Aubameyang – Destined to Play for Arsenal

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, also known as PEA or ‘Auba’ has already mentioned that he would like to emulate Thierry Henry as an Arsenal great. They were both wingers at the start of their careers who developed a killer instinct in front of goal. While Thierry developed his art at Highbury under the guidance of Arsene Wenger, Auba comes to Arsenal Football Club in his prime and as the finished article. Anyone connected with the club will be hoping he can emulate his predecessor’s success while playing in the same number 14 shirt.

It’s a little known fact that Auba was an Arsenal supporter when younger 🙂

Auba was born in Laval, France in June 1989. His mother, Margarita Crespo Aubameyang has roots in Spain while his Gabonese father, Pierre (nicknamed ‘Yaya’), played professional football for a variety of clubs including Le Havre, Toulouse and Nice before ending his career at another French club, Rouen. He also made 80 appearances for the Gabon national team as solid defender and national captain.

His grandfather took Auba to his first serious training sessions at Laval aged 11. But it was not until his father took him into the first-team dressing room at Nice that the bug really bit. “Something changed in me. I had had the dream of being a pro. But it was a dream, lots of kids have that,” Aubameyang explained. “But when I breathed in the air of the dressing room, I knew exactly what I wanted to do.”

After finishing his playing career, Pierre Senior worked as a coach for AC Milan and Auba joined his two half-brothers, Catalina and Willy at The AC Milan academy. His early career spluttered and loans to Dijon, Lille and Monaco weren’t as successful as they might have been.

By 2011 AC Milan had decided the young winger could move on. St Etienne coach Christophe Galtier saw huge potential in the lightning speed of the young Gabonese player (reportedly clocked at AC Milan running 30m in 3.7 seconds – faster than a 2009 Usain Bolt) and after an initial loan period, the Ligue 1 side signed him on a permanent deal. Thirty-five league goals in just 73 league appearances over the next two seasons proved Galtier absolutely right.

Aubameyang’s love of sports cars, jewel-encrusted boots and outlandish clothing may take the headlines but he is a loving father to son Curtys and often dedicates goals to his son by wearing superhero masks in the celebration. According to his close friend Christophe Jallet, “Aubameyang is a quiet lad who doesn’t visit nightclubs, doesn’t drink alcohol and always dreams about football.”

Dortmund had come to notice that Auba had developed a cold-blooded goalscorer’s instinct in front of goal and signed him in July 2013. He made a dream debut a month later scoring a hattrick against FC Augsburg.

Auba’s Dortmund career has launched him into the world spotlight, scoring 141 goals in 213 appearances for the Bundesliga side. He won the German equivalent of the Golden Boot award in the 2016/7 season with his 31 league goals. Fittingly the trophy is a cannon and seems almost prescient of his Arsenal career to come.

Arsenal’s wantaway Chilean’s transfer to Manchester has led to Auba’s ex-Dortmund colleague Henrikh Mkhitaryan also being welcomed to the home of football. Let’s hope their previously successful partnership can be fruitful once again.

Welcome to Arsenal, Auba. We all hope your stay with us is both productive and joyful.

85 Responses to Aubameyang – Destined to Play for Arsenal

1. Red Arnie says:

Great stuff, mystery author. 🙂

Welcome Auba. A few years earlier would have been even better. We would have progressed ahead of the yellow army of BvB and might even have won the bloody continental trophy.

Anyway, good to see that good sense has finally struck. Better late than never!

Super work Raddy, I’m even more enthused at his arrival after learning of his journey to Arsenal.

At 28 he is at his prime, he should be able to take the pressure … even thrive on it, but I guess we should be careful not to let our expectations go over the top. I’ll settle for a goal a game for the rest of the season 🙂

3. Zee says:

The problem, it seems to me, when a newbie player arrives, especially one who is a record buy, is that they have a lot to live up to, and that can be daunting and result in less than expected success.

I am specifically referring to Aubamalama in the above instance, but I think poor old LaCaz has somewhat become ‘yesterday’s man’ as his goal return has been pretty average this season (maybe less than average in the eyes of some) as he has fallen victim to the over-expectations of the fans — and there are already mutterings in the undergrowth that he should be moved on.

Utter nonsense. He has been in a poorly performing team with players being injured, or dropped because of their loss of form, and some just have not adjusted to the runs LaCaz has been making.

