Is Vardy the Right Man?

I will admit it, I was horrified when Young Tom, phoned me last night from Blighty with the news of AFC triggering Vardy’s release. Why when we are looking for a striker of the ilk of the chap at Dortmund whose name I cannot possibly spell would we look at a PL striker who has done nothing special until this season?

Is Vardy as good as, say, Welbeck? ย I get that with Welbz out for the season we need another CF but we needed one anyway as our goals for clearly states, and I guess Vardy at โ‚ฌ20m appr. is a decent short term solution.

Unknown.jpeg

The current FWA Player of the Year and PL Player of the Season he should be good enough. 24 goals last season but and this is a HUGE but …. he scored just 5 the season before (from 34 games), and prior to that was not in the PL.

His performance for England last week was at best average, at worst anonymous, though to be fair to him, the whole team was awful (apart from Jack, of course).

Vardy’s signing is still at an early stage and perhaps he will decide to stay at Leicester but we can speculate can’t we?

Do I think he can improve Arsenal? Yes. Verdy’s pace frightens defenders and he is definitely a Plan A for Giroud.

Do I think he is someone for the future? Not at 29 y.o. We will be lucky to get 3 seasons out of him.

My main concern is that by signing Vardy we are not signing the striker who Arsenal can base their attacks in the long-term. I want us to sign a 23/24 y.o. who Mr Wenger can improve – Vardy is not that chap.

But …. if he repeats his 24 goal haul in the red and white I will be thrilled.

What do you think?

252 Responses to Is Vardy the Right Man?

1. Aleksandar Zivanovic says:

For sure. A great short term option (assuming he scores at the same rate) but your not gonna get much better without spending way more than 20 million. So for me a great signing

Cheers, BR.
    Maybe Vardy is being signed as the new wide man with Alexis on the other flank with the new 30 goal a season striker to come in addition?

Aubameyang and a new CB and we’d be good to go. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. steven unwin says:

VARDY IS OK BUT HE MAY NOT WANT TO COME TO ARSENAL.HE WILL STAY AT LEICESTER.

4. Aleksandar Zivanovic says:

Money talks and we can more than double his 60k wage. Anything can happen but we will find out soon

5. JM says:

Works either way with Ozil and Alexis in an alternative combination attacking play, supported by midfielders (Xhaka, Cazorla/Elneny, Ramsey and others etc.)

6. Dex says:

Good point about Vardy being a replacement for Welbz.

I’m surprised at the supposed transfer of the Leicester striker.

What other forwards are there that we could sign? The Mancs with the Special narcissist are trying to sign a 34 yo Zlatt.

Morata would be a huge risk for huge money. Lukaku likewise given his propensity to disappear for games on end (we already have Oli for that!) and The Dortmund PEA would probably rinse the budget in one hit! And let’s not even go there with Higuain! That ship sailed years ago.

So, Vardy and a young striker who AW can mould would work for me. Add a CB and we’d be set I think.

Thanks

7. Paul says:

I see Vardy as a cheapish short term option. Speed and good finishing getting on the end of MO’s through balls. I would love to see Vincent Janssen young and banging goals in much like when we bought rvp. A versatile defender and we are in fantastic shape for the new season

Thanks Raddy, my first reaction is no thank you – it’s short term, his game is based on pace which will be diminishing and he won’t fit in with our current possession style of play.

Then I asked myself why would Arsene want him. Then I thought – is he doing a Fergie? He bought RVP to give Manu a 20 goal a season boost and it worked – they won the premier and he retired, could Arsene be thinking the same thing?

9. Iceman says:

Hilarious! Lineker calls us perennial also-rans – so what does that make the shit stains then? As for Vardy, at ยฃ20m he must be worth a punt although in terms of a top UCL striker, I have my doubts.

Raddy

I read a similar post on my own FB page :). If the guy can bag 20+ goals a season, stays fit for a couple of seasons it must be a good buy.Arsenal being so transparent is unusual but obviously the penny has finally clicked that we need an upgrade on Goroud.

When we beat leicester Away Vardy scored the first goal of the match, then hit the woodwork before we equalised.

If he is good enough for England’s squad who cares where he was 4 years ago.I vote that at 20 million and a penny it’s no big gamble.

11. Boombaby says:

Couldn’t agree more , if we’re spending in the region of 40 to 45 million ( including wages ) for a short term solution with no possible return on the investment from a monetary perspective then Vardy is not the man. At best he may score goals , I’m not sure his counter attacking style will even suit Arsenal.
    We should have Zlatan 4ook a week on wages , 2o million cost but a bagful of goals and a premiership title.

With the new TV money being available for this coming season 20 mil for a goal scoring forward has become small change. It should be viewed, if it isn’t already, as being completely irrelevant that there would be no resale value on Vardy.

I, like Chas suggested above, believe that just because we signed him does not mean that we would not be looking for someone else but that someone else is going to be young and not fully tried and tested.

Just look at the clubs with new managers and money to burn; we are not going to get Lewandowski or the likes but we could get Morata and that is a risk, I would like us to take such a risk but I would be very happy if we signed Vardy first.

Some might say what about Welbeck? I am one of his biggest fans and have repeatedly written that I expect him to become the best CF in the country but the serious injuries that he is getting cannot be ignored. The signing of Vardy who would play on the left would enable Welbeck to be gradually reintroduced and if he reaches the heights that me and the club must hope for then all will be well in the Emirates garden but if he doesn’t then a completely new plan to replace them both in two or three years could be put in place.

I am in favour of signing Vardy but I am not convinced that the club’s interest is serious, we could be negotiating with another player and using the Vardy story as a negotiating tool. This hypothetical player would of course come as a surprise which is far more in keeping with the way that AW and the club do business.

Wishful thinking — Moi…………………..Always.

Thanks for taking the time to write the post BR

Well, there is a precedent for an older CF to join Arsenal and score bags of goals.

Vardy is 29, and Ian Wright, Wright, Wright was 28 in the November of the season when he joined us – and he was not bad, was he? ๐Ÿ™‚

At 20m Vardy is a great inexpensive option. Our biggest shortcoming last season was our inability to simply finish off the multitude of chances that we created..

Vardy (in one season) has shown the entire PL what the ability to finish adds to a team, it’s the exact skill set that we are missing.

If it’s true then I feel it will be a fine decision, even if it’s a short term solution until Welbeck recovers.

2nd column = number of signings over 20m since 2004.
    Last column = Number of major trophies won in same period.

So with the exception of Man C and Pool there seems to be a direct correlation between money spent and trophies won – no big surprise really.

Man City – 18 Kevin De Bruyne – ยฃ54.5m – 5
    Chelsea – 16 Fernando Torres – ยฃ50m – 13
    Man Utd – 12 Angel Di Maria – ยฃ59.7m – 11
    Liverpool – 12 Andy Carroll – ยฃ35m – 3
    Arsenal – 3 Mesut Ozil – ยฃ42.5m – 2
    Spurs – 2 Erik Lamela – ยฃ30m – 1

I guess the above also shows that its not just the amount of money spent that makes a difference but how well the money is spent.

Vardy’s overall scoring record – 1 goal every other game is not to be sniffed at.

Team – League – Goals – Games
    Halifax – NPL Premier – 33 – 34
    Halifax – Conf North – 4 – 3
    Fleetw’d – Conf Premier – 36 – 31
    Leicester – Championship – 26 – 4
    Leicester – Championship – 37 – 16
    Leicester – Prem League – 34 – 5
    Leicester – Prem League – 36 – 24

———————————————-206 – 117

I like talking to myself because I agree with everything that I say………..

