Arsenal 2 Burnley 1 — A Supporter’s View.

Thank you Burnley Football Club and all your supporters; we at Arsenal have not been having such a good time recently, results have not gone the way they could and should have for a club with aspirations of winning the league for the first time in thirteen years and so a win yesterday was vital to get us back on track. Thank you again for making that happen; you may just have been the stimulus that wins us at least one trophy.

If the team that Wenger chose to go out and play were a car I think it would be fair to say that Arsene put just enough petrol in the tank to get us to the fifth round; that’s to say that there was just enough quality in the selection to win the tie without wasting the precious energy of Özil, and importantly Ramsey who was looking very tired against Chelsea so this little break should see him back, fresh and raring to go on Tuesday. Not only that, Wenger got to play and we got to see our shiny new toy: Elneny, and what a perfectly respectable debut it was. The man is clearly happy on the ball. I would guess that in the first half the Egyptian had the ball more than any other player; well, except Sanchez, of course, he always has the ball more than any other player on the pitch.

It didn’t stop there, more presents were still under the tree and needed to be opened; we got the chance to welcome back Tomas Rosicky and what a fine reception he received when he came on with twenty minutes to go. But I have saved the biggest present until last: Alex Iwobi, if there was any doubt as to what he can do it was cleared up today, this young man went from strength to strength as the game went on. Buoyed by a fine first half he was obviously encouraged by Wenger during his half time team talk because the Nigerian came out and bossed the midfield in the second half until that is his young legs started to tire and was given a standing ovation as he walked off to make way for Arteta.

The game started as expected with Arsenal having the lion’s share of the ball, putting Burnley under constant pressure. The passing was slick and the commitment was tangible, a goal was on the cards although the scorer was not: Calum Chambers on duty for the rested Bellerin curled the ball with the outside of his boot past the Burnley keeper and into the top corner, a fine finish to what had been at least a twenty pass build up, Sanchez was instrumental throughout and it was his assist: rolling the ball deftly between the legs of a Burnley defender that enabled Chambers to get onto the score sheet.

Chambers goal

One nil to the Arsenal and the world was a wonderful place; we should have simply gone on and crushed Burnley but they had other ideas and equalised from a header while our central defenders had momentarily gone awol. This goal upped the tension and in fact turned a gentle stroll into a cup tie — a cup tie that we needed to win.

In every round of the FA cup there is a giant killing and we very nearly went from being way down the viewing list on Match of the Day to the opening game which you may have noticed happens with every giant killing: Burnley came mighty close to going ahead shortly after the start of the second half but this fright didn’t last long and help was on hand, in the form of Sanchez, our very own Whirling Dervish who put us ahead with a well placed shot, wide of the keeper from an excellent cut back by Oxlaide-Chamberlain. The Ox was better than he has been recently but all it showed me was that this is his level – Championship; he just isn’t improving anymore and others are waiting in the wings ready to take his place in the pecking order.

Interestingly Wenger chose not to shore up the defence and see the game out by bringing on Monreal as he does nine times out of ten in these situations but instead he went for an attacking option and the pace of Walcott who had a golden chance to put the game completely out of reach but Theo fluffed his lines and Burnley almost equalised on the counter attack. The final whistle was blown, we are in the hat for the next round draw and all in all it was an entertaining game of football.

Quick player ratings:

Ospina: back to his best, made some excellent saves, if he is looking for a move he would have done his chances no harm at all with that solid performance. 7

Chambers: he is obviously never going to take Bellerin’s place in the starting line up, well certainly not at right back anyway but he exuded more confidence than I usually notice and a goal certainly helped that. 7

Easter: you can see that the legs are better than Mertescaker but the brain is still not quite there, nothing really wrong but still room for improvement. 6

Koscielny: commanding, possibly even more so that he was captain and had full responsibility for the back line. Not sure where he or PE were when Burnley equalised. 7

Gibbs: a very good performance by his standards, did all the simple things well, just when you can’t see him ever being the first choice LB he surprises. We are lucky to have such quality back up in the still young Englishman. 8

