Arsenal need Agüero

Everyone and their dog knows that we need Agüero, I know it, you know it and above all Wenger knows it.

Really — is there someone reading this who thinks that Arsene Wenger doesn’t realise that we need an Agüero? Well, in that case, I accuse you of being more naive than Sniffer our resident troll and that takes some doing.

Furthermore, it is not just us who want one of those low centre of gravity players with great close control who seem to effortlessly score twenty goals plus per season; no it is not: Manchester United want one, Chelsea want one, PSG want one and I suspect that Real Madrid would swap Benzema for one. That is a lot of Agüeros needed.

The obvious problem is that there are only four Agüeros on this planet and Barcelona have three of them; the genuine article being safely under contract for the foreseeable future at Manchester City.

With such a shortage of Agüeros what was Wenger supposed to do? The one thing he shouldn’t have done was do nothing and he didn’t; he tried to find a solution: Giroud was his first attempt and Welbeck was his second.

So, once again I say to all those who were whining at the beginning of the season about Wenger having the money and not spending it that all the Agüeros were taken. I am obviously using Sergio Agüero as a metaphor for the dearth of available strikers and I point to the amount of clubs that I name above who were equally on the hunt but were equally unsuccessful.

I suspect that one of the principal divides between Arsenal supporters is that there are those who believe that Wenger would spend 60mil if an Agüero became available and, all importantly, wanted to come to THOF and there are those who believe that for some bizarre reason he wouldn’t spend the money. I say bizarre because it makes no sense for him not to; no manager in Europe has a greater backing of the board, the money was and is there for him to do just that; so of course he is going to want to improve the team if he could, who wouldn’t for crying out loud?

Let me say this slowly: there weren’t any other strikers available at the beginning of the season that is why Wenger didn’t buy one, maybe there was another Giroud but why would we have wanted another one of those.

Am I surprised we haven’t won the league? No, not really, not with the team we have. Giroud is not as bad as some make out; he uses what he has very well but as I have said several times before, he does not have the skill set to win the league. I don’t blame Wenger for buying him; I mean, with the shortage of Agüeros he had to do something.

Walcott is of course another anchor holding us back; the cries of sell him miss a very important point – who out there is dumb enough to buy him? No one is the answer and because of which Walcott isn’t going anywhere. If you cast your mind back to the last contract negotiations which seemed to take an eternity there were people on this site who were saying things like: Walcott is holding the club to ransom by taking as long as he can to agree terms. I said at the time that it was not Theo who was stalling, it was the club who were dragging their feet in the hope that another club would come in for him.

WWWWW The five double-Us

We won’t Win With Walcott. Bit harsh but I got a bit bored watching the Watford game and it came to mind and I have wanted to use it ever since. But thinking about it, is it too harsh, can you imagine winning the league with Walcott? I can’t. When he does eventually leave which will almost only be when his contract is up I suspect we will end up referring to long period we went without a league title as the “Walcott Years”.

Quite a bit of negativity there, some may ask why do you still support Wenger if you are unhappy with two of the key players that he brought to the club? The answer is simple my friends, I do not believe that there is anyone else out there who is more capable of finding an Agüero and bringing him to the home of football than our very own Arsene Wenger.

And there you have it folks, I have tied myself to the mast and if this ship sinks I am going down with it.

Written by LB

147 Responses to Arsenal need Agüero

Thanks, LB.

But if only we’d offered a sensible amount for Suarez.
    I’m sure he wasn’t angling for his dream move to Spain at all.

2. no, these will be known as the giroud years.
    [i used to like walcott, but he has no higher gear. and we need one. (not to mention his attitude)]

3. fatgingergooner says:

If Wenger is going to be in charge next season then he needs to stop with the fairytale football and realise that structure and players playing in their correct positions are an important part of winning matches these days. You only have to look at the teams at the top of the league to see how far workrate and formation can take you. La Liga is another prime example, with Atletico once again showing they can compete with the superstars.

I don’t want to see Wenger just throw his 11 best players on the field and expect them to play beautiful football. Teams are too smart and too organised for that these days. I don’t want to see the slowest CB in the world playing a high line. I don’t want to see an ageing HM player left exposed when our FB’s and fellow CM partner are stood on the edge of the opposition box. I don’t want to see Ramsey playing as a CM player when all he wants to do is attack. I don’t want to see Ramsey having to play RW because the ones we have are shite or think they are something else. I don’t want to see Walcott playing as a lone striker when he clearly isn’t one. In fact I don’t want to see Walcott! I don’t want us having a world class player like Özil looking up and seeing the pacey Giroud trying to run into space! 😩 At least Welbeck is closer to what we need, and I agree about the lack of options, but surely a lot of these are basics!?

