Arsenal 3 Chelsea 0………..A few thoughts.

So to start this post off, let’s have a little count to see if we all arrive at the same number. Ready, right then, how many teams are there in London?

Hahahahahahaha

Any match report from an Arsenal supporter after that game would and should be one long list of superlatives, so here you go.

Player ratings:

Cech: Solid as a rock 10

Bellerin: Phenomenal 10

Mustafi: Vorsprung durch technik 10

Koscielny: Magnificent 10

Monreal: Brilliant 10

Coquelin: Hero 10

Cazorla: Outstanding 10

Ozil: God like 10

Iwobi: Sublime 10

Sanchez: Awesome 10

Walcott: Exceptional 10

Well that was fun.

OK, the thing is that anyone reading this obviously saw the game so instead of me trying to point out all the things that were special or might have gone unnoticed what I would like you to do is to point them out in the comments below.

For example: one of the things that I thought might have gone unnoticed is that for the first time the team stopped hoofing high balls up to Sanchez and instead only played to his feet, in other words that was the first time that the team played to Sanchez’ strengths rather than what was Giroud’s and surprise, surprise the result was one of the best performances we have seen from the Good Guys in recent years. Interestingly to me was that when the Frenchman did come on he looked completely out of place. I know, I know, this is not the time to start picking holes and furthermore I am sure that there will be times when his skill set will come in useful but any thoughts that Sanchez can’t play a number nine have now vanished from this Arsenal supporters mind.

Have the best Sunday you have had in ages.

Written by LB on Cloud 9

216 Responses to Arsenal 3 Chelsea 0………..A few thoughts.

2. Shard says:

Super, LB.

I loved watching Mustafi and Koscielny yesterday.
    I was a little surprised at the Gibbo substitution and then he just slotted right in.
    Such a perfect day. 😆

I’ve a feeling Giroud’s beard isn’t aero-dynamic and is slowing him down a little. 🙂

Slim, I know this is a bit beyond my authority here but you have such an interesting overview and I know that you are going to post some really insightful comments today so my polite request is could you put them together and save them for a headline post on Monday a bit like: further thoughts on the game?

Or equally you might prefer not to in which case I look forward to reading them when ever you are in the mood to post them.

Giroud’s beard slowing him down is definitely one of those things that could have easily gone unnoticed.

Morning 🙂

Great clips Shard.

LB
    I’m so pleased you didn’t accuse me of having an interesting overview and being insightful. 🙂

Btw, I completely agree about Slim’s comments always being of such a high standard.

Still basking. What a couple of weeks we have enjoyed (weather has been brilliant as well!)

Mustafi was magnificent. Only 24 and yet mature enough to cope with Costa, his positional sense is German.

Bellerin was brilliant. In attack and defence the man is truly exceptional and possibly the best young Gooner for many a year. His pace is Jamaican.

LB. Thank you. I agree with the ratings. Wish I had been at the Emirates, from the sofa it sounded wonderful

I have been looking for a Chelsea blog for a bit of a laugh. I found this which gives witty “player ratings following Arsenal thrashing”.

12. LBG says:

If every a post was to come true in all its essence, Raddy’s pre match was it!!
    Love the Costa heat map, but most of all his outburst and booking for mouth from Oliver.
    A truly magnificent experience at the Emirates which will be difficult to better for me.

13. Morning cloud 9 residents

Brilliant LB, thank you for penning your thoughts. Nothing short of 10’s would do after that exhilarating performance.

I would like to add, in case it had gone unnoticed, that Coquelin’s skill set was positively Messiesque yesterday!!!!! He is assured on the ball, his close control was amazing, he made some great tackles and his passing was sublime. He got several ooooooh’s from me 🙂

Love that clip of Kostaphi v Costa hahahahaha

And Theo, whoever got that fire started in his belly I hope they can keep it stoked.

Iwobi reminds me of a player we had years ago but I just can’t put my finger on who ………….. thoughts?

14. LBG says:

Where’s Chopper this morning?

15. double98 says:

Walcott was a beast. He tackled and chased back and poured forward and was bright and switched on the whole game.

LB. Enjoyed the Chelsea blog 🙂

Peaches. A better Ray Parlour?

thanks LB! I was wondering how you are going to rate players after you gave all 9s after the average game.

The team were a delight to watch. And Sanchez-Ozil combo with Sanchez through the middle is the best we have seen since TH-DB duo. They clearly love playing together.

And Koscielny. Koscielny!! with his pocketfulls of shit…could not possibly do a better job.

In retrospect I think it is a shame we had Cech in goal, could just as well put another striker and go into double figures.