Coquelin: great to have him back, all started well but then he got a knock which looked bad enough that he was going to be forced off; he stayed on but his concentration had gone and he got sloppy. 5

Elneny: I really expected him to throw himself around alla Coquelin but no he was on his feet throughout the game. I was hoping to see if he could defend but I am left with less idea than before the match started. Good start though. 7

Iwobi: this is my Man of the Match, like Elneny I still have no idea which position he is best suited to but if he has aspirations of being a number 10 then he is going to have to be world class to make that position his own at THOF because the competition for that spot is fierce. Good luck young man. 8

Oxlaide-Chamberlain: Keep going Ox we all want you to succeed. I have spoken above about this player. 6

Giroud: I wonder if it is possible to start a game with a back heel, I mean from kick off, the Frenchman seems to like that way of passing so much that it crossed my mind that he could be the first player in history to start a game like that. Ollie was clearly not impressed with the opposition and as such seemed to be only working on 80% effort. 6

Sanchez: still holds the ball longer than he should but being one of only three world class players we have at the club I am just grateful that he is back. 8

Written by LB

140 Responses to Arsenal 2 Burnley 1 — A Supporter’s View.

1. chas mobile says:

Back later to enjoy the report later

Wonderful match report LB … it’s like we’ve wound the clock back 5 years 🙂

I am in total agreement about Iwobi. I was impressed with his touch, his quick and accurate passing and the way he knitted everything together for us – particularly in the second half.

Elneny lived up to my hopes too and in some ways deserves more praise because he has only been training with the squad for a couple of weeks. He’s not a DM, he’s box-to-box who will play DM if required. I guarantee he ran further than any other player on the pitch. He also kicks the ball very sweetly. I knew he could take free kicks but he had several shots in open play that were blocked or narrowly missed … he has an eye for goal, I hope we embrace that in him.

If I have to focus on less positive aspects I would say that Gabriel’s distribution is nowhere near as good as Merts, The Ox is in danger of being surpassed by some of the new youngsters and although Chambers scored, he doesn’t have the pace to be RB, so let’s hope he can develop as a centre back because we now have great quality in the HM position.

I don’t think enough has been made of the fact we made 7-8 changes yesterday. It was a good win. We should have scored more, but I was never in doubt we’d come out on top.

3. Red Arnie says:

hmmm. rubbish me. 😦

Nice little summary from yourself there Rasp.

One small thing that caught my eye was how Elneny was sent out to the left wing for a lot of the second half. I say sent because I am convinced that it was not an accident. In turn, Iwobi moved slightly more centrally and you can see the result in the build up play for the second goal: Iwobi was instrumental. (I am sure Chas will put up a clip of that goal)
    But what interested me more was the seemingly unimportant shift of Elneny to the left, I kept asking, why, why?

And the only answer that I can come up with is that it was a mini trial to see if it would work against Barcelona. We are going to need as many ball winners on the pitch as is possible and with Eleny on the left it enables Wenger to play both Coquelin and Ramsey in the middle.

Just a thought…………..

That’s a very astute observation LB, and may explain Iwobi’s increased influence in the second half – he was basically the playmaker. I have a mad theory about these new players and what may happen in the summer, but I may save that for a post.

Suffice to say that although we clearly missed Sanchez, I’m afraid Cazorla’s future in the team is in question.

Kelsey

Continuing from your earlier point.

Our views on Arsenal’s transfer policy slightly differ. I think we both agree that the club have money to spend, 70 million is the latest figure to be banded around although I believe that the club would spend more if the right opportunity came along.

And there I think is where we differ. If I understand you correctly I think you are annoyed that the club have the money but Arsene Wenger is reluctant to spend it. I, on the other hand, believe that Arsene Wenger would encourage the club to spend it without hesitation if an opportunity came our way.

And there’s the rub: opportunities coming our way.

