Don’t make me laugh …………….. Match preview

sid-james2

So it’s been a difficult week for some Gooners, the team has gone from ooh aah heroes last Saturday to utter befuddlement  at the performance on Tuesday night against Watford. Less said about that the better.

On to today………….

We picked up a couple more injuries the other night, one to Ramsey and he won’t be available for the game. That leaves Coquelin as a shoe-in (last man standing) and I’d put The Ox alongside him. For all the poor football that we saw the other night I thought The Ox played with confidence.

Theo has to start – I don’t think AW will start with Welbeck although it can’t be long. Lucas is on the naughty step for some reason so I expect our Nigerian dynamo to start on the left. There were two Iwobis on show the other night; I like the one that came out for the second half better, so hopefully he’ll be the one that starts.

alex-iwobi

We haven’t won at the bridge since ……….. blaaaaah who cares, we hadn’t beaten them at the Emirates for years either and records are there to be broken. Ooops I’m beginning to feel optimistic ………….. who knows what will happen but to be challengers you have to fight as a team and if something goes wrong you have to rally and fight harder. Let it be so.

The weather is going to be vile but the game is in West London not up north so maybe it’ll be a proper battle.

This is my team

jochavs

If you’re scared come and join us behind the couch.

COYRRG

peachesgooner

225 Responses to Don’t make me laugh …………….. Match preview

Peaches

Thanks for stepping into the Erik cloak and sandals.

Just read comments from last night/this morning, and apparently AFC.com leaked that line up. It has really helped me plan my day, as I’ll now watch 🙂

I do think Danny should start, but ok with your line up.

Cheers, Peachy.

The weather forecast looks more promising now. Light rain until 11 and then clearing up for kick off.

Peaches got the line-up correct before the AFC.com leak. 🙂

thanks Peaches, very cautious optimism from you 🙂

We could do with Santi and Welbeck; this line up doesn’t look too good even on the paper. Perhaps they will look better on the pitch.

Excellent idea to blame the weather, why not? We blamed everything else so far

What’s Chavs’ line up? Man for man comparison?

…what’s your/sofa’s address?

oh, paul daniels is here – what happened with your post yesterday?

I wasn’t impressed that stew dog leaked my line up 😉

Eddie

That line up will try, which in turn will make me feel better whatever the outcome. The football will also look nice, so even happier.

Peaches
    Credit to you then. All of it. With scented candles and chocolates on it 🙂 Can we assume Danny and Lucas will be on the bench, with Maitland-Niles (C) to come on and see out the last 20 when we’re three up?

7. I would hope so micky although I bet Giroud will be on the bench too.

8. Thanks for the chocs and candles 😉

9. I really hope Iwobi has his tricky boots on from the start, if he doesn’t I reckon him and Monreal might not enjoy their outing

Mmm, see what you’re saying. Our wide boys aren’t the best defensively, which is why before I saw YOUR definitive line up, I did wonder about Arsene doubling up in midfield with Coq and M-N

Alternatively, with Danny through the middle, you have all the extra tracking back from Sanchez

Morning Chas and Eddie too

Pre match routines under way yet? 🙂

12. Red Arnie says:

lovely stuff, Peaches. 🙂

Apols, knot ear. Escapist, I know, but I just could not care after the Tuesday blues. Sad.

Heh, but thats life as a Gooner. Today is another day, another game. And what a game it promises to be! Cautious optimism, indeed, and the PM captures the mood rather well. Thank you.

COYG. Onwards and upwards.

what, nails and hair do? I suppose it has to be done. ok, grooming

BTW that Conte looks more and more like a tranny

14. Red Arnie says:

Is the game on Sky Sports?

Arnie
    Just go to the boozer. It’ll be on 🙂

16. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha. Micky. 🙂 My local boozer is in financial trouble and can only show BT Sports. Dont want to go to any other pub. We will see. 🙂

17. Ogban says:

The result of Tuesday has killed my zeal for this game tbh

Eddie
    There are always multiple variables responsible when we lose a game ( and when we win, too).

It’s a real shame that you only ever see one.

A peach of a pre-match … thank you 🙂

This is a season defining game blah blah blah ….. I’m not sure I will be able to watch the game if the wrong Arsenal turns up 😦

20. fred1266 says:

Leave some room behind that couch for me

21. chas mobile says:

…blinkered … tunnel vision … everyone thinks they’re Alfred Hitchcock on here 🙂

23. StewD0G says:

Peaches,

As predicted!!😂

Conte probably knew as well! Thanks arsenal.com

Thanks Peaches. If there are no concerns with him then Danny would definitely get the nod for me over Iwobi for a game of this magnitude. Danny is 1st 11 for me even when we have an injury free squad and Iwobi, fantastic player and prospect that he is, is still behind him in the pecking order.

Ditto Walcott. You just feel it is a game he would be up for and his extra maturity could be defining.

It looks like the Ox will have to partner Le Coq in the heart of midfield. Excellent though he was at Southampton I still have some longer term reservations on him here. A bit like Ramsey at times I have seen the Ox in this role before having a poor game where he tends to get caught on the ball too often.

Saints gave him a lot of space and time to play and pick his passes in that game. I am not so sure Conte’s Chelsea will, and if they press him quickly here we may see a different game unfolding for the Ox. Ox is outright quick but not twisty turny quick and sharp like Cazorla or Jack, which is often what is needed to evade the quick press in midfield.

I think an option could actually be to put Iwobi alongside Le Coq and AOC to the inside attacking left of Sanchez. We shall see. I certainly prefer the line up to the one last week or at Bournemouth even if I would still prefer a couple of changes.

I just want our boys to be switched on from the start, and to give maximum effort, we can’t ask for any more than that

26. Cheers Peaches

No negativity from me. I am convinced we will today.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

Tax Return season been and gone.

Time to settle back down to football and Arsene selects that heart attack inducing lineup.

It’s either thrash or be thrashed, got to love the man.

Can our wide men keep their wide midfielders/wingbacks from attacking. Can our wide men do their attacking job without relying on fullbacks who will have to be disciplined.

Can Ozil find space between Matic and Kante

CanOx and Coq keep their shape and release ball forward quickly enough and accurately enough.

Today we find out what the team is made of.

