So do you think Arsenal can win the League now?

The Man City love in that went into overdrive this weekend is at last starting to abate and the focus is turning towards the appearance of the first chink in Perfect Pep’s amour: Claudio Bravo? Oh boy is he going to be bullied now. Claudio meet Arnoutovic and while I am at it here’s Shawcross……

It didn’t seem to cross a single one of those Guadiola fawning journalists that the reason for City’s dominance was not that they were so good but rather that Manu were so poor — and they were, as poor as pants in the first half. I look forward to playing them I don’t think we have anything to be worried about.

But before that, of course, we have the chance to test ourselves against Chelsea. Yet again I see no reason to be worried or certainly less than in recent seasons. Conte looks out of his depth especially in the transfer window. The idea of a Chelsea manger moaning about the spiraling cost of transfer fees got the same amount of sympathy from me as I did Keith Vaz for his infractions last week; you reap what you sow boys. Only being able to sign Batshuayi and Side Show Bob goes to show how hard it was to bring in big names and that is of course with the help of a billionaire who doesn’t care whether he ever gets repaid or not.

Or does he? We don’t get very much to chew on when it comes to Stan Kroenke but every now and then we get thrown a scrap. The last time was a couple of years ago when he was over and at the training ground where the memorable point he made was how Arsene Wenger was out in the rain taking the training sessions. The odd thing about this was that Kroenke was surprised that Wenger was prepared to get wet rather than, as I saw it, that our manager was simply doing his job for which he is very well paid. I know Wenger’s wages are used as a stick to beat him with but I think that it is appropriate here – a bit of rain, please?

Back to the story, Kroenke made one other observation that stayed with me and that was when asked about Chelsea’s spending, and this is the insight of one billionaire into another, he said that they may spend their money without return for a while but they won’t continue doing it forever and I think that is where we are with Chelsea now; their golden days of care free spending are over and, by contrast, the spending power that our new stadium affords us is now coming to the fore.

It wasn’t great on Saturday; we are not going to have a style of football named after us for that performance Tikka Takka? Nah. But what it did show, and I have been dying to use this line by VP of Oz, was that there was “a real sense that some steel was being forged”. Come on, how good is that? And what’s more, the more I think about it the more it rings true.

Arsene knows already who his “go to” back 5 are, so that is sorted. In the midfield there are many possibilities, all good and that can be altered and adjusted to suit the opposition which leaves the attack. It is not clear which is the best combo and I doubt that AW has it clear in his mind who his “go to” attack is either but fortunately we still have two more games to iron more of these things out and continue to improve before we are tested by Chelsea and if we can just keep 11 players on the field this time I think we will be singing ‘One Team in London’ with a bit more conviction this time around which brings me back to the title.

LB

110 Responses to So do you think Arsenal can win the League now?

oh wow, what a treat, another post from LB, great, I’m off to read it

Thanks very much LB

The title? On paper, yes, it’s possible based on a more physical midfield than last season. The biggest obstacles will be:

Injuries, the home support, goals.

Luck, rotation for the injuries.
    Early goal, or it’s a deadly atmosphere, for the second.
    Very reliant on Mesut and Sanchez. Hopefully Perez clicks

no. the answer is still no. Not because I think we are not good enough, but because I still think we haven’t got a prolific striker.

Chavs might be poor, but they have disgusting Diego. City have Aguerro and ManU have Ibra. Ok for completeness – Spurs have Kane.

We have Ollie, Perez and Sanchez. None of them brilliant and my theory was proven on Saturday. Chas’s mate Forster didn’t make one single save. We had chances, we did try, but not one of our players could put some brilliant balls in the net. Except for Kos and Santi’s pen the balls were flying anywhere and everywhere but in the direction of the goal. Terrible.

Good point about Abramovitch finally wanting some returns sounds reasonable to me. If he gets no returns soon he will start selling players to Rubin Kazan and Moscow Locomotiv.

Even better point about Vaz, dirty rotten liar. In charge of the Conduct Committee, hypocrite if ever there was one.

