7 Bullets in Arsenal’s Head

We saw the good and the bad of Arsenal yesterday. The result and subsequent reaction from AW have added fuel to the ‘we should have bought X, Y & Z’ campaign. No one wanted to write a report on this game, so I have just bulleted the key points as I saw them and invite you all to add your perspective on the game.

1. For 70 minutes we got our game plan spot on and the players executed it perfectly apart from the vital ingredient of taking our chances when they were presented.
  2. A moment’s madness when Mertesacker forgot his discipline and ventured way too high up the pitch (we’ve seen this from him before)
  3. The failure of our defenders to be as cynical as Barca and ‘take one for the team’ by bringing down the player before the ball got anywhere near our box
  4. Bringing on Flamini, it should have been Elneni but he wasn’t even on the bench – why?
  5. Mertesacker laying the ball off to Flamini instead of clearing it out of the box
  6. Flamini being Flamini
  7. Arsene stating we made the same mistake as we did against Monaco as if he had no responsibility to ensure the players understood what went wrong in that game. He should have drilled them in how to avoid making the same mistake again.

Rasp

96 Responses to 7 Bullets in Arsenal’s Head

1. Le Coq Monster says:

Is Elneny the new……..what`s his name, you know…… the Dog eater !…..South Korean chap !
    Some great comments from Kelsey and Herb on the previous post……my Hero`s !. hahaha

2. fatgingergooner says:

Herb,

‘Money spent intelligently guarantees success’

Thats like saying if I pick the right lottery numbers I will win the lottery! In fact, it isn’t like that, because these days there are 8 other teams who also have the right lottery numbers and may even change the rules of the lottery half way through the draw.

Well done Rasp

Passionate concern.

I like most didn’t expect to win but it still hurts.

4. Johnny says:

We lack quality finishers we have said this over and over again –Wenger is of a different opinion

OX- is an underdeveloped footballer he is retrogressing we need to loan him out for one season

Per Mertesacker is causing the team a lot these days Wenger should use Gabriel more in other matches when he is fit

Ramsey is not himself again he has poor judgement of the ball most especially in the middle and in front of goal.

Wenger made a mistake with his substitution not- Flaminiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I was expecting Wenger to start with Welb because of his pace and bring in Giroud around the 60-70mins mark to bully a tired defence.

In all, good 70mins of defensive football from Arsenal but awful attacking spirit from the boys. They are boys not yet men. Men play football not boys

5. JM says:

This 1 bullet is enough:

F.C. Barcelona (Player of the Match focus):

Hi LB, …. but we could have won …. or at least got a draw.

With better finishing, concentration for the full 90 minutes and minus the mistakes from senior players and we could have got the result.

7. JM says:

(In-form) Lionel Messi, FW
    DF: 2; MF: 40; FW: 58
    Offence: 19; Defence: 9; Technique: 20; Power: 16; Speed: 19; Stamina: 16
    Total: 99
    Skill: Annihilator of Enemy Tactics
    Teamstyle: Offence-type (Finished Work)

8. Le Coq Monster says:

I dont no why or what it is, but I haven`t had much love for this competition for a long time, it`s on a level of the Emirates Cup and COC for me.
    Maybe it`s because I have no feelings that we are ever going to win it or that qualifying for it was all about generating money rather than having a hope of winning it, but now even the relegated team this year will get close on £100M with the TV money that even the money is not the greatest pull, although Kroenke will be delighted whatever the outcome.
    It will never be up with the League and FA Cup in my eyes and if we dont get past Hull I will feel hard done by that Wenger played a weakened team against them in the first game having his eye on the unwinnable against the winnable !. His achilles heal has been his obsession with thinking he can win it at the detriment of more winnable trophies.
    It`s all about the money money money !……………………..but what`s the good of that if you dont spend it to improve the team !
    I thought you rich business men, entrepreneurs, company owners and accountants on here were of the philosophy of……Speculate to accumalate !……well it`s the same with football !.

