Should We Ditch Arsenal Fan TV?

Before anything else is said, I realise it’s not anyone’s decision to remove ArsenalFanTV from the netwaves, apart from Robbie’s.

Let’s take a look at a few points in favour and a few against the whole set-up.

Pros

• Gives the fans a voice
  • Allows fans to vent
  • Presumably the Arsenal PR department monitor what’s being said?
  • Gives Robbie a job
  • Allows some, who would struggle to find someone to talk to in the pub, a wider audience

Cons

• Interviews are carried out when emotions are raw after a poor result. We all calm down a few hours/days after a bad result
  • Makes us all look ridiculous by association
  • Other teams’ fans laugh at us
  • The rise of celebrity fans like the Wealdstone Raider is detrimental to the image of the UK football-going public

fantv

Have I blown it out of proportion when only a small section of supporters actually watch the youtube videos?

What do you think?

Written by chas

39 Responses to Should We Ditch Arsenal Fan TV?

2. fatgingergooner says:

Only time I really see it is when an Arsenal fan is showing me someone’s rant to point out why Wenger should leave! Says it all really. Although in fairness, I did once see a fan giving a good argument as to why Wenger should stay.

3. fatgingergooner says:

Ox out of Euro’s, Merts out for season, and Arteta definitely leaving.

4. TotalArsenal says:

Fab post, Chas. 😄

Football has always had an important role for (mainly) men to let off steam – to rid themselves of all their life’s angers and disappointments. Where else can you shout and swear at the top of your voice in public? It is also sad but through that negativity is a lot more media candy than positivity. Furthermore, it is a given right to think you would do a better job than the manager, and if somebody puts a camera in front of you it is hard to deny yourself those 15 minutes of fame…. 😳

I never listen to it, but freedom of speech goes a long way.

5. fatgingergooner says:

GiE,

Just a quick response about loading up one side of the pitch. I was looking at average positions of our players during games this season and it’s amazing how much Sanchez being on the field effects our play. When he’s playing then Özil’s average position tends to shift over to his side and all our team moves a little closer to his side. Having said that, I remember against United at home Özil built up play with Ramsey and Bellerin down the right and then played Sanchez in and it worked perfectly. Maybe that’s one of the reasons Wenger was using Ramsey on the wing as it helped to unbalance the opposition and gave Özil someone other than Sanchez to build up play with. We could go that way or go for a RW who can go in behind but is also good to feet and then we would be a threat both sides. You get the impression Özil doesn’t trust everyone the way he does Sanchez.

6. fatgingergooner says:

In other words, we need another Sanchez! Any ideas?

7. They keep interviewing the same few people, so it’s not representative of the Arsenal fan base.

8. AJ says:

when the club has almost succeeded in drowning out the voices of the true fans who want our club to return to its ambitious ways instead of settling for mediocrity, we need another avenue to vent. we need another avenue to let our voices be heard. we need to sort out the kind of change we need and stop being afraid of the future.. before wenger and after wenger the club is still Arsenal FC. No one in this world is indispensable. no one was born to be the only positive that arsenal will ever have. back here in Abuja, Arsenal is the laughing stock of many football fans. they make jest of us and think we are really crazy to still wnat wenger to stay. some have even said that we the fans are the delusional one not wenger. its not looking good for us fans in Nigeria cos we are fed up of wenger and his failed projects.

9. TotalArsenal says:

Great link, Chas.

10. SilverTongue says:

AJ, The true fans? What!. Are you talking about the social media fans who began supporting AFC because of the pretty football and the Invincibles to go along with. They are not true fans.The true fans are the ones inside the stadium at least a couple of times whenever possible, and who support the team because that’s what they were raised to do. Ones who know what the club was all about before Wenger came along. If you support a team solely because of an Invincible season playing beautiful football well then you have no-one to blame but yourselves when disappointed. Do not call Africans true fans, I’m not saying there aren’t any over there, I just know there are a hell of allot more truer one’s in England.

Keep it chas. I enjoy watching there anger. Most of them are a bit thick to, which just means more women for me.

People should control there emotions. I recall in the early eighties going to the Lane and the Bastards humped us 5-0. I think Marc Falco got a hatrick? so with the size of his nose, all those goals were offside.

I came out of the ground fuming. Obviously my rant down Totnumb High Road that Terry Neil had morphed into a shit Dave Allen gave me away, so next second I received a moderate to firm punch on the back of the neck. This is why I now resemble a Stag Trophy head.

I would make an excellent decoration to some one born to money.

So for a laugh I want Fan TV to stay. But next time you see one of those mugs ranting, imagine his head protruding from a stately wall

Mmmm, interesting Terry. I have a vacancy on my wall at home. I was going to put up a picture of Clement Attlee in speedoes on Brighton beach in 1952, but a weird looking stag head of dubious Mediterranean descent could be more appealing.

It all depends on what you mean by money Terry. Can I tempt you with £1.75 and a mounted petrified giant worm removed from a camel in 1972 that held a place in the Guiness book of records at that time?