Thanks for the terrific post. I have some more thinking to do.

micky – I agree.

If we had Costa or Ibra, or Aguerro, do you think we would win the league. I think so

Eddie
    Not necessarily, but obviously chances would be improved, but then again, any side can be improved

A well written piece that exactly puts the icing on the scone, and it is no surprise that the general mood of the article is upbeat and enthusiastic.

Kudos, LB.

I am not in the “referees are all out to get us” camp, because like all of us they are fallible, and in any given group there are always those who are good at what they do, others who are adequate, and then those who are just sub-standard.

My concern looking forward to the Chelsea game, is the inconsistencies of the referees in applying the laws of the game, and my chief bugbear is the terrible leniency that seems to be bestowed on that talented thug Costa. Talented? Yes, he is, and he does not need to demonstrate his latent ability to perfectly imitate a dying swan, and neither should he be allowed to charge around like an enraged bull looking for someone to gore confident that the referees, so far, will simply smack him on the wrist.
    A kick in the gonads would be far more appropriate.

If he is allowed to run rampant – that could cause us to lose the game, and possibly one of our players to a red card for retaliation, as they do not have the clemency of the referees to depend on.

yeah, but we don’t care about any other side, do we 🙂

Ahhh RA, just the man. You may know this: do you know how it is possible for Takuma Assano to be able to play in Germany for Stuttgart although he is apparently unable to get a work permit that would allow him to play here?

That’s a jumbled sentence but I think you get the drift?

9. I don’t see it happening this year. Arsenal started badly against Liverpool and Leicester.
    Liverpool have beaten both of them Arsenal and Leicester.
    Manchester Clubs have started strongly.
    Chelsea looks to be good.
    Tot are even ontop of Arsenal at the moment.

10. VP of Oz says:

Thanks LB
    Not sure about the steel in this back four vs PSG –
    Bellerin><Gibbs

Yes we will win the league

And I still go back to my past comments on Arsenal being a barometer of success in the EPL.
    If any of the new big club managers – Conte, Moaner or Guardolia finish below Wenger at seasons-end, they will be deemed as having failed and the media will start talking about Wengers methods being a failure for the next season…

11. VP of Oz says:

OK, not sure what happened there?
    Bellerin, Mustafi, Monreal, Gibbs

12. TotalArsenal says:

Lovely written post, LB, it flows like the Danube. 🙂

Of course we CAN win it. but whether we will depends on all sorts of things during the season. And as the weekend – and in indeed the whole of last season – has shown, it is not the Costas, Agueros or Ibrahimovices that win you the league: teams do. And our team has scored two goals per game until now, seven different goal scorers, and the likes of Ollie and Alexis are yet to get hot. Steel and experience in the spine, good options up-front, Rambo to come back, three of the finest key passes producers in Xhaka, Santi and Mesut… Yeah what is not to love?

Re Chavs… let’s play Hull first and try and get three points, then we will see how we can skin them. Would love it though!

Cheers, LB.
    Another corker, ta
    I was trying to think of a name for the style of football we played on Saturday.
    Nicker Nacker, maybe? We certainly nicked it at the death after playing like a load of old b*ll*cks. 🙂

Can we win the League? Of course.
    Will we? It’s in the lap of the gods.

Eddie

Everyone knows Agerro is a class apart but maybe slightly injury-prone.

Ibra’s record speaks for itself, but can his quality raise a mediocre manc team – time will tell.

What’s all this garbage about Costa?
    He’s no better than what we’ve already got.

15. Bill78 says:

Hello to all Arsenal fans here.
    It is my first time here in this website. I have a great time to read the articles published in this blog. I miss the times of our crowns and other titles during 2000-2004. I have a big desire to revive Arsenal fans around the planet and open a group for Arsenal Items on Cosmood and it will enable for fans worldwide to buy or get anything related to Arsenal. Does somebody else has more offers?

