Arsenal v Palace. 3pm KO. It matters.

First up, a word on the opposition, Crystal Palace.

Here is another club I don’t think should even exist. So someone knocks up a glass shed in Hyde Park to show off some knick-knacks from around the world, then moves it South London when everyone’s seen enough, and somehow, this becomes good enough reason to name a football club after it. Ok, whatever, I guess.

Having said all that, there are a few notable highlights in their history. One, the development of Ian Wright as a superstar of world football, and the other being their famous triumph during the 1913-14 season, when they won the London Challenge Cup by beating Tottenham Hotspurs 2-1 at Highbury.

Now, down to business. Does today’s fixture even matter?

Yes it bloody well does because we WILL all be watching, so quite apart from anything else, we might as well score a hat full and enjoy ourselves.

I have no idea how Palace play,  but that wouldn’t alter the way Arsenal line up anyway. Also no idea who’s fit or what’s going on regarding transfers. I’ll hazard a guess and say that Sanchez won’t start, and despite whatever it is you think about the slippery dog fancier, we will be short on goalscorers. Because you lot appear to like that line up thing, here’s a stab at it:

Laca

Iwobi Mesut

M-N Jack Granit Bell

Kos Must Cham

Cech

Options: Danny, Rambo, Beast, Nelson

Hope we score four. Enjoy your day if going. Up The Gunners.

Written by MickyDidIt89

168 Responses to Arsenal v Palace. 3pm KO. It matters.

1. VP of Oz says:

If Crystal Palace had converted their penalty in injury time, they would have ended ManShitty’s unbeaten run this season before Liverpool and left Pep with 2 games in a row without a result.

This game wont be easy but I’ll go out on a limb again and predict an Arsenal victory.

2. VP of Oz says:

Eddie, Dotcom is not a criminal, he is still at liberty in New Zealand and fighting the US legal machine.

Remember – “This is the West, Eddie. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.”

Ha ha Chas, you snookered me.

Great pics, and there was me expecting you to adorn the post with a pic of a B&Q 8’x6′ glass shed 🙂

Definitely would have been a better idea.

I like the way this pre-match gets to the heart of the issues like
    Does anyone give a f*ck? and
    Who the f*ck still plays for us?

Cheers, Micky.
    Pack up and beer is locked and loaded for the train – I’m going to enjoy myself regardless of the football – a habit that’s been easy to develop this season.

Though there have been some stonking games full of entertainment. Mind you, I’d prefer it if there was less chance of a heart attack every second (football rather than pack up induced) 🙂

6. Ant says:

Gooner B- get your teeth into that tactical master class. Thanks Micky

7. Ant says:

We’ve got some 28 year old Irish single malt whiskey to enjoy in the hip flask today

8. Red Arnie says:

ha ha Micky? Brilliant. Get down to the basics stuff, Cheers. 🙂

Do we even care? Yes, because we all WILL be watching, because that is a perfectly respectable way to spend a Saturday afternoon. 🙂

9. Red Arnie says:

VP, Eddie. Freedom of information should really be one of the basic rights. 3 cheers to Fat Dotcom for his epic fight. The NZ govt actually tried to extradite him, so his fight is as much against the NZ state as the US. 🙂

10. Red Arnie says:

Irish single malt whiskey? ha ha, does not count. 🙂

11. Red Arnie says:

“I’m going to enjoy myself regardless of the football – a habit that’s been easy to develop this season” 🙂

Arnie
    I made a similar point earlier about the UK in the case of Assange. He’d be arrested here, then packed up in a box and shipped to the US.
    If our pigs weren’t such a bunch of corrupt spineless festering turds of human beings, there wouldn’t be a problem. Refuse to arrest him. Simple.

Ant 🙂

No tactics required. As usual.

14. chas mobile says:

15. fatgingergooner says:

Given our poor form I wonder if Ramsey might start today and maybe Monreal, although they could be eased back in by Wenger.

Think Welbeck might have a slight injury picked up in training.

We really need Lacazette and Özil to find some chemistry.

