Arsenal 6 Ludogrets 0…………a few thoughts on the game.

Thracians thrashed and we have a better clock tower; well we do, the clock tower near the Highbury barn is much better than theirs by about six goals I would say.

Sanchez, Walcott’s twin brother, Oxlaide-Chamberlain all got on the score sheet but it was Mesut Ozil’s night with his first hat trick at THOF.

Arsenal cruised past the Bulgarian champions with the ease in which I think most anticipated; that’s to say, anticipated in the way that none of us knew what to expect from Ludogrets but most presumed, and rightly so as it turned out, that the champions of such a lowly league were hardly going to produce a team capable of beating us in the form we are in.

No, but, that is not to say that we didn’t have a few scares; it took two fine saves from the outstanding Ospina to keep us ahead: Sanchez having scored from what is fast becoming his trade mark “Scoop”. I am not sure what else to call it; it was as inch perfect as the “Scoop” he sent over for Ozil to score one of the best goals I have ever seen against Swansea on Saturday.

alexis-sanchez

The Chilean’s goal settled the nerves and gave a moment to reflect on what a clever team selection Wenger had made. For twenty years I have been trying to guess the team he is going to select and although there have been a couple of times when I have been really annoyed usually following a sound thrashing; that said, I am not daft enough to realise that my criticism was made with the use of hindsight. Anyway once again I couldn’t guess and once again I was really impressed with the way Wenger deployed the troops: Monreal needed time to cool down from his weekend roasting which gave Gibbs a chance and the Ox for Iwobi was smart.

It is all very well going on as we do about how much depth we have to the squad but it is easy to forget that they are human beings with feelings and they need be kept on side and motivated and that was exactly what Wenger was able to do to two key players in the very important Gibbs and Oxlaide-Chamberlain. Oops I almost forgot, that is three key players with Ospina.

Theo’s twin brother continued to impress with a superb long range effort from way outside the box just before half time which allowed us to go into the break having doubled our lead and a whole lot more relaxed. I say Theo’s twin brother of course because there is no way anyone is going to persuade me that this is the same Theo that we have had at the club for what, ten years now? No way. Theo’s twin seems to have worked out his best position in no time and even more important he has been given provisional membership into the elite Ozil, Sanchez and Cazorla club. Yes a very exclusive club that very few get invited into, Ramsey has a provisional membership, Giroud by contrast doesn’t.

What this membership gets you is — the ball, it means that Ozil, Sanchez and Cazorla will pass to you; they wouldn’t have passed to Theo of last season, no point he would have just lost possession but his twin this season is able to control it and make some telling passes and score some very important goals. I am not sure that Giroud will ever be in the club, have you noticed how those three will try a really complicated pass to one another rather than make a simple short easy pass to the Frenchman.

In Arsenal world tonight was a resounding win but it will still go almost unnoticed. I am not sure whether to be pleased or annoyed. I suppose it is useful that all the media continue to kneel in front of Pep, lip gloss applied, while we go on winning almost unnoticed, it certainly keeps the pressure on Man City and off of us. It is a two horse race, no doubt in my mind about it.

But we were good tonight, we are very good, who would have expected Ozil to start scoring the way he is and before I go any further I want make sure Perez’s two assists do not go unnoticed. Do you remember when we bought him and we were all excited about how finally we might have someone who can play with Ozil and Sanchez up front, someone who has the same close control as those two titans of our team, well you saw it tonight. Perez was outstanding which of course leaves me with a bit of a problem choosing my superlative for Ozil but before I do a thought crossed my mind as he completed his hat trick.

mesut-ozil-match-ball

What would Ozil have to do to be regarded as the best player we have ever had at Arsenal? I will leave that one to you to discuss.

Back to the game, no actually I am done, Ozil’s three goals were magnificent and boy what a pleasure it was to be there and witness them. One last very personal point that gave me goose bumps. It is always a sign that we are on top and cruising when the you hear We’re the North bank, we’re the North Bank followed by we’re the Clock end, we’re the clock end, nothing new here but the difference last night was that like phoenix from the ashes the sound of we’re the East Stand, we’re the East Stand, we’re the East Stand Highbury came ringing out for the first time ever at THOF, I have goose bumps just writing it. Oh how lucky I am to support this football club, thanks Dad.

