The Arsenal Dilemma …. summed up in 4 lines …..

Whatever is going on behind the scenes, it cannot be in the best interests of the club or the team to maintain this radio silence. Apart from those at the top in the know, everyone else needs clarification.

With 12 players entering the last 18 months of their contracts, and the likely loss of millions from dropping out of The Champion’s League, there is also a looming financial problem to address.

The calls for the manager to go have reached an all-time high, but still there is no decisive action from the club. Could it be that our management structure has disintegrated? No-one knows who’s in charge?

From the perspective of a mere supporter reliant on the media for information, this is how I would sum up the situation:

Arsene has too much power?
Gazidis has too little power?
The Board haven’t got a clue what to do?
The owner isn’t bothered?

This is not the time for supporters to turn on one another.

We need to know ‘what’ we are supporting … is it a team that has no heart? … a club that has lost its direction? …. a manager who cannot let go?

Your considered and respectful thoughts are welcome ….

Rasp

83 Responses to The Arsenal Dilemma …. summed up in 4 lines …..

1. Zed says:

Rasp,

I posted the following about the time you called New Post, and even tho I have already pasted my comment from elsewhere, I hope you do not mind me repeating myself? 🙂 I often do!

This just about sums up my disappointment with the way things have gone at Arsenal over recent times – and in the light of last night’s capitulation it fits.

The last 10 years have been ‘consistent’ in the eyes of some, but it has been stagnation in the eyes of others, because while we have been marking time being consistent others have caught up and passed us by leaving a once top 2 club in their wake.

It has often been held that Chelsea, City and Manure have achieved success by dint of the money poured into them, and that may well be right, but if Kroenke did not realise when he bought the Arsenal that he could only compete by matching the spend of the top clubs, then he is not worthy of owning this club.

It cannot be a surprise to Kroenke, anymore than it is to me, that being parsimonious with his billions of dollars has inevitably led to Arsenal gradually recruiting poorer quality players over the last decade, and the old adage, in transfer terms, is that if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. And there was a lot of them on show last night.

A lot of us are waiting, fruitlessly it seems, for concrete news about whether or not AW will sign a contract extension, so that Kroenke will have to announce he has stopped fannying around and now realises he has decided to;

— (1) Keep Wenger, and spend big to replace these sub-standard players;
    — (2) Let Wenger go, and spend big to replace these sub-standard players;
    — (3) Keep Wenger and only tweak the squad.

From a business viewpoint, it is inconceivable for Kroenke to plan to spend big money on restructuring the squad, and then also leave that in the hands of an ageing, once great manager.
    Option (3) is the more likely – in which case I shall go hibernate for 2 or 5 years.
    But trying to second guess what silent Stan will do is impossible.

The decision when it comes will say as much about the incompetent owner as it does about the current manager and team.
    Does Kroenke have the cojones to choose option 2 (above) and make a clean break? Not at all sure he does!

Hopefully Arsene will save him the bother and decide to ride off into the sunset.

Thank you Zed (Redders) … now I am really depressed 😦

3. Iceman says:

A team that has downed tools. A manager who is 8 years too long in the job. A manager with way too much power. A board full of ageing dinosaurs who, like the players are beautifully comfortable with their fat pay cheques and minimal pressure. Out of date tactics, zero leadership on and off the field and ZERO respect for the fans.

4. Gordon surporter says:

Arsenal targeted 1st position during the first half of the season and even expected to win Champion league. But these quality of players? Wenger’s problems yesterday were in mid field and defence? But could not realise. Anyway Arsenal presently has the poorest midfielders

5. VP of Oz says:

ive already forgotten the game from this morning.
    Onwards and Upwards,
    COYG!

Thanks Gordon.

It comes to something when Sam Allardyce sums up our problems succinctly in his post match interview. He explained exactly what our weaknesses are and how easy it was for him to exploit those weaknesses. He wasn’t bothered about revealing this because he knows that under AW nothing will change, we have been this predictable for far too long.

7. Dundonald Gooner says:

I would dearly love Arsene to tell me what the game-plan was last night…

8. wally says:

A compendium of thoughts.
    I don’t think most people can overly complain about the state of the club at this point. For a number of years they’ve proclaimed that wenger has earned the right to decide how and when he goes. Kroenke and Gazidis has effectively endorsed that position by their silence. Wenger’s indecision about accepting change(?) has led to the current state of affairs. The entire situation has created an absurd level of ennui at the club and amongst the players.
    They’ve given wenger and his supporters what he wants and this is the result.