9. Herb's Army says:

You’re missing the point, FGG.
    Arsenal have a similar wage-bill to that of Bayern Munich, so in that respect both clubs are spending a lot of money.
    My question is, do you think Arsenal spend their money as intelligently and efficiently as Bayern?
    If your answer to that is ‘no’, why do you excuse it as a valid excuse for Arsenal’s continued failings?

Good bullet points Rasp. I can’t believe you saw all of that from your perch 🙂

11. Sid says:

Sorry, thank you for the post on a disappointing day.

12. Herb's Army says:

Sorry Rasp, thanks for the Post.

Hi Sid, I have mentioned before about Barcelona’s dubious history in relation to drug testing

14. Sid says:

Sorry again Rasp, I am unable to read the blog as much as I would like.
    It was just that the doping could come out later this month according to the article.

15. 1derman says:

I agree with every point other than point 7.As a manager you can drill and drill a squad of players as much as you like, what you can’t do is create the same pictures they will see in the game and herein lies the element of risk. I felt we were let down by our attacking play last night. I was at the game and to me we never looked fluid or menacing. Almost as if we attacked whilst fearing the counter. I also felt the referee was very lenient in Barca’s favour until the went ahead

Hi GB, I saw the first 70 minutes from my perch in the pub, and the last 20 on replay when I got home. Very nice to spend the evening with you and your admirable fellow Gooners

Hi 1derman, I was fuming about the referee during the game, but in retrospect that was probably more the beer and the atmosphere talking although not only was he harsh in giving us a yellow card he also fell for all of their dirty tricks

18. Herb's Army says:

The bigger questions for me are, who are we as a club, what are our objectives, short and long term, and why do we keep entering the CL when we’re not trying to win it?
    We’re not taken seriously by other big clubs, and we keep doing what everybody expects us to do without ever trying anything different to silence the doubters.
    I’m struggling to understand the purpose of the club’s continued existence unless we’re just a cash-cow for the shareholders.

Cheers, Rasp.
    Good points well made.
    Flamini – Why?
    Also why was the Ox allowed back on the pitch after half time? – bizarre.

Good point about the ox chas, I was surprised he carried on after the tackle, let alone come out again in the second half. I did think he played quite well up to the injury and justified his selection

22. fatgingergooner says:

Herb,

We have the 4th highest wage bill in the PL behind Chelsea, City and United, so according to your logic us finishing 4th is about right. We are 8th in the world for wage bill so ideally we should be getting to the QF’s of the CL but obviously the draw can mean we face teams with bigger wage bills earlier than that. So with that in mind, why should we be doing so much better than we are? Bayern spend the most in their league by a mile and therefore win it comfortably every season. They have the pick of German players. We have to battle with 3 or 4 clubs just to get decent English players (who are few and far between). Then to get top class foreign talent we are competing with the 7 clubs who spend more than us.

A word on Danny Alves …… OK, I can’t use the word 😕

In this country refs get wise to players who continually try to cheat and fool them (= Costa last season) and they treat them accordingly. Although Alves has made a career out of cheating, he still gets away with it.

The refs decision to book Nacho early on was an indication of who he wanted to ingratiate himself to.

24. Shard says:

I am actually very annoyed at us for throwing away all of our good work (and some good fortune with Suarez not scoring) with two stupid stupid goals to concede. I would say two errors but obviously each of those goals had more than one error to blame.

And while I’ve maintained that it’s better to make chances and miss them than not create at all, I am now very worried about our finishing. It doesn’t seem like Alexis is going to get anywhere near his normal level. If anything, he’s been a liability with his wayward passes and turnovers because he is simply not producing in attack. Theo is so sneaky popping up with that finish against Leicester, but he doesn’t do anywhere near enough. And the Ox. Looks like he has great talent, offers something good, but has virtually no end product. That missed chance was just atrocious finishing.

I think however, it is clear that we aren’t all that far behind the best clubs in the world. We probably do need some better talent in there. But, the biggest frustration lies not in our lack of talent, rather the inability to make the most of it yesterday.