Written by LB

136 Responses to Arsenal 6 Ludogrets 0…………a few thoughts on the game.

1. Ant says:

Fantastic match report LB for a fantastic performance. A few thoughts:
    – Loved Eddie and Mickey’s tactical nous, including missing most of the game or going to bed early
    – Eddie’s team selection was spot on!
    – The Bulgarian fans seemed proud of their country and team
    – Coquelin was superb. He made numerous interceptions and on one occasion just sprinted to the player on the ball and nicked it off him before he noticed
    – their goalie was my favourite player (worse than the flying pig Chas)
    – “We’re the East stand”
    – I’m looking forward to the next recipe in your next post Chas

Roll on Saturday and another home game

2. Ant says:

so LB, did you enjoy the game ? 🙂

Fantastic report, I giggled all the way through it. Theo’s twin, that’s a classic. But you have it spot on, he is not the same player. He had 2 misses right in the beginning of the game and after the second, watch his face, he went red, I guess he is embarrassed or angry with himself. He really turned the corner this season. And I suppose it is due to the stiff competition he faces now. We have not had such talented players on the pitch for yonks now. In fact I think that it is the best ever the Emirates have seen, not Highbury, but the Ems.

thank you LB’s Dad.

Excellent LB, I would like to personally thank your dad as well 🙂 …what would we do without an LB match report?

Well I enjoyed that. I know it is only “so and so team” but they were half tidy with their control and movement. I just think we switched up to a gear we haven’t seen before. As much as I enjoyed it though I am getting this increasing anxiety from the burning question of “how do we tie down Ozil and Alexis?”.

It was Ozils night, no doubt, but it has to be mentioned that Sanchez’s mobile front-man role has coincided with us looking a far better team, so I place equal importance on securing him as well. I really truly believe that Arsene has finally listened to what Micky and myself have been saying for the last 2 years 🙂

The club as you mention it LB is an interesting thought. I truly believe that Ozil and Sanchez don’t do this out of spite with Ollie. I just think their natural footballing instincts in those instances in a game make them feel that Ollie doesn’t offer the right option. Not Ollies fault, just that top level players prefer movement and constantly changing dynamics ahead of and around them.

I am not sure how Arsene goes about fitting Ramsey back into a current 1st 11, and my thought would be don’t. It has to be considered that maybe Ramsey is not now a 1st 11 choice on a permanent basis and that the team has developed in a different direction in his absence.

This happens sometimes at the top end of football but I always use the Barca’s and Madrid’s (the level we are aiming for) of this world as an example. Rambo would likely not be 1st choice at these clubs either but that is the sign of a great team developing, that top internationals are sitting on the bench rather than starting.

Lets just ease him back into action, and I still feel his 1st 11 starting appearances are more suited to replacing Ozil when he needs a break.

5. Didit says:

LB

That is a really very, very good write up. It reads so smoothly with wit and accuracy. Love it.

Will now read again. Thank you.

6. Didit says:

Ant
    Loved … Mickey…..missing most of the game
    Yeah, cheers mate, and I hope your train breaks down on Saturday 🙂

ant – you just leave me alone, all right? I got 3 players right, how many did you get? None, coz you didn’t even try! Too busy stuffing your face with pies and booze, and taking selfies with your twin, pssshhhhh

8. Didit says:

GB

First up, even I hope and pray Arsene does not read my comments 🙂

As for Aaron, this or any First XI will get injuries and fatigue. We will play the season, with all its competitions, using multiple First XI’s, so while I agree with the gist of your point, he will get many starts. We have a new strength this season both tactically as well as squad quality

Superb LB, sex in your last match report and now the suffocating love that teenagers experience … I feel just the same 🙂

Arsene said it after the game, we have balance and belief …. and this season it is true.

I know I shouldn’t, but I just can’t stop myself feeling that we can really do something very special this season.

Unfortunately I agree with GoonerB 🙂 about Ramsey.

Coquelin was amazing, Gibbs is interchangeable with Monreal, koz is the best CB in the EPL, Oooooossssspppiiinnnnaaaaa is almost too good to be a 2nd choice keeper, Theo’s twin will be up there for the Golden Boot if he carries on like this, and Ozil is ………… there aren’t enough superlatives.

My guess at Wenger’s preferred eleven if all fit against, lets say, Man City.

