Leicester and Spurs benefiting from small club status

Has to be said anyone who lost consciousness in August 2015 and waking in April 2016 must be scratching their heads looking at the league table and wondering what the hell happened.

Well Leicester have been on an unbelievable journey, the miscreants from N17 are having their “best season ever” (but still may not finish above us) and everyone else has struggled for consistency.

It is well documented that there is an increase in money due next year to all EPL clubs and that to preserve their status they have all spent before they have banked it on a vast array of talented solid Europa and Champions League players complementing their existing squads.

In doing so they have attracted players who are keen on the money but also used to European football. Many of them I suspect have used it as a stepping stone to the holy grail of EPL clubs the top four/five teams who have dominated for so long. Bring themselves to the EPL and show what they can do week in week out and specifically to the big boys.

No disrespect meant to Leicester but plenty intended towards the swamp dwellers this talented bunch of players are not going to enjoy the benefits and add ons that come from playing at the likes of Chelsea, City, Liverpool, United and yes even Arsenal. So when they get to play against these clubs it’s inevitable that they will raise their game to put themselves in the shop window. What self respecting mercenary really wants to turn out in N17 week in week out?

We haven’t lost to either of those above us, how many others can say that, we have struggled elsewhere as have the other super powers of EPL, both Leicester and Spurs have benefited from being small clubs where in reality no one really wants to play….

Gooner in Exile

(Tongue firmly in cheek)

112 Responses to Leicester and Spurs benefiting from small club status

1. Anything to justify your failure – again.

2. Next bus to woolwich says:

Yes, the goons certainly have underachieved. Beating Leicester twice shows they feel superior, however they have let themselves down, maybe woolwich have the big club mentality, thinking all they have to do is show up. All that money spent makes you wonder what’s going on with the hierarchy at the emirates.

3. MBY says:

Go make another banner…..yawn

Hmmm Spudders aplenty have you realised it is an Arsenal site?

5. Mclovin. says:

Hahahaha, as bitter and twisted and obsessed with the mighty Spurs as ever. COYS!!!!!

6. Dan says:

what a complete tosser

7. Dickspur says:

So glad you’ve set us all straight. And there was me thinking it was cos Leicester & Spurs had earned more points from football matches! So – if we get still smaller we might win the EPL. And if we get even smaller than that, we’ll stroll the CL.
    A cunning plan indeed!

Maybe I needed to put the bit about tongue in cheek in bold……..i do love rattling Spud cages……lets hope you can hold on to second place….as always for you Spudders minding the gap and all that it ain’t over till the fat lady sings.

9. Borris says:

It is tongue in cheek and fair play to him there’s nothing too hurtful, goners aren’t supposed to like us and it must be hard for their fans,. That don’t mean I’m not loving our season and laughing at their bitterness! Go and have another 12 year old pushing match with some other goodie fan about auntie winger haha! COYS

10. Iceman says:

Oh dear, stains all over the place! I suppose 54 years of mediocrity will make you a little chirpy.

Just to put something in perspective about being obsessed with Spurs:

A Spurs fan with the same number of major trophy memories (and for major I am generously including the League Cup) would be 51……….

12. Totspur says:

I love the jealousy seeping out of these Gooners, it makes me so happy to read these sort of articles. I love it when they feel the need to lash out like this because they are underachieving. Thank you for making a Spurs fan very happy.

13. Steve says:

How embarrassing. Everyone feels slightly aggrieved that Leicester are playing Allardyce football and are 7 points clear at the top but have some respect. You go on and on about Ozil “the assist king”, how many goals have you scored this year? Seems to me like you should be focusing more on getting the ball in the net as much as possible rather than how many times bug eyes can assist others.

Still, chib up. Youre nailed on for fourth lads!

Can you feel it? The balance shifting in front of you and there’s nothing you can do about it. Of course you’re in denial, I would be too but I’ll tell you again, it’s happening and there is fuck all you can do about it. Spurs now boast the superior squad, better long term manager and in 2 years, the best club stadium in London.

Form an orderly queue at the cliff.

14. Football started in 1992 says:

Yes, let’s have Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool have all the best players, win everything and fight for CL places every season. In fact, why stop there, all the other clubs in England might as well close down.

