Elneny in a Back 3 again?

A win in Kōln sees us top the group which will bring us an easier route through the tournament. Given they are bottom of the Bundesliga without a win it should be a formality but we know otherwise.

images-1.jpg

Mr Wenger says he will pick a team full of PL experience indicating he may “rest” some of the youth players, I think this is a bit of kidology but we do have players returning to the squad from injury who need gametime.

Chambers is rumoured to be fit, I expect a bench role and 15 minutes for Calum (for whom I still hold great expectations).

My Team:

Ospina

Elneny    BFG    Holding

Debuchy  Wilshire  Coquelin   Maitland-Niles

Giroud    Welbeck    Iwobi

Elneny can play RCB, where he played so well in a recent game , (I can’t remember which, can you without Googling?) this allows Debuchy to provide width upfront – he delivers excellent crosses and in OG/Welbz we are strong in the air.

I am still basking in the glory of the weekend’s victory and am finding it hard to get excited about tonight. Thinking of which … we may be happy to beat Spurs by 2, but Köln beat them 8-0 in 1995 🙂

Strange k.o. time (18.00GMT).

Given the chaos created by the German fans at The Emirates, it should be a good atmosphere tonight. Best way to quiet the crowd is to score early. Could we? Just for once?

COYRRG

76 Responses to Elneny in a Back 3 again?

1. IvanTossimov says:

The result at the weekend is still giving me a warm glow somewhere down my trousers. However much the spurs fans think that last seasonss place above us was the beginning of a new era in North London, they are truly mistaken….. still no trophies in the White Hart Lane cabinet and we proved at the weekend that they have a long way to go before they are North Londons best LOL

Thanks Erik

Chaos? I thought they were the best visiting fans we’ve had in years.

Anyhow, thanks for the PM. Can’t remember the XI that started the last Eurodisney game, but they were bloody awful to watch.

I’ll go back and find the culprits, then be back to see how they marry up with your XI

Back in a mo

Ok, here we go:

Macey, Nelson, Debuchy, Elneny, Holding, Maitland-Niles, Coquelin, Willock, Walcott, Wilshere, Giroud

Mmm, so who were the sideways and back passers out of that lot?

Willock and Walcott, so based on that, your line up looks better, although I’d drop Giroud, play Welbeck central and stick that bloke with the funny name on, Nkeitah or something

————————Ospina

———-Chambers BFG Holding

Debuchy Wilshire Elneny Maitland-Niles

————-Nelson Giroud Welbeck

This is my punt at AW team tonight.

Wish I knew why Fred thinks that Elneny is out, I can’t find that anywhere.

Looks like I am not the only one who has not been tittilated by tonight.

Micky. I agree. Hoping for much less sideways football.

BR is off to a Thanksgiving night. We start with a couple of horns of mead, followed by a sacrifice, some dancing and carousing around the bonfire, then a mighty feast ending at dawn. Should be fun but means I will be AWOL for the game.

I think Fred is not a fan of the big haired Egyptian

Usual order of play: mead then the horn

Not sure it’s going to be on telly anywhere, so you may be missing nothing at all

8. fred1266 says:

No sorry I want Elneny out the team, think he isn’t AFC material

9. fred1266 says:

Yep after Pharoah and the drama with Moses how can we even support them

Plus he isn’t even good

I’m really looking forward to tonight, those players have a lot to prove. The reason why the last MM cup was so dull was because Wenger played Wilshere on the left wing so Giroud and Walcott had no service. Tonight should be different.

Whoop whoop it’s on BT Sport 2.

do we really have Willock, Walcott and Wilshere? And Nelson and Nielson? And god knows how many players that have a birds’ nest haircut? I am totally and utterly lost. Only Giroud should stand out from that lot

Thanks Raddy, enjoy the Thanksgiving dinner. I thought it was a yankie custom, not Dannish

Starting XI: Ospina, Debuchy, Mertesacker, Holding, Chambers, Coquelin, Elneny, Maitland-Niles, Welbeck, Wilshere, Giroud.

Subs: Macey, Sheaf, Willock, Nelson, Iwobi, Nketiah, Akpom

Properly done Chas 🙂

Cheers, BR.
    Excellent pre-match for a spursday night game.

Don’t know about you lot, but that lot hardly set the heart pounding with anticipation

Oh well, it’s on telly, so may as well give it a go

That is a very exciting team.

Remember, Arsenal is not just for Christmas, Arsenal is for life.

Couldn’t we have squeezed someone a little more exciting in there?

ha ha ha

I honestly wrote 5:24 before reading LB’s line ROLF

BFG making his debut in Nov 2003 for Hannover v Cologne.