——————–Cech

Bellerin, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal

——————Coquelin

———-Ramsey———— Ozil

—–Walcott, Sanchez, Welbeck

11. Didit says:

No Santi LB? You are about to fall out with Eddie very badly indeed 🙂

I forgot to mention Perez. Two excellent crosses, two assists, pace, control, vision …. he’s going to fit in very nicely …..

No Micky, no Santi.

You get some goals, some defense and some good interplay with Ozil and Sanchez from Ramsey.

You get less goals, less defense but slightly better interplay with Ozil and Sanchez from Cazorla.

True the Spaniard’s smile is much, much better but I reckon that Aaron will get the Wenger nod first.

14. TotalArsenal says:

I was feeling down early evening so I took six Ludogrets 😀

Smashing match report, LB. it oozes enthusiasm, appreciation of beauty and knowledge of the game.

LB – funny how we’ve hit top form in Ramsey’s absence. I love Aaron, but not as much as I love Santi. He is just that little cog that turns things around nicely.
    And who would you have taking corners? Ozil or Cazorla, not Ramsey. Do you remember that until Santi we wasted all the corners to the point that DidIt was laughing at his own team?

16. Didit says:

TA
    Good line 🙂

LB
    It’s the very fact that Santi has the better interplay (ie brings the best out of) Mesut and Sanchez which makes me think he’d get the nod over Aaron

Will be interesting to see, although merely having the choice is superb in itself

17. Didit says:

Eddie
    My cornergate period was a very long time ago 🙂

Santi is perfect for these kind of easyish games but spuds, manu PSG in November? Hmmmm my guess is still that Wenger will go for Ramsey over Cazorla.

19. Didit says:

Interesting LB, never thought of that. Maybe Santi is a Sunshine Player 🙂

Must be some player weather stats somewhere

20. wally says:

It’s all peaches and cream right now and it’s beautiful. Good to see more of the team involved. Hopefully some of these guys get a bigger runout to keep the team fresh come the dog days of Feb and March. That’s when the premiership will be won.
    Santi or Ramsey? That’s easy it’ll be Santi. When both were healthy ramsey gets shoved out wide and santi stays in the middle. That tells you who wenger thinks is the better central player. And santi is a better passer than ramsey. Ramsey will get you more goals but we’re getting enough of that now aren’t we.

21. Didit says:

However hard you’re working today, this is worth 14 minutes of your time. You’ll work better afterwards. Promise.

22. Pony Eye says:

LB mind you, Theo’s identical twin brother…..I mean by looks only.

Rasp, what is unfortunate about agreeing with GoonerB? 🙂

I can perfectly see LB’s thoughts on Ramsey over Santi but I still go the other way around and think Wally has a valid point. Santi gives you better control and is a better passer so retains possession better, where Rambo can be more prone to surrendering possession with slight errors.

If anything I feel Rambo is more suited to easier games that may be more physical where the loss of possession can be less harmful. Against the likes of Citeh loosing possession through errors can be more harmful, not just at that immediate instant, but also in the effect on the general fluidity of our game. I would rather lose it less in the first place than have a player that is better at getting it back.

Ok here is something else people seem to be forgetting but first let’s remember the boundaries. This is about who Wenger would chose to play against Spuds, Manu and PSG when we expect both Ramsey and Cazorla to be fit.

Right, the recent games have been Ludogrets, Swansea, Burnley, Basel, Chelsea, Forest, Hull what would you say our possession percentage would have been in those games 75% plus to us? With a percentage that high Cazorla is perfect because we have the ball and he can work his magic with Ozil and Sanchez.

Now what do you think our percentage of the ball will be against Spuds, Manu and PSG? An awful lot less is the answer.

Now then, cast your mind back to the World Cup, did Wales have a greater amount of the ball than their opponents of less? The answer is less and it was exactly under those circumstances that Ramsey was amble to excel; in fact, he was brilliant.

GB you always make the same mistakes.

“If anything I feel Rambo is more suited to easier games that may be more physical where the loss of possession can be less harmful.”

Last night was an easier game — was it physical? No it wasn’t. It was perfect for Cazorla — but against spuds? I say yet again that Wenger will go for Ramsey and rightly so.