Is it too much to ask for a HM player who is mobile enough and good enough to cover his FB’s? Is it too much to ask to expect us to have a striker who compliments our AM’s and the way we want to play? Is it too much to ask to have a RW who isn’t shocking!? Is it too much to ask to have some CM players who know the role and don’t seem to be missing every time the opposition counter attack. Is it too much to ask to have a CB who can head AND tackle! 😱 God forbid!

It feels at times that Wenger just goes out and buys the most talented players he can find regardless of what they bring to the position they are meant to play. Is there any thought about how they gel with the current players? I’m hoping Elneny is a sign that this is going to change as he seems to bring something we missed when Cazorla got injured. Please, please, please let us buy a quality ST, CB and HM! We’ve only needed them for the last 10 f**king years! 😩🔫

Rant over!

Actually LB I don’t think AW realises we need an Aguro, but will continue with players like Giroud and Walcott, though I reckon Walcott will be off this summer.

An upgrade on either would be good but then how many players are there like Aguro, but more to the point how many are really available.

All the original big 4 will be looking to strengthen in the Summer for players who scor regularly who are often described as false number nine’s.

We have to sort out the defence first and foremost and by my reckoning need at least 5 or 6 new players and that isn’t going to happen whoever is in charge.

We are now in a fight for forth, no doubt about it having won only 2 of our last 7 games and this is when AW really has to earn his money,but I doubt he can motivate anymore.I might be wrong but regardless were we finish I see the next few seasons as another traditional period where we well might finish a lot lower.
    Better to have no expectations and then be surprised if there is an upturn.

I am allowed this one moan but weighing everything up the sooner AW leaves the better.Sprurs rubbing salt into the wound hasn’t helped but they have a fine team, young players,several English, and a good young manager.All int ingredience f success and it hurts.

5. fatgingergooner says:

Great post LB. my rant was written before I saw the blog so it’s not really a response to you. I agree with most of what you say, and I believe we’ve been still I with Giroud due to lack of options. In my mind you only have to look at one position in our team this season to see everything that is wrong with us. The RW.

We’ve played Walcott, Sanchez, Ox, Ramsey and Campbell there this season. How many of those would claim that it’s their first position? I guess the answer is none. Walcott thinks he’s van Basten, Sanchez is better on the left, Ox is apparently a central player, Campbell plays up front for his country, and Ramsey is a number 10 (IMO). A club like Arsenal with nobody to play RW! Insane.

Top rant Slim, I have to go out or I would have gone into depth answering it.

Thanks for stepping up LB. Tricky topics. Tricky times.

My view is that from top to bottom, board to fans, manager to players, owner to catering staff, the club is a bit arrogant, bit poncey and a bit wet.

Some hard times will probably do the lot of them some good.

As I say, sod all I can do about any of it.

Thanks LB. Of course we need a striker like Aguero, but what we need more than anything is a change of management.

We don’t have 11 top class players but we do have very good players that should have done a lot better this season.

These are some of our failings:

We are a poor team that plays well below the quality of the sum of its parts
    We are predictable and easy to contain/beat
    Our slow possession based style of play makes us vulnerable to counter attack.
    Our defence has been suspect for years
    We lack players who can motivate those around them
    We can still be bullied by stronger more physical sides
    Our confidence has never been great despite being told the contrary
    We can’t feel safe even when ahead by 3 goals.

I could go on and on. Everything from style of play to the design of the stadium is AW’s work. There is no one in authority at the club who will try to change Arsene – why would they?

It’s all gone stale and is beyond repair. Ours season is over. The fantasy is over, the bubble has burst. A dull malaise has engulfed the players and the supporters, only one thing can change that.

We need a fresh start. We need new ideas, new faces, a new approach because we have seen very clearly this season that it isn’t working any more.

9. fatgingergooner says:

Can’t disagree with that Micky!

I’m starting to think that I don’t really care who’s manager, just aslong as we start improving. Are a club who has spent the last 20 years living within their means and making a profit going to go out and get a manager and allow them to spend £300m on players!? I don’t think so. Id like to see some coaches brought in to help ie Henry, Bergkamp, Neville etc but doubt that will happen.

Looking forward to the end of the season and the summer transfer window as it’s always fun.

Things have been worse! 😂

10. njstone9 says:

The problem with this argument is that Wenger will likely refute it himself this summer by buying another striker. Maybe an improvement on Welbeck and Giroud, but a class below Aguero et al.

And then you think, why didn’t you do that last summer?

Sometimes I think Wenger is like me. Perfectionist. He won’t buy a second rate player if that’s all that’s available. He’s holding out, always holding out for the top quality players.

Maybe he was really, really scarred by the Park, Santos, Bendtner etc etc signings. Terrified of landing another medicore player he can’t shift.

11. fatgingergooner says:

Njstone9

I’ve thought that myself sometimes and the problem is Wenger is a very patient man who has zero pressure from above, so what you end up with is a patient man waiting for the perfect player, which then means you’re stuck with Giroud!

As much as Wenger is to blame for lots of things, there are also a lot of questions that need to be answered by those above him.

