What does the rest of March hold in store for Arsenal?

The simple answer is, not a great deal considering the stage of the season. Having successfully dealt with our away game to the spuds and been a touch unlucky not to win, we seem to be really finding our stride.

Associated Press

Time to build some momentum for the final push. Oh look, there’s a chuffin international break in the last two weeks of March. Dennis save us from this madness.

Our fixtures in March continue this Thursday with the first leg of our Round of 16 Europa League tie in France, kick off 17.55pm. Rennes will have had just over a week’s rest before the tie thanks to some club-friendly scheduling by the Ligue Un authorities. Hopefully it will have had a contrary effect and left them slightly short of match sharpness, unlike our brave lads.

Lucas Torreira will be itching to play in both the away and home ties since his red against the spuds will see him sidelined in the League well into April.

Roazhon Park

Next Sunday we face Solskjaer’s mob at home in the last game of the weekend, kick off 16.30pm. The match will almost assume the status of 6 pointer. It’s essential we don’t lose, but hopefully home advantage will see us grab all six points. No silly goals conceded on the counter this season, lads, please.

Thursday week we welcome Stade Rennais FC back to The Home of Football. I’d imagine the tie will still be finely balanced with again (hopefully), home advantage allowing us to overcome them and progress to the quarters.

The following weekend to the Rennes home fixture, we were down to face Wolves at Molyneux but their participation in the FA Cup has led to this game being postponed and it is yet to be re-scheduled.

Therefore, because of the international break (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) and clashing cup comps, we only have the 3 games to play in the whole of the rest of March. So much for building momentum!

In the next 11 days we’ll know if our Europa journey will be continuing and also the task left in the final 8 Prem games to reach a CL spot.

Then in the following 17 days we’ll have an Arsenal-less break. Baffling.

chas

58 Responses to What does the rest of March hold in store for Arsenal?

1. LBG says:

A win against Manure. Progression through in the Europa with no further injuries. A chance perhaps for Mav to get some minutes and for the whole squad to recharge…….Cheltenham and 20:20 cricket.

Don’t like horse racing or cricket but top marks for positivity. 🙂

Some great photos of Papa from Saturday.

The last one even seems to have some smiling spuds in the background. Probably smiling through relief that Rose hadn’t been sent off, mind!

The middle photo is ironic in that Terrier is there, arms wide, as if to say ‘studs into the keeper’s chest,surely that’s a red card’

This morning’s ‘Spot Cilla’

“Get yer arf an arf scarf ‘ere”

On sale at Wembley.
    I wonder if they had much stock left at the end of the day?

7. LBG says:

Opta identify Aubang as having missed the most “big chances” so far this season at 19. Second on list is Salah at 13. ( ” big chances” are defined as either one on one chances or close in that the player should reasonably be expected to score). If only…..But what does it say about his ability to get into goal scoring positions.
    Kos and Sokratis playing together looks the business. Keep them fit for the rest of the season, please Dick. And Holding and Mav in the background as a youthful replacement pair. Is the future bright?
    Topics for discussion.

8. LBG says:

Chas
    Have the “spot the Cilla” creators said that it is her they put into each shot?

What I loved about KosSok against Spuds was how as one picture above demonstrates they mainly let Kane just back in to thin air. On every single high ball Kane looked for defender turned a shoulder into them when ball was in flight but both did well to jump with no arms out wide so rarely when Kane took his inevitable trip to the turf was it a question of a pull or a push.

As others have said the constant Spud diving is not picked on by the media because it’s carried out as much by their English players as foreigners (more when Alli, Rose and Kane all feature).

There is only one player I’d take off them and that is Erikksen. He is good in open play but his set piece delivery is exceptional and since Santo we have had no one that can deliver a similar ball consistently.

LBG
    Yes, it has been confirmed as Cilla.
    Obviously the montages aren’t put up as spot the Cilla competitions – that’s my stupid addition.

11. RC78 says:

GiE…Tottenham has very good players…I d take Trippier, Verthongen, Allie, Eriksen, Son, Kane and maybe even Lloris and Lamela.

In any case…March will be a season marker for us:
    – Can we beat Rennes in the EL? Yes, we can as Obama said BUT they are a good team and should not be underestimated. They have pace, skills and strength so I am hoping Emery takes them seriously and finishes them off in Rennes in the first game so we can play a relax game back home.

– This week-end – can we mount a serious challenge for Top 4? This starts with a victory by hook or by crook against those Man Utd bastards. I love some of their players but for me, I became an Arsenal fan in te 90s and the rivalry was with Man Utd and they re hence the team that I despise the most despite recognizing their quality…Can you believe they are ahead of us? We can’t let that happen…So I hope we put a marker in the EPL with a strong showing against Utd and a thumping victory…I think Emery will put Torreira on Pogba and will play 5 at the back against Utd with:

Leno – Mustafi, Sok, Kos, Monreal, Kola – Ramsey, LT, Xhaka – Laca, Mikhy

-> Mustafi and Kola to block the wings
    -> Sok, Kos and Monreal to keep a strong back line to fend off Lukaku and/or Rashford
    -> LT to man-mark Pogba and Xhaka to take care of Herrera or Perreira
    -> Ramsey and Mikhy to play in between the lines
    -> Laca to be a threat and a nuisance to their defense

We are going to need our best players to perform when called upon. This is a chance for players to take the team forward…

