Arsenal v West Ham pre match ………

Having not won in our last 7 PL games, we travel to the London Stadium to face a West Ham side, winless in their last 4 home games, sitting 16th in the table, only 3 points behind us!!

Our last away win was back in August, against Newcastle!! Sheesh!! So, needless to say I’m very nervous about this game (& not only because half of my family are Hammers!)

I’m hoping it’ll be 3rd time lucky for Freddie, who’s bound to get a warm reception from the home fans, having been a Hammer for the 2007-08 season.

I came across these interesting facts –

1) Aubameyang hasn’t scored against West Ham in 3 appearances.

2) We haven’t scored in our last 2 visits to the London Stadium.

3) West Ham have lost a PL high of 29 matches on a Monday. While only the Mancs (43) have won more than us (39)

I also saw that Felipe Anderson hasn’t scored/assisted in his last 8 appearances, oh great, we all know what will happen tonight!!

For them, our former keeper, Fabianski, is still out injured. Wilshere is a doubt. If selected, Mark Noble will make his 500th senior appearance 👏

For us, Ceballos is still out, Holding to be assessed.

This is the team I’d like to see –

Leno

Bellerin   Chambers   Luiz  Kolasinac

Guendouzi  Torreira   Martinelli

Pepe  Ozil  Aubemeyang

We really need to get back to winning ways, as we’re too close to the bottom 3 for my liking!!

Oh jeez, Mike Dean is refereeing, so more than likely we’ll be playing against 12 men!! 😬

My heart says we’ll win 2-1, but my head says 2-2….. COYG!!!

Sue

142 Responses to Arsenal v West Ham pre match ………

1. Morning all and thank you Sue for the pre match. Here’s hoping your pre match can bring us some luck tonight.

When you saw how the Everton players had responded to the Dunc effect you have to wonder if our players have a heart at all!!!!!!! Maybe they’ve taken some inspiration from that ……… hope so.

2. seedeee says:

Nice pre match Sue thank you. I’m putting a fiver on a Felipe Anderson brace lol.

Loved seeing Dunc get that reaction from his players, you could see it meant so much to him/them. All the better for being against the Chavs.

I just can’t see that reaction from our boys happening unfortunately. All I’m hoping for is a better performance, get some confidence back and hopefully a result will follow.

It will be tight that’s for sure, I can’t see anything but a draw tbh. But let’s hope the Arsenal of yesteryear turn up and give us fans all an early Christmas presie and a bit of optimism going into the festive season.

I’d like to see the following line up but it won’t happen:

Leno
    Bellerin – Chambers – Holding – Tierney
    Xhaka – Luiz
    Pepe – Ozil – Nelson
    Martinelli

Chris

Good Morning Folks, and especially you Sue on your maiden pre-Match Post. 👍👍

I am very impressed with your style, as it was just like chatting to a fellow (fellow-ess (?) Gooner down the pub — well done indeed, you have taken to it like a duck in orange sauce.

[Mental note to self – Chinese tonight – mmm]

4. Sue says:

Only a fiver, seedeee?! 😂😂😂
    And I loved the way Big Dunc went over and engaged with the fans after! It was a brilliant performance, even if they did have to carry Iwobi 😬😆. Always nice seeing Chelsea lose 😉
    Defo need a win as City are up next and I can’t imagine them losing 2 on the spin!
    I’m going with 4231 with Auba up top.. as I don’t think it matters where you put Martinelli, as he’ll cover every blade of grass, multiple times, being the little duracell bunny that he is!!
    Let’s just hope they turn up with their cojones!

And now for the tricky bit, Sue.

We can no longer be friends — you put that Rag Doll, known as Belli Button in your preferred team — you know he is the kiss of death – (not that I have ever kissed him) – so it is Sayonara, Goodbye, à Bientot, so long — at least until I have had a coffee. 🐒

6. Sue says:

Hello RA.. I would say around 4 or 5 are the kiss of death atm!! Anyway, I like Belli Button.. so there 😛
    Sshhhh… can you hear that?!……. silence…. no singing!!! Hurrah hurrah!!! 😎

7. JM says:

Xhaka, Guendouzi, Chambers and Sokratis are all on 4 yellow cards each. Getting another one in this match against West Ham shall get them an automatic 1 match ban in the league, i.e. the next match against Man. City (at home).
    It would be a big handicap for the 1st team if we lose all 4 of them for that match (together with the injury/recovery of Ceballos & Holding).