12. Higuain & Aguero were available in the previous summers. With either of those two we’d probably be celebrating our second Premiership victory on the bounce.

13. fatgingergooner says:

Morning Rasp,

If Wenger is here next season, which is more than likely, what would you like to see happen in the summer and do you think anything can be done to sort the toxic atmosphere around the club that rears its ugly head every time a result goes against us? You get the impression we might be better off playing our home games behind closed doors next season if things carry on!

14. TotalArsenal says:

LB 🙂

It is a nice theory, but Wenger not being able to find ‘his Aguero’ for three seasons and counting, does not make sense to me.

He wants to spread the goals between the three attackers up front rather than be overdepent on a super CF is my theory. This has not worked too well, even though we only scored a couple of goals less than the leaders, and the real problem is our weak, inconsistent defence.

If Arsene really wanted an Aguero upfront he would have gotten us one by now, just as he found Eduardo some years ago. In my view, he could put AlSexis there and after a few games he would be banging them in for fun ala the sausage running man from Argentina, but we would soon become too reliant on him to get us the goals and, in my view, that is what Wenger wants to avoid.

I expect him to improve the number of goals coming from the mid wingers by making some changes this summer, with Giroud or Welbeck playing the central role again next season.

Finding a new Sol C is what he should be focusing on, but that is a different post.

Thanks for a very well written and argued post, LB.

15. TotalArsenal says:

I also believe that we paid a heavy price for Alexis playing a full tournament last summer, which was made worst by Theo’s goal drought and Welbeck’s long injury. If you take that all into account, did we really do that badly in attack, two goals or so behind the leaders?

Hi FGG, IF AW stays, I hope we concentrate on bringing through the young players like Iwobi, Jeff, Bielik etc. Sadly we don’t have that many defenders coming through.

We are in desperate need of a strong commanding CB as well as a clinical striker. It looks like we will be signing the Swiss HM/B to B which is a bit odd as we have Coquelin, Elneny and Ramsey?

17. wally says:

If wenger stays, and odds are he will, that’s exactly what he’ll be concentrating on. That and hoping something will change.
    You’d like to see the old man go out on top. Unfortunately i don’t think that will happen.

“Mid Wingers” eh Total.

Is that you being Dutch, or did you make it up? 🙂

Us dreamers call them Inside Rights and Inside Lefts 🙂

19. fatgingergooner says:

That would be good Rasp. Agree we need a CB and I hope Chambers gets more games this year as I still think he could be very good for us. I’d be tempted to keep Merts, Kos and Gab and buy a top class CB and loan Chambers to a PL team. Then when he returns Merts can leave and he can compete with the others. There’s talk of him being a HM but I’d prefer him at CB. I like the idea of Xhaka as I don’t see anyone other than Coq being an out and out HM player. I’d have Coq and Xhaka for HM. Cazorla, Elneny and Wilshere for CM, and Ramsey and Özil for AM. That would allow us to rotate whilst making sure we have midfielders who compliment each other rather than the poor pairings we’ve seen this season. I’d also like to see a RW as we don’t have one, and then a top striker too. If the big money was to go on a striker then we could maybe get away with using Sanchez, Campbell, Ox and Welbeck for RW with Iwobi available now on the left aswell.

I definitely want to see JRA, Iwobi and Akpom next season though so I suppose you can’t have 4 signings and youngsters coming through.

20. fatgingergooner says:

Where has JRA been playing for the youngsters? He looks a real prospect but not sure where he would fit in.

I think he plays the same role as Iwobi FGG – attacking mid/No 10

Wellington
    Gnabry
    Hayden
    Sanogo
    Toral
    Kamara

Looking at that, Xhaka, CB and ST would give us so much more balance, but how long have we been saying 3 signings is all we need!

23. Jeremy O Dwyer says:

It seems crazy to think there are no decent strikers available in all of football but then United are spending 80 odd million on a teenager and Chelsea seem to be cornering the market in ‘big name used to be good but how will they cope in the premier league’ type strikers. They’re resorting to buying a player like Pato who was an exciting player about 10 years ago. Even City are looking to a player like Bony when Aguero’s out.

I wonder if there is anything that explains the lack of quality forwards there days. There seemed to be a wealth of them a while back, or maybe it’s just rose tinted glasses.

24. njstone9 says:

Indeed Jeremy.

Shearer
    Sheringham
    Cole
    Wright
    Ferdinand
    Le Tissier

were all England players at around the same time.

Then you had others like Haisselbanck, Yorke etc.

Defending must have gotten better.

25. njstone9 says:

When we had Van Persie we didn’t have Ozil or Sanchez or Cech.

Add a decent striker to this team and we’d be walking the league. We create enough chances and defensively we have a similar record to the other teams.

