Milan 0 Arsenal 2 – Witnessing A Miracle in Milan – Player Ratings

The psychology of the human, or is it the human psychology? I don’t know, but one thing is for sure, it is a funny old thing. Bit like football.

I have just scanned down the list of the remaining 720 sides left in the Europa, and Milan are, by some considerable margin, what we would call the historically ‘biggest’ named team remaining.

Of course they are nowhere near the Milan of old, but an away win in their home town at the legendary San Siro must feed the psychology of the Arsenal footballer a huge dose of positive vibrations.

Those select, nay elite, few of us who actually managed to watch the entire second half unaided, may have missed the two goals that knocked the stuffing out of the Italians, I wouldn’t know, but not only will our players take confidence into the second leg but into the rest of the competition.

I’m sure we’d all rate Atletico as the biggest threat, but come on, beating them is certainly not beyond us, and I believe our chances would be improved by meeting them in a one off game like the final as opposed to an earlier round two-legger.

Ok, the game itself. For previously mentioned reasons, I might not be best placed with the detail, in any case, I don’t like detail so I’m very much in my comfy zone here.

The team pretty much picks itself which is a real positive. I’ve mentioned before on the blog how I think Granit is a fine player, just not best suited to our own team’s needs in the more frantic English League, however he looked way more comfortable on a pitch with our continental neighbours. You may think it strange that I pick out this particular individual, but this defensive midfield spot is our Achilles heel in the league.

Not sure how serious The Beast’s injury is, but M-N looked absolutely superb. Confident, composed and very very capable.

That’s it. Me done. Over to you Arsene. Rest the whole lot against Watford I say.

Written by MickyDidIt89

Ratings (chas)

Ospina – Another clean sheet, his pace off the line is both his strength and also his weakness, made some excellent interceptions though, so gets a deserved pass – 7

Chambers – Calum must have found playing in a team running its nuts off to support one another so much easier than playing during Sunday’s debacle, nearly scored with a left foot half volley belter  – 7

Koscielny – Really focused and oozing assurance, watching those scary Gattuso videos must have helped get him ‘in the zone’ – 8

Mustafi – another who grew in confidence as the team began to play football again, a warrior when he’s not acting like a tart – 7

Kolasinac – gained in confidence along with the team until he got injured, needs to work on his final ball, though has probably forgotten what you do when you reach the byline – 7

Ramsey – he covers so much ground trying to find space and his ability to pop up in support of the striker is crucial to our style of play, I so love it when you see an Arsenal player round the keeper, it’s as if you can start celebrating a whole half second before the ball is over the line – 8

Xhaka – playing in Europe you could see Granit’s class, his passing and defending were excellent away from the frantic white noise of the Premiership – 8

Wilshere – Jack seemed to be playing further forward than expected, linked very well with his midfield partners, a competent display   – 7

Ozil – two assists, you could visibly see him enjoying playing in a team that was playing football once more and he ran his legs off   – 7

Mkhitaryan – his quality shone through, crucial goal to cement the team’s fine start, a proper footballer, that’s why he didn’t get on with Mourinho – 8

Welbeck – Vast improvement from the MTH, constantly closing down, finding space and holding the ball up well. Much talk about his mishit but I thought the Milan player running behind just clipped his heel, anyway, everyone catches one fat every now and then – 8

Subs

Maitland-Niles – so cool on the ball, his pace is a wonderful asset – 7

Holding and Elneny – slotted in and did what was asked of them – 7

Manager

Big Weng – got everything right, Gennaro who? – 9

68 Responses to Milan 0 Arsenal 2 – Witnessing A Miracle in Milan – Player Ratings

Morning Folks,

The Mickish / Chas show is a classy act! Really enjoyed that in toto, the main Post reflected my views too, and no one could surely object to the ratings, other than to shade one or two up or down by a point.

Looks like we have a new partnership. 😀

2. RC78 says:

– Great summary and great post and great result
    – As I was saying earlier, our team seems more suited to European football especially players like Mustafi, Xhaka, Ramsey and Miky

There are some great teams left in the competition but I feel that we have a shot at it – let us win this Cup and allow AW to leave on a high.

Ospina has been solid as always – reliable GK

3. RC78 says:

Excellent display by Ozil by the way 🙂

Xhaka 8? Hm, not sure Wenger would agree, Did you see him going mental with Granit?

Micky,

Perhaps I should explain why my views and yours coincided so well from my perspective — as you know, I missed 20/25 minutes of the first half, and then enjoyed the second half.

However, in the 2nd half I received a ‘phone call from a dear friend who I had not heard from for some time — I just could not say ‘bugger off’ so missed 30 mins of that half.

Remarkably I missed as much of the game, if not more than you – so your views above were in agreement with mine.