Just to let one of you know, I have trashed your comment twice, and it is for one reason alone, a word you have used in the comment which is banned on this site, causes all comments to go into moderation and rather than edit a comment with that word in it is routinely trashed.

Surely you have enough to talk about on your own sites that responding to an article on an Arsenal site i pointless…

Balance of power is shifting…….oh how I remember that downward spiral……

17. TotalArsenal says:

You cannot do tongue in cheek with the SPUDS, GiE – that is too complicated for them, diddum’s! 🙂

Spuds always crumble when the sun starts shining as they like to be in dark and damp places. We will finish comfortably above them and have a good old laugh at them in sunny, positive May.

18. Anon says:

Tottenham have always been a bigger club than your lot in your bog. This season we have outplayed your mercanaries, Ozil, Sanchez etc., for at least 120 minutes over the two matches, how you are hurting when the truth comes to light.

19. Iceman says:

@Steve – I’ve heard some deluded bollocks in my time, but you must be on drugs. You have languished behind us for so many years it is beyond a joke. You have one year where you might win something and you suddenly have the balls to start spouting. If you win the league, what does that prove – that you are a once every 55 years arse kicking football machine? No, it just proves that if we are underachievers, then you are not even on the map.

20. steve says:

in fairness the guy did say tongue in cheek and was just having a laugh…im a spurs fan and can understand this lol! Made me smile to be honest so fair play….COYS!

21. Dickspur says:

“A 23 year old Arsenal fan, who turned 5 in 1998 has living memories of Arsenal winning 9 major trophies.”

Just by-the-by, I’ve often noticed that the fans of teams on the slide (mine included in years past!!) suddenly become obsessive historians. Well, you’ve gotta fill the days somehow I suppose.

22. Iceman says:

poster @ 11.57 – your name sums it all up. Nuff said!

23. THFC4EVER says:

Pathetic deluded crap from a nomadic Woolwich nomad.

Nice one GIE

Yes, Totnumb hahaha. They have a chip on there shoulder, that’s all.

Big fat men from Enfield giving it the bigun and attacking Arsenal supporters for the crime of passing A Levels. You tell a Totnumb fan you have a degree in maths and he retaliates by saying Garth Crooks sounds posh.

Apparently the shift in power has been going on for ever. As a kid I remember Alan Mullery claiming Totnumb were a bigger club because after gazing intensely at there floodlights you gained an insight on how to end the Vietnam war? I distinctly recall that when Totnumb got relegated I was convinced a war would erupt with China.

The only time Totnumb have had a great side was in the early sixties. If you watch clips of that old Bill Nich team however you soon realise that the only reason they looked good was the old black & white coverage speeded everything up. The 61 sides top scorer was Buster Keaton.

To be fair, at the moment Totnumb have a good side and are building a new stadium so there fans have every right to be excited. After all, one look at the new stadium lights will enable them to stare at Steve Archibald without squinting.

Keep staring at the lights.

25. JimB says:

As a Spurs fan, I don’t mind this. Just banter. The kind you’d likely have with your gooner mates (and I have plenty!). Harmless stuff. And it’s good to laugh at ourselves once in a while.

Just so long as gooners remember that they’re south London, Sky generation know nothings whose idea of an atmosphere is a pin dropping…… 😉

26. SP says:

Spurs fans comment because articles with ‘Tottenham’ in them appear under Tottenham News on NewsNow. Not exactly rocket science, is it! Though maybe it is for the cranially deformed Goons 🙂

@Gooner in Exile – yes, your club has been more successful in the period since Mr Scholar nearly destroyed our club – before then it was pretty even, really. But you don’t half like to talk about it. We are quite prepared to talk about it, even though it has been a horrible period for us. But you Goons do like to force it as the one topic of discussion. What you are less inclined to talk about is European success. Because, y’know, some folk consider European success to the real mark of a big club. Spurs currently have won three major European trophies. How many have the Goons won? I’ll give you a clue – it’s less than two 🙂 Feeble, really for a club whose fans like go on and on about how massive they are. LoL

Always in our Euro shadow COYS

Jim my biggest disappointment whenever I get to go is the atmosphere in ground, there appears to be too many waiting for others to start it….rather than realising they could do, be interesting how you boys fair when the ground is finally developed.