Why’s no-one bothered to put up the subs
    Is Danny fit?

Ok, here we go. Bottom line is, like Totnum, Chavs are worth beating.

Erikkkkkk
    Join us for the game, then go back into your den with yer nasty disease

So how does Bellerin end up challenging Costa in the first place?

We were playing well … time to see what we’re made of … there’s a long way to go

The only difference between the 2 sides is we can’t cross the ball and they can

Just watched the slo mo … Bellerin was fouled

Disappointed that we’ve let ourselves get out of shape like that.

Can’t believe it’s taken Neville so long to see the forearm smash, I think elsewhere onmpitch that’s called as jumping into a player.

35. Aaron says:

So many teams get away with high elbows it is pitiful. Hard foul on Bel everytime!

Get Walcott off … he’s not even try’s no to defend when we lose possession

37. VP of Oz says:

there is a nervy fragility to our team in these big games

Just noting how Chelsea always keep wide options available for an out ball and to change quickly into attack and have the other team on the back foot. It is often different players that offer this wide option and stretch the opposition so it seems the instruction to the team is one of whoever is in place to provide this should. Tactics and coaching? Doing ones homework?

What the he’ll is cech doing?

The only way we’ll score is by fluke or penalty

We can score against this lot. …. we just need to get the ball forward quickly. Lucas on for Walcott and we’d be a much better team

Shame about their goal but glimpses of goal for us
    Pedro, Costa and Pedro are very good, but we can score

42. Aaron says:

Gabriel and Mesut should have both scored.

Think we need to do something to solidify midfield not sure what with players available, only thing I can think is Gibbs for Iwobi or Walcott.

Or we go all out and stick Ollie up top take Ox off and just bypass midfield.

44. VP of Oz says:

Welbeck on for Walcott
    Walcott should have defended Alonso and his 1st touch is shocking

45. VP of Oz says:

Rasp, Lucas is not on the bench

Oops, that can’t happen … I just can’t stand to watch Walcott trotting around deliberately putting himself in positions where he doesn’t have to make a tackle … 2 nil 😦

47. Aaron says:

And no one fouls this guy on a 50 yard run…WTF????

48. Aaron says:

Should have been a total team destruction of the foe after Bel was knocked cold.

And people here cry that Xhaka is too hard….sheeeesh

Time to be a rugby fan ☺

Actually worryingly enough I just had a deja vu moment where I think I have said that in February many times before. Now that is depressing.

I definitely prefer it when Arsenal play teams who aren’t as good at football as Chelsea 🙂

Remind me, when do we play Sutton? 🙂

Wrong substitution … it should have been Welbeck for Walcott. We just put a ball across their box and we had4 players up front… not one took a chance and attacked it

The Ox has been very good centrally again …. on form this season, he’s s better option than Ramsey in that position

54. VP of Oz says:

giroud welbeck sanchez, iwobi, ozil
    walcott off
    now it gets interesting

Basics basics basics. Coquelin either foul or head back towards goal and let Kozzer come out earlier, Kozzer, stand your ground don’t run towards a player who is running at you, Mustafi, once Kozzer has committed himself it’s up to you to hold a semblance of position to give Cech one thing to worry about. Rather than commit too.

As for our line up, I said as much to start the game the question was whether our widemen could form an attack independently without the need for our full backs. They couldn’t so our fullbacks commit to help but get no help in return. I’ve said it a thousand times our wingers don’t deserve the support in attack our fullbacksgive them because they are frequently left exposed.

We need to retain a 4 when playing teams like this. Worse thing is the one thing I thought Gabriel coming in would mean is at least we’d only be committing on one flank so Coq could cover Pedro. No such luck.

What has Moses got to do to get a yellow card?

57. wally says:

Nice effort today. But still not good enough. Barring a miracle, the race for fourth is on and that despite spending a boat load.

Maybe the discussion needs to start moving towards who’s available and who would we like to see.

For me, given the teams’ current make-up it needs to Simeone.

58. VP of Oz says:

brainsnap plus some

16:50 England France
    Time for a nap

It could have been 3:3 if Gabriel and Mustafi had buried their headers

61. micky – loved your comment above enjoying watching us play against teams not as good as Chelsea 🙂

Tuesday night was far more disappointing for me 😦

62. Red Arnie says:

well deserved revenge, I thought. defensively poor.

63. VP of Oz says:

better buckle down for the Tsunami of AWO
    Time to see how my mates Derby County team is going

This reminded me of that period post 2005 when we played Fergies Utd. Those games where we never looked far away but at the same time were a million miles away. Those games where we didn’t look far off them in general play and ability but you always felt that they had that extra balance, power, training and tactical nous that they would get ahead and then pick us off.

We have the better resources now but it all feels so familiar just with Conte’s Chelsea replacing Fergies Utd.

VP the tsunami of AWO has been going on for a while. Many people feel that he is past his best and we need to be brave and move on but just don’t voice it all the time. After this sort of game the anger and frustration just tends to bring it out into the public domain more obviously, but it doesn’t mean that the feeling is not already there in the background.

I personally feel we need to move on and should have done in reality before now, but I wouldn’t hold up a banner to request this. I still have too much respect for what he has done for us but it really hurts me to see AW so much out of his depth now and his legacy being (to a degree) tarnished.

GIE’s 2.02 tactical analysis strikes a chord with me but I still ask why do we always seem so unprepared with so many basic errors. Are we going to constantly keep pointing the finger at individual players that it is their fault and theirs only. I say this with the post match interview with Cahill in mind where he stated that they train hard and work hard on their tactical discipline and that the manager is very thorough in this.

65. fatgingergooner says:

Was always going to be a nightmare after going 1-0 down. All Chelsea had to do was flood the edge of the box and allow us the ball out wide. With Sanchez up front crosses were never going to be an issue for them. Ironically though we had our best chances from set pieces and scored from a header. Maybe it would’ve made sense to get Giroud on sooner knowing they were allowing us the ball wide.

Everything we do defensively is a panic and last-ditch, but part of me feels a bit sorry for the defence as they only had Coq in front of them due to injuries and at 1-0 we were pushing far too many forward. Must be a nightmare being a centre back in this Arsenal team when it’s losing!