I would personally try to balance out the functionality and mitigate the risk for the team.

Starting:

Leno; Bellerin, Chambers, Sokratis, Tierney; Torreira, Luiz, Ozil; Pepe, Aubameyang, Martinelli

Bench:

Emiliano, Maitland-Niles, Kolasinac, Xhaka, Willock, Lacazette, Nelson

Thanks Sue, great post and interesting stats. Some in our favour and others against us, although we now seem to be the kings of ridiculing stats that should be in our favour.

“This team or that player hasn’t done this or that for 30 years or since November 2018. Well here you go, let’s help you break that hoodoo, and not only that, we’ll hand it to you on a plate”.

Personally I would split our problems into 3 general categories. Firstly a lack of quality in certain areas of the team. Secondly a poorly balanced team where one part doesn’t compliment another despite each individual part being independently good. Thirdly adopting a poor playing style despite having the inherent ability to play a better way.

The first we can’t address right now, so there is no point overly dwelling on it. We have to wait till January at least, but more likely the summer with many clubs and players not wanting a mid season disruption.

The second is a failing of many years now. It seems to be far worse recently, but even as far back as 2014 we always lacked something to balance the side out. Remember the perennial “we are 2-3 players short”? Unfortunately Sue, that is why I can’t go with your suggested team (no offence), purely because it looks like the same old failed line ups we have been witnessing for some time now

…..unless….Freddie has addressed the third problem with aplomb in 1 week. Could it be that he has been going all Svengali on them in the last week and that they will come out a team reborn, rising like a phoenix from the ashes with a renewed confidence and will play forward thinking pacier football coupled with a better drilled and mentally prepared mindset on what to do when not in possession and defending.

Alas I can not see it being quite that dramatic that quickly, although I do hope that Freddie has managed to plant the seeds of psychological change into them to some degree. If he has then we may get a better showing, but I think trying a different team set-up is important, and it shouldn’t be just putting out the same, or similar, as we have been and hoping for better. There needs to be something new or a bit more seismic tried. A new combination or partnership that we haven’t tried but that could really work. My preference is part yours and part Seedee’s line up.

Bellerin seems short of confidence and/or sharpness since his return from injury so I think I would give AMN another go there. He had some iffy games but also some very good ones. Tierney is at LFB because…well because he is better balanced in attack and defence. Chambers and Holding (if fit) take up the CB’s and Luiz goes into DM alongside Torreira. Ozil gets the free role behind the front 3 of Auba, Laca and Pepe.

Leno
    AMN, Chambers, Holding, Tierney
    Luiz, Torreira
    Ozil
    Pepe, Laca, Auba

A new combination to try with Luiz and Torreira. Admittedly it looks very defensive with the back 4 and the 2 in front, but at the same time it is a very attacking front 4. At the moment a Luiz / Torreira combination with 2 CB’s behind is the only way I can see us solidifying against opposition runners driving through the midfield……2 proper lines of defence. On the flip side, what I am hoping is that it will give us a strong enough foundation so as to really free up the front 4 for an all out attack.

9. RC78 says:

Thanks for the post and like many fellow bloggers, I just can’t see us get a result…Our form is abysmal, the change of coach has yet to energize the team and we still don’t seem to have a better shape defensively so…no indicators for optimism

On my side, I want FL to be bold and energize the team so why not:

Leno – Bellerin, Medley, Luiz, Kola – Chambers, Douzi – Pepe, Laca, Martinelli – Auba OR

Bench: Martinez, AMN, Mustafi, Xhaka, Torreira, Willock, ESR, Ozil, Saka, Jules

Ours are not too dissimilar JM. My choice after Holding would be Mustaffi, not because it is ideal, but just that recently I feel he is slightly more up to it than Socratis.