Ant
    Looking at the booze supply, can we assume you’re travelling alone?

17. Red Arnie says:

yes, indeed, Micky. Agreed. Effectively a 51st state of the US as well, which is a great shame.

18. Red Arnie says:

Duck n’ Ant. Great. 🙂

19. Ant says:

Well Micky, Chas is here at the moment but when I finish the 8% double IPA craft beer that my daughter bought me for Christmas….then we’ll see if he stays

20. chas mobile says:

A couple are mine. 🍺🍺

21. Ant says:

When we two are blogging on the train, any comment over 50 words is banned.. doing really well so far everyone

22. Ant says:

One for Micky..

23. Ant says:

Our motto

24. Ant says:

Do you listen to BBC 6 music Micky? It’s superb

Superb ante-PM Micky 🙂 ….. WTF is my assessment in advance of the game … and probably after too … but who knows 🙂

Maybe we should rename the site Sardonic Arsenal until the current pantomime is over. If I wish for one thing from this game it would be for Lacazette to get a brace and his confidence to come flooding back.

26. chas mobile says:

27. Ant says:

Football is brilliant

28. Ant says:

Not a patch on Chas’s pack up!

We have pâté with caramelised shallots in the rolls today.
    Aldi’s finest range!

30. Ant says:

what does sardonic mean Rasp? 😓

31. Ant says:

Anyone at the FFB today…. Fred?

I know you know … but … here it is any way 🙂

sardonic
    adjective
    grimly mocking or cynical.
    satirical

Are you in the upper tier today, Freddie-baby?

34. Ant says:

have fun, drink beer, eat, watch, enjoy

35. Ant says:

Gooner B in FFB?

very entertaining post, thanks Didit

CP have many experienced players and Roy Hodgson, it could be a tough game especially at the time that our normally inferior scoring army has been further depleted by the imminent departure of dog loving worst ever mercenary.

I have a gut feeling it is going to be a draw.

Did CP flog Chamakh?

37. Ant says:

Too many words Eddie darling!

38. Ant says:

Draw.. my arse!

Train stopped outside St Pancras cos we’re a bit early.
    Train driver is inspecting damage to front of train due to a bird strike. “Hopefully this won’t delay us getting in to St P on time”

FFS.

40. Ant says:

Is a bird strike from Carry on at your convenience?

We’re moving, so the blog can return to normal.
    Tara.

Thanks for the post Micky. I was pleasantly surprised to see my Dad in the crowd picture – he’s easy to spot as he never wore a hat.

One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven…………………………………………………………………..fifty fifty ine fifty two

44. Afternoon all, thank you Micky for a great pre-match. I may not get to the game ….. since my daughter became an in demand yoga teacher I seem to have lost my own life.

Hope all those going get to cheer many goals 😁

In Italy. No access to the game which usually means it will be a cracker.

PM a masterpiece, thank you.

COYRRG

46. fatgingergooner says:

Will just be happy if we score some goals today!

Loads of rubbish around about us selling to rivals, but that’s the power of the PL now. Players want to stay in this league and the foreign clubs can’t afford the wages so it’s inevitable that this will increase.

Thanks for the pm micky. Hoping for lots of goals….from the home team. Get the youth in there is what i say as gie posted. Stick eddie up top with laca and ainsley behind jack and mesut in a 3-5-2. Having to be careful not to upset the vines as they have new eco warrior body guard

Cech, Bellerin, Koscielny, Mustafi, Monreal, Elneny, Wilshere, Xhaka, Ozil, Iwobi, Lacaztte

FFS Arsene, grow a pair. How the hell do you manage to squeeze the sideways pass of Elneny into that formation?

