Arsenal’s Top Seasons – 1952-53, our 12th best

The 1952-53 season started well for Arsenal as we won the opening two fixtures but then only managed to win two of the next eight matches. A 5-1 victory over Liverpool at Anfield on November 15 helped to inspire the team and the goals continued to flow throughout that winter. We beat Bolton 6-4 (away from home on Christmas Day), Wolves 5-3, Spurs 4-0 and Derby 6-2 in the next couple of months.

April proved to be the decisive month; the Gunners played eight league matches during the month, including a run of five straight wins. The last game of the month though, was away to title rivals Preston. Arsenal was two points ahead with two games remaining and could seal a league title with a victory at Deepdale. However Arsenal suffered a 2-0 defeat and both sides were level with one match left. Preston played first, beating bottom side Derby 1-0 on Wednesday. Two days later Arsenal knew that only a home victory over Burnley would give them the title. Burnley took an early lead but Alex Forbes, Doug Lishman and Jimmy Logie all found the net to make it 3-1. Burnley made in 3-2 in the second half but Arsenal held on for the crucial two points and we won our 7th League Division 1 Championship. It was two points for a win in 1952-53 so we ended the season tied with Preston on 54 points each; we won based on goal average (Arsenal 1.516 – Preston 1.417) – goal average being the rule back then, not goal difference as it is today. (goal difference, Arsenal 33 – Preston 25)

Jimmy Logie sneaks in at the back post to score Arsenal’s third against Burnley 1st May 1953

We had reached the FA Cup Final in two of the previous three years, but in 1952-53 we lost to eventual winners Blackpool in the quarter-final.

Arsenal 1952-53 appearances: Daniel 41, Roper 41, Wade 40, Lishman 39, Forbes 33, Logie 32, L Smith 31, Goring 29, Mercer 28, Kelsey 25, Milton 25, Shaw 25, Holton 21, Swindin 14, Chenhall 13, Cox 9, Marden 8, Platt 3, Oakes 2, Bowen 2, Dodgin 1.

Arsenal 1952-53 goalscorers: Lishman 22, Holton 19, Roper 14, Goring 10, Logie 10, Milton 7, Daniel 5, Marden 4, Mercer 2, Cox 1, Forbes 1, Oakes 1, own goal 1.

Also that season… Stan Mortensen scored a hat-trick for Blackpool in the FA Cup final but the game was remembered for the contribution of his team mate, 38 year old Stanley Matthews. Blackpool beat Bolton 4-3 in the (Matthews) final, and Mortensen’s hat-trick remains the only one in a Wembley FA Cup final.

And – Marilyn Monroe graced the cover of first ever edition of Playboy magazine in December

Tom Whittaker became the Arsenal club’s new manager in 1947.

During WW2 he was an Royal Air Force pilot and achieved the rank of Squadron Leader.

For his service in missions on D-Day, he was awarded an MBE.

Tom Whittaker’s league record –

Games 378, Won 171, Drawn 101, Lost 106,

Goals for 677, Goals against 509,

Goals for per game 1.79, Goals against per game 1.35

Points won 58.6%.

Average League Position 5.22

Total # of trophies won – 2 League titles, 1 FA Cup, 2 Charity Shields.

Arsenal Footballer (1931-52) Leslie Compton serving a pint to Tom Whittaker in Compton’s pub in Henley

Sadly Tom passed away far too early from a heart attack in 1956, aged 58.

Written by GunnerN5

148 Responses to Arsenal’s Top Seasons – 1952-53, our 12th best

Top stuff, GN5.

Looking for some clips from that era, I came across this beauty from 1952 featuring the glorious tones of John Arlott. 🙂

Before I read the post can I say what a great start to the week the 6.45 slider added to the pic of MM in the post is.

It has set me up for the week. Thanks chas.

Right onto the post …

GN5. I love our history lessons.

My father told us tales of the Compton’s, Lishman and Roper.. According to him Logie was better than Brady which is perhaps why I questioned his judgement 🙂

8.11. Excellent stuff. Arlott was the voice of my youth alongside Brian Johnston and Wolstenholme.

5. Zee says:

Super stuff, GN5 —- again! 😀

I had no idea that Tom Whittaker had been an RAF hero reaching the rank of Squadron Leader. Very interesting.

Unfortunately, I had never seen a ‘photo of him before the one Chas showed of him in Leslie Compton’s pub, eleven years after the end of WW2.

Neither had I seen a ‘photo of Leslie Compton, let alone seen him play, but the undisciplined thought sneaked into my mind that if I had to choose which of the men in the ‘photo was an ex-RAF pilot hero, I would have pointed to Compton.