Cheers Raddy. I have no problem with Vardy as part of our strike force and actually think he can upgrade and strengthen us to a degree but I wouldn’t want it to be seen as the solution to our strikers role, i.e the worldy striker we have been crying out for.

There should still be someone else coming in that is at the highest European level if we mean serious business for the big prizes (and if we want to let Sanchez and Ozil know this is still the place to be). I think we need 3 proper striker options. If that were Vardy, Welbeck and Aubemayeng then I am happy, especially as we know Danny can be very effective to the left of another striker. With back up from young Akpom and the possibility of Sanchez playing the false 9 if needed we would be good to go.

This would give us a very good variety in attack with different types of strikers but while retaining pace at all times. It all depends though on Wenger going big on someone like Aubemayeng. So a good buy if it is just a part of an extended plan but poor if our striking recruitment stops at that.

Hello GN5 ๐Ÿ™‚

21. Dex says:

You can remove the league cup or add the Community Shield to those lists as both are worth about the same.

22. Dex says:

A lot has been stated in the media about whether or not Vardy fits Arsenals style of play. Well thing is, our possession based system isn’t always the best one to use especially away from home and against better teams.

With his pace and finishing acumen Vardy gives us the option to play very effective counter attacking football. And with Cazorla, Xhaka, Elneny and Coquelin of course, we have the midfield to sit back and break up play.

Maybe that’s the thinking behind this move?

Hi GB,

I would be very surprised if we sign Vardy but we most certainly need someone to put the ball in the net, and as shown above the amount paid is only important if the player has the requisite skill set

I agree with you Dex and although I doubt it will happen I feel that he would be an ideal addition to our team.

25. Dex says:

Cheers GN5. I’m probably well off, but until it’s confirmed one way or another all we can do is speculate.

I’d love Aubermeyang but I think that ship has sailed. We had the chance to sign him when he left France but didn’t take it.

Maybe Reus is more our bag? His injury record is phenomenal!

26. oz gunner says:

I like it. I wanted a Eduardo-like finisher and vardy showed he knows how to find the back of the net consistently. We looked dangerous on the counter at times this season and vardy will add to that. The thought of ozil feeding him delicious passes has me excited for the new season.

If he doesn’t sign…well he can feck off and I never rated him!

Dex, as long as we get a predatory striker I will be happy.

28. Cheers Raddy

Of course, ime delighted for Arsene that he is surrounded by transfer speculation. The man deserves to be linked with players we are not going to get, and so do we.

I agree with Rasp, not sure Vardy would suit our style of play?

In my youth I use to box and went 14 bouts undeafeated. My tactic was to run away from my opponent, sometimes chased outside the ring, and when eventually caught in a clinch, to mesmerise and bore the Bastard to death by citing Financial Reporting Standards and Tax legislation.

Softening them up with 20% capital allowances using the reducing balance method, I then went for the kill by unleashing capital gains tax relief. They were so mentally drained by the thought of paying tax on there home, they would collapse

My winning streak ended when after been chased around for a few rounds, crying and claiming I was there long lost brother in an attempt to put them off, I was finally cornered so unleashed a full flurry of capital gains tax tapering relief. Incredibly, this had no effect and the geezer battered me.

Just before hitting the deck, in a final throw of the dice I asked wether he wanted to talk about the growth of fungi in 18th century Hungary, but he took no heed and layed the fatal blow

A week later I found out he was a Computer Programmer, so I never stood a chance.

Vardy is a top player, but would he fit in?

29. chas mobile says:

30. LBG says:

Good deal for me if confirmed. Predatory in front of goal, one of our major failings at present. Spike y, never say die, character. Plenty of pace when required on fast counter attacks. Esp in Europe. Fit and (touch wood) not injury prone. Like Ian Wright, come up the hard way. Takes nothing for granted and should have three more years at least in his legs at least.

31. Aaron says:

Take him in a second for 20m and ship Theo.
    Arsenal need to bring in pace up front and another poacher, Jansenn. (maybe)
    Need different types of scorers based on the types of games. Arsenal will play many teams that will pack the box, and that requires a different type of scorer. (Dribbly, weavey poacher type)
    Other games requires counter type of striker with pace- Theo like, but scores.
    Arsenal are not going for Lew, Hinguain, Aub and others! Too much money, and they are not leaving their teams period. Looking at the top teams in the world-all have the ability to score with multiple palyers and the ability to rest their scorer’s even in games because of their firepower!
    Still need a left back, center back and 2 forwards to compete- maybe even another mid as Jack will not last.

Aaron,

We have already signed a new midfielder in Granit and are now linked to Vardy and you are saying we still need a LB, CB and two more forwards and maybe another mid – that’s eight new players?

Frankly that will never happen – maybe at Liverpool or Chelsea but not at Arsenal – a 73% player change in the team is just not feasible.

33. JM says:

Example scenario:
    Alexis and Vardy in 1vs1 situations against opposition’s two CBs, after either getting on Ozil’s, Elneny’s and Wilshere’s through balls or Xhaka’s and Cazorla’s direct balls from deep.
    Advantage: There are less quality CBs nowadays capable to deal with 1vs1 against good and competent strikers/forwards regularly during a match. Both Alexis and Vardy could also fluster defences by cutting in between the CB and FB towards goal.

Regardless of whether this Vardy’s transfer shall come into fruition, this is not the end for the club’s summer transfer business. 1 personnel in defence (a CB? or a FB?) and another young forward (under the radar-type) are sought after.

34. JM says:

Elsewhere (Off topic):
    “Winner takes all in mega football shirt deals” – A battle between Adidas and Nike for dominance of the global football gear market is driving a steep rise in sponsorship payments to elite clubs – and cutting into the two manufacturers’ profits.

(Not affected much)
    PUMA – Arsenal, Leicester City, (Promoted)Burnley, (Relegated)Newcastle

JM, you make it sound very exciting – the more I read the more I want it to happen. I’m not usually caught up in transfer speculation but this is so widespread it sound true.

36. Janman says:

I agree totally with the 10:54 post from Kelsey. At 20m if the stories are true then you really cannot go wrong even if we only get three good seasons out of him. Every one has been banging on throughout the season that Wenger needs to sign a 20 goal a season man. Now we have a chance to do that people are questioning it, sometimes I just do not understand the train of thought? With that said we still most likely need one more additional striker to Vardy (if it happens). I think there are still a couple of purchases that Arsenal will make. Have a great weekend everyone.

37. Dex says:

Not sure what Aaron is asking for is either realistic or actually necessary.

And where are these teams that can rotate their forwards? Barca, Real certainly don’t and we ain’t at their level.

Perhaps Vardy is a direct replacement for Theo (hope not as I like Theo) and we are still in the market for a striker?

We only need a LB if Gibbs is off (hope not as…) and Xhakas mate seems keen!

38. JM says:

GunnerN5 @4:49 pm,

This could-be alternative pairing of Alexis and (Vardy) opens up questions to oppositions’ defence. It is definitely easier for 2 CBs to man-mark out an isolated CF; with 2 “terriers” going 1vs1 against the CBs offers a different proposition.
    In a possession based approach, Xhaka, Cazorla, Elneny, Wilshere, Ozil can keep the ball and put in the final passes for the receivers – Alexis, (Vardy), Ramsey, Iwobi, both fullbacks – Bellerin and Monreal etc.
    In a counter-attack approach, Xhaka and Cazorla who can ping direct balls to bypass midfield to our attacking third and beyond, where Ozil, Alexis, Vardy and company shall poach.
    A more daring approach is to play with 3 rampaging and interchanging forwards (Alexis, “Vardy” and 3rd forward) supported by Ozil, Xhaka and a 3rd midfielder.