16. TotalArsenal says:

I think we played Koz-Caz, Chas 😉

“crowns” 🙂 🙂
    Best word ever for trophies and shit.
    Superb work Bill

18. TotalArsenal says:

ADO Den Haag supporters throwing their teddies at children from the local Children’s hospital. 🙂

Chas
    Let’s just stick to b*ll*cks to describe the style (!!!)
    However, thrashed them in the last minute. Went home with the points with early leavers missing the fun 🙂

Sorry for the tardy reply, LB, other matters called. 🙂

You asked why Takuma [Japanese] could play for Stuttgart in Germany, but not for Arsenal in the UK.

I do not want to bore the asses off everyone, but in brief, and from memory;

1) EU citizens can play for any club within the EU.

2) Non-EU citizens [Takuma] wanting to play for a club in the UK are required to obtain a Home Office work permit.

3) They must also successfully apply for a Governing Body Endorsement (GBE) with the FA before the Home Office will even consider issuing a work permit.

4) To qualify, they must have played 75% of their home countries international games in the preceding 2 years. [Difficult for young players, whatever their potential]

5) So, for younger players, the club can apply for a special exemption certificate from (4) above — really difficult to get, which is why Wellington/Campbell and so many other young players signed by Arsenal have spent years on loan at other EU countries/clubs.

Sorry Takuma-san 😦

In Deutschland, and most other EU countries, players have to comply with the EU immigration requirements, similar to (2) above, but more lenient.

(3), (4) and (5) above are not required.

Willkommen in Stuttgart Takuma-san 😀

Did that help?

Chas, @ 11:07

Stop it Chas – you are just trying to show that many fans have been stupid in deriding Giro’s goalscoring contribution to the Gunners.

My advice, freely given, [cos it is Albert Einstein’s really] is that there are only two things that are infinite — the Universe and human stupidity — and I am not sure about the Universe. 😀

Bloody EU fascist bastards 🙂

Thanks for answer though RA

Yes, thanks for that RA.

You’ve tickled me bits, LB, I’m now off to googleyoutube Mr Assano at Stuttgart

Nah, he hasn’t bothered to score a single goal yet. Or rock up and play.

26. VP of Oz says:

Koscielny has been deemed fit to start for Arsenal against Paris Saint-Germain on Tuesday,
    Ramsey also featured in training, albeit away from the first team, and is likely to make the squad against Hull City next weekend.

LB – that was pleasant reading I like your positive tone – we need to find a way to transit your attitude to those who go to the Emirates simply to find fault. It’s unbelievable to me that after one game AW has to literally beg the home fans to give Lucas time to settle into the team.

Our home “support” is becoming a farce, the players are beginning to dread “home” games – WTF!!!. What makes it even more farcical is that the complainers/moaners/groaners never own up to it being them. I appreciate that people should be allowed to express their opinions but it’s way over the top when our team prefer to play away from “home”

Looking ahead to tomorrow, here are PSG’s last four league results. Most recent first:

PSG 1 – 1 Saint-Étienne
    Monaco 3 – 1 PSG
    PSG 3 – 0 Metz
    Bastia 0 – 1 PSG

Pretty pathetic I think you’d agree, especially those idiots from Monte Carlo that we thrashed 2-0 away (I didn’t mention the war, the French thing or the home result, and might get away with it) 🙂

Is it to far fetched an idea to hope that our positive home fans could band together and form an opposing group to those of a different persuasion? I’m just aghast that out positive fans, who are the vast majority, are not more vocal in acting as our true 12th man and lifting our team up when they are down? Instead it seems to me that they allow the negatives to rule the roost.

I sat they need to stand up and become a part of the solution and not a part of the problem.

I have no wish to offend either side of the argument – but if I attended the games I would make sure that the negatives would not be welcome sitting in my section.

I say bring back the wooden rattles – they can be used to deafen them.

chas – are you joking? Shite about Costa? You can stick your stats up your delicate posterior, just watch both goals he scored yesterday, clinical

Eddie
    Don’t panic, Chas “stats you” as a wind up 🙂

GN5
    Honestly, it’s less the negative atmosphere, rather the total lack of anything. For long periods, you can hear a pin drop. I mentioned earlier, in response to LB’s “can we win the league” that one massive obstacle is the lack of home support.
    They’re fine once we score.
    I do bang on about goals for a number of reasons, but it is very clear, that’s what gets the turds off their ‘effing phones.