It probably says more about me than I would want – but Tom seemed, with his glasses, his apparent age and rather large girth – only 11 years after the end of the war – not to fit my mental image of what such an heroic man should look like. Shame on me I guess.

6. RC78 says:

Here is my England squad for Russia:

Here are my 23:
    3 – Hart, Butland, Pickford
    8 – Walker, Trippier, Jones, Cahill, Stones, Keane, Rose, Young
    4 – Dier, Henderson, Drinkwater, Wilshere
    5 – Alli, Rashford, Sterling, Lallanna, Oxlade
    3 – Kane, Vardy, Wellbeck

Possible alternative:
    – Get rid of Wilshere to include one more striker like Sturridge or Carooll
    – Get rid of Lallanna to include Barkley

My formation would be 4-3-2-1

7. RC78 says:

By the way – excellent post

8. RC78 says:

Mustafi is gonna be out for weeks.
    With Kos and Chambers out, our defense is gonna be odd…

Bellerin – Holding, BFG, Monreal – Koli
    Ramsey Xhaka El Neny
    Lacazette Sanchez

Being honest, I always think these historical posts will bore me, and yet, every single time, I become completely engrossed. Love them.

6-4, 5-3, 4-0 and 6-2. Proper scorelines, and if I may be bold, I’d say the direct consequence of a 2-3-5 formation.

Now, if some bight spark tells me we deployed a pathetic two up front, then I’m not listening.

Morning all, it’s Canadian thanksgiving today, we celebrated yesterday with traditional Roast Turkey and Pumpkin pie for a family group and friends,

Joan Arlott I can still remember his tone and words;

“Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen this is John Arlott welcoming you to Lords – It’s a lovely day here at Lords”………..

I saw all or parts of every home game that season and sneaked into the ground at half time for the final game. When Burnley scored their second goal my heart sank and I had awful visions of them scoring again and taking the title away from us at the last gasp. The ground went wild at the end and Avenell Road was packed full of absolutely crazy Arsenal nuts for what seemed like hours.

Oh GN5, the glorious days. Tweed, caps and trilbies

Jimmy Logie was my favourite player and him scoring the winning goal made it even more special for me – I missed his goal as even a professional sneak like me couldn’t penetrate the security before half time.

That’s right Micky – plus hob nail boots.

I watched the “Matthews” FA Cup final with a large group of our family crowded round my Uncles 9″ black and white TV – the reception was as awful as the game was memorable.

Zee, the late 40’s and 50’s were special times in London the post war years were full of hope and joy and of course an unmentionable amount of hardships, My support for Arsenal was galvanized after we won the league in1947/48 (my first season watching) then the FA Cup in 1950 and then this 195
    2/53 title.

Zee
    I added the Jimmy Logie scoring against Burnley photo but not the one of Compton serving Whittaker in the boozer. 🙂

Tom Whittaker was a natural in front of the camera. 🙂

Zee

I share your concerns. What struck me most was that for an “alleged” WWII pilot, he is lacking.

In the waxed tache department.

Most suspicious

GN5
    Photos as requested

Thanks GN5, fascinating as always.

This period is the reason why I became an Arsenal supporter. If you look at the list of goalscorers, 2nd to last is the name Oakes with 1 goal. Steve Oakes was my best mate at school and his dad was the same Don Oakes. He only played for a couple of years and his career ended early.

By the time I knew Steve, he was not a well man (alcoholism) He died too young whilst we were still at school together and without a penny to his name.

… he’s second from the left in the back row of the photo in the post ….

Thanks Chas, the first picture is Squadron Leader Tom Whittaker MBE. The second is him carrying an unconscious Ted Drake off of the field and the third is his 1497/48 title winning team which is the first year I started to watch the Arsenal at Highbury.

Here Rasp – this is from Arsenal.com

Don Oakes joined Arsenal as an amateur in December 1945 and turned professional seven months later.The inside forward/wing half played 11 times in 10 years at the Club, making his debut in a 2-1 win over Aston Villa on the opening day of the 1946/47 season.But first-team opportunities proved difficult to come by and Oakes had scored just once before he was forced to give up the game due to rheumatic trouble in 1956.He scored 68 goals in 158 Football Combination appearances and won league honours in 1952/53.The attack-minded wide man completed National Service in the Army between 1946 and 1948. His father, Alfred, was a professional with Birmingham and Millwall.

25. AARON says:

GN5,
    Thank you for the bit of history.
    Came to follow Arsenal in the 70’s and I think I am a quasi long time supporter. Geez, you got me beat by miles…
    Not a bad period to be a supporter and thankfully the world survived WW2.