And we will get a decent striker at last this summer. Wenger has said several times we’re not scoring enough and that is Wenger speak for “I’m going to surprise you all by buying a really good player that none of you expected”.

njstone

Totally agree with that, and agree also that the defensive side of things IS good enough to win the league. Too often we’ve let ourselves down by scoring just the one at home. Two is the required minimum. Conceding the odd goal should not be a problem.

Here’s a sobering stat, Newcastle have scored more goals at home than us this year 😦

28. fatgingergooner says:

Says it all Rasp. I would rather we have 5 away fixtures left as I don’t think the players want to step out at the Emirates right now. Our finishing has been awful this season. Worst I’ve seen under Wenger. Our leading PL scorer has 12! Sanchez has 10 and he missed a large chunk of season and went ages without a goal.

Side note: whoever does the fixture comparison table is doing a wonderful job.

29. fatgingergooner says:

I do agree with your post LB, but I do have an issue with the argument aswell. If Wenger knew he couldn’t get a striker, why not go and spend £50m on a top GK, CB and HM? If we’d had a Cech quality GK for the last 3 seasons and a better HM than Arteta then would we still be struggling for 4th? It feels as though Wenger is reluctant to spend big on anything other than an attacking player. When did we last buy a CB for £20m or a DM for £25m? Have we ever done that?

30. fatgingergooner says:

Arsenal tickets on general sale for West Brom game because fans are angry. Nothing to do with it being on Thursday night of course….

Slim, the problem with having this kind of debate with me is that I can always make the case for Wenger.

Without a time frame it is almost impossible to have any kind of debate, that it way I tried to pin point the post above down to the beginning of the season.

You say if Wenger couldn’t find a striker, why didn’t he spend the money on a GK, well, he sort of did, the problem is that you then move the goal posts back three years which makes it almost impossible to have a like for like debate.

We are all unhappy, some are unhappy about one thing and others another. Ho hum, the life of an Arsenal supporter.

Ah, I see, it’s the Guardian shit-stirring.
    What business is it of theirs if 2,500 are on the Ticket Exchange?
    As you say, it was sold out when it was to be played on a Saturday.

Besides, only an idiot would want to set foot inside that cauldron of hate and resentment so soon after Sunday.

Ant and me are going. 🙂

Thursday’s game might be sold out but I bet there are fewer people there than for any other home game this season, especially when you consider that it is on telly.

Are you going Chas?

Well done you two. You put the rest of us to shame.

Haha, I pre-empted your question. Are you?

Ah, so you’re not.
    Don’t blame you in the slightest.
    I bet you don’t even watch on telly.
    I wouldn’t if I wasn’t going.

I will be going but I suspect that that has more to do with my vacuous life than anything else.

I honestly don’t think I would know what else to do with myself. When there is a home game I turn into a homing pigeon and head for the Emirates.

I notice that Terry has been to every home game this season.

Do you sit near him?

Good that you’re going.

It can’t be any worse than Sunday, can it?

I don’t sit near Terry it’s just that I noticed in one of his comments that he said he had been to every home game this season. I didn’t realise he was so avid and I remember being impressed.

I wasn’t as annoyed about Sunday as most seem to be. I don’t agree at all that the players looked like they didn’t care, I thought they battled really hard. On another day we would have scored three in the first twenty minutes and it would have been game over.

I suspect we will get to see Wilshere on Thursday, that will be something.

LB
    You say Chas and Ant “put the rest of us to shame”
    Are you certain you have called that the right way round?
    Just seems so wrong 🙂

LB
    Do you still reckon Arsene will still put the likes of Mozart in the “shop window” so to speak, or still be too worried about top four to muck about?

Micky

If the league position was decided last Sunday I would expect to see Arteta playing on Thursday.

Jokes aside, if there is nothing to play for against Villa then I would expect TR to play some part, and why not it would be a fitting farewell.

Micky

I have a twenty minute bike ride to the ground those two are coming from Nottingham. Every time I start to think of the logistics of that journey sometimes twice a week I get scared.

Oi, DidIt, get off your big fat one and come and be bored with the rest of us.

Call it pert and you may be in with a chance

God, your attitude stinks sometimes 🙂

Actually, I am sniffing around the remaining fixtures, and rather like the look of Norwich or Villa, but as usual, my life is chaotic and unpredictable

I’m not at the Norwich game because of some inconsiderate so and so having his wedding that day.
    Peaches said she’d look out for someone my ticket, but I’m not sure many will be interested at this stage of this calamitous season.

Why does this remind me of Ray Alan and Lord Charles?

Hey, Aguero has scored.
    We could do with a player like him.

Who the hell is Aguero?

Goodnight 🙂

52. fatgingergooner says:

Good effort Newcastle.

53. TotalArsenal says:

Am a dreamer too, Micky, and mid wingers is much more beautiful than your terms… 😳

If and when Aguerro does not score, or only scores one, Citeh so often drop points. They are totally set up to have Aguerro produce the goals and it’s very good evidence that such ‘one super CF dependency’ is not necessarily better than our approach. But of course it sounds so much better to say if only we had an Aguerro we would win the league with ease.

