Hoodoo? Swansea? Surely not.

These interlulls seem interminable but at last we get some proper football back at THOF as we welcome our nemesis, Swansea City.

We have not beaten Swansea at The Emirates in our last 4 meetings (3L, 1D).  How can it be that we have such a poor record against one of the PL minnows? It is not as if they are a brutal team like Stoke or even a top quality side. No, it has to be one of three reasons:

1. Arsenal have anticipated an easy victory and do not give 100% until it is too late.
  2.  Arsenal are in poor form and Swansea rise to the occasion of playing in a world class stadium.
  3. Welsh Luck.

Or  most probably a combination of the above. Whatever the reason it has to stop and it has to stop this afternoon.

Unknown.jpeg

Will Bob Bradley start his PL career with a positive result? Is it a fact or an urban myth that a new manager always starts with a win (Warnock did so last night for Cardiff)? Swansea certainly need a boost as they have lost 5 of their last 6 games and have “garnered”(outside of football when do we use this word?) just 4 points from 7 games.

Swansea’s main attacking threat will come from set pieces (no surprise there!) and this is an area which has traditionally been a weakness for AFC. Much has been written about the lack of height in our defence yet we go into the game on the back of 4 clean sheets.

Our season is going well apart from a mad 20 minutes vs Liverpool in a game which we not only dominated but should have been out of sight by 40 minutes . We were average against Burnley which can be excused after an exhausting week.

Is OG knacked or on the naughty step? Either way he is not playing today. Nor is Ramsey who may well be out for another week.

My Team:

Cech

Bellerin     Mustafi    Koscielny    Monreal

Cazorla   Xhaka    Iwobi

Walcott   Sanchez    Ozil

Why change a winning team? The only reason to do so would be exhaustion following the Internationals. Perhaps Sanchez will be rested for The Ox.

The bench gets stronger and stronger as players return from injury though we are lacking (as always) a striker – Akpom, OG, Perez and Welbeck are all missing. Where is Sanogo when we need him?

Win today, win midweek and we are kushtie, drop points today and a cold winter looms, but we won’t, will we?

COYRRG

107 Responses to Hoodoo? Swansea? Surely not.

1. Didit says:

Relief comes in the form of a BR

Thanks very much. Needed. Will Arsene play Sanchez who I believe played twice? Can Arsene stop Sanchez playing? 🙂

2. Didit says:

And if not, Erik, then I agree it’s the Ox right, Theo through the middle.

Chas,
    Remind me (from earlier) who is Tim Stillman?

I love to read the BR pre-match, it sort of sets you up for the day, gets you in the right frame of mind, gets you ready, ready to go, go to where the football is played, played at the home of football.

Guess who is getting excited.

One of the reasons for our poor record is the poor defensive line ups that we have had to field and the lack of a HM; we have solved those two problems and so I see no reason why we should not win. Any other manager would park two buses in front of their goal but I think this American is going to make the mistake of trying to take us on at attacking football, if he does it could become a cricket score.

I know that sometimes I write the match report and I would love to do so this evening but the thing is it is Mrs LB’s birthday and we are having guests over to eat and I have volunteered to cook. In brief I will not be able to write anything.

Am I going to the game, doh, yeah…………

Thanks Raddy. I am expecting a tighter game than many others might, but still see us edging it. International breaks and a mid-week game looming often tend to hamper the dynamism slightly and many of the Swansea players are likely more rested with only this game to focus on. Hope to be wrong and we put in a proper thumping.

This years league intrigues me. I make no bones in again saying we should have won the league last year and that we under-performed in not doing so. The league looks harder to win this year but we also look a different animal with a new improved dynamic style (albeit one that still has some development left in it). If we can end up champions this year, and we are in the mix IMO, then I will have it down as Arsene’s greatest achievement.

LB. Great to see you survived your cycling trip. Please wish Mrs LB a HB from all at AA.

I think Mr Bradley will bring at least two greyhound busses

GB. Agree about the PL this season, it could be epic, but I think you underestimate just what an achievement Leicester’s win was, they lost just 3 games and two were to us.

Lovely stuff, Giant Raddish. 🙂

It is odd that in football, as in other aspects of life, it does not seem to take much for a trend to develop that quickly becomes a jinx, if you or your team are the recipients of ill luck, or downright poor play.

It is part of your role as the pre-match Guru to remind us all of these unwanted anomalies – so you are forgiven. 🙂

You remind me of a man. What man? A man of Hoodoo. Who do? You do. What? Remind me of a man. Oh, there you go again …..