I didn’t know about all those players 1 game away from a ban JM but with my suggested team only featuring 1 of them I will stick with my line up even more so 🙂

11. LBG says:

RC
    A non game playing Medley, with three non defenders!!! A disaster waiting to happen IMO.

12. Sue says:

RC.. If we lose tonight.. and what with City, Chelsea and the Mancs on the horizon (actually we struggle against everyone these days).. I really do fear for our safety. It’s so easy to play against us and get a result these days.. everyone can’t wait to play us home or away!!

What annoys me, especially after watching Leicester yesterday is, we were heavily linked with Soyuncu… and look how good he is!! Even Jonny Evans is playing well.. he was only 2 or 3m? But no, instead we end up with DL to go with Sok and Mustafi 😩
    I’m so jealous of Leicester right now, they’re all playing well, as a team.. and Brenda has worked wonders…. I desperately want them to catch Liverpool!!! 😀

13. Sue says:

I like the idea of Luiz with Torreira, GB.. before he went off injured the other week, I liked what I saw, he’d be so much better there than at CB… and my blood pressure wouldn’t be as high 😆

Very interesting article RC. Kind of what many of us have been saying for ages. Also an interesting bit about Douzi and Xhaka surrendering possession and this resulting in more direct shots on our goal than with any other players, and in a team that has given up more shots on goal than any other team.

This is why I haven’t always felt the same as many that Douzi is currently a beacon of light. He is a great prospect with raw quality but I don’t feel he is quite 1st 11 on a regular basis yet.

That article makes you wonder how it is that a club at our level, and successive managers, have carried on with the same player combinations in midfield. I really just do not get it. Try something different at least.

Although it is worse now than it has ever been, this trend of our team (defence) being the easiest to get at by going through our midfield is one that has been an ever present thorn in our side for at least 5 years or so.

15. RC78 says:

Sue – I am not a fan of Soyuncu but I think we could have gambled on Evans. I also said last season or the one before that we should make a move for Pereira and Ndidi – these guys are incredible…Rodgers is doing a great job there and good for them. I like their team, the way they play and I like also their spirit – I have the most fun watching them out of all PL teams. Truth be told, I do find some excitement watching Utd and Chelsea play sometimes and I am often in awe with City. I got bored with Liverpool.

If we lose tonight, we might as well call Benitez or Allardice (lol – just joking here) although they are used to scraping wins and solidifying defences. Losing tonight means we will struggle until the end of the season. Winning tonight will give us a boost and hope. Drawing tonight will not help our cause. It is a must win must win if we want to have a bit of dignity this season.

16. RC78 says:

LBG – I think Medley is playing with the Academy team, no?

17. JM says:

@GoonerB 12:16pm,

In my team,

Playing both Torreira and Luiz in the centre midfield pivot partnership also addresses a very important factor – communication. Torreira speaks little English, mainly Spanish; Luiz – Spanish, Portuguese, English and maybe a little French (from his PSG days).

It might seemed a very minor thing in the grandest of tactical schemes but is actually very essential in the “split-second” decision making (i.e. the thought process happening in the brain before calling/shouting out in verbal form) for players on the pitch. Since they have to play closely with one another in midfield, both Torreira & Luiz can converse the football jargon in Spanish on when to go for a tackle, cover space, drop back, move the ball forward, go long or short pass etc.

If it were Chambers in DM, I would play Willock alongside him in CM. (Then, with Holding and Luiz at CB).

Torreira (DM/CM-R) and his flank-man, Bellerin – communicating in Spanish.

With Luiz in (DM/CM-L), he should play closer as well to Martinelli, who I would start in LM/LW/LF spot. Luiz-Martinelli communicating in Portuguese.

Martinelli and Pepe (RM/RW/RF) are my instigators on the flanks linking with Aubameyang (who speaks both French and a little Portuguese).

Ozil should be able to read the running and positioning of all 3 of them if he would be the midfield conductor on the day.

Furthermore, I would have played Guendouzi closer to Aubameyang/Lacazette and Pepe, as a rotating alternative to Ozil at AM instead. The 4 of them could communicate in fluent French for making/calling out those split-second decisions (quick passing, positioning play and shooting), especially vital in the attacking 3rd and in penalty area.