Wenger says we will be defined by our big games. If he sets the team up like that for every big game then we are f*cked! We are away at Chelsea but we set up like it’s a home game against Sutton! Play an extra man in midfield and make us difficult to break down. If you’ve only got Coq fit, don’t stick an AM in there and expect anything other than Chelsea breaking on us every 2 minutes. Put M-N in there aswell and keep it solid for an hour. Then swap it and put another forward on and try and nick it. That’s all teams do to us when they come to our place. We are not good enough to just think that we can play whatever team we want and outplay the likes of Chelsea. If we were, then we’d be 12 points clear!

Just heard Arsene talk about a lack of maturity and naivety. Aside from Bellerin and Iwobi we had :

AOC – 23
    Coquelin – 25
    Mustaffi – 25 (and German international)
    Gabriel – 26
    Sanchez – 28 (and 2 x Copa America winner)
    Ozil – 28 (and world cup winner)
    Cech – 34 (multiple EPL and ECL winner)

Just wondering where the naivety and immaturity is in the side? I am sure Arsene is hurting like us so I don’t want to pick on him but these types of post match interviews with statements like this and blaming fatigue e.t.c really don’t help.

I think a bit of basic honesty in saying we weren’t good enough and that includes me because we were overpowered and out thought tactically so we will go back and look at it and address it. The other stuff sounds like tired excuses that indicate a lack of willingness to look at where the real issues lie.

Ok, looks like everyone has joined VP in his Tsunami bunker 🙂

Think I will wander out for a pint somewhere, will chat later.

70. IanRealGunner says:

A result that was expected to be honest. We are carrying 2 or 3 players who are total passengers every game, and we can get away with it against lesser teams – but not against the likes of Chelsea. Hence, we get found out every time we play them; Theo was the principal passenger today, and offered nothing (and didn’t bother tracking back either). It may be an idea to also drop Cech for Ospina to see if it inspires him – he seems to be coasting and the third goal was a joke. The only surprise to me was how poor and disinterested Alexis looked. The number of times he gave the ball away, and many of his passes were straight to Chelsea players. FA Cup looks like the only chance of silverware now.

72. IanRealGunner says:

I hope that banner is directed at Theo

No Ian
    And don’t give me bullshit with Wenger we are in safe hands, one never knows what the new manager will be like. Well perhaps he will be like Conte?

Did you listen to Neville during commentary, he has banged the same drum for a while. Fans choose not to listen. Chelsea have title winners we don’t, those title winners learned along other title winners who were also bought for huge amounts of money, Chelsea spending is slowing ours has only just reached their levels.

We had the team to get at them today, and AW did try something different first half with formation, which didn’t work out. We looked better without Coq, some would say because game was lost, I’d say because we had a midfield who could distribute ball better and better outlets. Sanchez and Ozil up top is no good if you can’t get ball to him.

And I’m afraid as much as I have admired Cech over the years I have had my reservations since he joined, he seemed overawed by visiting his old stomping ground which is a surprise of someone who is 34, and compared to players who come back to haunt us seemingly with a point to prove. He was slow getting off floor for Costa’s header a younger goalkeeper recovers. The second was disappointing and the third abysmal.

I’ve decided to adopt a relaxed and casual attitude to today’s result.
    No drama.

76. I’m gardening 🙂

77. Coquelin getting some stick on twitter, anyone else thinking he playing with a straight jacket on as he’s all that’s left. This time last year he would have brought Hazard down not tried to get the ball off him.

ha ha ha

Chas, I note from the first paragraph that one could enter Mr Southampton as well. Seems fair.

80. fatgingergooner says:

At least we’re not Liverpool! Anyone want Klopp!? 😂

81. IanRealGunner says:

Eddie, slightly aggressive tone to my 3.36. My comment was directed at Theo’s performance rather than trying to provoke a Wenger in or out debate. And even if my opinion was ‘Wenger in’, it is not bullshit – it is an opinion (even if it differs to yours). Look the word up before you cast aspersions on me – for your info, I’m ambivalent towards Wenger. Just so you know. Hope that clears it up.

Ian – no aggression aimed at you, sorry if you thought it was. I am angry with the club, Wenger, Kroenke, chas and Ant, but not you.

83. Red Arnie says:

all fair and square against the Chavs this season? could have been better if we halved it today, but not to be!

we had our best (only?) striker injured for two games. running a thin squad is our fault, and this can happen. we allow our back 4 to roam forward, and therefore sh*t happens, sometimes, and it did today.

we still have the FAC and CL to fight for. no reason why we cannot win both.

just take the positives and move on!

arnie – pee off darling

85. Red Arnie says:

its about attitude towards life, Eddie. 🙂 I take positives even in Brexit and Trump, Arsenal is like Heaven in comparison. 🙂

I couldn’t care less about Trump or Brexit, so Arsenal feels like hell to me.

Look, I don’t despair about today’s loss. Chavs are fantastic and not many teams would beat them at home. It is the bigger picture that worries me. What if Wenger signs another 3-year deal? Do you really think he is capable of bringing up a team that can challenge for the title? Against Chavs and City, or even Tottenham? Not in a month of Sundays.

And you are talking about winning a double?? Come on arnie, we have BM away in 10 days!!

Take away Sanchez, Ozil and Koscielny, and you have a below average team, bottom half of the table. And that’s the best Wenger can do?

“we had our best (only?) striker injured”

Frankly Arnie, I think your attitude towards life stinks 🙂

I vote Eddie 🙂 (although I remain relaxed)

fooking lefties and academics for you micky

Anyway, I am insulting chavs on another site 🙂 Just offered them the signed photo of Fabregas

Good on you
    Must go

92. Red Arnie says:

Ha ha ha, Micky and Eddie

Peaches I guess you are right regarding Coq and his strait jacket, after all if he gets suspension who is left?

The thing is I’m still pretty sure we have one of the fullest squads in PL just silly suspensions costing us at a crucial time, if ever there was a game for two HM it was today.

94. IanRealGunner says:

Eddie, no problem. Thanks.