Arsenal to break the hoodoo todaydoo – 3 : 1

Looking forward to LB’s match report as ‘the man what was there’. 😀

8. Didit says:

Erik

To be blunt, I’m a little disappointed in the WAGS of AA’ers.

You’ll struggle to watch the game due to Mrs E’s obsession with mild danish smut, while LB won’t do us an MR because of some musical chairs and jelly party demanded by his other half

9. Didit says:

RA 🙂

Hope all well at your end of the kingdom

Off for a surf. Probably 3 mins late for game and miss the only two goals. I go 2-0

Life moves on, and with it tempus fugit etc, but in my more fleeting visits to AA, I love to see/catch up with the denizens of the blog site who have given me much pleasure over the years.

Today, the comment that caught my eye was the one from the inestimable GB maintaining that we should have won the league last season, but underperformed in not doing so.
    Umm – that sounds like another way of saying ‘we were not good enough to win the league last season’. Prosaic, but true.

Now – maybe – GB – if you had made some bones, or performed some other type of spiritual juju we would have won! 😀

[Is it technically possible for you ‘to make no bones’?]

Ah, reminds me of the old days of waffling.

“musical chairs and jelly” LoL

12. I’m pissed off Raddy. Have an ear infection so will be missing the game. The last time I missed a home game was a few years back when a rumour went round a Leopard was roaming Bounds Green High Road. Couldn’t risk it, apparently Leopards are attracted to men who don’t change there spots.

Ear infection? Why me? I haven’t done anything to deserve this. I’ve always treated people with the respect and dignity they deserve, which is none.

Ear infections are the reserve of kids and men with long marriages. My brother and his boy came round this morning and I couldn’t help but think it should be one of you suffering. Nephew is a little shit with ear wax and my brothers ears are so damaged by his wife’s nagging they’ve evolved a flap over the ear hole.

We should batter this lot. I can recall a game against Swansea about 35 years ago when they done us 2-0 with Ray Kennedy scoring? Or maybe the hallucinations from the ear infection have started?

That’s the only plus side of ear infections. At there feverish crescendo you actually believe your some one else. I usually morph into Peter Marrinello so make love to scores of 1970s women.

3-0 Arsenal

“my brothers ears are so damaged by his wife’s nagging they’ve evolved a flap over the ear hole”.

Terry, you write such incredibly original comedy – simply superb!!!

You always brighten up my day my friend and it does not go unappreciated – I share your humour with many of my friends and family.

DISCLAIMER

Here’s one for you — it may not be good reading for Peaches Mum.

I went to a disco last week and the DJ put on a Twist record –
    so I twisted.

Then he played the Jump –
    so I jumped.

Next he played Come on Eileen –
    that’s when I got thrown out……………….

IT’S BACK – our two week international nightmare is finally over and we get to watch our team strut their stuff,

Raddy, thank you for always taking the time to write your pre-match posts – they make a big difference to many of us.

The only “blue” mark on the morning so far is the Chelsea game on the TV behind me 1-0 to them courtesy of Costa……….ugh!!!

15. ha ha thanks GN5, I like that joke.

16. Red Arnie says:

Lovely stuff, Raddy. COYG. Let us overturn the voodoo and get a thumping win. 🙂

Great to see a lot of the Mohicans around, sad that I am still out of sorts.

17. Nah not gonna happen today, looking forward to breaking that hoodoo 🙂

Thanks for the pre-match Raddy, on my way to meet the Vines for a drink before the game.

18. Red Arnie says:

our game against the Foxes looks like a bad result with each passing day. Anyway, s**t happens. onwards and upwards. 🙂

Thanks Raddy, I’ll admit to being a touch nervy about this game for the reasons you give. We should rest Sanchez really, but since everyone else is injured we may have no choice. I’d rather play Iwobi centrally up front and keep Theo on the right if Alexis doesn’t play.

20. Red Arnie says:

Happy birthday, Mesut Özil! 🙂

“Of course I won’t laugh”, said the nurse.

“I’m a professional. In over twenty years as a nurse I’ve never laughed at a patient”

“Okay the said Bob” and he proceeded to drop his trousers, revealing the smallest male part the nurse had ever seen.
    In length and width it was the size of a AAA battery.

Unable to control her self. the nurse tried to stop a giggle, but it just came out. Feeling very badly that she had laughed at Bob’s part, she composed herself as best she could.

“I’m so sorry,” she said.. “I don’t know what came over me. On my honour as a nurse and lady, I promise that will not happen again. Now tell me what seems to be the problem?”

“It’s swollen” Bob replied.

She ran out of the room………………..

22. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha. GN5 and of course, Terry. 🙂

TEAM NEWS: Ozil starts

We are unchanged from the side that won 1-0 at Burnley for today’s clash with Swansea City at Emirates Stadium.

Petr Cech starts in goal and makes his 50th appearance for the club, while Shkodran Mustafi and Laurent Koscielny continue their defensive partnership.

Santi Cazorla lines up alongside Granit Xhaka in central midfield, with Mesut Ozil playing behind Alexis.

Theo Walcott and Alex Iwobi will occupy the flanks, with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Lucas starting on the bench.

Francis Coquelin is back in the squad after injury.

Arsenal: Cech, Bellerin, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal, Cazorla, Xhaka, Walcott, Ozil, Iwobi, Alexis

Arsenal substitutes: Ospina, Gabriel, Gibbs, Coquelin, Elneny, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lucas

Copyright 2016 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source

Read more at http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20161015/team-news-ozil-starts#b5VQqg1gwAEvEis0.99

24. Red Arnie says:

COYG

What’s not to like about that team, our bench has to be the best in the league and we are still missing – Ramsey, Welbeck and Giroud and Akpom.

26. Red Arnie says:

agreed, GN5. 🙂

27. JM says:

Bradley’s Swansea’s starting w/o any striker, 4-6-0, with two wingers (Routledge and Barrow) the furthest forward. (i.e. crowd the middle and back, counter from either flank and hope to gain advantages with set pieces)

Arsenal (4-2-3-1) shall take the offensive to them.

Like the team. Like that BB has gone without a recognised striker.

29. Didit says:

4 mins late. No goals missed 🙂

Come on you Gunnnnnnners

30. Didit says:

so close from Iwobi Superstar 🙂

31. fred1266 says:

They Park the bus already

Wow. Theo outmuscles a CB to score!!

Get in

33. Didit says:

Thhhhhhhhhhhhheooooooooooo

34. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha ha

Fred. Swansea will have to remove one of their busses now 😀

36. Red Arnie says:

on a hattrick then. 🙂

Theo on fire!!!!

Really terrible defending 😀 😀

43. Didit says:

Hi Arnie

44. Red Arnie says:

Hi Micky. hope all is well down south. I’m desperately trying to get back on groove. 🙂

45. Didit says:

So they get a goal
    Don’t mind

FFS I am starting to actively dislike Icelanders

47. Referee behaving like a complete t****r

48. Didit says:

Great half of football

Some wonderful football from the Gunners.

Three terrible defensive errors leading to the goals but it was a very entertaining half.

The linesmen are both having crap games

I’m really liking Xhaka’s quiet efficiency with the odd killer pass when least expected. Surely kos is the best CB in the league.

It would be good to see Lucas get a run out if we get a third

52. Didit says:

WOT a ball. Wot a goal

Fantastic inch perfect pass from Sanchez and fab finish from

Messssuuuuutt

54. Didit says:

and I was still dribbling from the Iwobi dribble

55. Didit says:

smiles in the crowd and I’m not bloody surprised
    superb stuff

56. fred1266 says:

Ozil loves his Volleys

What the hell are our defenders doing???

58. fred1266 says:

At least city losing and spurs drawing

I take back what I said about Xhaka, that was a moment of madness, the player was on the halfway line

Stupid of Xhaka but never a red card.

61. fred1266 says:

We made it hard

62. Didit says:

Fabulous game

63. Red Arnie says:

great game, no complaints. 🙂 nice results elsewhere. ha ha ha ha ha

Wow. What a cracker of a game. It had everything and Theo could/should have scored 4.

My heart rate is almost back to normal after a desperate last 15.

65. Didit says:

Level on points with City
    Oh, and above Totnum
    Nice

66. JM says:

No freebies in the Premier League while the winning streak continues.

Team needs to recover and refocus on their next match against Ludogorets.

67. Aaron says:

Theo was great and not!
    He has a hard time 1 timing shots low, should practice 1 touch then shot at full pace a millions times to get it right.
    Xhaka was never a red- but people will ramble on about how he added another to his portfolio.
    Overall, if not for offsides, the Arsenal would have blown them out of the water.
    Sending off showed Arsenal can get the 3 points no matter what.
    Onward and Upwards…

Equal top of the league (2nd on gd) not a bad days work 🙂

69. Fantastic game of football, loved every minute even when we were conspiring to let them score (again)
    Imagine how many goals Theo and Alexis score (and miss) in training. One day we’ll score 10!!!!!

