Goodfellas. Player Ratings

Arsenal passed their first test against serious opposition in recent weeks with flying colours. A game of two halves with Burnley having the better of the first; Sean Dyche has got his team playing well with committed, crisp interplay play that took all of Arsenal’s concentration to go into the break still on equal terms.

As much as the first half belonged to Burnley the second belonged to Arsenal; if this was Wenger’s game plan then I salute him because it worked; the cherry on the hard fought northern cake being Sanchez’ well taken penalty in the dying seconds.

Burney supporters would probably argue that it could have gone either way and possibly it could have; so much so, that I had the alternative headline written in my head ‘Nothing good ever comes of going to Burnley’ but this was unnecessary as Sanchez slotted home with aplomb to snatch all three points and take us up to forth in the table. Power shift? Pah.

Cech: Cool hand Luke. 9

Lacazette: Breathless. 8

Sanchez: The Great Escape. 8

88 Responses to Goodfellas. Player Ratings

Fine stuff LB.

Arsene Wenger: 8 The Thin Man

2. kfdickie says:

Sanchez; Rebel without a clause in his contract. Good words but I think Burnley, and especially Barnes, went down at every available touch, so basically Sanchez was just doing a bit of debt collecting at the end.

Superb LB ….. 9/10 A Few Good Men 🙂

LBC majoring on Ramsey’s ‘dive’ this morning when the manner of contact was exactly the same as with the Sterling (going down quicker then the footsie) penalty … and yet apparently he’s a saint 😦

A rebel without a clause in his contract Oooh someone is on form this morning.

I like the idea of Sanchez debt collecting at the end for all the dirty fouls that we had to suffer during the match.

Thanks LB

Love the movie theme for the ratings. I will spend a small portion of my day working out the Granit: Sound of Music analogy. I have a feeling it’s not very complimentary 🙂

Other than that, I agree with them, although now off to look up Pasaran

Oh yes, I like that for Monreal

ha, my comment disappeared 😦

I love the post LB,, especially the Forrest Gump 🙂

8. Red Arnie says:

Brilliant, LB, thanks. Nothing to disagree with, which is a great pity. 🙂

arnie – you can always have an argument with me, I am here to oblige
    l
    Personally I think LB was very generous, come on, it was only Burnley and we were lucky to get the 3 points. And he gives players high rating? Not in a million years. 6 all around and 2 for Iwobi

Lucky?

We had almost 70% of the play. Burnley had one shot on target. We should have had two penalties not one.

We cruised it.

Raddy – I didn’t invite you to the argument, just arnie.

you are too stubborn for me 🙂 Set in your own way, in other words

Right, we are 4th now. Any chance of winning the league this season?

I actually thought Burnley were very good, far better than I expected and far from playing with 10 men behind the ball they took the game to us in the first half and were the more likely team to have gone ahead into the break.

Second half was a different story, I wonder if Burnley were instructed to sit deeper at half time, if it was it was a mistake because it allowed us to step onto the front foot and take to game to them.

I think we were lucky but we made our own luck, it doesn’t really matter if it was a small push or a big push, it was a foul and a penalty was rightly awarded.

The rest is history I suppose, I can see why a low player rating would have been the right thing but we won and that it what it is all about and should surely bump the ratings up.

With Ozil out there is a place up for grabs and AW seems to have set Iwobi up against Wilshere to vi for it, smart move by AW, should be interesting to see who wins that little competition.

13. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha, Eddie. Generous? Not by me. 🙂 As Raddy says, we cruised it! 🙂

But, LB, not surprised that Burnley played well. As I said earlier, I enjoy these kind of games, and happy that Micky’s predictions came true. 🙂

I expect much the same with Huddersfield.

ok, you are right, low ratings wouldn’t boost the morale. And we want players with big egos.

Wilshere v Iwobi, now you are having a laugh. Completely different players, Jacko for me any day of the week

How are Wilshire and Iwobi so different Eddie?

Excellent, LB, loving the film theme.
    I don’t get some of them, cos I’m thick.

Really great photo from yesterday, showing how much it meant to snatch it at the death.

Great pics Chas, especially the Escape

LB
    Can I answer your question How are Wilshire and Iwobi so different Eddie?
    Iwobi has potential 😁

Anyone can answer the question.

One replaced the other yesterday so there must be some similarities.

Top stuff LB

It’s hard to feel any sympathy for Dyche. If he wasn’t managing a football team he would be wheel clamping your car. The way he stomped off at full time? It was like the pilock had just heard that a flash southern bastard had been seen driving around in a Jag.

It’s not coz he’s Ginger that I don’t like him. Look, I’ve just come home to see Prince Harry and the beautiful Meghan Markle give a delightful interview expressing there love and devotion. It’s every girls dream to marry a Prince and every Gingers dream to get any bird whatsoever , so it’s not because he’s a Ginge.

