Where’s the transfer fizz and froth?

Sources say, linked to, Gazidis on flight to, sister-in-law confirms…… yip, transfer season, but hey it’s January 12 and I hear so little noise. What’s up?

Well, I like to think it’s crazy busy out there, and that my recent internetless period has merely kept me out of the loop, but peering around I’m not sure that is the case. A Greek defender has arrived, and Francis Coquelin has cleared off, and of course we’re left with the inevitable whispers about Mesut and Sanchez. The latter in particular due to the way the last minutes of the summer merrygoround ended.

To be honest, I have no idea what parameters we’re operating within regarding players being cup tied (Europa/CL?), movement domestically/abroad and so on.

Arsenally speaking, things have changed since the last window. We’ve witnessed the reappearance of Jack and the epic progress of Maitland Niles. We all know every single position could be improved upon, but equally, we all realise we’re not Real Madrid so what do we expect.

I think, once again, much will hinge on the Sanchez situation and one would assume Arsene sees the departure of Coquelin as leaving us thin in the defensive midfield position, or has he already pencilled someone in? Maitland Niles?

My personal thoughts on the window’s outcome? Nothing. Not sure why, but I have this gut feeling things won’t pan out for Sanchez the way he wants.

This is an incredibly dull window round up. I hope some of you can add some fizz and froth.

49 Responses to Where’s the transfer fizz and froth?

Cheers, Micky.
    If there’s no fizz, I’ll be frothing.

Sanchez is desperate to go and live in Alderley Edge with his dogs. Pep treated him so well the first time he played under him, why wouldn’t he?
    Take the money and run, I say.
    Mind you, it is maybe dependent on Worr Malcolm coming in from Bordeaux like the finest of wines.

Then again, I quite like the idea of him going to work under Mourinho, because he could be a spectacular failure. Muckytarian in exchange would soften the blow. Twitter wants Martial for Sanchez but the chances of that are zippadee doodaa.

That’s all I’ve got, soz.

Venga said……

on whether Alexis is replaceable…
    Replaceable in the way that we find exactly the same player, certainly not, but there’s always a way to find a different balance. Alexis is an exceptional football player, he’s a world-class player and if that happens we have to find a different balance in the team.

on whether he didn’t sell Alexis in the summer because they had no replacement…

on if a replacement is not brought in, Alexis will not go…
    You sum it up very well.

on whether he wants a quick resolution…
    Yes of course.

Nice start Chas

Presumably Sanchez is after loot, playing time and trophies

If we wanted to, we could offer him two of those, and I think there are very few options that would guarantee him all three

In other words, do City really want him, will they pay him what he wants?

Maybe Pep is just taking the piss

5. chas mobile says:

Rumour is that they’ve already agreed to pay him 250k a week

Bored with the Sanchez/Ozil saga.

Happy Le Coq has left.

If we sell both Theo and Alexis then we are certain to sign someone upfront.

Micky from MU is more an Ozil player than a Sanchez, we need someone who can link with Laca and score 30+ goals between them.

My prediction was that we would sign no-one in the window, I am already wrong as we signed a CB with a very long name.

Terry: Have we ever had a Greek chap succeed at AFC or anywhere in the PL?

7. fatgingergooner says:

Allardyce has confirmed interest in Theo. This week just gets better! Now we just need to sell Elneny and buy a CM who is better than Elneny!

Looking at the squad for next year, it really is vital than Özil signs. Sanchez is unpredictable and off the cuff and makes it difficult for team mates to know and execute an attacking game plan. Hes a fabulous player but it makes it difficult for us to have a style. Özil on the other hand has shown enough this season to suggest we should build our attack around him and get players who compliment him and let him create our style of play.

If Özil leaves then we are starting from scratch in a lot of ways. Last season we had Sanchez, Özil, Ox and Walcott as attacking midfielders. All those could be gone by the summer and they would all need replacing. With just £60m coming in from their transfers that would be a very difficult task and cost a lot of money. A scary prospect.

8. fred1266 says:

Can someone tell me why I don’t receive emails when a comment is made

No Fred

Having said that, I can’t imagine anything worse than being bleeped every time a comment appears here, so my advice: keep on doing what ever it is you aren’t doing 🙂

FGG

Pretty sure it was you who commented on Sanchez spending too much deep a while ago.

