Things we Learnt from the weekend

When Lucas Torreira was bought from Sampdoria, a clause was inserted in the sale agreement which would trigger large additional payments if he started a League game before Christmas.

Auba doesn’t appear to like his left wing duties and didn’t look best pleased when substituted.

No-one really knows what happened at half-time at St James’ Park. Torreira came on as sub for Guendouzi, but that still doesn’t explain how virtually every other player came out of the tunnel with a spring in their step, at least two yards quicker and with a desire to actually play some football.

The Ramsey/Ozil conundrum becomes more complex, unbalancing the side with both vying for the same free role.

Sokratis, while not quite in the Usain Bolt category, has not been taking sprinting lessons from the BFG. Catching and dispossessing  Newcastle’s speedy youngster, Murphy, was no mean feat for our Kalamata Colossus.

Sokratis gleefully runs to celebrate our second goal with the rest of the lads

Our next League opponents, Everton, were finally beaten having drawn three and won one of their opening four games. The hammers rode their luck and took chances to make West Ham Bob’s weekend. Jack is back in the sick bay with an ankle knock.

Liverpool and Citeh look strong but the chavs have somehow managed to keep pace by hook or by crook. Burnley are in an early season swamp, as are Newcastle.

The analysis around the spuds defeat centred around Pochettino having a bad game. Is he getting homesick and looking at Spanish weather forecasts with an envious eye? Let’s hope so. 🙂 (yep, I realise he’s Argentinian – his birthplace is called Murphy!)

chas

21 Responses to Things we Learnt from the weekend

Xhaka’s pass and Laca’s first touch……

2. LBG says:

Good one Chas
    Love your reason for “no start Torreira”, but I’ll pay the extra!
    “Perhaps we needed a better balance in the second half”. Too right, and a bomb up ’em, and some line splitting passes and, and…..
    So Dick get your d*** out and get him in for Thursday.

Nice tackle!

Looking for footage of the Sokratis covering defending, I’ve discovered that Mustafi had a brilliant first half apart from that one slip.

Maybe for tomorrow someone could write an in-depth analysis of Ozil and Ramsey.

We seem to have swapped Ramsey playing right side or box-to-box to accommodate Ozil under Wenger……

………for Ozil playing right side to accommodate Ramsey under Emery.

Micky?

Fine work Chas. “Kalamata Colossus” 😀

The second half was very enjoyable and we could easily have scored a couple more if PEA could learn TH’s “coming in from the left and bending the ball into the far corner” routine.

Like the idea of Terrier contract issues.

Our tactics definitely changed in the second half which is very encouraging. As the the reason … my punt is Amphetamines

Thanks Chas
    Back to comment on post later

Re your Ramsey comment and that perhaps I could pen something, may I point the honourable gentleman at exhibit A ie a post by said Didit

The Ramsey Question
    August 3, 2018

Everyone and his dog knows my opinion on Ramsey and it isn’t good news for his fans 🙂

9. LBG says:

“When he( Alan Smith) was first offered work as a pundit, (his) instinct was “No! No! They don’t want to listen to my whiny Brummie drawl.”
    No Alan, they didnt want to listen to what you thought you had to say! Still don’t!

Thanks chas … all good points (you never know, the Torreira contract speculation could be true 🙂 )

I hope we are getting back to the situation where the players are allowed to rip into one another at half time when they play as badly as in the first half.

I also hope that when we recruit in the future, we don’t buy players because they are clever footballers … but because they have attributes that the team needs.

Ramsey/Ozil is a problem that must be solved … for me, it’s let Ramsey go.

Great to see Papa growing into his role … let’s now see the veins in his neck stand out when he screams at team mates who are failing in their defensive duties.

There are still positive signs. My optimism continues … I now fully expect us to finish above totnum this season.

P.S. … I love the idea of bringing Cesc back to replace Ramsey ….. I’d be happy with his flag flying on the Ken Friar Bridge again if he re-signed…

Back again Chas

Thanks for fine read. I’d forgotten about the “what we learn’t from the weekend” theme. It’s a fine idea.

What did I learn? Nothing at all 🙂

Why? Because I’ve been staring at the bleeding obvious for too long. No offence to you or anyone else, but I completely fail to see any relevant comparison between Mesut and Ramsey

One is a No10, and the other is a 1980’s 4-4-2 box to box player who happens to be allergic to one of the two boxes. In other words, utterly useless in either era. Actually, I think he’s one of the main reasons Arsene got fired.

Auba left wing? Couldn’t agree more. Total waste. If you want to get the best out of him, and bearing in mind you’d be an imbecile not to play Laca as well, then you have no option other than to play 3-5-2, which miraculously, happens to suit Mesu best as well

Spurs being complete pants is no surprise either 🙂

I wasn’t able to watch the game so the clips are much appreciated.

Good read above, I have tons to say but I am working off of a phone.

………Auba Laca
    …………..Mesut
    Nacho. Xhaka. Lucas. Bell
    ……….Sok Kos Licht
    ……………Cech

Might not look like 3-5-2, but it’s close enough for me

15. RC78 says:

Great post. Game was akward and our team average but 1 moment of brilliance by Xhaka and 1 good reaction from Ozil sealed the deal in the end.

Things we learned:
    1. Xhaka only scores from outside the box and is good at set piece delivery.
    2. Ramsey and Ozil have similar movements
    3. Auba not finding his form yet
    4. LT adds impact
    5. Sokratis did weill
    6. Our full backs are not great and overall, our defensive unit is not strong yet
    7. We won 3 in a row, including 2 away games. Feels good.
    8. Preferred line-up until injured players come back
    Cech – Lichten, Mustafi, Sokratis, Monreal – Guendouzi, LT – Ramsey – Auba, Ozil – Laca

16. fred1266 says:

Oozing class and charisma….