LIkewise, for a more communicating backline of 4 of fluent English speaking players (best scenario: Bellerin/Maitland-Niles, Chambers, Holding, Tierney). Mustafi and Kolasinac can also speak English, although they are more fluent with German. Sokratis should be able to speak both English and German (from his Dortmund days). I would try out a Mustafi & Sokratis CB-pairing, for example.

18. Sue says:

Everton and Emery 🤔

Thanks Sue – very enjoyable pre-match.

All I want to see tonight is one (or possibly two) midfielders staying in defensive positions for most of the game.

The only way we can build our way out of this catastrophic slump is by tightening things up at the back. We know there are question marks against many – if not all – of our defenders, so let’s give them extra support with a proper defensive set-up in MF.

My preference would be Chambers in a DM role but, like Emery, Freddie seems to have no interest in that.

In which case I would put Torreira in that position but I would have him wear one of those electric shock collars some (cruel) people use to train their dogs. Every time Terrier (see what I did there?) goes past the half way line the collar would activate and he’d get a nasty shock, reminding him that he’s meant to be staying in his own half.

Assuming it won’t be Chambers, I’d put Terrier and Xhaka at the base of MF with both being ordered to see their roles as primarily defensive.

Gwen as the box-to-box man. Don’t care about who plays ahead of them, it’s more important that we stop letting opponents waltz through our team as if our players are training dummies.

JM, I see Douzi as a further forward midfielder as well, but would it be a box to box type or more ACM? Despite Douzi’s obvious talent and prospects I then ask would he be ahead of the likes of Maddison, Grealish, Tielemans, e.t.c in a first team set up and I can’t say yes. This is why I feel he is a 1st 11 player but not first choice 1st 11. He needs a lot more coaching and experience to be that.

Rocky, the Torreira, Xhaka, Douzi midfield is one we have tried on many occasions and has still been found wanting. It is better than some other combinations we have tried admittedly (mainly because Torreira brings a tad more solidity) but has been shown to still be over-run by many other EPL midfields and, I hate to say it, not even just the top clubs midfields either.

The most damning stats with us right now are the sheer number of shots on our goal. It is at an unprecedented level and is at a level normally associated with a club that gets relegated. We can see it with our own eyes as well how easily even mid to lower table teams run through our midfield.

I would probably refer to that article that RC put up. It explains everything perfectly, but also points towards a Douzi / Xhaka partneship as a potentially dangerous one. As it says, no Arsenal players have made as many unforced errors that surrender possession which in turn leads to a shot on our goal as much as Douzi and Xhaka.

Not for me, if we really want to draw a line under our frailties and turn that corner and solidify in front of the defence, it has to be a different combination, not the same ones that haven’t worked. I have no worries about Douzi coming good in the long run. He already is good, just not quite good enough for me right now. He is young and has time, but right now I think he needs to become less a 1st on the team sheet and more of an off the bench player.

Well, well, Sue your post has attracted some very good comments — now we need to get at least a draw tonight. 😁

It must be a feminine virtuosity, as Peaches writes exceedingly well too. 👍👍

I made a mistake earlier, I meant to liken your Post writing aptitude as being similar to a duck being drawn to water, but instead, somehow detoured into à l’orange (orange sauce) instead.

I have to admit I do like roast duck, but let’s hope the team are not out for a duck tonight. 😳

Do you think I am mixing my metaphors?

Sue, you gave some interesting stats in your Post, but did you know, that Mark Noble started his footballing career at Arsenal from 1998 to 2000, before trotting off to Wham.

Wham info always say he was a one club man, (bit like Kane/Spuds), but they, like Kane, try to hide his youth team training at the real home of football – Arsenal.

Just saying. 😉

Rocket,

I would like to go on record as saying I totally agree with your comment @ 2:40 pm, although I might be drawn to insisting on the immediate application of electric dog collars for both Xhaka and the Terrier (rather apt, Rocky) — and if one or both of them wander over the halfway line tonight – I will insist that dog collar clause should be included in any contract extension. 😜

Gooner B,

I tend to write my series of comments in order of reading, and altho I agree with the Rocking man, as I said previously, you have made a valiant point about our midfield and in particular your concerns over Dozy.