He will come good, and as Aubama and Mkhit have already played together for Dortmund and that will help.

A goal a game, Rasper? Yes, and maybe more – but if it does not happen – we will just have to give the ‘new team’ a chance to show their paces next year.

ooooohh, very encouraging
    He bangs in goals, doesn’t drink, loves his son, dreams football…yep, my kind of guy, in footballing terms of course.

Being brought up in France you’d expect him to love emerald studded trainers; I am sure his style will improve while at Ems. Hector will show him

As for giving him no 14…don’t know. I would love that to be forever Thierry’s.
    (Van persie is no 32 at Feyenoord, rot in hell traitor)

Welcome to the Arsenal Aubame

5. Jjgsol says:

As so many of his goals appear to be tap ins or in the penalty area, I hope that ozil and the other providers are able to make the chances for him especially in the congested bus parked goal areas he will find in the epl.

6. VP of Oz says:

So I put Aubameyang into my fanrasy team and it says he is ill

8. VP of Oz says:

boss Arsene Wenger confirmed their £56million club-record signing has been battling illness and will need to be assessed by the club’s medical staff but revealed Jack Wilshere is fit after his bout with fever.

Chas. Fine welcome post.

I had no idea PEA was so steeped in football.

My apologies chas, I had credited Raddy with the post 😳

12. Nice one chas

PEA is a funny looking bloke? Seems that for for mating ground hes had a fight with a Peacock.

Apart from his PEAfoul dust ups, what ive seen of him is a very intelligent player, flash git, and somersaults that provoke fear in middle aged men of vertigo and space travel.

I have a feeling he will score loads of goals

Thanks Chas. Basically I don’t expect us to see another player at Arsenal like Henry for a long time, if ever. I think PEA is a pretty close match but no-one is quite like TH14 as a striker. In terms of speed, size, strength, and goal rate they are pretty similar but TH14 had an almost ballerina type elegance on the ball in the way he could twist and turn, and in his vision and link up play, which was literally at that of a top creative midfielder. He was prolific striker and creative link up player all rolled in to one.

TH14 stands alone for me but as I say PEA looks to be one of the best out there and has a lot of similarities, and I am delighted he is with us at what I consider a bargain rate for a player like him in the current market.

One word of caution though which tally’s with RedZee’s 10.10 comment and reference to Lacazette. Undoubtedly there is an adjustment period, for some more so than others, and for instance Lacazette is likely going through this to some degree. I also agree about the players behind him learning where to play the balls for his runs better, however I feel there is more to it than that with Lacazette (which I have mentioned before so apologies for those that have already read this).

I still see a clinical finisher in Lacazette with loads of goals in him. I don’t think he just flattered in the French league and can’t cut it here, and when he gets that opportunity he is an excellent finisher. I think there is something more fundamental though than the players behind him just providing better passes for him. We actually have some of the best defence splitting passers of the ball behind him already, including arguably the worlds best, so if they cant find him then it is something else for me.

I think it is the set up that Arsene has been employing. Lacazette basically just looks isolated and often has the ball played to him with 2 defenders on him. He is not a Giroud type striker to fight off 2 CD’s and is a mobile clinical finisher that needs the right balls but also needs to be in the right place and space to get a shot off. Some of this space he will be expected to create himself but some will need to be created by team mates in their ability to occupy and pull defenders away from him.

This is where we are failing and it is because he has too many players that are more comfortable sitting back a bit rather than getting in next to him, so in certain critical moments when the ball is played in there is no other player near enough to him. 2 seconds later is too late. Even Sanchez wandered off deeper and didn’t support him enough.

This is why I feel AW needs to ditch 1-2 of these types of midfielders to accommodate players whose natural game is play alongside or closer to the striker. AW just has to go more attacking and play PEA with Lacazette rather than one or the other, so that they both create that space for each other. I think they could be devastating together. Preferably I would even like Miki in close to them as well rekindling his high assist high score rate of his BVB days with PEA.

AW has his preferences though in both system and player and is notoriously stubborn to shake it up, but I believe that making this talented group of players work to their optimum (which I feel could take us right up there with the best) is all down to him now and how he combines it. If it fails then I really feel it will be to do with this.

Thanks Chas, fine write up.