I think he’s actually the third from left back row Rasp.

Thanks GN5, LBG and I were discussing the same era before the Brighton game. GoonerB was supposed to be meeting up with us with Billy McCullough but he had to go straight to the ground. There were quite a few decent Welsh players around at that time. Cliff Jones … the totnum welsh ‘legend’ comes in to my work. He must be 80 but still fit as a fiddle.

He’s second left of the players GN5, 3rd if you include the guy in the suit. I should know, I kicked a ball about with him 🙂

Well Rasp, then Arsenal.com most be showing the wrong picture of him in their data base.

He had a slim face which was heavily pock marked from a childhood illness, the picture of him on Arsenal.com is correct … and that is the guy 2nd left of the players.

….. I’m referring to the black and white pic in the post, not the fake coloured 47/48 one a few comments back ….

Aha! issue solved I referring to the coloured picture.

The drinking culture was already endemic in those days before they earned obscene wages. Cliff Jones was also an alcoholic and describes it vividly in his autobiography.

Heavy drinking was rampant all over in the post war years – it was like a huge sigh of relief.

Mr Whittaker would have looked much better with a decent moustache.

Those who recall my series of posts which featured great British explorers will call how facial hair improves a black and white portrait

36. Zee says:

Hi Rasper,

It is a shame for Cliff Jones that he is/was an alcoholic.

I have known peeps who were also addicted in that way – and in one case, I went into work one morning, and in my office was an electrician I knew very well, prostrate on the floor in a dreadful state. He had raided my fridge where I kept different drinks for clients – and sadly drunk the lot overnight. There were a lot of bottles of gin, scotch, blah dee blah, to cater for different tastes.

My father before he died, told me that he knew CJ — (my father was teetotal) — in passing — many years ago — during a posting in the UK, and (let’s be honest – this is probably a useless and incorrect piece of info) 🙂 he said that Cliff had an army career with the Royal Horse Artillery ( OK, I have no idea what that is/was) who were based at a barracks in St John’s Wood at the start of Cliff’s Totteringham career.

Was that covered in his autobiography? No? Then ignore all the foregoing!! 😀

Hi Zee, I have to admit to not having read his autobiography … my info comes from my misguided colleague who is an incurable totnum fan. Cliff gave him a signed copy and my colleague told me about the passage that described his alcoholism.

My father also came close to becoming an alcoholic, it cast a small shadow over my upbringing.

38. Zee says:

Chas’s 3:43 second photo down,

It appears that the unconscious Drake, on the shoulder of Tom Whittaker, has kicked the player on the right in the goolagongs!!

Sneaky those ancient footballers!! Red card?? 😀

39. Zee says:

So, Rasper, we have committed the cardinal crime of talking third hand about something neither of us know anything about, based on incomplete (in my case) memories of what someone else told us about another party.

Did I get that right?? 😀

I am sorry you have had some experience of the effects of that problem, even if not the whole deal.
    I have witnessed the effect of this disease on otherwise good decent people. It is devastating.

Anyway, at 80, Cliff Jones must have got on top of his problem — the one’s I knew died young!

40. Zee says:

Good talking to you, guys, got to go — work calls. Maybe tomorrow? 😀

Come on Wales

Morning Chas

I’ve long thought International football is of a very poor standard, and after watching Wales Ireland, realize how right I am 🙂

Oh, and as for Ramsey as a No10, don’t even go there

49. Zee says:

Are you not happy Rambo would make a good prime Minister, Micky?

And good morning to each. 🙂

Ha ha and good day Zee

I’m not getting enough sun light and that’s my excuse

Morning all …. does anyone know the situation re Mustafi’s injury?

Nope

To be fair Rasp, if he was one of our good players (ie attacker) I would be deeply concerned and probably have a chat with Mr Google

54. RC78 says:

Mustafi to undergo more tests Thursday apparently. Groin injury feared with possible ligament dame – pbbly a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks and a maximum of 12.

Feeling sorry for Wales – would have been nice to see Ramsey and Bale again

Feeling in awe to Island

RC

Do we think Per makes Holding a better player and therefore we’ll be ok ’till Kos gets up and running again?

Agree 🙂

Hey LB

You’ve mentioned on here you hang about in Spain. Is that in Catalonia?

Hey, it’s Big Tone’s birthday.

