Arsenal or England?

As the international break rumbles on, I thought you might enjoy a ‘thought experiment’ that I have played with my mates in the pub on occasion.

It tests how your allegiance to The Arsenal compares with your support for the England national team.

If you’re not English, please substitute your own national side for the boys with the three lions on their shirt.

It’s pretty simple and comes down to a series of questions to which the first part is always: “Would you rather England win the next World Cup or…”

Have at it.

RockyLives

23 Responses to Arsenal or England?

Thanks for playing.

I would love England to win the WC again in my lifetime.

But I’m afraid I will take any favourable outcome for my team ahead of ultimate glory for my country.

So I voted NO in all categories.

Does that make me a bad person? Possibly, but I don’t care.

Arsenal comes above all other footballing considerations for me.

2. Le Coq Monster says:

I voted in favour of The Arsenal in every one………………we are true Gooners, Rocky!

I even voted for The Arsenal on the question of………….Would you rather The Arsenal win the toss at the start of a game or make love to the wife tonight!……………..I`m always going to want a dedcent toss outcome!

3. Le Coq Monster says:

Those who voted not in favour of The Arsenal should be named and shamed!……………. 😆

Le CM

😀

Does matter whether the toss comes up head or tails?

6. Samuel says:

Arsenalfc is my club, and i want arsenal to achieve something better this season.

7. Aaron says:

Great poll Rocky.

Man, you are a machine, still processing a reply for the levels of despair.
    AFC of course!

8. Sue says:

Arsenal all the way!!! And I can’t wait until this drab break is over!!
    Shame Elneny tested positive again…. and now Kolasinac has it too 😫

Interesting – but not surprising – how the preference for England increases as the Arsenal achievements become more modest.

That was so much more thought provoking than I expected, I started with all the bravado in the world thinking: England to win the World Cup or Arsenal to win the Champions League, puh where is the doubt there?

And so it carried on but I have to admit it changed and I surprised myself where. It turned out to be the Europa maybe earlier than others but there you have it.

I leave with a new realisation: I am more of a patriot than I thought.

Clever post Rocky, thanks for taking the trouble.

11. LBG says:

Would you rather Totteringham be relegated or Arsenal win their next game?

LBG

Now that’s a nasty one.

I want to say Arsenal win their next game… but in my heart of hearts it would be worth sacrificing three points to see the denizens of the Armitage Shanks Arena drop down into the Championship.

* WEMBLEY TICKETS *

England v Scotland

Friday 18th June 2021

This may be of interest. A friend of mine has two tickets in a corporate box for England v Scotland. He paid £300 each, but he didn’t realise when he bought them that it was going to be the same day as his Covid 19 postponed wedding. If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place.

It’s at Kilburn Registry Office, at 2.30pm. The bride’s name is Moira, she’s 5’4″, about 8 stone, quite pretty, has her own income and is a really good cook.

I found this a bit more of a dilemma than first meets the eye.

Can we see a photo of the young lady?

15. Sue says:

LB.. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 brilliant!!

42 mins
    Post update
    Wales 1-0 Finland

Football with no fans is rubbish, on this we all agree.

But if you, like me, need to spend a penny, you won’t be complaining in a minute when there is no queue to get into your own bathroom.

I also won’t charge myself £2 for a cuppa.

17. LBG says:

Answer
    See Totteringham relegated ( with Moaninho, remember) after postponement of Arsenal’s next match duty to cataclysmic rain storm flooding the pitch, ( knew the big man was a Gooner), with match to be replayed at end of season after Arsenal have won the Premier League. Simples!

18. Pete the Thirst says:

Lolz Rocky. Arsenal always win for me, but I felt a bit of sympathy for England in the last few examples.

I’m not a big international football fan, but have been to some big games.

I fluked a ticket for the Euro ’96 semi between England & Germany at Wembley. I was sat right near the pitch. Great seat. Despite being rather tipsy on the way in I found the atmosphere disappointing. Considering the importance of the game the fans around me didn’t seem to be getting into the singing or didn’t really understand the rules of the game, which was weird.

The most comical moment was on the very slow walk up Wembley Way to catch the tube the German fans were singing ‘Football’s Coming Home’ in English. Had to hand it to them.

19. Maxwell says:

A long time ago I would go to every England game at Wembley. Those days are long gone. Autres temps, autres moeurs. They went with the rise of fan fascism in the 80s. I used to go with a few mates, a couple of whom were black. They had to stand there and listen to the vile bile pouring from the nazis mouths.

I now have no truck with the national team, or indeed nationalism. And now national sovereignty is the lining of the sewer that is Brexit, one of the least important catastrophes of which will be the mess it leaves British clubs in when freedom of movement ceases.

You may think I’ve gone off on an irrelevant rant, but for me all the above is seamlessly joined.

Moreover, the England football team is always an embarrassment, and I hate it when Arsenal players are selected.

Oh, and to cap it all: the imposition of a meaningless tournament to players who are already being broken by the compressed season, has, surprise, surprise, led to an increase in COVID-positive tests as players mingle from different clubs and across national borders.

Good poll though!

20. Pete the Thirst says:

Ah Maxwell…the dark days….

I’ve had some encounters with the England hooligans over the years. One group were among the most disgusting people I have ever met. Needless to say I didn’t stick around for long.

I’ve been to a few World Cups & Euros abroad and the groups that seem intent on causing bother are usually drawn from these clubs: Chelsea; Millwall; West Ham; Stoke & Leeds. As for fascism/racism the worst by a mile were Chelsea followed by Leeds.

As far as I’m concerned anybody that goes abroad intent on causing trouble deserves everything that is coming their way.

21. jjgsol says:

I watched the second half, last night and it was the same unimaginative rubbish that we have been serving up since Wenger left.

Every time that Grealish had the ball you felt that there was the hope of something different and exciting, but to no avail. He usually passed it back to someone and the passing around continued,

It is not, unfortunately, not just us where creativity is being stifled.

PIt us against someone good, like Spain or France, and they will do what Spain did to Germany.

We were pretty uninspiring against an unadventurous Belgium, supposedly the best in the world.

The safety-first attitude is turning the game from being a spectator sport to a money-making enterprise, with precious value for money.

The teams have got away with it over the last 8-9 months because the fans cannot come to watch.

Once the novelty of being allowed to go to games wears off, how many fans would be prepared to pay their hard-earned money on watching that?

22. VP says:

The best survey in a very long time. Arsenal all the way. Croatia to win the next WC😂

New Post