Ozil and Sanchez are proof that Wenger and the club will spend what is necessary when a world class player want to play for Arsenal but these opportunities are few and far between because as you are well aware there are clubs that are willing to spend more on a player, no matter how much we offer, which more often than not makes it impossible to attract players regardless of the general perception that the club have a 70 million war chest.

I think in summary I believe the the club would spend every penny of the 70 million if an opportunity arose where as I think i’m correct in saying that you remain unconvinced.

Opportunities, opportunities, opportunities or lack of them…………..

I expect Cazorla to see out his contract in the same way as Rosicky has.

And thinking about it Rosicky has been very useful at times. I see Wilshere as Cazorla’s successor.

LB

That is a very well written, fair, rounded, and complete assessment. Thank you very much.

I’m not sure there is anything quite as exciting as discovering real talent. Recently we have seen glimpses of Jeff, Iwobi and Elneny.

ps They are all fast and over six feet tall.

Most go, have to see a man about a dog. Woof.

LB

I look at say the last 5 or 6 years where we consistently finished third or 4 th,I am not going back further because of the expensive transition period.

When we buy in todays market young inexperienced players it is generally believed it is more of a gamble than buying proven quality.A sort od midway point in our discussion.

Very few of these youngsters actually make it to become regular first teamers with an impact and this season especially when all the so called top clubs are under performing or losing matches they are expected to win, we should capitalise on it.

Take sanchez out of the game yesterday and I doubt we would have won.if you look at his goal,which was a very well worked move, The Ox swung and missed the ball but fortunately Sanchez was standing a few feet away from him and crashed it into the net.

This kind of thing happens on a weekly basis recently ad giroud,walcott and the Ox are the main culprits.

I keep saying that we have no leadership to drive the team on and no real physical presence in defence.

I still think AW is a good manager but is stubborn, keeps players far too long who don’t add anything to the squad and wherever possible wants to show he can find a bargain, get the plaudits, but above all his job is just not under threat.

oh no, LB thinks it is xmas time again. Get over it LB, we are almost into Lent, time to repent 🙂

Great match report, thank you. It was a good game to watch, some excellent team work (second goal) and individual brilliance (Chambers’ goal), not much to worry about, but not much to write home about either. Except for Iwobi perhaps, the lad is looking great. He has that PV4 composure and physical attributes.

But frankly, seeing Tottenham and City highlights I became worried, very worried. We don’t look up front as those two teams. Credit to Burnley – they played well, but we are the Arsenal, the title contenders, should we not win games like this one 4-5: nil?

Eddie I think you need to look at the sides fielded in each game before you rush to judgement.

Villa don’t want an FA Cup Run they want to concentrate on battling relegation:

Spuds team to face Colchester of League One (for the most of us that’s the old 3rd division, where Colchester currently sit bottom having scored half as many as they conceded. Add to that they lost their centre backs very early to a freak injury and the Spuds had a pleasant ride, especially considering they played their full strength Epl line up (minus Lloris and Alli. How many of their side do Arsenal fans want to buy, or change that question would have bought when they came available:

Alli – Young unproven
    Dier – Young unproven
    Chadli – average not world class
    Etc etc etc

Excellent, LB. 🙂

I agree that the amount of petrol in the tank was perfectly judged by Wenger, especially with the next Prem game coming so soon.

On the Burnley goal, I think that aside from Chambers not getting goal side, there was little the defence could do when the cross is of the high loopy type, as it was. It was always destined for Vokes’ head from the minute it left the crosser’s boot. It reminded me of an old Roy of the Rovers cartoon where the winger practises crossing by landing the ball into a barrel time and time again.
    Gibbs chased the ball, slipped and brought down Coquelin.
    Elneny attempted to cut out the cross but it went high above him like a laser-guided missile to the big centre-forward.
    Some goals you just can’t stop.

Loved Iwobi’s touch, movement and vision.
    I’d say, all in all, it was a good day at the office.

There are reports this morning that Tomas Rosicky picked up a thigh injury yesterday, and could miss anything up to 6 weeks, while Jack Wilshere’s return, already pushed out to mid-March, could be delayed even further as he’s suffered a reaction to resuming full training.