Here’s my big injury related question

Did Jack survive the break without even playing? 🙂

Go on then Chas, give us Tone’s finest moment. Yes, THAT goal

That’s the one. Thanks Rasp

My pleasure Micky 🙂

Oh how I love that TA goal

Still gives me shivers

Lads, Lads, while there’s just a few of us, I’ll let you into a bad thought I had.

Once it became apparent Wales were going to lose, I was quietly hoping Ramsey would get injured. Nothing bad or painful, just out of action for a bit, cos I think he wrecks our game.

As I said, shhhh, secret squirrel and all that.

Micky. I rthink that the team setup with Ramsey and Iwobi is the future. Ozil and Sanchez will leave, we will sign a flyer for the left, Laca in the middle.

Bob’s your Uncle. Champions.

I am a bit further south than Catalunya, it has been very exciting here.

Welbeck could still take that berth on the left. Big season for him. Should be available this weekend cross fingers.

Shame Sanchez is out of the WC. Hopefully this will allow him to exhaust himself throughout this season.

Agree that this is a big season for Welbeck.

69. Zee says:

Good morning, each. 🙂

At last the flaming internationals are over for a while.

Now we can get back to being happy/miserable/happy at something or other concerning Arsenal. [clue to the uninitiated: ‘irony alert’]

So is Overmars joining Arsenal? Good or bad, if he does?
    I thought we had snaffled the Barça transfer bigwig. True/false — or are we getting both? Or will Vera the owner of the Goobers Café get the gig?

So much for peeps in the blog world to get their teeth into and shake like a terrier with a juicy rat!

Real footie stuff. Where’s Micky? Where’s Steady Eddie?

Argentina had to beat Ecuador away at altitude

Ecuador went 1 up, then Messi hattrick

“My people, we have just formed the nation state of Argentina, and we need an emblem to go in the middle of our flag. Work tirelessly to come up with something wonderful”

“Why not just stick a sun imoji on”

“Ok then”

Chas
    Think you put in more effort than they did 🙂

73. RC78 says:

– Sanchez will not play the WC – a real shame but whoever will get him in the summer, will have a fresh pair of legs roaring to go from Day 1 of next season

– I think the last attacking spot for England is going to be a fight between Sturridge, Defoe and Wellbeck. If Sturridge keeps fit, I think he has the edge over the other two because he is a clinical finisher. However, if he does not – the race is open and I think that a fit Wellbeck will add another dimension to the England game being able to play across the attack as well as being rather good with his back to the goal.

– Giroud will go to Russia for sure BUT Lacazette will be a doubt

– The French squad (barring injuries) is almost known already
    –> 3 – Lloris, Mandanda, Areola
    –> 8 – Sidibé, Jallet, Varane, Kos, Umtiti, Kimpembe, Mendy, Digne (or Kurzawa)
    –> 5 – Kante, Tolisso (or Bakayoko), Pogba, Matuidi, Rabiot (or Sissoko)
    –> 4 – Coman, Lemar, Payet, Tauvin (or Dembele or Martial or Fekir)
    –> 3 – Griezzman, Giroud, Mbappe

Basically, there is a doubt at:
    – Back up LB
    – Back up DM and back up CM
    – Back up RW

but 19 names already in the plane barring injuries

Most likely starting line-up:

Lloris – Sidibe, Varane, Kos, Mendy – Matuidi, Kante, Pogba – Griezzman, Lemar – Giroud

Back up team:
    Mandanda – Jallet, Umtiti, Kimpembe, Digne – Tolisso, Sissoko – Coman, Payet, ? – Mbappe

74. RC78 says:

By the way – Giroud is a real fighter. Not the best ST or FW but the guy gives 100%

75. chas mobile says:

76. chas mobile says:

My money on Guinness and Peanuts to achieve 90% market share

Sun of May on the first Argentine coin, 1813

History
    According to Diego Abad de Santillán, it is a figurative sun that represents Inti, the sun god of the Inca religion. Although most consider Inti the sun god, he is more appropriately viewed as a cluster of solar aspects, since the Inca divided his identity according to the stages of the sun. Worshipped as a patron deity of the Inca Empire, he is of unknown mythological origin. The most common story says that he is the son of Viracocha, the god of civilization.

The specification “of May” is a reference to the May Revolution which took place in the week from 18 to 25 May 1810, which marked the beginning of the independence from the Spanish Empire for the countries that were part of the Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata by then. There is a legend that as the new government was proclaimed, the sun broke through the clouds, which was seen as a good omen.

Anarchist and economist Diego Abad de Santillán claimed that the Sun of May was a representation of the Inca sun god Inti.

Argentina is famous for the tango (I think) or is it the Passo Doble´?

