Match stats – discuss

7 – 6

Off Target

7 – 3

Corners

7 – 4

Managers:-

“You never know what can happen. You have to look behind us, clubs are chasing us and we have to be serious and focus. When you see the game that’s one of the places you feel guilty you dropped points.”

Arsene Wenger

“We have a few players who are capable of bending a ball really well. If they put the ball into the box it is up to Andy.

“I told them before that we expected to have time and space on their flanks.”

Slaven Bilic

Man of the Match:- Andy Carroll

Player Ratings taken from the Daily Mail

Ospina 6

Bellerin 6

Koscielny 7

Paulista 6

Monreal 5

Coquelin 5.5

Elneny 6.5

Iwobi 7

Welbeck 5

Ssnchez 6

Özil 5.5

So there are the stats. if you’re an Arsenal supporter obviously we should have won but if you’re a Whammer you know you edged it and probably should have got three points.

Either way it was a fantastic game of football. For the purists we scored three beautiful Arsenal goals and were undone by an Andy Carroll that we should be able to defend against and that on another day could have seen two yellow cards and not been on the pitch for his third goal. Bitter? Moi? You bet.

The best bit was Arsene throwing all the attacking players onto the pitch at the end in search of more goals. Love it when he does that 🙂

Stats compiled by fgg and comment by peaches

62 Responses to Match stats – discuss

1. I think the biggest mistake I’ve made as a supporter in the last few weeks is to think that at any moment the footballing gods were going to smile on us …………. silly me, they’re well and truly up the M1 at Leicester grinning like madmen at how Ranieri has kept his team going. Good luck to them, it’s a great story.

I don’t expect this afternoon to be any different 😉

Thanks FGG
    I’m rushing, so will comment later.

Peaches
    I can see a Sunderland win today. They desperately need it. In fact, it could be a very bad day for us, we’ll see.

Thank you both.I feel it’s a tad hard on Monreal who has arguably been our most improved defender this seasn.

No disgrace in drawing with a good W H side but to be 2-0 up two minutes before half time and then concede two is unforgivable.

That Carroll should have even been on the pitch is another debate but as I have always said a great team is built on a solid defence,something we haven’t got and I don’t think after 32 games,Wenger knows his best side available.

I see Sunderland getting something today (possibly Defoe) and Spurs winning and if that happens the pressure is really on, hopefully I am wrong.

Iwobi will become a star.

On a side note that clash of colours at least on TV was horrible in fact that old gold is a revolting top,the worst for years.

FGG. Thank you.

I expect and hope that Sunderland lose.

The further we get from the WHU game the more pee’d off I become. We should have won, no excuses.

To be 2 up and coasting then 20 minutes later be losing is dreadful, especially given the manner of the goals conceded.

Problem is that the team AW selected was the one every Gooner would have picked.

Thanks FGG/Peaches,

We did score 2 wonderful goals and then allowed ourselves to get mugged 3 times.

When I looked at the re-runs of the goals we conceded, it was clear that our CB’s were defending space and not tight on Carroll.

I get it that we prefer zonal marking and that statistically it is as effective (or maybe more) than man marking, but surely when you have an opponent with such a deadly skill it makes sense to try to negate his threat? Rather than give him a yard and allow him to attack crosses, we should have had someone standing on his boots and blocking his runs.

I agree a 3:3 draw away at this season’s Wham is a decent result, but as Raddy says, losing a 2 goal lead in as many minutes is poor. Arsene said after the match that conceding the second goal was the problem, we should have learned our lesson from the first.

6. wally says:

Some lovely offensive football. Too bad on the result.
    I’m only mildly annoyed. It’s what we do, what we have been doing for quite awhile now isn’t it.
    Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is an indication of insanity.
    I’ve had a look in the mirror. I accept it for what it is now. At some point it may change. Until it can be definitively proven that it has changed i will adjust my expectations of this current group, players and management, to reflect that reality. It makes my day easier.