That might mean another season without football for the 23 year old, a hammer blow for him personally, and a big miss for Arsenal who will have to reassess how they view him in this squad. And if it’s 6 weeks for Rosicky, that’s practically a season ender too.

We’ll wait for official confirmation, but we trust this source here at Arseblog News. Any better updates than this can be considered a bonus.(arseblog usually is right)

Well I for one am not surprise.I have no death wish on our players but that is why we needed to invest as I stated earlier.

I read that Rosicky picked up another injury yesterday and will be sidelined for 6-8 weeks …. sadly that could have been the last time we see him in an Arsenal shirt, at least he felt the warmth from the supporters when he came on yesterday.

🙂 Kelsey … you beat me to it

Elneny and Iwobi make up for Jack and Tomas, maybe?

Can we give Barcelona a bye and concentrate on the league.You know it makes sense 🙂

chas, maybe or more probably I doubt it at least this season.

Kelsey

Continuing: If proven quality isn’t available as you recognise above what other choice does Wenger have but to take a chance on young inexperienced players who could, with a bit of luck, become world class.

I refuse to be dragged down by the constant need for misery.
    Life’s too short.

Well what can I say that I have not already about your match reports LB? Nothing! 🙂

But here’s what I did think – that report s an article clearly written by a proper fan, and makes it both enjoyable to read and identify with – especially to someone who did not see or hear the game on TV or radio. Excellent stuff.

But wait — there is more — your response @ 10:51 is a sensible and mature appraisal of what Arsene should, could or would do with the fabled £70m chump change in his back pocket.

The answers to – should – could – would – spend to invest in a quality player are all in the ‘Yes’ bracket as you indicated – with the proviso, again as you said, that the opportunity to spend it sensibly has to present itself first.

Top stuff. 😀

Incidentally, I have been watching the Sevilla v Levante game, and have just seen another of my favourites, Konoplyanka, score a cracking goal.

Perhaps, in the light of that, I should add to the above, that AW or his scouts need to identify quality players and respond accordingly – they are out there somewhere, so when Koplyanka became available, rather than just thinking ‘he is a good player, but we already have enough attacking midfielders/wingers’, he should take the opportunity to off-load Walcott, Oxo, Gnabry and anyone else who is just not doing it.
    Their sales plus the salaries freed up, plus the mythical £70m would pay for two players, so I would get my Yarmolenko too. 🙂

Tomas, has made it clear that he wants to leave in the summer, regardless of how the rest of the season goes for him.

The only surprise for me is to hear that Wenger offered him another year’s contract extension – not about the offer of an extension – but that Wenger thought a player with such a dreadful track record of injuries over the years could be thought to have a valuable contribution to make to the squad/team.

That smacks of the injury rosters of Diaby, Walcott and now too, the way Jack is going.

We are all told that football is a business and that is why the fans have to suck it up when the cost of a ticket inexorably goes up — and if that is the case, then making Arsenal a care home for old and injured players is just not acceptable.

Ruthless? Me? Yep – I pays my money and I want a team/squad to do the business and win things at the top level — no more Mr Nice Guy.

Chas @ 12:35,

I agree with you – the thing is that counter-intuitively, those who love to dwell in gloomy ‘what ifs’ and after the event ‘I told you so’ comments actually delight in doing so.

So those of a more positive personality are indeed dragged down, while the gloom merchants are pleased to be joined by others as cheesed off as themselves.
    Boo – Bugger off you miserable pariahs! 😀

OK, OK – so I am talking to myself again – so back later when no one is looking! 🙂

No, no, RA, everyone’s welcome here.
    I was speaking only on a personal level.

Here’s another question ….. does anyone think that Theo has lost a bit of pace since coming back from his cruciate? He’s still quick and timed his run perfectly when he created (and then fluffed) the one-on-one with the keeper.