Why not this on the flag? 💃💃💃🏻

Spot on Raddy.

The tango is the most famous of all Argentinian dances. Although it originated in Buenos Aries, the Argentine tango is now known throughout the world. The tango is the most famous of all Argentinian dances. Although it originated in Buenos Aires, the Argentine tango is now known throughout the world.

Good day to you all. Thanks for the recent posts to GN5 and Micky. Been a bit busy recently so not commented in a while.

On footy matters Arsenal related I feel we are entering a defining moment in how we deal with the Ozil, Sanchez situation and what we do in January. Personally I would like to see us be decisive and potentially even ruthless in how we handle this with the priority on the clubs future interests before anything else regarding the players.

Ozil is the one I would get tough on, purely because we can because we have excellent options in his position. If he stays injury free I actually believe Jack can match Ozils input and possibly even surpass it. They both have slightly different strengths and weaknesses but that is the case with most top players that can perform the same role.

I would play him in that right of centre number 10 role rather than deeper midfield. Iwobi is an excellent young prospect in the position as well but is not yet at Jacks or Ozils level but this doesn’t matter if he can play understudy to Jack and get significant game time which he should.

I don’t believe all this that Ozil may still sign an extension and think it is a smokescreen to coerce us into giving him regular playing time in a world cup year. If he has turned down the rumoured £275kpw and hasn’t signed by now he never will and I think we should sideline him and invest in the options that can give us a future. What I hope is that this will panic him into accepting a move in Jan if we are not playing him. At least we get something back and it may be to a club that suits us better than him just waltzing up the M6 to Manchester and Maureen come seasons end.

Sanchez we need to play because we have less quality options in his position and I don’t see his character allowing him to ease off in his performances. However I still think that we get the most out of him now but get a deal done that suits us in Jan.

I actually think with our squad options we could lose both Ozil and Sanchez and just bring in 1 quality forward player, but who should we look at?

As an addition to that I would ask how much the projected image of a club matters in modern football? Have we moved into an era where when looking to bring in a player the image and excitement that the transfers generates is as important as pure footballing matters? I think we are in this era, like it or not, and as a club I think our star (image wise) has waned recently, and I do feel this could have knock on effects in our ability to persuade top players to join us when they have other options.

Do we now need to make a purchase that doesn’t just give us the quality we need but also makes people sit up and take notice of us again? For example should we look to pay Griezmann’s £92m release clause and have Wenger and his best mate Lacazette go all out to persuade him to come, or should we go for a £25m up and coming option that is less recognised? This is not a question of whether you agree with this or not morally but whether this is the reality we are facing in modern football.

GB

Firstly, nether player can be worth that much in Jan given a club could get them for zilch in the summer

Secondly, man up! You correctly point out we are ALWAYS two quality players short, and you now suggest we sell our best two and get one in their place. Like…..eh?

GB

I do agree with that, although our chances of attracting top players, whether star quality or plain butt ugly characterless mercenaries, will be dramatically diminished if either/both Sanchez and Mesut sugar off.

Transplant was The Bounds Green Singles Tango Champion 1977.

Chas
    Thanks for the sun god stuff

It could be 2 needed Micky. For instance Griezmann and Cavani would be great but are we ok (playing with a front 3, or number 9 with 2 number 10’s behind) if we have Lacazette, Giroud, Welbeck and Walcott as 9 options and Griezmann, Wilshere, Iwobi, Welbeck (can play both roles) and maybe young Nelson as number 10’s? Does that have enough quality to compete at the top end of things?

Could be 2 ROLF
    Always 2 🙂

Thing is this. Griezmann could take his pick of the world’s elite clubs, and I’m afraid we are not one of those.

he he he

90. chas mobile says:

Thanks Peaches. Can’t wait to see it

Are we nearly there yet?

Yes we are. T-2 Days. Oh praise the lord

Lots of this in the news: “Talks over an extension to Mesut Ozil’s Arsenal contract have been positive”

Bring it on 🙂

GB makes a good point about transfers.

Just a few years ago no youngsters bought PSG or Man City shirts – it was all AFC, Barca, RM, L’pool and MU. Today I rarely see AFC shirts on youngsters.

Why?

Because, thanks to the financial diligence of the club we have stopped buying top level players. Having identified the brilliance of Mbappe last season, AW should have bought him or put in place a buying arrangement for this summer. He would have sold shirts!

Sell Sanchez or give him away at seasons-end and buy Lemar

We are losing support which is far more worrying than missing out on the CL.