Further transfers (the additional personnel in defence and another young forward) would depend on many factors within and beyond the control of the club.
    – Jenkinson (long or short term injury; to be loaned out again?)
    – Debuchy (transfer out?)
    – Chambers (going out on loan or staying?)
    – Hayden (future status?)
    – plans for backup GK to Cech (Ospina? Szczฤ™sny? Emiliano? Macey? – who needs to be registered as a HG player this season)
    – plans for The Ox, Walcott, Campbell, Gnabry (and the returning Sanogo and Akpom)

These are sorted out in the midst of the international tournaments in USA and France, as well as the Olympics in Brazil.

39. Dex says:

Jam

I hope the article about Debuchy wanting to stay is true as having him and Bellerin means we are sorted at RB.

Jenkinsons injury makes it difficult for me anyway to know what the plan is? Probably another loan, unless Debuchy leaves.

I really think Chambers needs a loan to a PL club to get game time. Hayden likewise.

We’re sorted in terms of GKs if things stay as they were last season.

I hope Theo stays, but I might be in the minority.

AOC definitely should not be sold, he has to stay and hopefully will have better luck with injuries.

40. JM says:

In any case, whether Vardy arrives or not, the club should alternate between a 1 forward and a 2 forwards approaches when there are advantages, since we have acquired a solid and dynamic base in Xhaka and have a creative tip as well in Ozil.

41. Aaron says:

GunnerN5 and Dex, take a look at what JM just wrote.
    deb in gone, Jenks had ACL recon- need right back to back up Bellerin.
    Gibbs could be gone-need left back to back up Monreal
    Kos and Mert- just one injury away from decimating our back line-either keep Chambers or have to bring in some cover. (scary thought!)
    Ros, Art and Flamster gone- basically never played, partly the reason Arsenal did not win the EPL title this year!
    Brought in Granit and Elnany to actually in play games! Jack ain’t making through year without injury-need cover. Unless you are saying Coq is cover for someone above and would agree with that.
    Welbz aint playing this year-need direct replacement!
    Theo, and Ox can’t score-need some damn goals!-need direct replacement.
    Iwobi is fantastic but ain’t going to last 50+ games, and score without rest.
    Giroud needs scoring partner as Sanchez is going to come back knackered again from wasteful games.
    So, either Arsenal brings up some youth to actually take up a roster spots, and play in some real games (Deadwood on injury list was a joke for past 3 years) or go buy some bodies.

42. JM says:

Aaron @5:55 pm,

Nope, either 3 or 4 coming in from outside is the maximum. The rest will come from solutions within the club’s 1st team, reserves and U-21 team.

43. Aaron says:

JM,
    I agree-but they better be REAL bodies, not just some fictitious characters that we wish could play.
    Uh, Dex you are joking right??
    With Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema on a line with 2 or 4 waiting in the wings. Same with Barca, PSG, and Bayern.
    They all can take a breather in game or be rotated.
    Giroud has not had any rest for 2 years straight!
    Take that to the bank..:-)

France leading Scotland 3-0 at half time, Giroud has 2 goals and Kos the other.

45. Dex says:

Aaron

Who are the back ups??? Ronald’s, Bale, Benzema and Barcas 3 amigos play all the big games. Messi and Ronnie clock 50 plus games a season.

You’re not really making much sense, are you suggesting we sign Harry Potter instead of of Jamie Vardy???

46. Aaron says:

Do a little research mate:

And I did not even put up manure’s, psg’s, $hi*tty’s, chelski’s, juve’s etc….

Take a look at how deep the mids and forwards are..
    Those guys get to rest.

We had Giroud play most of the games and no one else even played half.
    They all have 3 guys up top and can sub others.

It is called sharing the load!

47. TotalArsenal says:

We need between 45-50 PL goals from our attackers and Giroud and Alexis did their part, but Theo, Ox and Danny, for various reasons, did not contribute enough. Vardy could fill the gap but we will need to see whether this is a Suarez-like decoy for another attacker or a genuine attempt to get him.

I like Rasp’s theory of Wenger doing a Fergie’s van Pudsie.

Ozil feeding Alexis, Ollie and Vardy has a nice feel about it, doesn’t it?

48. VCC says:

Stretch. 3:38. One of your best yet. fooking hilarious.

49. VP of Oz says:

I love reading –
    Liverpool and Manchester United have pulled out of the race to sign Vardy after it became clear the England internationalโ€™s release clause only applied to team in next seasonโ€™s Champions League.

Total Arsenal,

Theo, Ox and Danny only scored 10 PL goals between them but injuries meant that they only appeared in 61 games – many as subs.

However I still concur with your premise that we need to spread out the goal scoring. We also missed out on goals from our mid-fielders but again mainly due to injuries to Ramsey and Cazorla who were both creators and scorers of goals..

51. wally says:

Why does anyone care how much he costs? It’s not your money is it. And if he helps us win what difference does it make if he cost a nickel or 1000 bazillion nickels?

At first i didn’t rate the rumour. Now i read he’s scheduled for a medical? So i started thinking, Dangerous, i know. Anyhow i fancy him. He’ll run on to ozil’s balls and maybe xkhaka’s as well. He’ll make those two better players won’t he. He’s plenty fast and strong as well, won’t get shouldered out like theo. His pace will back teams up, make defending easier. Can score with his feet and his head.
    And doing it now is good. Waiting for lewandoski to start the merry go round would put us at the end taking what’s leftover, where we’ve always been. Good to set the pace for ourselves.

I think he could work very nicely.

52. Shard says:

There was another report of us having agreed personal terms with the player (but not his club). 22 year old striker Antonio Colak who played last season on loan at 2nd division German club Nurnberg. I took a look at his highlights and he seems like someone who could be primed to make a step up and maybe become really good after a few years. A better player than that Janssen kid it seemed to me.

Signing Vardy is short term definitely. I’m still not sure it’s happening, but my reaction went from this is insane, to this could be good. It’s how big clubs act sometimes. We’re better able to absorb the ‘losses’ that might occur from this, but the upsides are, we get a good current option, we weaken a rival (yes Leicester must count as a rival) he’s homegrown, we might learn a bit more about Leicester’s fitness methods, and we might either get more sympathy/penalties from officials, or we expose the difference an Arsenal shirt makes.

I’d still like us to upgrade on Theo with someone like Mkhitaryan if possible. If not, hopefully Theo’s Euro exclusion lights a fire under him.

Also, the Ricardo Rodriguez rumour. Perhaps he’s being bought to play at Left Wing rather than Left Back. He’s better at hitting those big cross field passes and free kicks than at defending, and he seems well suited to increase our counter attacking (and pressing) abilities, because he’s quick to release those passes (and also having been a defender can press and intercept passes better)

In which case, probably no Mkhitaryan, Theo and Gibbs both stay, and perhaps we get another CB and send Chambers on loan.

53. Shard says:

Also, I wouldn’t put too much stock in the Ferguson comparisons. Three years ago Wenger said his focus cannot be as long term anymore as before.