Ruud Gullit made me laugh on Match of the Day – he described Chelsea’s performance as Driving Miss Daisy 🙂

They were poor, could not string one solid attack together. What will Abramovitch do, fire Conte and bring Jose back 🙂

20. Gurkhadan says:

This performance reminded me of the way we played against united last season, which also ended three nil. Very similar, no giroud that day and Theo, Ozil and Sanchez ripped them apart. Unfortunately we couldn’t maintain that level of performance last season. On the plus side we looked more solid at the back than I’ve seen for a long time and Xhaka looks like he is going to be class and might get a run in the side now the Coq is out. Let’s hope performances like this is a new phase for the team.

21. John says:

Let me start by saying well done to Arsenal as the best team by far won the match.
    Once again Chelsea’s statue like defence made a good team look great and until we address the aging defence we will always be vulnerable to slick,quick attacking team’s like the Gunners.
    Once I knew JT was not playing I helped myself to the 3/1 on offer for Arsenal minus a goal so I was happy enough with the result coz I expected it.

oh feck, Wiggins was taking performance enhancing drugs. He says they were approved by the cycling federations etc and it was to help him with allergies and asthma, BUT they were one of the most potent performance enhancing drugs. Oh shit!!!

23. VP of Oz says:

Nice one LB, however I would’ve rated their performance higher, 11 as per below –

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and…
    Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
    Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
    Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it’s louder? Is it any louder?
    Nigel Tufnel: Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You’re on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you’re on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
    Marty DiBergi: I don’t know.
    Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
    Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
    Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
    Marty DiBergi: Why don’t you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
    Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.

24. LBG says:

Jonathan Lies in the Telegraph
    “..a touch of class ( was clearly evident) for the third goal. Mesut Oil evaded the challenge of Kante as if dodging an ex girlfriend he had just spotted in the frozen food aisle at Saintsbury’s”….

25. LBG says:

For old Jonathan Liew …….even predictive text finds him out for his ” normal” analysis of Arsenal performances. What a joy to see all these expert commentators eating humble pie. Now all we’ve got to is keep it up Gunners!

LBG 9.58. That is worthy of Rocky Lives.

Thanks LB, I agree 10’s don’t do our boys justice 🙂

We had a team yesterday with no weak links and a bench full of players of comparable quality. Had the game gone the other way, the headlines would have been about men v boys.

I hope we stick with this eleven as the basis of our best side. I agree Giroud didn’t improve the team and still cannot see who Ramsey could replace.

Thanks LB
    Bet you enjoyed inking that one 🙂

I’ve only seen the goals, but the short snippet of build up play to each was pure joy

30. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha ha. nice one, LB. still laughing. 🙂

31. Red Arnie says:

only 10? I suggest an 11 against each. It was a big occasion, and everyone gave 110%. If we can consistently hold to 10 or 9 in each game, we are on. onwards and upwards. COYG. 🙂

32. Red Arnie says:

nice vids/pics, Shard and Chas. 🙂

Eddie

The real clue to that little lot regarding Wiggins is that

THE MEDS HE TOOK WERE APPROVED

To say that cycling is strict when it comes to performance enhancing drugs is an understatement; I could bore you with why it is more strict than many other sports now but with its history I think you might have some idea of how much further they have felt they have had to go to clean the whole thing up.

The medicine that Wiggins took for his asthma which he has done throughout his career is merely that: medicine for asthma and he has always had the common sense to ask permission to take it and waited for approval before doing so.

Think about that for a second: do you think a Swiss/French organisation is going to agree to allow a Brit an advantage? France agree in writing to give a Brit an advantage — in cycling — their sport?

Furthermore, imagine all the journalists out there who were saying that Armstrong was taking illegal substances and getting ignored for years only to be proved right in the end, well they are still out there and if they are ignoring this they are doing so because there is nothing in it.

Every drug cheat should be exposed but just labeling someone with this title when there is no evidence is wrong, the sadness is that someone like Wiggins can be wrongly tarnished as you have shown to be the case above, that is not a slight on you, that is a slight on how journalism works in this country.

It is the sporting equivalent of accusing someone of rape, that person is wrongly tarnished forever by association and the reason I say wrongly is that not only was it, in this case, consensual — he got it in writing.

IT WAS APPROVED.

LB. No-one could have said it better. Thank you.

We live in an era when opinion, especially negative opinion becomes fact.

This is a great read from a Chelsea blog, anything with a line like this about Chelsea is worth a look “we were already 2-0 down thanks to f*ckmuppetry of the kind of calibre that saw Napoleon march on Moscow wearing budgie smugglers and a sun hat.”