Oh God, I’m angry already and the whistle hasn’t even peeped yet 🙂

Yes, the early one 🙂

What got into the team? They are playing from the first whistle, strange

Didn’t – who is the beast you sat on the bench? Sanchez?

goal fest 🙂

This is more like it, Sanchez must’ve been having a very negative effect on our boys. Good to see them come out with some fire in their bellies

They must have really hated sanchez

Kolasinac aka The Beast

ha ha ha
    Cancel the hope for 4 goals 🙂

Oh dear 😬

I called kolasinac gorgeous, 100% my type

If we carry on scoring at this rate for 90 mins, it’ll be 20-0 🙂

60. fatgingergooner says:

Crisis?

Right no celebrating yet, the way we’ve played this season there’s every chance Micky’s hopes of 4 goals could count against us!!

For the record this is my parents first game of the season, they always seem to bring a hatful of goals.

No pressure Mezut, but I think fans wants you to stay

I am out of the loop a bit here. Does anyone know why Welbeck is not on the bench?

Out of interest and not that it matters but how have we lined up?

4-2-1-1-2, or 4-2-1-2-1 or 4-2-3-1?

In other words where are Jack and Iwobi playing?

If iwobi and Laca get on a scoresheet I’ll go to the next home game

66. Mmmmnnnn did I say goals 😁😁😁

Lb – because he is shit?

Wow, superb goal
    Great for Laca
    Was just about to start boo’ing the falling goal rate

69. Welbeck injured in training yesterday

70. fatgingergooner says:

Yay, goals!

Exile

4-2-1-1-2, or 4-2-1-2-1 or 4-2-3-1?

None of the above 🙂

4-1-whatever-1

One more goal and I’d like to see Eddie

Come on Arsenal
    Desperately need a goal before oranges

74. fatgingergooner says:

Only disappointment is our new number 10 Nacho Monreal has gone off injured!

Maybe Wenger just resting him for the Chelsea game.

FGG

He did point to his hammy as he went off, although didn’t look serious

76. fred1266 says:

Walcott first game and apparently he has learnt to pass

They’ve been saying we’ve switched off on the commentary and we concede a goal …… typical Arsenal still …. I wonder how much that has to do with Montreal’s absence?

In fairness Rasp, game just fizzled out. Hardly surprising

Often the way when one side is 4 up at 45, you end up with the odd goal 2nd half

79. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha ha ha. crystals Raddy. and GiE. and Eddie has promised to go to the next game. ha ha ha ha ha. 🙂

80. fred1266 says:

Those commentators are idiots, they keep bringing up the 4 nil draw with Newcastle

Thanks Micky, I get that …. but I’m greedy, I just want us to keep banging in the goals …. I don’t want the ‘we’ve done enough’ ethos 🙂

82. fred1266 says:

Hopefully lacazette break that jinks

83. Red Arnie says:

and AI

84. This Laca’s goal …… lovely work by Mesut

85. Ant says:

Are you at the Man City game Fred?

Just watching the Mesut goal. Damn, he’s so good

88. Ant says:

Great news if you’re into cryptocurrencies

There’s one called EDDIECOIN 🙂

90. fatgingergooner says:

Arsenal fans make me chuckle. Moaning that we haven’t got any money for Sanchez, yet in the same breath moaning that we don’t spend any money. I think getting Mkhitaryan for Sanchez is a great deal considering we didn’t really have a lot of power to negotiate. What could we have bought for £30m these days? Barely gets you Walcott who these same fans were happy to see leave.

If the fans are going to complain it should be about the fact we didn’t give him an ultimatum in the summer. That’s when he should’ve gone and that’s when we could’ve got a decent price.

Glad to see the back of him and look forward to watching Mkhitaryan. Hopefully he produces what he did at Dortmund. Let’s not also forget that at the beginning of this season United fans were saying he was better than Özil. Football changes very quickly these days and so could our fortunes. The signatures of Özil and Jack would help.

91. fred1266 says:

Saw we played 433 today, mkhit wondering what we will be playing to incorporate him into the side

92. VP of Oz says:

FGG, I think we got the best of Sanchez and AW got the timing right. A swap deal for Mikhitaryan that was not available in the summer is good business now, especially if we also bring in Aubameyang.
    I am loving the idea of a LMAO attacking lineup

Here’s a safe bet

Eddie will fancy Mickytaraian

Fred

Mickytarian’s best Dortmund days were under Tuchal and played left side of front three. Cutting in. Just like Sanchez. It was the full back who provided the left wingness and width.

