Eagles downed

A very entertaining game last night and if I had to sum it up in one sentence I would say it as a determined performance with some worring lapses of concentration.

Slim sums it up humourously: “We are like a team of narcaleptics! We just doze off unexpectedly then suddenly we wake up and are back at it.”

Cech: did you know he keeps whippets?

Chambers: no coincidence that Southampton have 75mil burning a hole in their bank accounts and out of the blue Chambers gets a first team start. 4

Mustafi: I had do a double take when he scored our first, the precision of the ball going from foot to goal made me think that it must have been Ozil at the same time I thought: wow good goal with your right foot Mesut – but no, it was no other than Skhodran M. Top goal, as for the defending, mah. 7

Koscielny: was he responsible for Palace’s second? Maybe. We won so a little generosity. 6

Bellerin: Hector should have had a couple of goals and if he had we would not have to focus on the fact that Zaha bossed him and Chambers down the flank. 5

Kolasinac: I am guessing that he didn’t much like riding the pine and as such when he got his chance to start again he was not going to miss it; he was far more determined last night and the fact that Palace had little joy down his flank is testament to that. 7

The Wilshere pass although superb was expected, the thing that has been surprising me is why he hasn’t been able to do that more often for Lacazette? He is improving with every game. 7

Xhaka: now I am usually quite tough on our Julie but I thought he had one of his best games for the club to date. Very determined, very confident, I am guessing that his goal against Liverpool has lifted his confidence and importantly no schoolboy errors. If it weren’t for a resurgent Sanchez he would have got my man of the match. 8

Ozil: always my favourite so I have to tone these down a bit, quiet start but got into it as the game progressed, so close to another wonder goal from the Sanchez pass. 7

Lacazette: the ball seems as though it just won’t fall for him to be able to slam it home, still he has become an important piece of the attacking jigsaw and there seems little doubt the goals will flow again. 7

Sanchez: MOTM, got his mojo back nothing to do with the transfer window opening again today of course just a case of Alexis’ doing his thing and making a few more simple passes to team mates, funny how that can be so effective. Two great goals. 9

written by LB

93 Responses to Eagles downed

LB. Great stuff.

Given the influence of Zaha it was strange that Bellerin didn’t give Chambers, who was playing his first PL game for almost a year, more cover.

Sanchez did a fine job of covering on the left, but on the right we were always fragile.

Will Holding start at WBA?

2. kfdickie says:

The definition of narcoleptic is brilliant related to our team. Sometimes you must wonder what is going through their minds when they are out on the pitch. It can’t be tactics. The defence were very voyeuristic for their two goals. It was awful defending.The trouble is by the end of January we will still have the same defence but no Sanchez. Also I’d be interested to know if it was just me that thought that when he scored he ran to our supporters and nearly punched the badge, but just swerved it a bit. I also think Bellerin should have a rest and let Debuchy come in and defend.

3. fred1266 says:

for a side who supposed to be on the the best passing side in football we are just horrible at it for the second goal Bellerin simple had to control the ball and pass to a team but he decides heading the ball

i observe other doing the same when no one around them they just booting it like a second division side instead of passing the ball calmly out of defense

Thanks for the comment KF, you seem reasonably sure that we will lose Sanchez in this window, what I am curious to know is where you think he is likely to go or possibly equally important – who is likely to actually want him?

Here is the list, I don’t think I have missed anyone out. The Italians have been excluded on purpose because they cannot offer a better deal than Arsenal can, and this is important, Arsenal are still in the race for Sanchez so the choice below is limited to those who can possibly pay him more.

Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Man City
    Man United
    Chelsea
    PSG
    Bayen Munich

I was interested to read of AW’s comments about each player being his own tactician and required to decide upon his own tactics. I assume he was talking about our defensive lapses and the positioning of our MF’s.

Surely they spend all week practicing how to stop a counter-attack?

Thinking of which, well played Chambers for taking a yellow card for the team

Much needed in my case as I put in a pathetic performance last night putting mates first.

Sanchez

I agree with LB’s line of thinking. However, looking at his list, I’m not sure any of Europe’s elite would want him ie Barca, Madrid, Bayern or PSG.

As for English sides, that’s polititical, and I think only a swap deal of some sort would make it happen, and that I’m ruling out, sadly because I don’t think the likes of Hazard would want to come to us.

LB ruled out Italy and I get his reasoning, but my two favourite destinations include Italy.