And how are we so sure that he would have wanted to move to Arsenal? Money? No matter how much we offered PSG could have offered more.
    Monaco are just waiting to see if there is other interest in Lamar and if there isn’t we will get him in the same way and for the same reason we got Lacazette

98. Zee says:

GoonerB,

You made some very good pints in the Vampire hours last night.

Actually, that should read ‘some very good points’ and what you do with those fings fangs is our business.

I agree with your general prognosis, tho I doubt the focus is correct.

Players will, and have, declined to join us – rumours abound – and in my opinion, that is mainly because of our lack of success in the major competitions, the uncertainty still surrounding AW’s future, and the rather alarming exodus of players over the years, and in particular the decisions of Alex, Mesut and the Ox to go, in recent times. [Mesut’s now rumoured to be willing to talk turkey – not sure I believe that.]

So what to do? Win something other than the FA Cup, or the League Cup – and the chances of that are not too high, sadly.

Buy Big in the transfer market. Well we have been waving a stick at some quality but expensive players, La Caz is an example – but others for whatever reason are apparently reluctant.

The challenge with the latter is that for our La Caz, each of the ‘Big’ teams will call our major signing, and show two or three of their star cards.

Very difficult situation we find ourselves in – and it is likely to become worse – especially when the disaffection is spreading to our bright hopes in the youth team, who may follow Willock out of the door to the likes of Benfica. Crikey – are they one of the Big guys too?

Frankly — however the chips fall, I will still support the Arsenal, so in that respect, whatever develops does not affect me.

99. Zee says:

Hi LB,

I agree with your assessment, which is in accord with mine, but better written. Peeps like short, sharp, to-the-point comments.

Not something I can do. 🙂

100. chas mobile says:

BR at 8.36 😆

101. RC78 says:

Nothing breeds success like success

The tipping point (on the wrong side, unfortunately) is the loss of the 2006 CL Final. Until then, we were on an ascending trajectory. After that heartbreaking loss, we needed to deal with competing demands of glory, major trophies and economic pressure for the stadium. We gave in to the third one and lost key players, did not win the league or CL since and were not even challenging for these titles except 2-3 times for the league (in 10 years!)

High caliber players see Arsenal as a career rejuvenating spot where they can demonstrate that they “still have it” or that they can “meet the demands of the EPL physically and talent wise”- it is still a good window for many players BUT they don’t see it as a trophy-winning squad anymore. The FA Cup is great but it does not taste like the EPL or the Champions League – it is like having English Sparkling Wine when you would like to have a beautiful (Bollinger?) French Champagne – it does not quite cut it…

This could have changed if we won the league in 2016 but we fudged it big time and handing it Leicester on a silver plate in the end.

HOWEVER – THIS COULD ALL CHANGE IF:
    – we win the Europa League this year
    – keep our FA Cup
    – Finish in the Top 4

Winning the Europa league will boost our club’s morale and image all around. I hope that AW plays strong squads throughout the competition to really have a good shot at this. I genuinely believe that we can get the best of our team in this competition and that the players are hungry for this trophy.

Ospina – Bellerin, Holding, BFG, Koli – El Neny, Coquelin, Wilshere – Walcott, Iwobi – Giroud

‘If Jack Wilshere keeps up Arsenal comeback, he’ll be a certainty for England squad in Russia’

Jeremy Wilson, Deputy Football Correspondent

12 October 2017 • 12:55pm

Jack Wilshere has been told by Arsene Wenger that he is a certainty for England’s World Cup squad next summer if he continues his recent comeback at Arsenal.

Wenger believes that Wilshere is the closest now he has ever been since his first big injury to returning to the form of his breakthrough season in 2010 when he was England’s most promising young player.

“I believe Jack is in the best form I have seen for a long time,” said Wenger. “He is very close to being considered like everyone else. If he keeps going like he is going he will go to the World Cup for sure. I don’t see Jack Wilshere being fully fit and not going. He played games already and he will play more.”

Asked if England “need” Wilshere for his ability to unlock defences from an advanced midfield position, Wenger added: “Of course. Jack is certainly one of the players who has that more than anyone. He is maybe more the number 10 than anyone. He can play in tight areas.”
    Jack Wilshere
    Wenger has been impressed with Wilshere’s comeback Credit: AFP

Wenger has also reinforced Arsenal’s opposition to a late kick-off time against Liverpool on Christmas Eve, but is open to the possibility of a lunchtime start. “I know we have to adapt to the schedule dictated by TV,” said Wenger. “If that happens, I think no game should be after 2pm at the latest.