37. Shard says:

Arnie!!!

Long time no see. Though that is probably my fault 🙂

How have you been?

Did the Wengerball on display yesterday draw you out?

38. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha, Shard. No comments on what drew me out, but out of the woodwork I am all right. 🙂

I am conscious I did not respond to your email. Life has been tough. 🙂

39. Red Arnie says:

Raddy. Nice comment. That was also one of the reasons I had withdrawn myself. hmmm. 🙂

40. Shard says:

LB

Rather than what it says about Wiggins, I think it is worth questioning the system. On what basis drugs are put on the banned substance list, and in what quantities. Which drugs can be used as a therapeutic use exception, and which can’t. It is definitely a system which walks in the grey areas, and is liable for misuse, and heavily open to pressures from the pharma industry to boot. Which might explain why Meldonium, which is not US FDA approved gets banned, but similar other drugs don’t. I know Russia bashing is passe in the UK, but the evidence against them put forth by Wada was flimsy at best and certainly did not warrant some of the actions that were taken. Including banning people never tainted by even any allegation. Political and economic pressures definitely play a part and it remains something that the common public don’t, and can’t understand. So Wiggins is in the clear because he did nothing illegal, but I’m not convinced it is a fair system.

LB/Peaches

Why are you both down there on cloud 9?

You should come up and join us – we just found out that there’s a cloud 10 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

42. Shard says:

arnie

Hope life is good, even if it’s tough.

Be back in a few.

43. wally says:

That was a rather comprehensive win. I join the chorus in praise of ozil/sanchez. More and more impressed with Iwobi each time. very nimble for such a big boy and he’s got some vision/awareness to go with it. He’s just getting started. And what to say about walcott. I thot it was time to bin him but he’s demonstrating that he can be useful on a regular basis. Mustafi and kos developing a good partnership. And that shove by kos on Snidely Whiplash and then turning away was a great demonstration of how much this team has matured. Never would have seen that in the recent past. Arsenal sending a message?
    Chelsea were dire. Conte has a lot of work to do. For some reason i like the guy.
    Next set of test come Nov. Let’s not drop the ball

Arnie,

Keep your spirits (single malt) up – life has it’s ups and downs but when Arsenal beat Chelsea everything else goes away even if just for a moment.

I hope that “Life has been tough” means that that phase of life has passed.

Keep posting, we all appreciate your input.

45. Shard says:

I recently read a (possible) reason for why we say ‘on cloud 9′

Apparently when the first cloud atlas was first published in the late 1800s, it mentioned 10 types of clouds, with the characteristic fluffy cloud (cumulonimbus?) put at no.9.

One person not on cloud 9 today will be Gary Cahill. He it was that tried to smash Alexis’ leg, which led to Wenger pushing Mourinho back, and Jose broke his own face with the contortions.

A few weeks ago, Gary Cahill also went on BBC with an air of righteous outrage, to complain about a referee decision that didn’t give the foul when he was caught while dilly dallying on the ball. The BBC were so very supportive of him and adamant that he should not receive any sanction from the FA for his comments about the referee because ‘he spoke from the heart’. Maybe he could go on Motd again and cry about Alexis catching him on the ball and gain the support of the pundits again. This didn’t quite beat John Terry falling over, but it came close.

(Chelsea bring out the pettiness in me)

Shard

As you know I was making a flippant comment about getting onto a higher echelon than Cloud 9.

But your comment sparked my interest and I looked up different cloud types.

As you can see Cloud 9 is not all it’s made out to be as it has a very dark and thunderous underside.

……………………………………………………………………………………….

Cumulonimbus (Cloud 9)

The thunderstorm cloud, this is a heavy and dense cloud in the form of a mountain or huge tower. The upper portion is usually smoothed, fibrous or striated and nearly always flattened in the shape of an anvil or vast plume.

Under the base of this cloud which is often very dark, there are often low ragged clouds that may or may not merge with the base. They produce precipitation, which sometimes is in the form of virga.

Cumulonimbus clouds also produce hail and tornadoes.

Stratocumulus (Cloud 10)

Gray or whitish patch, sheet, or layered clouds which almost always have dark tessellations (honeycomb appearance), rounded masses or rolls. Except for virga they are non-fibrous and may or may not be merged.

They also have regularly arranged small elements with an apparent width of more than five degrees (three fingers – at arm’s length).

………………………………………………………………………………………….

Now it’s a lot clearer to me.

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Chas,

I picture speaks a thousand words…………….

