Why has it been so easy to say Goodbye to Sanchez?

Usually when one of our ‘star’ players leaves, it is painful to see them in another team’s strip. I’ve felt none of that angst when watching Sanchez play for the red mancs. Why?

Is it because he’s only scored one goal since moving?

Could it be that we knew he wanted to go to City and collect a Prem winners medal but had to accept the far less appealing move to a lesser team but for more money?

Or because he seems to have upset the balance of United’s side while stopping Martial and Rashford from playing in their best positions?

Maybe his need to constantly be the centre of attention by dropping into midfield and coming deep has ended up disrupting the mancs’ midfield?

Seeing the exasperated look on Maureen’s face is bound to soften the blow of the Chilean’s departure from North London.

The dog banner at the Emirates was all well and good in the Club’s attempts to make him feel wanted, but now that he’s gone, his canine obsession made so public seems a bit noncey.

Looking at it from the other angle, how has his move benefitted Arsenal FC?

Well, getting Micki in exchange seems a huge positive, as the boy looks an Arsenal player and his signing, I believe,  was also a key ingredient in the introduction of the next positive – Aubameyang.

Auba has been finding his feet since late January and the ridiculous Uefa ruling on his participation in the Europa Cup hasn’t helped. However three goals and the positive effect of being reunited with Mkhitaryan are plain to see. Next season could be good.

Reports of the dislike for Sanchez in the dressing room means that his leaving may have lifted the mood of the Arsenal players (though some of our recent results appear to belie that notion).  One thing’s for certain, the disruption caused by him not signing a contract extension needed to be ended (perhaps getting rid last summer would have been perfect but not being able to sign his replacement in Lemar from Monaco was a factor).

Maybe, it being relatively easy seeing Sanchez in a Chevrolet shirt, is down to the simple fact that we no longer invest emotionally in players because we know they are mercenaries, simply selling their services to the highest bidder?

What do you think? Maybe you’re still suffering the loss of your favourite player?

chas

62 Responses to Why has it been so easy to say Goodbye to Sanchez?

1. VP of Oz says:

Sanchez in a slump, Mkhi comes in at #10 on the espn power rankingss
    plus Auba
    I think AW absolutely got the TW right and I do believe Sanchez was not a team player and lost the ball far too often, both points that did not make up for his moments of brilliance

2. fatgingergooner says:

The final point is an interesting one Chas. Seeing so many players moving around now does make you a bit numb to the feeling of anger when a star player leaves.

It’s probably a bit of everything you mention in the post. His form tailed off, we were starting to see the negative side of his game and how it affected our set up, he wanted to leave, he was causing disruption, we got a better deal than we could’ve hoped for, and he’s been terrible for United. All these factors make it easier to watch him play for the Manc’s.

I think it also comes down to the fact we know the club we’re going to replace him. We’ve had instances in the past where that hasn’t been the case, but in recent times we’ve shown a willingness to spend the cash and so we were all pretty excited to see who would be the next mercenary coming in. I think it dragged on for so long that we were actually looking forward to a fresh start. I would say the re-signing of Özil on the back of the move was also a massive buffer.

On a side note, apparently Debuchy was player of the Month in France! Get ready for Twitter fans blaming Wengers man management and saying he’s better than Bellerin! 😂 Shame he didn’t get chance to show that form with us. Injuries killed him.

Just on that side note, would anyone (other than Eddie) be upset if we got £50m for Bellerin? Is he that good? I suppose full backs are little more than speedsters these days who can attack and are usually average at defending, so he ticks those boxes, but can’t help thinking something is missing with Hector!

3. Maxwell says:

I’m delighted he left. It’s like a cloud has moved away from the sun. A great and exciting individual, he did many spectacular deeds in an Arsenal shirt. But his negative contribution to team play outweighed his positive side in my mind – and I had felt that way for over a year, not just as the contract acrimony reached a crescendo.

Moreover, I disagree with your last suggestion. Notwithstanding the truth that most footballers are only loyal to their bank accounts, I would have gone into five years’ mourning if Mesut had left. I feel almost as strongly about Jack, Hector, Nacho, Kos – oh, and one OG, sadly departed.

