Talking ’bout an Emery Revolution.

Is there one?

Over the past couple of posts we have taken stock of the season so far, I am sorry but today you will get much of the same!

When comparing games against the same opposition at this point in the season we have less points than 2017 ( my research – not fact – although it may be  😀 ).

So, the points haul hasn’t improved significantly.  Have the performances?

I wrote during the first half of the Wolves game that our play was” measured, ” by that I meant slow. Very slow.  It was not the first as we continually give the opposition  45 minutes start before performing at AFC levels. So far, we have been fortunate that the opposition have not taken the plethora of chances but it cannot continue into December when we play so many good teams.

Is this a tactic? Are we playing Rope-a-Dope in the hope that the opposition are exhausted in the final 20 minutes? If so, he is not the first.

I recently read the Sir Alex Ferguson autobiography (I am a closet masochist), it was a tactic of his to press in the final 15 minutes and according to him, the pointing at the watch was to remind his players that they had a huge chance of scoring in the final 5 minutes. It worked.

Is the import of young talent in Curly and Terrier new to AFC? Of course not. Cesc played for us at 17, so did Jack.

A post during the Interlull will concentrate upon the front 4, so I will not dwell here but we have problems which need solving. Our best players are not given the best platform to display their undoubted talents.

And the defence!. Sevilla were a team who were so difficult to break down and this was the foundation for their success, can we say the same of this Emery team? Can we  ****.  OK, we have had injuries and have yet to find an established first choice back 4.  But do we know who they are? I doubt even you, in your wisdom, can name our best CB partnership! Bellerin is automatic and we have backup for him in the Swiss fella. Monreal on the right but given his performances so far, can you really say his backup Kolasinac inspires confidence?

Midfield? Who knows – this another area which requires an entire post. But once again we have no clear first choice.

That said, it is a healthy situation when we have so many choices insomuch as those choices are good quality, but are they?

What is a revolution is the attitude in the stands but one must question why, when an AW went behind, the fans did not support the team as they have recently.

I should point out that I am a Wengerite and want Emery to continue his wonderful work. There was need for change and UE’s start is promising but no more than that.

written by Big Raddy

18 Responses to Talking ’bout an Emery Revolution.

Nice one, Radford!

Funny how we all came up with similar things. Must be that time of the year for early season mid term reports. 🙂

I’m still not convinced by the revolution in the stands to tell the truth. I wonder how the AFTV knobheads will react if we have a couple of bad results.

One of the things I’m looking forward to is the re-emergence of Kos as a force in our defence. Wouldn’t it be amazing if his Achilles problems were finally over and he could show us what a fine defender he is once again. Thinking about the Emery revolution, what’s Lauren’s passing like – I can’t remember!

In an interview the other day, Reiss Nelson said that he was looking forward to playing a few more weeks or the rest of the season in Germany, perhaps hinting that the loan might finish at Christmas. Surely it would make sense to stay at Hoffenheim for the whole stretch? After all, he’s still not starting matches even though he is popping up as a super sub with loads of goals.

I expected A.M-N to be back up to speed quicker than he has been. As you hint at, there’s still a question of lack of balance both in playing towards the front 4 and within amongst them. Where does AM-N fit? LBG suggested in a middle triangle with Curly and Terrier – I’m not so sure.

Thanks for the post.

Goodness gracious … what is up with you all … is it S.A.D. 🙂

Why is everyone who was reluctant to see the glaring flaws in AW’s management over the last few years trying so hard to find fault with UE?

I know I’m not speaking for the majority on here … but I do think I’m reflecting the view of the majority of supporters in saying that we can see signs of progress. Only a fool would expect everything to turn around as soon as a new manager takes over, and yes, there have been times recently when it was apparent that some of the old traits still linger on, but really …. really … what is the alternative? reinstate AW? .. sack UE and bring Allardyce … or Thierry Henry?

Chill out guys. We’re heading in the right direction. It will take as long as it takes. In UE we have a manager similar to AW in many ways .. he’s a deep thinker about the game .. the main difference that he is a modern energetic manager who believes in work rate, structure and tactical analysis of the opposition and setting his sides up to deal with that challenge as well as playing the beautiful game. We are much better when we’re not in possession this season.

3. John Mathews legend says:

Hi All,
    First up, thanks for your kind welcome the other night.
    Chas, if you’d forgotten about ‘me’, that’s probably the point…..handsome devil, maybe, but simply not very good at, er, football..
    Raddy, I live in the departement ‘La Drôme’ about an hour south of Lyon, in a bit towards the foothills of the Alps.
    I’m with Rasp on his comments here. Chill out time.

4. LBG says:

If it must be a Revolution, I prefer the “wide reaching change in conditions, attitudes or operation” definition, rather than ” forcible overthrow of system”, because I think “progression” is the all important word ( And I think Manure expected foolishly, the latter).
    At the very least, most have been surprised at the results in this latest long run of games. But surely most would also see positive changes to the system. Terrier’s role, dynamic passing, Bellerin’s getting behind full backs, Holding’s reading of danger, Leno “on the floor”, Wobbly’s increased confidence when told tactically his role.
    Get Kos back, Nacho back, the Greeks together or alternating with Kos and the progression will continue. Then give Dick time to add one or two and……
    How will everyone feel if we take a minimum of four points from Totteringham and Manure games? Chin up.

10. LBG says:

Chas 0626
    I had/ think I still have a Spirograph in the sixties. Endless creativity.

I remember it.

12. LBG says:

0626 And what quality entertainment!
    Record players with an arm allowing you to stack six singles at a time. Short shorts. A ladeee standing like a penguin. Shep saying ” what the f*** is this all about”, and the incomparable John Noakes!

13. LBG says:

Certain, however that the great Russ Conway never recorded ” And don’t put your nose in here, Shep”.

6.26. Outstanding talent – even Noakes was impressed 😀

My sister had a spirograph. So did most of the girls in junior school

There is a New Post