Petr Cech makes a point

Oh boy, what a difference a few days makes in Arsenal world. From heroes on Wednesday night to zeroes by Saturday afternoon.

Arsenal twitter was best avoided yesterday evening and it’s entirely possible that no-one will be bothered to want to comment about the game today. But there are things to say …….

Petr Cech kept us in the game and saved us the embarrassment of a possible home defeat. He looked like he meant business from the start following on from Ospina’s fine display the other night. Competition is good.

Boro didn’t actually come to play football but as luck would have it (their luck that is) we couldn’t resist giving them a couple of opportunities to try and score. Cech’s agility was amazing and many stood and applauded his fine saves. The very experienced Valdes also kept Boro in the game.

So what was wrong with our team? No Cazorla we know from last season upsets the balance in midfield. I felt that both Elneny and Coquelin were too static, they seemed to be protecting each other and so there was no fluidity through midfield which slowed down the attack.

The pacy thrusting runs of late just weren’t there. Alexis was hampered and maybe this was a game for Giroud as many high balls were played over the top.

Everyone seemed tired, although Theo was lively but couldn’t add any goals and Mesut just didn’t want to score yesterday 😉

Parked buses always present us with a big problem and the longer we go in a game without scoring the more difficult it gets. If only we could put away a couple of early chances …………

But ……… hey ho, We Are Top Of The League …….. if only for a few hours ……. so we really mustn’t complain 🙂

Written by peachesgooner

57 Responses to Petr Cech makes a point

1. VP of Oz says:

As Ozil scored in the last few minutes of extra time, I was cheering and jumping with joy but then I watched the replay highlight the solidity and discipline in the Boro defence pushing Ozil off-side, 1 minute later, same again as Theo’s failed attempt was offside as well.
    A great game in the discipline of frustration.
    Perez did well, Eleny shows depth…
    Onwards

Thanks peaches, I must say I’m glad I couldn’t get a ticket for this one. A positive is that the crowd were largely supportive I hear, when in the past they may have got on the player’s backs.

I haven’t seen much of the game so am not qualified to comment really except to say that the balance of the side was lost when Cazorla (and maybe Xhaka) were missing – we need to find a ‘Balance B’

…. BTW, what is really going on with Giroud’s toe – or I there more to it as one or two rumours suggest …. has he been a bad boy?

4. TotalArsenal says:

Cheers Peaches 🙂

Cech won us a point yesterday and it is so good to have a solid goalie… or two.

There is no way we will win them all regardless who are selected for the first eleven, and if fellow Gooners are complaining then so be it. After the midweek bonus game we will have to show our character by bouncing back against sorry Sunderland. This now becomes a big game for us.

I reckon any team that cannot use Ramsey, Giroud and Welbeck in attack will sooner or later suffer a bit. That is football and let’s hope we will bounce back high on Saturday.

I have to say I am not so stoic. How to play against a PTB team is an old, old problem and one we continue to struggle with. We beat Burnley with a last minute goal and seemed to be relying on similar yesterday.

Why can’t we shoot from distance? The only person who tried was Sanchez which brought out a world from Valdez. We have to mix our type of attack in order to present doubt in the mids of the defence.Tippy happy and crosses are not always going to work especially given the lack of height in the team.

The plan to sit deeper and allow Boro to attack almost worked a couple of times and perhaps conceding more possession may have helped.

But FairPlay to Boro, they played well. Arsenal did not create a single clear cut chance – there was not even a Ohhhh Theo moment.

thanks Peaches! your post captures my mood. Add to it Raddy’s comment and I feel like amongst friends again.

Normally I would not give a damn about a draw against an exceptionally good on the day team, but the repetition of the situation from the past seasons is just soul destroying. We are almost there, fantastic team, beautiful football etc etc and nothing to show for it. This day and age when we have fierce opposition from 4-5 teams we cannot afford to drop points casually. Every point counts.

So unless Wenger is REALLY going after the CL, he fucked up in my opinion. I don’t buy into the theory that players get tired so early in the season, but the facts are against me. We have seen drop in form from one game to the next if they are played in the same week.
    Some players obviously need more rest than others.

Wenger is the expert, he spent all his life perfecting his managerial skills, his knowledge of the game. He earned many, many millions to perform, so how come we still lose points in stupid games??

yesterday mix was wrong, I felt wrong, it was not a great pleasure to watch. I have no idea how to fix that, but Wenger should know

and one more thing – I remember from my conversation with Szcz’s friend that Wojtek was at home at 2-3pm, would have lunch, nap, chill out, go out, back in training at 8am. WHY?? Surely players body clocks are used to getting up early, performing in the morning during the training and slumping in the early afternoon. So if players are doing this every day except for the match days 3pm kick off coincides with their nap time.

Why do they have to start at 8am, why not mimic the actual times of the games, ie 3pm, 8pm, 5:30pm? make them train the hardest around 3pm so that their bodies will be well used to the routine

This is just to show how important it is to use capital letters.
    …………………………………………………………………………………………..

Dear people who type in all lower case,

We are the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Sincerely,

Capital Letters.

