Arsenal’s Very Public Pain

Today’s national newspapers make grim reading for Arsenal supporters:

Daily Telegraph

Arsenal players have lost faith in head coach Unai Emery and do not believe he is the man to salvage their season.

Emery is under increasing pressure following another poor performance and result against relegation-threatened Southampton, and there is a growing feeling among the squad that he should be replaced.

Arsenal players are confused by Emery’s selections, tactics and instructions, and believe the team has no identity under the Spaniard.

The Times

Arsenal would be interested in talking to Mikel Arteta and Massimiliano Allegri as potential replacements for Unai Emery, who looks increasingly likely to leave the club.

Before the abject 2-2 draw at home to Southampton on Saturday, Arsenal had been determined to stick by head coach Emery until the end of the season but their position has shifted amid mounting concern in the boardroom and anger from supporters.

The Guardian

One of several Premier League managers whose days look numbered, Unai Emery is cutting an increasingly isolated figure at the cauldron of seething dissatisfaction that is the Emirates Stadium. Max Allegri and Mikel Arteta are both being touted as potential replacements.

Daily Mirror

Arsenal fans have issued a strongly-worded statement accusing the hierarchy of “rudderless” leadership which has left the club “floating aimlessly.”

The angry backlash comes from the same set of supporters who issued a powerful online #WeCareDoYou campaign in July against owner Stan Kroenke and the club’s board.

The fan statement does not directly call for under-pressure Emery to be sacked but, instead, takes aim at the Kroenke ownership and warns about falling attendances, a lack of direction on and off the pitch and the club losing its identity.

The Independent

The lackluster 1-1 draw against Southampton saw Arsenal’s miserable run of form stretch to six winless games across all competitions for the first time in 21 years.

During the latter stages of the match, with Raul Sanllehi and Edu watching from the directors’ box, sections of the fanbase began chanting ‘we want Emery out’. However, after the game, the Independent revealed that Emery will still be given more time to turn around his sinking ship, despite the players’ reaction to their last-gasp equaliser appearing to show their disconnect towards the manager.

The end for Emery feels inevitable, but after Jose Mourinho joined north London rivals Tottenham, who could the Spaniard on a permanent basis?

Despite the Independent’s report that Emery is to be given more time, these stories are clear evidence of a wave building that is going to break sooner or later. And when it does, Emery will be washed away.

Even if you believe he could turn round our fortunes given enough time, sometimes the external pressure is so great that it cannot be ignored. This is one of those times.

The club are never going to say “we’re looking for a new manager right now”, so when the announcement comes that the current coach is being fired it will be very sudden. Maybe even this week.

Brace for change, would be my advice.

RockyLives

75 Responses to Arsenal’s Very Public Pain

Grim grim reading indeed.

Let’s not get it wrong we have had times where we have not served up cracking football in our long history, and there have been times where we have been trophyless for long periods.

I’ll talk about my Arsenal memories, which is basically GG, Rioch, AW, Emery.

Under GG we won things then became boring still won a couple of things but you knew what we were getting and how we were trying to play.

Rioch….so fleeting but caused unrest with the players.

Wenger…we all know what my thoughts are on the man, but again even during the trophyless years we were entertained and there was always a chance of something and we did win a few Cups along the way just sadly not a European one.

And then Emery, got us to the UEFA cup final last year but failed to deliver when it mattered most, the team over the last couple of months of 2018/19 were slipping away, and unfortunately we have gone into 2019/20 on a similar curve, the gloss of new signings has worn off and now we look at what is happening on the pitch. I don’t think anyone is enjoying it.

And that perhaps is Emery’s issue he came in with bold promises and again whilst the new manager bounce was clearly evident it doesn’t last long without an underpinning of real change. He simply doesn’t seem to be able to get the best out of this squad.

Thanks Rocky. The dreaded message of support from the club is often the precursor to the Spanish elbow … or should I say Spaniards English elbow.

We are all struggling with guilt and introspection over the situation .. are we being disloyal? Are we behaving like we’re entitled when we’re not the big club we’d like to think we are … or has it become abundantly clear now that Unai is not up to the job?