At this point a clean break is the only way forward. With so many players out of contract in the next 18 months wenger staying would only handcuff the next manager and the club. Wenger won’t let them go, they’re his babies. And only a complete fool would take on most of these players at their current or newly signed wages. In that sense wenger has well and truly left his thumb up the clubs posterior. We’re likely to spend a few years in the wilderness because of it. And imagine the situation if wenger were to continue next year with a similarly dismal performance. You think it’s bad now? Pfffffftttttt!!!!!

What player worth his salt would come along to the club at this point? He’s a manager on life support; trying to rebuild a team that has exhibited little if any heart in the second half of the year, that appears headed south and humiliated by having his power reduced. Only the very youngest looking for a big bump in pay or very oldest looking for one last payday would join.

They need to get the management structure sorted. Bring on a DOF that has a distinguished pedigree and bring on a top shelf manager who commands instant respect. Equivocation at this point is the worst possible route.

9. Jeremy says:

Up until recently i’ve been pretty supportive of the idea that Arsene should be allowed to decide when to step down and I trusted that he’d know himself when the time is right. He’s not a typical manager and his influence and impact on the club is so unique that I was fine giving him more leeway because of the almost incomparable nature of the circumstances.

I think i’ve changed my mind today. Not because of results or a drastically changed view of Arsene himself but more in response to the criticisms aimed at Arsene for wanting probably wanting to stay on. It’s easy to say he should know it’s time and do the right thing but he clearly loves the club and has given no indication that he thinks he’s past it. It’s completely understandable and incredibly human for him to want to stay. And as bad as things are, it’s unsurprising and even commendable that he’d want to right the ship and turn things around. I simply can’t feel animosity towards him for wanting to stay because I’d probably feel the same if I had a fraction of the bravery or commitment of the man.

That’s why I think the board or owner probably have to make the decision for him and if I felt any animosity it would probably be towards them for essentially hanging Arsene out to dry and letting him take all the flak essentially alone.

10. Jeanette Kliger aka Magic Hat says:

I haven’t written anything for a very long time, but I feel compelled to do so. AW has achieved so much for us and himself, so I would have thought he would have the insight and self-respect to know when it was time to say goodbye. I think the comment he once made about not having a hobby like Alex Ferguson was very telling. He has no idea what to do if he leaves.
    At the end of the day, however, something has to happen.
    Come back David Dein (and Usmanov of necessity) all is forgiven!

Cheers, Rasp.

The uncertainty surrounding players and the manager not signing contracts seems to be very destructive at the moment. It’s as if everything is in limbo and we just cannot afford that three quarters of the way through the season.

If it’s true that AW’s new contract is already signed and the Club were waiting for an opportune moment to announce, then they should have done it after the West Ham game last Wednesday.

It now seems possible that it’ll be announced at the end of the season which will harm both the end of the League campaign and any hope of winning the FA Cup.

It’s a disgrace that such a shambloic situation should have been allowed to develop.

The likelihood that we’ll miss out on CL revenue next season will colour everything that happens over the summer as well.

I didn’t get worked up by the shite performance yesterday it’s now so commonplace. My lack of enthusiasm and respect for the players, the manager and my fellow supporters is at an all-time low. How did it come to this?

Hi chas, I empathise with all you say.

Like you, I don’t have any answers except to say that I cannot conceive of any form of change that could possibly put everything right immediately.

Thanks Rasp

Many good comments and all “considered and respectful” as you rightly requested

It’s a sad time and a sorry state of affairs.

Jeanette rightly alluded to Arsene’s almost blinkered life, and in an interview someone posted recently, he responded to a question about his three hours’ sleep a night and whether he ever switches off from football, with an almost bemused “never”

Not healthy, and I think he needs saving

I hope the final page of this chapter of Arsenal’s history is turned soon, and we move on to a bright and exciting future

It can’t be that hard can it? 🙂

Nicely put Micky, I wholeheartedly agree.

Perhaps I have a serious character defect but I am somewhat enjoying this debacle.

I started supporting an unsuccessful team and have luxuriated in the unexpected wonderful last 22 years, now we are in the mire it feels more like a return to “My Arsenal”.

If the stands empty because the fans only want to support winners, so be it. The BoD may not be happy as the tourists gravitate towards WHL and SB, but we will return to having a core of proper supporters as opposed to football fans.

There is so much to write about this subject and sadly I have no time but for me and my mates ….

Once a Gooner, Always a Gooner.