I don’t agree with point 7. Wenger uses the collective, including himself. Also, his obvious frustration both during the game and after, as well as his comments before and after showed that we did indeed prepare against doing something like this. If he’d said something completely different he’d probably be accused of not recognising that the team’s making the same mistakes.

Also, every single defeat becoming a debate on Wenger, the club’s finances/ direction etc is the reason I find it tedious to post on blogs now.

25. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp, I just think the refereeing in European games is terrible in general. It’s catered towards the Spanish League style of play ie no contact, moaning, flopping etc and it makes it a tough adjustment for English sides who still have a bit of contact in their league. The PL is edging towards this pathetic style of play and it will be a sad day when contact disappears from our league as its part of the game IMO.

26. Shard says:

On the refereeing. I think this is the ‘traditional’ bias where the big side gets the 50-50 or even 60-40 calls in their favour. I’ve seen far worse.

If I recall the ref preview/review of this ref before the Bayern game on Untold, I think it said that he’s not a homer. In that he doesn’t let the crowd pressure him into making decisions. Which is probably why he gets assigned to Arsenal’s home matches. Do I see a conspiracy around every corner? If Uefa runs those streets then yeah, I probably do.

Hi FGG, if you are saying that continental refs view feigning injury in an attempt to get an opponent carded is acceptable as part of the game, then I’m voting with BoJo – to get out of Europe 🙂

But this is a serious point. fair enough the ref can be conned during the game but when it is shown to be simulation when reviewed later, there should be retrospective punishment. In that way, Alves and his like would think twice about doing it again in the future.

Alves went down holding his face when there was no contact with his face. That should be an automatic 3 match ban.

28. Herb's Army says:

FGG

I’m going to let you have the last word here, otherwise it will become a tedious circular argument that will kill other people’s enjoyment of blogging.
    We obviously have different opinions concerning the club’s administration and direction.

29. Red Arnie says:

Nice one, Rasp. 🙂

The bullet points are nice, except that there is only one bullet point to cover the first 70 mins, and then one bullet point to cover every 5 mins thereafter.

If we had a bullet point for every 5 mins, perhaps that would have been more appropriate. My point?

Not a lot wrong, except that we did not take our chances and they took one of theirs. That is upto the 80th minute.

What happened with Flamini is plain madness. Agreed, it may be difficult to set judgment on your first attempted touch, but then, if that is the case, you should probably not be in the box.

Agreed also that we defend very deep. Why do we so often wait until the box to make our first real tackle? I have never understood this.

Bottom line. If we continue to play at this level, the League should be ours. But of course, Leicester needs to slip up a bit.

However, for me, still the big prize this year will be the FAC. A historic third consecutive FAC win will be brilliant!

COYG. 🙂

30. Red Arnie says:

We can get out of wherever we want, but we cannot expect the world to follow suit. For that, we need to reform our game first. It is a game of football, not a combination of football and rugby.

We have worked very hard to convince the world that the way football is played in England (except Arsenal, of course) is “robust”. And that is apparently a reasonable way to play the game. We have to unwind this stereotype. Arsenal falls prey to this more often than not! IMO.

Hold that thought Arnie … it is more relevant to tomorrow’s post …..

32. Dundonald Gooner says:

Good old Flammi – he never disappoints…

33. Le Coq Monster says:

I tell you what we are f##king good at if you take in the comments……………………we are excellent at conceding stupid goals !. 😆

Thanks Rasp

Tough call to do a MR given the quality of post match comments on here, where the game was excellently dissected and analysed. So good work from all.

The great advantage of being an Elite Armchairer is that we can pick and choose the good games to attend, and not just rock up to any old crap 🙂

Despite the loss last night, I’m delighted I went, and thoroughly enjoyed the whole event.

A shame that Flamini decided to be Flamini inside the penalty box, and sure there was a defensive lapse, but there we go, the Double is still very much on.

Last thought, before I do some work, I still think it’s essential to play at the top table, so to speak, as it’s the only way to truly calibrate where you’re at.