95. VP of Oz says:

Good Morning all.
    Red Arnie, I dont want to be picky but its not all square with Chavs this season. If the 2 games were CL, we’d go through 4:3 plus an away goal.
    Before the game I watched Arsenal Fan TV regulars say that if we beat Chavs and went on to win the League or the CL, that AW would still have to leave. DT (the banner boy) said only if Arsenal won the treble like Manure would he reconsider.
    I also have become ambivalent if AW leaves, I am sure he will do the right thing at the right time with the clubs best interests in mind. As much as fans & commentators are critical of him, he is still one of the great coaches in the world, he is at our club and this season is doing just as well as the media darlings Pep, Klopp and Mou, But the sheer arrogance of these fans that AW must win every game and every trophy is unbelievable, mainly because to them its all about AW and not about Arsenal the team. Winning everything is simply impossible, even the invincibles had to settle for draws against Portsmouth (now residing in League 2) at home and away.
    Yes over the last few years we should have won the League but we are still a very very competitive team and on occasions a joy to watch.
    My benchmark is different from most as it is measured against a couple of very good mates that I have known for decades who support Liverpool and Derby County. I have now included Transplant into my benchmark who comes across as a very rational and conservative barometer of the standard Arsenal fan.
    I’m off to Church now to say a prayer for Arsenal (again) before heading back into my bunker.
    cheers
    VP

96. jjgsol says:

Undoubtedly a foul, If they had been standing together and both jumped at the same time, possibly not, but here Alonso was running and jumped whilst running. His arm hit bellerin before he headed the ball. Not only a free kick but also possibly dangerous play for a red card.

It seems to me that the teams that have the fewer injuries tend to be the league winners.

Although our injury list is better this here, it is is still too much and very disruptive.

97. fatgingergooner says:

Just watched the first goal again and Walcott getting a lot of grief for not tracking back, but for me, he shouldn’t have to be the man heading the ball away from inside the 6 yard box. How is it possible that Bellerin is the only Arsenal defender standing between the width of the posts when the cross comes into the box? Why is Koscielny stood on the left touchline trying to block the cross, and why has Mustafi allowed himself to get dragged in front of his near post? It’s a defensive shambles. If there had been some shape and organisation then Monreal or Iwobi would’ve been blocking the cross, Kos would’ve been marking Hazard at the near post, Mustafi would’ve been on Costa (probably stopping him getting a clear header onto the crossbar) and Bellerin would’ve been marking Alonso instead of letting him have a clear run at the ball. That would’ve meant Theo was only needed to mop up if anything dropped to the edge of the box.

I can see why people are pointing the finger at Theo, but so many mistakes happened before that.

98. StewD0G says:

Makes me laugh how we are using a potential foul as an excuse..we were never gonna win today..this team is pathetic. If Wenger doesn’t go this summer there will be empty seats next season..it’s boring now.. the same mistakes every year..the same tactical naivety..i don’t blame the players i blame wenger..we have had different players over the last 8 years but ultimately the same failures..wake up and smell the coffee. Its pathetic, we are a massive club that has slipped into medicroity..we are buying players in 9th tier of english football for £40k..it’s an absolute laughing stock this club has become. Everyone is laughing at us!

99. Red Arnie says:

Dogstew, can I have your season ticket please? happy to pay a premium. pretty please. 🙂

VP. agreed. you dont want to be picky, perhaps, but you are. 🙂

100. StewD0G says:

Red Arnie,

More than welcome. I won’t be renewing if he signs an extension. Away support was amazing today but loads of fights and division in fan base is really bad to see. I’d say its 80% wenger out now. Can’t see how he can stay!

101. jjgsol says:

mediocrity? really? we are 3rd and have 2 more points than this last year. Yes, poor defending, but did not people say that e were doing well until the first goal?

Perhaps the nature of the first goal and the injury to Bellerin unsettled the players. They are human after all, not automatons.
    Having been given a gift goal, might not the chel$ki players sat back some what and allowed us to come at the them, hence we were stretched for their 2nd goal.

I see we had more possession and more shots.

I did not see the game, so perhaps I am wrong, but why do we seem to view every defeat as though it was only our fault, rather than the good play of the opponents.

102. VP of Oz says:

Red Arnie, add pathetic to picky as well. If it was anyone else other than me making comparisons of 4:3 etc. I’d be calling them pathetic. But you’re probably too polite so cheers.

I wonder how many would have accepted going to slog out a draw, in hindsight it may have been a better chance of success, similar to how we played City a couple of seasons back.

There were two big differences between the sides yesterday,

a) They got the ball to their danger men better than us
    b) Their danger men don’t need as much support to make things happen

This means that they don’t have to stretch themselves at the back and leave themselves open to counter.

Beware bad language!

108. fatgingergooner says:

GiE,

Is our front 4 not good enough to create on their own? Sanchez, Özil, Iwobi and Walcott could surely create things if we kept it solid elsewhere. Why do we need to bomb our full backs on and empty midfield to create opportunities? I suppose it all comes down to the first goal. Had we scored I guess we would’ve been the ones holding and blocking the midfield and playing on the counter.

Maybe tactics are over thought these days and sometimes a lot of it comes down to that 1st goal. What I would say is that when we do score first we are not at the same level as Chelsea when it comes to protecting a lead (see Man City game).

What we should learn is that we can’t give up the first goal so easily. Wenger has spoken about this a lot but still seems to set us up in a way that doesn’t make it difficult for the opposition. Maybe that’s where an extra HM player would’ve been handy but we didn’t really have many options due to injury and suspension.

109. fatgingergooner says:

That Samuel L Jackson video is my new favourite motherfucking thing.

Everton v Bournemouth game was out of this world.

Stew – agree, Wenger must not sign another deal. He WAS a brilliant manager, but he is not getting any better. I am not sure if it is his age, ability or both. I cannot fault his commitment and passion, but that is clearly not enough.

jjgsol – Chelsea were very good. They made us look pathetic at times (the second goal for example). But the fact that chavs are so good is the worst part of it – they were rubbish last season, remember? So what happened to them? A miracle? Biased referees, or no injuries, or supportive crowd, or…..what other excuses we have? Oh, I forgot. They have a new manager that did not need time to gel.

111. Personally, I think we’ve gone back to gung-ho football, works wonderfully against naive inexperienced teams like Southampton last week.

I haven’t seen anything that looks like organisation for weeks.