I agree, and because he tries to do everyone else’s job, his scoring rate has dropped, and quite frankly, he gets in the way while not providing the counter attacking outlet he should be doing.

I’d love to keep him, but I’d rather he stayed where he can do the most damage

11. chas mobile says:

Freddie baby
    Is the email address with which you log in to wordpress the same as the one you use in the Email address box when you comment because the latter looks a bit dodgy.
    If the latter is correct, then by ticking the check box, you should get emails.

I’d be amazed if TheinvisibleTrinidadian@hotmail.com was a valid email address! 😨

12. RC78 says:

– Coquelin is gone and the next one is pbbly Walcott although AW wants to keep him. However, if he brings in Mahrez to replace Walcott, everyone will say that it was a good move and if brings in Pavon, he will get the benefit of the doubt BUT if he sells Sanchez and gets Pavon or Mahrez, it is not the same…So I think AW will allow Walcott to leave if he gets a good replacement rather than let Sanchez leave without getting a reliable alternative….

– Also rumor has it that AW has enquired again about Seri from Nice 🙂

13. fred1266 says:

Yea chas it the same, everything was fine until I left England

14. RC78 says:

FGG – I think the most likely to stay is Ozil except if Ancelotti comes

I think for Ox, Sanchez, Walcott – we can get:

– Mahrez, Vardy and Pavon; or
    – Mahrez, Immobile and Fekir

Three players that can take out opponents on a dribble or a pass and are quite good at scoring. Our team play would me more direct too…

Cech – Bellerin, Mustafi, Kos, Koli – Wilshere, Xhaka – Ramsey – Mahrez, Fekir – Vardy

We talk about finding a player who can crack a packed defence yet have one of the best in world football. I don’t care about Sanchez but Ozil would be a huge loss.

16. fatgingergooner says:

Micky,

Don’t get me wrong, if he signed tomorrow I’d be delighted, but I do think he has an adverse effect on our team and the way we play at times. If you look at last season, he scored 30 goals in all comps whereas only 3 others got above 10. That’s ok when he’s on fire, but when he’s not it’s a problem. His general play is very erratic and I would find him hard to play with in that you’re never quite sure what he’s going to do or when he’s going to release the ball. That’s not easy for CF’s to play with as you can easily run offside or be on your heels. On the other hand he can create things out of nothing and his ability to escape tight areas is second to none. I just wonder if right now this teams needs players who will stay in position a little more and maybe stretch the field a bit to allow Özil to really flourish. Sanchez is so often stood on other people’s toes and doing work he doesn’t need to which makes him easy to defend.

I find the United link very surprising as I can’t imagine Mourinho and Sanchez getting on. Sanchez is all over the pitch and doesn’t stay in position. Surely Mourinho would hate that.

If Sanchez goes then I want to see goalscorers brought in. I see Mahrez more of an Özil replacement than a Sanchez one. Aubameyang would be nice but can’t see it. I like a good South American but I know nothing of Malcom or Pavon. Seri was great last year but not sure he’s done as well this season. Draxler would be an option for me. It seems destined that he ends up at Arsenal and I could see him being top class linking up with Mesut. It’s going to be a busy window and half for Arsene I think.

Could Me-rinho be playing one of his silly games. Putting in a bid just to annoy Pep?

Though MU could certainly use another striker after all they only have Ibra, Lukaku, Rashford, Lingard and Martial

FGG. We need someone for both the right and left flanks (if Theo leaves). Draxler could play left but he is hardly a goal machine. So could Lemar.

We need RC78 to tell us who works on the right (Mahrez?)

Thanks for the post Micky and apologies for my late arrival.

My take on out TW dealings is that, as always, we are working within our own self imposed tight budget. AW has said that M-N is Coquelin’s replacement so kerching 12mil in the Bank there. We will only buy a striker if we sell Theo and Sanchez I’m guessing …. but we’ve always got the ‘like a new player’ line for those returning from injury, so Giroud could be Alexis’ replacement 🙄

My take on Sanchez proceedings are that the club are trying harder to get his sale over line than he is himself.

It is almost a waste of time listening to what AW has to say around these times as he has no choice but to tow the party line.

I would be happy for Theo to stay = If we can’t flog him I won’t look like a fool.

We would only have sold Sanchez in the summer if we were able to bring in a replacement = Man city changed their minds.

Thanks for the read Micky.