“I would personally prefer to be at my home on Christmas but I still feel it could happen if we play early. We go to a society where religion isn’t considered and people want as well to watch football in the Xmas period.”
    Jack Wilshere
    Wilshere would be deserving of an England place in Russia, says Wenger

Wenger also had a short response when asked about his critic Paul Merson’s decision to make a comeback in the fourth tier of Welsh football. “We speak about professional football,” said Wenger.

That’s from the Sports Telegraph.

Arsene Wenger has revealed the latest team news ahead of our Premier League clash against Watford at Vicarage Road.

The manager provided updates on the likes of Shkodran Mustafi, Laurent Koscielny, and had good news on Danny Welbeck and Mesut Ozil.

This is what he had to say:

on the latest team news…
    I haven’t seen everybody, because some players are coming back today and some are in tomorrow, like Alexis. The minor problem we have is with Sead Kolasinac. We’ll check him today – he has a hip problem. We lost Mustafi for about four to six weeks and I don’t think he’ll be available before the next international break. Ozil and Welbeck are back in the group in normal training.

on if Koscielny could play at Watford…
    Koscielny has a definite final test tomorrow. At the moment, he’s not available. He trained on his own and the first signs are positive, so we decided to give him a test tomorrow.

on whether he has defensive concerns given Mustafi and Koscielny issues…
    Yes, I have. I think about sorting out the problem, but overall I will completely decide what I do tomorrow because Koscielny will have a test then. He worked quite hard physically, he looks like he is capable of playing if he survives the test. If he has no pain on his Achilles tendon, he can play. I will decide that tomorrow.

on Mustafi’s injury…
    It’s always difficult to predict the situation because the player I least expected to lose during the break was Mustafi. First of all, I was not sure he would play. Secondly, Germany had already qualified so I didn’t expect him to be out injured as the games would be less intense. He didn’t play in the first game, and we lost him in the second game against Azerbaijan at home. We have to cope with that now.

on Sead Kolasinac…
    He had a little hip problem but overall I haven’t seen him yet. I will make a check up this morning, but the news we have on him is quite positive.

on Mesut Ozil…
    He was not available for Germany, but he is now available yes. He had a whole week training, he is maybe not completely back physically to his best but he is available. There is no problem anymore.

on Danny Welbeck…
    He is available for selection again. He is a bit quicker than expected.

Read more at https://www.arsenal.com/news/team-news-welbeck-ozil-mustafi-koscielny#Jw7m0ZBvrLrbi9Al.99

Morning the Few,

Not long until proper football and a chance for me to enjoy writing a PM.

Happy Days

Erik

It will be a pleasure to read a BR PM again.

One was getting the feeling that every time a game appeared on the horizon, you would slither off to some slacker’s holiday resort within the ghastly European Union 🙂

Hey Erik, you’ll relate to this.

Last night. Mr Anti Group Meetings (Moi) was at a Group Meeting.

Here’s the bit you’ll like. A woman came and sat way too close to me, removed her shoes (apparently about feeling free) and whispered something or other about the age of frickin’ Aquarius and enlightened times. Had she not been very good looking, I would have thrown up. You would have married her there and then I suspect.

EDDDDIEEEEEEEEEE

We need a rant. It’s Friday and the site is boring.

113. Zee says:

This might get her out of bed, Micky. 🙂

The domestic cat, so long maligned as irredeemably selfish, could replace the German Shepherd as the ultimate search and rescue animal, scientists say, thanks to its advanced sense of smell and agility.

Researchers describe the olfactory abilities of the world’s 600 million cats as a vast untapped resource that could be utilised to locate survivors after avalanches, earthquakes or bomb explosions, and sniff out drugs and explosives at sites such as airports.

Though naysayers doubt felines could ever be bothered to undertake such risky tasks in return for a chin rub, academics insist they can be trained.

While the noses of many dog breeds are significantly more powerful than cats’, research indicates the latter have the advantage when it comes to the vomeronasal organ, a secondary olfactory organ on the roof of the mouth that enables some animals to “taste” pheromones and other chemical stimuli.

Scientists have previously suggested a correlation between the number of “V1R” receptor gene variants associated with this organ and the ability to discriminate between odours. Cats have 30 variants, dogs have nine.

In their paper, published in Applied Animal Behaviour Sciences, researchers from Oregon State University argue: “It may be possible to train cats for search and rescue or for other scent-detection applications in settings where a cat’s physical agility or size would make them a superior choice.”

They cite cats’ light weight, climbing and balancing abilities, noting that giant African pouched rats, which have 120 of the relevant gene variants, are already used to sniff out landmines.