7. JM says:

“If you love football, you love Arsenal”

The wordings,
    「 それでも
    アーセナルが
    好きだ 」

means: “I prefer Arsenal still”

while the sentence,
    「 ~失望と欲求不滿の先に~ 」

sums up the team’s season: “Ahead of disappointment and desire dissatisfied”

I suppose it is because like many I have already given up on any hopes of winning the league, so I am not too disappointed by yesterday’s result.

After all is said and done, it was fascinating and entertaining to watch, even on TV – and I would not have said no to pasting Wham while we were at it. 🙂

The fact is that Andy Carroll’s goals were not a surprise to anyone – because Arsenal have not been able to handle crosses into the box throughout this season and last.

I blame zonal marking for the goals conceded, because other teams have worked out that any big CF will stay wide and simply out jump and out power our FBs in the air, which Carroll duly did for two of their goals.

It is irritating that our players cannot work out for themselves that if our defenders cannot beat Carroll (or any other big forward in the air) you have to cut off the crosses they feed on at source.

So unsurprisingly the problem was down to our midfield allowing Cresswell, Antonio and Uncle Tom Cobley to take their time in measuring a cross, because no one challenged them.

In fact, altho Bellerin and Monreal were hung out to dry in the air against Carroll, it was really the midfield that needs to sharpen up for next season and learn from this that they need to be the first line of defence, and not back off when attacked.

9. JM says:

Mesut Özil #11
    “THE RAVEN”
    “The Assist Crown”
    “The Magician Gunner”

10. JM says:

Tomáš Rosický #7
    “THE LITTLE MOZART”
    “Arsenal Legend”
    “The True Gunner”

RA

Totally agree with you about the expectation, and therefore, how one could still enjoy the result, or should I say spectacle.

Sunderland 0 Leicester 0
    Half time. The bottom squeaks

Vaaaaardy yesss

Amazing how engrossed you can be in a Sunderland Leicester fixture

It is highly entertaining

2-0 he he he

Now for a draw at SHL

Only thing upsetting me today is that clearly the sun shines over the remainder of the Kingdom.
    Rain and wind rule here
    Still, enjoying the football. Come on Utd.

Ok, draw.

Right, quick blast of air.

Me too. A quick walk to the sea.

21. Ant says:

Poxxyteenio has got that bloody flashers coat on again. I don’t trust him Micky.

Very suspicious I’d agree

Not enjoying this game one bit with all that Spuds singing. Making me sick.

Here’s a pic of Spuds new stadium

Micky, darling, you need to stop talking to yourself! 😀

I watched the Leics game too, and most of it was pretty dire, but I found myself having anxiety issues for the Foxes – very extraordinary sensation!

As we had no hope anyway, I was delighted they won, and tremendously pleased that Vardy was so excellent – like an Ian Wright, Wright, Wright — natural goalscorer.

Ant,

Do you think Pockethingy buys his coats at the same place our Terry gets his? 😀

It’s horrible – but the Spuds could be 3 goals up!

27. Ant says:

RA and Micky 😂

Why has Ant done a blubbing little yellow face?

He told me that every time he writes to you he gets a picture in his mind of a baboon with a big red ass and it makes him cry with laughter! 😀

I think he said it was you – maybe it was Duck he meant! 😀

30. Ant says:

And now it has happened to me too! You will have to keep facing us, Micky! 😂

Tell you what RA, a Utd win, and we could see some blubbing Spuds. That would round off the weekend very nicely.

Come on Utd, you useless bunch of northern twats

34. Ant says:

It’s not a game for Purists Micky, the two best defences (bah, what are they?) in the league

35. Aaron says:

Team draw! Should have lost, but got lucky.
    Had an eerie feeling with a few minutes before halftime Arsenal would concede. They did, then NO response at all, and allow another. Just surreal really. Why not just foul until the whistle blows, kick the ball to the far corner, sit on the damn ball.
    Idiocy, any amateur could figure out.
    Hate to see Ospina in goal, makes me a thousand times more nervous than Cech or even Szcz.
    The plan was simple for whu, just lump it in there and no one could cover carrol especially with our wide backs, and have payet blast a few.
    Leicester’s story is unreal, and Arsenal could have easily won the league this year except we have no back ups for our injuries.
    Enjoyable game to watch nonetheless.