Burnley’s fans? What’s there problem? Just because they have the honour of Stanley Mathews never playing for them and the pleasure to say that when they tried to sign Nat Lofthouse he didn’t fancy it, they think the world owes them.

This attitude is not helped with Dyche sarcastically suggesting that penalty “was never not going to be given”. He’s basically saying that his Club are a bunch of Matthewsless no marks so no one likes them? What a load of a crap. If Mathews had played for them people would have just said what’s that old git doing playing for a bunch of no marks like them.

Wilshere is a short but robust individual who believes he’s a better player than he actually is.

Iwobi is not a short but robust individual and believes he’s not as good as he actually is.

Of course it’s all about mental attitude, confidence, arrogance, experience etc.

If you were walking down the road with Wilshere he would try to stay a step of you. You increase the pace, so would he. Start jogging? He would jog faster. A run would soon turn into a sprint, until the ultimate conclusion. A punch up to decide who is better and the biggest pilock.

Iwobi? Walk down the road with him and he would be a step behind, probably offering to carry your bag and secretly hoping you would stop off to buy him an ice cream.

It’s time Iwobi toughened up. Jacks arrogance is good, all top players have it, and that’s what Iwobi needs to develop.

My youngest daughter is now going out with this new boy. He’s 21. The other day we were down town and I offered them both an ice cream. He accepted?

Note to the wise. If a man over the age of 18 accepts an ice cream from you, beat him up.

Great comments Terry and certainly agree with the 7.13 while secretly wishing I could have put it as well.

Only 4 years age difference between JW & IE.

I would accept an icecream from anyone who offered me one. Am I weak?

“Just because they have the honour of Stanley Mathews never playing for them and the pleasure to say that when they tried to sign Nat Lofthouse he didn’t fancy it, they think the world owes them.”

Exactly 😀

29. Red Arnie says:

classic Terry! ha ha ha 🙂

Raddy just pinched my punchline, so I will stay just …… shtum. 🙂

30. chas mobile says:

Twitter thread

Jacques Joseph‏

Arsenal’s class is international.

I am a “soccer” coach in New York and last summer we hold our preseason camp at the Golden Goal Residence in Upstate New York. Golden Goal host many teams and organizations, including the Arsenal Academy Camp (Arsenal School USA).

Arsenal’s camp was being held while I was there with my team. They had top classes coaches replicating the coaching from Hale End and London Colney. I witnessed some sessions and they were very impressive. Kids who registered for that camp had the new kit before it came out.

There was also an organization/camp that same week who brought underprivileged kids from the Bronx to Golden Goal so they could experience a residential camp experience out of the city. Those kids were so happy to be there and were living a dream.

When the organization learned Arsenal was there, they humbly ask Arsenal Academy if their coaches could give those young kids one afternoon session. Can you imagine those kids coming back home telling their parents they were coach for one session by Arsenal coaches?

Arsenal not only said yes, but took it to an higher and unexpected level. They ACTUALLY ADDED ALL THE KIDS TO THEIR OWN RESIDENTIAL CAMP FOR FREE!!! Those underprivileged kids got top coaching from Arsenal for a week and went back to their neighborhood with the new kit!!

Some of the kids were crying and most of them could not believe it! Some kids thought it was a prank lol. Let me tell you it was very moving and I was very proud of the club I support… although I wished I would have got that kit too lol!!

Proud to be a Gooner!!

as for sub replacing like for like players. Coquelin for Lacazette. I rest my case.

Wilshere is a pit bull, Iwobi a cocker spaniel.

Style of play
    Wilshere is known for his movement, vision, passing and combination play, as well as his leadership on the pitch.[117][118][119] He has been described by Arsène Wenger as having “Spanish technique, but an English heart.”[120] Owen Coyle, the manager of Bolton during Wilshere’s loan spell at the club, praised his ability to “tackle and take a knock,” despite his lack of height. However, Arsenal head of youth development Liam Brady noted that Wilshere had problems with his temper early on in his career.[121]
    Wilshere has been played in many different positions, including as an attacking midfielder, a Winger, and most regularly, as a deep-lying central midfielder.[citation needed] Wenger has said that Wilshere is “a box-to-box player, more than just a holding midfielder.”[122] Wilshere’s style of play has frequently been compared to that of Arsenal legend Liam Brady,[123][124] while Brady himself identified Wilshere as the latest in a line of technically gifted English players from Glenn Hoddle to Wayne Rooney.[125]
    Following his return from injury in the 2012–13 season, Wilshere received praise for his performances and potential from a number of respected players: Barcelona and Brazil defender Dani Alves referred to Wilshere as “a great player,” and compared his potential to that of Barcelona legends Andrés Iniesta and Xavi;[126] Former Manchester United and Germany midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger called Wilshere “one of the best players there are” at his position;[127] and Borussia Dortmund and Germany forward Marco Reus hailed him as “a perfect player.”[128]
    Wilshere has stated that his ambition is to eventually captain both Arsenal and England;[129] Arsène Wenger has tipped him for both.[130] Former England manager Roy Hodgson has said, “Wilshere has got the personality, the character and the quality to accept responsibility, to accept the pressure. I foresee a fantastic England career for him. I would agree with Arsène Wenger and say Jack has got the qualities [to be England captain], there’s no doubt about that.”[131]