A propos “sadly departed”, a word and a thought for one of the intellectual giants in all history.

Stephen Hawking.

4. fatgingergooner says:

VP,

Wenger got a bit lucky I think in that he took a massive risk keeping Sanchez which didn’t pay off and caused disruption, but United saved him with a last minute swap deal. If they hadn’t come in then it would’ve been City for peanuts, or even worse we’d still have him at the club and then City for nothing.

It worked out in the end and we got a great deal, but in the grand scheme I’m not convinced it was one of Wengers finest moments.

5. Eezzee says:

We did not say goodbye, we said good riddance. I listened to all the experts saying we could,nt afford to lose Sanchez, he would be like van Persie, We did,nt get value for him…… did we??? No one has said what a fantastic bit of business Arsene did getting rid of him and getting mkhi in and yes January signings are hard to blend into the team . Man Utd are finding out for Half amillion a week you have to play him and as we all know Sanchez does,nt play for a team, Sanchez plays for Sanchez . As for Wenger , be careful what you wish for, whoever comes after him is on a hiding to nothing.

Thanks chas, I agree with your main points. There are a couple of added observations I’d make.

He has the gift of superhuman energy … more than I’ve seen in any other player. Unfortunately that trait added to his constant need to prove himself (probably due to a hard upbringing) meant that his personal ambition took precedence over the team ethic. He seemed to believe he could execute a one man press, and scorned his teammates if they didn’t join in.

Also he was becoming a prima donna .. a bit like TH in his last season. Gesturing to other players in an attempt to orchestrate their movement on the pitch … and looking disappointed if he wasn’t served up with the ball exactly where he wanted it.

I remember seeing the look of bewilderment on his face in the FA Cup celebrations … he just didn’t seem to get it … to understand where the passion came from.

I don’t think we should judge him too harshly, but like you, I’m not sad he’s gone and I believe we got the better deal with Miki and Auba.

when Thierry left I cried. When Cesc left I was devastated. When R$P left I was disgusted, When $anchez left I couldn’t give a shit.

I never liked him, mentioned here a few times that somehow I cannot fall in love with him. I don’t even know why because he was good for us, hard working, dedicated, greedy and could score goals. Yet something about him was not very likable, perhaps the rolling up of one leg of his shorts – he wanted to be his trademark, pathetic.

I am not in love with Auba yet, but Miki is very tempting…

Maxwell – great comment

Some terrific comments already, and more often than not, they are prompted by a fine post, so thank you Chas

Eight months ago I would have been really upset at the thought of Sanchez leaving, as more than the goals, his work ethic clearly changed the mind set of many Arsenal players for the better. So thanks to him for that, and thanks also for some very fine match winning performances.

Fast forward to all the contract shenanigans and City talk, followed by the drop in form, and, as others have said, Arsene had an exceptional January transfer window.

Players who have scored more than 20 goals for Arsenal in the EPL …. Sanchez comes 8th

Thierry Henry 175
    Santi Cazorla 25
    Nicklas Bendtner 24
    Nicolas Anelka 23
    Andrei Arshavin 23
    Kevin Campbell 22
    Ray Parlour 21

no thanks to sanchez from me. He was doing his job and was paid handsomely for it. He was by far the worst mercenary ever to wear our shirt, worse than Nasri. At least Nasri went to the club he wanted, Sanchez didn’t care about trophies, money is what he is all about. Never a Gunner.

They’re not all such mercenaries as we might think. Oscar’s motivation for going to China was money … but not just for him.

He supports a wider family … almost a small village … and he felt he had to take the money to be able to repay the part they played in giving him the opportunity to play on the world stage. In his case you could view it as a selfless act.

I’ve just reviewed that list of our goalscorers. Ramsey and Ozil are the only current players on the list

As for the Utd connection

I never thought any of the giants of European would come in for him, leaving realistically only City as the only English club that may match his lofty ambitions (nothing wrong with that)

However, while it appears they were interested in the summer, I suspect the rise of Sane put the kibosh on that particular interest.