Here is my prediction. Ramsey and Giroud will be on the bench on Saturday, either may get a few minutes. Both will start against Reading, they will be on the bench for Sunderland and Ramsey will start against Ludogrets away and then start in the all important game against Spuds at home and then will continue being in the starting lineup throughout November.

Giroud will continue to make cameo appearances as and when required, if we go behind to spuds with 15 minutes to go I expect Giroud to be sent on.

Wally if it were a beauty contest or the game of “lets play whose ya favorite player” you would of course be right.

Nice one Pony Eye

LB
    Many thanks for a gorgeous match report.
    Like have rich velvety cream poured all over your strawberries. 🙂

Really enjoyed the game even if we did look likely to concede at one point. Ludogorets are fast, nippy and skilful and you can see how their Brazilian players, in particular, might trouble other teams.

The goalie reminded me of Tommy Lawrence who was affectionately called ‘The Flying Pig’ by Liverpool fans, “because of his ability to dive around the penalty area despite weighing more than 14 stone (89 kg)”.
    Well I presume that’s what Ant was referring to in his 9.14 comment. Either that or he was calling me a flying pig.

Really enjoyed Le Coq’s performance. I so hope he can stay injury free as he looks so sharp and is obviously responding to competition in exactly the right way.

I also loved the fact that the knobheads leaving early missed either one or, in quite a few cases both, of Ozil’s 2nd and 3rd goals. Fancy paying all that money and not seeing a world class player bag a hattrick live in front of your own eyes. Absurd.

Lucas’s cameo was a delight in its own right. The cross for Ozil’s second so difficult to execute when running at full pelt and the little dink for Ozil’s 3rd glorious in its delicacy.

We were talking in the car on the way back up the M1 about us going to 5 of the last 6 games, seeing 20 goals, 18 for us and 2 for the opposition.
    Absolutely loving this season at the moment and we have Boro to come so soon on Saturday with all of the attendant train journey madness. 😆

Top comment Chas

“Like having rich velvety cream poured all over your strawberries”

Wish I had thought of that one.

28. fred1266 says:

Any find we defending to high

Fred

Did we concede last night?

No, just like the Three Bears story the porridge was not too hot and not too cold or in our case the defending was not too deep and not too high, it was in fact just right.

Nine out of ten bears agree with me.

“rich velvety cream poured all over your strawberries” – I find this kind of language completely inappropriate for a football blog, disgusting.

come on then LB – do you think this team is the best the Emirates have seen so far?

32. Didit says:

An LB prediction

One of the very highest highlights in blogging 🙂

And LB, it’s a monster of a prediction given you’re already mincing about in your only remaining item of clothing 🙂

Love it

Chas, It was not until I read today’s comments that I realized that you wrote yesterday’s pre-match. I was expecting it to be Raddy’s post and the quality of your post was so high that i did not even look at the author’s name.

It was an incredibly well thought out and well researched post, thank you.

34. Didit says:

Interestingly, our av possession this season is 54%
    Never topped 63%
    Last night 43%!!!

Wow. Surprising

LB, you often make correct and incisive comments that turn out to be true so I debate a point with you with extreme caution 🙂

Personally I don’t think everything can purely be black and white in football and the variables throw up discrepancies in many different opponents.

For instance you can have a side that tries to play possession technical football that isn’t full of star players so could still be considered an easier opponent. Maybe the Swansea of a few seasons back as an example.

Similarly you can have a top side full of top players that is a more difficult opponent but play more defensively, like Maureen’s sides.

Then, on top of those two styles, you can have those teams that have both top players and play decent possession football. I would put City and (he says with a sour face) Spurs in that category.

Personally I see Rambo more suited to a top team that is more defensive and physical but less focused on possession, like Maureen’s teams. For Guardiola’s and Pochettino’s more possession based teams I would go for Santi.

I accept that we drop somewhat in the possession stats against those teams anyway but it all depends on how much do you allow it to drop before it becomes a hindrance. I just think that Santi will keep it more even against those teams whereas I feel we will potentially drop too much in the possession stats with Rambo to the point that we aren’t really in the game or dictating its shape.

36. JM says:

Players picking up the baton to lead the team through the team’s winning streak: Koscielny, Alexis, Walcott, Ozil with their supporting cast Coquelin, Bellerin, Mustafi, Cazorla, Ospina, Iwobi and company.