In fact, I think the collapse of all the big clubs last year caught us out because in terms of our calculations, we were going to go big this coming season. Why? 1. We were going to lose some out of contract players, freeing up those wages and squad spaces. 2. We had the new TV deal coming in, giving us even more money to go big. 3. We’d sent out a lot of players on loan. Even those who could legitimately have made some contribution, in an effort to evaluate (and boost) their readiness for a league campaign with us.

And of course, Wenger would never leave our squad in as bad a position as Ferguson left theirs.

Gazidis obviously wants Wenger to stay, and I think Wenger will want to stay. This is simply our time to go big. It’s what we’ve gradually been building up to. I don’t think Wenger’s retirement will have any consequence on these decisions. If a better, younger striker were available, we’d have gone for him rather than Vardy.

If a better younger striker were available we would go for him as well or at least that I what I believe.

Good to read your thoughtful comments again Shard.

The timing of the Gazidis recent interview in which he was making clear that the board want Wenger to stay longer and that the man himself is fit and raring to go all makes complete sense now.

It was not aimed at us the fans as I first thought, its clear purpose was to reassure potential signings and agents that things are stable at the home of football and anyone who does sign will not find themselves working with an unknown in the near future.

This might seem obvious to most but the penny has only just dropped in me.

Clever stuff really and classy.

VARDY?!?!?!

Really? Are they serious? Wow, didn’t see that one coming. Would be brilliant. Something Wrighty about it re age, determination to make/enjoy most of everything having hit the big time so late.

By the time we’re done with him, Danny will be out of nappies and fit ๐Ÿ™‚

Sorry, thank you Erik

Full house last 10 days, so late nights, late starts.

The more I think about it, providing Vardy comes off, the more it looks a very savvy move from Arsene. I am not saying he is in Europes absolute elite but similarly we can say he is a striker that can carry a team to an EPL title. If he is a consistent scorer, rather than in sporadic periods, then he is a big plus.

Vardy, while not quite as refined as a Suarez or Lewandowski is a striker that has a blend of attributes that makes him a dangerous and very awkward player for opposition to deal with. I think even the best defences will fear him. This is likely to be a very tricky TW with the Euros and many clubs with a lot of money after a few players. More than one big club will end up disappointed so to strengthen our hand early on would be a big thumbs up to Wenger and the board. If we then manage to secure other more elaborate players it is a bonus.

58. TotalArsenal says:

Hey Gunner5 ๐Ÿ™‚

Are you still based in Canada?

Agreed re more goals from midfield: this remains a challenge. Rambo needs too long to get into the sort of form to score regularly…. And then he gets injured again. Santi has been found out with his many twists and turns to get into a shooting position with one of his legs. Ozil is improving but rather serves than devours. The beauty of both Elneny and Xhaka is they both have net bursting shots from outside the box.

I reckon Wenger effectively plays with two CFs, one central and one with the freedom to move central from the flank. Ollie, Alexis, Danny and possibly Vardy can all make good combos, and Wenger is likely to give Theo another try too. I also feel Akpom will get a chance next season. I would feel good about our fire power upfront if we were to sign Vardy, but yes, we need more goals from the midfield as well as our FBs.

Morning Total, yes I’m still in Canada, (London, Ontario)
    We are 5 hours behind UK s0 it’s 6:56 am here.

I fell very positive about the 2016/17 season, unlike a lot of posters I feel that a predatory striker may be all we need to push us on to 1st place and a good run in the CL.

I look forward to each season as I recognize that I don’t have too many years left in me – so each and every one is a joy to me.

60. TotalArsenal says:

Morning G5 ๐Ÿ™‚

I am younger than you but also look fwd to every season. Hope you will stay healthy and enjoy many more seasons to come. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes a fox in the box attacker is very welcome and Vardy is the ultimate fox – he even looks like one. Xhaka has on average seven long balls per game and will ping them over to Ollie, Alexis and hopefully Vardy from deep I reckon…so I am very excited about these additions as they will give us an added dimension.

Love to see us sign a quality CB now and then we can all put our feet up. โšฝ๏ธโšฝ๏ธโšฝ๏ธ

We seem to be on the same page TA and you are right a CB would also be welcome – as long as he is from the TA or PV mold.

62. You can’t snuff it GN5. Civilised society and “The league for proof that Britsh ex pats can emigrate without robbing a bank” need you

I’ve seen many ex pats. They have all robbed banks or swindled some old aged pensioners savings with gold discovered in Northampton schemes.

Walking round with there orange faces craving lager and bacon is a disgrace. I once saw an ugly incident in Malaga were some poor bastard eating a full English was mistaken for coming from Northampton, only escaping a beating after reavealing he was a Totnumb fan, making him to thick and skint to be a con artist.

Afterwards, I waited round the corner and beat him up anyway

Hi Terry, You are in a league of your own and continue to put smiles on the faces of people who you have never met.

The law of averages (and old age) is not on my side so my time is more limited than that of many of you – but (believe me) I have lived a more than full life and will continue to do so, hopefully for many seasons to come.

64. RC78 says:

I am not bothered by Vardy joining us. It is just that I am not sure he is the striker we are craving for…

He definitely adds energy, pace and threat to our squad especially on the counter BUT we are a possession-based team so let us see how he fits in. He makes good runs though so hopefully Ozil will manage to break the magic 20 assists record.

We can play in a 4-3-1-2 with Vardy and Sanchez upfront because they have great energy and engines and would be able to cover defensively as well…

Ozil – Vardy, Sanchez looks like a promising trio but not as exciting as

Ozil – Aubemayang, Sanchez

65. RC78 says:

Agree with all comments about getting goals from our mids, FBs and even our CBs on set pieces.

Cech – Bellerin, RECRUIT, Kos, RECRUIT – Ramsey, Xhaka, El Neny – Ozil – Vardy, Sanchez

—————————————

Ospina – ?, BFG, Gabriel, Gibbs -Ox, Coquelin, Wilshere – Walcott, Giroud, Wellbeck

Plus – do we keep Cazorla and/or Campbell?
    Plus – Iwobi + Watt

Mesut likes playing football ๐Ÿ™‚

Manchester was fun ๐Ÿ˜†

Looks ok in red and white. Hope he wants to come.

well, i just got back an’ i wish i never leave now
    who dat martian arrival at the airport?
    how many local dollars for a local anaesthetic?
    the johnny on the corner was a very sympathetic

i went to the place where every white face is an
    invitation to robbery
    an’ sitting here in my safe european home
    i don’t wanna go back there again

wasn’t i lucky n’ wouldn’t it be loverly?
    send us all cards, an’ have a laying in on a sunday
    i was there for two weeks, so how come i never tell
    that natty dread drinks at the sheraton hotel?

now they got the sun, an’ they got the palm trees
    they got the weed, an’ they got the taxis
    whoa, the harder they come, n’ the home of ol’ bluebeat
    yes i’d stay an’ be a tourist but i can’t take the gunplay

73. TotalArsenal says:

Chas, cheers for the fine vids and comments. You are on fire. Love that word for Xh…. Metronome. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Or just dragging it down a smidge? ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve never seen him that good on the pitch.

Watched the Sweden/Wales game last night.Ibra was just superb which is far more than can be said for the flaxen haired Ramsey who spent all game running to little effect.

Cloudy morning here for the first time in 10 days ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

77. Shard says:

Oh for a bit of cloud and rain here…..

By far the most astute observation on this site yesterday was by Total Arsenal that Jamie Vardy looks like a fox. I never saw it before, now that’s all I can see

So there are now rumours that Mahrez is coming, seems silly not to put in a bid for Kante and if Ospina leaves well Schmeichel might work and hey while we are at it why not Ranieri to succeed Wenger?