🙂 🙂 🙂

LB – I didn’t say Wiggins is a cheat, but he said himself he took those drugs, with approval for his asthma. Those drugs were amongst the strongest performance enhancing ones. There were other drugs for his condition, as I understand it

And Raddy – whose opinion becomes fact?? Wiggins was interviewed this week and the story is out, no opinions.

chas @2:08 🙂 🙂 🙂

Eddie

You see from my point of view he makes clear that he took the approved drugs for his asthma condition. From which I think it is reasonable to assume that without them he would not have been able to perform at all so he took the strongest approved available to help his performance and so what do the media take from that:

Wiggins takes performance enhancing drugs.

BR

You forgot this little gem that followed on in the Chelsea blog.

“Oh dear Gary Cahill. Oh dear. (And this is coming from me, when most of my chums know that given the chance I would cling to his leg like a horny Jack Russell if there wasn’t someone there to sit on me and prevent me from being arrested)”

LB – you said it yourself – without drugs he wouldn’t be able to compete.
    Don’t get me wrong, I am his great admirer, but the truth is that he took performance enhancing drugs without which he wouldn’t have won whatever he did win. This is obviously a grey area, but I feel a bit uncomfortable with it.

54. Excellent LB

I vey much enjoyed your fair marking system. A few years back I was asked to mark some first year Accountancy students. Been a fair person and in the interests of harmony, I failed them all.

I also liked how you ask the reader to form there own opinion? It shows you are a well balanced individual who could comfortably handle hard core drugs.

Any one want to know what mind altering drugs can do but are to frightened to take them? I recommend watching two hours of Val Doonican videos. They have the same effect, making you believe that Bill Oddie is planning your murder with the added bonus of developing a fascination for V neck sweaters.

We were excellent. It’s the best balance we’ve had up front for a long time. Iwobi comes inside and plays between the lines, Theo makes movement to get behind, and Alexis has opportunity to compliment these movements by doing both. Throw in the Genius of Ozil, were good to go.

It just goes to show that a player is only as good as his teammates. The ability to compliment each other brings out individual strengths and conversly masks individual weakness.

Arsenes building another great team here.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring.

Eddie

The taking of any drug is a grey area. If you had a headache would you take a paracetamol? The answer is probably yes. If you had an abscess in a tooth would you take ibuprofen, the answer is probably yes.

In both cases you would have taken drugs to enable you to perform in daily life. And if you were a professional sportsman and you had taken the same you would have also taken something to enable you to perform and therefore in both cases you would have taken performance enhancing drugs.

This is the reason for having a list of drugs that are and are not acceptable; the reason is also to reduce the grey area as much as possible. It will never be perfect but sportspeople who use drugs that are on the acceptable list or are on it but require written permission from the governing bodies have not broken any rule and should not be tarred with the same brush as the cheats who use substances to gain unfair advantage.

Eddie

I am probably going on about this a bit too much. Cycling is still suffering from a deserved bad reputation and as such it is understandable that you are cynical. Our comments show me that the sport clearly has some way to go to change the minds of people like yourself.

My aim was to try and show you the difference between things like paracetamol and EPO. I am not sure that I succeeded but this is a football site and I will now stop here.

Have a nice evening.

57. Shard says:

LB

I haven’t read the Wiggins interview, but paracetamol is different to Asthma medication, in that asthma medication generally contains steroids.

Put it this way, if the media had put out a report saying Russians were allowed to cheat by taking prescription meds, would you have the same reaction? Or would you be a bit more cynical?

Who decides which medicines make it to the acceptable list? Which athletes are fit to receive the exemptions? Why are certain drugs outlawed while others continue? The point, as far as I’m concerned, is not to discredit Wiggins, but ask questions about how the system works. Sharapova was banned because Meldonium was banned two months prior. No TUE for her despite her claims that she’s been taking it for 10 years for certain conditions. Not saying Wiggins did the same thing. Sharapova didn’t follow the rules, but I’m questioning the rules here.

Once you give someone the power to not just test for drugs, selective as that process of identifying illegal is, but then also decide who gets to use those same illegal drugs and who doesn’t, it sets alarm bells off for me. Personally, I hadn’t heard about this TUE before. It really isn’t something that sits well with me merely on the idea that an ‘authority’ decides so it’s all ok.

Shard. Surely a rule is a rule whomever sets it?

We had a similar discussion about whether Livermore should have been sent off. The fact is that the rule states that if the referee believes it was deliberate then it is a straight red, that is the rule. The major difference between this and the cycling drug rules is that in Livermore’s case it is view of an individual, in Wiggins case it is the written and many times discussed rule about drugs in a sport whose reputation has been ruined by drug cheats.