What seems like a sensible question….why not just buy anyone better than Ollie or Danny? doesn’t really hold up when you consider the consequences of the purchase.

Let’s just assume there’s a budget of £70m to spend on players, if that is then used to buy a centre forward, a centre back and a holding midfielder, we leave ourselves short for the bidding war that may ensue when the right man does appear on the horizon.

We had a pretty full squad at the start of the 15/16 season, that squad hasn’t delivered and I’m struggling to understand why.

FGG makes a fair point about players playing in their correct positions but I also think the players when asked to play out of their natural position for whatever reason should also be answering questions too.

Let’s start in midfield, if you have been asked to play alongside Coquelin, play alongside Coquelin, don’t vacate your position for 70 minutes of the game. If you’re earning £100k a week have the decency to put a shift in when asked to, in whatever position you’ve been asked to play.

55. Aaron says:

So, $h*tty drew Newcastle, so there goes the Aguero scores they win scenario. It is a team game, not just a cf or super mid or D- a team game. Of course we could do with better finishing, but then again how about closing out a few 1-0 games, not hitting the woodwork, not having serious injuries so Arsenal could to get to the finish line in one piece. Just ask barca how is it working for them right now, with arguably the greatest forwards of all time, altogether on one line in the same team. It just is not that easy as many say it is. Go blow money does not always equal better results, ask manure, chavs or psg after getting dropped in CL. Still hope we add some speed, power, injury proof and clinical finishing players, combined with strong D in one team. Oh yeah, we had that when Arsenal won the league.

Lee Mason is a Bolton fan…..suddenly it all becomes clear:

Do aviator shades mean you are definitely a homosexual gentleman or only maybe? Serious question.

Chas
    The Jack vid plays, so only the twitter ones with blue arrows don’t

The Jack vid is youtube, which you’ve posted yourself, so they will definitely play.
    I think the embedded player is Adobe flash player.

What sort of sunglasses do you wear?

They come from The Pound Shop and have massive bits of gold shit on the sides. I go for the Russian oligarch look

ok, maybe an update on Adobe required. Good thinking. Thanks.

To complete the oligarch look, I have the ultimate must-have. Security

I employ a cheap enormous eastern European “illegal”.

Bald. Thick neck and built like a bull on ‘roids. I bought him black wrap around shades from pound shop and a very tight ill-fitting black suit. I then glued a piece of old style curly telephone wire into the monsers ear to make it look like he’s got “comms”

Finally, I ordered the great oaf to keep precisely three paces behind me, looking slowly from side to side at all times, like he’s eyeing potential hostage threats

“No Roman, NO NO” You’ve ruined my theory and look 🙂

Wow, spooky. He looks just like my Alexei

Pump-action?

Is that an invitation? 🙂

must dash

67. Ant says:

Roman can join the Toy Dolls

Nice ties.

69. TotalArsenal says:

If I were asked for the most important advice I could give, that which I considered to be the most useful to the men of our century, I would simply say: in the name of God, stop a moment, cease your work, look around you.” / 1908, Leo Tolstoy in front of his country house

Morning, Chas.

7:56 p.m. — Who are/were Ray Allan and Lord Chas?

Weren’t they the ones @ 8:04 a.m.? 🙂

8:15 p.m. Which one was Aguero?

That’s easy for Tolstoy to say when he lived here 🙂

Meanwhile, others who took his advice, stood outside their country dwellings, and thought “shit, life is terrible” 🙂

In fairness Total, its sound advice and I get your drift 🙂

Right, back to work

That Tolstoy chap must have been a Buddhist hippy . His house was surely a commune

Now this guy has ruined one of our great clubs and \kroenke will do the same if AW stays.
    We also need at least 5 really good players and a back up,but will it happen never . Walcott is off in the Summer.Should have happened 4 years ago but we still have Ollie 😉

I got the all clear yesterday from the cardiologist who supports Hartlepool.

Hope it is safe to comment on footy after 10.30 am. 🙂

Very good post yesterday LB. No surprise that I both agree and disagree with yourself and many other bloggers in equal measure 🙂

You are right that there is a dearth of top quality strikers available at present. What I can’t accept so readily is that Arsene has had no opportunity to get the right player across the last 4 years.

The one that sticks out was Suarez. I don’t believe that Arsene ever had any serious intention here, and was still in the frame of mind that he could develop the attacking team he needed around Giroud (a frame of mind I feel he has retained until very recently). I believe Suarez was looking at us quite seriously and what was needed was to sweeten the deal to Liverpool and make them take the bait. What we didn’t want to do was to p-ss them off so that they dug in out of sheer resolve to not lose face.

In the available striker upgrade debate I therefore tend to agree with T.A in his 10.38 yesterday. Where I obviously disagree with T.A is whether this has been the right way to go. For me it is an absolute no, and I feel the type of striker Giroud is (no fault of his) has hampered our development as an attacking force.