Ramsey and Giroud are not due back full fitness till at least (A)Sunderland. (Two weeks schedule from last weekend).

Elneny will deputise for Coquelin & Cazorla when necessary while Xhaka is missing for the next 3 domestic games.

By then, the “leader’s” baton could be passed onto others e.g. Mustafi, Cech, Coquelin, Cazorla, Xhaka and even occasionally starters Elneny and Lucas. Hopefully, the winning streak shall remain on course approaching the winter campaign.

Only 43% last night, damn, I am already wrong.

I don’t think this is the best team we have ever had but I am still interested to consider what Ozil would have to do to become the best Arsenal player of all time?

GN5
    You thinking yesterday’s post was a genuine Raddy, I took as the highest possible compliment. 🙂

LB – not best ever, but best since we moved to the Emirates

I have been meaning to say this yesterday – I love the name Shkodran. And Mustafi is very cool too, not Mustafa, but Mustafi. Shkodran Mustafi sounds terrific. Says the woman who cannot remember her own name, but give her a half decent arsenal player and she can’t forget 🙂

Hmmm, yes I think you are right Eddie.

OK I will answer my own question.

We would have to win the Champions League for Ozil to be regarded as the best player to ever play for Arsenal.

LB
    Who would you put at number one at the moment?

Oh, forgot the question. No, Ozil is very good, but DB was better. More physical, more manacing and a true team player. At one stage he was a captain in Vieira’s absence, something I cannot see ozil doing. These plus the fact that he was at Arsenal for much longer than Mezut

oh fooking ell LB, if we win the CL every player will be our best ever player 🙂

Well, I slightly disagree about the captaincy, who do you think would get it if Koscielny had an injury?

In my opinion it should be Mesut Ozil maybe Theo but that would only be because of his better command of English but after Kos, Ozil is the leader on the field by some distance.

Chas

Bergkamp but with every game I think Ozil gets closer.

I predicted, at the end of chas’s first-class pre-match that if the author of the post match review was going to be LB that he would wax eloquently, and despite his earlier protestations of lack of time, he did, and it was wickedly good! 🙂

My only midge-bite of doubt, related to Theo being on a par with Özil, and Sanchez. Yes he is playing, at long last, as the player we have not seen for many a season, and long may that continue, but he is still prone to missing ‘tap-ins’ or falling over at inappropriate moments, but in fairness I have been delighted with his resolve to use his talents before it is too late, and he now says, what has always been obvious, that he prefers to play on the right and come into the centre – and that, with the competition in the squad has made all the difference.

For me, if Kozzer was out of the team, for any reason, I think the captaincy should go to Skodran, aka Skod, because Özil is a bit of a loner and rarely says much, and there really isn’t anyone else, apart from Santi, with the personality and win at all costs personality but he has not yet been offered a new contract and may be gone next summer – so no continuity should that happen.

For the future the next Arsenal captain is likely to be Xhaka, because he is the tough not we have long needed, and the extra responsibility would calm him down – but he would lead by example.

Just a thought.

49. fred1266 says:

No we didn’t concede but I must admit it had me on the edge for some reason

Mesut the captain? Not sure. If santi was a bit bigger he should get it.

RA

Sorry to do this but it is what you don’t see on telly that is where the real action is with Mesut.

You do not see his little chats with other players, you do not see him encouraging the rest of the team, he has come on leaps and bounds; he is not the same distant player he was when he joined.

Fred

It was was a bit worrying in the first half when we were only one up, Ludogrets had a couple of good opportunities to score and like you I was also on the edge of my seat.

53. fred1266 says:

U know I didn’t realize Kos was vice captain, but if Kos is not captain, think the armband would go to Santi

54. fred1266 says:

But think ospina played really well with or high backline even when they got away from the defense he was ready to act

55. TotalArsenal says:

Coq/Xhaka-Rambo-Das Ozil is the ultimate midfield combo. Santi is lovely and adds value but he is not a box to boxer. I think if you ask Nacho, Coq or Ozil who they would prefer they would say the one with the engine, stamina and defensive ability who also makes it into the box(es) regularly.

LB,

That’s fair enough, the stadium view is 360 degrees, so to speak, whereas TV as you are rightly implying tends to follow the ball player and the more personal stuff is not seen.