The latter in my opinion … we’re all voting for Emerexit.

3. RC78 says:

We all want Emery to success with the club but it seems highly unlikely and if the rumours of players losing faith in him are true then there is not much choice but to sack him…Who could replace him?

I would put Ancelotti in or Heinckes BUT they would need to work with Ljunberg and I would also ask Lehmann, Campbell, Gilberto, Pires and Anelka (or Wright) to come in as technical advisors during some training sessions…

The squad has some talented players in without a doubt so let us make it tick and let s start winning games!

4. Sue says:

No news of Unai’s departure yet! Still! Sheesh, what on earth is going on??
    I can’t even bring myself to go now.. was offered tickets for Saturday and Thursday, turned them down. I sit at home watching how poor we are, struggling (home and away) to teams in the relegation places… actually, make that the whole table! And I want to cry.. the enjoyment has gone.. the excitement has gone.. I’m so sad…
    I take my hat off to Peaches and co that go and watch and support. I just can’t do it, I think I’d actually sit in the stands and cry (& embarrass my son!)
    What a horrible time for us all, it’s the worst I’ve ever known…. and am beginning to wonder if it’ll ever improve.
    To add insult to injury, I’m still amazed at the spuds getting rid of Poch! Didn’t see that coming… They’ve acted, so should we and the sooner the better!

Cheer up, Sue, it’s often worse than you think. 😜

Umm — not sure that’s necessarily going to help – but it is a truism — I bet there will be news that on top of the footballing schmozzle, Emery ate all the chocolate biscuits too — and that really was the last but one straw — so he will have to go before he starts on the jammy dodgers, and Auba and Co will down studs!! 😂

Thanks for the Post, Rocky. I usually have a sneaky look at all the sports pages when I go to buy my paper, so now you have made me an honest man, so to speak.

If the Sword of Damocles decides to stop hanging about, and decides instead to skewer poor old Embers, the hunt for his replacement will gather pace — and unlike the Spuds, we probably have not done any ‘plan B’ research – which will only confirm my opinion the Arsenal management are a bunch of plonkers, and plonkettes, if we have any females of the species in this male dominated industry.

There is some talk of Artetetetata being approached — and I am not agin that — but I clearly remember the rumour that when the choice was between him and Embers he made the Board’s mind up for them by saying ‘tara from Artetetetaa” because they could not guarantee any transfer dosh for him.

In the event – either the rumour was cobblers – or his English is as bad as Embers’ because we wasted spent a lot of money on Pepe and a couple of others. — either way, it is unlikely he will want the job, and probably looks at Embers and thinks ‘phew, there but for the grace of God go I’.

The Independent article quoted above goes on to list 15 possible candidates to be head coach in the event of Emerexit (c)

Thierry Henry (Montreal Impact)
    Nuno Espirito Santo (Wolves)
    Marcello Gallardo (River Plate)
    Rafa Benitez (Dalian Yifang)
    Diego Simeono (Atletico Madrid)
    Eddie Howe (Bournemouth)
    Ralf Rangnick (Red Bull GmbH)
    Carlo Ancelotti (Napoli)
    Julian Nagelsmann (Leipzig)
    Patrick Vieira (Nice)
    Max Allegri (unattached)
    Brendan Rogers (Leicester)
    Freddie Ljungberg (Arsenal)
    Mikel Arteta (Man City)
    Mauricio Pochettino (unattached)

(c) Rasp

Nice one Fred. Can they show that video to the men’s team please.

Redders

I liked Arteta very much as a player and a human being during his time with us, but I would be hesitant about giving him the top job at The Arse.

In my experience in life and business, not many “Number Twos”* make good Number Ones. There are exceptions but there is something about the driven personality type of a true Number One that makes them want the top job straight away.

A natural ‘Number One’ would probably prefer being manager at a smaller club that taking the job of assistant manager at a big club. Arteta took the latter course.

* no sniggering at the back

10. Sue says:

Well, RA, I have to admit, your comments do bring a smile to my face (I’ll only say it this once 😜)
    I was hoping you’d have got your credit card (!) out by now and paid Emery off. Not sure if you saw my comment the other night, but I said seeing as you’re an accountant (&
    a minted 💲one at that 😉) you could pay 90% of it and we’d have a whip round for the rest.. 😂😂
    Jammy dodgers 😃

11. Sue says:

Awesome, Fred! Always nice to beat LiVARpool!!

I do not wish to appear even more inarticulate than I already do, so I would just like to say to RC, GIE and the one and only Rasper, that they all made very interesting, and knowledgeable comments — thank you.

I have to shuck off my cloak of respectability, and come out into the light of day (or gloomy clouds today) and say that unlike that very decent man, Rasper, that I do not feel any retrospection over my own views about Embers – he is a decent man – and yet, with my perfect retrospective vision (I have moved a little way towards your humanitarian nature with the use of that word Rasper, my boy) it has been obvious to me for some time that if we stretched time for him – and I am struggling not to get onto Einstein territory here – he would still be a well meaning misfit at Arsenal, as almost anyone would, having to follow in the footsteps of AW – especially as the board have emasculated the role of manager, and settled for a mere ‘coach’, complete with layer on layer of more senior managers making decisions above him.

No guilt in saying that, Rasper, but a good deal of sympathy for Embers who seems a decent cove in a corporate cage. 😳

I agree about Arteta Rocky. Moreover I think we need a dynamic and energetic manager who can really motivate the players, not another of the quiet pensive kind.

I realise he’s a huge risk, but I’d consider Freddie to the end of the end of the season and then Nagelsmann … he’s another Klopp-type.
    He’s worked wonders at Leipzig.

I’d take Eddie Howe over Arteta if we want to go established EPL experience.

It’s very telling that almost universally across the Arsenal community the debate has moved from “should Emery go?” to “when will he go and who should replace him?”

15. Sue says:

Everton are considering replacing Silva with Moyes or Howe…….

Wishful thinking maybe Rocky?

I’ve done a 180 on Brendan Rogers after seeing what he’s achieved at Leicester … but why would he want to leave them to manage us in the current situation?

Rasp
    I can’t see Rogers coming to Arsenal at the moment. Unless he thinks we’re in such dire straits that even a modest improvement would count as success.

Your suggestion of Freddie as caretaker for the rest of the season seems good to me, as long as we don’t get suckered into offering him a long contract if he does well. If Freddie took over and there was a bit of a Renaissance to the end of the season, we could then consider offering him a one year extension (but no more).

If he’s doing really well after that, then he has earned a proper 3 year contract.

The graph above shows the shots taken minus the shots conceded. Always in the plus under AW .. a minus under UE and getting worse …

Ouch

I agree re Freddie Rocky. But you did say not many number twos make good number ones 🙂

The truth is we know Freddie was good when coaching the academy, and I’d love him to succeed … but it is a big jump first team coach/manager and only time would tell.

True Rasp – hence my “probationary” approach to how he should be contracted, leveraging the fact that he is currently within the club structure.

Whereas Arteta, coming from a very nice position at Man City, would insist on a longer contract to join us so if he didn’t work out we’d have to fork out millions to get shot of him.

Sue,

I, too, will say this only once — it is really lovely for you to say that writing makes you smile.

You see, I make myself laugh occasionally, which is a lot worse than a smile, but doing so on my lonesome is like the eerie noise one person clapping in an empty gymnasium makes, and is only made worse when I practise kissing the back of my hand before going on a date.

Actually, it’s not so bad — I’ve only been on one date – and when I took her home to see my folks, they were so full of sympathy for her that she escaped by the bathroom window and I never saw her again. 😵

No, on the other matter, I regret to admit I did not see your lamentable attempt to recruit me to help Arsenal out.

90% of £1 is a bit unfair on me – the other 50 fans putting in 10 pence between them have the right idea. 🤪

Rocky/Rasper,

I love the logic you both put into debating whether a #2 can ever be a #1, and arriving at the conclusion that Arteta, as a mere #2 type, could never be a #1.

It was possibly fatally flawed when having agreed on that, you went ahead and suggested appointing our own #2, Freddie, as a future #1 despite him opting to being a #2 at Arsenal, rather than showing his true worth as a personality type who would only consider a post as coach/manager, as a #1 from the get go.

You two are clearly bonkers, and I would immediately suggest that we meet up for a little game of poker, next week, and bring Sue along as the facilitator, so I could contribute a lot more to her ‘Emery Fund’. 🤠

Work calls. Laterz.

Think about this:

The situation we are in can reoccur, in fact, it is more likely than not to reoccur, the situation that I talk about is a situation where a team seems to be under performing and no one seems to know what to do to change it.

Ask yourself this: would you prefer a manager with previous experience in dealing with said conundrum or would you be more comfortable with someone to which such a situation is totally new?

Haha Redders

You have me bang to rights.

In fairness to the Rasper ’twas I who was casting doubt on whether “Number Twos” make good “Number Ones.”

Perhaps we should be looking for an outstanding Number Three?

Or even take a different approach and go for The Prisoner, who rejects the number thing altogether:

LB

The latter.

LB
    To clarify, my (guarded) support for Freddie as a caretaker manager is predicated on the possibility that whomever the club thinks is “the right man” to take over permanently may not be free immediately.

If ‘the right man” (ie someone with the experience you mention) is available now, or will make himself available, then that would be my preferred course of action.

Well I guess virtually all number ones were once number twos. As you know, sometimes number twos cause a blockage whereas you can usually flush out a number one with no problem.

I don’t see anyone coming in as having a worse situation (squad wise) than when Unai joined. I think that’s why Freddie as a caretaker appeals. He’s likely to give a short term boost and raising confidence has to be one of the first objectives. Were he to do that and a new manager arrive in the summer, that would at mean he inherited a team that is no longer in crisis, he’d have some top class players to work with … and with the prospect of one or two more additions in key areas over the summer TW.

Rasp 😀

Let’s hope whoever it is will soon be flushed with success, or at least won’t drive us round the bend.

My son tells me there’s a lot of smoke suggesting an imminent decision on Emery. Not that he has any special inside knowledge, but he’s picked it up from somewhere.

Also the ex BBC journo David Ornstein has said Emery will be in charge for Thursday’s game “as things stand…” which doesn’t exactly sound like a ringing endorsement of the incumbent.

32. Sue says:

RA.. I have to pat you on the back and thank you for that! Had me crying with laughter! The date, the hand, the window, the empty gym, the £1…. what a funny geezer!! 😂👍

33. Sue says:

There’s a hell of a lot of Arteta talk going on atm…. will he succeed Unai?
    Not entirely sure how I feel about that…..

34. RC78 says:

Ancelotti may also become available and 3 big Napoli players are also departing Napoli ASAP, Koulibaly, Allan and Insigne. Get Ancelotti, bring in Koulibaly and Allan and all of a sudden, we re a top team…

Leno – Bellerin, Koulibaly, Luiz, Tierney – Allan, Torreira, Douzi – Pepe, Auba – Laca

35. fred1266 says:

Sue I really don’t want to hear those comments from you, so u before not be making me watch the city blowout by myself

Ancelotti didn’t cover himself in glory at United, I can’t help thinking he is too old school for the EPL. Whoever we go with, we have to get it right. I guess Arteta would be a safe option in many ways.

The EPL is different to managing in other European leagues. There are no easy games, and the tempo is quite different.

I’d be interested to know what criteria they consider when assessing candidates.

37. fred1266 says:

If we get arteta that would be so dumb since we could have gotten him since last year,

38. fred1266 says:

Rocky from the 15 what your top 3

Mine is probably

Arteta
    Nuno
    Eddie

… hindsight and all that Fred.

They’re saying that Raul Senllehi is the one who is urging the board to have patience with UE.

The word ‘kneejerk’ doesn’t sit well with me. We have to make a considered decision. Like that other lot, we should have a successor lined up (even if that means Freddie) before we dispense with UE’s services.

Fred
    My three (in order) from that list of 15 would be:
    Benitez
    Pochettino
    Vieira

But ask me tomorrow and it might be different 😀

Rasp
    I, too, would rather see out the rest of this season with a caretaker (Freddie) if that’s what it takes to get the right man for next season.