He’s a perfect swap, and if recaptures that Dortmund form, then quite possibly better than Sanchez ever was.

There’s a link, isn’t there?

Well, just to show how damn Arsenal clever I am, I’ll tell you straight, I am not playing 🙂

ant – correct. I thought it was going to be a draw. The game only proves what a bunch of weirdos they are.

Did they play badly before because of Sanchez and well yesterday to celebrate his departure? Insane

the link is mallets and tiny shorts. Mezut is the odd one out.

i think Ozil will sign a new contract. He acted the part yesterday and the fans were going bananas singing his chant. He stays he could achieve legend status, he goes he is a worse mercenary than the worst mercenary yet Sanchez. We should kidnap one of his dogs, that would kill him

100. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

I love the idea of Özil being an Arsenal legend. It has a nice ring to it, and he definitely plays the sort of football that define a legend during Arsene Wengers era.

I will be mortified if he doesn’t sign. We really need him right now, at his best, and the thought of him, Wilshere and our attacking players being on the same length is very exciting.

Anyone still thinking Jack is overrated? Gets said a lot by other fans, but what we are seeing at the moment is different class. I pray he stays fit now until he’s 35! We need 30+ games a season from him.

i never doubted Jack, he always played with his heart on the sleeve. He was born with a football at his feet, a natural talent. As opposed to Feo.

He is a pleasure to watch, most exciting player at the Ems. There seems to be understanding between Jack and Ozil. It looks very promissing.

102. fatgingergooner says:

Cech
    Bellerin Mustafi Koscielny Monreal
    Ramsey Wilshere
    Özil Mkhitaryan
    Lacazette Aubameyang

Cech
    Bellerin Mustafi Koscielny Monreal
    Ramsey Xhaka Wilshere
    Özil Mkhitaryan
    Lacazette

After the window is over I want to see one of these teams. We all know we are crap at defending, so why not just concentrate on attacking!?

103. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie,

Only seen a few bits of yesterday’s game, but Iwobi looked like he played well. He even managed a couple of shots on target that had power 😱 and scored!

Morning all

Good to see the Vines yesterday even if only for a brief chat. They were a bit busy in consultation about the redesigning of the FFB gardens. Chas, Ant, I trust you have factored in an outdoor bar in your design?

Enjoyed the game. Was hoping we would keep the intensity up and for more goals in the second half but at 4-0 and with Chelsea looming this week I guess as Micky said it was sensible to take the fizz out of it and control the game avoiding injuries.

General observations:

Cech is still top class and I feel confident with him between the sticks. I don’t subscribe to him being past it. We have to have a top replacement lined up in the near future (whether from within or otherwise) but in the here and now I feel there are few that could improve on him.

I have championed the back 3 over the back 4 purely because it automatically covers some of our tactical weaknesses and poor discipline with a back 4 that often has FB’s playing as permanent wingers. However, the back 4 would likely be part of our best line up if we can get it right, especially if those toted to come do (see later).

Wilshere and Ozil boss the midfield in control and pace of game, possession and the initiation of attacks. I have watched for a few games now and in Jack I feel we have one of the few players (possibly even worldwide) that is on the same wavelength as Ozil. Ozil must be enjoying having someone who reads the game as well as he does alongside him. It is imperative that we get these 2 signed on and don’t quibble about a bit here and a bit there. These 2 can stand up to any midfield partnership you will find anywhere and from now on I will refer to them as Wilshavi and Ozilesta.

For these 2 to play effectively they need a proper holding midfielder behind them to give them both that freedom to play. That is unfortunately not Xhaka or Elneny, and must be someone who is more an athlete. They need to be quicker to cover the area in front of the back 4 snuffing out danger quickly, and stealing possession back to recycle to the 2 above. If that is AMN then get him in there fairly quickly or else we need to look externally. Yesterday I thought AMN was strong and quick in direct 50-50’s snuffed out danger quickly and stole possession back.