Come on you Arsenal Foxes.

Slow morning………………………..

COYRRF

I have read that darts is very popular in England and attracts as many viewers as football.

Is this really true?

One thing I cannot understand is why bit is shown on Sky Sports as it is clearly not a sport unless chess or card games are a sport.

80. Shard says:

BR

I know a professional bridge player in the UK. Their association is trying to get it recognised as a sport (it is recognised as such in France apparently). Likewise chess.

But as per the current UK rules, apparently only an activity which includes some amount of physical effort and skill can be classed as sport. Perhaps darts can officially qualify under that criteria.

I know the first bloke but the second? Allardyce?

The second is ex-Arse.

84. LBG says:

Eddie Kelly

โœ“

Raddy,

Having played semi pro Darts for over 50 years and coached youth Darts for 25 years I can assure you that us players certainly consider it to be a sport. A higher level of accuracy is needed in darts than any other game I’ve ever played, you can miss your target by a 32nd of an inch and lose a game. The ability to know how to finish a game in the minimum amount of darts is paramount to winning and this mental mathematical ability is needed while you are throwing.

Believe me, at the higher levels, it’s one of the most mentally draining and stressful games you can possibly imagine.

My son held the Canadian record of being the youngest player to throw a perfect game of 501 straight in double out in the minimum of 9 darts. That is so difficult that most players never throw a perfect game in their lifetime.

Why would snooker be considered a sport ?

If we are going for a short-term solution there is a big-nosed Swede who is available and he is different gravy to Vardy

88. TotalArsenal says:

Shard ๐Ÿบ ๐Ÿ˜„

Like a true fox who knows he won’t go hungry for a while, Vardy appears to be holding out for an even bigger offering. Why not; what has he got to lose?

BR, are you a little bit in love with that prolific Swede? ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ™ƒ

Paws up all those who want us to sign Vardy?

90. Shard says:

We’re not going for a short term solution. We are going for a striker that will help make the most of Ozil’s ability. Signing xhaka should also allow us to enhance our counter attacking game. Zlatan has a bigger ego than his nose, and will demand a huge wage, as well as demanding the team adapt to play with him, rather than the other way around. No to Zltan for me.

I am surprised by how excited I eventually got about signing Vardy. He seems so un-Arsenal like at first but he would bring a lot of what we want.

He’s certainly playing at getting the best deal for himself, whether at Arsenal, Leicester, or some other club. Which shouldn’t come as a surprise. His agent is the same as Walcott’s apparently. And they’ve played that game with us before with Theo. All the same, we feel comfortable in doing business with them, which isn’t the case with all agents.

My guess is it’s all been agreed, but that Vardy’ agent made use of the England team’s departure to make it appear that there’s still a chance for someone else to come in and offer even more. I don’t think that’s hugely likely nor that Arsenal will wait too long. I expect the decision to be announced before England’s first game, and I would be surprised if he chose to turn us down.

Name the player

94. Shard says:

LB
    “Paws up all those who want us to sign Vardy”
    Love that line

Chas
    Great bus/van for the Celtic parade

6:43 Rooney?

chas. Fab music. Thank you. And even a pic of AC to cheer up the morning.

I went to early Alice London gigs which were hugely entertaining because of the stage effects, plus he had two of the world’s finest guitar players (Hunter & Wagner) who then went on to play with Lou Reed on his Rock n Roll Animal tour which remains one of my concert highlights.

Steely Dan were fine musicians but also the ugliest group of chaps

99. TotalArsenal says:

I hope you are right, Shard, and agreed he is not a short term solution. My gut feeling is it may still fall through, but love to be wrong.

How do you want us to play with Vardy to get the best out of Mesut? Lone striker or on the wing?

6.43 Ray Parlour ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

TA. Reminds me of the Suarez saga. I fear it could end badly if Vardy does not move and we do not sign another striker

Vardy on the wing!!!!

Total, have you gone completely mad? I mean buy a prolific striker and stick him at left back why don’t you ๐Ÿ™‚

103. TotalArsenal says:

Ray Parlour is a brilliant guess, Radddy ๐Ÿพ

Yes it feels like the Suarez or Higuain situation, but Shard is usually right so let’s go with end of the week scenario ๐Ÿ˜„โšฝ๏ธ

Saga….hmmmmm, is it a saga yet? We only found out on Friday.

Don’t understand the delay though, I like Shard’s suggestion that he wants to appear torn for a day or two. It does have all the characteristics of the Granite signing.

105. TotalArsenal says:

Hahaha Micky, did that make you spit out your poached egg? ๐Ÿบ

I fully expect see us to play Ollie and Vardy up front with Foxie Foxtrot on the wing….in many a game. But I would also happy to see us play Alexis – FF – Iwobi regularly. It is about total mobility versus mobility around a connecting/enabling/scoring pivot.

Do you see Vardy as a holding CF?

The beauty of Vardy is that he can play in both positions. Think of the Champions League games when teams come onto us; in those games the speed and control of Vardy is perfect for counter attacking football but when we are playing a team with a 10 man defense or have parked the proverbial bus then Vardy on the left with Giroud in the middle makes sense to me.

Think of him like a fit Welbeck or a fully functional Walcott, I know that one is hard to imagine ๐Ÿ™‚

๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ

I like those fox things

LB. In my world anything lasting more than 2 hours is a saga …..

109. TotalArsenal says:

This is an interesting read. Will we get more out of Alexis if we pair him up with Vardy rather than Ollie? If we sign Foxie Foxtrot ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ I would not be totally surprised to see us sell Alexis this summer. Not that I want that to happen.

Ray Parlour ๐Ÿ™‚ Clever thinking Erik

111. TotalArsenal says:

Lol, a fully functional Walcott! ๐Ÿ˜„

Agreed re ability to play on the counter and in support to Ollie against teams that sit deep and absorb. His ability to attract penalties and then dispatch them with real gusto is also very attractive. ๐Ÿ˜œ

112. TotalArsenal says:

I like a saga loo ๐Ÿ™ƒ

113. TotalArsenal says:

The good thing about Vardy is he is fearless and he scored against the top teams. He is likely to hit the ground running and not get all shy and ‘I wish I was up north’. I don’t expect him to score more than 15-20 PL goals for us but that is not needed either, as we will spread the goals.

TA. Agree. A Saga Loo is a thing of beauty.

Perhaps another good thing about the Vardy rumours is that while we’d all be happy if it happened, I can’t imagine many jumping if it didn’t

Typical Wenger, low ball offer, lacks ambition, never going to win the league, it’s Suarez all over again. I’m going to wear a black scarf if he signs a new contract, I could go on but I will leave it to the experts on LG

Morning all ๐Ÿ™‚

Chas, thanks for putting the How Long clip up, I supported them many moons ago – love that song.

I’m warming to the idea of Vardy. The girls won’t be pleased, he’s not as pretty as the FP ๐Ÿ˜†

….. although I’m more excited about the rumour that we may be after Mahrez as well – there’s our wide man problem solved …. goodbye Theo!

Ah ha Rasp, might you be saying you’d prefer Mahrez over Vardy given a straight choice?
    Interesting.

No not exactly Micky, I’d definitely prefer Mahrez over Theo.

