Do all roads lead to Rome to find the solution to our midfield conundrum?

It is not a secret that we are trying to strengthen our midfield – there are two profiles targeted:

1. DM
  2. 1 more attacking CM

A lot of names have been heard such as Partey, Rice, Zacaria, Doucoure for the DM and for the CM, we are still looking at Ceballos but Coutinho and Grealish have also been mentioned…

But what if the solution was in Rome? and more specifically at AS Roma. Why AS Roma? Because we have a good bargaining chip with Mkhy who would like to stay there and Roma is keen to keep him and is open to exchanging players so which players could be looked at:

• Amadou Diawaya is a player that has impressed this year with Roma playing as a Defensive Midfielder. The Guinean is 23 years old and has made the headlines because of his ability to cover a lot of grounds. A player that can be seen like a hybrid between Kante and Matuidi although he is not as good as them yet and is currently valued 20 Mln EUR.
  • Jordan Veretout is a player that has been monitored by AFC since last year. He is a versatile central midfielder who is known mostly for his defensive capabilities and his first pass. At 27 years old, he is valued at roughly 25 Mln EUR.
  • Lorenzo Pellegrini – the heir to De Rossi at Roma. A deep-laying playmaker that has a good reputation when it comes to his passing ability, his long range shot and is also regarded for his defensive contribution. Excellent delivery on set-pieces and at 24 years old, he is valued at 32 Mln.
  • Nicolo Zaniolo – a central attacking midfield and if Pellegrini is seen as a De Rossi, Zaniolo is more likened to the great Totti. Zaniolo is a more physical presence than Totti but he is less quick and his dribbling is not as mesmerizing. That said, he is seen as the crown of the Squadra Azzura for the years to come – he will probably (with age) play less as an attacking player and more as a central midfielder. He is touted to be a great and at 21, he is already valued at 55 Mln EUR.

Since Mkhy is valued at 20 Mln, it seems that we could get a good midfielder to strenghten our squad and address our DM or CM issue depending on whether we can manage to keep Ceballos.

So my fellow gooners, do all the roads lead to Rome when it comes to addressing our midfield conundrum?

19 Responses to Do all roads lead to Rome to find the solution to our midfield conundrum?

1. RC78 says:

@Fred – seems Saliba did not look too shabby yesterday 🙂

2. LBG says:

Get rid of some of the dross and pay Athletico for Partey.

3. RC78 says:

In that case, we may even be able to do a swap deal between Partey and Laca…let us see

4. RC78 says:

Not sure if you see the actual results with the player comparison I did but overall, Pelligrini has the best rating and 9 assists and then interestingly, Veretout who plays as a DM has 6 goals but in terms of rating, he is 3rd out of 4. Diawara leads in tackles and interceptions and Veretout in clearances and blocks. Veretout leads in average passes per game, pass success rate and long balls success rate.

Purely based on stats and if we are going for a defensive midfielder, then it would seem that it would be a toss between Diawara and Veretout with Diawara being more like Gueye/Ndidi and Veretout offering a bit less defensively but a lot more in terms of passing and goals…

5. jjgsol says:

With respect, what do any of us know about any of the players you refer to or, indeed, any others, to be able to advise the club, who have professionals to do this job, as to which player to buy or, indeed, which ones to sell?

Forgive me for sounding so negative, but, really, why is anyone discussing this, when none of us has a clue about any of these players that would make any difference.

Are we not simply blogging for the sake of it?

Instead, why are we not commenting on what we saw last night?

I, for one, was impressed with Elneny’s goal.

I have always thought he was a good player. Nothing spectacular, no Vierra, and how many of them are there, but he does the job.

I only saw most of the first half, and was not impressed, but, there again the players have only just got back from the beach.

But what was marked, was the total lack of creativity as well as too much effort from Auba.

6. RC78 says:

Hi Jigsol – please be so kind to send a post to Peaches about the post-match report. We could then discuss it. On my side, I did not see it so it is hard to put smt together without watching the game. I was just relieved to hear that Saliba did rather well.

As for the players mentioned in this post, it was a mere intent to raise our bloggers’ curiosity about them in case they do not follow the Serie A. I follow the Italian league for one so I thought I d just share some ideas but you are correct in the sense that maybe these players are not known to many – hence the link to whoscored.com

7. fred1266 says:

8. RC78 says:

@Fred – hilarious

9. fred1266 says:

Yea he was great RC78 only thing I find worrying he steps really high to make his tackle, I know when the likes of luiz, mustafi and sokratis does it they are always beaten for pace so how would saliba coop

10. RC78 says:

Saliba is still young and can learn 🙂 and he is not too slow either 😛

11. fred1266 says:

Surely he can’t be slower than totti

12. LBG says:

RC
    Many here have appreciated your considerable efforts to put up posts for discussion on AA. Thank you.
    If people dont want to comment or feel ill-equipped to express a view, no problem, but efforts to keep the site going are certainly greatly appreciated by me.

13. fred1266 says:

Just read that they not willing swap partey and lacazette instead they willing to give us lemar, vitolo or correa

They have to be made

14. fred1266 says:

Also what about torreira

Also heard we have hit a bumb with Ceballos

RC,

Picking up from LBG @ 4:55pm.

Again you have my admiration and respect for writing Posts so consistently interesting and well thought out, and giving up your time to do so.

None of us think that Arsenal and its professional staff take the slightest notice when we discuss, with other bloggers, our views on players, but we like chatting about Arsenal in general, and relevant potential transfers, or the abilities or lack of them we perceive in various players, simply because we are bloggers – funnily enough.

I cannot understand, and neither do I want to understand, why someone questions the pointlessnes of us blogging, while pointlessly blogging himself to tell us we are pointlessly blogging — and now I am pointlessly blogging about his pointless comment.

But I will continue to blog about Arsenal with fellow Arsenal bloggers/fans on AA — as I have done for about 10 years — and also to appreciate your efforts on behalf of your fellow friends and bloggers. 😁

Thank you.

16. RC78 says:

Dear all – thanks a lot for all your kind words (LBG, RA). I just want to put out there that anyone is more than welcome to write some posts to discuss issues they feel are relevant and interesting. I do not mind the slightest any form of disagreement or constructive feedback but I do perfer solutions so please anyone that wants to write something, do let Peaches know and we will be very happy to put your posts up 🙂

Fred – I d not take Lemar, Vitolo or Correa from Atletico although all our rather good players.

17. fred1266 says: