This Is Unacceptable From An Arsenal Supporter

You call yourself an Arsenal supporter.

You love the club, you’re proud of our history and achievements. You’re desperate for the current team to achieve its potential.

But is there anything you could say or do as a Gooner that would be beyond the pale? Anything that would just be plain wrong coming from an Arsenal fan?

I have to thank GoonerB for the inspiration for this Post. His excellent idea of asking whether it was time for Arsenal supporters to rethink their antagonistic attitude towards Ashley Cole (a former Invincible, after all) prompted a lively discussion.

Some readers were minded to forgive and forget; others would not be budged from the view that Cashley is a wrong ‘un and would never be welcome back at The Arsenal (among the many eloquently argued points I couldn’t help but smile at Bernard’s short but emphatic: “Ten men went to bed, went to bed with Cashley, ten men and his mobile phone, went to bed with Cashley. I rest my case.”).

The discussion set me to thinking about whether there are certain opinions that no self-respecting Arsenal fan should hold or actions they should do.

I reckon 10 years ago, when we were still in the doldrums of the new stadium austerity and Cashley was winning trophies for fun at Chelsea, it would have been almost unsayable for an Arsenal fan to express admiration for our former Number 3.

With the passage of time it seems views have mellowed somewhat. But what are the other taboos for a Gooner?

I’d love your ideas in the comments, but here’s a list of potential no-nos for starters: would any of them be a step too far?

Is it acceptable for an Arsenal fan to say any of the following?:

“You know, I really quite like watching this Spurs team.”

“Manchester United have been the best team of the Premier League era.”

“I really miss the mint-coloured away kit.”

“People are being very harsh about Harry Kane. I don’t think it was a dive.”

“In fairness, Mike Dean is a really good ref.”

“Roy Keane was better than Patrick Vieira.”

“We should get rid of Emery and appoint Mourinho – he’s a proven winner.”

Is it acceptable for an Arsenal fan to do any of the following?:

Boo one of our own players during a game.

Sit down during “stand up if you hate Totnum.”

Wear an Arsenal shirt with “van Persie” on the back.

Feel you’d rather England win the World Cup than Arsenal win the league.

RockyLives

37 Responses to This Is Unacceptable From An Arsenal Supporter

1. I’ve been to WHL more times than I should admit to (and not always as an Arsenal supporter) on an Arsenal blog, but in my defence I started going to football matches long before the TV & banter eras. My best mates at school supported Spurs & Finchley FC and we all used to go to watch our teacher George Robb play for both clubs and after we had left & started work we’d go all round London to watch a decent game because there was no televised football at all other than the annual FA Cup Final and you had to get out there and go to a match.
    It was a great time and I saw some legends play on their home grounds and never ever suffered the type of abuse that fans have to put up with these days. I don’t regret one minute and have no shame at supporting Spurs or Finchley with my mates as I never lost my love of Arsenal.

2. Rocky, the one you’ve missed is: ‘supporting any UK team in European competition’. I’ve done this since televised matches started and still do.
    More shame.😱

Morning SR

Thanks for the comments.

I started following the Arse in 1970, but didn’t get to an actual game for years. But I new lots of men of my Dad’s generation who would go to Arsenal one Saturday and Tottenham the next, supporting both (although always having a preference when they played each other: typically they would think of themselves as an Arsenal supporter who went to watch Spurs when the Gunners were away or vice versa).

Your point about wanting other UK teams to win in Europe is well taken. I have changed over the years in regard to this question, perhaps influenced by the ever increasing partisanship in footy.

In the ’70s I remember being thrilled by big European final nights and really rooting for the likes of Villa, Forest and Liverpool.

Later, when our best Arsenal teams under AW were competing with Fergie’s best at ManU I started to develop a real loathing for the Mancs and would always want them to lose against any foreign opposition.

Then Chelsea emerged and naturally they seemed so obnoxious that I wanted them to lose and on it went…

4. fred1266 says:

One to to add rocky routing for spurs, Chelsea, United etc players cause they in your fantasy team grrr

5. LBG says:

Never “hated” Totnum, never “stood up”. Mild ruck at one of Cup Finals when two youngsters stood up in front of Dad and JC. ” You are not real supporters “. Go forth and multiply, twat.
    On the other hand, detest Manure and Chelski.
    Would hope however I could see and openly appreciate good quality attacking football, even against us! (Unless it was Manure or Chelski)

Thank you, Rocky, for your interesting Post.

It made me think of those things that are currently socially acceptable/unacceptable before answering what I would personally view as acceptable/unacceptable in an Arsenal context.

I do not have any hard and fast rules that dictate how I should think or behave, other than not wanting to cause offence.

It is such a difficult area to discuss, that I originally wrote screeds to explain what this meant from my perspective — and then decided to scrub/delete it because I belatedly realised you meant this to be a light-hearted essay, and not a dissertation.

So I am restricting myself to say that I can have more than one seemingly contradictory view, such as “Kane is a blatant cheating diver” — but he is also a top class goalscorer” or, “Manure are fossil fuel funded buyers of success, and I could not stand Ferguson during their heyday – but he was a great manager, perhaps the best, and certainly the most successful of the EPL era, so far”.

I am such a boring fart that I shall have to leave the discourse to far more eloquent debaters. 😳

Careful Redders or you’ll fall off that fence 😀

(Although it’s impossible to really disagree with your take on Kane and Fergie 😳 )

9. RC78 says:

Too many questions to answer 😔 but a great post. I never want AFC to lose and if its OK, I d rather not have Mourinho at AFC now but maybe later once we have established a strong team.
    I enjoy watching the Spurs but I won’t go as far as supporting them except maybe in the Champions League against teams that annoy me like Barcelona or AC Milan.

10. Jimmy B says:

Started going over there in the late 60s. Spurs were far more glamourous and successful back then. I never really hated them but for some reason, really took against Chelsea. Cole did what was right for him, truth be told, if Arsenal hadn’t been so tight we’d have kept him and, like it or not, he was an exceptional player. I don’t agree with booing former players as, apart from anything else, it only makes them play better. Plus, it’s sort of un-Arsenal like. Or, it was.

11. Lloyd Morgan says:

I really started supporting the arsenal in 60’s early 70’s. As a child of immigrants from the West Indies the emergence of black players definitely had influence on me. West Ham was a team I liked to watch as they had several pack players. Clyde Best, Ade Coker, Bobby Barnes..

My dad was big arsenal fan, he worked as a carpenter and worked at Highbury for bit refurbishing the stands.

I remember vividly He took me and my brother to an evening game, from that moment we were hooked. Only one team for me.. the Arsenal !!!

During school summer hols dad would take us to work with him, jobs mostly around Islington. One job was less than 10 minutes away from the stadium. We used to sneak into the ground and watch the groundsmen preparing the pitch for the new season. Beside that we’d sneak in and admire the marble halls entrance halls. If that wasn’t a the ultimate baptism of allegiance then nothing was.

I lived in Edmonton N.9. Anyone familiar with north London will know it roughly a mile and half from the spurs stadium. Everyone supported spurs. But not me, not a chance in hell..
    I was mad sportsman I played for my school football Eldon Road school. As irony would have it, our football kit was Red & white just like Arsenal’s. I love my PE teacher for that.

As for Ashley, it did hurt when he left and joined Chelsea. But with all things there’s two sides to every story. Look at the offer David Dean put to him. I think he was deeply hurt by that which influenced his decision.

Though I mIght have felt differently for sure, if he joined spurs.

He always speaks fondly of Arsenal and the great players he played with.. with the passing of time, I can just about forgive for leaving us.. After all, he’s an invincible!!!

Lloyd
    Great stories.
    Well done for keeping the Arsenal flame flying in Edmonton back in the day.

Morning Rocky,

Thought I would answer your questions! 😁

Is it acceptable for an Arsenal fan to say any of the following?

“You know, I really quite like watching this Spurs team.” YES

“Manchester United have been the best team of the Premier League era.” YES

“I really miss the mint-coloured away kit.” YES

“People are being very harsh about Harry Kane. I don’t think it was a dive.” NO

“I hope we lose because…” (insert cockamamie reason here, eg:“…it will help us get rid of the manager”). NO! NO! NO!

“In fairness, Mike Dean is a really good ref.” NO

“Roy Keane was better than Patrick Vieira.” NO WAY!

“We should get rid of Emery and appoint Mourinho – he’s a proven winner.” YES

Is it acceptable for an Arsenal fan to do any of the following?:

Go to Totteringham home games and sort-of support the Totts when Arsenal are playing away. YES

Boo one of our own players during a game. NO! NO! NEVER!

Leave more than five minutes before the end of a game (except in the case of an emergency). YES

Miss an Arsenal cup final because you’ve been invited to a wedding (including your own). YES

Sit down during “stand up if you hate Totnum.” YES

Withdraw your support because you don’t like the manager/team selections/results. IMPOSSIBLE

Wear an Arsenal shirt with “van Persie” on the back. WHO CARES?

Feel you’d rather England win the World Cup than Arsenal win the league. NO! A THOUSAND TIMES NO!

My ‘Yes or No’ answers are related to questions someone else might ask me, and do not give my reasons.

14. fred1266 says:

Sead against Henrik who you backing Sue 🙂

Thanks for the detailed answers Redders.

On a philosophical level my answer to all my own questions would be YES, because who am I to dictate how an Arsenal supporter should conduct themselves.

But the ones that would be NOs for me personally would be:

Is it acceptable for an Arsenal fan to say any of the following?:

“Roy Keane was better than Patrick Vieira.”

“We should get rid of Emery and appoint Mourinho – he’s a proven winner.”

Is it acceptable for an Arsenal fan to do any of the following?:

Boo one of our own players during a game.

Feel you’d rather England win the World Cup than Arsenal win the league.

16. Sue says:

The Bosnian hunk, all day long, Fred 😝

17. Sue says:

Bloody hell, Fred.. it’s 1-1 & Mkhi scored 😱

18. fred1266 says:

Commentator saying mkhitarian has so much composure on the ball

Clearly never seen him play before today

19. Sue says:

😂😂 either that or he paid him to say it!!
    I’m watching Arsenal women – 1-0 up against West Ham… great goal!

20. fred1266 says:

Yea saw they ladies winning COYG

U ever went to a ladies game Sue

21. RC78 says:

If France qualified for the Euro, we ll be hard to beat again on paper l. So much talent in the pipeline. Only at RB and LB that we are struggling.

Lloris – Pavard, Varane, Lenglet, Hernandez – Pogba, Kante – Mbappe, Griezzman, Coman – Giroud

Areola – Dubois, Laporte, Umtiti, Mendy – Ndombele, Tolisso, Matuidi – Lemar – Ikone, Ben Yeder

Then there is still Mandanda, Costil, Kimpembe, Mendy, Sissoko, Toussart, Nzonzi, Guendouzi, Thauvin, Fekir, Lacazette, Haller, Dembele and maybe Rabiot and Benzema.

22. fred1266 says:

Struggling at LB and RB hmm strongly disagree

LB – 2 mendy, Digne and Hernandez

RB – might not have the depth but Pavard is solid

23. fred1266 says:

I think the CB will be laporte and Varane

Also hoping Dembele can make LW his own by time euros

As much as I love giroud, hope lacazette bring in

24. fred1266 says:

2 for mkhitarian steups

25. fred1266 says:

Rc78 no way benzema ever playing for France again under deschamp

26. fred1266 says:

Mkhitarian vs kolasinac damn where is this form for club

27. fred1266 says:

Sue what I really seeing here

28. fred1266 says:

Mkhitarian had a hand in all four goals smh

29. Sue says:

No, Fred, never been to a ladies game.
    Well i bloody jinxed it, didn’t i?! Now Mkhi has gone on to score twice!!! Sheesh!!!
    Arsenal women have just conceded & my fav (hunky) dart player is losing 🤪

30. fred1266 says:

We just wanted one from you last week Sunday steups

31. fred1266 says:

Who hear at AA has been to a ladies game

32. fred1266 says:

33. fred1266 says:

I hope send telling him he should have played like this last Sunday

34. Sue says:

Very nice picture, Fred 😋

35. harshil kachhawa says:

Is it acceptable for an Arsenal fan to say any of the following?:

“You know, I really quite like watching this Spurs team.” NOT AT ALL IS THIS ACCEPTABLE

“Manchester United have been the best team of the Premier League era.” MORE OF A FACT THAN AN OPINION SO I THINK THIS IS ACCEPTABLE

“I really miss the mint-coloured away kit.” NO BEARING ON FOOTBALL TBH BUT STILL NOT ACCEPTABLE

“People are being very harsh about Harry Kane. I don’t think it was a dive.” NOT ACCEPTABLE

“I hope we lose because…” (insert cockamamie reason here, eg:“…it will help us get rid of the manager”). F**K**G GET OUT OF MY CLUB IF YOU SAY THIS

“In fairness, Mike Dean is a really good ref.” NOT ACCEPTABLE

“Roy Keane was better than Patrick Vieira.” NOT ACCEPTABLE

“We should get rid of Emery and appoint Mourinho – he’s a proven winner.” NOT ACCEPTABLE AT ALL

Is it acceptable for an Arsenal fan to do any of the following?:

Go to Totteringham home games and sort-of support the Totts when Arsenal are playing away. GET OUT OF MY CLUB

Boo one of our own players during a game. NOT ACCEPTABLE BUT IT HAS KIND OF BECOME A HABIT

Leave more than five minutes before the end of a game (except in the case of an emergency). NOT ACCEPTABLE

Miss an Arsenal cup final because you’ve been invited to a wedding (including your own). ACCEPTABLE

Sit down during “stand up if you hate Totnum.” NOT ACCEPTABLE

Withdraw your support because you don’t like the manager/team selections/results. NOT ACCEPTABLE IF THE MANAGER IS ANYONE OTHER THAN MOURINHO

Wear an Arsenal shirt with “van Persie” on the back. I WILL NEVER

Feel you’d rather England win the World Cup than Arsenal win the league. NOT ENGLISH SO CAN’T COMMENT

There’s a New Post ……………

37. fred1266 says:

I quit enjoy international, for me you see the most exciting games especially for the teams you least expect

Allah Armenia vs Bosnia yesterday

Hearing xhaka and torreira injured damn

Also heard people wear pissed guendouzi didn’t make his debut, really people jeez