We seem to have no idea how to control a game at the moment. Is that because we’re giving away possession too easily?

interesting that both you Peaches and Gie try to nail technical/formation/individual performance as reasons for yesterday’s defeat (and previous defeats).

I am not going to nit pick every lost game. I am just looking at the bigger picture and see one culprit – the man who is holding us back.

Look, he really wants the CL trophy. Can he do it this season and retire in glory? I think not. Benitez knew how to do it, Ancellotti did too, Wenger doesn’t.

I used to adore him, but no more.

116. That Bellerin video is pretty scary

poor Hector 😦

peaches – do you want Wenger to stay or go?

Shall we have a vote?

118. Organisation and technical stuff is entirely down to AW. He chooses the players and sets out the game plan.

Naively I’ve always thought that the men themselves would want to be better organised and be able to use their own brains during games. Sometimes they look like they haven’t got a clue.

But against a similarly clueless team we always look amazing because we do have very good players 🙂

119. I think he should be going at the end of this season whatever happens. But while there’s still talk of him signing another a deal I think he’ll stay.

120. The problem with him going is who will replace him? When you’ve had a manager for 20 years the hand over is a completely different scenario. It’s not like he’ll be sacked and we’ll muddle along with a caretaker for a few games. We are The Arsenal, we need better preparation than that.

Eddie

If all the experts on this site say we were wrong tactically then they are blaming Arsene.

No vote required. It’d be all for change and Transplant 🙂

I think only chas will vote for Wenger to stay 🙂

Peaches – ok, it is possible that we will get 2-3 carp managers before the special one arrives on the scene. I can accept that, in fact it could be exciting. Chelsea don’t even list all the managers, only the ones who achieved something; there were too many of them. But now they have the dream man, oh how jealous I am.

123. Eddie – Conte must be a bit of a scumbag to have gone to work at Chelsea in the first place 😉

Although I do love his passion

it is a bit like marriage – my first one lasted 3 months. Not good, found a replacement. It lasted a year. Not good, found a replacement. Lasted too fecking long should have got rid off that one 30 years ago!!

But at last I found the perfect solution – I am ok on my own 🙂

125. Poch has turned laugh a minute spuds into a good team although they still managed to gift us 2nd place last season 🙂

Peaches – the only thing I can fault about Conte is his hair, wtf is that?
    Is John Terry still paying for the whole team’s trim at the local barbers’?

127. Hindsight is a wonderful thing 😉

128. What’s wrong with his hair? He’s Italian

what’s wrong with his hair? he’s Italian 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 that’s a classic.

Well Peaches, he had silver inside it last year 🙂

130. Hahahaha excellent 🙂 🙂 🙂

131. LOL that’ll keep me laughing all day 😂😂😂😂

and very little of it 15 years ago

Look, I’m not trying to suck up and be all leftie equal rights and shit, but I do prefer a woman’s take on matters carp Arsenal 🙂

Arsène Wenger is our only hope, we have to hope that his love for the club will bring him to the conclusion that the best course for the club is for him to retire

Why would i vote Wenger in or wenger out?
    It makes absolutely no difference what I feel same as it does for how any of us feel about it.

How many times do I have to explain that I support the manager regardless of who it is. I am not a Wenger inner or outer.

I’ve no idea why I blog because I really couldn’t give a rat’s arse for anyone else’s opinion on any of it.

136. Red Arnie says:

Chas. 🙂 Rasp, Yes. 🙂

137. Red Arnie says:

For me, it is about the succession plan. Dont mind 2 or 3 crap managers, but it has to be a promising new face. Someone who will try and do new things in Arsenal, Not a rehash of what he/she has tried at other clubs.

But Arnie

It’s not that complicated that there exist untried systems

139. Red Arnie says:

Micky, how do we know? What’s the point if you give up on the idea of trying to create new things? Just because the so-called-pundits tout a mainstream way does not mean thaere cannot be an alternative. Not new in a radical way, perhaps, but new nevertheless. IMO.

oh god, now arnie goes all philosophical on us
    Nobody likes radical change, most are scared of it
    But without it we would still be thinking that women are not equal to men. Oh, hold on a second, of course they are not, they are much better 🙂

chas – of course it doesn’t matter what we, the fans, want or think. The blog is to vent our frustrations and magnify the joys or even misery. As didit said is therapeutic, people just don’t know it.

Plus, I admire your loyalty and integrity, but cannot understand why you are not angry with Wenger, no matter what piss poor performance they display, but you get rattled by other bloggers (me) being angry?? Why does it even bother you?

Morning all. Interesting debate. I recall 2-3 former Wenger players, (who all generally speak highly of him), state that he doesn’t really do tactics but prefers the players to work it out themselves. The great teams we put out from his arrival till say 2005 were hugely down to Arsene and his ability to see the right player and their potential before anyone else and get them.

I actually believe this bit about AW not believing too much in tactics, from what I see in our team on a consistent basis, and I actually feel he is very wrong about it. Over the last 10 years I feel the game has undergone a subtle change, whereby just having the superior players all trained in AW’s trademark technical way, is now not enough. It seems to me that the game requires this and attention to more detail and tactics now if you want to be at the top end of things.

I actually don’t think Arsene has regressed but just stood still while other managers have caught up and gone past him by embracing the other factors that Arsene doesn’t. I don’t think that Arsene doesn’t understand the tactical side to things, and couldn’t pay attention to it if he wants to, but actually just chooses to decide that it is not that relevant.

I actually still believe he could win us the EPL if he alters his thinking slightly but hasn’t and more importantly has shown no inclination to do so over the last few seasons. I still believe he is one of the best at seeing the potential in players but I don’t think he is able to mould the squad he assembles into a title winning one, purely because he is not dotting certain i’s and crossing certain t’s.

I do also question some of his recent recruitments, not on an individual basis in terms of quality or individual potential, but more because I feel he recruits according to what type of player he prefers rather than what the team really needs to balance it.

142. 343 has been pretty radical and effective. Personally, i would like to see us move away from this insistence that Ozil can only play as a 10 as it holds us back defensively and doesnt provide enough going forward to warrant its use.

If you look at the 2 sides above us, they both manage to play creative players in wide positions using different methods (Chelsea 343 with Hazard and Pedro free to come central and create/Spurs in a 4231 with Eriksen playing from the left and Alli being a more team orientated number 10). Both have defensive records that are far better than ours and both score decent amounts of goals.