Ooh and just out of interest what does it mean that we are working on a tight self imposed budget?

This implies that Arsenal PLC has more money to spend than it is actually doing. Am I reading this correctly?

And lastly here is some depressing news. Someone I know just got made chairman of Chelsea, ahhhh.

With those kind of qualifications, do you know how close I came to sitting in the Diamond Suite at THOF?

Free tickets to Chelsea — whoppy dee.

We are working on a tight self imposed budget means exactly what it says …. surely I don’t have to explain further?

Two football matters

FGG
    Agree with all that. I think we could be a much better side with a positionally more disciplined Sanchez, but not impossible to replace the 2017-18 version

Fixtures
    I very rarely watch other matches than Arsenal, but Pool City looks irresistible

25. fatgingergooner says:

Wenger has been saying that Sanchez will not sign, Wilshere will, and that there’s still a chance with Özil. He also mentioned how more players are choosing to run down their contracts in order to get bigger wages if/when they move (Welbeck, Ramsey, Walcott will be in same situation soon).

Now there’s probably some truth in that, but at the same time I can’t help but think that if we were competing in the major trophies every year that this wouldn’t have happened. Are City players going to be thinking about running down their contracts? I doubt it.

I think even City players are capable of disgraceful and shameless chasing money. City players less so because they are probably paid more than they would anywhere else. But they would bend backwards to get to the holy grail destination – Barcelona.

FGG

Simple solution. Cancel contracts. Give them a week max. Make the bastards earn their corn 🙂

Eddie, I doubt that. Barca are unlikely to pay the wages of MC, only PSG can compete. PLayers go to Barca because it is – at present – the pinnacle of a footballing career.

My guess is that in a decade players will think of MC in the same manner

Micky. Players (& agents) market

Screw them Erik 🙂

Tell the players to fire their agents and trouser the fee

Oh, and Eddie, Real Madrid is far bigger and better than Barca

micky – says who?

32. Zee says:

Good Morning all AA’ers.

There has to be something seriously wrong here Micky — your Post has not garnered a single moany response, just some normal adult chat — what’s going on?

Like a honey bee ( or a big bluebottle – yer takes yer pick) 🙂 I buzz from site to site and am deeply disappointed/appalled (again yer takes yer pick) at the non-stop whingeing crapulation that pretends it is adult, balanced discussion regarding anything that involves AW and/or Arsenal (you know the drill by now) 🙂

Thankfully AA still retains that sense of meaningful, intelligent discourse with good sense and respect for other bloggers.

A longwinded way (well what do you expect from yours truly) to say well done AA and all who blog here!

Me? I am cheesed off with all the usual nonsense, we are/we are not; he is going/oh, no, he’s not; and despite being big enough and ugly enough to know better I find my hopes lifted, and then sent crashing down with each stupid rumour — and yet I know that what will happen – will happen and it’s just a matter of time.

Well done again lads and ladette. 😀

HNY Zee

The issue with the post was that it said absolutely nothing 🙂

Eddie

Most Champions League titles/European Cups

Real Madrid – 11
    AC Milan – 7
    Bayern Munich – 5
    Barcelona – 5
    Liverpool – 5
    Ajax – 4
    Internazionale – 3
    Manchester United – 3
    Juventus – 2
    Benfica – 2
    Nottingham Forest – 2
    Porto – 2

I know there is more to it than just number of trophies, but aren’t Madrid better followed globally than Barca?

Genuine question. I just assumed so

If I understood what was meant by a self imposed tight budget I wouldn’t have asked politely what it meant?

It can obviously mean different things to different people.

So in view that this is a blog in which people are supposed to interact why not just put a bit more flesh on the statement?

37. fatgingergooner says:

Have we got a post for today? I’d be interested to find out where people think we are as a club at the moment. Are we actually still in a downward spiral as the media like to make us believe? Or did things improve in the last couple of years with FA Cup wins and the higher league finishes? Are we set for another downward turn now that we are out of the CL and seem to be losing our best players? Or is it just a difficult situation that we need to ride out in order to come back stronger?