Up steps Maureen, and this where the giggles begin….. 🙂

Thanks Chas, excellent post, and you have likely explained most of the key reasons with the dropping too deep e.t.c. We can’t dismiss he was an excellent player for us and got us out of jail a few times with his maverick individualism, but I think this contribution was enhanced by the fact it was happening in a team that was being a bit pants.

I must admit that a while back I was sucked into thinking he was irreplaceable and was the most important thing (new deal) to sort out. Towards the end of last season I had reflected more and realised that Ozil was far and away more important. I started to feel there were plenty of Sanchez style players out there we could replace him with but Ozil has a unique skill that you don’t find around every corner.

I was still concerned about replacing him and losing face by seeing him go for a pittance but we played a blinder in January, with as someone said earlier a touch of luck. Maureens desperation to land him ahead of City helped us here. I wonder how galling it must be for him to realise he did us a massive favour and at the same time not got quite such a gem as he had thought.

Many pundits were gleefully saying we had got the rough end of the deal and Utd had us over. Even at the time I felt Miki would be an excellent swap and felt he had the look of a player that would be a better team fit for us. I think I stated a couple of times that if we added Aube to Miki but lost Sanchez we would be stronger, not weaker, and I stand by that.

VP, Just to say that I admire and respect your unflinching backing of Arsene, even though, as you know, I sing a slightly different tune. I am not sure if you are still around with the time differences e.t.c but I have a genuine question for you.

Do you still personally feel Arsene is the best man to manage this club for the next 2-3 years? I have never directly asked you this question, and have probably done you the disservice of assuming the answer is yes based on your continued backing of him.

I ask this based on your comment earlier about putting things with Arsenal and Arsene in perspective by using Utd as a comparison. Particularly at the end of your 7.33 you question the idea that a change of coach brings success, based on looking at Utd’s post Fergie model. Not bringing this up to pick a fight, just have a genuine interest in your true position.

You see I would agree with you that there is no guarantee of success with a change of coach, with Utd as a good example, but also there are plenty of examples where a change of coach has brought instant success. Chelsea have done it a few times. Ranieri had only just arrived at Leicester when he won the title, and Guardiola is blitzing it in his 2nd season.

I am sure there are many other examples both here and overseas, and I am not suggesting we adopt any of their models. We should look for something a bit more classy and bespoke, but have to enter any new era after such a long tenure with the knowledge we might not have immediate guaranteed improvements.

Also for me the change of coach is not about instant silverware gratification, and in fact many fans that I speak with are the same as me in this. It is more that I feel the end of this great AW era has come and gone, and probably we have over-stayed it.

It is more looking at the repetitive factors that seem to undermine our ability to at least be EPL challengers. Factors that seem to be a blind spot and continue each year. It just feels the coaching, tactics, development of youngsters, and the way we set up and style of play we adopt all feel a bit dated and non progressive. It feels a bit stale and samey to be honest.

I don’t think Arsene has become dreadful, as some would make out, but he just seems to lack something of the new and modern coaching methods, maybe just 10%, but for me a critical 10% that makes all the difference, and that he shows no indication he is aware of this or feels it is important.

He hasn’t become dreadful, as I said, with some of the cups and some of our wins on the way to these standing as testament. I do however think these have been as much to do with us having a far better team of players than many think. When they decide to they can match anyone, but do not regularly play to their potential which leaves us inconsistent year on year in the EPL, which is why I feel a new direction at 1st team coaching level is needed.

Anyway, genuine question, just would be interested in your position.

In the 2016/17 season I was extremely concerned that he had not signed a new contract although I was more worried about losing Ozil. At the start of the current season he looked like he had lost all interest and sadly it rubbed off on the rest of the squad.

It became obvious that he would go to one of the Manchester teams and I would have preferred that he had chosen City. The fact that he chose to chase the ridiculous amount of money offered by United speaks volumes. In the end result I’m delighted to see that he is a misfit and is creating big problems for Mourinho.