I don’t actually think Barca got into top gear, but nevertheless, I don’t think their attack was as terrifying as I expected it would be. Ours on the hand, was 🙂

36. akinzo says:

It really hurt to put in so much effort till like the70th minute before showing our true colour when not comes to ceding possession. But really how many football fans the world over believed we would beat Barcelona? There was absolutely nothing before the game that suggested we could beat them. And the point from now on is what direction should the club go to elevate it from being an also ran to genuine contender and champions? For us to climb up a bit to the class of Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern there should be a clear path to take. First, we must win the PL this year in order to attract some real classy players. A club truly desirous of true greatness in the modern game and not one offs must have some classy players in its ranks. We now have some in Ozil and Sanchez but we need more. These are real game changers and the game indeed is not replete with many. We should accelerate the process of acquiring more. So, rather than just getting one marquee signing per season as it’s been the case in the last three seasons we should add two in the summer. The space that the departure of Rosicky, Flamini and Arteta would free up must not be wasted on average players.
    I however want to warn that it is not every expensive purchase that guarantees success. We’ve seen this with the Manchester clubs. The manures have spent a fortune since LVG arrived but have they made any ealing progress? City spent over hundred million pounds this season, yet they don’t look to have seem to have gotten better. Perhaps, if we could bring in the pair of Huguain and Griezmann they could turn out to be great additions. These guys score a lot of goals and that has been our greatest headache this season. But mind you I am not saying they are the best out there, just a suggestion.

37. Red Arnie says:

Rasp. 🙂

38. Red Arnie says:

I agree with Micky. Barca played within themselves while we were stretched. Nevertheless, the way we pushed Barca most other clubs would not be able to do.

Still we played second fiddle. It is a moot point as to what would have happened if Barca pushed up one notch. Perhaps we would have been decimated. Or otherwise, we might have got more space to counter.

39. Shard says:

“I don’t think their attack was as terrifying as I expected it would be. Ours on the hand, was :-)”

That’s brilliant!

Cockie, re: your first comment of the day.

As you well know 🙂 , Elneny is Egyptian

He’s a fully fledged international and acquitted himself remarkably well in his first 2 outings for Arsenal, so much so that he was a candidate for MotM in both games.

The question of whether he is a replacement for Flamini, Arteta, Rosicky, Coquelin or old Bill Bailey is irrelevant.

He’s a very good player and should not be compared to Park Chu-young who, I grant you, was probably signed to encourage the fanbase in the far east.

41. fatgingergooner says:

I like the look of Elneny, but he just needs to bulk up a bit. He does seemed to get outmuscled quite easily.

I agree FGG, it always takes time to acclimatise to the EPL, but he has made an encouraging start.

Rasp. 7 bullet points. Good number 7. George Best, Keegan, Dalgleish, Bobby Pires. Cantona, Becks. Christian R.

I am still angry with Flamini.

What a bizarre substitution. Why not an attacker when we are one down?

I haven’t seen anything on telly so I am not certain what happened but wasn’t Coquelin injured?

Elneny was less out muscled in the second game he played against Hull than he was in his debut against Burnley. It seems as though he is learning fast. The thing that still confuses me is what kind of player he is and where is he most likely to play?

Obviously he is box to box but I haven’t seen him make a tackle and he doesn’t seem an obvious goal scorer, any ideas?

I wrote a post on this subject LB saying that of the current midfielders we have, Elneny is closest to Ramsey IMO

47. Shubham says:

Hard graft but nothing to show for it…Few things that strikes me:

1. Finishing is a big worry. None of our front line players seems certain to convert a chance
    2. Ox is finished..don’t see him crack it at the top level
    3. Ramsey is not a ball distributor and has regressed big time
    4. Coq is not at his best and certainly not his passing
    4. Flamini should focus on changing the world and not football anymore
    5. Alexis is finding it difficult to get going
    6. Arsene has been let down too many times by players he so heavily relies on…

Now onto the league. COYG!

Contrary to popular opinion I thought Ox had a good first half apart from missing his chance. He has been improving with every game played which is no surprise – he is a player who needs a run of games to build confidence.