“Valiant point”? Well you have said this on other occasions, and why not, but I am not convinced yet. Dozy is an all-round midfielder with the athleticism, strength, and pace that literally dwarfs the film flam Terrier, and far out-strips the capability of Xhaka, and all this at a very youthful stage of his career.

You are, of course, correct, that Dozy is not the finished product yet, but he will get better as he gains more experience, as you said.

And with that — sayonara folks — until game time! 😳

26. LBG says:

RC
    Correct! My fault. I mean not having played any first team games ( for a long time, and then at left back). In rugby we would call it a hospital pass selection!

27. Sue says:

RA.. Hope you’re enjoying your duck 😉
    Yes, I did know that about Noble 👍

28. fred1266 says:

rc78 will it be ok to walk up to a French girl and say bonjour while giving them a kiss on both checks

29. RC78 says:

@fred – do you know her from before? Have you chatted to her before meeting her? Are you being introduced by a friend? If yes to all the above – then yes 😉 if not, then you may at first extend your hand but you may be able to kiss her good bye on the cheeks et plus si affinites 😉 am in Brussels by the way so we can meet up on your way to liege or on your way back

30. fred1266 says:

Thanks for the advice,

not going to Brussels again have such a horrible time with the language barrier actual can’t take no more of it also think of leaving France early just because I find it so difficult to communicate

31. I knew it was a good plan to put a pic of Martinelli in the post 😁

32. Aaron says:

Like the lineup with the exception of Bel and Sok, would have liked to see Holding and AMN in back.
    Still feel the left hand side will have a large whole in the middle depending on where Mesut floats to, and hope Tor is told to say in front of the back four and NOT go to the opponents 18 yard box.

Maybe Freddie can coach these lads to foul on the break to not let the opposition run riot through the middle or on the counter!

33. seedeee says:

I like the lineup better than previous games – I’m certainly glad Martinelli starts. Having seen sok and chambers names in their CB position I do wonder if they will able to keep track of Antonio and Anderson, if either of them get the run on those two I’ll be closing my eyes. I think Tierney and Bellerin have a big part to play covering those two should this inevitably happen…

34. Fouling on the break must’ve gone out of style Aaron, we’ve not done it for ages.

I just hope they remember how to play football.

35. Anyone remember who’s on 4 yellows? I can’t remember who posted the information earlier …….

36. RC78 says:

Am annoyed that there is no Laca or Douzi, not bc they re French but because they play with heart. Not happy with Sok and scared about the Xhaka, Torreira – Ozil axis…

Am hoping for a win but am not impressed with the line up except for Chambs in CD, Pepe and Martinelli

Fred – france is not easy to live in especially if you are in an area that is less urban. That said, come to Brussels 😉

37. RC78 says:

Laca has a groin pain and hence is replaced by Martinelli in the line up according to FL

38. Sue says:

Xhaka, Guendouzi, Chambers, Sokratis.. JM said earlier, Peaches. Doesn’t bode well with Mike Dean, does it?! 😖

39. seedeee says:

Laca has a groin strain but is named on the bench…? You know what’s going to happen now don’t you…

Sue that’s a pretty impressive strike rate o. Team selection given how many tinkering have happened this season. 8/11 is pretty good going.

Is it worrying to everyone else that Emery didn’t know what the best side was and Freddie who has been involved the whole season also doesn’t appear to know?

Pick an XI you think is best and give it a run. Too many changes each match for my liking.

41. fred1266 says:

Generally thought I would have like it but the 2 experience I have while coming to Paris isn’t fun

Can’t believe I candidates even go watch the game grr

42. Sue says:

Cheers, GIE 🙂
    Yes it is worrying… but what else is, is all those on 4 yellows!!

43. Sue says:

Bellerin injured in warm up… AMN in…

44. Sue says:

Where exactly are you, Fred?