One, AC Milan, the other Athletico Madrid.

Ok, having stated my possible destinations, I do think he’ll be with us for the rest of the season, and if in either Jan or the summer, we buy a superdooper midfielder and defender, while ending top four, I reckon he might stay.

Erik

Oh Lordy, did AW really say all players were their own tacticians?

Dear God 🙄

Micky

Are your “two favourite desinations” based on football or gastronomy?

ha ha ha

I always deploy the MOST important criteria in any decision

Mind you, coming from Mr Gastro Arsenal 2017 himself 🙂

Actually LB, I’ve missed your restaurant visitation comments pre games

I always like your menu choices and especially the way you so confidently uncork the Rioja with absolutely anything. I genuinely like that attitude.

Cheers, LB.
    Great to see some ratings after a victory that include 4s, 5s and 6s. 🙂

The blogosphere view on the Laca substitution seems to vary between, great sub considering Giroud (plan B) is currently sidelined, to, why does Laca always get subbed at the same point in every game?
    Hopefully his contributions to goals 1 and 2 will boost his confidence even if he’s not getting the chances he needs in front of goal.

I looked up the ‘players are their own tacticians’ story and all I could find is a story from Stewart Robson that Gilberto Silva once told him that Wenger let the players decide their own tactics.

Given that Gilberto last played for the club in 2008 and Stewart Robson is a complete and utter onanist, i’d tend to dismiss the story as bullshit, unless there is a current story where Wenger has said precisely that.

Is there?

Ergo Erik lies 🙂

Hey Chas

New theory brewing.

You reckon he did say that, but it applied to the pre-2008 era. Well, those were the good years 🙂

Ah, but we had some natural footballers pre-2008 who’d grown up knowing how to do the job they’d been designed for.
    Toure being an exception, of course, being a bit of a loose cannon, but his lack of tactical nous was made up for by sheer enthusiasm.

There was none of this shoehorning we have these days with midfielders turned into centre backs and wingers asked to play striker. 🙂

Lauren – midfielder converted into full back
    Toure – midfielder converted into shit full back, then decent centre back
    Henry – winger turned into prolific striker, though some would say he always played on the wing or that he just played wherever he liked Mesut-style
    Cole – winger converted to full back
    Ljungberg – Swedish model converted to right side midfield 4
    Pires – converted from average winger to a god from Mount Olympus
    Bergkamp – striker to the world’s best number 10

Are you agreeing with me, disagreeing or just talking? 🙂

It’s like trying to decipher a GB rantathon

19. Aaron says:

Eagles almost rose.
    LB hit the nail on the head.
    Man that 1st goal had me out of my seat screamin’ and the telly. I know ludicrous, but what can I say.
    Mustafi only needed to to poke that slow roller out, or Sead could have followed his man, and that would have been that. But, no that is not the current Arsenal way.
    The comical D on the corner was just as silly. Basic youth futbol, near post far post, especially with back 4 combo number 98.
    To finalize the hilarity, on comes Francis to the rescue, as he will shore up the D, and Arsenal will see the game out..
    So, the Eagles score 2 goals on 2 shots, versus Arsenal, who should have been scoring 4, typical.
    But, the Arsenal got over the line, barely.
    Arsene is making the right call on Lacazette, 1st time of winter ball, and no Giroud to back him up.
    Arsenal have some tough games coming up, including 3 against the chavs…
    Simple really- keep winning and who cares what the opposition does.

20. chas mobile says:

Just talking

21. chas mobile says:

GB rantathon 😀

22. chas mobile says:

Aaron
    Letting Townsend score that pathetic goal was criminal.
    A header from a corner is always in the lap of the gods as far as I’m concerned. Land it on some tall bastard’s head and you’ve scored.
    At least we had a couple of challenges on Tomkin’s appalling facial hair header. Which is more than you can say for some of our corner defending in the past.

cech keeps whippets 🙂
    brilliant staff LB. I am glad you approve of jack’s efforts, the lad is really trying. He almost got himself injured again, but otherwise he put on a very mature performance.

Why are you calling Granit our Julie?

Bellerin 5? Never.

“Pires – converted from average winger to a god from Mount Olympus.”

Superb

The Sound of Music.

Which turned into the subtle but brilliant “Julie”

Thanks LB, we got the 3 points and that’s all that should matter I guess …. but the defensive lapses were as worrying as ever. I don’t ever want to see Chambers and Bellerin together on the flank … Bellerin seemed to think he didn’t have to worry about defending and I’m afraid I’ve reached the conclusion that Chambers is just not good enough.