Neil Brooks‏
    @NeilBrooksAFC
    2h2 hours ago

I spent a few hours at the training centre on Tuesday, looked around the new training expansion, watched a whole training session then met the squad & management. Got a real insight into a day at The Arsenal, so thought I’d tweet a bit of the experience. /Thread

The first thing, which always strikes you with Arsenal, is the inclusivity. Yes there is a media car park/ entrance, but the rest of the Staff use the same entrance etc. The staff, players and management move around together.

The family environment you read about, where ‘The tea lady is respected as much as the first team’ is very true.

The new expansion is incredible, absolutely state of the art, the detail is really something else. Machines for recovery & fitness, but also for injury detection.

Ran into a few players pre-training (Reiss Nelson, Welbeck, Holding), each one saying ‘Hello, good morning etc’, even a brief chat, but you are wary they are off to training

The training pitches are immaculate as you would expect, the players and management, all out there together. Shad Forsyth takes them through the warm up, then a few drills with the ball. Obviously I won’t go into detail about the session, but it was more serious than many imagine

A few points of interest: Per was attached to the youngest players, keeping them focussed and pushing them, not best pleased if a pass went astray etc. Per certainly keeps them honest and it is a great coup to keep him around. Then….. over comes Arsene…….(OMFG!)

Anyone who knows or follows me on here, will be in no doubt how I feel about The Boss. He is my hero, so this will be gushing, but hopefully some interesting bits coming up. Firstly, anyone who has met him will tell you he does have an Aura, but certainly not intimidating.

In fact, it is the opposite, For me, it is like jumping into the pool in Cocoon (you might need to be 30+ to get that reference). We spoke for 10min about football…Trust me you could do 10hrs and you feel he could too.

Again don’t expect a word for word, as he was just so open and honest, but he discussed players, formations, preparation and all the while, you feel comfortable enough to…well… ask.The things which strike you most are of course the honesty (in your mind you are like ‘wow!’)

but on subjects such as preparation, he was very serious. One example I can give is regarding player’s performance once they are on the pitch.

I was left in no doubt, how serious he is, about how they prepare the players, to where we should not be surprised how they should perform when picked. (Per – Cup Final). Arsene expects them to perform.

The tactical talk was really interesting, there’s me thinking I was all clever, regarding the Coquelin sub, then Arsene throws in a couple of in game scenario’s he was anticipating, which you would just not imagine thinking about, however they were critical & made so much sense.

So as far as those who claim he just throws the players out there and is tactically out of touch….trust me, give your head a wobble, you cannot imagine how wrong you are.

The discussion on players was so insightful, I believe he knows more about the players, than they know themselves, correcting me on partnership stats and throwing in other stats around average touches per game etc, my eyebrows raise to the top of my head, which he clearly enjoys.

(“Think of something else to ask Neil, you could not be more out of your depth”)

Arsene bids us goodbye and returns to the session, but not before I thank him for beating Spurs, to which he beams, keeps his class and says nothing. (Did that just happen?) Remember, this is during training, I wonder how many other managers would have done that?

The mini games are intense and very competitive. Sanchez playing like it is a cup final, Ozil masterful and Lacazette with some breath-taking finishes.

So the whole ‘they probably don’t train with any intensity’ thing, I can assure you is tripe, training stopped at 1 point over a disputed corner being given, let alone when a ‘was it over the line wasn’t it’ moment, producing a bit of a hissy fit from one player. All good to see.

Then we went for some lunch, which was great, but surreal as you go up to get your chicken pie & find yourself asking Calum Chambers how his fitness is. Lots of players came thru for lunch, Rambo, Coq & Debuchy in some rascal European denim get up. All saying hello, afternoon etc

Petr Cech is just how you would imagine, he even stops for a chat and just gives the impression he is more than happy to engage. Finally we go to reception where most of the squad comes through, signing my son’s shirts and having pictures.

Everything is ‘of course / sure / no problem’. Petr comes through, Giroud, Laca and Saed, Jack Wilshere stops off to talk and Iwobi, Jeff & AMN were just bloody well nice.

Another myth around discipline is dispelled, as a player is caught taking a picture on his phone, by Big Boro & Steve Bould who give him the 10 second stare (I even shit myself). But the point is the respect was there from the player where he was thinking ‘Oh shit!’.

I met the Training Centre Boss, Sean O’Connor, who was just superb. Again what he doesn’t know about The Arsenal isn’t worth knowing, but the impression of him I was left with, was one of real intensity and a deep passion for the club.

Steve came with us, who works part time and is ‘old school Arsenal’ has been there 14years, but still walks around like he’s the luckiest man alive. He is basically all of us fans working at AFC, great to see.

Then the Big Man comes through again, he is class personified. You read things negatively suggesting ‘it all ciphers down from the top’. It may or may not, but what I can attest to, is the positive things like class, inclusivity & respect, certainly do.