GIE

You are a thoughtful person, why do you think that with the group of players that are available to an Arsenal manager that either Emery or Freddie should know what his best side is?

This makes no sense to me……..what am I missing?

46. fred1266 says:

Damn bellas can’t catch a break

47. Aaron says:

Mentioned before, many times, that ACL surgery is no joke and takes 2 full years for athletes to regain full strength and that our guys would not be ready in December. Bel and Hold finding out the hard way.
    At least AMN and Tierney have pace in the back, still do not like Sok, Tor, Xhaka and Mesut all in the same line up.
    Peaches maybe Freddie’s voice will resonate on that message.

Evening all. Painfully slow build up and taking too many touches most of the time so far.

49. Aaron says:

Damn, wonder if Tierney has messes up ac/clavicle or separated injury because Kola is not a defender.

50. Oooooh this is not going to plan …… both full backs injured ☹️☹️☹️

51. Aaron says:

Freddie better get on the horn and call up Medley for that left back slot, a proper defender.

52. LBG says:

Why do our players slap each other appreciatively when they have made SHIT passes. Xhaka, Maitland- Niles.

34 minutes gone. Clear the f****** ball on your goal line
    You are f****** useless Xhaka.

They’re so much stronger than us physically … and braver too.

54. fred1266 says:

Isn’t medley a CB

55. fred1266 says:

Yep don’t understand how he come back into the squad

56. Sue says:

Omg… tonight has been terrible.. backwards/sideways passing… injuries.. and now we’re losing!!! I honestly can’t believe how poor we’ve been.
    Freddie will say we were scared (again)

Back back back back back back.

58. Maybe it’s time to start competing against each other in training? It’s like they’re shocked that the opposition are fighting for the ball 🙄

Someone pass the f***ing thing forward!!!!

60. Aaron says:

Fred, thought I saw him play on the left in one of the games previously.

Football definitely easy against mannequins Peaches.

62. RC78 says:

Why we persist with Torreira and Xhaka in the middle beats me…?

All our midfielders receive the ball with their backs to the opposition’s goal … and then pass it straight back to the CBs and wham close us down until one of the FBs has no option but to hoof it upfield. The movement of our midfielders is really poor.

64. LBG says:

Nothing short of a complete clear out is the only way forward. Select players who believe in themselves, who believe in the Club and who want to win. The whole U23 team would put up a more determined effort than this team.

65. To be fair the kids usually don’t mind where they play if they get called up to the first team.

66. LBG says:

And Rasp
    The fat Spanish waiter pointed precisely that out pre-match.

67. Sue says:

Relegation fight… here we come!

68. LBG says:

Manshitty will tear us apart.

69. Sue says:

Should have played the women!
    This really is embarrassing 😡

70. fatgingergooner says:

Probably the worst I’ve seen since becoming an Arsenal fan. We’ve had worse sides, but I can forgive a lack of quality, what is unforgivable is players who have quality that are not willing to do the basics and are not willing to take any sort of responsibility. Nobody wants the ball. They can’t get rid of it fast enough, and it’s always to the safest pass so as not to be the one to blame for giving the ball away. Pathetic.

LB to answer your question from earlier, which I admit raised a smile, and I know where you are coming from. But I guess the hope that both Freddie and Unai seeing them in training every day would have given both a slightly better insight than us on the glimpses we get.

Let’s not even talk best XI let’s just choose a formation. 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 and go through each position and choose your best player in each. Then let them play a few games together to start to get an understanding of each other, and to make it easier for those coming in due to injury etc fit in to a settled side.

As I say understand the question I guess I just hoped they might know more than us?

Sue that may be my favourite comment.

LBG sod it let’s just play the kids at Man City.

73. LBG – don’t you go dissing the Spanish waiter …….

Difficult to know what to say really. They are quicker to the press and 2nd ball than us and we struggle to get any sort of pace and movement going forwards. Normally 1-2 passes is all we can muster before losing possession again and we normally haven’t crossed the half way line by then. We dont seem to have anyone who carry’s the ball either.

I don’t know what to say after that.

Freddie seems to have simply accepted Emery’s theory that playing around your own penalty area is the way forward.