Kristyn Shreve and Monique Udell, who conducted the research, said: “Although many hold the false belief that cats are untrainable, both empirical and applied evidence has demonstrated that cats can be trained.”

Others expressed doubts over the prospect of a feline rescue force. John Bradshaw, a cat behavioural expert, said: “It would be a very unusual cat that was able to focus on the rescue task it had been trained for and not try to find its way back home, probably getting lost in the process.

“Even if kept on a leash . . . I suspect that the cat would be unlikely to focus sufficiently well on the task required.”

Zee

Brilliant. I suspect it tells us more about academics than it does about pussy cats

115. Zee says:

With a slight amendment to that, Micky, I think you would have the perfect riposte.

— “it tells us more about ailurophiliac academics than it does about pussy cats” Purrfect!! 😀

I think the word “ailurophiliac” tells us much about academics 🙂

ok micky, here it goes
    I was also bored of footless period and joined a dating site looking for virtual partners. needless to say that didn’t go very well. Do you want to know more before tomorrow’s KO?

time and resources wasted on that research would suffice to train thousands of German shepherd dogs. Train a cat to sniff out drugs at the airport, honestly, they never had a cat

119. Zee says:

Look Eddie’s around, so just to please her here is a subject that everyone can not agree on. 🙂

Do ladies, girls, females really understand the off-side rules? Hmm? What do we think?

Well, recent research found that boys (eeek) really do spot off-side goals much more easily than girls. It’s true.
    But the reason for that is a) they cheat in their answers, b) they are better because more boys play team games than griddles – especially footie.

That is too say – they are not better than girls at spotting off-sides just because they are boys – but because those who play 2 or 3 or 4 times a week become good at it otherwise they lose too many games.

It seems boys play more in groups, while girls tend to play in pairs. Iso when you allow for the boys’ greater experience in playing football that it tips the balance in their favour by spotting off-sides more accurately.

The research was not based on boys or girls yelling obscenities at the Lino, but on drawing off-side positions on paper – where else.
    And having been taught the theoretical rules together, girl and boys were pretty much as good as each other in the theory.

But when they were tied to a computer simulation, the boys who had played football were much better than the girls, and that was attributed to boys having possibly better spatial awareness. as result of their playing experience.

So — three cheers for the boys!! 🙂

Of course, any wuzzes on here pretending to be boys – but who have never played football, but are only TV terrors – they are much worse than the girls — obviously!! 😀

Eddie
    “Do I want to know more before tomorrow KO?”
    Yer damn right I do, Eddie
    Back three options, or Eddie’s dating experiences???? Durrrr, like, no contest

Zee
    ” boys having possibly better spatial awareness. as result of their playing experience. ”
    Nothing to do with playing experience. We have better spatial awareness because of the hunting gene. Vital to gauge the distance between our catapult arm and, errrr………….lunch

excuse moi, I never doubted that men are physically superior to women, but that’s all. No contest otherwise.

ok zee, take one of the cretins as an example of my comment above. In my virtual profile I wrote that I am painting, 19 coats on the ceiling already. Here he comes with his chat up line ‘…and what will you do when you finish painting the ceilings?’. Paint the walls you fecking idiot. He took offence.

A polish Cazanova: ‘ I love your profile, I love your photos, but I don’t like dogs’. Sooooo, he wants me to get rid off my dogs for him?? eff off, next please.

This is what we need. More Eddie.

I like the idea of a virtual partner. Fewer problems and less washing up

Superb news. The game is today not tomorrow
    Thank goodness I’m so thorough with the homework

Morning all

Surely Erik, if you got the right partner, there’d be no washing up

128. Zee says:

Morning fellows and fellettes,

Eddie @ 6:21 — to start off your chat by saying “I am panting – 19 coats on the ceiling, already” —- In the UK to say that you are ‘panting’ and on the ceiling should get you lots of blokes!! 😀

Oh — wait — erm — that might have been ‘painting’ — but never mind doing the ceiling with 19 coats on does sound a little sexy — the sort of thing Micky would do.

From Chas 7:26

Watched Star Wars last night less space than in our box when defending 🙂

And, ahoy Zee

Are all our good players fit and ready to play today?

chas. Is that Mangan as in Arseblog?

Watford. It should be a walk in the Vicarage rd, but I doubt it will be that

Eddie

Watford have just one point less than us.

Key for me is we start scoring more goals. We averaging a pathetic less than two goals a game

There is a New Post

what do you mean less than 2 goals? One or none?

come off it micky, when was the last time we were a top scoring team? I am sure I’ll be reminded that it is early days in the season, but still – both mancunian teams are running the show, one of them will win the league.