I understand he was possibly the best option at the time RVP was leaving, but there is a difference between being the best immediate option at that time and the best long term option moving forwards. I find it hard to believe that we didn’t have opportunities to secure better options over the last 4 year period.

I am still not sure that just securing some more top players is enough to win us the EPL though. The rest of my thoughts almost entirely align with FGG’s 9.36 and Rasp’s 10.06 yesterday.

Imbalanced squad set ups and not getting the right purchases to balance the squad, players played out of position, and a lack of cohesion and tactical know how and understanding in the team, will all collectively see us lose about 10-20% each season in consistency and results regardless of how good the players look on paper. These are really all aspects for the manager to deal with and any faults in these areas have to be down to him.

As Rasp points out these faults are so consistent now over a long period that you have to feel they will not be properly addressed and I kind of feel we have a Clough situation on our hands where the once great manager considered among the best 2-3 out there has just got a bit older and not recognised the subtle changes in the game.

I feel Clough and Wenger are very similar characters in that there resolve (or stubborn streak) do not allow for an acceptance that others (that could help them) may have new more modern ideas in training, coaching, and playing styles, and they don’t allow for these adaptations and remain resolute in the thought that they still know best in all aspects.

Who knows though, maybe Arsene will adapt next season and with the right purchases we will really kick on and win the big stuff. Maybe he still has a trick up his sleeve. I do seriously doubt it though and like Rasp feel that we are at the end of this era, and possibly have been for 1-2 years now, but are clinging on to it too long.

77. njstone9 says:

On the plus side, the fixture comparison table is going to look *amazing* next year!

ha ha ha njstone
    I’m working, keeping one eye on here, and that has cheered me up.

Oh God, unless things get worse. Oh shut up Didit 🙂

79. TotalArsenal says:

Yes Mickster, easy for Leo to say. 🙂

I guess my point is that we have become slaves of what Arsenal should be achieving rather than just enjoy the here and now (or our glorious long and recent past). After four cups in two years, we aren’t going to win anything this year, but in three months the new season starts and we will have some proper games to look forward to in the meantime….. And the sun is shining in Scotland and the dog is laying lazily in the garden. 🌞🍧🍺🍻🍷🍾🎂⚽️

80. TotalArsenal says:

Pleased to hear you had the all clear, Kelsey 👍

81. William McGoonagal says:

Have the refs for Arsenal’s remaining fixtures been FA vetted for Arsenal friendliness?

GB

I refer you to the very first comment up there.

Very good article on you are my Arsenal which says exactly how I feel currently but in a much better way than I could ever do 🙂

Sorry not much good with all the link stuff so those that want to read it will have to find it themselves.

Yes saw that one LB. Unless I am wrong Chas suggests Suarez was only using us as a pawn to get his dream move. I can’t say that may not be the case because it could be but either side of the argument is speculative. It raises the question though of why did he not actually go there around the negotiating time, if his perceived interest in coming to us was purely a negotiating tactic aimed at the Spanish big boys?

At that time we looked like the up and coming big club, with money, and on the verge of really doing something, so I still maintain that, while he would have always preferred Barca, he also saw us as a very viable option at the time.

How he actually feels now, about having made the right choice to stay at Pool a year before moving to Barca, is a different argument to what he would have considered at that time when we showed an interest in him.

I never understood the Suarez/Arsenal/Liverpool hoo hah at the time, and still do not understand the problem even now.

Fans were furious at Wenger for making a ‘derisory’ offer for Suarez and ‘ruining’ our chances of getting the biter.

None of us fans know the exact details, but that did not stop the outrage, so let’s have a little balance and show the other side of the ‘argument’.

It is quite normal for a club, when buying player, to agree with him a ‘buyout’ clause in the contract. This states an agreed amount, which, if in the future another club meets, and the player is agreeable, will result in his transfer.

The contract is between the player and his new club.

In the Suarez incident, it was alleged that his clause was a little unusual (crap legal advice?) in that it said the buyout came into effect for “a sum in excess of £40m” rather than “a sum of £40m” a very small point.

Arsenal could not simply bid £40m – but had to meet the terms of the clause, and therefore offered £40m + £1.

‘Pool went ape and their officials, and all their ex-players, made a lot of farting noises about how awful Arsenal had been by offering the extra £1 to meet the ‘sum in excess of £40m’ terms.
    What we did was legal and proper in terms of Suarez’s contract.

Where the problem lay was that the contract was between Suarez and ‘Pool. if Suarez had wanted to he could have forced ‘Pool to sell, but in all the furore he stayed shtum.

Arsenal did not have a horse to ride in that race – they had to rely on Suarez forcing ‘Pool to keep to their contract with him, as a third party (Arsenal) could not take legal action, against ‘Pool, and the employment contract was confidential between Suarez and his club and they could not comment or defend themselves.