And recently i have used Spurs (much as I hate to) as an example to other Gooners the difference between oooohs and groaning, your flash in a pan striker shanked a volley off his shin into row Z against us at your place, and yet you all still oohed as if it just missed the top corner, whereas we would groan at a chance that did just go past the top corner. But I guess thats what years of success and goals for fun does to your expectations 😀

SP it may surprise you to know I really couldn’t give a ratsarse about trophies, imagine this, me and my brother as massive Gooners actually cheered Tony Parks penalty save……football was different then, or maybe it was my age then and I didn’t know better….now for some reason it is hate filled bile that spews out of most mouths.

My bringing up trophies is to be told who is a successful club and who isn’t by loud mouthed Spurs fans does the rest of your fanbase no credit, it is difficult to be told that your cub is shite when the trophies say it isn’t. The funniest comeback I’ve heard is an 18 year old telling a 40 year old Spurs fan on the train just how many League titles he had seen in his lifetime and asking the Spurs fan to do the same. 🙂

29. TotalArsenal says:

All the major competitions have a surprise now and again, and the PL needs one desperately to keep some romance going. It is an anomaly season and it will very likely go back to the usual top-four teams next season.

To some extent we should actually not want to finish second behind the Foxes and leave that to the Spuds, as it seems, paradoxically, that the closer a team finishes to Leicester City the more they have to suffer the apparent insult of ‘you did not win the league in the year that the minnows Leicester won it’. The mid-table Chavs who are having an absolute stinker of a season seem to escape of all this for some reason, for example.

I am confident that we will finish above the Spudskies still, but if not, let them have it. It is an anomaly year after all. 😉

Yes, Woolwich? Really hurts that. Much prefer to originate from Tottenham. Better area to purchase petrol with matches.

I went down to Woolwich a few years back. Looking for my ancestors and family tree an all that. I met a lovely old gentleman. After a few hours we soon came to the realisation that he was my great grand father. It was a really touching moment. Since he had no other family he wanted to leave all his belongings to me, house, nice bank balance etc, but I wasn’t having it.

Despite my protestations, he would not take no for an answer so we finally agreed that he transfer everything to me, but to protect him from harm, I insisted on Western Union and a signed document that he was of sound mind and that those black gloves I was wearing were not upsetting him.

You Totnumb lot are just the jealous neighbour. Just because I now have a let property without an authorised HMO license you cant handle it.

Arsenal are a class above and always will be. Its not our fault we have aristocratic connections and know how to pass the Port, whilst you lot have chas & dave.

Just accept it. Jimmy Greaves once said that when he joined Totnumb just after they had just won the double, Bill Nich and others told him even then that Arsenal were bigger than Totnumb.

That is a reality that will never change

31. TotalArsenal says:

You are in fine form today, Terry. Did you get laid already this morning?! 🙂

haha, yes TA. I made sweet love to Felicity Kendall. In the corner Richard Bryors was tied up and gagged, making it all the more exciting.

Its a good life.

33. TotalArsenal says:

well that explains everything )

GIE. Congrats. You have shown us how lacking in humour those twats at the Lane are.

50 years of mediocrity and they get all Jack the Peanut at the PROSPECT of finishing above us for the first time since Mrs Thatcher was PM.

They are so lacking in common-sense that they come onto an Arsenal site and expect to find praise for their one-off season!

Hello
    My name is Mr G.I.Exile. I have just enjoyed a very pleasant week away with my family feasting on the finest fruits of the sea. On my first day back, while the karma is good and my spirits high, I shall pen a post for AA with the word Totnum in the title, then sit back and feel sick.

Thanks for stepping up Exile 🙂

36. Dickspur says:

Hi BR! Like my confrere SP says above, us Tottenham end up on this informative blog because the ‘Tottenham’ in the title is picked up by the NewsNow search engine & the link ends up on the Tottenham section of that august organ! Hope you’ve finally grasped that.

This happens a lot & mainly I ignore it, but today I was very intrigued by GIE’s ‘small is [if not beautiful] successful’ hypothesis. Fair do’s to GIE – he’s made a lot of York & Stevenage fans very happy & they’re booking their CL trips to Madrid & Munich as we speak! And you can be happy too – By GIE’s reckoning, Woolwich are finally headed in the right direction whereas we poor Spurs are clearly & irredeemably fornicated [I love a well-modded site], along with Leicester. BTW, I scanned over some other pieces here & some are halfway sensible – Well done AA!