I get what I came for, a picture, but I left with far more than that. Some people meet their hero’s & are left disappointed, I left with a feeling toward him far greater, than even that of which I arrived.

But, before I did, someone quipped ’20 more years Arsene?’ Arsene showed us his famous wit & replied ‘Do you want to kill me?’ Some might Arsene, but not all of us.

End.

Chas

I assume a “European denim get up” has something to do with Nasri 🙂

Brilliant game, goal to goal from both teams

All asleep, just as I thought

Rule number one when playing away is silence the home crowd, Eddie

That could take a while 🙂

Silence the krauts? Didn’t think it was possible

During games like tonight’s game I appreciate how difficult is wenger’s job. At his age he has to stay awake and alert till the end of it.

ha ha ha

Anyone still around?

Pen

Really hard to imagine they’ll actually score

blimey

Now they will try, I mean the Arsenal

Ooooo

Well, errr, turns out we didn’t need to rock up anyway 🙂

Majestic group winning performance.

The ref decided the game.
    What an appalling decision.

Which of our goals do rate the best, Chas? 🙂 🙂

Not that winning, losing or drawing had any significance whatsoever.

This one

41. Aaron says:

That was horrible and typical!
    Dominate the game, passing, movement, and crappy finishing.
    Give away soft penalty and Cologne crawl off the field for a win.
    grrrr.
    Not a good follow up to the Spurs game.

Agreed

43. Jjgsol says:

I did not see the game and all I have took at is the clip before, but it looks like a dive to me.

If he was pushed by debuchy he would fall to the opposite side not forwards.

Also looks like a classic Rooney act as he was already on his way down before the contact.

Maybe they should do away with penalties for could entirely.

Agreed to Chas’ goal 🙄

In full feast recovery mode – not good.

We lost away again and once again to a dodgy penalty decision.

Actually, from the vid above it is a clear dive. Bloke should be banned, excommunicated and sent to the Siberian salt mines.

salt mines in Poland

Salt mines are cool and that one is a wow for sure

Check out the one in the north west of England. They’ve got bloomin’ motorways down there. That big.

Erik

Do not watch the game

We set up to bore, and succeeded. Bugger the pen.

the chandeliers are made of salt too. I went there about 5 years ago, brilliant

yeah, even I have to agree that the ref was a cretin, the diver dragged his leg as if it got stuck in shit. I wouldn’t say it changed the game, the result yes, the game no. I was rubbish from start till end.

51. RC78 says:

Another loss in Germany…but that does not affect our top spot qualification so it is ok 🙂 Still not convienced by the back 3…

I like Wilshere playing a bit deeper too. I would really like to see how this set-up would work out:

El Neny Coquelin Wilshere
    Walcott Iwobi
    Giroud

52. RC78 says:

If Ozil moves to Barcelona in January, I suggest to make it a swap that includes Arda Turan

53. RC78 says:

Another two want aways at Barça that are worth a look: D. Suarez and P. Alcacer

Ozil to Barca?? Really? I cannot believe that, not in a million years

wow, I have just checked. Media are full of Ozil to Barcelona stories. Strange. I hope it is the usual bullshit media spin

56. VP of Oz says:

just had my daughters 19th birthday “pre’s” at our house
    about 20 to 30 kids getting drunk, vomiting in the garden, eating cheese, cupcakes and homemade caramel/tim tam slices while my wife and I watched stranger things on the telly
    now to get up in a few hours to take my son to some futsal comp

chas/neil brooks was a great article
    chas 6:46 banner was awesome
    Rocastle was a legend

VP. Sounds like the sort of party I would have wanted to attend at 19 🙂

Not so sure now – I don’t like caramel/tim tam slices

1.03 Brilliant 😀

59. Red Arnie says:

ok, knot ear, but …

thank you, Raddy, thank you all. enjoyed the comments. 🙂

been there done that. topping the group matters so we have done that. onwards and upwards. let us just win the Spursday league this year and get on with more serious business next year on. 🙂

60. Red Arnie says:

Only one further comment. VP@1.03. Brilliant. 🙂

61. VP of Oz says:

Reshmin Chowdhury

@ReshminTV
    Telling Arsene Wenger I’m a Spurs fan. Attempted this part in French, just for fun. Conversation as follows:
    Me: By the way, I support Spurs
    AW: Really? You have an illness…
    Me: I can assure you Arsene, I’m in great health…
    AW: Yes but you are ill on the inside!
    😂👏😂👏 #UEL

“I like Wilshere playing a bit deeper too”

Ooh who would have predicted that he might be better playing a more deeper midfield roll than a more attacking one?

Lovely pics of heady days. 3´for a seat!

7.11 My early days on the terraces. I recall when there was space to wander around in the North Bank. Must have been the wilderness years

There is a New Post

chas. Move your comments onto today’s post. Good to start the day with a 6-0 victory against the Miscreants 😀