Why is that so difficult for some to understand?

Just stop for a second and think – in cloud cuckoo land, how much value is ‘in excess’ of £40m? £1 = not enough? £10? another £40m? or perhaps $100m?

The Law does not play silly buggers over subjective sums — if the clause says ‘in excess of £40m – then technically 1p would have been enough.

I have no idea why I bothered with this again – but it makes me cross when the same old bollox is brought up after all this time, simply to have another go at the manager or the club.
    It was wrong then – it is wrong now.

Suarez decided not to join us, thank goodness – and did not force ‘Pool to honour his contractual agreement. End of.

It is Friday, isn’t it? 😀

LB,

My apologies for not mentioning a very good ‘high brow’ Post.

I arrived on the scene very late and forgot to say that I liked it – but I did, and so – now I have – and thought it one of the best for a while.

Some of the other bloggers have produced good stuff too recently, and Erik has made valiant efforts in particular to keep us all happy.
    😀

Evening RA. I agree with everything you said about the Suarez thing, especially about satisfying the legal requirements so we didn’t technically do anything wrong. Fully agreed and I do vaguely remember you saying the same thing at the time.

There is another side to it in that when dealing with negotiating parties it is always easier to get a deal over the line if no party is feeling smarted or disrespected by another. No-one wants to lose face publicly and be seen to have been had over.

Did our approach to it make Liverpool feel this way? If so were they then likely to put their foot down and make things difficult, even though legally we did nothing wrong? That is probably my perception of their reaction, rightly or wrongly, and I do feel Liverpools stance maybe made Suarez aware how angry they were and how messy it could get for him to take on Liverpool and force the issue.

Would a higher bid, even though we didn’t need to and they knew we didn’t need to, have made them say “ok we will do business with you”? If Suarez had seen that it wouldn’t get messy and both parties were happy could it then have had a greater chance of success?

Who knows maybe £50m would have drawn the same response from Liverpool and nothing would have been any different, but if I were doing a risk assessment of the situation then I would maybe have anticipated that the £40m + £1 would have angered them and made them dig in and not play ball with the result being a reduced likelihood of a deal going through.

Historically our deals do seem to become more convoluted and drawn out than many other clubs so prior history may make some fans, perhaps myself included, feel that we didn’t approach it in a sensible way if we were serious about it, even if the legality was fine.

p.s I am sorry if I made you cross R.A by bringing up the same old bollox so you felt you had to bother with the subject all over again 🙂

Hi GoonerB,

You certainly had nothing to do with me pontificating over the ‘Suarez Incident’ – and you rarely if ever have said anything to make me cross!! 🙂

I sometimes switch off when there are repetitive views put across – of course i do it too – but that does not count! 🙂

Nope, you have absolutely nothing to reproach yourself with, as far as I am concerned, and in fact you are amusing, pedantic, when a certain player is mentioned, but ….. so am I – well, pedantic that is ……. and I think you are an all round decent guy.

Perhaps it is I who should apologise to you, for making you think I have taken offence at anything when I haven’t – so I do!! 🙂

Take no notice – I sometimes become a little withdrawn when I have places to go – people to see – and literally get needled for efforts.

AA needs bloggers like you, so keep sitting on the proverbial fence, it makes me smile — today’s was a classic — LB – “I can’t say that may not be the case because it could be but either side of the argument is speculative”. No one does it like you! 🙂

I suspect the above may surprise you – but I do not know why!!

On the morrow.

Incidentally, GB, the blog address you did not remember for You are My Arsenal, is —- youaremyarsenal.com/blog.

Who’d a thunk it? 🙂

Why would Liverpool sell Schwarzer, sorry Suarez, to a direct rival?
    It would be insane.

They obviously asked him to help them win the League in his last season with them and then have his dream move the season after.
    Their gamble nearly paid off with a great high-scoring season in which City just pipped them.

Would they really have wanted it to be us and not them up there with City for a paltry 10m more? Nah.

Haha, speculation station. 🙂

Haha R.A., Noneed for any concern as I don’t take offence easily and didn’t in this case. You should hear some of the things Chas has said to me, and to my face 🙂 I am going to wear the spandex trousers again next time I see him just to see if he says the same thing 🙂

I was more concerned of upsetting a rather large American. Colonial days are over you know and you are bigger and tougher than us now 🙂

You are right I can be pedantic and can be like a dog with a bone arguing a point if I don’t think I have heard a convincing enough argument to the contrary.

Would be great to meet for a beer some time and you would see that I love a bit of banter and don’t take offence easily at all. I think people always have a better perspective of each other once they have met up.

I know I can irk Chas as well for instance but he is a jolly nice chap and he, Ant and the better looking brother are always great company for a pre-match at the FFB. Terry is brilliant company as well but he doesn’t frequent as often.