Lacazette is a great finisher when he gets a chance but has more recently looked isolated with too many CD’s on him. We need better support near him earlier in our attacks so that the defenders have more than him to worry about, then he will start to find space more regularly and hit the back of the net like the striker we were hoping for. This extra support may require a tweak of formation to get 2 strikers up top.

Finally, AW will need to show an unusual ruthless streak in defining his strongest first 11 which sees him bench players that he traditionally wants to get in the first team at all costs. If we are to be a top club again then having international players on the bench is the norm and something we will have to do. Ramsey may fit into this argument but also Xhaka. AW doesn’t seem to like benching a player he earmarked as a top player for his first 11 and persists with them almost in denial that they are not quite as god as that and that they will become this if he persists. Xhaka fits that identity for me and I see him as an able player to come off the bench or rotate in but not quite first 11 at the highest level.

My first 11 (if the players we are strongly linked with come) in a 4-1-3-2 system:

Cech
    Bellerin, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal
    Maitland Niles
    Ozil, Wilshere, Mkhitaryan
    Lacazette, Aubemayeng

scored one, how many did he miss? Perhaps I am unfair about Iwobi, but I love hating him. Well, not hating just not loving

Sorry touted to come in not toted. Forgot my other observation which is why does Iwobi always look absolutely knackered at 70 minutes?

107. Red Arnie says:

motning, all. 🙂

Chas, lovely work, but not playing. 🙂 not enough skill

FGG. Most people do not doubt Jack at his best, it is the average or the worst days that are the questions. He is playing brilliantly at the mo. Long may it continue! In any case, good or not so good, he is one of ours, coming through our academy, so he will always have a special place. 🙂

Eddie. No use trying to wriggle out of your tight spot by suggesting we sell the young man. AI has a very good game, and is one of our own – not an expensive loot from another club. We all heard you said you will forever attend home games if both AI and Laca score, and they did yesterday. ha ha ha. 🙂

108. Red Arnie says:

GB. Beat in the middle? Yaya style? hmmm. We might have to create one ourselves in our academy.

Why does Iowbi look tired after 70 mins? good question, dont know. How old is he? 🙂 He will probably have to learn how to reduce headless chicken runs and conserve energy for the full 90?

Haha, got called into dad duties half way through typing and FGG beat me to the line ups.

FGG I will explain my reasoning of my set up as I like to chew the tactical fat with you.

Ozil and Wilshere will often operate in tandem alongside each other but there natural games will see Jack often come a bit deeper to support the holding midfielder and receive the ball from defence but will get forward to the edge of the opposition box as well at times.

Ozil will be more often near the opposition box and will still come deeper but less often. You get the perfect balance from their natural games but still have them working as a partnership. For them to have the freedom for this to happen they need a proper athlete sitting in midfield behind them.

It is now mostly Ramsey or Wilshere for me to get that balance, with Jack getting the nod as first choice. We can have an option of 2 deeper midfielders in tough away games at the expense of 1 of the strikers in a 4-2-3-1 system,and that allows for either Ramsey or Xhaka to come in to the first 11.

Even then I think would still like to see us be brave enough to try out the 4-1-3-2 against decent opposition away from home and see if we can force our game onto them. The best teams do this, and we may have the players by the end of this TW to make it happen.

arnie – so what would you say is Iwobi’s role? Becaue I am struggling to define it. Is he really a striker?

112. Red Arnie says:

Eddie, not the frontmost striker, but in the hole just behind. A rotating position like everyone else in the team.

113. Red Arnie says:

Either bring the ball into the box, or otherwise, if the ball comes in from the flanks, be there as one of the front three to receive it in the box. IMO. but, I am just a fan, dont know much about strategy bolleaux.