…. but actually of it was a choice of either Vardy or Mahrez, I would choose Mahrez – he’s younger for a start and brings goals and assists and I think would slot straight in to our style of play whereas Vardy may get frustrated by our less ‘urgent’ style of play ๐Ÿ™‚

122. Shard says:

TA

Shard is usually right???!! Hahaha…

I don’t think we’re changing the formation next year. It’s still going to be 4-2-3-1.

Xhaka hits those long passes to start the counter (Coquelin is improving at it too) Ramsey/Elneny can be the runners next to Xhaka. Or Cazorla if you need another creative option or you are struggling to maintain possession.

We know Coqzorla works well. Xhaka, in theory, will do the Arteta role when Ramsey had his miracle year, and so that should work. Elneny is versatile enough to work well with any of the other midfielders I feel, in either of the roles. (perhaps not with Cazorla unless it’s against a team with no offensive threat)

Vardy up top allows us to have another player stretching the pitch vertically. Right now it is either Alexis or Ozil who have to do it between themselves (pass and run). Especially since Cazorla went down injured. With Xhaka an extra passer, and Vardy an extra runner, we expand our threat.

However, I think we also need an upgrade on the wing. Reports suggest Theo is to stay and Ox sold. I would prefer it to be the other way round, but either way, we could really use someone like Mkhitaryan (or Mahrez) A goalscoring, but technical winger.

Actually, I get why we’d then sell Ox.

Vardy up top and Theo wide may become too one dimensional. Likewise, if we replace Vardy with Giroud in the XI, we might need Walcott’s running to add value. We have more technical wingers waiting in the…ummm…wings… as well. Campbell, Gnabry, Iwobi, Maybe Wellington/Jeff/Willock. So there is some logic to that.

With Mkhit we have so many options. He can spell Ozil, perhaps he could even play in the Cazorla role in subsequent years. Wilshere could play the Cazorla role too, or play as Ozil’s backup, or even on the wing.

Add in some possible opportunities for players who have been on loan like Toral, Akpom, Wellington, Hayden and Maitland-Niles (maybe in the league cup)

So, yeah. Vardy up top, but add another wide forward.

123. TotalArsenal says:

Against the stronger teams, I reckon this would be a very strong team. Happy to see Cazorla included at the cost of Elneny, although I prefer the Egyptian’s athleticism to Santi’s creative cutting edge in this formation. Also happy to see Ollie play instead of Vardy, or move Sanchez central with a new wide player ‘on the wing’ – indeed Rasp, Mahrez would fit in very well.

124. TotalArsenal says:

Yes Shard, we are likely to play the same formation but we different personnel and with an added dimension, as you are pointing out in your comment. Theo and Ox could both move on, and should in my opinion as per the reasons you have pointed out. Iwobi looks like a very, very good player and he should get about 10-15 PL starts next season, ideally. If we sign Vardy, I reckon we will not sign a ‘winger’ but maybe Arsene will just go mad and do it.s

125. Shard says:

Hector is a vector going in the wrong direction. Interesting tactic TA. just like switching the numbers on the back confused England all those years ago, switching Nacho and Bellerin might work ๐Ÿ˜›

Play Jack wide left and Ozil in the centre and I’d agree with that team too, although I still believe Ramsey will partner Xhaka in the middle as first choice.

126. TotalArsenal says:

The FBs need swapping in my 9.50 formation. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

127. TotalArsenal says:

haha you spotted it already. ๐Ÿ™‚

I could live with Jack and Mesut swapping, Shard. For me, Jack owns an area and Mesut owns a dimension and together they are something very special…. if the injury gods will become kind to us. I like structure, so Jack in the middle is better for me.

Rambo next to Xhaka is okay too, but Elneny is the better player defensively and is so accurate and calm with his passing. I love the guy. I would like to get 10-15 goals from our ‘nr10’ and Rambo could do that, and that is why I have added him as an option there…

128. Shard says:

The media have been plugging the idea that Vardy would have tarnished his legacy at Leicester if we left for Arsenal. What utter nonsense. He won LEICESTER the TITLE! He’s more than paid off any debt he might have morally owed them, and how! Their first ever title in their history. All these guys should be lifetime legends at their club regardless of anything that happens from here.

Do we hate Henry for leaving to Barcelona after he’d won so much with us (and yet failed to win the CL) RVP failed to deliver and left after 18 months of performing well, to go to one of our biggest rivals, refusing to see out his contract, accept transfers to Italy, and releasing a letter to attack the club. There is no parallel to this in Vardy and Leicester’s case.

129. Shard says:

Hmmm. Just read Arseblog. He seems to agree with me, also pointing out that Vardy and Walcott share the same agents. The added info he gave was that the issue is around the duration of the contract. Apparently Leicester gave him 4 years, while we gave him 3 (some reports say with an option for a 4th) He’s not losing money by signing on to the contract for less duration, so Arseblog reckons it is the agents trying to squeeze all they can out of us before finally signing off on the deal.

130. TotalArsenal says:

Van P said he was a Gunner for life and would not leave…. and then forced the break for which I have never forgiven him. Vardy has indeed nothing to regret and at his age he would be daft not to take this opportunity. If the agent is playing a game it could all fall through as I don’t expect Arsene to hang around forever. But I am going to believe that it will all work out splendidly, Shard! ๐Ÿ™‚

131. fatgingergooner says:

I’d rather Sturridge. Suits our game ie ball to feet in and around the box, but is also capable of getting a yard and getting his shot away. More technically gifted aswell. Issues over his fitness but still to hit his peak.

I don’t mind Vardy but if he was the only striker coming in I’d be a bit disappointed.

If we got Mkhitaryan though that would cheer me up again! 23 goals and 32 assists last season in 52 games!!! That is stunning and we are desperate for a RW. He should be priority number 1. Mahrez a great second option.

We need a CB aswell. People saying we need a LB too but I don’t buy into that, however, if we had the option to offload one and get Rodriguez in I would do it as he looks like a proper footballer. He’s got a wicked left foot.

Btw, Mourinho and United can still f**k off! ๐Ÿ˜„

One last thing, rumours Zlatan announcing a new clothing line today and not a move, but wouldn’t be a shock if he did both.

132. Shard says:

I think I read somewhere that PSG will refuse to pay the 4m loyalty bonus they owe Ibra if he signs for anyone before his contract ends on the 30th. Might be nonsense since I’m certain they’d be able to only retain a tiny percentage of that even if he did sign, but still. Worth noting.

133. TotalArsenal says:

FGG, as far as I know only one fellow Gooner wants Nacho replaced ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Mhkita would be great, incredible stats.

134. LBG says:

Given the paucity of CBs who should we look to get? I would hope for Premier League experience, and Williams would do for me as, additionally a motivating club and country captain.

135. fatgingergooner says:

Ashley Williams would’ve been great 2 or 3 seasons ago, but at nearly 32 he’s knocking on. He could be solid for a year or 2 though until Chambers or Gabriel steps up. I like the idea of Chambers going out on loan and then coming back to replace Merts the season after as he will be old and I think out of contract, so we need someone to come in. If we are sticking to Prem then I’d be looking to test if Virgil Van Dijk wants to stay at Southampton now that Koeman is leaving. He was outstanding for them last season. Winston Reid is still an option aswell but might not want to leave an up and coming West Ham.

It would be VVD for me too FGG ๐Ÿ™‚

Sadly that Toby fella from the swamp was probably one of the best CBs last season ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

The agent trying to squeeze every last penny from the Vardy deal makes sense of course and I am sure that it is gospel on LG that it is AW’s stinginess that is stopping this thing getting done and dusted.

But wait

Lets just pretend for a moment that we support the club.

