My macro view of the state of things:
- We have the 6th best squad in England
- We have the joint 3rd best 1st X1 (= with Utd, Totnum and Chelsea)
- We lost 1-3 at home and that hurts
- Our season’s priority (including another summer’s transfer window) is to rebuild, find a new identity and get back to being a top four side
How’s it going?
- In his first window, Emery bought two defenders, two defensive midfielders and a goalie
- Our defence is as bad as ever BUT….when was the last time Monreal, Kos, Sok and Bell had a run of games? Exactly
- Holding was looking good
- Emery certainly got things right against Totnum and The Chavs in the league
- It is not a good way to start the weekend by losing 1-3 at home in The Cup, and I don’t care who that is against
- We started the night with a back four of M-N, Kos, Sok and Kol. That lasted 29 minutes.
- The opposition then scored in the 31st and 33rd, thus allowing them to sit back and counter against a defence that very soon went and lost its other CB.
Could it have been different?
- Mmmm, maybe, but realistically we’re looking at the first half hour and our inability to score first
- I think we set up without enough in the middle ie against Chelsea we had Granit, Terry and Ouzi, with just Ramsey supplying a front two of Auba and Laca
- Auba is not a bloody winger, he is an elite goal hanger 🙄
The Drama Queens
- Post match I had a very rare sniff around other blogs. Dear God, I promise that will be the last time
- Things were very bright post Spuds and Chavs, so surely a reasonable level of reaction to last night shouldn’t be too much to ask
- Our attacking midfielders are Mesut, Ramsey, Iwobi, Danny and Mhki
- Only one of those has top two teams level quality to set up Auba and Laca
- Emery doesn’t like that player. At all
- I do get concerns over his work rate, and we also know Ramsey is off. While I’m just about ok with Mesut being off loaded as well given the manager’s view, this presents a HUGE challenge. He needs to find two Terrier level age/price/quality players to fill the Ramsey/Mesut hole and that is a very, very big hole
- We’re now left with just the League and Europa, which given my previously stated season’s objectives is not bad as we’re free from any distractions. Chelsea are the bookies Europa favourites and we can beat them.
Ok, I’m bored of this now. We have free weekends. Enjoy.