Holding is a much better prospect than Chambers, I hope we see him back soon.

The club should get Jack around the table and get him to sign a new contract as soon as. Wenger’s interpretation of contract talks and Jack’s seemed to differ somewhat.

Rasp

If my memory serves me, and that’s highly unlikely, I believe the LB theory was that Chambers was shoved into the spotlight to attract the Southampton defensive millions.

Sounds like it could have backfired 😉

Blimey, just seen LB’s comment was in today’s post. Cripes, my mind has gone!

The tactics quote was on BBC website earlier today but I can’t find it anymore. Must be the mead.

Micky. It was in an LB comment which I made into today’s post

31. Aaron says:

Jack is one assured injury away from “injured reserve” status along a long line of past injury ridden players. (although super talented when fit to play afew games every other year)

Hi Micky, yes, Chambers didn’t excel …. but does he ever? Aaron, I’d definitely take the risk on Jack. He’s potentially a top creative midfielder and Arsenal to the core

Erik
    We’re all falling apart. I guess it was inevitable.

Aaron
    Good point. When things are going well with a Jack Diaby, one quickly forgets their history.

Ok, having spent the entire day working at the keyboard while listening to my new Nick Cave album through me headphones, I’m now going outside to contemplate ending it all.

He is a brilliant miserable bastard 🙂

Micky. Hope we see you tomorrow 😀

Aaaaand…..back in

Boring looking fixtures around today

like a bad penny 🙂

Morning Eddie

Nearly New Year’s resolutions/prediction time

I’ll be quite glad to see the back of ’17, but then, I have very high hopes for ’18

fucking worse year of my life and I had some bad ones under the belt.

40. Zee says:

Good Morning, All.

A super players’ ratings/assessment, LB. 😀

I agree with the thrust of all the ratings marks, but if I could choose one to burnish, it would be for `l’il Ol’ Jack.

I hasten to say that you have already remarked on Jack’s improvement lately, and that’s how I saw it too, the way his shaved noggin always seemed to be in the thick of all the hard tackles on the Palace players, and the way he covered so much ground during the 90+ minutes of the game, as well as the blossoming of the skill we all know is there in his small frame was wondrous to behold.

And it is clear that he cares for Arsenal. Get the contract sorted Arsene, and stop assing about as all the best players are abandoning ship.

My personal MoTM.

I think Wenger is looking forward to ending this year too, not the best one in his professional career.

The worst part of it is the fact that each season I used to hope that the next one will be EVEN better. But I have lost that optimism now, each season seems to be worse than the previous one 😦

Oh no Eddie, sorry I wasn’t clear, my optimism for next year was reserved for me personally and the world in general.

Not Arsenal. The Gunners will continue to not score nearly enough for my liking 🙂

And bonjour Zee

44. kfdickie says:

Just had my daily read of the blog and as usual someone has said what I thought I might add! But in answer to LB question, who would take Sanchez, and again its been answered very well, I agree most teams would. Its not really the point that who wants him, what upsets me is that he doesn’t want to stay.

Also, AW doesn’t help with his leadership, he is admitting he doesn’t know whats going on. I’m sure that doesn’t help anyone. Who is on charge? I think maybe AW is suggesting its not him to blame for the mess. Contract wise I mean.

kfd

I’m still not convinced Europe’s elite would want Sanchez, he simply gives the ball away too much.

I guess one unanswered question would be, does he want more loot or more trophies, and if the latter, what flavour as I don’t see him in a CL winning XI

46. kfdickie says:

Good question, I believe he thinks he’s too good for us though. As you say he probably hasn’t done himself any favours in the last four months. He doesn’t trust many people with the ball, and he’s becoming increasingly frustrating to watch, and to play with. If I remember he wasn’t always a starter with Barca, so maybe he’ll settle for a bench place and a ten second hold of a trophy. He doesn’t need any more love in his life, he has two dogs.

Ah, I’m afraid I disagree. One thing I am sure of is that Sanchez loves to play, so I cannot see him playing second fiddle anywhere.

Jeez, what a shocking set of fixtures.
    No wonder our poxy game away at West Brom made the TV.

If I were Sanchez, I would leave. Not for money and not for trophies but for life experience.

He has not learned English and I guess leads quite a sheltered life.