36. Karim says:

Dimwit Arsenal were chasing the game when le fraud threw all those players on

True Ant
    Imagine a mate asking you the best thing about your team, and answering, our defence
    I mean, just jump now 🙂

Bum. MU rolling over again

Yuk
    This’ll be Spuds nailed on for CL

We’re going to need a game to play, aren’t we?

I mean, it’s a helluva long time till the window opens 🙂

Well at least we could finish third.Hating Spurs doesn’t make Arsenal play better and in any case it’s just geographycal these days.How many of these Spurs players had even heard of Tottenham before they joined whilst Highbury and the surrounding district of Islington is upper class 😉 It’s the fans who will either be elated or distraught.

Spurs are playing well and if they can keep their star players and manager, they will be a force to be reckoned with .Can someone tell Kroenke to tell Wenger to spend some of the 155 million available.
    155 million you ask, well a very respected blogger on here told me that figure today and its £sterling not Lira.

Crystals

I think the whole Spurs issue is worse for those who live and work in the area.

Is the Antiques Roadshow show on? If so, I’m off 🙂

44. fatgingergooner says:

Leicester
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Man City

That’s how I reckon it will finish this season.

I think Cech would’ve come out and grabbed at least of the crosses that led to Carroll goals yesterday. I like Ospina as a shot-stopper, but he’s not very good at anything else! Putting Cech on the bench made no sense to me. Season is over for us now and I think we will stroll to second place with the fixtures we have left. Should be fun watching the likes of Iwobi and Elneny improving and Wilshere coming back (nailed on for an England starting place with Hendersons injury) but it’s disappointing how the season has gone. Oh well, onwards and hopefully upwards!

I hope you’re right Slim but I fear you are not.

It was bad enough worrying about Arsenal winning the league or not as the case may be but now, within the space of a day, I am worrying about Leicester winning it.

Leicester were good today but Tottenham were better, look at the remaining fixtures.

Stoke v Tottenham Mon 18 Apr 20:00
    Tottenham v West Brom Mon 25 Apr 20:00
    Chelsea v Tottenham Mon 2 May 20:00
    Tottenham v Southampton Sun 8 May 13:30
    Newcastle v Tottenham Sun 15 May 15:00

Spuds might have a hick up at Chelsea but they are more likely than not to win everyone of those.

Now look at Leicester’s fixtures:

Leicester v West Ham Sun 17 Apr 13:30
    Leicester v Swansea Sun 24 Apr 16:15
    Man Utd v Leicester Sun 1 May 13:30
    Leicester v Everton Sat 7 May 17:30
    Chelsea v Leicester Sun 15 May 15:00

That is fraught with slip ups, at least two I would say, possibly, the nightmare scenario, of three.

As for us, Man city away…………………

It’s supposed to be enjoyable supporting a football team but I find all I do is worry. It feels odd becoming a Leicester fan.

Golf was good 😀

Come on Leicester, you can do it.

Bit quiet yesterday wasn’t it 😀

Perhaps a post might help.

Gentlemen. Good morning.

I woke up 5 mins ago, and have to do scholl run in 15, and coffee is a must before post stuff.

Everyone has scarpered. Not us. Elite AND empty lives. The perfect combo 🙂

We are hardcore wasters

Of all football journalists the one I find most objectionable is Henry Winter. He has an anti- Wenger agenda and thanks to his friendship with Dein constantly rubbishes the club post-DD.

Yes Erik, we are, and whatsmore, I’m ready to waste more time when I get back at around 9.30 🙂

I just read that Winter comment, and I agree with him. We don’t necessarily need to fall out and get cross about these things though 🙂

Reading this it makes one question the loans we are making. Hardly any of our lads are getting pitch time

54. chas mobile says:

Completely agree about Winter – like a journalistic Stewart Robson – wanker.

Post written. . Will publish when I have finished breakfast