I remember a few years ago, he did the Henry trick of kicking the ball ahead of the defender and just outpacing him to get through on goal, these days he seems to use his pace more sparingly …. or maybe its just our style of play now>

Buzz off, Chas, if you is a pariah! 😀

Rasper, I have often opined that he has lost a yard of pace – and asked the question, ‘when did you last see him beat anyone for pace when running with the ball?’ He always checks back, and passes sideways and backwards. Sad.

Hi Redders, the checking back thing could just be a matter of confidence, but like you, I have noted it.

Rosicky has been offered another year, that is a further year past this summer, I had to write that twice as it is so hard to believe.

This is not meant to be rude but do we have any proof?

The only reason I can see for extending Rosicky’s contract would be because of the wisdom he can impart on the younger players – but you’d think we’ve got plenty who can do that what with TH14 in the coaching set up now.

I still believe that Rosicky and Arteta were as good as wearing for sale signs on the back of their shirts yesterday. They must both know that they wont be back next season and need to try and find work as early as possible.

Almost certainly true LB. I think it was a kindness to a great servant to the club to send Rosicky on yesterday, but that kindness wouldn’t extend to giving him another year for what he can do on the pitch. Jeff R-A may well be asking himself why Rosicky and not him, as he is one for the future.

LB,

No proof of the supposed contract extension offered to Thos R.

But from a fan’s point of view we never have the full story.
    However, what has been reported too, is the opposite side of the equation, and that is the supposed refusal of Rosicky to accept an extension to his contract.

Personally, I think he should have gone years ago, but what is known is that he was continually offered extensions, despite his injuries, otherwise he would not still be with us, so the most recent rumours/stories of a further extension does not altogether seem unusual.

Frankly, I would not believe any rumour until it is proved, but without chatting about rumours there would be no blogs.

LB. Terrific match report. Thank you.

I really enjoyed the game. We were in control for all but 5 minutes, saw some fine play from newbies and some wonderful stuff from Alexis.

Gabriel needs game time as it is always difficult for defenders to adapt to the PL. Even a 100 cap German took a season. He will become an AFC stalwart

Is today JTW deadline day?

Would make more sense for it to be a working weekday

No Raddy, it’s tomorrow but I think 5pm but might be wrong about the time.

Rosicky is in his ninth season with us.has made 107 starts + 65 as sub for a toal of 19 goals. These are PL stats. Will AW keep him one more year for his testimonial
    He missed all of last season when he was 34 and he earns 4.2 million a year.Nice work if you can get it.

FA Cup draw at 6:20 on BBC.

39. Great stuff LB

I enjoyed it yesterday. I was really surprised with Iwobi. It’s not often you see a player of his experience release the ball with such timing and awareness? Usually they play as if they have a rock up there bottom.

I also like the look of Elneny. He was a bit crazy in his running but I put that down to over exeburance and extra strong hashish.

We shouldn’t over analyse the match itself. It happened it happened. For every action there is a reaction

For example I’ve just seen Milton Keynes defender gift Chelsea a goal. The geezer looks about 40 with a face you see on crime watch and instantly think “that geezer is guilty as f*uck”. Poor bloke must get nicked and released every week.

Anyway, it’s probably the first time he’s ever been live on Telly. All his family and friends wished him well and are glued to the box, and he goes and proves he’s quite crap.

What are the repercussions of this crappness. He will get angry and take it out on his wife. She will leave him and he will be forever known as the shit footballer whos wife left him for a man who could pass straight.

Of course, this will just exacerbate his anger so day whilst sitting in his local cafe some innocent bloke will say, “can you pass that salt mate?” He will take it as an insult on his footballing technique, thus forcing him to commit a heinous but gratifying form of violence.

The following week he will be arrested, he must answer for his crimes, but the man with the salt bottle lodged up his anus will be denied justice as the police mistakingly exercise there weekly ritual of arresting and releasing him.

So society is left with a shit footballer and salt violator roaming the streets.

We should not over analyse.

oi Raddy – it is raining and I can’t be bothered to go to Tesco’s. What’s that pasta recipe?

woof woof woof !! didit is dog walking 🙂

Rosicky made 24 appearances in the 2014/15 season.