Fred
    I have gone for more tried and tested options (my first two, anyway) whereas you are leaning in to younger, more up-and-coming managers, which may be the right way to go.

Benitez certainly brings baggage.

42. fred1266 says:

Rocky maybe we can let the woman team play our games surely they can’t do any worse

Haha – you’re not wrong Fred.

44. fred1266 says:

You all really think I can make a good assistant manager

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys I wouldn’t lacazette you all down

I’d have you ahead of Emery right now Fred.

46. fred1266 says:

Ok didn’t see Benitez but yea wouldn’t mind him, but think guys like nuno and Howe should be given a chance at a big club
    Hopefully it doesn’t wrong

In between finishing my project papers, I have had a think about a replacement manager for Embers, if the moment arises.

Having read the earlier treatise from both Rasper and Rocky, concerning problems with their #2s, and given them respectful consideration, I have, rather hastily it is true, and also mindful of their possible execrations, I have nonetheless consigned their protracted labours to the deep, which must come as a relief to the pair of them.

I breathed a sigh of relief, and was relieved I could still sigh a breath, and can say in all magnanimity to those worthy pair, that my backing will fall on the shoulders of Arteta to be next manager – not just coach – of the Arsenal.

There has been much comment emerging from pundits this afternoon that Art is one of the nicest, most determined, highly intelligent tacticians in football, and even Gladiola, who does not want to lose him, has opined that he (Art) would be a ready made Manager able to step into solving Arsenal’s problems, having absorbed a great deal of the ‘Ways of the Football Gods’ in the last few years as Gladiola’s understudy.

That’s good enough for me.

Anyone disagreeing with my latest missive will have to provide their own shovel, as dealing with Rocky’s and Rasper’s earlier extrusions nearly finished me off. 😘

48. fred1266 says:

What You all think emery is doing wrong, heard some saying he doesn’t know his best eleven

Is it the defense just sh**

Cause it very weird how he just can’t get get the team playing properly

Redders

Your astute thinking has cut through this debate like a dose of salts.

Notwithstanding my issue with Number Twos, the thing which might persuade me support your choice of our next Number One is this: Arteta has now had a decent amount of time learning from one of the most successful mangers in the modern game. If he can bring some of what he’s learnt to us, then who knows…?

Rocky, 🤪

And another matter that deserves consideration is that, much tho’ I love our Freddie #1, and our other Freddie #2, the one hasn’t managed a plum pudding, and the other previously left Arsenal to pursue greater things as one of the coaches of a team in Germany (?) — and was unceremoniously sacked by the said German (?) owners, after about 5 minutes.

Maybe a man who is clearly a #2 needs to stand downwind for a while until he shows he is above all that?

Sue, where are you?

I must confess something, after our discussion earlier about a smile and a laugh.

Things have taken a turn for the worse!

My responses to Rasper and Rocky had me chortling as I typed it, because it was possible that no one else would detect the latent double entendre (double meaning) that lay beneath the perfectly innocent verbosity.

[Rocky quickly saw through my verbal peregrinations – which made me chuckle more! ]

Clearly this is all your fault — I should not be laughing like a lost soul. 👀

Time to go.

Au revoir – Auf Wiedersehen – Cheerio – Goodbye. 🤪

53. fred1266 says:

54. fred1266 says:

Someone tell unai to watch it he might get some ideas

55. John Mathews legend says:

a number one always comes before a number two….
    Unless the situation is drastic, urgent…and far too long awaited!
    Here’s the wonderful Billy Connolly, with part of the explanation
    vimeo.com/172951856 .
    Not sure that the link works. Have sent it to the AA admin, they can post it.
    It’s his ‘colonoscopy’ sketch….we all need a laugh at the mo!

Evening all, things in plus column for Arteta, knows the club, has played under a variety of managers, has a good football knowledge (evidenced by his performances on the pitch), is attacking in nature.

He was turned down by Gazidis as it was a gamble too far for Ivan (and I think he listened to fan concerns too*) after finally removing Wenger. I think it may have been his biggest mistake.

2 years on and Arteta is gaining in respect from Arsenal fans and others and is working under a coaching legend, all good things.

Could he achieve different with the current squad? I bloody hope so.