Rasp. I agree. This is a very poor show by all concerned. The club is desperate for leadership both on and off the pitch

19. Jeremy says:

Where do people stand on the Europa League?
    Maybe a ‘year off’ might be a benefit but does have a champions league place up for grabs if we win it (cries).

Raddy, your “defect” is being a seasoned supporter.

I share the same “defect” as I’ve been through every cycle imaginable in my years of supporting Arsenal and, as always, it’s disappointing when we get into one of our periodic downturns.

I will not turn my back on our manager but he most certainly has to do a lot of soul searching and figure out what changes are needed to bring some passion and desire into our squad. He will only decide to stay if he thinks he is the man to do that and take the team onward and upward.

It’s obvious that a few of the players who he has trusted over the years are now passengers and they are letting him down – now they need to go.

With the current climate surrounding the club we are always just one bad loss away from another black flag raising day – so be it – but I will not take part in the ceremony.

GN5.

I am an Arsenal fan ahead of being an Arsene fan. I love AW and am grateful for his sterling work but like many, if he leaves I will fully understand.

Last night was a nadir in his time at AFC, the players he bought, trained and picked were made to look second rate by a poor CP side.

Much introspection is needed by all at AFC.

Raddy, My only disagreement with your comment is that I don’t see the game as a nadir but more of another beating by the long ball practitioners – which has always been a “tactic” that AW has been unable to manage against.

The failing is that we continue to get picked apart by physical teams that give us no room and play for dead ball situations. So is that the sole responsibility of the manager or are the players complicit in not following instructions?.

If AW decides his time is up then I will understand as it will mean that after consideration he has decided that that would be the best thing for the club he loves.

GN5. It had nothing to do with tactics when Bellerin could not find his team-mate from 5 yards away. Nor was it tactics which stopped Walcott trapping a ball or crossing accurately. Nor was it tactics which saw us outfought all over the pitch.

Arsene’s tactics are that we beat physical teams with artistry but we have to be able to pass around the midfield, yesterday no-one had the ability. To see Ozil and to a certain extent Sanchez continually misplacing passes was hugely frustrating.

This has nothing to do with the opposition nor how they play but all to do with professionalism and desire.

24. JM says:

“Keep Calm and Carry On”

…..
    (to follow with pictures and a few headings as far as possible).

25. JM says:

{CONTENTS}

FOREWORD
    “The non-reversible world”

26. JM says:

COLUMN
    20 years of WENGER

27. JM says:

COLUMN
    WHO’S NEXT? Who shall be the next manager?

28. JM says:

TALKING POINT
    Should WENGER continue at Arsenal or leave?

29. JM says:

INTERVIEW
    Pat Rice – “What Wenger brought”
    Liam Brady – “Arsene has the right to continue”

30. JM says:

VOICE
    Legends’ opinions

31. JM says:

TACTICS – Reading the tactics of Wenger

32. JM says:

The Wenger’s Way of management philosophy / recruitment strategy

33. JM says:

SUPPORTER’S VOICE
    Local supporter’s real intention talk

34. JM says:

SQUAD
    2016-2017 Arsenal key members introduction & grading

35. JM says:

REVIEW
    2016-2017 MONTHLY UPS & DOWNS

36. JM says:

OTHERS
    A View of ARSENAL “A new landscape of an old city”

JM

What are you doing and are you drunk?

I have had a bad enough day learning that 22% of Canadians speak French!

Three explosions near Dortmund team bus. No reports of injuries. Game off.

Juve Barca it may be then

40. Cheers Rasp

I have always loved Arsenal managers. At six years old my friend Peter O’tool had an imaginary friend Naughty O’Reily, an Irish leprechaun who would go round nicking the other kids sweets. My imaginary friend was Bertie Mee.

As adults, Peter went on to be arrested for an insatiable fetish involving Garden Gnomes were as I became an admirer of hard working football and physiotherapy.

Arsene has been my best friend for 21 years. It breaks my heart seeing his current plight. After last nights game I encouraged Arsene to hit back at his critics, “Everyone thinks they have the worse wife at home”, something like that.

I agree with chas, no one comes out with any credit in this, including the fans.

I won’t have a go at Arsene. Back in 1983 I was on a night out with the lads accompanied by Terry Neil. My mates could not understand why I kept asking for two beers? At the end of the night I got speaking to this lovely girl. She looked exactly like a young Joanna Lumley, except she didnt. When we got back to her place I asked if my mate Terry could watch as we made love. He had just lost at home to Walsall so was feeling a bit down. She wasn’t up for this, so me and Neil had to walk home.

