Did Arsenal bid for Barton?

Seems ages since we last played. Imagine how it is for teams that don’t have European football like Chelsea and Liverpool.

But … does this really give them an advantage.? Well, it is said, justifiably, that the table does not lie.

Unknown.jpeg

We have two home games ahead of the Chavs away, Burnley and Watford. You would think an automatic 6 points but it never is, is it? We know what to expect – 10 men behind the ball, an aggressive (read violent) midfield, and our boys reduced to ticky-tacky.

I quite understand why Burnley will play this way, their away form is terrible with just 3 goals scored in 9 games and but one point. Why would they take the risk of attacking us and getting hammered?

Yet Burnley sit 10th in the PL. One hell of an achievement considering the size  of Burnley which has a population roughly equivalent to todays attendance at The Emirates.

Thinking of Burnley’s midfield …  Joey Barton.  Here is a fine example of the genetic aberrations which result from Northern family inbreeding. Can you recall Gervinho’s first game for us in which he received a red card after being attacked by Barton? I loved AW’s rebuttal of Barton’s claims that we tried to sign him – hilarious. What a preposterous idea that just because Barton wanted to join AFC that Mr. Wenger would let him!!

My Team:

Cech

Bellerin    Mustafi    Koscielny    Monreal

Ramsey    Xhaka     Iwobi

Ozil     Giroud   Sanchez.

We will need some height and strength upfront because Burnley are sure to sit deep.

Unknown-1.jpeg

A few long-distance shots today, please. And an early goal would be delightful. As would a first half with all 11 players awake (unlike our last few games).

We have to win this one, I think we will

Let it be So.

COYRRG

124 Responses to Did Arsenal bid for Barton?

Cheers, BR.
    Micky’s not going to be happy you’ve gone for EFF up top. 😳

Must win game today. Early goal, couple more before half time.
    Failing that, a spawny deflection involving The Ox And Kos in the last minute will do.

Looking forward to seeing the cheeky view at Cuffley.

2. Ant says:

Cracking, BR. Joey Barton was as likely as Troy Deeney….media drivel. I don’t envy the Burnley fans travelling down from Scotland.

3. Red Arnie says:

Nice one, Raddy. 🙂

Yes, it seems like an eternity to me at least, particularly because I was on sabbatical.

“the genetic aberrations which result from Northern family inbreeding: 🙂

4. Red Arnie says:

Chas. who cares about the happiness of the serial apologists? 🙂

5. Red Arnie says:

Oi Ant! dont foulmouth poor Sconny Botland. The Scots have nothing to do with Burnley. 🙂

Joey Barton — genetic aberration…………brilliant.

The team selection is a bit more of a puzzle than meets the eye.

Every player that you have chosen up there really should start but it doesn’t work because you cannot waste Ozil out wide and if you put Ramsey out there you only have Xhaka and Iwobi as midfield cover which is too light. And simply putting Iwobi out on the right flank has never worked well.

One of those up there has to move to the bench to allow Oxlaide-Chamberlain to play on the right for balance.

Should be interesting to see how Wenger solves this Rubik Cube.

Red. Fine days sport. One dayer in India then the Arsenal.

8. VP of Oz says:

hmmm, the chas “cheeky” comment about Eddie mooning at Chufley followed by Ant’s comment “cracking”…

LB
    Isn’t left forward position Iwobi’s strongest?
    I think it is.

LB. I see your point. I believe Mr Wenger is developing a very fluid formation which allows Iwobi and Ozil to “float”, Ramsey is the water carrier and Xhaka sits deeper.

When playing at home to a team who are sure to PTB why use two defensive MF’s or have a pacy winger?

Ah, penny’s dropped.
    Sanchez left if EFF playing.
    Why can’t Iwobi play on the right?

12. Red Arnie says:

Re Iwobi and Ozil and Rambo

Following on from Micky’s post a few days back, I dont think we play position football. We play our strongest team and let the personnel rotate and find their best positions., within reason.

usually it works, and sometimes it fails spectacularly

that’s my bolleaux anyways. 🙂

VP
    Chufley pumpkin 🎃 is about to reveal its inner secrets

14. Ant says:

Butt what about Chuffley

15. Ant says:

I love a floater

Beardy
    I think you’re right and that’s why GoonerB doesn’t like it when players move 10 yards out of their nominated position.
    Shoehorning and all that.

17. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha VP and Chas. 🙂

18. chas mobile says:

In da pub 😆

19. Cheers Raddy

Will be leaving for the game soon myself. Love the Ant & Duck show. Reminds me of happy memories I never had.

Let’s not be arrogant, but after todays victory and then beating Watford we will be in a great place after hammering Chelsea to go on and win the league

One game at a time? Bollox. By the end of February I expect us to be top.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring

Thanks Raddy …. Barton …euchhh!!

Sadly I think your assessment of Burnley’s only tactical option is spot on. We’ve seen that teams like this don’t panic and continue to waste time when 1 nil down … I guess the logic is that they can still nick a draw. 2 or 3 nil up at half time will change their gameplan .. but it could still be damage limitation rather trying to peg us back I guess.