[And tho I set the TV ‘record’ for the game — my mate’s girlfriend had other ideas – and as it is his pad – his TV – his Sky/BT subscription – she had an implied right of veto, as he was not in.] Grrr

6. RC78 says:

Let us beat Watford just to shut that Deeney down a bit and let us show him some special treatment – a bit of shoving and rough tackles would do him some good…

Team against Watford:
    Cech – Holding, Kos, Mus – Chambers, Ramsey, Wilshere, AMN – Miky, Ozil – PEA

Trying to suppress chortles of delight watching the game, with the sound turned off, and answering / replying to someone on the ‘other end of the phone is nigh impossible – so I effectively missed most of the game – and I hope I am not now missing a good friend this morning.

Football, eh?

Thanks Micky and chas …. spot on!!

We must view this as the start of recovering our mojo. I agree the game suited our style, we struggle to cope with the pressing game in the prem, but our biggest problem has been a lack of confidence and everything that results from that.

Two players I’d pick out simply because they appear to be improving and growing into the side are Chambers (I’d incorrectly pretty much written him off) and M-N who I thought was a more than adequate replacement for Kolasinac.

Lastly I’d mention Welbeck. He worked very hard, linked up well and created space for others. He appears to me to have either lost a yard of pace through injury (hopefully temporarily) or, he is worried about over stretching himself for fear of exacerbating the injury.

Eddie
    When Granit shot instead of passing he went from a 9 to an 8. 😊

Nahhhh, I’m with Granit’s “why not?” to Wenger

No shoot, no score 🙂

Went from a 9 to an 8 in Big Weng’s estimation.
    Went up a point in everyone else’s.
    Rambo liked it.

Granit looked like a naughty school boy 🙂
    and when the ref kept telling Xhaka to look at him, he kept eyeballing the opponent. He is a character, I am beginning to like him a bit

not sure if anyone touched upon it, but what happened to the team last night?
    Same players, same manager, hostile atmo, unfamiliar stadium and yet our lads played better than they played at home lately.

It has to be the psychological motivation. Wenger must have managed to explain the importance of the game. Even they understood. I cannot see any other explanation. Unless they all hate Hector, his good looks and impeccable sartorial taste

hector at the London fashion week.
    in his pyjamas 🙂

Eddie
    I’ve no idea what happened to them – hence ‘miracle’ in the title of the post.
    They bore no resemblance to that shower who played at Brighton.
    A transformation of biblical proportions.

Maybe against City in the league we didn’t play that badly but at Brighton their minds were on the Milan game to come?
    That’s all I can come up with.

When I first saw that photo of Hector with the bat wings and trouser leg missing outift, I thought it was real, I’m that stupid!

Eddie thinks the picture is real and that he looks wonderful

She has what I’d describe as old school eastern bloc taste 🙂

19. RC78 says:

Bellerin to force a move to Barcelona this summer. We are looking at roughtly 45-50 Mln minimum.

Alaba from Bayern also favoring a move to Barcelona.

Barcelona could have:
    – Bellerin, Sergio Roberto as RB
    – Alaba and Alba as LB

This is scary

no, Barca don’t want Bellerin.

Miracle of biblical proportion 🙂 🙂 I think most miracles of biblical proportions took place in Italy and Ireland. Perhaps we could ask for Wenger to be canonized?

old school taste? I am not the one who’s wearing a flat cap 🙂

I love weird clothing though, my son dresses very well, a bit like older, bigger Bellerin. I think he looks great in grey long johns. plimsols and a dinner jacket 🙂

i didn’t think the Bat outfit was real – head is too big and legs are clean shaven. On the photo with pyjamas legs have very hairy ankles. Not completely stupid, me.

“I think he looks great in grey long johns. plimsols and a dinner jacket”

ha ha ha, this is what I mean by eastern bloc taste. Sorry Eddie, but we Englishmen fall about in Kanesque slack jawed horror at your fashion woopsies 🙂

I saw the original Rio knobhead Ferdinand tweet.

Footballers usually have massive thighs…..

ha ha ha oh yuk

Yip, it’s Friday alright 🙂

From the continental role of Granit within the classic central defensive alignment, to Eddie Polski’s column What The Well Dressed Albanian Is Wearing to Paul Scholes’ dick

Ooops

Theo through the middle, anyone?

29. hahahaha, cheers for the post lads, hahahahaha, that Ferdinand Tevez image is the funniest thing I’ve seen for ages,Burst out laughing, hahahahaha, who said visual homo erotic comedy was dead? hahahahaha, will come back when I’ve composed myself.

dear lord, what has happened here today?
    all bushy tails 🙂
    what the hell was Tevez doing up Rio’s shorts?????

micky – if all of us dressed like you and Ant, fashion would be dead. During the communist era in Poland we all wore the same outfits because that was all available from the normal shops. There were pri vate expensive boutiques and shops for foreigners where you paid with dollars, but those were out of my mother’s reach. I was so envious of my school mates’ mohair jumpers and jeans, I still remember colours and styles. It was awful country to grow up in. Maybe that is why I embrace diversity, more weird the better.