Morning
    I thought Thursday night football started next season 😉

93. fatgingergooner says:

The most assists by 1 player in a single PL game is 4 and it’s been done on 5 seperate occasions. All 5 of these players have played for Arsenal, can you name them?

Clue: 4 of them were done whilst playing for Arsenal and one whilst playing for Spurs.

Kelsey – I sincerely hope so. If we finish 5th or even lower, it will hit the club where it hurts- pocket. Perhaps then we will get players that we’ve been asking for for several seasons now. And a new manager

sorry Fattie, I don’t even understand the question

this season has been one of the worst in my memory. Capital cup exit – lost to Sheffield Wednesday. FA cup exit – lost to Watford. CL group – lost to both Dynamo Zagreb and Olympiakos. And the League that was ours to take….no, we flopped it in a most spectacular fashion.

Now, I ask the rocks of positivity here to stand up and tell me that everything is ok at the club. Go on!

97. fatgingergooner says:

Can’t disagree with much of that Eddie, although I always question ‘a league which was ours to take’. People are using the ‘it’s only Leicester’ thing a bit too much. Yes, it’s Leicester, but it’s Leicester that have been allowed to acquire a lot of points. In fact, if they get 7 more points then that would have been enough to have beaten Arsenal to the title in 10 of the last 11 seasons. Even 3 more points and it’s 9 of 11. Have Arsenal allowed them to acquire those points? No. We did our bit against them. Do I think we have failed this season? Definitely, but it’s difficult to say we’ve ‘thrown away’ the league when Leicester have gone above and beyond what we’ve been capable of in the last decade.

98. fatgingergooner says:

It’s Friday nights next season Kelsey.

Eddie, im not sure how finishing 5th, not having CL football and having less money is going to attract the players we want. It’s been a massively frustrating season, but we still need to be finishing 4th. We need a win tonight.

Morning all, btw! 😄

Fgg @7.45 – absolutely brilliant.

Some fine reading material on the site yesterday and this morning.

Fgg
    I’d guess at Henry, Bergkamp, Pires and that snake at the chavs.
    Is the spud player Gallas? 🙂

if we acquired more points than Leicester we would have beaten them playing the beautiful game. They dropped points and if we dropped a few less than the league would be ours.

and do you think that if we finish in top 4 as we always do Wenger will actually buy players that we need? psssshhhhhh

103. fatgingergooner says:

Bergkamp and Fabregas yes. 3 more to go!

GB,

Chas has TWO better looking brothers????

Ain’t nature cruel – but understandable!! 😀

105. fatgingergooner says:

Wengers history would tell us probably not Eddie, but I think it’s more likely than if we finish 5th. The club likes to operate within its means and has tried to do so for at least 20 years, I don’t think that’s going to change with or without Wenger.

Not Gallas, then?

RA
    GoonerB is Tony Cottee’s doppelganger – yep, it’s cruel.
    Mind you, would have been even worse if it had been Steve Archibald.

108. fatgingergooner says:

Not Gallas.

One still plays for us, one we saw recently, and one who didn’t like the weather!

109. TotalArsenal says:

Morning Eddie 🙂

The season is not over yet, so why judge it now? Let’s support our boys tonight. CoyrrGs!

That worm David Bentley?

Am I the first to wish Her Maj a Happy 90th Birthday?? 😀

And you too, Kelsey, just 10 to go for your century, eh? 🙂

112. fatgingergooner says:

Chas,

That video is amazing. Dont think I’ve ever seen a team come to the Emirates and play a high line like that! How times have changed.

I am just fed up with the same bollix year after year, after year. We are one of the top clubs in this country (wealth, fan base, ticket prices, stadium, training grounds, history, etc etc) and should be adequately equipped to win the league from time to time, no?

114. fatgingergooner says:

Arteta and Bentley no.

One is at Palace and the one who’s with us has been injured a bit recently (doesn’t narrow it down!).

Ah, didn’t like the weather. 🙂

RA
    Didn’t you notice the blog header when you logged in? 🙂

117. fatgingergooner says:

Reyes! Correct

Never would have got this one.

Adebayor assisting – preposterous.

Oh, hang on, he got one on Sunday. 😦

122. fatgingergooner says:

Cazorla, correct

Adebayor for Spurs, Correct!

That was a tough question. I got just 2 out of 5 😦

125. fatgingergooner says:

That was a good read Chas and is exactly why I stopped using Twitter. A depressing place to be an Arsenal fan.

“However, Arsene wants to play expansive football and a winning run seems to convince him to unbatten the hatches and let his team of Jackson Pollocks flick their paintbrushes at the canvas once more. And this is when the consistency deserts Arsenal and they are left to return to a blank canvas.”

There will be a new post soon, actually by the time you read this there will be a

New Post

128. […] Arsenal need Agüero – Arsenal need Agüero. … and Ramsey is a number 10 (IMO). A club like Arsenal with … Laurent Koscielny Liverpool FC Lucas Podolski Lukas Podolski Manchester … […]