Listen to me Freddie — that’s bollix, and you are removing yourself from the chance of being a full time coach.

Do you think that this team arrived by bus or by sleigh, dressed in Santa outfits, giving out presents on the way, all pulled by Rudolph?

That defence has to have been organised by the BFG.

I have to agree with Redders. Freddie May have changed a few players but the style of football is exactly the same as under Emery … what makes Freddie think it will suddenly become effective. The style (or lack of it) is the problem …. meaningless ponderous possession in our own half until we lose the ball and then panic defensively

79. LBG says:

Why cant Freddie and the BFG not see that we do not have the players to play out from the back. I am coming to the conclusion that there is an American conspiracy to destroy all the way to the foundations our once great Club

80. fatgingergooner says:

They’ve forgotten how to play football. This is awful.

81. fatgingergooner says:

Shame you don’t get 11 subs because I’d change em all if I was Freddie. Truly pathetic

FGG summed up by that pass across goal by Xhaka!?!?!?

83. fatgingergooner says:

And Pepe just giving up.

84. fatgingergooner says:

I’d celebrate but not sure they deserve it!

Great goal though

85. Martinelli in just the right place 👏👏👏👏

86. LBG says:

Sorry Freddie if you cant motivate the players to even try, you do not deserve to oversee any more games.
    Who on the pitch gives the impression they care.
    Torreira and now Martinelli.

87. fatgingergooner says:

I said all we need is a scruffy win and if we somehow got the points here it couldn’t be much scruffier

Good on him. One of the fee players putting in a proper shift.

Was going garrety 1 minute earlier when Xhaka received the ball with 20m of space ahead of him and the nearest of 3 WHU players 2m behind him. All were behind him. Instead of driving forwards into the space he actually passed it backwards so that he put all 3 goal side of us again. Absolutely unbelievable.

89. fatgingergooner says:

Pinch me!

Martinelli proves we need more of our youngsters in the team.

And Pepe needs to play every game. Brilliant,

91. Oh wow …… I like that Pepe 😁😁😁

Our 2 busiest and most committed players get their rewards

93. Aaron says:

Goals and wins are infectious, if it takes a player at a time for 11 games straight than that is what it takes, bench those that do not care!
    Tor and Martin showing they at least they care, great goal by Pepe. He will come good.

94. Sue says:

Pepe from open play!!!

95. fatgingergooner says:

Martinelli proves what desire gets you. He works his tail off going forwards and backwards and all 11 should be like that.

96. Someone must’ve flicked the switch 😁

Take it all back 😂😂

98. seedeee says:

YEESSSSSSSS

That felt good!!!!!!!! And a third oh my god!!!!!!

99. LBG says:

So I have the answer abuse Freddie on the blog!!

” How shit must you be, we are winning away”.

Bloody hell, Martinelli has sparked this by being the one man who didn’t hide and didn’t stop all night, everyone else joining in now.

101. Sue says:

Auba has broken that duck 👍👍👍👊

A bloody large chunk of that transfer fee must have arrived in Lille this week.

Best stop whingeing now for a bit 🤣

104. fred1266 says:

Such a shame I can’t watch us win grrr

105. fatgingergooner says:

Pepe has been awful in general tonight and nothing’s come off for him, yet he’s got a goal and an assist.

The new Walcott!? 😂😳

106. LBG says:

Xhaka is dead…long live…

107. fatgingergooner says:

To be honest, Xhaka’s vision has been hazy since kick off! At least he was trying to pass forward a bit though, even when we were struggling.

Guendouzi does receive the ball on the half turn and drive play forward. Immediately we’re better with him on for Xhaka

109. One of my baby spuds is a Hammer ……. he’s sloped off upstairs now. But I don’t feel sorry for him, he’s off to Germany tomorrow to play in the U19’s v Bayern Munich.

110. fatgingergooner says:

Chalk and cheese. If you ever needed to understand the importance of confidence in sport then just watch this game. The changes in both sides during the game have been astonishing.