I would have no problem with Özil getting the nod as captain, and he is definitely our best player, and on that basis perhaps he should have the armband even now – but most are more than happy that Kozzer is doing a great job.

Hi Total,

Can’t argue with your point there (5 : 03) but as you know, central defenders tend to get the captaincy based on the old adage that they can see all the action ahead of them.

But there are also captains like Vieira, Arteta, van Persie, Fabregassy, who captained from midfield, of course, but we have a history of CBs like Tony Adam’s, Per Mert, Kozzer, Gallas, Vermaelen, who are frequently preferred, altho Henry managed to be made captain and frankly was hopeless. 🙂

In other words, I think it is just Arsene having reasons that are beyond me – and make this point pretty worthless — but still, it’s Skod for me, following the recent CB strategy. 😀

58. TotalArsenal says:

Ah Redders, sorry to confuse you with my comment. I was purely talking about our best box to box midfielder option. As for our captain, I would give it to Alexis if and when he signs a new contract. I don’t expect Ozil to care much about the captaincy…. and neither does Arsene it seems.

Are you still based I’m Manchester?

59. TotalArsenal says:

Great picture Chas.

Chas I most certainly meant my comment on your pre-match as a compliment – it was a very enjoyable read…….

Out two pass masters past and present – both are an absolute joy to watch. I agree with LB that it’s difficult to see a players full involvement on TV – just hope I can get to see for myself before the lights go out. Still lots of time though.

I am Total, but I move around a lot trying to get work despite my health problems — so I am a wandering whatnot.

No, you did not confuse me — your comment was very clear re ‘box to boxers’ I just multi-tasked and answered you while I was expelling my ‘captaincy’ reply.

You also picked up my slightly cheeky inference that we can speculate the captaincy as much as we want — but to try and second guess Arsene is impossible.

Thierry, Gallas, Van Persie, even the perpetually injured Arteteteta, just had to be whims of the great man — none would have been my choice – but he can be as difficult to understand as GB. 😀

63. TotalArsenal says:

Hahaha Redders, that’s GB for us indeed. 😀🙃

Good to hear you keep finding work, even though it means you have to travel a lot for it.

66. wally says:

If it’s not Kos it’s Cech.
    And while ozil’s vision is second to none he’s not got the goals, the finish that DB had. That goal v NFC has to be among the best ever, anywhere.

Boringly LB for Ozil to become the greatest ever player he is going to have to make the game look much harder. DB10 for all his brilliance and composure still looked like his game required effort.

Ozil beeezes through games Alexis blows through games, ask most people and the majority would back Alexis because he works so hard. Or at least looks like he does, even when sprinting away from the Ludogrets back line Ozil’s running style looks like he is on a relaxed jog.

But to me what I noticed from watching highlights last night was the apparent need not to be hurried from some of our players. Santi’s pass for Ozil’s first, looks over shoulder before receiving, see’s space, Ozil has seen it too Santi knows Ozil knows so doesn’t have to look again just need to deliver the ball. Perez’s assist for Ozil composure and understanding personified.

is it the devil?

LB was right, above are the Walcott twins and their respective stats

70. Didit says:

Exile

So true. Maybe it’s an ingrained English football cultural thing. Let’s face it, most ex-pro commentators bang on about blood, guts and then the classic stuff of ‘let ’em know your there’

If true, then hardly surprising the untrained eye finds it harder to detect the sublime quality in Mesut’s game.

71. Didit says:

Morning all

Love a rectangular cat. Easier to stack and store for long journeys

72. Didit says:

oh god, you’re

73. Didit says:

I was thinking about LBs Mesut:DB10 comparisions

Looking up DB, interesting how his goals per game dried up the season (1999) Henry rocked up

Below DB GAMES PLAYED, GOALS, Goals per game av

2005-06 Arsenal 24 2 0.08
    2004-05 Arsenal 29 8 0.28
    2003-04 Arsenal 28 4 0.14
    2002-03 Arsenal 29 4 0.14
    2001-02 Arsenal 33 9 0.27
    2000-01 Arsenal 25 3 0.12
    1999-00 Arsenal 28 6 0.21
    1998-99 Arsenal 29 12 0.41
    1997-98 Arsenal 28 16 0.57
    1996-97 Arsenal 29 12 0.41
    1995-96 Arsenal 33 11 0.33

74. Didit says:

I’m more than happy to discuss the final Trump/Clinton debate

Wow, what a carry on 🙂

75. Didit says:

Ha ha, bloody nora, did you see it?