Chelsea 51/17
    Spurs 46/16
    Arsenal 52/28

Our goalscoring return is not enough to say that playing Ozil as a 10 is working. We would be better using him off the side of a front 3 and letting him roam and then using another midfielder ie Ramsey or Ox in the middle.

I believe if we had Xhaka and Coquelin as a base in the same way Chelsea use Matic/Kante and Spurs use Dembele/Wanyama then we would still be able to score the goals needed whilst keeping a much better defensive shape.

Its the small things that make the difference at this level.

Women are better than men……especially women with mens names 🙂

Arnie, you great bearded optimist 🙂 I am not sure whether I read this correctly but based on some prior comments of yours I think you feel that Arsene and Arsenal are trying for something new and innovative that others don’t have the vision or bravery to entertain and try.

If my assumption is correct then I would have to say that I see it from the entire polar opposite that it is others who are trying for new and different things but that we are stuck in doing the same things time and time again even when it is showing not to work, hence a consistency over a few seasons of where our failures lie.

I know this is one of the things that most frustrates me because I feel we consistently fail due to the same repetitive mistakes when both Wenger and the squad we have are entirely capable of rectifying these failings and potentially turning us into serious title contenders.

If my assumption on your thoughts is entirely incorrect Arnie then feel free to remonstrate with me and vent your spleen in my general direction 🙂

FGG, I almost entirely agree with you, and often find I do. The only caveat I have is whether it is right to shift Ozil from a free central role. I think a system needs to be built that gets the best out of him rather than him adjust to a different system.

I still feel the top teams create the system that compliments their key players strengths. It is what I feel Conte has done at Chelsea. He saw what wasn’t working and tactically changed the system and formation to get the best out of his key players.

I feel we have 2 choices :

Either feel we find the system that most compliments our best players, with as you say some players and positions (such as the DM 2) being set up purely to let this happen, regardless of whether there is a more technical option for certain positions.

I don’t feel we have been doing this well enough but Conte was adaptable enough to do it and has seemingly nailed it. The likely result of this change in his formation is Chelsea as EPL title winners. For me that is mostly all that sets Arsenal and Chelsea and our fortunes apart as I feel our quality of player and squad depth are not too far apart.

The other option is to have a favoured formation but make sure that we bring in the players that make it work better, but this likely requires wholesale changes. For the record I don’t think Ozil suits the 4-3-3 and would need to be dropped in this formation because there will be better options.

For the purpose of this season I feel we should be doing the former. Beyond that I could see a massive shake up in the squad with a significant amount of ins and outs as we almost, to some degree, press the reset button and start again. I do feel this will likely be in the instance of a new manager arriving.

145. Red Arnie says:

GoonerB. You may be surprised to learn that your position is not that much different from mine. 🙂

I think Arsene tried some new things in Arsenal, with some success, and I am grateful for that. But I am immensely frustrated as well that he feels that he is just this little bit away from achieving greater laurels with his “way”. Which may be true, but it is just not happening. And like many other fans, I am impatient.

Other managers have tried new things in their clubs as well. And some have been successful. I admire some of them, purely as managers, not individuals. Like Gourd ‘Ola and Maureen. I think it may be time to bring fresh blood in.

However, here is where I shudder to tink of the counterfactual. I much rather prefer:

“Arsene Who”, who came to Arsenal and tried new things, and was moderately successful

to:

Vandal came to Arsenal and tried his Dutch way at the Arsenal with moderate success.

Indications are that a succession plan might be in place. Bonkers was widely expected to leave in the summer, but the club must have told him something, so he stayed. We dont know what that thing may be, except that Henry was shown the way and Bergkamp welcomed in. Would it be vandal. Somehow, I dont like the idea!

146. Red Arnie says:

Nice thoughts, FGG. 🙂

Eddie. How about a woman manager? I would be all for it! 🙂

147. fatgingergooner says:

GB,

If the 433 doesnt work with Ozil wide then for me, it would make sense to go 4312.

Cech
    Bellerin Mustafi Kos Monreal
    Coq Elneny Xhaka
    Ozil
    Welbeck Sanchez

That way we could use our full backs for width, something they are decent at, and still have enough protection if players get caught upfield.

Before I pop off to let you all enjoy the blog without all this carp bolleux 🙂 I would say further that in a 3-4-3 with our current squad we could line up with Kos, Mustaffi and Gabriel, with Holding as back up. Don’t forget also that Chambers seems to be progressing very well in his loan spell.

Bellerin would take the right sided role with AOC as an option. I would agree on Coq and Xhaka centre as one good option but would plump for the quicker Gibbs over Monreal on the left. Could be an area of required upgrade to make it an effective 3-4-3.

The front 3 would be Sanchez up top, (Giroud, Perez and Danny as options), Danny to the left (AOC and Iwobi as options), and Perez to the right (AOC, Danny and Theo as options). Leaves no room for Ozil, or Rambo really, and probably needs 1-2 high quality additions in some areas to be top notch with other big players going the other way.

I am increasingly thinking we will not retain Sanchez and Ozil anyway so will likely need to get as much wonger for them as possible and hit the restart. Where when they first came a few seasons back I saw it as the start of a new fresh dawn, I am now almost starting to view them as part of a failed period that should have reaped so much more. I think even they are probably psychologically tainted by it now, and it is probably best for them and us that the slate is wiped clean and a new fresh approach with different players is sought.

Catch you all later, thanks for chewing the fat with me fatty and beardy 🙂

150. GB – I really like the 3-4-3 game plan and I think we’ve always had either one or other wing back able to fit that system. As you say we now have Bellerin and Gibbs, both very capable defenders and both have attacking flare.

No room for an Ozil or Ramsey though and that’s the quandary because AW wants them too 😉

151. ArseneAround? says:

Highly over paid pundit Alan Shearer says Chelsea bossed Arsenal…with 41% of the possession? and it wasn’t a foul on Bellerin (!!???!!) I almost mused ‘bring back Alan Hanson’ !