Vardy is, no matter which way you look at it, a short term solution, almost certainly propelled by Welbeck’s injury, if that is the case, which common sense surely suggests it is, then why on earth wouldn’t we wait until after the Euros to sign him? Can you imagine how stupid we would look if we spent ยฃ25 million, he posed for photos with an Arsenal shirt on and then the first game for England he gets a Welbeck injury?

This is going to happen anyway (he wrote on his most cynical of keypads) but, hey, at least let the man play in the Euros first.

if he doesn’t get injured and scored 20+ for England then his price would go up, we could not afford him anymore and AW would be accused for flopping a deal again. No win situation

139. Shard says:

Eddie

His price remains the same for all CL clubs. All that can go up is his wage demand. And while that can happen, I am willing to bet nobody will stump up much more for him than we have been reportedly prepared to do. And I don’t think there’s as perfect a vacancy at any other big club that might be interested. Maybe he gets an offer from a desperate Dortmund if they lose Aubameyang to Real, but do you see him going to Germany when he could live in London and be the main striker at Arsenal?

I think this deal is all but done, with not just brinkmanship, but also a PR angle behind the delay. Of course, it isn’t done until it is done, but hey ho. The club will be well aware of what is going on, and in any case, regardless of what happens with Vardy, we have other positions to buy in, and we will have other targets in mind. This was just an opportunity that came up rather than a major target.

Shore up the defense, buy Mkhitaryan and almost any decent striker will do.

140. Shard says:

Also, the cynical part of me just thought that perhaps the agents are wanting to set up a deal for Theo Walcott (and maybe telling Arsenal to put their asking price down a teeny bit) and they’ll sign off on both deals virtually together. This leak that Wenger wants Theo to stay has come from somewhere. Maybe it’s Theo’s people showing how important he still is.

The Wenger wants Theo to stay statement is sure fire proof to me that a sale is in the offing and the club are trying to get more for him.

Good point Eddie.

Exciting times really, if the two deals go through for the same sale money we will be quids in because Theo’s wage bill is much higher than Vardy’s will be.

Can we swap the Ox for Mahrez please; he would be so good at finding a way through the proverbial parked bus, his close control is awesome.

The season ticket renewal date was the first of June.

The club signed Granite a week before that to push those who were going to do it anyway.

The potential Vardy signing was made public just after the dead line, which is, of course, a bit flexible, to push those who were feeling a bit lazy.

They had me at Granite.

144. Shard says:

LB

The argument you made in your 4.31 about us saving money by selling Theo would be exactly the argument their agents would be making to Arsenal to demand more (either lower Theo’s asking price or give Vardy more money/longer contract)

You are probably right Shard, ever though, we should still end up being quids in as Walcott is younger than Vardy etc and that should mean it will be easier for the board to accept Wenger’s next suggested signing.

“They had me at Granite.” ๐Ÿ˜€

I am convinced his decision is made. Why would Vardy go to the Euro’s with such doubts about his future?

Erik

I reckon they “had” LB in about 1969, little to do with Granite

AFC “So Mr LB, you’d like to renew would you?”
    LB “Yeah, about 70 years should cover it”

Is the Sanogo story bolleaux?

Chas

Arsenal would swoop to re-sign Sanogo just to piss off DJ Marmite and his mates

I like their style

How was the Punk weekend? Any heart attacks, strokes, that kinda thing?

Don’t let yourself down quite so easily Erik ๐Ÿ™‚

Of course it is. How can I be so gullible? There is no fool like an old fool

Micky. ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

155. RC78 says:

Sissoko wants to join us
    We bid 32 Mln EUR for Mahrez

Xhaka Elneny
    Mahrez – Ozil – Sanchez
    Vardy

Looking very exciting indeed

156. RC78 says:

Coquelin – Wilshere
    Ramsey
    Ox Giroud Walcott

I don’t think we should sell Ox

158. fatgingergooner says:

At the last big tournament Wenger came back with a Sanchez. It’s in his back garden this year so I reckon he will know all the best places to shop and we can expect at least a Morata, maybe even a Griezmann or a Pogba!

No medical emergencies at the punk bash.
    A good time was had by all. ๐Ÿ™‚

Excellent news Chas.
    Just the puking and pogoing ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree about the Ox Erik, but I think he needs many games, so a loan to a weak team ๐Ÿ™‚

Rather a lot of gentlemen with shaved heads!

Probably voting OUT at referendum would be my guess (for the wrong reason of course)

Bet Ant wasn’t wearing the Kylie hotpants on that evening ๐Ÿ™‚

there is only one reason people are voting Yes or No at this referendum

France v Romania on Friday! That’s going to be such a good game

Eddie
    Is Friday the start?

Eddie
    Same old. Most people haven’t the first idea about the whole thing.

What’s the only reason?

My reason for voting may not be the same as others. How can Eddie know?

Micky. Agree. Even the experts do not know what will happen if UK leaves

Cheap holidays?

My guess is Eddie means a lot of out voters are going with the immigration issue, whereas I cant’ think what single issue unites the majority of inners

Interesting times ahead if it’s an out vote, that’s for sure.

Chas
    Really want us to sign Mkhitaryan just because of his name, which I think is a sound reason

Isn’t the major characteristic of inners an aversion to risk?

Ah ha Chas
    Remember the last World Cup and I said Germany would beat Argies in the final.

I’ll find a wall chart and have another crack before first game

It’s obviously BS made up by MickyDidIt’s tech-savvy brother, but I thought I’d put it up anyway. ๐Ÿ˜†

I am so happy I don’t twatter. It seems as if all the stuff on there is complete nonsense put out by children.

Where can I buy a wall chart?

Chas

“Isnโ€™t the major characteristic of inners an aversion to risk?”

I like that point very much

Must dash

Only the 6 bottom placed teams and the worst 2 third placed teams go home after the group stage. The group stages are just a warm-up in effect.
    Surely England couldn’t be that pants that they go out before the knockouts?

Even Wales will get through if they can win their first game

Blimey, just looked up the telly schedule for euros

superb, games at 2, 5 and 8pm. Going to be tough ๐Ÿ™‚

HA HA HA Brilliant

Cameron Farage now

Weak
    The pair of them, very weak ๐Ÿ™‚

Good debate I thought, although I am left as much in doubt now as I was before. Wish I could be like Eddie and be clear.

187. FPL says:

I’m not 100% sure he’ll fit into the Arsenal style. A lot of time Leicester would just give him something to chase.

188. I watched that debate tonight and have come to the conclusion that like Vardy, there a couple of wankers who refuse to help The Arsenal.

Cameron says we will be stronger in Europe but not once did the Toss mention how we could get past the last 16 or how he would invade Barca and end there tyranny. When the fool should have gone on about new tactics, he started rambling nonsense about free trade and how we could all lose money if we vote out? I don’t give a f*uck about that, I’ve got my money in an offshore tax haven….like him

Farage is a complete Twat. For a man who looks like he’s just beaten his man servant, you would expect a bit more than just saying lets not even turn up. At one stage the Mug suggested a deal? We all know he means the Europa. He’s a bloody Totnumb fan. Farage is the kind of bloke who goes to bed at night and dreams about Fox Hunting. Loathsome.

On immigration, Cameron was all for it but never said nothing about signing top class foreign talent. The blokes all mouth, we will never sign Pogba with him in charge. The bastard should take a hard long look at himself. I want more Filipino or Russian birds that are up for it, not some stern faced Hungarian threatening to fix my boiler. Birds Cameron, you soft twat.