My biggest concern is that although our new signings have had positive starts I don’t think that we are any closer to having a squad that can compete in the top echelon of European football, and that will mean that many of our current squad will have to be moved out.

Like every season for the last decade or so – the results of the next transfer window will determine our future.

Another great post from Chas – long may they continue.

Well played, Chas, I knew you were hiding your light under a bushel. 🙂

I suppose there will be speculation about Sanchez’ poor performances for Manure until he starts to score the goals their fans were expecting from him — and he adjusts to not being the Cock of the Walk for them – after Arsenal had set up to play to his abilities.

He was poor for Arsenal this season, altho he still scored some much needed goals, and I guess that was because his mind was all over the place having celebrated being signed by Manc Citeh last summer, only to learn the deal was off at the last minute.

I think in fairness that Auba and Mhki have not really hit their straps yet either — but all three of them will probably come good next season – as regards the first two I really hope so.

If it were possible to re-wind the clock, I think Sanchez should have been let go last summer, despite other deals not happening — it was never going to end well, and the poor team performances and speculation about him possibly singing a contract extension, (according to AW); and which of Citeh or ManU would buy him must have upset the whole team – until Citeh pulled out.

When I typed ‘singing a contract extension’ that would have been novel but might have been off-putting for him – but what I meant was ‘signing a contract extension’ of course.

Either way – he didn’t! 😀

Rasper,

I have no problem with players going for the best financial deal, especially where players from abroad are concerned, as opposed to locally born players – but even there ‘loyalty’ comes second best to big bucks.

A sportsman’s career is relatively short, and does not always end in a top paid commentary job on TV – and even then, some just spit on the opportunity.

I see Mrs May has wagged a finger at those Ruskies, and expelled 23 ‘diplomats’ — so you can expect 23 +1 British diplomats to return in the usual quid pro quo.

RA, Even though May has taken action and the Russians will respond in kind – I fully expect Trump to continue to play dumb until he is turned over by Mueller ‘s investigation.

Hi GN5,

The world is a crazy place.

The three biggest, most powerful countries in the world have two of them extending the length of time their leaders can remain in power – and the other one has Trump.

We are all doomed!!

For once I am happy to say that Theresa May has acted decisively and in my view, correctly … unlike Messrs Trump and the ever politicking Mr. Corbyn.

There is a school of thought that the soviets are testing the resolve of NATO and the EU with this. The former is pretty toothless these days and the latter is saying the right things …. but who knows when it comes to taking action. We already know that Trump has an inexplicable allegiance with the Russians and feels comfortable in the presence of other despots.

We’ve learned the cost of appeasing a bully in the past. We have to make Putin aware that there will be consequences if he tries anything like this again.

RA, Trump is already flying a trial balloon about his envy of Chinese Priminister Xi being able to extend his term – seemingly forever.

Thanks for an excellent Post Chas.

Truth to tell, I never loved Sanchez, even in his first couple of seasons when he was playing better. I loved his great goals and sometimes I loved his energy, but mostly I felt that he forced us to play badly as a team.

His own dreadful habit of giving the ball away (misplacing short passes or running into too many defenders) really hurt us on numerous occasions.

Also, as has been mentioned above, his departure seems to have improved Ozil. When the pair were both on the pitch together Mesut seemed mostly to want to pass to Sanchez, even when better options might have been available. Not sure why that was – they clearly both saw themselves as the “superstars” of the team and maybe Ozil felt pressurised to always look for Sanchez first.

People might well say “just think how badly off we’d have been without his goals,” and I accept that. But I can’t help thinking that if we’d used the Sanchez money on a different top-rated striker at the time we might have got goals plus better team shape and fluidity.

As to the question of why it’s been so easy to say goodbye, I’m sure it’s also helped by the fact that his form has been so terrible since he went to ManUre. If he’d banged in 6 goals in 6 games a few more people might be regretting his departure (though I would not be one of them).

Oops we’ve gone political. I’ll stop as I have some very strong opinions. However I agree with the comments.

It’s great to see a comment from you Rocky, you have been sorely missed here on AA.