111. Does anyone have time to write something for a post or some player ratings for tomorrow?

Great that all three of our strikers scored. Agree with FGG … confidence is the key

113. fatgingergooner says:

City couldn’t come at a worse time….or could it be the best time!?

Win that and we’ll be a different side altogether.

Love the way Freddie interacted with the players and the supporters after the game

115. Sue says:

I don’t know what I’m more surprised at -.scoring 3 goals away from home or no bookings from Mr Dean 😱😱

Well, at least we finally woke up! 3 good goals, my boyfriend assisted… just goes to show we can do it!
    No more of those first half displays though please.. they age me… and at this rate, I’ll be looking RA’s age in no time 🤣🤣

116. Sue says:

I loved Freddie and Pepe’s hug!

117. RC78 says:

Leno – 6
    AMN – 6
    Chambs – 7
    Sok – 6
    Tikola – 6
    Xhaka – 6
    LT – 6
    Ozil – 6
    Pepe – 7
    Auba – 6
    Martinelli – 8

118. LBG says:

Right Freddie, something to build on.
    Dont play Xhaka ever again and sell him at Christmas. Dont play Luiz ever again and sell him at Christmas.
    Stop playing out from the back, and fine any player who passes backwards more than three times in a match. Give Leno a pay rise.
    Select Martinelli, Guendouzi, every game. Play Chambers and as soon as humanly possible, Holding consistently as centre back. Put Tierney ‘s shoulder back in and play him on Sunday. Put a rocket up AM-N’s bottom and tell him for the moment he is a full back and percentage football is what is required from him. And finally, ask TH to speak to Pepe, praise his good moments, and explain his performance so far in his first season is a mirror image of Thierry’s.

119. RC – that’s not enough for a post 🙄 care to elaborate? Pad them out a bit?

120. LBG says:

Must have been watching a different match me! Xhaka 3.

121. fatgingergooner says:

Biggest moment of that game, other than our first goal, was Cresswell going off injured. Pepe came alive once he went off and ultimately won us the game.

I expect Pepe suffered as many ‘hard challenges’ in that game as he did in a whole season in France

At least that game and particularly how we played once the confidence came flowing back will mean the board don’t feel they need to rush into appointing a new manager.

FGG, I thought Pepe was decent tonight and never gave up trying it showing fir the ball. He was one of our 2 busiest players with Martinelli, but Martinelli was my MOTM. He defended, closed down quickly and always looked a threat, and who doesn’t love a player that can run with the ball.

I have tempered my earlier assessment on Douzi. He looked good when he came on, even under pressure. As Rasp said he can receive the ball on the turn and will run forwards with it.

Contrasted to Xhaka who too often passed back when he could go forwards. Sometimes he received a pass that had taken out 3 players and had the space to turn and move forwards but played it straight back bringing their players goal side and into the game again

He just doesnt have the confidence to move with the ball under pressure like we saw with Douzi. If we are not going to try Luiz or Chambers in at DM then it has to be Torreira and then Douzi with him.

125. fred1266 says:

126. fatgingergooner says:

I wouldn’t get too carried away with Geundouzi. The circumstances he was playing under were far easier than what Xhaka had to contend with for the first 70 minutes. Everyone looked like Messi at 3-1 but let’s not forget just how equally dreadful everybody was at 0-0 and 0-1. Agreed that Martinelli was motm but whilst Pepe was willing to run with the ball and try to carry it forward, he also lost it a lot too and was struggling to have an impact with Cresswell on the pitch and was getting frustrated. He certainly produced at the end though.

127. Sue says:

What a player, Fred!!
    Try and enjoy Paris! 👍

128. RC78 says:

Hi peaches – maybe tomorrow around 11am your time

In the meantime I agree that Douzi should start and either next to Torreira or Luiz or Chambers but not with Xhaka

Kola should start for me as well because he s a real warrior and he worked well with Martinelli

He did work well with Martinelli, good spot.

130. RC78 says:

Sorry Peaches… Won’t have time to complete my ratings with a text before this evening 😢

131. Sue says:

132. Don’t worry RC, maybe someone else feels like doing some this morning. Thanks for all your input 😁

We have a New Post ……………