It’s going to be very strange getting used to an Arsenal side with Ox, Walcott, Giroud, Coquelin and Debuchy nowhere to be seen. New players are always a big gamble, especially at today’s prices, but change was needed and boy do we have change!!
    I’m more than a little surprised that we did not strengthen our porous defense but maybe that’s for the next window.

GN5, stop all the namby pamby casual tippy tappy in the midfield and defence that sees us eventually make a sloppy pass or get caught on the ball in dangerous positions and the defence will be much improved.

When you think about it many of our defensive errors are to do with that, they are self inflicted, rather than the defending of a situation per se. New defenders will not necessarily correct this as it is more a team style issue than individual quality one (although not saying a new shiny commanding 6’3″ TA wouldn’t be welcome in the summer).

Jack is important because he helps us bring the ball out of defence far more effectively, but also having less tippy tappers that enjoy having sideways and backwards fun and games in no mans land, and more moving it forwards quickly and incisively to our devastating front line will cut out all that rubbish.

I predict us winning most games 7-2 🙂

GB – and I predict we will read about your cannabis growing factory in the media soon.

GN5 – I take it you won’t miss sanchez much 🙂

Who is that lady leaning against the red wall up there

chas @12:20
    fat chance mesut nobody would know who you are, the eyes on the sides of your head are a dead give away.

Lovely piece, made me almost cry

LB 10.25

AW looks a few years younger in today’s press conference. Could he be excited about this new team?

Great work Chas, thanks

I still struggle to believe we’ve actually got Auba at The Ems

I think he looks like one half of Black Jedwood, but I guess Eddie’s the fashion expert around here, have to get her take 🙂

The penny has just dropped

He does look chipper

Eddie, That’s strange but true -I’d already forgotten all about him – it must be that Manchester stink………….

yes, I suppose I can be called a fashion expert
    my favourite catwalk line featuring muddy wellington boots and dirty hooded waxed jacket, sheer class

I don’t follow european football and unless the players is from poland, I don’t know much about them. Auba was completely off my radar and I was sure Lewy was the top bundesliga sriker.

but I am excited, I am really looking forward to seeing him play. I am planning a trip to the Ems soon, perhaps Watford game

27. fatgingergooner says:

In a world full of dancing, prancing, ballbag footballers, and moaning, groaning, cockend managers, it is unbelievably refreshing to hear Wenger come out and say that he sold Giroud to Chelsea because he had given so much to the club and had just had a third child so it was difficult to leave London.

Don’t get me wrong, we all know Wenger wanted and got Aubameyang out of the deal, but not many managers actually give a shit about their players like Wenger does. He has often talked about the pleasure he gets from being part of the reason the younger players make careers for themselves and earn the sort of money they do.

As a football manager he is open to all sorts of criticism, and rightly so, but it’s when people question his character that I have issue. He’s a good man.

30. VP of Oz says:

Arsenal have added Santi Cazorla, Konstantinos Mavropanos and Henrikh Mkhitaryan to their Europa League squad for the competition’s knockout stages.

Santi Cazorla has admitted he is unlikely to play again this season.
    As such Cazorla’s inclusion in the Europa League squad is not expected to be more than a token gesture.

I agree FGG, I think AW looks after his players over and above.

ohhhhh pleeeeaze, Giroud is worth about £110mil !!
    A move to the moon could be arranged without him even knowing the whole family was lifted from London

Kyle Walker’s wife just had the 3rd child and he requested a move up north

If another team offered more money for Giroud, but he was sold for less to Chelsea than we’ve been had, again.

I hope the story is sheer bullpoo

It’s a definite Yes vote from me for the new Chas avatar, and that’s massive breaking news because I don’t even vote 🙂

Match day. Shit KO time for the go’ers, ideal for armchair’ers

Morning all

well spotted micky, who is she :):)

Oh come on Eddie, Ollie has had a great career considering everything

Reached a high few players ever experience when he did a French Leicester with Montpellier. Then some great times with the Gunners and some vital goals here and there with odd trophies

Nothing will happen in Fulham for either him or his pathetic new club

He’ll pick up some nice retirement loot, and hopefully for him, get some playing time ahead of the World cUP

before a PM is published I wish to issue a statement on this country’s treatment of Theresa May – shocking, shame on you! the most dignified prime minister since Maggie and she is treated really poorly by her own people. End of statement.