The Sharapova case is similar. She or her advisers are professionals and if they did not know of the changes in the rules then one can only question their abilities, Maria has a team of doctors, physio’s and trainers – perhaps she should be suing them.

Anyway….. I am still thrilled about our 2nd and 3rd goals. Artistry at it’s highest level

60. Shard says:

BR

Agreed. But a rule isn’t an absolute. It is just something deemed to be acceptable by certain people at a certain time. (and who these people are matters).

I feel the TUE (as indeed the system of how drugs get blacklisted) demands more inspection, because it seems open to misuse. Or perhaps there are adequate safeguards and it isn’t, and just a deeper discussion/understanding of it is required.

But anyway. That is by the by.

Yes, our second goal was a thing of beauty. Even on the replays it is difficult to keep up with the speed of the passing and the movement to make it happen.

The third goal was fun for the way Ozil ran the length of the pitch, the timing of his pass to Alexis, and though his volley was scuffed/lucky, I am happy enough to celebrate it as a stroke of genius. It really looked like Ozil was enjoying himself out there. (and even got his ear pulled by Mustafi)

Shard

The rules are absolute. Here they are laid out by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA)

And remember TUE’s are only given before an athlete uses a substance not after.

Moving on I like to think that Ozil hit that shot to score exactly as he planned it, no luck, no scuff, just pure skill.

Blimey, I have just seen the West Ham score, hmmm, relegation? That would be funny.

63. Shard says:

LB

Thanks for the link. I will go through it when I have the time.

Perhaps I wasn’t clear in what I meant. The rules are absolute in the sense that people have to follow them. (Which Wiggins did and Sharapova didn’t) The rules are not absolute in the sense that they are open to change, and are found to sometimes need change because they aren’t working like they should.

I did think that might be the case on Ozil, but didn’t trust myself to not be biased in that regard. Ozil’s finishing isn’t always great. However, like I said, I am happy to agree with that and celebrate it as such.

West Ham relegated in a new stadium despite being gifted it would be incredibly funny. Even though I harbour no ill will towards West Ham.

LB – even if I taken all the ibuprofen and paracetemol in the world, they would not help me win Tour de France.

My dogs are watching the sheep dog competition with great interest, this is hilarious 🙂

65. TotalArsenal says:

Nice one LB.

What a superb win by the whole team and all based around Arsene’s new system of play. Not a single weakness in the system (well almost as we left Nacho too unprotected on the left at times) and all gunning for the Chavs. 45 minutes of pressing and bruising them was enough: 3-0 to the mean guys and our sorry opponents wanted nothing more than the game to be over. Arsene showed mercy towards Conte, cause if he had pressed on in the second half it could have been a lot worse for them. But you just cannot help it when you have class. 🙂

Bring on Basel.

What would be the equivalent of Goggle Box for dogs?

no idea, I had to google GoggleBox 🙂 🙂

chas – just as well I changed my mind about supporting West Ham! I was very wise to stick with the Arsenal for another season

Wisdom is your middle name

and Bullshitter yours 🙂

LB – I read your report and ratings again, I still like it
    One question though – why is Iwobi sublime and Sanchez just awesome ? I think it should have been the other way round, don’t you?

76. Neverhappywhingeingdoomer says:

Thanks LB (and Raddy for yesterdays Churchillian pre-match…sorry wasn’t here).

I really enjoyed that game. It wasn’t just the win but the way we played. Seems Arsene has now decided to listen to Micky and myself and employ the fluid front 3 🙂 I wonder if this system brings out the best in Theo because he has more opportunity to dovetail into central areas?

Chas, if I had been in the FFB for a tactical chinwag my team, tactics, substitutions, choice of underwear, would have been exactly the same as Arsene’s. So glad now that I sent him that e-mail and that he listened.

He probably never read it when he saw it was well over 20 thousand words.

Wiggins on holiday.

Sorry.

Ahh, Eddie more thought went into that than probably meets the eye.

Iwobi is a tad more subtle that Sanchez and as such I thought that sublime would me more appropriate where as Sanchez really is shock and awe so awesome seemed the way forward.

Your obviously pulling my leg but honestly I did actually think about that difference and thoroughly enjoyed doing so.

Ooooh TA

You also spotted it as well.

“Not a single weakness in the system (well almost as we left Nacho too unprotected on the left at times)”

Iwobi was not covering him enough, contrast that with the never seen before cover that Theo was offering on the other side and the difference was startling.

I thought about giving Iwobi the award of “Did Pretty Well When Attacking But Fell Short When Defending” but it didn’t have the same ring as simply “Sublime”.

