Arsenal. Mesut. The No10 role.

Messi is quite good, bit like Mesut, and he plays to the right of Neymar and Suarez.

Much chit chat these days about Mesut, and as always, much talk about formations.

I believe he plays wide for Germany, and I’m also beginning to think The No10 role is a thing of the past. Couple of days ago I posted a line up for Bayern away in which I beefed up the midfield with Xhaka and Elneny in front of Coquelin. Along the front I had Sanchez, Danny and Mesut.

Chas thought it was a bit Maureen’ish, whereas I was trying to be a bit more Barcelona’ish.

messi

Relevant bit for today is the binning of the No 10, while keeping Mesut in the XI.

As a No10 behind a front three, I’d expect him to be the 4th highest scorer. He is. I’d also expect him to do important passes, or assists, he does (2nd).

Could he play wide right? Yip, I reckon so. He is fast, both over ground and like lightning between the ears. Intelligence as a footballer is what DB10 had in abundance, and one of the qualities that makes Mesut so like the great man.

Mesut to the right? What do you think?

Written by MickyDidIt89

52 Responses to Arsenal. Mesut. The No10 role.

Cheers, Micky.

I think you may have a point about the No.10 role being a bit of a luxury these days.
    Dennis was no.10 in a front 2.
    Mesut, nominally, in a middle 3.
    Entirely different positions?

Obviously my tactical bolleaux knowledge is so limited that we need to wait for the big hitters to add anything meaningful.

I’d imagine the word ‘shoehorning’ might come into play at some point. 🙂

Happy Valentine’s Day to the toughest, most resilient and compassionate person I know.

Oooo Chas, I do hope Eddie is reading 🙂

Re DB10, I was only likening their footballing intelligence, other than that, I’d say an absolute stonker of a post 🙂

Ah shucks chas. How sweet of you. I am touched.

Micky. Thank you

This post is about tactics at which I am clueless.

Can Mesut play right? Well, if Ramsey can then he can.

I really like your BM line-up and think you will not be far off.

I think that that is a really good line up to face Bayern.

8. chas mobile says:

9. chas mobile says:

Lateral Integrale Duccio. Now that is proper tactical bolleaux

With it being Valentine’s day, I’m planning to use my Lateral Integrale Duccio very wisely indeed this evening.

fooking hell, is that for me chas??
    Please don’t disappoint me!!!!

I thought you had a ‘no touching’ rule?

Yes, but can he play left side, Thomas?

I think it depends upon whom is the toucher or the touchee

Touché

7.45 UK time.

Micky must be fancying Cavani to rip Barca a new one?

most Valentines would be disappointed to watch PSG v Barca
    I am however looking forward to it 🙂

I got a Valentine 🙂 my pug is going to be so jealous, oh I have to tell peaches – she will be jealous too 🙂

Thanks all

Chas
    I love that Roaming Engash speak. Superb

micky. you know my opinion – if Mezut is going to win us games I don’t care if he is a goalie. BUT he probably hasn’t got attributes required for a goal keeper (mind you some of our keepers didn’t have those either). He has speed, twinkly toes and eyes around his head to tell him where to send the ball. His corners and free kicks are top notch too. So it probably makes sense he is either in the front line or close behind. Or on a wing, he can do that too.

If I was Wenger I would ask Mesut where he is happiest (on the pitch of course) and make sure he gets what he wants. He is awesome, best player we have. Keep him happy please

now that I am in a good mood I can tell you a nice story about my amazing dog, pit bull called Bambi.
    We were in the park yesterday and a German Sheppard pup thought my pugglet was a toy to toss about. Bambi was doing his usual happy clappy village idiot act until he heard pug crying a bit. He charged over, tackled the german sheppard with his shoulder and sent him flying squealing like a pig. Few minutes later the pup was tormenting the little fellow again. Again, Bambi gave him a shoulder and it all stopped. He is unbelievably clever, I have never seen a dog doing that kind of thing. No aggression, just a shove, job done. He’s done it before with a smaller dog – pinned him down. The dog yesterday was bigger than him, but he managed. I am immensely proud

Eddie. Must be the way you brought Bambi up.