Iwobi is a forward with an undefined style.
    I rest my case
    I won the argument 🙂 🙂

35. Red Arnie says:

motning all. good fiery spirit, Eddie. 🙂

Chas. lovely portrait of Sam, and nice story. Proud to be a Gooner, indeed. 🙂

On the question of the North, I have always wondered about one thing. When you go southwards on motorways, you have signposts reading the nice names of elite-infested enclaves like London, Cambridge, Oxford, Guildford and the like.

However, when you go in the opposite direction, it always says “The NORTH” as if warning against a journey to the unknown and uncertain lands. And if you show the audacity to ignore such warnings and venture far enough, it just says “SCOTLAND” as if you have ultimately reached oblivion. 🙂

36. Zee says:

Morning All.

Chas, I was really moved by that Tweet — and it does speak volumes about Arsenal, and flies in the faces of all those who continually decry the club. Terrific stuff.

Good stuff, LB, and good comments from all. 🙂

arnie 🙂 ‘SCOTLAND’ 🙂 hell.

Hmmm, I didn’t think that Iwobi was playing a forwards role on Sunday.

As usual he started off brightly, there is always a wow factor when a game gets going; his slalom runs are impressive, the problem is that he quickly disappears into the background as happened on Sunday.

Wilshere didn’t set the place on fire when he came on but what lacks in slalom runs he makes up for in his ability to find a killer pass. Neither offer enough goal threat and I think that is what is should all hinge on.

You score you start.

Ozil is out on Wednesday and one of them is going to start it should be interesting to see if Wenger gives Wilshere the nod.

Always proud to be a Gooner.

RA. 8.29. Never thought about that and it makes me laugh. It is the same here, outside of Copnehagen is known as “Ukendt Danmark” which means Unknown Denmark.

40. fred1266 says:

Morning everyone, on GameDay do u all meet someplace or go did to the Stadium

The 6:53 underlines while my support for all things Arsenal has never wavered – and never will.

Every area of the organization oozes class and Arsene Wenger is the epitome of that class.

underlines why not while

43. chas mobile says:

How about Rambo further forward in the Ozil position and Jack alongside Xhaka on Wednesday?

Yep, that works for me

did you hear about the premier of the documentary about 26th May 1989? Our players didn’t bother going to see it

47. chas mobile says:

Who should fill Mesut’s slippers, Jack or Rambo? Cough

Bit like saying Scarlett Johansson can’t make it, why don’t we call Dianne Abbott

Ok, I’m in a bad mood. Livid actually. Going to miss the game tomorrow so I’ve allowed myself to vent

50. Red Arnie says:

“Scarlett Johansson can’t make it, why don’t we call Dianne Abbott” 🙂

51. Red Arnie says:

Eddie. Your response about Sconny Botland brought a chuckle. 🙂

Howdee Arnie

How’s life in that lovely country up there?

You’re clever, so why didn’t you convince them to go independent and then adopt crypto?

53. fred1266 says:

Not Football related what the big deal that Harry getting married to Meagan

It’s a massive deal, Fred. We live in a Kingdom with Kings, Queens, Princes and Fairies 🙂

yesssss ha ha ha Vardy 1-0

56. fred1266 says:

Noted mickey

Wasn’t Harry the one caught in a hotel room a few years back

Oh come off it Fred, a little whizz and a hooker, normal in these parts

wow 2-0

This is the week that just keeps on giving.

wtf, totts 2 down to Leicester??!!

2 superb goals as well. Really like Mahrez

62. fred1266 says:

Not sure if my message was answered earlier since I now going through my message, we should I meet you all tomorrow

Sadly I’m not going Fred

64. Red Arnie says:

nether am I! 🙂

65. Red Arnie says:

Micky, tell you what. They were really keen to listen to me, but I just could not make the cut. I will recommend you as the consultant next time! 🙂

crikey, some fella just came on for Leicester and his hair makes Fellaini look like he’s got a skinhead cut

he he he

68. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha. ManUre game is getting interesting

69. Red Arnie says:

feck. spoke too soon.

70. chas mobile says:

Diane Abbott is hot.

Its all relative Chas 🙂

Ok, fine night’s entertainment

G’nite all

72. Red Arnie says:

did you check the heat map, Chas? 🙂

Surf’s Up

Power shift 😀

Lose 4 games and the idiots want to get rid of Poch whilst at last realising that their team is poor.. Short-termism at it’s best

Dianne Abbot. Port/ Storm. Not even.

Perish the thought.

There is a New Post

cats love computers, it’s a fact

Lilly Lala is googling MICE.