I was with my granddaughter at a gymnastics class last week. All the girls wore the same outfits except for my princess. I asked her if she doesn’t want to dress like other children? NO!! She doesn’t 🙂 My girl 🙂 🙂

Morning all, thanks for the posts Micky/Chas combo.

MorningWenger has revealed the latest team news ahead of Sunday’s game against Watford at Emirates Stadium.

The Arsenal manager provided updates on Sead Kolasinac, Calum Chambers, Nacho Monrea, Hector Bellerin and Alexandre Lacazette and this is what he said:

on the team news…
    Sead Kolasinac has an ankle problem, but we don’t rule him out for Sunday yet. Calum Chambers had cramps, because he played in a position which he is not used to for a centre back. He should be OK though.

on Nacho Monreal…
    Nacho Monreal is on a good way, he could be available again for next Thursday.

on Hector Bellerin…
    Hector Bellerin we don’t know yet, we have to see. He is not available for the weekend though.

on Alexandre Lacazette…
    Alexandre Lacazette has his first run today, but won’t be back until after the international break.

Read more at https://www.arsenal.com/news/team-news-kolasinac-chambers-bellerin-nacho#O6jH9BiiYlKFyj6V.99

34. RC78 says:

Did any Milan player meet your fancy?

Marcus McGuane
    Born in London, McGuane is a product of Arsenal’s Hale End Academy having joined at the under-6 level.[4][5] He was the captain of the Arsenal under-18s and a regular for the under-23 side.[5] On 28 September 2017, McGuane was named on the bench for Arsenal’s UEFA Europa League match against BATE Borisov. He came on as a 79th-minute substitute for Reiss Nelson as Arsenal won 4–2.[6]

Barcelona
    On 30 January 2018, McGuane signed with FC Barcelona B.[7] On 7 March 2018, McGuane played for FC Barcelona first team in their Supercopa de Catalunya final (Catalan Super Cup Final), coming on as a 77th minute substitute for Aleix Vidal,

And why did we sell him??

Because he didn’t want to stay

38. fred1266 says:

Good thing you said it

oooohhh, I really fancy a new pair of Dr Martens, black patent. But i am scared you lot would take the piss again. I could wear them to the Watford game…shall I? They proper football supporter’s shoes, no?
    Mind you, I’d be sitting near Elton john, perhaps I’d better wear heels

Loved the point about being able to celebrate that split second earlier than the ball has hit the net and boy did I celebrate, a real leap up from the chair, fist in the air and a loud shout of yessss. I was in a bar of mixed supporters, they needed to know.

Eddie

We would not take the piss if you bought more DM’s

Shit, 6:51, I’ve been hacked

what a clever fan, excellent interview

I didn’t know Neymar broke his foot, whoops, what a shame, he won’t be able to return to Barca hopping on one leg

what’s going on?

see, you are already taking the piss

Eddie
    The lads are trying to decide whether to go on a cheap weekend to Poland.
    A place called Bydgoszcz.
    Do you have any thoughts, please?

Bydgoszcz?? what’s there apart from notorious racist thugs? It is called the Death Valley after nazi murders there in 1939.

No, I would not go there. There are spectacular lakes around, but cold until june/July.

Go to Warsaw or sea side, or mountains. Don’t go to Krakow, they hate the english there – signs in restaurants – ‘No English please’ 🙂

i wish I didn’t see this video, now I am really madly in love with Hector. Do you think he could visit me too?

Thanks, Eddie.

Is there an Irish bar there where you can watch premiership football at least?

every town on this planet has an irish pub, I thought you’d know that.
    I have been to Bydgoszcz only once, many years ago and was unimpressed.
    You could go to Gdansk by the sea, lovely historical town. A short trip to Hel will blow your mind, so beautiful.

Bydgoszcz is like wanting to visit UK and starting with Nottinham 🙂

are you going to the game tomorrow? I am, first game in over a year, I am very nervous. Hope that Deeney has a stinker

Eddie

Why aren’t the English liked in Krakow?

genitals. There were many English lads going to stag does to Krakow. Unaccustomed to strong polish vodka they would get paralytic, strip naked and offend the historical sites with their tiny willies.

Yes, going to the match.
    FFB doesn’t open until 12, so probably be either Worlds End or Kings Head.
    Matt my nephew is going as he’s over from the U.S.

p.s. Nottingham is a great place to start a tour of England.

NEW OLD POST

wow, Nottinham does look lovely. I may even go there for a day trip

I can’t go to the pub. Ex-boyfriend wants to have lunch at the Ems before the game.

Ah, if you’re going corporate, I can understand getting your money’s worth. Have fun.