What a pair of horrible people

The humour of an American sports fan.

……………………………………………………………………………………….

Team Names

I think all sports fans will get a kick out of this letter written to the Chicago Tribune….

No matter which side you are on in the matter of renaming the Washing Redskins, this is funny. This guy is hilarious…

Here is an e-mail sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after an article he published concerning a name change for the Washington Redskins.

…………………………………………………………………………………………

Dear Mr. Page: I agree with our Native American population. I am highly insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

Let’s ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60’s alive. Gone. It’s offensive to us white folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men’s lives.

I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children.

The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children.

The Milwaukee Brewers. Well that goes without saying. Wrong message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing Congress loves…

As a die hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women’s athletic teams to something other than “the Beavers (especially when they play Southern California . Do we really want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers???)

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for the Redskins name I would suggest they change the name to the “Foreskins” to better represent their community, paying tribute to the dick heads in Congress.

I still don’t understand how you put them both on an equal footing as regards despicability, so I’m not fooled by your use of the word ‘pair’. 🙂

79. Didit says:

Chas
    Here’s what I think will happen
    If Trump loses:
    He will not concede, which constitutionally means she can’t accept the presidency
    He will then accuse her of being an illegal candidate as she has lied to congress ie criminal offence (which of course we know to be true from WikiLeaks docs)
    Then, all hell will break loose

80. Didit says:

Yeah, some Labs are bloody enormous. Reckon Dotty is a runt

Got any photos of Dotty I could see?

82. Didit says:

Oh yes, but I’d have to telephone them to you, although I can tell you right now, she likes like a black lab

A young man with his pants hanging half off his rear, two gold front teeth, and a half inch thick gold chain around his neck, walked into the local welfare office to pick up his check.

He marched up to the counter and said, “Hi. You know, I just HATE drawing welfare. I’d really rather have a job. I don’t like taking advantage of the system, getting something for nothing.”

The social worker behind the counter said “Your timing is excellent. We just got a job opening from a very wealthy old man who wants a chauffeur and bodyguard for his beautiful daughter. You’ll have to drive around in his 2014 Mercedes-Benz CL, and he will supply all of your clothes.”

“Because of the long hours, meals will be provided. You’ll also be expected to escort the daughter on her overseas holiday trips. This is rather awkward to say, but you will also have, as part of your job, the assignment to satisfy her sexual urges as the daughter is in her mid-20’s and has a rather strong sex drive.”

The guy, just plain wide-eyed, said, “You’re bull-sh*ttin’ me!”

The social worker said, “Yeah, well.. You started it…”

there are calls to sack Gary Lineker for defending refugees, crazy. He twitted today : “Getting a bit of a spanking today, but things could be worse.
    Imagine, just for a second, being a refugee having to flee from your home.”

Fair play to him.

I don’t think you’re right about ‘which constitutionally means she can’t accept the presidency’.

Today is Trafalgar day… As Lord Nelson’s out numbered British fleet approached the combined Franco-Spanish Navy at Trafalgar on the 21st of October in 1805 – He sent this famous signal to all of his vessels ‘England Expects Every Man Will Do His Duty’.

Eddie
    Aren’t the “calls” just from the Sun and the Star?

Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows Lineker was simply calling racists racist, rather than calling Brits racist, as the press are trying to make out.

Micky
    It was the size of her I was interested in, not whether she looked similar to her parents. 🙂

89. Didit says:

GN5

The Beavers 🙂

90. Didit says:

Ah, so you want a pic of Dotty with something of familiar size next to her to scale off

Not easy, as they’re nearly all with my wife, and she’s 6’1″

Ah, I forgot about your Land of the Giants story.

Hi Didit, It’s a cold rainy morning her in London, Ontario.

Winter is just around the corner then we can prepare for 4/5 months of snow………..but we are always ready for it. The snow & ice removal crews are so well equipped and trained that even with a 2/3′ snow fall the roads are quickly cleared and safe to drive on.

Canada without snow would be like England without rain.

Brady and a gnome

95. Didit says:

That’s Dotty!

Brady looking fairly comfy.

