Auba, Laca, Nketiah, Balogun, Martinelli – Which Forwards for next year?

LBG on the Laca debate: “Lacazette is finishing the season on a high. He may even lead us to glory in the Europa Cup and the Champions League next season. Should we extend his contract ( like Aubang, please not like Aubang!!) or cash in on a player who could otherwise be holding up the development of Martinelli and Balogun?”

Maxwell’s response: “LBG – a difficult one. Laca is my favourite player over the past three seasons. He rarely leaves anything out on the pitch. My preference would be to move Aubamayang on, not because he’s done anything wrong, his current slump notwithstanding, but as many have observed on here, he doesn’t fit well with Arteta’s design. I would then offer Laca a limited extension, maybe two years, but heavily incentivised, so that the base number wasn’t too eye watering. Mind you, I wish they’d do that with ALL contracts! He seems to have such a positive effect on the young players, he’d be worth retaining as they develop.”

Interesting debate started by LBG and a very interesting response from Maxwell…

Here is my 2 cents:

1. Auba will not be moved on and will not want to move so that’s settled…I am hoping that he rediscovers his form so that we avoid another “Ozil” saga
  2. Laca will also stay. Arteta really rates him, He likes his ability to bring the team together and his leadership qualities. He is also liking Laca’s goals so I can see him getting a 2 year extension, indeed.
  3. Martinelli will also stay and he will be competing for the LFW position rather than the CF. Arteta is really working hard with him also on the personality aspect and everyone knows he is our future starter as LFW so no chance that he is leaving.
  4. Balogun has been extended and Arteta and Edu really rate him. I think he may be allowed to go on loan next year if we can’t give enough playing time in the first half of the season.
  5. This leaves us with Nketiah who I think will be allowed to leave and he may joined by Nelson, Willock and maybe AMN too.

So here is our forward line for me:

CF: Auba, Laca, Balo + 1 recruit a la “Giroud” (An aerial threat)

Wingers: Saka, Pepe, Martinelli and maybe Willian (?) although would be nice to replace Willian by F. Kostic for example.

What about you? Does Laca stay? Does he leave? Does Nketiah stay or does he leave?

10 Responses to Auba, Laca, Nketiah, Balogun, Martinelli – Which Forwards for next year?

1. RC78 says:

Arteta on Pepe: “He needed an adaptation period. This period is over now. He needs to perform and he can perform. He knows rhe players, the coach and the staff are supporting him. Everyone at the club likes him because he is a very nice character. He does not have any excuses left. He can meet the big expectations but it depends on him. We can help him but ultimately, he needs to have the right mindset and coherence in his game to deliver on these expectations. If he is below the level we require of him, he will be on the bench. But if he does what he can do, there is a big chance for him to play because he has an incredible talent.” Very clear message from Arteta.

Great Post RC – thanks.

My three-hapenny-worth is that Balogun should go out on loan next season (to a PL club) so he can really develop his experience. He is a player for Arsenal from the 2022/23 season onwards.

I would rather keep Laca than Auba. If we sold Auba I would rather we used the money for another central striker than a winger (we are well served with wingers).

Then Laca could fight it out for a place with the new central striker, gradually becoming more of a super sub, but retaining his presence at the club to keep helping the youngsters. A two year extension would make sense in this case.

Martinelli then competes with Pepe for the place left vacant by Auba on the left wing.

In reality I suspect we’ll keep Auba (he has a huge deal which would make him difficult to sell) and we’ll let Laca go. I’m OK with that if we replace Laca with a dynamic central striker.

Eddie seems to be running out of road and could well be sold (although a year on loan at a club where he would get more playing time than he did at Leeds might be an option and give him a chance of making a breakthrough while still an Arsenal player).

3. fred1266 says:

Nice goal from willock

Willock’s doing well on his loan spell.

Toon fans seem to like him. I wouldn’t be surprised if they sign him in the summer.

5. fred1266 says:

He has been relegated to bench in the last 4 games but has scored 2 goals as a sub in the his last 2 games

I always wish we started players like willock over xhaka ceballos etc, so hope he is given a chance

6. LBG says:

What an absolute w*****, Mike Dean is! Fernandinho not booked when both fouls should have been.

7. LBG says:

Manshitty are a bunch of sly, cheating bas***** and commentators continue to”admire” their methods. Never thought I’d say it! Come on the Chelski.

8. allezkev says:

It’s going to be a major decision in the summer RC. We’ve been in this situation quite a few times in recent years with a player whose contract is running down and have extended the deal only to later regret it and that’s a big worry. With their age and mega contracts we aren’t moving on Willian or Aubameyang even if we wanted to and with Laca hitting 30 soon I don’t want us to get lumbered again.

I guess if we got a really good offer for a Laca then moving him on wouldn’t be so painful and there’s no reason to imagine that Aubameyang might not actually recapture his sparkle for next season anyway, so all hope isn’t lost there.

I’d also keep Balogun at Arsenal.

9. LBG says:

Another Sunday, and hopefully another dynamic win for the Gunners.
    Like to see Martinelli and Balogun start and tear in to the Cottagers. No weakened teams at this stage ( young does not mean weakened) of the season. Winning games of all kinds is what brings confidence and thus momentum. Make us smile Gunners.

New Post