30. wally says:

I never mind watching manure lose, especially to a minnow.:)

A couple lessons drawn from manure’s season.
    1) More than money is required for success. You also need a good manager. Mourinho has become average.
    2) It appears that modern player/game doesn’t suit mourinho either.

Hi Rocky … I’m in complete agreement. What surprises me is that Maureen couldn’t see this in Sanchez. Jose is a master of deflection so maybe he thought bringing in a so-called ‘world class player’ would endear him to the fans and hierarchy at manu. If you look at Sanchez’s career, it’s always been the same.

I think Ramsey is the one who has had more space to shine since he left. It would be great if Ramsey could return to the form of a few years ago … pre Alexis.

Harry Kane is out for a month with ligament damage, which has been a recurring problem with his right ankle.

Apologies for the politics earlier. I just think that we are living through a pivotal time. Putin was formerly a KGB officer. His involvement in Syria and focus on subtle means of affecting opinion through social media, planting memes and political doping make him a very dangerous man … and then there’s Trump….

Rasp, maybe we should have a politic’s day?

Hi GN5, I’ve broken my own rules there. I guess we should stick to football and sliders 🙂

I remember hearing the first news of Iraq invading Kuwait and thinking …. this could be the start of something serious. That’s the way I feel about Putin. If the Americans aren’t going to oppose him, who can/will?

Same fears here Rasp, shades of Neville Chamberlain who signed the Munich agreement with Hitler on Sept 30th, 1938 to avert war with Nazi Germany. Sept 1st,1939 Germany invaded Poland – six long years later……..

Apparently Sanchez set a new CL record yesterday … he gave the ball away 34 times … more than any player in CL history

Rocky was here!!!! Hey, happy dayz 🙂

Chas 4:46

ROLF LAMOW Brilliant 🙂

I think fred and I need 4:46 explained

Stephen Hawking on the possibility of contact between humans and aliens:

“I think it would be a disaster. The extraterrestrials would probably be far in advance of us. The history of advanced races meeting more primitive people on this planet is not very happy, and they were the same species. I think we should keep our heads low” :) 🙂 

Top notch post and some top notch comments today.

Have you been doing some carpentry in the garage again LB? 🙂

Blimey, as soon as Giroud slips on a blue shirt he becomes an outstanding world class player …. according to the BT Sport pundits 🙄

47. Olivier Giroud 🙂

Chas
    What time do you leave workski am?
    I’ll do a PM

A bit cryptic Micky

Wooden notches…..carpentry?

I’ve done one already, Micky.
    It’ll be up before 7am.
    You can add a bit if you like.

Chas

You’re doing one of those coup things aren’t you?

We’re loving it 🙂

Maybe I could pen a comment of two or even three sentences around 7:01 to kick things off

LB

Yes, the notches. Sorry, trying to be clever 🙄

Me just showing off. I excelled at carpentry at little school you see, and it’s not often I get to air my wood wisdom

Cross halving joint.

No coup intended, just looking after the shop while BR’s away.

Deffo working tomorrow and Friday, so you could do some match feelings for Fri. But would need them by 6.30am if I’m going to stick them up.

Ow’s that grab ya by the bollox?

Cracking post Chas, personally I find it harder seeing Giroud in a Chav shirt and Gibbs in a Baggies kit. And that is simply because game to game they gave their all with no fuss, no demands

Those that left the club having tried to hold the club to ransom, I couldn’t care less about, and that includes Theo for his delay in signing a contract a few years back.

Crikey Exile, do you know I’d almost completely forgotten about Theo.

Chas
    Does work mean not getting to game tonight? As for feelings, if we won we might get the pleasure of LB’s work, if we lose, Rant Friday will be raring to step up

Micky
    Yep, no game.
    Ant’s going to see the Darts, so he’s not there either.
    This is what it’s come to. 🙂

LB will be at the game, so you can’t expect him to write something when he gets in at 10.30!

Hope it’s not Rant Friday

Theo scored two goals in his first game – all the Wenger moaners said that fat sam had turned him into a worldie – since then he’s disappeared back into obscurity. 🙂

Micky
    Are you ready with your three sentences?

NEW POST