Anyway, do love you all & DON’T WORRY – you’re still too good to go down in 2016/17.

Peace Y’all!

An Old Hippy Spud! What could be worse????

Oh Lordy Dickspur, I take it you have read back far enough on here to discover the loathsome truth about BR ie hippy as well. Be gentle with him, he has never fully recovered 🙂

Benfica or Athletico? Both sound very promising

39. Dickspur says:

Sadly or otherwise, I haven’t MDI 89. I’d no idea! Hey man, maybe me & BR could set up a support commune for those poor traumatised York & Stevenage fans when the horrible truth finally hits home.

Anyway, just settling down for the Irons v Manure (est’d KO 19.00 – 23.30, depending on traffic).

Cheers Guys!¬

DS
    St Tottingham Day – Postponed for . . . umm . . . dunno

Excellent, GIE.
    Spuddies and everything. 🙂

The players of Leicester and the spuds are definitely mercenaries to a man and only play well to get a move to a decent club. 🙂

I hate it when reasonably intelligent ones turn up. So much easier to detest them when they’re like those making up most of this morning’s bunch.

I bet Andy Carroll goes back to his customary being shite this evening.

Bet Barca and Bayern cruise through as well.

Ha ha. Your problem in trying to set up a commune with BR is you won’t find him. Hardly surprising. He can’t either.

Chas
    Do either Athletico or Benfica have horribly expensive transfer targets we could letch over, or can’t you be bothered? 🙂

We should buy the very best mercenary we can afford.
    I’m not the person to ask which team they come from.
    Kelsey and RC78 are the go-to people.

Anyone predict Koscielny, Gabriel, Elneny, Monreal, Sanchez or Ozil?
    Nah, so what’s the chuffin point?

Mind you, I heard that Harry Kane used to be a Gooner.

…………before he threw his arms around Satan and embraced his dark side.

Yeeeaaaah, like what’s the point 🙂

Griezmann – hmmm maybe, looks like a tart, could be good.

The Benfica forwards would be far too cheap to be interesting.

50. Super post GiE, WordPress sent me a message that we were popular today but I only just had a chance to admire your handiwork.

Lovin’ TA thinking we’ll still finish above the totts, I’m not too sure now. One of my baby spuds was at WHL on Sunday – he’s a chav, hates Tottenham, you figure it out – he said manu were playing really well and then Alli scored and it was mad for 6 minutes.

I’m well placed to send in the plague if needed 😉

BM are so strong they have Lewandowski and Gotze on the bench, and Robben injured.

Wonder if they would sell us Lewandowski?

Holy shit, Benfica’s cheap strikers have scored.

So have MU’s. WH Bob will be gutted

Griezmann scores
    53 goals in 98 games for Athletico
    Is French and a midget 😦

Atletico up but Bayern partly restore normal order.

If MC win the CL 4th place is meaningless .

Lovely finish from Vidal – apparently AW had him on his radar 😀

BR
    4th place is always meaningless, isn’t it?

I thought it attracted all the big plyers, otherwise you are a club like MU who are forced to buy Fellaini, Jones and the €40m reserve whose name escapes me (DeCay?)

Yeaaah, 4th place. What’s the point?

Ha ha, you’re on form tonight Chas 🙂

Oooo, Carroll is up on his decorators table again.

I’m sure Jones was on Wenger’s radar.

The Wenger radar is buggered, jammed, kaput, ex radar 🙂

64. can't be arsed says:

If anyone ever correctly predicted an Arsenal signing.
    If 4th place was a trophy.
    Yep. 🙂

decorators table????

Sounds funny though

66. can't be arsed says:

Whereas the mickydidit89 radar is fully-functioning and about to pluck an obscenely priced goal-scoring machine from the ether.

67. can't be arsed says:

Sorry, referring to something on twitter isn’t the best idea.

Simeone is absolutely exhausting to watch. Nutcase

Anything this summer would be better than an ‘effing goal keeper in a helmet 🙄

Love him, but…. hardly going to score many goals is he? 🙂

70. can't be arsed says:

Charlie Austin
    Pato
    Falcao
    would all look good in a helmet.