The other thing I forgot to mention was that I thought Gibbs was really good when he came on, very relaxed, very calm and saved a goal to boot.

Superb. 10

82. TotalArsenal says:

Sublime definitely covers it, LB 😀

83. oz gunner says:

Great stuff LB. Love the ratings and everything is good in the world. How can it now be after that performance?

Had flashbacks of our 2010 performance against them (3-1). That night we played all over them, pressed all over the pitch and made them look second rate. Hopefully we push continue on with it. A lot to like about this squad. Our CB pairing…looks mouth wateringly good.

Bottle that desire and intensity Theo. Beautiful to see.

The cup is ours.

Morning all, haven’t been around to enjoy the win as I’ve been hunting for a new car (well a new used one) as I have just killed my second car in 5 years. This time the cam belt failed and pop there goes the engine.

I put 30k miles on a car a year so it’s unsurprising I kill them.

Didn’t get to watch live as I jacked in BT Sport, performance looked awesome from highlights I’ve seen.

As others mentioned it’s not just the first eleven that looks strong it’s the bench too.

On Wiggins and all the other TUEs I think you have to consider length of effect and length of time the substance (performance enhancing element stays in the body having a positive effect). Why do athletes take steroids? It’s like this : clean athlete, fmday one train hard (power training), day two relax technical training allowing muscles time to recover and repair to grow stronger. Doped athlete: day one power training, day two power training. Muscles repair without rest muscles strengthen without rest. With steroids the athlete can do more power training in a day than a clean athlete can. In the end the doped athlete can achieve more power sessions than a clean athlete meaning that in say a 8 week summer training camp the doped athlete can do more power training than the clean athlete can do in a year.

Dignified gloatage is how I’d describe comments yesterday

Nice work. Great pics ‘n shit.

Morning all

On the doping thing, apparently both Serena and Venus Williams both had asthma as well 🙂

Is that Troy post op?

both asthmatic sisters look pathetic in girly little skirts with lacey details.

LB – yes, I was pulling your leg 🙂 I think Sanchez is both awesome and sublime

chas 8.02. I can name all the players bar two – the GK and the little bald chap next to Sammy Nelson.

Great pic.

I just watched something crazy on the BBC – police are attending workshops about obese, unhealthy, costly to the NHS lifestyles. Will they start nicking people for being fat bastards?? wtf

Turner Prize nominee at Tate, Andrea Hamilton

most hunted mammal in the world

Raddy – as usual, some weird Asian medicinemade of pangolins, sickening

BR
    I was the same.
    I think they are David Court and Paul Barron. 🙂

BR

What in earth is going on, on the other side of bridge. Gunfights, explosions, have the Swedes gone mad?

99. Red Arnie says:

Thank you, GN5. The future is always bright and colourful. Were it not, what would be the point in getting up and walking the mile? 🙂

GiE – did you buy a new second hand car yet? It took me months to replace the burned down Golf, I was a great car and only 38k miles on the clock, I don’t drive much. Anyway, I bought a Qashqai which I dreamt off for years. Got it delivered, went for a spin and knew I hated it, it is a pile of poo to drive. Nice looking but shit on the road – no acceleration, no real power, can’t do corners in 3rd or bends in 4th. I gave it back after a week and got myself a nice little nippy number

Re doping – I still hope Wiggins really took it for his asthma. It is easy to check – you don’t develop asthma in your 20s or 30s. If he suffered from it as a kid, then he is clean as a whistle. Simples.
    My first ever boyfriend’s sister died of asthma at the age of 18 so I am sort of familiar with the horrible disease. Of course it doesn’t give me right to judge Wiggins, whom I adore, but rings some doubts in my mind. Let’s hope I am wrong.

you missed THE match? tsa tsa tsa … what a shame

10.46. Is that Paul Vaessen in the 11 shirt next to Jennings?

LB. The explosion was a large firework. The shootings are not so rare in Malmo which has a turf war for control of drugs.

Thanks to Sweden’s past immigration policy 65% of Malmo residents were not born in Sweden. It is has caused major social problems (when guiding I am invariably asked about the effect of immigration policy in Scandinavia).

BR
    I think it’s that wanker Stewart Robson.

Think about it Eddie.

Do you think the French press would let Wiggins get away with such an advantage with out screaming FOUL if the necessary medicine for his asthma was not applied for and approved in writing before taking it.

As for whether he has been taking it since he was a kid?

It is common knowledge in the professional cycling world that Bradley Wiggins has suffered from asthma attacks since he was a child.

Of course it is Robson. I liked him when he first got into the team in the early ’80’s. Sadly, the man turned out to be a complete and utter tool (henceforth known as The CUTT)

3.09. Flash bastard

Hmm, I didn’t realise that Mustafi had Albanian roots, the same as Xhaka, interesting pairing.