Eddie

The ‘thick as two short planks’ routine won’t wash this time. 🙂

If I had a pound for every time someone described a shot that hits the back of the net as ‘clinical’, I’d have enough to buy a slice of pizza at the Emirates Stadium.

33. TotalArsenal says:

Yeah Chas, don’t confuse the striker happy Gooners with some damn accurate stats that goes against their gut feeling. Costa is sooooo much better than our lot! Spend some fecking money Venga!

I get that MD89 but in my, less than stupid head, I feel that’s it’s up to the crowd to do their part and lift the team upward and onward.

Is it too difficult for them to understand that negativity breeds negativity?

Chas/TA,

I maintain that it’s not goals for that have been our issue, goals against has been the problem – and I have lots of boring stats to back up my point….

36. LBG says:

LB thanks for posting efforts!
    Answer – Yes we can and will!
    Not sure Chelsea’s carefree days are over. Griezmann’s next club will be the test for me. Hope however he would choose the Best Team in London. I’d pay the 80m.

Griezmann is shit

38. TotalArsenal says:

I see a post coming, Gn5. 🙂

For what it is worth, It is amazing that we did not score much less or conceded much more goals than the Foxes yet they ended up so many points ahead of us last season. That is something I would like to see further analysed.

In fairness Total, you stated we needed to buy more goals over the summer, whether that be a wide boy or striker

Like you, I guess, I hope Lucas is that man.

I could write a book on the subject TA but unfortunately being a non attending supporter I cannot influence the situation. I’m just a voice in the wind……………..

GN5

Oh the concede less argument over the more exciting score more number 🙂

The advantage of the latter is that you get your good crowd noise thrown in for free 🙂

GN5

On Saturday there was a dad and his two young children in front of me. Children were being a little noisy, and the dad actually sshhhh’d them to keep the noise down. In a football stadium 🙄

“Griezmann is shit”

Oi Chas, that’s MY level of constructive thinking 🙂

someone’s been drinking shite plum wine 🙂

Griezman is a great player and Costa’s goal were classy. Ok, he copied Kozza in the bicycle kick, but the first was a great first touch.

MD89,

There is no doubt that goals scored stir up a crowd – but how was the atmosphere when we lost 3-4 to Liverpool?

Booing at our first home game 😦 😦 😦 😦 😦

I’m off Griezmann; he may be world class but he is more a world class number 10, and we are chock full of those including Ozil, rather than a world class number 9 of which we have few.

47. TotalArsenal says:

Yes Micky, we do need more goals as an average of two per game is needed to win a league I reckon. But of course a tight arse defence can get you far as well, as you ancient Gooners know all about.

Let’s wait and see whether Perez will add the required goals, maybe theo will be a lot more productive this season as well.

Hi GN5,

I tend to agree with the drift of your comments on the support shown (or not) by some fans who do not realise that their demeanour is counter-productive.

It can be said that we are all born ignorant — but one has to work really hard to remain stupid.
    (Not that I am saying this refers to Arsenal fans, of course — perish the thought!) 😀

Great post, thank you LB.

To answer the question; yes we CAN win the league as can any of the other 19 teams – pedantic, moi! 🙂

If the question is do you Arsenal WILL win the league? then I’d have to put my roseys on. But I am optimistic for this season, and following an astonishing bit of insightful forecasting by our very own MickDidIt, I would say that winning the CL will be our No.1 focus 🙂

Incidentally, they were going through all the injury woes and general problems at PSG at the moment (together with poor recent form in the league) on the radio and it would appear that we will be playing them at a very opportune time – so it will be 1:3 to our boys tomorrow – defo

51. TotalArsenal says:

RA 🙂

Rasp, and PSG paid Le Blanc an eye-watering 22m Euros to get rid of him. A crazy world football has become.