Personally, I think that this contract situation and us dropping out of the CL will turn out to be a blessing. It’s made people within the club think about their futures, and it’s made the club realise that systems and procedures weren’t up to scratch. Since the end of the season we’ve had a total change of backroom staff, with improvements made to fitness, contracts, and transfers. We’ve also had quite a clear out of players with many of them being replaced by younger, more exciting prospects. Szscesny (Martinez), Gibbs (Kolasinac), Gabriel (Holding), Mertersacker (Mavropanos), Debuchy, Coquelin (AMN), Walcott (Lacazette), and Ox (Nelson) will all have been shipped out in the space of 12 months. There’s no doubt that the loss of Sanchez will be a big blow, and if Özil goes it would be a tragedy, but one thing I feel we’ve struggled with in recent times is to get a balance between hungry youngsters who are looking to improve, and the right type of senior professionals who can show them the way and keep them from becoming complacent. If this new look transfer team are as good as we hope and sign the right type of players to guide the youngsters, then this could be the start of a very successful period for the club. Mustafi is already showing he can be the leader we’ve been missing (we’ve barely had the club captain on the pitch for the last 6 years), and Cech instills confidence and talks sense to those around him. Wilshere has also come back with a renewed vigour this season, and even Özil has looked less sulky and more like a senior player (I really hope he signs!). With Sanchez gone, and the dressing room united, I really believe we can push forward as a team and as a club, but these transfer windows will be key to our future success/failure.

LB

Just having a guess here, but I reckon it may be based on the alleged cash in bank theory. I say alleged and theory simply because I have never looked at AFC accounts, wouldn’t believe what I saw anyway, in fact, never believe what I read about anything unless it’s a rumour we’re about to sigh Neymar or similar 🙂

FGG

Stick WHERE ARE AFC AS A CLUB RIGHT NOW, and call it a post

40. fatgingergooner says:

According to WhoScored.com Mustafi is the second best defender in the PL this year based on their performance ratings. Only Young has a higher score. He’s had a couple of sloppy games but overall he’s been excellent this year. I just hope Wenger gives some thought to who is club captain next year. I want a leader who actually appears on the pitch and talks to the players during games. I thought Koscielny was a shoe-in to take over, but he’s starting to struggle to play twice in a week and the last thing we need is another captain on the sidelines. I’d be very tempted to give it to Mustafi.

FGG I or someone else will have a go at writing the 9.24 suggestion.

In the meanwhile

There is a New Post

42. Zee says:

Hi LB,

Not that I want to stick my beak in where it is not wanted (as if I would) 🙂 – possibly Rasper just used a phrase that seemed self evident to him, and if the sentence was analysed then;

“we are working within our own self imposed tight budget.” would be pretty sanguine if ‘tight’ was omitted;

“we are working within our own self imposed budget.” is straightforward and all companies should do that, so I suspect you are querying the use of the word ‘tight’ and seeking clarification.

‘Tight”, in the above context, could mean; tight financial control, and within Arsenal’s current self funding financial model that makes sense.

Sadly the football world has gone into a mad financial spiral that is frankly obscene, with individual player transfer fees of £200m no longer shocking, and despite FFP.

If Arsenal changed their financial model, they too could fund player purchases at a much higher level than they currently do, as they are among the top 10 wealthiest clubs in the world — but they will not do so, which explains the expression ‘self imposed’

Warning: Rasper might say my understanding is bollix! And so might you! 😀

43. Red Arnie says:

Hi Micky, fantastic post, thank you. 🙂 Great comments all, but too much agreement. Except Fred of course. 🙂

TW (particularly the January one) reminds of the glug-glug machine. Greatest nuclear submarine the world has ever seen. Place it in the water, it starts up, creates a few ripples, turns over for a great show and sucks in water through all its holes. And then, glug-glug-glug-glug and all ripples are gone. Amen. 🙂

aha, DidIt wrote the post, sorry, I didn’t realise. Given all the time you had without the blue light, you probably penned a few crackers. Looking forward to reading those.

Not sure what you mean by boring – Fred, Lemar, Malcolm and Martial are coming to the Ems next week. Sanchez, ozil and Feo all going north, happy dayz. At least we don’t know what to expect. With current squad we have learnt not to expect too much too often. Once in a blue moon sheer brilliance, the rest of the time mid table performance. Bring on the new blood I say

President Emmanuel Macron says the French baguette should be listed as a Unesco cultural treasure

Eddie says karp should be listed too

Troy Deeney turns the game around again, he is a terrific influence on Watford. They were 2 goals down and very nearly won the gam ein the end. We need a leader like Deeney. Ok, minus his illustrious past