42. Red Arnie says:

LB. One of the best match reports I have ever read. Not much to add, except

(a) I agree with Chas that Arsene was astute in choosing just the right amount of ammunition for the job. Venga the Alien! 🙂

(b) A fine performance by Ospina and one that was required. Those who criticised his selection before the game please wipe the egg off your faces. 🙂

Go-Pro Arsenal v Burnley trip

At about 2.20 the sound disappears.
    I suggest pausing and putting some music on in another tab.
    I chose Move On Up. 🙂

PCs only.
    Telephone device users – you’re on your own. 🙂

Hmmm, second thoughts.
    Ditch the original music from the beginning and have this going from the start.

Good track choice, goes perfectly with the clip.

My favourite part was seeing Mertesacker, guiltily making his way to the naughty step.

Naughty step. 🙂
    My favourite part was Giroud still trying to recreate his backheel for the winning goal even when driving away.

That music went perfectly. There must be a job for you with a talent like this.

I would have used something by Camel 🙂

51. Red Arnie says:

Terry. the best comedian ever. 🙂

52. Red Arnie says:

Redders @12:42. Top comment on LB’s top comment @10:51. 🙂 🙂 🙂

That will do nicely.

54. Red Arnie says:

Chelsea v Man City

Nah, they used to play it before every game. 🙂

At the end of every game that we won.

Can’t complain with the draw, a lot of useful sides avoided.

Wonder if Didit got the dog

Replay of the Final. Hope we start better

LB
    Hmm, you’re so right. 🙂

Definitely looking forward to the first ‘dog is landed’ comment.
    Though, Mrs DidIt sounds like a discerning customer.

Home draw goodstuff, thanks for report LBthought I commented earlier but it disappeared…..Exile Seniors there yesterday and commented on the welcome for TR7, think anyone who loves watching football loves watching Tommy play. Such ashame his career has been hindered by injury.

Thanks for an excellent write-up LB.

Like you, I thought Oxo was better than he has been in recent games (although his habit of contributing to opposition goals was unfortunately in evidence again: his foul on Le Coq in the run-up to Burnley’s equalizer was a definite yellow card!).

Nevertheless, it’s important to remember that when he first started playing for us we were as excited about him as we are now about Iwobi, which leads me to two conclusions:

Let’s not write off Oxo just yet.

And let’s enjoy Iwobi but reserve judgement for a while…

Decent draw in the Cup.

The Threepeat is on!

Rocky
    It was Gibbo – see 12.05

For the non-viewer, well me, it was reported that t’were Gibbs who ‘tackled’ Le Coq, Rocky.

Now you have changed my mindset, I will have to give credit to Killer Ox! 😀

Are you back and reading my mind, Chas – Thought you had buzzed off. 🙂

Had you lot heard that John Terry will the Chavs at the end of this season.

No contract extension offered to him — no proof tho’. 🙂

That’s ironic, I left out ‘leave’. 🙂 Terry will leave Chelsea next summer.

The BBC is proof.

Anything like that is fine, I genuinely want to read somewhere that Rosicky has been offered another year’s extension — the Daily Star will do. Does that paper still exist, ok if not the Daily Star then the Daily Sketch will work.

One or two more games Chas and you will get the hang of it 🙂

Thanks Rocky

It’s quite funny about Terry, no testimonial, no offers or extensions to give him a chance to turn down for the sake of appearances; just, he is leaving in the summer and that is that.

I think we were right to get excited over the Ox when he first arrived but the fact is he has plateaued. He is getting a run of games so even that excuse cannot be used. If the same happens with Iwobi then he should expect the same.

We all know that Football is a cut throat world but as we also know the best players get paid a fortune.

73. Red Arnie says:

speaking of the Ox, where is Gnabry?

Apparently Gnabri is on his way back from West Brom where he is getting no game time but will go out immediately again to somewhere that he will get game time. This I suspect might be the Championship.

I should have just read the article. Doh.