Many thanks Chas. I don’t really watch the clips. I think the only ones I watch are the ones you put up. I think we should keep it though because I keep hoping to run into Robbie and have my say.

“Now we have a special treat here on arsenal fan T.V as we are privileged to have none other than Tony Cottee with us. What do you want to say Tony?”

“Well Robbie I can’t believe that Venger hasn’t gone for a right footer cutting in from the left and a left footer cutting in from the right. He don’t know what he is bloody doing”.

Another reason to keep it is because I really struggle to find someone to talk to me in the pub so this is probably my only outlet.

Thanks chas.

I stopped watching AFTV because the only chaps interviewed were Mr Angries. It just became repetitive. Sadly, the fans Robbie chooses to interview are all of the same ilk.

And then there are all those imbeciles shouting in the background who think being on camera makes them Johnny Big Potatoes. Pathetic.

But as others have said, it causes no harm (yet).

15. Ant says:

If Gooner B went on Fan Tv they would need some more tape to record it after 2 hours on formation, movement, and the high press.

16. Ant says:

17. fatgingergooner says:

I Withdraw my opinion on Fan TV because according to some I’m not a proper Arsenal fan! 😞

😂

Didit must be enclosed in his rubber suit and braving the waves in this lovely weather.

As he is a founder member of the Morning Crew I hope for a return to rain and cold.

Thanks for the comments. Sorry for the poor standard of the post.

I can’t work out if AJ’s comment was an impassioned defence of ArsenalFanTV or just another anti-Wenger rant. It made me think that maybe ArsenalFanTV has a bigger effect outside of the UK. The youtube videos often get over 100,000 views.
    It is important that somewhere online there is a rational, positive opinion given on all things Arsenal to counter the incessant tide of repetitive negativity.

As for SilverTongue’s dismissal of any Gooner that wasn’t supporting from the cradle, well, it seems patent nonsense to me.

Morning BR
    DidIt must be on manoeuvres.
    Either that or he thought the post wasn’t worth commenting on like most others.

The Robin Cousins of the cat sliding world………

Morning chas, thanks for the post, it makes a good point. Sorry I wasn’t around yesterday to comment. All I would say is that we can do without winding ourselves up with FanTV – there are plenty of other agencies doing that already.

Fine sliding and a nicely polished floor.

24. fatgingergooner says:

I’d love us to beat City tomorrow and West Ham sneak in 4th! Imagine the odds on a top 4 of Leicester, Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham!

Guardiola in the Europa League!

So angry
    Still can’t watch the slider when I push the blue button

Thanks for post Chas.
    I certainly like the principle of fan tv, but I could do it better. So many interesting fans to interview and every time I ve seen it, its same two. Fair enough one pro and one anti

Definitely surfing later Erik. Lateness entirely down to sleeping

Think the Dude from Bude could be wrong
    It was high tide at 7, so will stay calm for another hour, but here it is right now in Bude looking very promising once it’s gone out fro two hours

If Norwich beat Utd at 12:45, that’s top four done

Brilliant slider
    Went on to mobile where it works. Superb footwork 🙂

Yeah yeah
    Everybody hide when Didit rocks up. Very amusing

EDDDIIIIEEEEEEE

Morning all…..I think it’s chicken and egg situation…..do the likes of TalkShite and other pundit “opinion” type media fuel the fan ire, or do the fans when displaying such ire fuel the media coverage as they know it’s sure to get hits and therefore advertising revenue?

For me I think it’s s a bit of both, we have been led to believe by the media that we are garbage and the fans seem to have bought in to it, it also is true that some fans were heading that way on their own, when I managed to start going to games again I picked up a couple of issues of The Gooner, I used to enjoy it but it had become a diatribe of mainly negative stuff towards the club.

Then you have media whores like Tim Payton in charge of the Supporters Trust and we have a recipe for navel gazing departure.

Facing all the fan flak and media crap is Arsene Wenger, OK Leicester have won the league, and it looks like the swamp dwellers have emerged from the shadow for one season. But Arsene must be looking down at Chelsea, ManUre, City, Liverpool etc and wondering what the hell is going on with the mass onslaught directed at him.

Exile

That is a very well constructed comment. That said, I think everything boils down to one simple question:

“Would Arsenal score more goals, and concede less (think Spurs and Athletico) if Arsene splashed out on a thigh length Mac?

33. fatgingergooner says:

There’s no perspective in football these days and there are far too many pundits looking to outdo each other with more and more ludicrous comments. I saw Merson in midweek had said that City’s performance against Madrid was the ‘worst I’ve ever seen in football’! Ridiculous.

Nobody wants to hear about Arsenal being consistent because it’s boring, so it’s much easier to attack the club as it generates hits for crap like FanTV and Talksport.

There’s a New Post ………………

Actually I would love to see Terry interviewed on fan T.V with his unique perspective. I wonder what the upshot of that would be? Probably a whole lot of deeply traumatised doomers all presenting themselves to the funny farm for help.

bugger, caught again

She does it deliberately that peaches you know. She stares into her cauldron to see when I will comment and then sneaks in the dreaded words just before I hit the post comment button. Oh well best go and see the newbie.