109. chas mobile says:

110. chas mobile says:

111. My take on Bradley Wiggins? Who cares.

This is a bloke who rides a bicycle for gods sake. No one ever gave me a medal for hurdling my chopper over the infamous but extraordinary mass of dog shit on the Durnsford Road. Some kid once fell into that and instantaneously turned clinically insane.

Raddy, how could you think that was the great Turin slayer Paul Vaessen in chas photo? I got all those players and to make It exciting was staring at it upside down. Which actually helped identifying Robson. Small Cock.

My take on banned drugs is simple – if the usage enhances the individuals ability to perform than they should not be used, as it could give them an unfair advantage over other competitors..

It seems to me that under the current ruling individuals with an illness get an unfair advantage.

Just the opinion of someone who has never taken any form of illicit drugs in my lifetime – no need to as I got high enough on a good single malt.

Klopp on MNF. Brilliant. His explanations of tactics was excellent.

Can we sign him post-AW?

I’m watching the Burnley v Watford game – it will give me an idea of what to expect on Sunday.

poor Cesc. I still love him.

LB – you would know about Mustafi’s Albanian descent if you read my comments back in July 🙂

I thought Basel was tomorrow, never mind, Wednesday is good too

July???

I can’t even remember last Friday.

Bet you can remember 2 hours on Saturday

GN5

The theory is that people with an illness take the necessary to level the playing field rather than tip it to their favour.

Every one would cry FOUL if someone with an illness got and advantage because then the word illness would need inverted comas.

“Illness”

LB,

That makes more sense, I have many questions and thoughts on the subject but I’ll let it rest as I am just a punter who like everything to be on the up and up.

GN5 “Just the opinion of someone who has never taken any form of illicit drugs in my lifetime ”

What??? You mean like no weed, black, red leb, wiz, coke, acid, uppers, downers, blow, bongs nuffink????

Shit a brick mate, not surprising you end up watching Burnely Watford is it? 🙂

Hey Erik

Thinking of drugs and hippies and stuff. Was at a friends’ house Saturday night. She’s nice, he’s a still wrecked old hippy type. Last year, they went on holiday to Puerta Rico. Hated it.

Apparently, he wasn’t “feeling well” when he booked the holiday. Meant Costa Rica.

Burnley v Watford = Mogadon

Debbie Harry?

Sigh? Or a chap called Simon?

Just proving I can speak as many languages as Mustafi

Micky 7.03 😀 😀

Morning all, am I the only one that thinks the press should leave Sam Allardice alone and let him get on with managing the National team?

Typical of the British press, build someone up, and then try and knock them down. Although the story about 10 Premier League managers taking transfer bungs is intriguing, I hope they publish the list of names

Mind you, doing a deal for £400k to advise on ways of getting around transfer rules when you’re England manager is dubious to say the least!

If true, Sam is finished as England manager.

Roll on Eddie Howe!

Or Pardew 🙂 🙂

Or Stevie Bruce, who was the other one interviewed with Fat Sam.

Rasp – Eddie Howe would be my absolute favourite. Ive always liked him, not just because of his fair hair of course. Good manager, yet there is something steely/menacing about him.

did anybody watch the mappet show last night? I was told that Trump couldn’t do full 90mins and should have been subbed after first half

Watched the whole “show” Eddie

Ooops, just seen the Sam clanger. That’s that for him then.

micky – and? was it entertaining and any change of heart?

Nothing like as entertaining as I’d hoped and expected

I’ve read US polls had a Clinton win, but then they would.

So that’s our future manager problem solved 🙂

Bloody hell, just realized I’m on another speed awareness course tomorrow pm. If it doesn’t ‘effing well finish on time, I’ll be taking the points as I “hurry” home in time for KO

I am not doing well on timing games this season at all

‘another speed awareness’ course. 😆

Whereas most seasons you are 100% on the ball with the timing of games. 🙂

147. fred1266 says:

Hmm Eddie u disappoint m

fred – I’m glad to hear it 🙂

micky 🙂 🙂 I’m not going to tell you how much is my car insurance now after several recent accidents 🙂

I enjoyed that vid.

Would like another win tomorrow ( and a Spurs defeat tonight)

Johnson – whose great-grandfather was Turkish – called it “a scandal” that a German court had granted an injunction to prevent comedian Jan Böhmermann repeating his offensive skit about the Turkish president.