152. wally says:

Whether it was a foul or not is pointless, excuse making. We didn’t create enough opportunities to deserve to win.
    I think the discussion of tactics with the same manager is a waste of time. I used to think it was tactics (and to a degree it is) but the larger picture is the manager himself.
    This team does the same thing every year for the last 6, 7, 8 years. We fall apart in and around February, dropping points one year to minnows, next year to the big boys, lose badly in the CL, recover
    to win a meaningless 2nd leg and then wobble on to the edge of the top four without ever really challenging. It’s Grounghog day all over again.
    Earlier this year i penned a piece where i opined that i thought the team’s personality, given a lack of leadership, had adopted the personality of the manager.
    Yesterday’s post match interview was indicative of that personality and it was a shambles. ‘We lack experience, we lacked quality’ wtf is that. The only one on that field that lacked experience was Iwobi and he certainly wasn’t the problem. That’s more excuse making by wenger. Has anyone ever seen or heard Wenger hold himself accountable? I can’t recall one, and it certainly isn’t a standard that you hear him or Gazidis talk much about.
    If he can’t be honest with himself i certainly doubt he’s honest with the players and from there i doubt the players can be honest with themselves about their performance.
    An entire change of culture is required. Is there risk involved in such a move? Undoubtedly. But no one would argue that our talent isn’t good enough to win the league. Even the pundits agree with that point. And if it’s not talent…
    Sometimes you need to get worse in order to get better

153. wally says:

As for a women manager why not. As long as it’s someone like that porn star that got elected as a MP in Italy. A month long care-taker role while they find another.
    We could use a month’s worth of laughs.

154. Excellent points Wally. I and others have said for a while that the manager chooses players(men) in his own image. Gentlemen.

I’ll volunteer to do a month 🙂

Hi Wally, yours is one of several comments I’ve read today that have resonated with me.

The last 2 games were pretty poor, and yet we’ve been through it all before. I don’t quite understand why this time, it actually feels like the end is nigh … but it does.

The excuses are lame. We have a group of talented individuals who are less than their sum when formed into the team. It should be the other way round. It’s not that I’m spoilt or have a sense of entitlement, it’s our failure to address (or even recognise) failings that could be rectified by a change of culture and training methods.

156. ArseneAround says:

Further positive spin on yesterday …the two games v chelski this season gave the arse’ a 4_3 aggregate win! and just think how the laws of football commensurate red card for Alonso would have would have altered the outcome , the Wenger era supersedes, without question ,what went before though I take Wally’s points

Napoleon once said I would rather have a lucky general than a brilliant one!

AA …. Chelsea radically changed the shape of their team after we beat them …. can you see us doing the same?

158. Aaron says:

So, a few observations.

The formation was wrong, the set up, the mix or whatever everyone wishes to call it- Wengers hands were tied.

Your DAMN straight that first goal changed the game. One of our best players got completely smashed and the team did not do….anything. A bush league team (normal) with an inkling of fighting spirit would have razed the field with chav bodies-period.

Think back to the “Invincibles” sqaud and place in your memory Jens complete wipeout of someone who came flying into the box. I am not advocating pure violence, that is for other sports, but for goodness sake, you take out our best player and you will know you played the Arsenal.

Leave my feet, heck yes I would leave my feet, anyone with any “futbolling” soul would have licked their lips at the thought of haZard running from 60 meters on to goal and go straight through him like water or slide tackle him into the next dimension. This sanitized version of futbol has got to stop, Arsenal can’t play nice every game!
    (Think Patriots as they have a different game plan for each team every week)

There were a few moments of technical brilliance, the passes that set up Mesut to score, which he should have. The cross to Gabriel for an easy head down to score, he should have. The game was still there to snatch, but this Arsenal could not muster it.
    Let’s be clear about other coaches too, it is not like $h*tty, pool, spuds, or manure are lighting up the league, they all just barely edged it this weekend, and that is the way it is in the EPL- gd tough futbol with moments of brilliance from the top teams.

There is still much to play for and I will cheer for my team no matter what, and that is a big what with stan the man.

ArseneArpund 🙂 I think you have just upset 2 regulars here 🙂 Rasp doesn’t believe in luck and DidIt passionately dislikes all that is French.

wally makes very good points, good man

GB – forget it, you cannot have women and footballers in the same team. For all the obvious reasons.

I’m not upset 🙂

Wenger has to go, I think he has realised that too. What is sad that instead of leaving on a high note as the best manager ever he is risking leaving as the most hated one. I could never hate him, but there are plenty fans who do

Aaron – Hazard made us look like fools. I am sure chavs are replaying the video of that goal over and over again. I know I would if I was them

hi sweetie, ok then only DidIt will be upset, ok now?

you is a liar, I was told by a little birdie that you are VERY upset, very very upset and swearing

163. Red Arnie says:

Rasp. We altered our game radically after last season’s performance away against the Chavs. Right? 🙂

164. Red Arnie says:

somehow, I am not down at all and quite enjoying the bolleaux. 🙂

you should be arnie. with almost 2/3 of the season gone we are 4th, just about. And next week we have BM away. There is no reason for you not to be down.

I said I wasn’t upset with AA Eddie, I was upset about yesterday’s game

I’m not upset 🙂

I’m not down either 🙂

169. Red Arnie says:

Eddie. I am looking forward to the BM double header. What’s not to feel excited about? No pressures really, just looking forward to two excellent games. 🙂

Hey Eddie

Not that I thought before yesterday’s game that we would win the league, but now that we’re 12 points adrift, any remaining burden of expectation or hope has evaporated

I care not whether we end up 2nd or 6th. Don’t particularly want 5th, but otherwise, simply not bothered at all.

Are there any women managers of top’ish flight football teams anywhere in the world?

Oh Dear Lord, do not google as you get images, and No4 will definitely make gentlemen utter nasty inappropriate sexist words like wot our two women here do when discussing the Hull manager 🙂

173. Red Arnie says:

I agree, Didit, except that for me 4th place trophy is better than not! 🙂

No women managers? all the more reason we should get one! We want an unknown manager anyway! So no harm done. 🙂

micky – what did you google? I googled women football managers images and can see nothing appaling on my screen

see, you don’t care if we finish 2nd or 6th. Same here. And that is really bad, indifference is the killer of any relationship.