Shubham must have been watching a different game to me. Ramsey was our best player.

I wish I could still agree about Ox and the run of games theory but he has had a run of games and he is not doing it. True he did look a bit better in the first half but look at the two occasions he had to step up and deliver, watch the moment he gets injured, we had a fantastic break on with Giroud and Ozil busting a gut to get into the box and yet again the Ox chokes. Same goes for his goal scoring opportunity, golden chance — chokes.

Yarmalenko playing for Kiev this evening, he may be one for us to watch for a possible signing in the summer?

51. Shard says:

I agree about the Ox, LB. He offers no end product. Yes he causes some problems with his speed and sometimes he dribbles past players to make some room, but when it comes to taking a shot or picking out the right cross, he invariably chooses wrong or gets a poor touch. Simply not good enough and now he can’t rely on the excuse of not having played enough. It’s about time he started to contribute. And I don’t mean giving the ball away with a stupid dribble attempt near our own box which results in a goal.

Campbell isn’t a great player, takes less risks, but he contributes more with the final ball than Ox does. It messes up the balance of the side a little bit with him and Alexis together, but until Welbeck is ready to start, I’d pick him to partner Alexis and Giroud up front. Theo and the Ox have been very disappointing for a fair amount of time.

Rasp

I have only just seen your comment and yes, I agree that he is the closest to Ramsey.

The thing is though that doesn’t really answer the question. Ramsey is a goal scoring attacking midfielder who is in the process of being taught defensive duties. I just haven’t seen a hint of desire to want to and have to score goals from Elneny. Still early of course but you couldn’t stop Ramsey trying to score when he first arrived, defending, what defending but it is different with Elneny. I can’t put my finger on it.

D Kiev are poor. Next time we have to win our group

54. Red Arnie says:

agreed, Raddy. We can only blame ourselves for the poor first few games. rotation and all that. of course, hindsight is a fantastic gift! 🙂

55. Red Arnie says:

notwithstanding their goal, which was nice.

Evening all, i stick by my comments from last night, there was no need to over commit for a goal in the first leg, 0-0 would have been a positive result to take into anyway leg where Barca would have had to possibly commit more men forward than they did last night.

If we want to learn lessons from Barca it should not necessarily be from their front three it should be from holding midfield, Busquets may be an absolute see you next Tuesday but he rarely left his anchor point, that was key difference Coq’s enthusiasm got the better of him and he left the first hole that caused the rest of the problems for our defenders. Rambo also got stuck in a nothing position as he was edging forward and was also out of the game from the breakdown, they both either needed to be twenty yards further forward to stop the ball coming out so easy or ten yards further back to deal with the ball out.

Rakatic also was rarely involved around the edge of our area, rather keeping his shape and possession and not walking on to defenders in congested areas. What Barca do really well is spread out across the pitch leaving space for their teammates to operate in and making it hard for the opponent to defend in solid banks. This is probably the biggest change from Guardiolas Barca. That and the lack of full pitch press.

On Ox I commented a while back that feel like he has lost some of the natural instinct that made him exciting, to me he is over thinking the game and trying to hard.

Watching Alexis I started to wonder whether he was truly match fit. I know that seems ridiculous when you look at him it he appears to be lacking in his final touches and that always speaks of tired legs to me.

Back to Coq I think he is starting to be a hindrance in that he doesn’t really offer enough with ball at feet, and for me a starting midfield of Ramsey and Santi looks far more palatable than Coq and Santi or Rambo. I know this may make us more open but if full backs are disciplined and if Ramsey and Santi can work out who goes and who holds it has more to offer going forward.

Back to Ox it was noticeable that with Theo on the right flank we got run at a lot more down that flank.

The other lesson to learn is that because their midfielders hold their positions more the attacking three are allowed to cheat on defensive responsibilities, very rarely did they track back more than halfway and that meant when they had possession they had easy outlets.

Possibly Elneny is more Arteta than Coq and that is why he has been brought in for the long term, more Busquets than Ramsey?

