Now we play Stoke City in the Potteries

This is my least favourite away game of the season; we play the ever repugnant Stoke City. My thoughts are always dominated by the FA Cup semi final games in 1971 and 1972, both semis went to replays and we won them both. The circumstances involved in those losses caused Stoke fans to have an everlasting dislike/hatred for the Arsenal.

The most infamous away game was seven seasons back on May 10th 2010 when Ryan Shawcross got a red card for breaking Aaron Ramsey’s leg. One of the headlines that sticks in my head was –

“Spare us the sanctimony about Ryan Shawcross being a nice lad”

Poor Arsene Wenger always suffers terribly at the torrents of abuse cascading down from their “fans” but he handles it all like a true gentleman.

Anyway  – our away record against them is as abysmal as they are – we have only won two away games in the Premier League era and to make matters even worse their manager is the equally obnoxious – Leslie Mark Hughes.

Historically we have only managed to get 33.3% of the points in our away games against them so based on the past we should not be too optimistic – but the past is the past and we are the ARSENAL.

Here is our complete league record against Stoke City.

Written by GunnerN5

55 Responses to Now we play Stoke City in the Potteries

Thank you GN5 for the post.

I have often written of my dislike both for the Stoke team and their managers, The fans are even worse but I must hold back some ammo for my pre-match.

A 33% return from the fixture is not very good, is it?

I am still hurting from the ribbing I got at school the Monday after losing to a poor Stoke team 5-1. Just looked at GN5’s (or chas’s) chart – it was all of 47 years ago. That has just ruined my morning

2. PatMustard says:

Can an Arsenal fan ever talk about this game without mentioning Aaron Barbie Ramsey? Get over it, players get injured, is a man’s game ( In most cases)

It’s all GN5’s work, BR.

I remember that 5-0 away from home very clearly indeed.
    It was such a shock for our team to concede so many in one game as, at that time, we were involved in many low-scoring games.

On the bright side and as a way of brightening up your morning, we did go on to complete the double that season, so maybe it was that Stoke defeat that proved to be the catalyst, 🙂

I was at the Ramsey leg break game and even though we went on to win 3-1 with two late goals, it was a difficult victory to enjoy having seen Stoke fans celebrating and jeering as Ramsey was carried off the pitch and into the awaiting ambulance.

GN5

Did you say “Leslie” Hughes?

OMG, that is fantastic research.

“Leslie, Leslie, give us a wave”

Over to you Chas ‘n Ant

ROLF to the max 😀

Apols
    Morning all and many thanks GN5

7. Zee says:

Morning all my Chickadees. 🙂

8. Zee says:

Thank you for the Post, GN5, and another of your famous Lotus spreadsheets showing you have detailed information at your finger tips whatever the subject. [What’s a Lotus 123 when it’s at home?] 🙂

I thought you and one or two others were a bit harsh in your views on neanderthal Stoke fans — but then Stoke’s own Colonel Mustard popped up @ 7:22 and proved you were right all along.

Thanks GN5, great research as always.

Like every fan of the art of football, I hate Stoke and everything they stand for … the crass defence of their ‘style’ of play is epitomised by PatMustard’s comment above.

I wonder how their view of football would change if they suddenly had a billionaire owner and they started buying footballers instead of cloggers. Good luck to any of their players who try to kick Kolasinac out of the game……. I just hope Xhaka doesn’t allow himself to get provoked and pick up a red.

10. Zee says:

Umm, in case any of you were wondering what chickadees were – it’s a term of endearment – and also a name for a bunch of American tits – not that I was using the latter! 😀

12. wally says:

that’s an interesting vid of Nelson. So is he left-footed or right-footed? He plays so easily with both i couldn’t tell.

Morning all,

I agree with Rasp that our team are a bit bigger and tougher these days, but without knowing for sure, I still think that overall we have one of the shortest teams in the PL. Zhaka and Kolasinac are two players who will most certainly stand their ground but I fear for our team as Stoke are simply a team of thugs led by Sparky.

Frankly I would sooner drop points than lose players to either injury or red cards. It will be extremely unusual but very gratifying if we come away with 3 points,1 point would be acceptable but a loss is the most likely outcome.

Chas the Mae West & WC Fields movie reminded me of my youth, that was the style of all the movies back the. Both were super stars of their time and many of Mae Wests quips are still funny to this day (well to me they are). It was just superb when instead of sub titles they started showing “talkies”.

Chas thank you, as always, for your extremely complimentary additions to my post.

Looks like the Archangel is leaving. In Spain for a medical with Valencia.

Shame, I liked his aggression. Our team is lacking an Enforcer and Gabriel was one of the few who was a real powerhouse. Perhaps AW thinks Kolasinac is the better defender and Enforcer.

Either way, if we are to sell Chambers, can we afford to take two CB’s from the squad given the fragility of BFG and Koscielny?