Hi TA, yes agreed, it’s nuts, but it is the world we inhabit so only market forces will change anything. I thought the scrapping of FFP was akin to WADA giving up and saying to athletes – take any drug you like.

…. and the driving force behind scrapping FFP was one Mr Platini – the same MR P who was found guilty of ethics violations and barred from the sport for eight years

We have been over this ground before, but stats need to be treated with respect and caution.

OK, so we play 38 games in a season.

— Let’s say we lose 50% of them 1 : 0 = 19 goals against and = 0 Points.
    — Let’s say we win the other 50% 5 : 0 = 95 goals for and = 57 points.

The chances are that we would have (probably) the best defensive record in the league [19] and the best number of goals scored [95] — but there is no chance that we would win the Premiership with just 57 points, nest-ce pas?

But,

— Let’s say we drew 17 games 1 : 1 and end up 17 goals against, and 17 points.

— Let’s say we still win 21 games 3 : 0 and end up 63 goals for and 63 points.

So Goals for = (63 + 17) = 80; and 17 goals against – but with 80 points and possibly the premiership title??

Two similar goals against,[17 v 19] but with a worse goals ‘for’ [80 v 95] in the second example and yet probably win the title.

Stats, eh? Respect and caution is mandatory.

Just a little stir, while sipping my coffee, so my mental arithmetic is probably bollix – and you have your chance to tell me so, Chas. 😀

That would have made a good post Redders. I’m surprised you mathematicians haven’t come up with a system of categorising stats with a sliding scale of usefulness – along the lines of those that stand alone down to those that are affected by so many other parameters as to be nigh on meaningless 🙂

RA talking about stats,

When we have one goal or less per game scored against us in the PL our average final position has been 2.57.

When it’s one goal or more is an average of 3.0.

In our three winning seasons we had averages of .87 .68 and .95

57. TotalArsenal says:

Agreed Rasper, it is a joke. 😦

58. TotalArsenal says:

All agreed Redders. 🙂

On the other hand, so many rather listen to their gut feeling than making a bit of effort to do some statistical analysis. Wenger definitely likes his stats, as most people do who need to make an informed decision.

59. TotalArsenal says:

Nothing wrong with a bit of gut feeling listening, though 🙂

So the corollary is; we need to score more and concede fewer 🙂

Rasp – genius 🙂

🙂 I know, I’m brilliant aren’t I 🙂

63. TotalArsenal says:

That would be great Rasp, as long as it applied for each and every game 😉

64. LBG says:

Micky
    Don’t worry! It’s only my younger Bro’s reaction to all my suggestion!
    My reaction is Chas is shit!

chas is right. Griezman is just a blond Walcott 😀

Some excellent blogging today prompted by another fine post from the keyboard of LB.

Shame that steel was missing on the first day of the season 😦

Interesting about the billionaires, Have you noticed how Usamov has become very quiet? Could it be the slump in the price of oil?

Or maybe the increase in Arsenal’s fortune?

Not quite right, Rasper — in the hypothetical example I gave above, a worse goal scoring season, [80] can end up winning the title against a better goalscoring [95] season, with similar goals against.

The differences, of course, are the number of games won — winning is always the ace in the hole. 😀

“Griezman is just a blond Walcott”

Excellent.

LB
    Any order. What would you consider to be the three biggest obstacles to our winning the league?

* stats and Ollie aside, of course 🙂

2. Injuries
    3. Bad luck

ha ha ha
    Well played Lads 🙂

chas @7:05 – that’d be you, Ant and Jon, plastic supporters

78. TotalArsenal says:

That is a glass half empty question that doesn’t befit you, Micky. If there are obstacles we will overcome them, but no need to look for them 😜⚽️💥

TA,
    Yes and No to the half glass. There will be obstacles however much we win it by, even if a dead Thatcher is one of them 🙂

Right, music practice

TA – you need to go out more.

25 gold medals for British Paralympians, awesome!! I love those guys, really do. If I had no legs there is no way anybody would talk me into running. Yet these guys train so hard to compete and it is amazing seeing them giving their best. And the joy on their faces…oh…bless them!!