9. wally says:

Full credit to boro. They defended bravely and created some great chances. Fair result.
    Cazorla or Ramsey? I think that question has been answered hasn’t it.
    The concern of course is that the team was jaded. Wenger says they’re tired? WTF?
    This is what wenger does tho. Keeps running out the same players until they keel over or get injured. Where have we seen that before? You’ve got a squad for a reason. If you’re not going to use the squad you will not win the premiership.
    This is a team that looks like it could do something. Let’s hope it doesn’t get f’d up again by doing the same old, same old.

Cheers, Peaches.
    Some good points well made.

The new, mobile and fluid attack was bound to flounder against a bus parked at the Emirates at some point.
    Apart from the demolition of Chelsea, our home form has been decidely dodgy but, of course, positive results always hide this.
    Upwards and onwards.

Always remember, you could have been born a chav or manc. 🙂

….ehhhh??? they are paid to win. And ‘No credit when we win’ ??!!
    I doubt very much Wenger would say something as stupid as that. I hate truisms

It isn’t a quote

…more of an observation. 🙂

If anybody finds my 12:55 offensive then please delete it as I have no desire to offend. I found it informative but others may not.

Hi GN5, no offence taken … peaches’ mum was in stitches 🙂

18. fred1266 says:

City losing hopefully it stays like this

observation? Who has observed that we give no credit to the winning squad? WHO? We fooking worship them and the ground they walk on, declare unconditional everlasting love, miss family occasions to see them, stretch the finances, that not enough??

20. Didit says:

Briefly

Thanks very much Peaches

Just as I saw it re Santi and balance, although not sure Santi would have made that much difference with the high % possession and high line stuff. Kinda as Erik said.

Still, sometimes you just can’t get the break through and that’s the way it goes. No bloody need to revert to the darker age and recall you know who though 🙂

Says everything about Boro that there fans travel from one end of the country to the other and celebrate not scoring any goals at all!

Forget 3 for win, 1 for draw etc should be -1 for scoring 0, then one point for every goal

21. TotalArsenal says:

It is a matter of adding another dimension with playing Giroud against PTB. More variation in weaponry means more chance to confuse and create space for opportunities. Micky, maybe you should go and study the medieval art of storming military castles…. 🙃💣💣💣

22. TotalArsenal says:

Citeh not winning today tells us everything about the pain of playing a midweek CL game and the impact it has on the post weekend game. Hence a draw by Arsenal, with one day less rest than Spudskies and Citeh, is not such a bad result.

City’s draw makes our win against S’ton look very good and lessens the damage of two lost points (or does it?)

25. Micky – how about Welbeck instead of Giroud 😉

26. I want both these teams at Stamford Bridge to lose but it is funny for a Jose team to go behind in the opening minute hahaha

27. Aaron says:

Clean sheet thanks to Cech!
    Just need Santi, Giroud, Ramsey and Wellbeck back for these type of games.
    Win a lot and draw some is a good formula in my book.

jose to lose, no matter who they are playing

that was a very good goal from Hazard. Did Jose bring him to the Bridge 🙂

There seems to be an air of disappointment, we’re people expecting us to go through the whole season without dropping another point?
    Thanks for the read Peaches.

LB. Yes, I am disappointed that we dropped points at home to a team in such poor form.

Boor played well but we should still have beaten them

I am with Raddy. Terribly disappointed. Boro played better than ever, we didn’t. Two lovely points gone and that’s only thanks to Cech and Koz. No thanks to the rest of the team

Still, good to see jose tearful 🙂

33. TotalArsenal says:

You will get more regularly disappointed BR, as that is football. And Middlesbrough away form is not that bad actually.

Great stuff chas

I give up, what’s the link?

happy baby, Mustafi, naughty dog, French artist – the bright side of life
    and then sad cat, smashed up vulgar car and Mourinho – good to see them suffer

conclusion – enjoy the good things in life, but most of all enjoy others misfortunes 🙂

I think I have lost a bet. I had a bet that Mourinho will win a trophy this season. I seems unlikely now 🙂

chavs beat ManU and we beat chavs, does this mean we will wipe the floor with manure next month?

38. Manthan Davda says:

Hello folks,

I am not sure if you guys can recall my name, I was regular at AA 2 years back. However due to work pressure and other issues i have stopped using browsing. Good read peaches, we missed santi big time on saturday. Elneny is a good player but not a natural playmaker.

Hi Manthan. Welcome back.

Do you think AW should have started Ox in a deeper position and relied upon Coq to protect the back 4?

Sissoko banned for three games after charge accepted

Tottenham have accepted the violent conduct charge against forward Moussa Sissoko, who will now be banned for three matches.
    Sissoko elbowed Bournemouth’s Harry Arter on the touchline after coming on as a substitute in Saturday’s 0-0 draw at the Vitality Stadium.

The incident was not seen by the match officials.
    He will miss Tuesday’s EFL Cup tie at Liverpool, Saturday’s home league game against Leicester and the north London derby at Arsenal on 6 November.

41. fred1266 says:

if it was only so easy Eddie

By the way anyone know how to get tickets for the ManU game

no, he said he was sorry Mourinho wasn’t invited to the Best EPL Managers lunch

ha ha bloody ha.

Slow start for BR and it will be a short PM when I get around to writing it!

Still …. it is game day 😀