Koscielny looks like Pinocchio 🙂

no Raddy, I bring up all my dogs the same and they are all completely different, like children. But some of the traits in Bambi leave me gob smacked, never had a dog like that before. And yet I love the pug most coz he is cuddly 🙂

to watch or not to watch Barca…they can be sickening sometimes. Need to be taken a peg down perhaps

28. fatgingergooner says:

Been saying for a while that Mesut as a 10 holds us back, so safe to say I agree with the post. He plays wide for Germany so why can’t he do it for Arsenal? It’s not like he has to spend the whole match stood on the touchline. He can still do what he does now for the most part, it’s just that it would allow us to play one more midfielder than we do right now, thus making us more solid. If we had wide players who were so good that they couldn’t be dropped, then I’d understand why we stick with a number 10, but we are talking about dropping Walcott or Iwobi.

As for how Özil would play, you only have to look online at his assist compilations to see numerous videos of him cutting onto his left foot and playing people in on goal. There are also loads of examples of him crossing the ball on to people’s heads.

We have the players to benefit from a change in formation, but it probably won’t happen with Wenger at the club, so might aswell accept that Bayern will take advantage of large holes in our midfield. Hope I’m wrong.

Nice free-kick from a Valentine’s Angel.

Jackie-boy showing how much he loves his missus.

The Bond villain gets number 2.

barca 2 nil down 🙂

Just popped in to see the score
    3-0 and Cavani hasn’t even bothered

We did better in Paris, so I guess we’re better than Barca too

An away win tomorrow would be fabulous

Oh, and can someone delete the bit in my post where I referred to my epic formation as being Barcelona’ish 🙂

4-0

He bothered

4 bloody down 🙂 🙂 taken down a peg or two 🙂

Barcelona’ish 🙂 meaning shit?

Yes Eddie, that is of course precisely what I meant to say 🙂

37. Look at those PSH supporters!!!! It’s a great feeling to beat Barcelona even if they were shit.

Obviously they weren’t shit when we beat them 🙂

See you at first light
    g’nite

39. fatgingergooner says:

Probably the worst Barca performance I’ve ever seen. They were awful. PSG played very well though and totally bossed midfield. I hope we perform much better than Barca did. I’m worried about us keeping 11 on the field. Seems to be something we’ve struggled with in the past in big CL games.

Good Morning,

Really enjoyed last night’s game. PSG were excellent, helped by an ageing and clearly not good enough Barca midfield. Age catches up with even the very best.

Anyone else have a good feeling about tonight?

Of course, that means I do. Pre-match and pre-team sheets is the best feeling. Anticipation, expectation, hope.

Koscielny looks like Draxler

Sorry to talk football on non football morning but I felt a need to comment on Micky’s post before the inevitable Raddylicious pre-match goes up.

Micky, I feel, and have mentioned before, that the only time the formation really changes for me is if if you switch from aback 4 to back 3 as Conte did. After that it is about the individual strengths and characteristics of each player that dictates how the line up ends looking.

Ozil to the right might work but its effectiveness in his national team may be very different to how it works for us. Different team-mates and different opposition. Their is an argument that in the modern game the top international sides aren’t as good as the top club sides so any deficiencies in his role on the right might be more hidden that would be exposed at the top club level.

I also seem to recall AW trying Ozil wide early on in his time with us, ( to accommodate other players….shoe-horning Chas 🙂 ), and it not working that well. We only started o see his best when he moved into that free central attacking role.

Whether you consider Ozil as a number 10, ACM, or free roaming in the hole player, I feel our biggest problem has been in not getting the right quality and balance around him.Players like Ozil show their genius in what they bring out of other players as much as anything else so if you don’t give them that quality around them then you will not see the best in them.

As such I would prefer to see Ozil in his current role, whatever it is called, and improve the balance and quality around him.

GB. Fine comment this early in the day

There is a New Post