“If somebody wants to make a joke about the love that flowers between the Turkish president and a goat, he should be able to do so, in any European country, including Turkey,” Johnson told interviewer Nicholas Farrell, who then challenged him to enter the Spectator’s poetry prize.

Johnson then offered the limerick:
    “There was a young fellow from Ankara,
    Who was a terrific wankerer.
    Till he sowed his wild oats,
    With the help of a goat,
    But he didn’t even stop to thankera.”

oh dear, I thought right away that T May gave him a rope so he’d hang himself. Ejeet with a public school accent

Basel is a pretty good team, no? Some EPL team lost to them recently if I remember correctly

Is that really Boris? Worrying if it is.

155. To be fair to Boris, he made those comments about Erdogan when just a humble back bencher. As far as I’m concerned, its every back benchers duty to hold the government to account, especially Erdogans,

I have no idea how long he has been having sex with his washing machine

Do you think he prefers quick spin or the eco-mode?

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

‘humble back bencher’ 😆

Donald Trump believes that the truth is an inconvenient fact and should be manipulated to become a “Trump truth”.

Allardyce gone. Shame but inevitable.

I didn’t realise he talked about bending FA rules since he was appointed the English manager. Peaches just told me, I was sure it was an old story some whistle blower dug up some old story.

This is pretty disgusting then .To have the best job in the country and not to respect it, very wrong in my books

As someone said earlier, I think he should be severely punished and made to stay.

Yah.

Ozil signs a new contract, well that at least is some good news.

165. ………..and Jenks is back in training

What a shame, Allardyce is exactly the horrible loud, lairy, arrogant banned word that is needed to do that job.

They could have at least let him grovel and then they would have had him exactly where they wanted him. The only way he could have recovered is if he won some thing.

And boy would he have tried hard.

They missed a trick.

Now we will have goody two shoes Southgate.

I despair.

167. …………and Nik just scored his first goal for Forest

Copenhagen 3 up.
    A certain Mr Radford will be a tad pleased.

Scummers 1 up

spuds are starting to get irritating again

They were irritating for all of the second half of last season but that’s what made that last day all the more enjoyable.

Arsenal have been handed a boost with the news that Francis Coquelin’s injury is not as serious as first feared.

Coquelin was taken off in the first half of the 3-0 victory over Chelsea on Saturday amid worries he had suffered a recurrence of the medial ligament injury the midfielder was struck by last season.

Reports earlier this week suggested the Frenchman could struggle to play again this calendar year, but scans have proven much more positive.

“Coquelin is out for tomorrow but the scan was good – he should be three weeks out,” Arsene Wenger said.

Arsenal face FC Basel in the Champions League on Wednesday, with summer signing Granit Xhaka expected to replace Coquelin in central midfield.

174. Red Arnie says:

techie help required. why does my Firefox crash roughly 15 minutes I enter the AA site? hmmm. 🙂

175. TotalArsenal says:

This is for GB to make him happy 😜

Not nice when you’re last to be picked for playground football.

Fat Sam gets 6 figure settlement for his 67 days in charge.
    It’s almost as if he knew what was going to happen when he agreed to the sting.
    Beautiful.

Ha ha ha Chas
    Your “Sam knew” theory was a thought of mine. I bet Mrs Sam had the fizz on ice last night.

Lovely vid of the dogs

No way. 3m a year for doing a part-time job? Just travelling around the country watching the occasional game from the directors box after a slap-up feed and overseeing the odd training session.

7 figures are much better than 6 figures for doing very little

All true Erik. International Manager does appear a seriously cushy number.

Mind you, and I didn’t read any of the articles beyond the headlines, but why would The Telegraph try to set Fatty up like that?

Yeah, but just imagine the untold abuse he’d most definitely have got when England were shite.
    Much, much better off out of it.

Sam after the champagne last night.

Yes Chas, I’m on board with the “Sam stiffed them” line, and I can’t say I blame him 🙂

I think FA did try to keep Allardyce, give him big fine.slap his wrist and send him off to do the job, but Fat Sam rejected that. Hence the news headlines – left by mutual consent

here we go, just as I suspected – Wenger penciled for the English job

he he he, someone sent me a text

“Sam will think twice before having dinner again with a stranger of a business man with a go-pro on his head”

😀 😀

It surprised me that it was the Telegraph who set up this sting. Why would they do so? Did they know Allardyce was “dirty” but couldn’t prove it?

This is Sun/Mirror territory not a broadsheet

189. TotalArsenal says:

Morning AAers 😀⚽️

Superb collection of videos, images and tweets Chas. I am amazed that all that drinking has no affect on your limitless creativity. 🙃

looking forward to the BR MpV.

PM done. Will post soon.