In Terry’s style – my ex knew it was over when I stopped answering back, couldn’t be arsed

I think she’d make an excellent manager, Arnie. Equal ops and all that. 100% in favour. Thumbs up, chocks away and so forth.

Something tells me Transplant would have an alternative explanation

178. Red Arnie says:

yes! come on Dan Evans!!

Mmmm, indifference Eddie. Maybe you’re on to something.

Nahh, I was never in love with Arsenal in the first place. I’m in the clear. As you were.

180. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha, Micky. 🙂

Just popped on to show you a schedule I prepared showing two 20 year comparisons of our managers during my years of supporting Arsenal.

The first 5 won zero trophies.
    AW has won 3 league championships, 6 FA Cups and 6 Charity Shields.

I never hated any of them but I Love Arsene.

Manager – Yrs – W – D – L – Pos –
    – – – – – –
    Crayston – 2 – 37 – 15 – 32 – 8.50 –
    Swindin – 4 – 67 – 39 – 62 – 9.25 –
    Wright – 4 – 64 – 41 – 63 – 10.50 –
    Neil – 7 – 127 – 87 – 80 – 6.00 –
    Howe – 3 – 57 – 27 – 42 – 6.67 –

Total – 20 – 352 – 209 – 279 – 8.19 –
    – – – – –
    Wenger – 20.4 – 776 – 448 – 193 – 2.89 –

Oops Wenger’s stats are W 448, D193, L135

I was madly in love with Arsenal. Arsene, Thierry and everything that had AFC on it. Gosh, that was pathetic. I remember one day being upset just by my own thinking that Wenger could die one day. I was seriously considering going to his funeral in France…I’d better stop, I am a better person now. Would not make a nuisance of myself, just send some flowers

so what are you saying GN5 – that Wenger should sign another contract? Or that you want him to sign it, what is it?

Eddie, I agree with Chas and I offer no opinion – simply the facts!

I lived through one 20 year period that was dour and we had no hope of winning anything and the another that exceeded my expectations – and we still play football that is great to watch but it obviously has its ups and downs.

Our current team lacks power, height and strength.

…and a captain?

I agree we also need leadership.

Having said that both Aguero and Hazard are midgets that I would love to see on our team.

Egypt 1-0 Cameroon – Elneny scores opener in Afcon final

Now THAT is some good news indeed. MoEl 🙂

192. wally says:

Peaches, PEACHES!!!

Your offer is noted with as much decorum as I can muster! It sets one’s imagination to running wild.

AA will never be the same.

193. fatgingergooner says:

Lets say we get a new manager next season and after spending a £100m in the summer and shuffling the squad we end up in the top 4 and without a trophy. What should the club do then? Sack the new manager and repeat every year until we win something? All the other clubs seem to follow this system so is this what we want at Arsenal?

194. Red Arnie says:

FGG. we are different, and we have class! we dont follow the numpties. or ejeets, as the case may be! 🙂

whenever the next manager arrives, I would like him or her to have a guaranteed tenure of at least 5 years.

195. fatgingergooner says:

Red Arnie,

That’s not really the way football works these days though unfortunately. Once Wenger goes, it will be 3 year tenure tops, and that’s only if they are successful. We will become another stop on the manager merry-go-round. Scary thought but its inevitable I guess.

196. Red Arnie says:

dont think its inevitable, FGG. But highly likely. If any club can retain some sense on this mad mad world of splash money and gain instant gratification, it can be only the Arsenal. I retain hope. 🙂

No medal for Elneny 😦

198. VP of Oz says:

Wow! I was really impressed with what Gary Neville had to say about Arsene vs. everyone else. And I agree with him.

Arsenal Arsenal

arnie. We are not different and we have as much class as most other football clubs. I agree that over years some outfits like chavs and spurs cleaned up their act and gained some respect.

Take away your ‘we are different. We have class’ and you end up with a club that is like many others struggling to stay in top four. Nothing special about it.

Yes, we love it and we support it, but so do millions of spuds and chavs, and Crystal Palace, and West Ham, and Milwall and Watford, and QPR…have I missed any London clubs?

The fake grandiosity is unclassy, me thinks

Morning VP and Eddie

Eddie, when you can field a team with three players having double barrelled names, you going to come across a little snobbish

Mind you, we’ve often had the odd Lord in the box, and even an Archbishop as something or other. Then there is the Queen and Prince Harry.

Actually, I’m quite surprised any lefties at all follow The Arsenal 🙂

I think what Arnie is referring to is style rather than class

And that we still retain as a club, although I fear less and less so as fans

exactly micky, the lefties following multi millionnaires working for fun less than 5 hours a day and driving cars worth more than school teacher’s/nurse’s house and earning more a year than the whole population of Bangladesh…disgusting.

Gary Neville the pundit is great, I love him. BUT it is pretty obvious why he became such a defender of Wenger. Gary N know how difficult it is to manage a club and how if feels to have your own fans turning against you.

I would never criticise Wenger publically, but here amongst like minded people (or is it just micky?) I can vent my frustration. Callgher and O’Neill were there too having a valid opinion which is very much my way of thinking. Watch it again VP and stop cherry picking lad

I am serious – what is that about class/style/different? Is it something from the past era? before I started supporting the AFC?

204. Red Arnie says:

Eddie. I respect your opinion, and I respectfully beg to differ. 🙂

Micky. snobbish? only a little? 🙂 Lefties? who? 🙂

you arnie, leftie academic

No, they won’t do as an answer. Please tell me why you think we are different and classy? Honest question, no hidden agenda. I genuinely don’t know

POST SENT

Style is most important Eddie, and Arsenal give metal cannons and shit like that to other clubs 🙂

I’ve got it! Noone can tell me why we are different and why we call ourselves classy, but we are. Makes sense 🙂

come on dogs, walkies…

209. VP of Oz says:

Eddie, I used to go cherry picking with my parents many decades ago. Not sure when I was cherry picking with Gary Neville, all I said was that I agree with him.
    Need to get his transcript and have a read me thinks…

210. Found it Micky, thank you, back in a bit

Morning my classy friends 🙂

211. We have a New Post ………………

212. aa says:

It’s amazing to pay a visit this web page and reading the views of all colleagues about this piece of writing, while
    I am also eager of getting familiarity.