70. Didit says:

10 Peaches!!!!
    Doomer 🙂

What a great day it must have been for you and your boys 🙂

71. Didit says:

LB

Perhaps forget about the cooking. Nip down the boozer for a swift victory pint of red, then grab a take away 🙂

Now that is football — even for those of us not in the stadium or even without a ‘stream’. 😀

3 lovely big fat points!!

73. fred1266 says:

Great game only complaint is the header Swansea was getting

very good game!
    And Raddy had his wish – no more Swansea hoodoo.
    And Mesut had his birthday present – happy birthday lad!
    And Peaches had a great day out…happy dayz, even I cannot find much to moan about

what do Vardy and Mehrez think?
    who cares, not me 🙂

76. fred1266 says:

Lol so true Eddie

77. Does anyone want to write something for tomorrow in LB’s absence 😉

78. Red Arnie says:

Eddie. ha ha ha. 🙂

79. Red Arnie says:

how d’do Redders! all quiet on the western front? 🙂

Bravissimo Señor LB 🙂

Evening all, sorry for absence the International Break had me spending time searching for cars and working too hard. Found a car…still working too hard.

Only seen highlights that Arsenalist posts. Cracking goal by Mesut, Walcott two good goals. Amazing what he can do from the right wing. Haha.

The red card? Well I went on to FA website to try and establish how Moss can send him off. And believe it or not he probably can argue Violent Conduct, “when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball”.

Question was Xhaka challenging for the ball? The answer to that is subjective but in my mind….no not in a million years could he have hoped to play the ball. How many times do we see players sent off for petulant kicks when the ball is nowhere near them? Plenty so if Moss calls it Violent Conduct the ban and card will stand. If he says it’s for Serios Foul Play when “endangering the safety of others” line comes in to the argument, we should appeal and win.

Thanks for a fine pre-match, BR.
    The hoodoo is finally broken.

It felt like my birthday when this went in. 🙂

83. I’ve pinched LB’s player ratings for a post for tomorrow.

Thanks LB

Sheer beauty….

BR is going on manoeuvres again. A week in ROI.

We are being picked up at the airport by Dermot O’Moighnahan’s horse and cart!

If they have internet I will write the midweek PM, if not there are many able substitutes.

City v Everton was funny – Jagielka is losing the plot. 2 penalties against and both saved by the Everton keeper 🙂

I watched alles gutte zum Geburtstag wishes for Mesut. He giggled when Podolski made his speech, I wonder why

88. Didit says:

A week in Ireland, Erik!!! What the hell’s the point in that?

Morning all 🙂

that ref yesterday was awful.
    And as for sticking fingers in a player’s face – disgraceful. He should get a red card for it. As far as I am concerned it constitutes common assult

micky – Raddy is meeting the horse, not Dermot. Otherwise I would have asked Big to ask Murnahan about the shadow foreign secretary interview 🙂 But there is no point asking the horse, is there

plus, Murnahan is from Devon 🙂

91. Didit says:

Eddie
    I thought Theo was faking it 🙂

92. Didit says:

Xhaka
    With red card game bans, if the offence happens in the PL, do the game bans include CL?

no, of course not
    but it was a straight red = 3 match ban, unless Arsenal appeal

Xhaka was foolish. HIs reputation for a rash challenge is clearly deserved. 3 game ban for violent conduct (though it wasn’t)

Could he take PV4’s record of red cards?

I see no reason why the rash challenge part of his game can’t be sorted out very quickly especially tackles such as the one he got sent off for yesterday but the far more worrying thing is that he has twice now gifted the opposition goals due to him losing the ball in vital areas.

Spuds was not the right game for Xhaka but Middlesbough and Reading would have been useful to continue his assimilation into this league.

Yet again it shows our strength in depth because although as I said it would be useful to have him against the two teams I just mentioned it is by no means vital. Elneny can do a job just as well if not better.

I would like Coquelin to have as much rest as possible, we need him for spuds and the following tough run of games.

Elneny must have smiled as Xhaka saw red

98. Didit says:

Agree with much of that LB

We must rotate/pace players well through Oct/Nov before the tougher December period.

This is where the Aarons, Elneny’s and Ox’s will prove their value, and of course possibly force undroppable status

99. Didit says:

LB
    What did you cook

100. Didit says:

As I wrote that comment about the Aarons and Elnenys, I thought about our 2nd XI

If everyone was fit, blimey it would be a strong side

Sorry I overslept …………. There’s a New Post ………………

102. LB – you forgot about Iwobi

103. fred1266 says:

Lukaku goal was brilliant though