Again Farage was worse. He wants restrictions on foreign players. I swear at one stage he was about to yell out we should give Theo a new 10 year contract and bring back Hillier and Selly, but knew it would be the end of his career. He then talked about some irrelevant shit stuff no one cares about, like immigrants raping Uber Drivers.

They both tried to come over all patriotic? What’s more patriotic than Arsenal winning the Champions League you Spineless bastards.

Cameron wants to stay so he can import cheap Pig heads from Bastian Sweinsteiger and Farage wants out so he can reduce the job market to fulfill his ambition of becoming a fox murdering Plumber. Bloody Twats.

At the end of the day, everyone should make there own mind up and listen to no one but themselves. Moriinio does that all the time, especially when Napoleon is talking.

Anyway, Arsene thinks it’s a good idea to stay, so ime voting in.

189. Shard says:

Terry

I learned more about the current British political climate from your comment than from any news outlet ๐Ÿ™‚

But I still have a question. What was the thing with Cameron and pigs?

Terry. A superb summation of the arguments.

Morning All

chas. Great pic.

Name the player

6.32 The Didit family goes on holiday

194. TotalArsenal says:

Morning AAers ๐Ÿ˜„

Daniel Sturridge, Chas? ๐Ÿ™ƒ

TA. Why not? if we sell Theo then there is a place free in the treatment room

196. fatgingergooner says:

Got to feel for Dortmund. In the last few years they’ve lost Lewandowski, Gรถtze, Hummels and Gundogan, and strong rumours now about PEA and Mkhitaryan leaving. That’s some talent right there. It’s a shame money talks because that would’ve been a hell of a side. I wonder what Reus is making of it all. Can’t see him sticking around.

197. TotalArsenal says:

BR ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

That was for Chas’ 6.32 player guesser!!

Sturridge at Arsenal does not excite me; would rather play Iwobi, but FGG rates him and he does know his football.

Really stuck on the “name the player”

199. TotalArsenal says:

Oh shit there he is! ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Absolutely amazing how Dortmund gets robbed of its players every season: a yellow and black, seemingly powerless feeder club. Reus was not selected for the national team which will have hurt him….. He is a bit injury prone but some player to have at Arsenal…

Is, or was, there ever a player called Shitballs Art Instillation?

Cigar?

Can we assume he was French? ๐Ÿ™‚

202. chas mobile says:

Sorry.
    It was David Hillier. ๐Ÿ™‚

203. fatgingergooner says:

Total,

I don’t know football, I just know how to use google! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Weidenfeller
    Piszczek Subotic Hummels Shmelzer
    Gundogan Bender
    Mkhitaryan Reus
    Aubemeyang Lewandowsk

That could’ve won the CL I reckon. Shame.

Big rumours about Mkhitaryan. I’d love that to happen. He would suit us on the RW I think, espescially if we had runners like Sanchez and a certain Leicester player. If you were a pacey striker and you knew there was a team interested in you who had ร–zil, Sanchez, Cazorla and Mkhitaryan passing you the ball then you’d be pretty excited about that I think.

David Hillier ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

Erik
    It’s neither clever nor funny. Especially if you’re a bit thick and don’t get it. Not playing ever again.

According to one blogger who knows a chap at AFC who has a son on the negotiating team, we definitely have/had representatives in discussions at BD.

My hope was for PEA but perhaps they are there for Mkhitaryan.

I spent an enjoyable hour and a half trying to work out the 6.32 player. Better than working

Now I know you chaps are not into my style of music but ….

The new Paul Simon album is an absolute cracker. Full of interesting soundscapes and rhythms. Unusual for a 74 y.o to be so musically bold.

Morning

Absolutely right Raddy.I mentioned it ten days ago.That is a fact,if anything comes of it is another thing.

Terry I still haven’t got your e mail address and I shared your wonderful post of last night.

With regards to Vardy we may have made fools of ourselves once again,oh where is David Dein,

210. TotalArsenal says:

FGG, you do buddie, and yes that is some team! I reckon Ajax could have won the CL a few more times if they had kept their players over the last twenty years. A cry and shame.

Mkhita’s stats are truly amazing.

211. TotalArsenal says:

I like Paul Simon, Raddy. Saw him Live in Rotterdam 25 years ago with a free ticket… Had no expectations but was blown away by him and his band.

212. fatgingergooner says:

Kelsey,

We should be happy that Arsenal are going for these players. Isn’t that what you’ve been calling for? I’m not sure what else the club can do other than offer the release clause and what they think is a suitable contract. Would Dein have done anything different? It’s now up to the player.

TA. Paul Simon always has the best musicians to back him, much like Leonard Cohen.

Going for them and getting them are two different things.After the quick purchase of Granit I thought weighing everything up Vardy was a good short term solution.Unfortunately 20 million doesn’t buy you much in the attacking dept and one good season is also a risk, but IMO we should have sealed the deal by now or perhaps he is waiyng for other offers.
    Arsene is not usually that transparent .it might still happen but I hear we want this Swiss left back as Gibbs is off.Not sure why as Monreal has come on leaps and bounds.

215. Shard says:

ManU haven’t officially signed or announced Ibrahimovic, and he’s out of contract. Why is Vardy going to the Euros seen as a disaster? Only because the media said it would be signed, sealed and delivered in the 2 days before the England team left.

Dean was working in a much smaller market at a time prior to the arrival of real hard-nosed businessmen into football.

I doubt he would be effective today

217. fatgingergooner says:

Kelsey,

The players have been told they can’t leave to seal deals during the Euro’s and all this talk of deadlines and medicals sounds like paper talk so I’d be surprised if we hear anything until after Euro’s. You could look at it from the other angle and say if he was going to stay surely he would’ve said that by now. Why leave the Leicester fans to get frustrated if he has no intention of leaving?

218. Shard says:

Also, the fact that no one seems to care about Mohammad Sissoko unashamedly flirting with us, nor about the Aussie from Celtic, nor indeed really about Antonio Colak a 22 yr old striker from the German second division… just shows how far we have come in how quick a time… I think even 2 seasons ago we’d all have been discussing each of those names and getting excited(or underwhelmed) as to their potential arrival. Now we just don’t seem to care all that much.

219. TotalArsenal says:

I reckon Vardy does not want to say he is a Gunner till after the Euros as he will never get the ball from the army of useless Spuds in the national team…. He saw what happened when Jack came on… The number of times I shouted, give him the fecking ball you knuckle dragging Spud! ๐Ÿ˜ค

Raddy, I like Cohen too. Any Danish bands you like?

I really liked EfterKlang but they recently split up and became Liima (who I have yet to see). Otherwise Lukas Graham is good. Our most popular musician is Kim Larsen

Come on Raddy,you can do better than that.A much smaller market means what ? practically the same teams have been the money teams for 12 years with City joining them a few years back.

Do we want to remain at the top of the second tier of the PL. Spend we have plenty., more than ever.
    Why are we not tieing up deals.

It all went pear shaped when Dein left/ousted and the whole board changed.I honestly think Kroenke is a bad choice to be majority share holder but we are stuck with him,Gazidis and Laws, none a atch on the whole board.

222. fatgingergooner says:

What we learn:-

2 footed
    Incredible accuracy
    Powerful shot with both feet
    Weight of pass is perfect
    Good crosser
    Can’t volley!
    PEA and Reus are decent
    Dortmund must always be in the lead because the other teams seem to be playing 2 at the back in a lot of the clips!

Enjoy