76. Red Arnie says:

LB. Your well reasoned argument partly validates an otherwise unreliable journo source. 🙂

Great comments today. Would someone care to put their thinking cap on and come up with a short post for tomorrow?

Ah… I feel bad for blaming Oxo for Gibbo’s mishap.

And for not reading all of Chas’s comment at 12.05 😳

To comment on the Ox I think you have to look at some of his early appearances and then some more recent ones and ask what has changed.

And as Rocky says we can draw the same comparisons with Iwobi, and potentially Ramsey and Jack.

They all started getting first team opportunities as youngsters, when a player is young the crowd tend to give them some leeway, we want to highlight all that is good in their game and ignore the weaknesses, because it’s always good to see new talent emerge at your club.

The youngster can play with freedom to express themselves and without carrying the can for poor performances as that is heaped on those with experience around them. But then they get a bit older and they are nearing time when the performance of the team hinges on their contribution and the crowd and probably coaches demand more, they themselves worry about making more of a impact and start to try things they normally wouldn’t, they need a period to get through this. Then they may come out the other side like Rambo, and start to find again what it was they had always done, what it was that got them so much positive attention in the first place and what it is that will bring them success or like Denilson they will wilt in the face of the pressure and return to anonymity. The question is how will Jack and Ox cope with that, how will Hector when his time comes for a blip in form and we haven’t got BFG to be the scapegoat?

80. Red Arnie says:

Top comment, GiE. 🙂

Maybe my mistake, but here is how I see the Ox. I used to like his movements from the right flank towards the box and perhaps into the box. As opposed to down the flank, I no longer seem to see such movements.

Gnabry also showed some promising play of a similar nature. But we have not seen him play for a while now. It seems the Ox is above Gnabry in the pecking order at the moment. Which may be fair, or may not. One would never know until Gnabry can find some game time. It is good we are getting him back from WH. Dont mind a championship side where he will get regular game time.

Panoramic photo of a sausage dog gone wrong

No dog has not landed. Yesterday we were all introduced to each other. The creature will arrive next Saturday.

No dog has not…….
    Ok, sharpen up Didit

6:09
    “Great idea. I’ll go to Africa, sit on a poor person while wearing a pith helmet, extra wax on the tashe, and keep the dark City suit on”
    My God, it’s hardly surprising we made an enemy or two during the Empire days 🙄

Oh, and great Cup draw. Even better when allied to Chelsea City

Sylvain Dornon, the man who walked from Paris to Moscow on stilts in 1891

So, the dog passed muster with the boss of the house.
    Good news.

I think she is actually quite pleased and looking forward to the new arrival, although reading signals about stuff like emotions is very difficult.

On the dog programme I was watching last night they said that dogs look at the left side of our faces to judge our emotional state.
    Apparently the right side of the brain has the emotional bit, so left side of face shows more how we are feeling.

Are you saying I attempt to read Mrs D’s emotional state of mind in the same way a dog reads ours?

I will certainly give it a go 🙂

Apparently they are much better at it than us, so yes. 🙂

Enjoy the salon, I must head off.

When in doubt, give her a sniff.

Morning, post anyone?

96. Red Arnie says:

Motning all.

Micky. The idea that double negations dont cancel off is American. American English, Yankees must be poor in maths. Now, tin hats on! 🙂

chas @7:28 🙂

is it a male or a female beast?

new research revealed that dogs can sense magnetic fields of the earth and relieve themselves facing north-south axis. Not my dogs, shit as they please

Morning all,

Shouldn’t it be ” Yankees must be poor in “math””

Imagine sitting down after dinner with the wife and saying, “Darling, I have a yearning to take my stilts and walk from Paris to Moscow – what do you think?”

Arnie,

That’s an unfortunate comment @ 7:51.

(I presume you were referring to double negatives?)

In fact, Micky’s comment – “No dog has not landed.” was simply missing a comma, in his reply to a question, and was understood to mean – ‘No, dog has not landed’ – perfectly correct English.

And you may not believe this, but with the aid of my fingers, thumbs and toes, I can count to 20.