I think the Ox has looked not too bad in the last few games but I still maintain that he is not being played in his best position and we will probably not see him at his best till he does. I am relaxed about the Ox cementing his permanent first team role in 2-3 seasons even.

GIE, I have been hoping for a while that AW would devise a set up that would allow for a front 3 always ready to attack and with less defensive duties and with a free roaming Ozil pulling the strings for them. I think we could have already moved towards this with the personnel we have but have chosen not to.

I think Alexis is just struggling in a misfiring front line that doesn’t really compliment his skills. He was pulling rabbits from the hat for a while but we really should be building an attacking formation to bring out the best in him and Ozil, and I don’t feel we are at present. Again I feel we could do better with the personnel we have.

That’s an interesting point about Elneny GiE and goes some way to answering LB’s question.

The thing I like about Elneny is he wants the ball all the time and like Cesc, he has already decided where he will pass it before he receives it and so keeps the game flowing = rhythm

I agree 0-0 would have been a good result, but also 1 nil wouldn’t have been a disaster. Conceding the second goal was the sin and that was where we patently hadn’t learnt from the Monaco game.

The way I see it is where Elneny is concerned he can give us a different option to Santi. When we are in a game that allows us to have more midfielders push forward, with one covering holding midfielder keeping a disciplined position, then Santi is your man.

In the more difficult games against the better opposition, like yesterday and tougher away fixtures against the top EPL sides, then maybe Elneny alongside the holding midfielder is your man. This gives more a disciplined 2 man screen which, like Barca had, frees up the front 3 more.

62. Red Arnie says:

agreed, Rasp. 🙂

63. Red Arnie says:

sorry 😦

Thanks for the bullet points Rasp.

A disappointing, if not surprising outcome to the game.

We would have needed everyone to be on song to get a result but a few of our lot made too many mistakes.

The big thing for me – and it has been an issue all season long – is finishing. We are, as a team, woeful at taking our chances.

The chance Oxo had in the middle of the penalty area… there was a great slow-mo angle on the TV from behind and you could see how his technique was terrible. He tried to side foot the ball but hit it somewhere close to his inside heel. We need players with the composure not to panic at those moments.

For an Ian Wright or a Thierry Henry that would have been a certain goal.

Sanchez’s shooting ability, likewise, has gone badly AWOL, as has Ramsey’s.

Unless we can start finding the net we’re in for a bumpy last quarter of the season.

GIE

Great analysis @9.14

66. JM says:

Elneny – “The Metronome” role in the team. Liken to Demetrio Albertini.

Morning all.

When I read through most of the comments on many blogs, they maybe put in a different way but they back up a lot what I have been saying for months.

Giving people names is pointless we as a team are not playing well yet theoretically more than an outside chance of winning the league.

Yes we always have injuries to key personel,but we are also carrying far too many players for my liking in what amounts to a team challenging to win the league.

Our whole fluidity and enjoyment to watch is diminishing fast.We are playing more misplaced passes than I have seen for years, and our better players have hit a goal drought, which either means the team as a unit is nervous or some of the players just aren’t good enough but really after his ridiculous comments on Tuesday night,the buck stops firmly with Wenger. One can’t live forever talking about how he achieved so much by keeping us competitive some 10 years ago when we moved stadiums, we have to live in the now, surely that’s reasonable enough.
    We are experts in shooting ourselves in the foot and even if we beat United on Sunday who can say hand on heart we will murder Swansea.

We have more money than ever before to improve the team not speculate with players from lower leagues or young and inexperienced,but Wenger still wants to show he can lay down the money card and be frugal.

Cech was an excellent buy but 10 million is a drop in the ocean and even if we only have 60 or 70 million that would have bought us two really great players to enhance the team, and payments are practically always staged. Everyone said Wenger should buy,but he chose not to.Any other manager in any half decent league in Europe would be severely under pressure,but no not Wenger, the club keeps attracting money and kroenke will just say absolutely nothing.
    We may well regret this season as the one that got away.

As far as Barca are concerned it was never going to happen but perhaps if we had a stronger team in a one off game things may have given us more of achance.