Who is she? Any old blonde with big tits and a tight top

micky – I love Ollie and will genuinly miss his towering figure at the start of games. you don’t need to defend Ollie from me. BUT I don’t believe he was allowed to go to Fulham because his wife is pregnant

Come on, that is just pathetic! Do you really believe that?

That’s a brilliant idea. Issuing statements. Love it. The fact that I have no idea what you’re talking about is irrelevant 🙂

old? 🙂 I was queuing yesterday and a woman with amazing long blond hair was in front of me. I stood there with my miserable short grey wig feeling jealous. And then the blond with over knee leather boots turned – she was older than me!!! I nearly laughed, how undignified 🙂

micky – then watch the coverage of her trip to China.

i have to go, another hot date 🙂

What the hell do you mean…short hair?

Short haired women are all angry lefties who refuse make up and razor blades

another hot date? Did you eat the last one?

8:06 ha ha ha ha

aahhh, no need to be jealous chas
    In poland we have a proverb ‘Kazda potwora znajdzie swego amatora’ which roughly means even the ugliest will find their own admirer. I am sure your time will come too darling, good luck

47. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha, what wonderful batner! motning all.

Matchday!

Eddie you’re back
    Issue another statement forthwith with full disclosure over the new date

50. Red Arnie says:

Let me pick on Eddie, just for a couple of moments.

@7:55. Boooooooo! I thought this was a free country, no? People are free to treat Maggie Thatcher II however they wish, within the law and within reason. No?

Arnie
    Shouldn’t each sentence finish with ‘Yes?’

Theresa May – first up against the wall

maybe

54. Red Arnie says:

Second, surely the trip for the Watford game is not to see Auba. You had promised you would make a trip if Iwobi and Laca scored against Palace, and they did. And you are just keeping your promise, no! 🙂

55. Red Arnie says:

Chas. No. 🙂

No? ie Yes, or No, No. Yes? or is it No?

57. Red Arnie says:

Micky. that sounds like Rumsfeld 🙂

Oh god, please don’t make me go googlise Rumsfeld

59. Red Arnie says:

Anyway, foul mood. First time in my career I have voted for industrial action. Have joined in the picket line in the past, but never bothered to vote. Was not even a member of the union. But things have changed lately. Very much for the worse. So, I am looking forward to potentially a fortnight’s unpaid holiday on the picket line.

Reason. Onslaught on our pensions.

Suga3 on LG used to use that ‘No?’ thing on the end of each sentence and I always thought it was to browbeat people into agreeing with him, so I’ve not liked it ever since.

Elephants never forget.

Arnie
    Pensions start to become important once you’re in your Forties, like you.

62. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha, Chas, Yes. 🙂

63. Red Arnie says:

Recent rule imposed that any union vote is invalid if 50% of the members have not voted. Result? This.

i am trying no to swear these days, but fucking elephants can drive you mad

yes arnie, but I never keep any promises 🙂 conveniently forget

Eddddiiieeee, the date?

Arnie, sorry to hear of your dark clouds. Throw stink bombs at someone

Eddie’s 8.15 riposte really had me laughing 😀

67. Red Arnie says:

Surely, the date is for the evening. Eddie is starting early preparations for the evening 🙂

Ahhh Erik has arisen. How long before we have to talk about football? Before or after the eggs and soldiers?

Shitballs, my day is in tatters

All looked so perfect. While Arnie was to be on the picket line hurling foul missiles, I was to be in Exeter buying a box of 25 hand rolled Cuban No1’s, collect my daughter at 12:30 and be back for the Wales Scotland rugger match at 2:30 before watching The Gunners net five later on

She now gets in at 2:15

Livid

Micky. . Mrs R has put her foot down. Says, I am getting a bit tubby (and I am under 80 kg!). No more full English, been reduced to effing muesli with watered down milk.

Still it is better than the alternative which is a reduction in evening alcohol intake.

Micky. Bus pass and a bicycle are the answer

Ha ha, my daughter on a bicycle!!! Now that thought has lifted my mood considerably

By the sound of things, Mrs R’s actions are, at the very least, highly provocative. I’d imagine she’s trying to engineer some kind of confrontation.

Take up arms would be my advice.

73. Red Arnie says:

even stink bombs ….. 🙂

Micky/Arnie. Mrs R is a Viking. Immune to both stink and violence. Pathetic surrender is the only way forward.

BTW. Peaches has short hair.

There is a New Post