1. Fans who think that ‘supporting’ is constantly criticising and then not listening when their arguments are exposed as bollocks.
    2. Fans who think the most hideous chav player of all time warrants respect because he’s ‘clinical’.
    3. Fans who are as thick as pig shit.

84. TotalArsenal says:

A dead Thatcher is indeed a formidable obstacle, Micky, and what about all those fuming Brexinners. 🙃

85. TotalArsenal says:

Eddie, when you say ‘out’ do you mean Wenger out sort of out? 😍

chas – and that’d be me? Fuck off you northern bastard

Hahahahahahaha

1. Fake fans
    2. Moaning fans
    3 .Groaning Fans
    4. Complaining Fans
    5. Smart Arse Fans
    6. Arsene hating fans
    7. Booing fans
    8. “Expert” fans
    9. “I told you so” fans
    10. All of the above over and over again

This is a lot of fun I think MD89 should make it the subject of a post where we can vote and prioritise our pet “fan” hates.

89. LBG says:

BR
    Chas is wrong!
    Griezmann is as close a match to Theo Walcott as a dynamic, goal scoring Nicolas Bentner is to Thierry Henry!

90. VP of Oz says:

Love it –
    Urban Dictionary TOP DEFINITION

thick as pig shit

1) Unteachable or untrainable

2) Cant see the obvious if it bit them on the arse

3) Someone who, by their very existence, are proof positive that information CANNOT be absorbed by osmossis. See THICK AS TWO SHORT PLANKS.

3) George W. Bush
    George(W)Bush is as thick as pig shit.

Match Day. Live on BT Sport. Can’t remember if that’s a good thing or wot

1. Last night’s comments need to be read
    2. Coffee needs to be made
    3. PM needs writing

a uni-dexter” 😀 😀 Brilliant sketch.

Morning Erik
    School run
    Then back

I am going to see a new shrink today
    Each one of them thinks they can cure me and then gives up after a year.

match day, that’s exactly what I need 🙂

oh no, it’s PSG tonight, I thought it was one of the minnows

Eddie
    You probably make them realize how weak and pathetic they are 🙂

Look on the bright side:

-we’re away from home
    -they’re going through a bad patch
    -we’ll have our First XI
    -they’re French

micky 🙂 not sure about weak, but some are definitely madder than me. One was addicted to online Solitaire, played it even during my private sessions. One told me blatantly that I need a man in my life. One assigned me a helper who gave me a goal – lose weight!! For f… sake, how was that going to cure my depression??

Mental health issues are not curable. End of. Millions of psychiatrists make shit loads of money lying to patience. End of.

Football is a tonic, when we are on a winning steak of course 🙂
    Where is that northern bastard, salon again?

Eddie. Unsurprisingly, I do not agree with you at all.

It is a proven fact that many mental health patients respond well to therapy. But then I am one of the people who have made “shit loads of money” 🙂 As if …

Eddie/Erik

Just run your comments past Mrs Didit. She says many Mental Health problems are not curable. They can be managed. So you’re both right.

Now, that Northern Bastard 🙂

Erik

What time PM?
    Theo through the middle? 🙂

Respond Raddy, respond, not cured. Year later after positive responding patients are as sick as they were before. Unless they are rattling with drugs, like me.

Anyway, we have more serious issues to tackle, like micky’s wrapped logic – the bright side of our tough fixture tonight are the facts that we are away from home and PSG are French. See what I mean, no shrink could help him

Where’s RC78 when you need him?

He’s a PSG fan as well as Arsenal, I believe

What colour pants will he be wearing tonight?

Although, rather than the colour, maybe the answer lies in the style, ie

English; tailored boxers
    French: exceedingly tight thong

There is a New Post

Unsurprisingly, Mrs Didit is correct

how old is RC78?
    if under 30 he can go French

Eddie
    You like a man in a thong eh?
    Dirty and Continental 🙂

Over to see the Raddy selection