114. fatgingergooner says:

Morning GB,

We mustn’t fall into the trap we did a while ago, which is too many number 10’s. It was a real issue for us at times and we became very pass, pass, pass with no end product. However, having said that, we didn’t have Laazaette at that time (or dare I say Aubameyang), and if we end up with those 2 then I say get as many number 10’s as we can fit because the movement and pace will be frightening.

I agree that we need an athlete behind the midfield, and preferably one at CB aswell, to help when we lose the ball. I really do believe AMN can be the guy, but he needs to grow into his body a bit first. He seems to have some discipline about him and I reckon if Wenger gave him a job to do in that position he would relish it. Plus he has lightning pace for when he is caught out.

I’d really like to see a big, athletic CB brought to the club. Maybe it’s this new Greek lad (sometimes gems come from nowhere), but I like De Vrij at Lazio who is running out of contract.

I actually preferred Iwobi when I saw him pre-season play a bit deeper in more a box to box role where he actually looked very good transitioning the move from defence to attack more like Jack and Rambo. He played better in that role in pre-season than in the more advanced roles we have witnessed recently.

He should have really been more a wing forward, which is where he is still operating, but his finishing seems a bit powder puff recently and looks to lack that cutting edge to really open up a team and expose them, so unless that improves I will start to see him less as a more advanced player and more as a potential option in the box to box role.

Cheers FGG. Agreed about the athletic CB and preferably over 6′. We have enough around that height.

Agree about the too many number 10’s. It is why I have felt that Lacazette has looked a tad isolated because they are arriving too late to help him. Stick another mobile striker alongside him and drop to 3 number 10 types behind those 2 with that covering athletic holding midfielder behind them.

Both Auba and Lac started out as wing type forwards (ala Henry) so should form a very good forward partnership where they both can support each other but also move off each other creating headaches for oppo defenders, rather than having a more traditional static CF. We could be on the cusp of something very new and exciting.

To some it may sound like I am clutching at straws if I ask what are we actually really losing with Sanchez? If we get the 2 we are looking at I feel we are significantly stronger in attack not weaker.

Alexis also wanted to come deep too often leaving Laca a tad isolated and contribute to the sideways passing. We all know, (which Utd fans may not), that he often hit stray passes in the deeper position. Ozil and Wilshere are far better in these positions for retention of possession.

What we have been reliant on is his key goals, but this has often been in games where the team is poorly functioning overall so it made his contribution and worth to the team look so much more important. Are we really not replacing all that in spades if we get Auba and Miki and manage to get them with Laca, Wilshere and Ozil all in the same 1st 11? I think we increase our attacking potency to a new level and with a better all round balance in the team in all senses to boot.

Off for a while. Will read back and catch up later.

118. fred1266 says:

VP not hopefully of us getting PEA

119. fatgingergooner says:

GB,

It’s difficult to judge how good Sanchez, Laca and Özil would have been as they’ve been injured a bit between them, but it was looking promising. However, when we did see them at their best it was mainly against the bigger teams at home, and I’m not sure that is a true reflection of the opposition we face as most of the time we play against packed defences.

I agree with you that if we end up with Lac and Aub then they will have to provide the width at times, much like Henry did for us, and that should allow our attacking midfielders (espescially Ramsey if he plays) to get beyond them and score.

120. fred1266 says:

Kidnapping a dog have you no heart

fred – correct, I don’t. Years of practice darling.

Sorry FGG, been out a while. I agree that the mobility of Auba and Laca will give us width at times but I think it can be shared between these 2 Miki, Ozil and the FB’s so it makes it less predictable who is going to pop up wide and who is going to attack centrally and when.

With 2 strikers who have traditionally high stats in scoring we should be less reliant on a specialist goal scoring midfielder. A trio of Miki, Wilshere and Ozil should provide a healthy goal scoring contribution anyway over and above the 2 strikers.