And that I think is the problem, as we keep saying on paper the squad is fairly decent, yes a bit light in midfield but up top at least two would walk into most sides in the PL and we can’t get the bloody ball to them!

From Rockys list I like Arteta, Nuno, Simeone and Howe although I’m not 100% convinced he is doing a good job keeping the Cherries competitive, I like the way Nuno’s Wolves have played over last couple of years.

One name I’m surprised isn’t on the list is BFG, he is a great thinker can read a game inside out, and I think a pairing of he and Arteta could be very interesting.

But should we be looking at former players is that too easy? How many of the great managers have been top level players?

* I felt towards the end of Gazidis time at the club things were often “leaked to the press” to test the waters, I think the potential Arteta appointment was one of those occasions he was in the frame before Emery but the fan reaction wasn’t that strong for it and Emery came in with his dossier and Ivan was sold. But like our squad at the moment his dossier probably looked a lot better on paper and in video, getting the message across seems to have been a step too far.

57. John Mathews legend says:

The link does work!

58. Sue says:

Hey Fred! Nuno is now the bookies favourite to take over!! 🤪 Can’t keep up with it all!

59. Sue says:

RA.. Chortling 😆😝 love it! Arrivederci 😉

60. John Mathews legend says:

F*cking tea-time blog this….
    Phillipinos the lot of yerz….
    I post a video using today’s thread, as an alligory…er, allygory er…Allegri? let’s settle for metaphore…as to to the quality of our football at the moment…
    Nobody….f*cking nobody…
    Is that a way to run a f*cking ballroom?

Legend
    Shhh! You’ll wake us up.

There we all were trying to have an early evening nap and you throw the Big Yin at us!

I think we’re still in shock 😀

62. John Mathews legend says:

My apologies Rocky.
    They say that Pat Garrett’s got your number
    So sleep with one eye open, when you slumber
    Ev’ry li’l sound just might be thunder
    Thunder, from the barrel of his gun

Well are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

64. John Mathews legend says:

I talk to the trees
    but they don’t listen to me
    (after tea-time)

JML,

They’re coming to take you away!!

JML,

Let’s call it ‘metaphor’ — or not. 😳

Oh, come on, Rocky, let’s be ‘avin yer — where’s the next Post?

Are you malingering? Hmm?

Naughty boy!!

Morning all, discussing Arsenal without focusing on who the next manager should/could be is like talking about the election without mentioning brexit. With that in mind, would anyone care to write a few lines on whop should take over … maybe with a poll?

69. RC78 says:

Hi Rasp – we had a post on who should be AFC next manager recently…I sent a post in about AFC players in the past decade…That might help brighten up the mood…or not…:-P

70. RC78 says:

As for Brexit, I am not a Brit but as a European, we are very sad to see the UK leave the EU. I know this is not a political blog but I am just hoping that voters in the UK will give a chance to the opposition parties after many years of Tories’ leadership. I don’t even dislike the Tories, it is just that the direction of the country since Cameron took over is not really an upward trajectory and with the current PM in place, things have taken a turn for the worse imho…If people want change, then vote for change. If people are happy with the current situation, then keep the Tories in power. On my side, I love the UK and I always admired the country for its inclusiveness and for prioritizing the need to speak in a decent manner at political level and not having hate speech as part of the daily political narrative. Unfortunately, with May and Johnson, the situation changed drastically on that front and it is sad to read and hear…Anyways, sorry for this political interlude but I am very sad and annoyed about your political situation…I feel the same about the US though a bit less because having lived in the US for a few years, I know that there are a lot of people drawn to Trumpisms so it s less disappointing and sad to me…Have a nice day all

We have a New Post ……………

Seems like the Nuno Santo stories are gathering momentum. Could just be media hype to get clicks, but he would probably be on the list of potential viable replacements anyway.

How do we feel about him? Does he have something about him that could translate to a higher level than Wolves, or is he just making a good fist of it at a lower level getting a team to punch above its weight with an effective style on average resources?

Every potential managerial replacement has a question mark in one way or another, so at some point we have to go with someone and accept that there will always be a gamble in some sense.

