Would Jack Grealish Be a Good Fit For Arsenal?

Jack Grealish is backing up his good performances last season with a solid season this year.

He has already recorded more goals (8) this year, has created 52 chances (4th in the EPL) but ranks 1st in creating chances from open play (46 to 33 for Sterling who is second)) and is the most fouled players in the EPL (88 fouls to 66 for Zaha who is second). He is playing as a fake left-winger and is given a type of hybrid role where he can also play as a false nine. He is also a player that does not hesitate to contribute defensively and he is someone who will work his socks off.

Should we go for him?

1. Yes, he is on his way to become a top EPL player and is only aged 24 and can play as a CM, AML and FW. He could be Ozil’s successor in time as a 10 (his preferred position). Better to get him now than later…He seems to have the engine to meet the demands of Arteta’s intense playing style.
  2. No, he is already too expensive for us (pbbly over 60 Mln EUR) and we do not want to limit the growth potential of Martinelli, Saka, Willock and Nelson.

What is your take on this very good but somehow divisive player…?

RC78

21 Responses to Would Jack Grealish Be a Good Fit For Arsenal?

1. LBG says:

None of these. Guendouzi will have a same or similar benefit…..as will Martinelli, Smith-Rowe. He would be 60m wasted. “Use the yoof” for not much or nothing.

2. Sue says:

A massive yes from me!!

3. John Paterson says:

He’d fit in well with any of the so called top teams but he’s Villa through and through and that’s where he’s staying

Thanks RC. I really rate him and the ability he has at 24 is already fantastic. On top of that he is a strong lad and an athlete and English. I think he will get better still once surrounded by better players.

Actually I read somewhere that he had a release clause of £45m, but am not sure how true this is, but if it was true, then with his age and ability, it would make him a bargain.

I definitely think he is on his way to a top club next summer at the latest. and in reality I think he will have a choice to make because I think he will have at least 2 top options. It may come down to which big club really needs him the most, and can therefore guarantee, more or less, that he will become the hub of the team.

Man Utd spring to mind as seriously lacking that quality number 8 type CM who can do a bit of everything from scoring to creating to defensive work. It should have been Pogba but I think he is finished at Utd and all that is remaining is where they can get the best deal. With that in mind, if I were a betting man, then I would say he will be a Utd player next year.

Spurs will also desperately need a player like him because Eriksson is also gone by the summer at the latest, if not this TW. I would put them behind Utd in the pecking order though.

Man City have De-Bruyne, Gundogan, Foden, Sterling who can all play that role so the need for Grealish is less and I think he will realise he will get less playing time if he went there. I also feel Liverpool have that position well covered as well. Maybe we should mention Leicester now but with Maddison there that will not happen, and I still think his next move will be to a traditionally bigger club than that.

Then to us. I kind of agree with LBG in some ways that he may get in the way of a couple of our younger emerging talents, but at the same time there is a lot of uncertainty as to how they will develop from this point anyway. I want to see them all succeed but this is never always the case.

I have a feeling that we will move towards a 3 man CM with one more specific holding midfielder and 2 number 8 types that can carry the ball, create and score. Grealish in my mind would be one of those number 8’s and would be competing with ESR, Douzi, and Willock.

Ozil occupies one of those spots for the time being as our one true recognised world class player in that role, but we all know his time is more limited with us now, 1 more season at the most. We have glimpses of what ESR, Douzi and Willock can offer and become, but at the moment none of them are at Grealish’s level.

ESR I have often said I feel has the highest ceiling of the 3 if he realises his full potential, and I could easily see him becoming every bit like Grealish, Maddison or even De-Bruyne. However, injuries have hampered him so we don’t quite know if he will get to that level or when.

Willock I think will stay with us. Depending on his technical development he will either become a top player who is one of the first on the team sheet, or become an excellent squad player due to his energy and work rate. I think him being English will keep him here regardless as long as he is playing a reasonable amount of games.

Douzi is the interesting one as I know he is many fans favourite out of the emerging youngsters. I like him and again he could become something special but I still have some nagging doubts.

The first one is that his game style feels a bit too slow and casual to me at the moment for the EPL. If the pace of his game increases as he develops then he will be a special player, but if that is just the way he is destined to be as a player, then I will start to wonder if he is just one of those top players that is more suited to another league.