Assuming that Alexis has a choice in the matter ,I expect him to continue his career in a Spanish speaking country

Twitter says we’re playing in red and white shirts tomorrow.
    Not sure if I believe the shorts!

Any football is better than none on this freezing cold, wet, grey day.

Apparently at Barca Sanchez lived a solitary life as well.
    The Spanish players struggled to understand his South American version.
    I can see why he likes dogs so much as his brain is wired in a very similar way.

😀 😀

Are you saying our diminutive Chilean is intellectually challenged?

I’d imagine the Sanchez brain doesn’t have as much variety.

56. kfdickie says:

Chas; Dogs, do you mean go and get the ball and don’t let go.

Mickey, I agree he likes to play football, I’d forgotten about that detail. But it doesn’t get mentioned much, its either money or trophies. I suppose he could go to Spurs and get neither.

Re the dog brain graphic

Shouldn’t the licking self sector be adjacent to the balls zone?

Mmmm, add in Sanchez is thick. The plot thickens

Sanchez loves playing and he does that well. World class? I am not sure, something is missing there, maybe the brain.
    He never grew on me really, that rolling up of the left trouser/shorts leg was pathetic attempt at making it his trade mark, poser

re dogs at Christmas. My boys stayed with a dog minder and after 2 days she texted me to take the pug away, she couldn’t cope with him. He pissed on the presents under the xmas tree and when she told him off he pooed on her bed 😦 😦 I had to beg her to keep him till I get back from Poland. Pitbull was good as gold, she said she’d always have him

Now you explain to me what went on in pug’s brain to do such horrid things which he has never done before??!!

60. chas mobile says:

Punishing you for deserting him?

61. chas mobile says:

62. chas mobile says:

63. chas mobile says:

64. chas mobile says:

65. VP of Oz says:

Didnt feel like gummi shark today so had a nice Lamb HSP (Halal Snack Pack) today for dinner after hanging out on the beach. Tomorrow we are going to try to crash the fireworks on the bridge. People are already lining up whereas we plan to head down tomorrow afternoon. The way I see it, I should get home in time for the Arsenal game…

I want to keep Ozil and Wilshere but happy to see Sanchez leave as long as we bring in someone like Lemar, Draxler or my personal favourite Turan

66. VP of Oz says:

I mentioned earlier that AW matched Fergies record 810 games.
    I wonder what number will be AW’s last.
    in the meantime –
    806 10/12/17 Southampton A D 1-1
    807 13/12/17 West Ham United A D 0-0
    808 16/12/17 Newcastle United H W 1-0
    809 22/12/17 Liverpool H D 3-3
    810 28/12/17 Crystal Palace A W 3-2

GN5 😀 😀

Took me ages to read and remember

Oh bloody hell

Just decided to watch Pool Leicester as I thought there’d be goals, and I’ve already missed the first

Also to see if Mahrez is good enough for us. Which he is 🙂

Interesting 45 at Anfield

Pool the better, but a Vardy/Mahrez breakaway goal from 0-2

Cracking game at Anfield. Pool look very good. Surprising they are not doing better in the league.

We will have to buy big in summer in order to keep up with them

Mmm, I see The Ox has gone for the wet look perm nest. Cough….nice

good game, good game

Malcolm to Arsenal. ffs who has ever heard of a serious striker called Malcolm?? I don’t want him

Eddie

Malcolm is brilliant

75. chas mobile says:

We could use a SuperMac

Mkhitaryan is a player who could replace Sanchez. He was superb prior to joining MU and Merinho.

78. VP of Oz says:

How great, watch the fireworks at midnight and then watch Arsenal play at 3am
    What a great way to start the year
    I agree with eddie 5.06

79. VP of Oz says:

Fireworks in 7hrs
    Kick-off in 10hrs

HNYE everyone
    COYG

80. chas mobile says:

Nice view, VP.
    HNY to you too.

What refreshments and entertainment have you got lined up for the next 6 hours?

81. chas mobile says:

7.46 Where I stood when I first went to Highbury though I was a few rows nearer the pitch. It was from this viewpoint that I saw Johan Cruyff do the Cruyff turn and spent many an hour afterwards trying to perfect the manoevre – never did.

VP. Great pic. Thank you.

in

Oh yes, match day
    Bloody hope early KO
    And finally, motning all

16:30 KO…phew

There is A New Post

Come on you all reds, give us a treat to end the year