I always thought Ramsey would become our Frank Lampard as a goal-scoring midfielder but I don’t really see him in that specialist role anymore. For me he has become more a box to box all action midfielder who chips in with some goals rather than a player we alter the set-up for to get him in goal-scoring positions more often. I don’t feel Ramsey’s goal scoring prowess, if it is that, should be a focus of our set-up

If we change to that athletic holding midfielder you and I both seem to want then right now I see Ramsey as competing with Jack, Xhaka, and Elneny for the same position, and Rambo comes 2nd in that list after Jack for me right now. We are top heavy with those types of players and I think we need to lose one of them.

Even if you switch to 1 striker for a particular game and free up a midfield role for 1 of the other 3 then we are still at least 1 top heavy in that position. These players are the main achilles heel area for Arsene I feel. He really likes this type of player and tries to get too many of them in the squad and also starting line up in many games. If Arsene gets it right we could be shortly looking at this team in an entirely different perspective. If he makes (what I consider) to be the same mistake of over cramming them into the side then I fear it will not make such a difference who we have brought in.

123. VP of Oz says:

Fabrizio Romano is an Italian journalist who works for, among others, Sky Sport, and specialises in football transfers

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano
    #Aubameyang has now total agreement with Arsenal for his contract until 2021. Salary: €10M/season.
    Arsenal have started official talks with Borussia Dortmund to reach an agreement… but BVB are going to ask €60M to sell Auba. Let’s see 🔴 #transfers #AFC #BVB #Arsenal
    3:16 PM – Jan 21, 2018
    82 82 Replies 2,556 2,556 Retweets 3,060 3,060 likes

Serious question.

Who noticed the two famous comedians in the 3rd row center of the crowd picture?

125. fatgingergooner says:

GB,

I agree that I do feel optimistic about our future but we must get Özil and Wilshere signed first, and Ramsey next year. After that it comes back to buying well, something we haven’t done recently.

Just noticed Wenger saying that Sanchez only moved for money. Sounds like we had zero chance of keeping him as he wanted a big contract, one that even City wouldn’t pay.

Wenger was also talking about our line up at the weekend and he listed the attacking players who were in the line up. Xhaka was mentioned in that list, which tells you exactly what Wenger thinks of the ‘holding midfield’ position. He is more interested in how good players are at going forward than he is of how they defend. With that in mind I wonder if we’ll see a Ramsey/Wilshere midfield pair at some point in the future.

126. fred1266 says:

He a bit slow though

127. Red Arnie says:

I see plenty of comedians in the pic, GN5. But you seem to have very good eyesight. 🙂

Laurel and Hardy GN5
    Good spot

And which time zone do you occupy Arnie or were you simply up late doing culture shit

Hate that wall, the sheeps could just walk through the hole

I did look at the guys in the bowler hats in close up and didn’t think it looked much like L & H.

The caption on the photo is this “Football Crowd : Fans with flat caps watching the Birmingham City v Burnley game 1922/ 1923 Season Credit : Colorsport” and is available for sale. There’s no mention of it including anyone famous. How weird if it is them!!!

Or just walk round it if they didn’t fancy the tricky jump through the hole. 🙂

I wonder if anyone got all five of yesterday morning’s ex players?

I’d imagine young Terence would be the only one who stood a chance with his encyclopaedic knowledge of players from the 70s and 80s.

Chas

I zoomed in and noticed a circular watermark-like line around the left hand side of them and thought, funnnnny, has someone been photoshopping

On the other hand, could be a fatty and a thinny dressing up as L&H

I got one of yesterdays players if anyone needs help

That’s one more than I thought you’d get.

I presume the watermark is to stop people printing off the photo themselves i.e. added by Colorsport.

INCOMING!

Mariner

Was a regular North Banker then

I’ll have to come up with a mini post in a bit as scrolling through all of the garbage is getting a bit tiresome.

Mariner is incorrect.
    You were also taking copious amounts of perception-changing narcots.

Good boy, chas.

Any photos of Italy?

None worth sharing unless you wish to see pics of water damage from a leaking roof.

Looking at the noses, could Mariner be Mkitayran’s father?

🙂
    Paul Mariner now looks like Paul Mariner’s dad.
    I suppose that comes to all of us.

NEW POST

Simply to turn a page. 🙂