Those same question marks with Nuno could be aimed at Eddie Howe, and any other manager doing well with a smaller club with less resources. At times many of us have considered those managers and then realised that the longer term quality wasn’t there. I remember Laudrup initially doing well at Swansea and being a possibility, and more recently Marco Silva was highly thought of.

With the decorated overseas candidate, any successful overseas manager with no prior exposure to the EPL has no guarantee that what served them so well in another league will translate here. For that last one read Emery himself!

I wasn’t around on the other posts to discuss this managerial thing. Does anyone actually believe that Emery has “x” games to save his job and that the board are backing him for now? I can’t believe that. Once the opposition fans start singing “your getting sacked in the morning”, and the magical “x” games to save your job do the rounds the end always seems inevitable as it is too far gone to turn around.

Has any manager actually survived once this stage is reached? Has any manager actually saved their job with the “x” games allowed to them. I can think of Ferguson early on at Utd but that was a different era. There must be some examples I can’t currently think of, but my recollections are that every manager is pretty much done once the “x” games to save their job has arrived, the death knell has been chimed. Surviving at this point is either extremely rare or non-existent so seems a pointless drawing out of the inevitable. Can anyone give an example of someone surviving at this point?

In many ways allowing another 3 games, if the end is inevitable and the players aren’t responding to the current guy, is just denying any new incumbent those extra games this season to possibly claw our way back towards the top 4. It is arguably just squandering points unnecessarily.

When the manager goes and the players feel more refreshed and released you often get a bounce under the new guy, even with a temporary caretaker appointment. After that welcome bounce it then becomes about the manager having the right ideas and ability to shape the team into something more prolific in the longer term. Some fail after the initial bounce but the best prove they are among the best and develop and progress the team.

My gut feeling is that Emery must surely be done and dusted but that it is not necessarily easy to secure the right man at this precise moment. Arguably potential candidates like Arteta, Nuno, Eddie Howe would be interested but don’t want to let their current clubs down by suddenly jumping ship now. The same goes for the Ajax chap and Leipzig chap.

Arteta is likely the most available with less hassle and fallout from those 3. Guardiola has said he has all the tools and ability to make a great manager (and Arsene before him), and doesn’t want to lose him but will not stand in his way. Do the personal references trump the C.V gaps?

Poccetino maybe doesn’t want to cause the uproar that coming to us would and knows other, possibly better and more palatable, offers will be coming his way in the next 6 months. Maybe he had a clause written in to his severance package that he would not come to us.

Ancelotti I thought I read would cost a bit to buy out of his contract at Napoli, so that could be a spanner in the works. Allegri is really the only fully available person on the list that can just walk in with no issues. However, despite what he achieved in Italy, will that translate to the EPL. Will he want a budget and players that make the board squirm, and with no guarantee of success it could be an expensive mistake.

My gut feeling is that the 2 most likely candidates are Allegri and Arteta. One has an excellent C.V as 1st team manager but only overseas but no exposure to the nuances and rigours of the EPL. The other has no 1st team managerial C.V but knows the EPL (and also Arsenal) inside out and has spent the last 2 1/2 years (alongside arguably the modern generations best manager) watching how to develop a top end EPL team.

My feeling is still towards Arteta and accepting the gamble of him not having been a number 1. He possibly feels like the closest thing to a younger more modern version of Arsene. Someone who will grow the club again into something greater (as well as trying to deliver in the moment), as oppose to a 2-3 year impact manager before us having to look again. If it works then Arteta feels like he has something longer term about him than many other candidates.

There are no guarantees, but if it doesn’t work then we can look again. I feel there is very little risk with Arteta as well. I can’t see a situation where we have spent 2 years transfer budget only to find it hasn’t worked out after all, and I can’t see an expensive separation if things don’t quite work out. I can only see him progress the club and the youngsters in the right direction anyway so feel we will still move forwards rather than backwards, even if silverware ultimately eludes him.

Poccetino was that progressive developer who didn’t quite mange to get the ultimate prize. Maybe Mikel is similar, but he may also turn out to be a Poccetino with silverware at the end, or dare I say it, even our new shiny younger modern Arsene.