Hopefully someone will remember this. Something very unusual is going to happen to me tomorrow — I am going to miss a home game, not only am I unable to attend I won’t be able to see it at all and the same goes for Reading. I know that sometimes I write the match report but without seeing either game I obviously won’t be able to write a word. I trust someone will step in.

Mrs LB’s birthday trip to Barcelona hmmmmmm, could be worse I suppose she could have booked it when spuds come to THOF.

GN5

11.53 ….. a very good read, the name Redskins does sit uncomfortably but in that context it really makes you think.

My first cousins are born and bred Redskins fans. I know very little about those matters but I do look out for their scores. Good win against the Eagles last week.

LB,

I watch a lot of American football and my son and I go to a couple of Buffalo Bills games each season, Buffalo is only 159 kilometers from my home.

For sports nuts like me this is a time of year when it’s difficult to decide what to watch – NFL, NHL, F1, PL, CL, ATP, MLB.

poor LB, has to go to Barcelona. Some wives…

Eddie, it’s a home game…………. 🙂

…and you lost 🙂 1 nil to your wife

I took my ex to Barcelona for his birthday 9 years ago. He was very pleased until I put on the Arsenal shirt and marched him to see Thierry playing there. Needless to say he wasn’t impressed, Tough

LB,

I see you will be unable to write a match report after the game on Saturday as you will be unable to see it — that is a bit weak, as it never stopped Kelsey! 😀

106. chas mobile says:

and God will reply: “it is only as difficult as you make it, Mr Wenger, If you listened to your fans and bought a defender and a striker 2-5 years ago, you would have won the league last season.
    Now that you did what everybody knew you should have done, winning games is much easier, init?”

108. Didit says:

Eddie

Ha ha, and God will sayeth “What the fuck were you dicking around with Ollie for so long” 🙂

Aaaaaaand, a match day hello to you all

If you listened to your fans………hahahahaha

The ‘fans’ were right all along. Yeah, right!

Taking credit for making 100 suggestions when only a couple of them actually prove to be right.
    I despair.

110. Didit says:

Hey Eddie
    Did you see those Russian warships cruising down the Channel?
    The Ministry of Defence said they would be “man-marked every step of the way”
    Then sent out two tiny boats. If I’d been a Russkie sailor I’d have stood on deck and given them the Oooo hand bags sign 🙂

chill out chas, you stress out so easily 🙂 There is no need for it, really. The fans were right all along and once Wenger took it on-board ,things are looking rosy 🙂

Happy Birthday, Boss.

DidIt – please don’t start me on Russia. They are terrorizing Syria, strengthening their nuc plans, sending threats to Poland, causing havoc in Chechnya, Ukraine and Crimea. Getting seriously out of control and the west are shit scared to do anything about it

That’s complete and utter bollix, Eddie, and you know it.
    You can’t wind me up as I know you try, but if someone puts nonsense up then it needs knocking down else others might start to believe it. 🙂

115. Didit says:

Ah the Marble Halls. Heck they were awesome.

I’m with Chas. That’s nonsense Eddie. You’re watching John Craven news feeds 🙂

116. Didit says:

Oh no, cross wires alert, I didn’t see Eddie’s comment

chas – I swear I am not winding you up. I really hold Wenger responsible for at the very least last season. I will not bore you with details, coz you know them.

If 99 people complement you (unlikely) and only 1 criticizes you (again unlikely it is just 1), you will first respond to criticism, such is human nature. Please don’t tell me that Wenger pays no attention to fans

118. Didit says:

Are the Marble Halls still as was ie Cannon still there? Must look through the doors one day

MorningAll,

I am in an airport heading back home in time for the match. Unfortunately, I have little time pre-flight to get a PM done but can do so if no-one volunteers …

120. Didit says:

I’m not convinced there will be anyone left Erik
    It’s not going too well this morning 🙂

121. Didit says:

“Please don’t tell me that Wenger pays no attention to fans”

Interesting that one

If he does, he’s weak as he’s the paid expert
    If he doesn’t, he’s not listening to his audience

Personally, I wouldn’t listen to the fans 🙂

OK. I will write a few lines..

123. Didit says:

What, just for me Erik?

124. Ant says:

We’ve gone full circle and back to my first comment on the post…
    – Eddie’s team selection was spot on!
    If only Arsene listened to the fans..hee hee

Yes Micky, just for you 😀