So let’s take our chances. Welbeck to score at some point is my only prediction 🙂

Great train trip this morning I’d need a hole in the seat if I drank all that beer, you must both have oversized bladders.

So far this morning (starting at 12:30 am) I’ve watched Andy Murray lose and Roger Federer win in Australia and the first half of The Southampton/Leicester game – I’ll catch up on some sleep after the Arsenal game. After my nap I plan to watch two NFL Conference Championship games – it’s a tough old life…….

Another fine pre match, thank you Raddy.

I believe (hope) that he will start with Danny in today’s line up and I would also like to see Perez.

23. fred1266 says:

No bellerin how come

Rasp, Chas put up charts recently that showed that various delay tactics could add to to a lost 15/20 minutes of game time – so bus defense teams will gladly take a few yellow cards. I cannot remember any team ending up losing a player to a red card by delay tactics – except the dodgy one given to Van Persie in the CL.

Cech, Gabriel, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal, Ramsey, Xhaka, Iwobi, Ozil, Sanchez, Giroud.

Subs: Gibbs, Lucas Perez, Ospina, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Welbeck, Bellerin, Coquelin

Hi GN5, I agree. Rotational fouling and ‘team timewasting’ should all be punishable … but probably retrospectively after the event and so may not do that much to stamp it out during the game. I am not against the sin bin idea, and timewasting could be one of the infringements to result in a spell on the sidelines.

27. Red Arnie says:

10 out of 11, Raddy. 🙂 Gabriel, not Bellerin. Interesting.

COYG

Thanks Erik

“We have to win this one, I think we will”….yip and yip.

I guess everyone on here agrees with you and Arsene that the only solution against the bus is hoof ball. I don’t.

There are always always always moments against these teams when counter opportunities exist. They may be few, but the answer is speed.

As always, pray for the early two goals to open things up.

Arnie
    I think Arsene is still easing Bell back. If he was 100% I reckon he’d start

Oh, and Gabriel frees Iwobi from too many defensive duties which is good

Plus Gabriel adds more steel to our defense than Bellerin but is a lot slower which can always be a problem.

And we will play with a Back 3! The much desired 3-5-2

Or will Mustafi become the Sweerper/Libero? The new Beckenbauer

3 at the back?
    Do you make this shit up Erik? 🙂 🙂

Do you mind me calling you Erik, Erik?

No bus. Burnley playing well. Should make for a good game.

Or is this a false dawn?

Why would I, Micky? I am Erik the Red & White

agree, good stuff so far

Strange half. 14 shots and yet Heaton fairly untroubled.

Should have started with Danny and had Ollie on at 70 mins

who the hell is Olzil

41. fred1266 says:

I think you meant start with Perez

Clear penalty not given.

yes yes yes

Bloody hell., that was stupid of Xhaka. Completely unnecessary.

Could Eddie be right about him?

45. wally says:

Fucking idiot. It isn’t the first time. He just doesn’t get it does he. Wouldn’t dress him for a month and then glue his ass to bench.

Eddie was fooking right about xhaka, a lose cannon that will cost us dearly

Wally
    I reckon with Coq fit again, you will be right

Could have waited until he was on the stretcher before giving the yellow 🙂

49. fred1266 says:

Was hoping for a red

50. wally says:

Mustafi yellow? moss has got the heart of a lion, makes all the brave calls doesn’t he. 🙄

Good job it was sanchez 😆😆😆

how can you not like this
    superb

You don’t care about more grey hairs

that was a brilliant last 10 minutes wow wow wow
    2nd 🙂

Phew.

2 red cards. When was the last time?

Both England in the cricket and AFC take it right to the wire.

Fantastic 15 mins of sport.

57. fatgingergooner says:

Great win in a very tough game. Couple of things:-

Wenger needs to react better to situations like today. The sulking is pathetic and doesn’t translate well to players or fans. It was a clear pen with Coquelin. Just deal with it like a man and not some moaning child. Pisses me off.

Xhaka needs to sort himself out. He’s an excellent player who could fit in really well to our system, but he’s going to become a liability if he carries on. This is nothing new (his record in Germany was bad) and it worries me that he’s not learning his lesson. He doesn’t try to hurt players or do anything totally crazy, but he just does enough to give refs a decision to make, and with his reputation they are going to reach for the red more often than not.

Sanchez pen was a joy and his delight at the end will get no press coverage but should be remembered by the fans the next time he sulks for being subbed.

Second in the league and still playing average football in my eyes. IF we can find form then who knows what can happen but we need to start making things a bit easier for ourselves.

We’ve had a few bad decisions this season but we’ve also had at least 2 last minute pens and plenty of others too. I just wish Arsene would learn to take the rough with the smooth!

Phew indeed!!