17. Zee says:

BR,

I do not understand the thinking behind selling Gabriel, as I liked his aggressive attitude – remember him v Costa – and he filled in very well at right back when needed.

And it is not that we are loaded with plenty of injury resistant CBs either. Per and Kozzer, as you said, are injuries waiting to happen during the season, and if Chambers follows Gabriel out the door we are ‘light’ as AW likes to say.

Most managers prefer to provide for the worst that can happen in each position, whereas AW seems to have scant concerns about defensive cover, and looks for the best that can happen — but life cannot be taken so casually.

Me no like.

18. Zee says:

GN5,

As a result of your interesting Post on fixtures and the possibility of bias in setting them up, I had a more considered look this afternoon, and the fixtures are still open to changes caused by replays, CL, FA Cup, EL and the TV companies ‘picking’ games to be moved to Sundays etc and so I do not detect any bias, as I said yesterday.

What I hadn’t mentioned, was that there are still some fixtures that need to be reshuffled as there are no less than 7 games to be played by all clubs in December according to the official Fixture list and many of them to be played every 3 or 4 days.

I cannot believe that will happen – but maybe you have a list of the games played in December 2015 and 2016 to compare them – perhaps I am wrong. 🙂

The joy of spreadsheets!

19. Zee says:

Fred,

Out

When I saw this headline I thought Micky or GLIC, looking at the pics I think Micky justforgot his wetsuit:

21. Eris says:

From the compilation, we’ve played Stoke away 8 times in the EPL era, won 2, drawn 3 and lost 3; this having won all our home games against them, in the same period. If recent history is an indicator, we beat them handsomely (4-1) in May. Point is they hold no fear for me anymore. If the want physical, I feel we can cope.

But that’s the problem. Many have failed to notice that Hughes has gradually turned them into a tricky side, laced with nippy attackers and grafters in midfield. Hopefully, we go with that knowledge, rather than the attitude we will be getting a bruising. I feel we play our game, they won’t get near us; it is when they start with long balls that we need to show some grit.

22. Jnyc says:

I think that selling Gabriel probably means we’re keeping Chambers. Arsene must really like the progress he made last season on loan.
    Hopefully he will get enough minutes to avoid rust.. there are FA cup, league cup and Europa.
    So we decided to keep the homegrown player, even though we could have sold him for a higher price.
    At least i think thats what’s happening.

23. chas mobile says:

24. chas mobile says:

6.26 funny.

Don’t understand the 6.40.

28. VP of Oz says:

nothing like a transcendental monk giving your Dck a good yank in the morning

29. VP of Oz says:

I think I read somewhere that Gabriel was having some issues learning english. AW probaly got tired from hearing him say qué to everything he said. CAllum probably fits into the homegrown quota etc

Can’t wait to meet the neighbours

If you haven’t seen that clip that VP put up it is well worth it.

Here is the same thing, different address.

Cheers, LB.
    I saw the VP vid on twitter when it was posted but couldn’t play it as it’s banned for viewing in the UK.

Right on cue, Emmanuel Petit to DB10. 🙂

You’ve certainly kept us entertained today Chas, I really enjoyed reading the Mertesacker interview.

Agree with GN5 5.32, well played chas.

Gabriel joins Valencia
    18 Aug 2017

Gabriel has joined Valencia for an undisclosed fee.

The Sao Paulo-born defender made a total of 64 appearances for us, following his arrival from Villarreal in January 2015.

For many supporters, his finest performance in an Arsenal shirt came in last season’s Emirates FA Cup semi-final win over Manchester City, when his aerial dominance and tough tackling helped put us on our way to the final.

We would like to thank Gabriel for his contribution to the club and to wish him well for his return to La Liga with Valencia.

This deal is subject to the completion of regulatory processes.

Copyright 2017 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source.
    News

I like the thought that AW would sell Gabriel because he could not learn English.

If you play for Arsenal in the English PL then you have to speak English to be a part of the squad,

Even Bale and Becks learned Spanish.

I read some time back that AW insisted on the players speaking only in English.

41. fred1266 says:

Sanchez learn English yet

42. Jnyc says:

I doubt if Alexis knows much English, he comes from a amall, poor, remote region of Chile… the dialect there very different than most Spanish anywhere. Chilean Spanish as in Santiago is beautiful like Argentinean Spanish accent, almost a slight Italian influence.
    BUT some reporter asked Wenger how they spoke recently (or texted).. and Wenger answered that they communicated in English.
    Arsene claims to speak Spanish, but I’ve never heard him. Would be cool to hear him speak his other languages..

But he’s not a show-off like Pep the checkbook manager who under-achieved in Germany, though he did learn the language.

Game day. Late k.o which is not good when having friends around for dinner and one is cooking 😦

I’ll believe Bale can speak Spanish when I see it.

There is a New Post