One thing that infuriates me on so many Arsenal blogs is that the referees are totally biased against us and that cost us games. That theory is bullshit as it is the same for other teams and generally things balance out during the course of a season.

Get dragging Chas, and you know in which direction to go

Ohhhh ok Crystals, I’ll respond seeing as there’s no option.

Exile makes some excellent points, and every single one of them is ultimately Wenger’s fault for not auctioning the obvious.

Better? 🙂

Nice morning for it

Will you marry me?

Did he leave you any money?

Answer the second question first? 😀

Erik
    No and No 🙂

73. Shard says:

‘generally things balance out during the course of a season.’

Sorry Kelsey but every analysis shows that is patently untrue.

Even statistically, ignoring all bias and malicious intents, is 38 games a large enough sample size for these things to even out? I’d venture not. Especially because eg. a wrongly given red card at 0-0 vs your title opponents, vs a wrongly given red card to the opposition when you are already 4-1 up in the 88th minute are not the same thing.

Damn technology. I’ve been trying to get a vid from telephone to here and it is impossible. Fact.

Hi Shard

The other night, I commented to the Vine sitting next to me how the Ems crowd getting all over excited and shouty at the ref, while justified, I felt was instilling a get out clause for the players. True or not, I don’t know.

Not all my theories are water tight 🙂

Bung it on your C drive. Login to youtube. Upload. Done.

Who wants to talk referees at this time in the morning?

But seeing as this seems to be the topic, IMO Shard is correct. Things do not even out. How can they?

“was instilling a get out clause for the players.”. What does this mean? To whom?

Have you ever heard a player criticise a referee post-game?

I need a surprised dog vid.

So, we’ve always hated going to grounds like Stoke and Everton where the crowd intimidates the ref into giving decisions in the home team’s favour, but when we do it, it’s giving our own players an excuse for losing.
    A quite unbelievable twisting of a normal reaction to a poor ref.

80. Shard says:

Not a surprised dog, but a dancing dog

No no no my dears, what I meant was, perhaps the players start to feel a bit sorry for themselves.

Mind you, if the comment prompted the startled dog look, then, result. Superb 🙂

It didn’t, BR’s did. 🙂

Oh, and it’s Vines as well.

I woke up feeling mean. 🙂

dogs 🙂 🙂 they are hilarious 🙂

micky – chas loved my dogs and they loved him back 🙂 I think he will be getting his own pooch soon

I am still sulking after the game. I hate Barca now and do not adore Messi anymore. Our lads were great, the crowds louder than ever, and all we needed was a striker to put the ball away. Wenger out.

Delighted to prompt such a wonderful array of dog talent.

Must be someone else’s turn to get a vote question for a post

I’ve got it sorted Raddy

88. TotalArsenal says:

Some great comments on here, especially GIE’s analysis is a refreshing take on the game, and LB puts it perfectly re the Ox.

We knew it would be hard to beat the diving tax dodgers with their £250m+ strike-force but Wenger’s tactics sucked the life out of them for a long period, and it was unfortunate that the super chance we had in the first half fell to our weakest attacker. That one had to go in, and everybody knew it. As long as we keep missing out on capitalising on such moment in these ultimate tests, we will struggle to make it through. I have felt for a while that we need to get the right mid-wing position right, and with the inexperienced and struggling for impact all season, the Ox, preferred to Theo, Campbell and Welbeckster, it is clear that Wenger still is not sure about who to play there.

To me it did not feel impossible to make that last step towards this super level, and listening to Arsene post the game it seems that also he has made an assessment of what is still missing. Nothing stops him to strengthen us further.

We definitely have enough to win the domestic league, though, and that includes fire power. Let’s go and spank those Mancs! CoYGs 😜

Morning all and morning purist; firm handshake, little fingers entwined, 2 shakes with a subtle anti-clockwise emphasis and, “ah another purist I see”.

do we want City to win the CL? I think so

Eddie. Yes and No.

Yes because they are English. No because it is another example of financial doping being effective

GB. 😀