I used to think we were overloaded with DM/CMs … now we’re down to our last 2. We need Coquelin and Ramsey to stay fit that’s for sure … but a vital 3 points and just console yourselves by imagining those poor deluded totnum fans who were going crazy when Burnley scored their penalty 🙂 🙂 🙂

fattie – a few weeks ago YOU asked me what is there not to like about xhaka. Now you know, he is not right in the head

60. Aaron says:

That was utterly ridiculous, the refereeing was horrendous.

Other teams get away with 10+ fouls-no cards. Watched the pool game the other day and player grabs Firmino’s shirt on total fast break and only gets yellow.
    Now Xhaka goes in to get the ball back after bad pass, and surely gets the guy with 1 foot, no last man, no real danger, and receives a red from the linesman.

I have seen it all now, almost.

7 minutes of injury time, another crappy call goes our way, and the Arsenal win..

But lose Xhaka for 4 games for his 1st foul of game, Mustafi for yelling at ref for the foul on him, and Arsene for the bust up with the linesman..
    Losing our heads, please, what kind of futbol have many of you super refs have played? Really?
    The stuff is timid, if you want that much of a sanitized version of futbol, go watch powder puff football for goodness sakes!

61. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie.

That’s the frustration, because football-wise he’s fantastic and really suits the way we play, but he just does silly things that are totally avoidable. Hope he learns before it’s too late.

62. fatgingergooner says:

Aaron,

Everyone knows football is pathetic, but as a player you have to adjust to it and stay within the laws of the game. If Xhaka doesn’t go in like he did then the ref has no decision to make. Simple.

hello Hull manager 🙂

64. fatgingergooner says:

Come off it Eddie! I don’t care if it’s Brad Pitt, the words ‘Hull Manager’ automatically makes him hideous! 😄

65. Oooooooh that was soooooo exciting…….Arsenal win, last minute penalty, Alexis the hero what’s not to like 😁😁😁😁😁

66. The ref was a plank but surely we know by now the ref is always going to help the other team.

We should have scored six in the first half and then there wouldn’t been so many tempers on show….. including Arsene’s 🙂

67. And a goal for Mustafi who clearly deserves one

68. And we’re 2nd 🙂

Fattie😂😂

Are you happy Peacges😂😂

71. Very happy Eddie 😂😂😂

Peaches
    check hull manager

73. I’m on the train Eddie, is he tall dark and very handsome?

74. chas mobile says:

Never in doubt.

The ref tried to steal 2 points from us but was so incompetent he couldn’t even manage that.

Red card, my arse. What a load of bollocks.

75. fatgingergooner says:

Eddie must be 4 feet if he’s classed as tall! 😂

I’m 168, he us 180. Cm not pounds

My day will be complete when Chas, Ant or Peaches describe in gloating detail of a fan storming out after Burnley equalise on 93

If they were hurling abuse at the same time, all the better 🙂

Ramsey my MotM. He is getting his mojo back.

And as ever, Koscielny was superb. Best CB we have had since Sol.

Burnley player behind saying, ‘we paid you, you bastard, then you do that’

Chas – the penalty against Coquelin was absolutely correct.

Contempt is what that tosser deserves

90. fred1266 says:

Can someone please tell me what going on I stop watching affordable the pen was given but my highlights sky it 2-1

91. fred1266 says:

Dawn so who we really won

Apart from the penalty on Mustafi which wasn’t given, I thought the ref was correct with the big decisions.

Both pens and the sending off were correctly judged.

93. fred1266 says:

But Mustafi should have had a pen

94. Aaron says:

Big Raddy,
    Apart from the 10 + fouls and no cards given to a tactic of serial fouling, the ref got everything correct?
    The foul on Mesut at 18+mph, with intent should have been straight red.
    Come on mate, when does the Arsenal get a break from this type of constant fouling to change the game?
    Please spare me the play within the rules bit that is espoused by Wengergal on Arseblog…lol
    It is a tactic that the refs refuse to acknowlege- plain and simple.

95. fatgingergooner says:

The ref missed the pen on Mustafi and more bookings should’ve been given for rotational fouling, but it was a definite pen with Coquelin and I can see why he sent Xhaka off (if it was Barton tackling one of ours like that I’d want a red). Ultimately though we got a pen when Kos was offside and it was a little bit soft so I’m happy.

There is something in drafts, it needs pics, change the title if you want and publish whenever.

Thrilling stuff that.

chavs 8 point ahead of us. Cannot see them dropping too many points. Damn.

Still, very good considering the inconsistencies of our team

does anybody know how to sound proof a ceiling?

Empty cardboard chicken eggs boxes work well, Eddie

Inconsistencies?

We’re very consistent, especially when it come to team selection 🙂

i think I need something more professional than egg boxes stuck to the ceiling, wouldn’t look very nice, would it?

the longest unbeaten run this season was sept/October, 7 wins on the trot. Hardly amazing.

I’m holding back until I see the LB points ratings

Eddie
    Underlay beneath the carpet in room above is the other answer 🙂

Chas
    Guardian link to article about Trump. Yip, will be clicking on that! 🙂

NEW POST

Yes, I can see why it wouldn’t be your cup of tea, though it is brilliantly written and more about Gove.