Raddy – women are conditioned to unreasonable demands/requests from husbands.Nothing would surprise me

WTF is that chas?? At 8:27???

I doubt Monsieur Dornon was married.

Oh dear, is 8.27 offensive?
    I thought it was a joke about Howard Webb.

107. Red Arnie says:

Redders. 🙂 why unfortunate? a joke that generated some discussion. more exciting than perhaps our transfer activity on deadline day? 😛

Raddy. I think mathematics is singular, and maths is the abbreviation. No?

109. Red Arnie says:

Can dogs smell Aedes mosquitoes?

not offensive, just disgusting 🙂

Kanu was at the game? Nice. I never rated him highly and was pleased to see him go, but it is nice to know he still loves the club and boosts the morale of the youngsters.

now chas – all the ducks are white Caucasians, that’s not right

Arnie. Another lost quip – Young Americans (not you RA) have decided to do away with the “s” at the end of Maths, which of course is Lazy English for mathematics.

chas. Of course he wasn’t 😀

113. Red Arnie says:

After a lot of consideration for months my 5-year old niece has come to the conclusion that she wants a “pet brown bat”!! Why? Well, because brown bats do not harm humans and they eat mosquitoes. Apparently thats what Kratt Brothers say. 🙂

arnie – that’s the theme on BBC breakfast news – exotic/fecking strange pets and people who abandon them because they have no idea how to look after them. Get your niece a pug – they look like fat bats 🙂

So, did we conclude exactly where Elneny was playing?

it is easy to follow him on the pitch – his afro pops up everywhere 🙂

117. Red Arnie says:

Eddie. 🙂

Chas. Yes, On the pitch. 🙂

This from a FourFourTwo article – have they ever watched the BFG?

“Arsenal really missed Mertesacker’s aerial dominance in the first half, when Burnley striker Sam Vokes won far too many headers – one of which ended up in the net.”

119. Red Arnie says:

Arsene likes players who have a pet position but who can judiciously use their license to roam. I like as well, except when it comes to full-backs and GK.

I think El Nino was playing DM, but he is also someone who knows how to use his license to roam. 🙂

I wonder what role Mr W gave El Nino

Is an animal which doesn’t respond a pet? A snake or lizard or a spider?

BR
    Are you talking about your ex wives again. 🙂

Morning Arnie, Elnino was not playing DM, he was very much box to box as the illustration above shows. Coquelin played the more disciplined role breaking up play whilst El Nino was more involved in build up play.

Morning Rasp, I have an idea for a post. Can get going and try and keep it concise. Time to get it done depends on how much I am bothered with phone calls e.t.c

A big thanks to LB for yesterdays post, sorry I was away to comment yesterday.

Could El Nino be a Ramsey replacement? Is it possible that young Aaron is wanted eleswhere in a big summer transfer?

There have been rumours on Spanish interest.

I hope not and that El Nino is cover for the departure of Arteta and Flamini

GB. Get writing …

126. Red Arnie says:

Dont agree, Rasp. 🙂

Both Le Coq and El Nino were playing DM but are different style of players. Look at the concentration of positions for El Nino and the direction of passes in Chas’ graphic. You will see an area on the left within our half where he was standing to break up play, pass it back and then run forwards to meet up with the ball again.

That is his game. For me, that is a DM, but an aggressive one.

wow. nice bolleaux. 🙂

Raddy,

I don’t care about the spelling of math or maths frankly, altho it is not just young Americans and Canadians who say and write ‘math’. All generations use the term.

Depending on where people come from, the way they speak or write English is the correct way for them, in my opinion.

So, vive la difference. 🙂

…. New post …..

131. Red Arnie says:

Redders. Indeed. 🙂

when I first arrived in Britain, I used to be quite defensive about my English. Then, someone told me, English is as much an Indian language as a language of the British, the Americans, the Aussies and so on. So just feel free, express yourself in your own way, and celebrate the diversity. 🙂

nevertheless, stereotyping is good fun. 🙂

RA. I was making a poor quip that perhaps your days of being called a Young American have passed 🙂