Another loss at the Emirates and another really tasteless and toothless performance except for the first 10 minutes of the second half…Not many positives to take on tonight.
The numbers in the EPL are damning:
- 15th in the EPL, with only 13 points in 12 games and with a -5 goal difference (10 for, 15 against)
- 4th home defeat in a row for 1st time since 1959
- 1st defeat to Burnley in the EPL
- 1st goal conceded on a set piece
- 0 goal score in open play,,,
But tonight was worrying on many levels:
- Xhaka’s red card showed that he was still not learning anything but it also showed frustration
- Few minutes later El Neny could and should have been sent off
- Bellerin also getting carded
- Willian is still not hitting the next gear
- Auba is really looking like a lost puppy on the field;
- Creativity still a major issue, ineffective set-pieces and crosses still a trademark this season
- Laca missing a golden opportunity that could have paved the way for a victory
- Arteta unable to find a solution, which is the worse.
So where do we go from here? Well, if Arteta does not finally accept that he needs to do something different in terms of team set-up and squad selection, then I think we will be going straight to relegation battle because there is no reason why we would improve in this set-up although Martinelli and Partey will make a difference for sure but 2 players can’t solve everything.
If Arteta has some clue, he may at least start to:
- Go back to a system with 3 central defenders
- Rely more on youth and hungry players such as AMN and ESR for example
- Give a rest to Auba.
My problem was that the players really seemed to get frustrated on the pitch and that does not bode well because it shows lack of communication, lack of trust in each other, lack of trust in the manager’s instructions…If some are looking to replace Arteta already, Favre is now available.
Leno – 4
Bellerin – 3; Holding – 4; Gabriel – 4; Tierney – 5
El Neny – 4; Xhaka – 2
Willian – 3; Laca – 4 – Saka – 5
Auba – 3
Arteta – 2