LBG on the Laca debate: “Lacazette is finishing the season on a high. He may even lead us to glory in the Europa Cup and the Champions League next season. Should we extend his contract ( like Aubang, please not like Aubang!!) or cash in on a player who could otherwise be holding up the development of Martinelli and Balogun?”
Maxwell’s response: “LBG – a difficult one. Laca is my favourite player over the past three seasons. He rarely leaves anything out on the pitch. My preference would be to move Aubamayang on, not because he’s done anything wrong, his current slump notwithstanding, but as many have observed on here, he doesn’t fit well with Arteta’s design. I would then offer Laca a limited extension, maybe two years, but heavily incentivised, so that the base number wasn’t too eye watering. Mind you, I wish they’d do that with ALL contracts! He seems to have such a positive effect on the young players, he’d be worth retaining as they develop.”
Interesting debate started by LBG and a very interesting response from Maxwell…
Here is my 2 cents:
- Auba will not be moved on and will not want to move so that’s settled…I am hoping that he rediscovers his form so that we avoid another “Ozil” saga
- Laca will also stay. Arteta really rates him, He likes his ability to bring the team together and his leadership qualities. He is also liking Laca’s goals so I can see him getting a 2 year extension, indeed.
- Martinelli will also stay and he will be competing for the LFW position rather than the CF. Arteta is really working hard with him also on the personality aspect and everyone knows he is our future starter as LFW so no chance that he is leaving.
- Balogun has been extended and Arteta and Edu really rate him. I think he may be allowed to go on loan next year if we can’t give enough playing time in the first half of the season.
- This leaves us with Nketiah who I think will be allowed to leave and he may joined by Nelson, Willock and maybe AMN too.
So here is our forward line for me:
CF: Auba, Laca, Balo + 1 recruit a la “Giroud” (An aerial threat)
Wingers: Saka, Pepe, Martinelli and maybe Willian (?) although would be nice to replace Willian by F. Kostic for example.
What about you? Does Laca stay? Does he leave? Does Nketiah stay or does he leave?