We will undoubtedly be getting interest from top clubs overseas if he keeps improving and you just wonder how tempted he will be by that, not being a born and bred English Gooner. The whisperings from other top clubs from outside the EPL historically seem to eventually affect most of the top foreign players.

With all that in mind if the opportunity to secure a top ready made home grown player in a position that is traditionally difficult to find top quality in, especially ones that can do it in the faster more physical EPL, then I think it would be remiss to pass up on Grealsih should the opportunity present itself.

I think we will be behind others in the pecking order, particularly Utd, but you just never know. If Arteta develops this team over the coming months and Grealish likes what he sees and fancies playing under our young dynamic coach then I would seize the opportunity.

Hi John, I am going to assume (might be wrong) that you are a Villan, and can I say for most of us on here we enjoy chewing the fat with other fans. It takes you outside your own bubble and gives a greater perspective.

Anyway, I would have to disagree with that. I can believe that he loves Villa totally, but the limited life of a top footballer with ambitions will temper that with pragmatism about career progression.

Sorry mate but he will go and likely this summer. The only thing that will stop this would be a Man City type take over at Villa and the possibility of spending your way back to modern big club status, otherwise I think he will think about winning silverware and getting into the England team.

6. My word he would. An excellent English creative player.Is it a rumour?

7. Sue. I think it’s those legs & hair that do it for you

Thanks RC. I like him as a player – for all the attributes you list. I think he’d get into the first team (on a rotational basis) and be able to play Arteta ball … so it’s a yes from me.

Better he comes to us than joins the tiny totts!

How very dare you Self Righteous … Sue is being totally objective in her assessment of him as a footballer … Not 🙂

Would Grealish improve our squad today? Absolutely.

If Xhaka were to leave next week it seems to me that he would make a very good replacement; Grealish and Torreira next to each other with the Uruguayan shielding the defence and Villa’s favourite playing the more advanced role that Xhaka has been allotted in the last few games. Grealish has developed a talent for scoring goals which makes him a valuable asset and certainly one that we could benefit from.

Do I see this happening? Not really and certainly not if Xhaka stays.

With Xhaka at the club Arsenal simply continue with their succession plan of Guendouzi and Smith-Rowe (lab)

Good question though, thanks RC

11. Sue says:

Hahaha, SR…definitely the legs, helps that he wears those shrunk in the tumble dryer socks 😂

Rasp.. 😂 I’ve always thought he was good (irrespective of those calves!!)

12. Aaron says:

Interesting question, but a better question is what defender can we get as a stop gap in January or summer.

Answered none.

All the people above answered it correctly.

Yes, of course.

English, will be too much $$.

Will hinder our youngsters.

Do we actually need an 8 right now?

Douzi going to come good? Have my doubts.

Not bothered in the least.

None of the above.

All the above.

Other priorities right now for Mikel to move this team forward again next year.

Good player, but we have a lot of promising youngsters coming through in MF. I’d be more interested in a defender…

14. RC78 says:

I am in two minds to be honest and agree that the priority is a CB especially after Chambers injury.

In any case, if Grealish joined us, he would make our squad better so if we can get him at around 45 Mln, then why not? I would then see us loan Saka or Nelson out as it seems that we won’t sell Xhaka unfortunately

15. LBG says:

John Jules to Lincoln!!? Should score a hatful!

16. RC78 says:

Leno – Bellerin, Recruit, Luiz, Kola – Torreira, Xhaka – Pepe, Grealish, Auba – Laca

?

17. allezkev says:

If we could afford it, after addressing other areas of the team/squad next summer then yeah, I’d love us to get him (Grealish).

TJJ to Lincoln is a great move for the lad.
    Arsenal Youth beat Southampton Yth 1-0 in FAYC.

Sam Greenwood looks a very promising player.

18. RC78 says:

Lots of votes, few comments… First week back at work stress? Happy Friday everyone

19. Hi RC78 ………….. your post was actually read by just under 1500 people so it got a lot of exposure even though not many voted or commented. Lets see if today’s gets more people chatting……

Back in a bit …………