After the Man Utd game, we play some tricky games (Wolves, Watford, Everton, Leicester, Crystal Palace…) but we should be able to get positive results from all of the games so I do not expect any loss…now will we be able to turn up to get wins from the remaining games? Get 20 points or more and Top 4 is not far if we beat Utd this week-end…and then we can look at preparing next season with whole different outlook – if you qualify for CL or EL, it makes a budgetary and a status difference…which would mean a different type of transfer window…

With Champions League:
    Lafont, Piszcke, Akanji, Gaya, Gueye, Doucoure, Douglas Costa, Mitrovic

With Europa League:
    Perrin, Hakimi, Upamecano, Gaya, Rice, Herrera, Zaha, Haller

have a nice day all

Morning Chas,

Cilla is clearly sitting in a shambles on the extreme right of the disastrous, cliff edge photo. Where do I collect my prize? 😁

I thought I would weave some off the most overused ‘Brexit’ words into the above paragraph

13. fred1266 says:

Holding also looked sharp yesterday

14. fred1266 says:

RC78 u do know torreira is suspended right smh

15. fred1266 says:

la font is a gold keeper right?

If yes I think martins should be given a chance

Fred 11:55
    Did he have a nice suit on?
    Where was this?
    Is he on holiday in Trinidad?

17. LBG says:

Fred
    HOLDING!!!!

LBG

He was replying to your 7:17. 🙂

Everybody

Fred’s ‘Lol’ at 11:53 was at the Mustafi crack about being involved in possibly as many Prem goals as Deeney (7:07).

Lets hope we MARCH on Chas.

The uneven scheduling is quite ridiculous. It’s almost as uneven as our team – our defense holds it’s own for once (if we can forget Mistakeafi) and our attack goes to sleep…………….

As if you wern’t busy enough on AA you are now Fred’s personal interpreter.

Chas,

As Fred’s personal carer/interpreter can you explain an earlier comment he made to me, please.
    Basically when I said Auba had not scored AWAY against any top 8 club this season, he responded,

“Well if we don’t beat the top 6 away then it would be very hard for him to score any goals won’t you say”

Umm — do you think he meant — Auba has not scored any away goals against the top 8 clubs, which makes it hard for us to win ??

And while you are at it, who is this bloke La Font — and where does he keep all this gold?
    Is it the case that Fred should be formally addressed as Mr Fred Font? 😀

LBG,

What are you HOLDING?

22. fred1266 says:

I meant chambers not holding

To be clear Fred,

Are you saying there is a difference between he liked the ladies chambers — or — he liked the ladies holding ??

We have to know! 😳

24. fred1266 says:

G5 wordpress browser doesn’t work for me so I use the app not my fault it crap

25. fred1266 says:

RA am saying our record is abysmal against the top side so if the team can’t step up it makes it even difficult to aubameung to score IMO

26. fred1266 says:

None of the above

27. LBG says:

RA 3.49pm
    Don’t you start! It’s bad enough trying to understand Fred’s comments!
    “The bowler’s Holding, the batsman’s Willey”.

LBG,

Do you remember when Botham tried to stop the shot — he hopped over the bails but they caught his inner thigh — but he couldn’t quite get his legover.

Shame.

Fred I was only joking with you my friend, I think you are doing a fine job writing in a second language.

Who’s on First? by Abbott and Costello is one of the best comedy sketch’s ever. If I had the ability I would post the You Tube version – but sadly I cannot.

One of the most famous baseball comedy acts to ever take place was the humorous exchange between Bud Abbott and Lou Costello. The words alone cannot do it justice, but it is still quite funny to read. The skit was originally done on the radio live (each & every time) until the legendary duo later included it on The Naughty Nineties compilation.

I agree. None of the above.

32. LBG says:

RA
    Big cricket fan – have collected most books written by Brian Johnson, John Arlott.
    Mourn the demise of Test Match Special on radio. Many many recordings of all the best stories/ bloopers available on YouTube. Aggers and Bumble especially recommended to those who have heard before. Call up Bumble’s description of Jeff Thompson, of Australia, breaking his pink plastic box with a delivery to the unmentionables area. Classic!

33. LBG says:

A brlliant Abbott and Costello sketch…….and almost as good as a pair, as the great Laurel and Hardy.

LBG. That story by Bumble had me in fits. The man is a natural comedian.

Like you I love cricket .Grew up with AFC in winter and Middlesex at Lords in summer. Used to walk to both grounds. Those were the days of the spin twins Edmonds/Embers and then Fat Gatts and Tuffers.

Really looking forward to the WC but will miss the last 2 weeks ;-(

Haha, I enjoyed that.

37. fred1266 says:

Fred
    That’s been done to death on twitter.
    Kane was challenging for the ball, that’s why Mustafi shoved him i. e. he’s offside before the foul.

The paragraph after the ringed section explains it perfectly.
    Sam Wallace must have stopped reading too soon!

The only reason it wasn’t given was because the linesman was in such a terrible position he couldnt see who was offside and who wasn’t.

Arsenal training behind the Clock End in 1932 with the West Stand being built in the background.

Somewhat wet and windy over here and so is the weather.

Guten Tag, bienvenue, morning each,

Where’s my morning coffee – where’s my new post – c’mon, Chas, where is you?

RA. My bad. I am in the chair this morning and will get writing after my second coffee and danich

There is a New Post