71. can't be arsed says:

Bayern through.
    Barca in the balance.

Barca piling the pressure on.

Getting exciting in Madrid. Simeone is frightening

Well, I’ve ruled Simeone out as an Arsenal manager. God, they’re awful to watch. Beginning to want a Barca win

Whoa Athletico pen

76. can't be arsed says:

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo – pen

How did we lose to Barca? Must have been bad luck

78. can't be arsed says:

It was cos they scored in prime number minutes.

79. can't be arsed says:

Good decision

80. can't be arsed says:

Ref not paid enough obviously.

AM have certainly paid him enough. Clear penalty.

82. can't be arsed says:

Simeone would have a fit if he had to cope with French poncery.

Enjoyable game.

84. can't be arsed says:

Barca are shit.
    Sayonara

City will hoping they draw Athletico I’d imagine

Ok, and goodnight from him
    Goodnight

Morning all, sorry had to get busy with work half way through, interesting that all those Spudsers came running but no Foxes. Tells you something I guess. 🙂

Like TA I still believe we can finish above Spurs, shame that the result on the weekend went the way it did…but I still think there are a couple of twists to go.

88. phil says:

Gooner in Exile

I see you’re still chirping away..

Exile

If I was out Norfolk way, I’d be dropping in on Norwich v Sunderland this weekend. 16th v 17th. Relegation decider?

Love the pic. Memories. How many times did you try lowering the needle onto the record while ripped to the tits, and miss

I’ve still got a turntable to turn vinyl into mp3.
    The problem now is eyesight. 🙂

What would Diego be listening to?

I get the romance of the era (ie, one’s youth) but records were bloody awful things. One scratch and buggered

ha ha
    However, as the game progressed I realized how much I’d prefer to see a Barca side play than a Simeone side.

Chas
    Once a wanker, always a wanker 🙂

98. TotalArsenal says:

The Man for the Hand Job: Cruzing for a Bruisng! 😳

6.48 😀

6.41 Looks like French blokes auditioning for a part in a Monty Python sketch

Morning TA,

Always nice when you pop in for a chat

101. TotalArsenal says:

Ted’s the way aha aha I like it! 😀

102. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Raddy

No Denmark or Holland in the Euros, the 88 and 92 winners…. Not the same is it?!

Desperately disappointing. The only positive is that there are no AFC players in either team (is that a positive??)

104. TotalArsenal says:

Arnesen and Lerby are still big names in Holland, Raddy. They brought something to the game that was exciting and fresh. I would love to see a Dutchie or Dane at Arsenal again, but cannot see it happening for a while…. Unless you know of a Great Dane in waiting? 😀

They are all at Ajax!

Total
    Can’t we have your Dutch mob from Holland. Be Boer, DB10 and Overmars?

By the way, and this hurts, I would buy a defender. Just one, mind you 🙂

There is a New Post

108. SP says:

@ Gooner in Exile – Yes, I remember when Spurs and ArseAnal fans used to have proper banter – I often explain this to, what I can only take are Glory Hunter younger, ArseAnal fans who think all they have to do is say ‘always in our shadow’ and all Spurs fans will just blub in the corner while being abused LoL

Yes, but you ‘did’ bring trophies up – I can only react to what I see before me. And the fact remains, no matter how many pithy, catchy come-backs ArseAnal fans, including young ones, can quip in with, ArseAnal’s Euro trophy record is feeble, belying the constant flaunting, boasting taunts of how much bigger a club they are than Spurs. Touché 🙂

And, yes, as recently as 2005, I cheered Liverpool’s CL victory on. Unfortunately, the sheer volume of spite, nastiness and petty hatred their fans seem to come up with have switched me from grudgingly admiring their achievements to feeling contempt for them. It’s a pity and maybe it is just the way things are going. I would do the same with ArseAnal if I hadn’t just endured 20 years of nasty, petty little children taunting me, usually inaccurately and with no actual knowledge of either club and its history. Can a sense of respect be restored? I dunno. I can only repeat, I respond to what I see before me. In this case I responded to the contents of your artocle…is all 🙂