We were both pissed up and still angry that Terry had messed up my chances with the bird who didn’t look like Joanna Lumley, I started having a pop at him for losing to Walsall and that how he deserved the sack. Things got really nasty and ended up in a drunken brawl. I had him in a headlock shouting “why did you buy Lee Chapman you mug” before letting him go, explaining “Bertie says I should act like a gentleman ” A few weeks later, Terry got the sack.

I never spoke to Terry after that, and to this day I am gutted about it. Women should never come between imaginary friends. Even ones that don’t look like Joanna Lumley.

Ones thing for sure, what ever happens, we will bounce back. Arsenal are an unstoppable force that can’t be contained and Phoenix like resurrections are our norm.

Keep the faith

1-0 Juve nice

And THAT, Terry, is the other way of looking at things 🙂

43. Explosions Micky? Off to check the news

2nd goal for Dibala

Unreal ball from Messi
    Unreal save from Buffon
    Superb goal at the other end

Switch on is my advice

HA HA HA
    Superb 🙂

Shitballs, my kindle screen has frozen
    On off nope
    plug it in nope
    hit it ooops

Delete your cookie?

What are you talking about Told ya, it’s frozen solid. Pop it in the aga?

3-0 Juve

reboot the internal inner space

he he he
    Shitballspeak 🙂

Good game, good game

Ah Erique
    Fresh air cleared the webs?

In the past we’ve been linked with Chielini, Khedira and Higuain from this Juve side

56. VP of Oz says:

BR 3:33, I agree
    I was more interested in the Man City game. If Pep with all his plaudits, resources, experience and moneyed team could only manage a draw then what does that say about AW.
    Man City are struggling against expectations, Manure have 12 draws and a few weeks back we had the KloppOut brigade.
    I’m not worried if AW leaves or stays, I just want the team to start winning and playing to the potential of the players. I love Ozil, Sanchez, Welbeck, Xhaka etc. shame they didnt play against CP…

The comments have been excellent, great post Rasp

Yes. Thank you Didit.

Shame we didn’t sign Dybala

Barca spent a bucketload of money on their defence and are on par with ours!

Nice to watch no pressure football game

till dawn shipmates and no absentees. Weakness will not be tolerated 🙂

Blighty bound for a few days. Excited. AA input may be sporadic.

Arriving by Long Ship all fur and horned up are we?

One slider and I’ll be happy for the day. Or a box.

63. chas mobile says:

That’s the last straw
    A Beetle in moon boots with a sitar
    Nothing Arsenal would ever tip me over the edge, but over the edge I’ve just gone
    Livid

68. RC78 says:

The issue of our club is that we are not addressing our critical gaps, year after year….

Critical Gap 1: Defensive frailty and poor back four
    Critical Gap 2: Lack of Steel at DM and M position
    Critical Gap 3: Lack of engine from our wingers
    Critical Gap 4: Lack of Plan B
    Critical Gap 5: Lack of mental strength and leadership in the team
    Critical Gap 6: Lack of pull factor due to lack of trophies in the past 10 years
    Critical Gap 7: Revenue-results focused rather than pitch-results focus

Address these gabps and we will be competitive

69. Zed says:

Mickish — recharge Kindle battery – a bit technical but ….

If you charge it using an Apple machine, don’t forget to go to ‘Finder’> devices> and ‘eject remote disc/Kindle.

Or just throw it away and get another gold plated replacement.

70. RC78 says:

Rumour has it that Arsene Wenger will announce his decision by the end of the run in the FA Cup…

73. RC78 says:

Three good options for DM:
    – Illarramendi from Real Sociedad
    – Casemiro from Real Madrid
    – Carvalho frrom Sporting Portugal

Illarramendi may be the best value for money. The guy has matured into a fine player now and his workrate is very good. Casemiro brings even more defensive steel but I doubt that Real Madrid will sell him. If you associate Illarramendi with Xhaka, you have a solid pair there although Xhaka will need to really step up.

Imagine this now as your starting team:
    Cech – Mustafi, PEPE, Koscielny – Bellerin, ILLARAMENDI, Xhaka, Oxlade – Wellbeck, LUKAKU, Sanchez

All of them have have a certain work rate and winning attitude

74. chas mobile says:

Indeed, morning.

Don’t know why, but I like the fidget spinner

Wish I’d had more time yesterday as I’d like to have discussed one or two of RC’s critical gaps. Hey ho

RA
    Thank you for advice,, bits of which made some sense. I held the off button down for a long period and it got it’s shit together happily. Love my kindle.

Quick POST SENT