Major Tom to Ground Control

What a strange season it has been. Who would have thought that the ultra-defensive, park the bus mindset of so many PL managers would change so quickly into the exciting football we have seen in 2015/16. 3-3 draws have become the new 1-0’s. Long may it continue.

Or is it poor defending? 😀

Take today’s opponents, Stoke. Managed by one the the meanest, most defence obsessed, get in their faces, kick their best players out the game, route one obsessed men in the Premiership they have turned into a club who play proper football. What has happened to Sparky?

What changed?  What made the miscreant Hughes buy Shaqiri, Krkic and Affelay?

Whatever the reasons, I am delighted. However, Stoke still have their share of thugs with both Debuchy and Ramsey having bad memories of strong-arm Stoke-isms.

There are exciting developments at Arsenal.The arrival of El Nino and the possible return of Duracell Boy; I don’t expect either to start but both could get some pitch time. Our results suggest that we have not missed Sanchez but there can be little doubt we are better with him on the pitch. If Theo doesn’t put in a decent performance this afternoon the bench awaits. Flamini has done a sterling job but needs a rest –  would you blood El Nino against Stoke or Chelsea? I wouldn’t. A couple of sub appearances are most likely.

I expect the same 11 to start as at Liverpool.

We have lost 5 of the last 8 games at the Britannia. Not good and hard to fathom. We have always finished the season above them and despite the aggressive grunts emanating from the cavemen who grimace bare-chested in the stands, we should do better.

My dream scenario would be an easy Arsenal victory with Aaron Ramsey scoring a hatrick, Flamini giving Shawcross a sly kicking and Kos flattening the cowardly, cheating basket named Arnautovic. But I would take a scrappy , plucky, lucky 3 points.

As always at the Britannia we will need a strong referee who is not influenced by Stoke’s baying boneheads. The incumbent is Craig Pawson; don’t know much about this chap but we must hope for the best.

I am still hurting from the stupid equaliser at Anfield, a win today would set us up nicely for the Chelsea game and to some extent negate that pain. A draw and we go back to TotL.

My youth was spent living for football and music. The first time I saw one of my Heroes was at the Finsbury Park Rainbow. I queued for hours and got tickets to see Bowie. He came on stage an hour late and proceeded to do a 45 minute mime act with Lindsay Kemp and then left the stage. To say I was disappointed is a massive understatement. But … I didn’t give up and was fortunate to see him on many occasions including some of the most exciting and spine tingling musical moments of my life. Words cannot express my thanks to Mr David Bowie.

We can be Heroes …. Just for one day.

COYRRG

142 Responses to Major Tom to Ground Control

Excellent, BR, thanks.

Stoke and their fans do seem to know how to play us. High tempo, no time on the ball, sling it quickly into the box, badger/hound the ref until he thinks he’s reffing a flippin cage fight.

Can we finally find a way of slowing down their stampede?

First goal is crucial (yep, a football truism). Score first and we might take the wind out of their sails. Full of cliches this morning, me. 🙂

What I’d like to see is a proper GoonerB comment with precise instructions for the Arsenal on how to play the marauding Orcs.
    How about it?

It’d be nice to see some changes in how we approach the whole Brittania stadium experience this afternoon.

Top drawer Raddy, thanks.

Yes, what is the last team we’d want to face on a cold, windy snowy day in January …. Stoke 😦

They have much better technical players than previously and I’ve watched them this season and been impressed – but they have a winning formula that they know works against us, will they change it …. I very much doubt it!

4. Uwot says:

To face the orcs.you need guys with cajolnes.you fight fire with fire.if they were available you’ have Gabriel,coq,little Mozart,wilshere,flamster(purely to kick) & Sanchez.all these are prepared to scrap.expect the orcs & their Neanderthal crowd to revert to type today.no question.& Hughes who is ex manure.should you forget.hates us…p.s & expect beanpole crouch to come on & get his customary goal against us.we always same to make him look like a superstar……

It will be interesting to see if Stoke return to type and forget their new attacking style.

If they don’t we will win, if they do …. a difficult afternoon is probable

Dear Lord Erik
    Just read about Mrs R entering the Baltic at minus four. Skin out!!!
    I’ll be back to read the post as soon as I’ve warmed up from entering the atlantic in 5mm of rubber while the sea was a toasty nine degrees
    We understood she had to be thick skinned to put up with you, but crikey

Absolutely superb Erik
    Lost 5 of 8 up there eh. Wow, that is bad news, and definitely an excellent day to address that particular stat..
    Loved the Bowie stuff. It is said his finest performance was Hammersmith ’74. I have the bootleg album, but wouldn’t be at all surprised if you had the ticket stubb.

Lovely, lovely pre-match Odin, King of the Viking Reds aka Erik-the-Red. 😀

A man who can always be relied on to swish and swash his way to the heart of the matter in every Post, and wise enough not to join his Mrs in the cold Baltic Sea and risk shrivelling his assets, like the surfin’ dude’s, aka Mickey!

[Look, between us – your teeny, weeny fib – “My youth was spent living for football and music.” won’t be noticed by the others, as on a Sunday afternoon they will all be sozzled or watching the Mancs take on the Scousers – but shouldn’t that have read; “My youth was spent womanising — and I quite liked football and music, too.” ] 😀

Norther,

Stop pinching the great Erik’s thingy!

Alto’ rumour has it – he quite likes his thingy being pinched! 😀

Ozil not even on the bench?????

Arsenal

09 Odemwingie
    15 Van Ginkel
    16 Adam
    18 Diouf
    25 Crouch
    29 Haugaard

Apparently he has been carrying an injury for some time. I hope the rest of our midfielders will be able to hold onto the ball in his absence, I’d have been tempted to play Iwobi.

Great PM, thank you Raddy. And a lovely tribute to David Bowie.

You have mellowed with age; I remember your Stoke prematches oozing venom, hating just about everything about the Potters and their miserable city.

I have no reason outside of football to dislike Stoke, but Shawcross, Pulis, abuse thrown at Wenger and Ramsey will not, shall not be forgiven, ever.

I don’t have high hopes for today, a point would do, just.

Scary. Neither Sanchez nor Ozil.

And now MU have scored 😦

raddy – here is a deal – we win the league in May and I will go swimming in the Baltic next January

15. Afternoon fun loving gooners 🙂

Lovely pre-match Raddy, thank you. I’ve been thinking about you all week and have a picture in my head of you standing in the record shop in Barking with a stack of Ziggy Stardust albums beside you. Happy Times 🙂

16. What happened to Liverpools exhausting pressing game today???

Thanks Raddy, great report. I was and still am a big Bowie fan. Busy day so sorry I was not on earlier and sorry that I therefore could not raise to Chas’ bate on the first comment 🙂

Briefly though Chas, now with the hindsight of seeing the team I like it, with what is available of course. Ozil I believe is injured so AW has mostly picked correctly IMO.

A big decision on which of AOC and Ramsey is the number 10 or box to box player. I pick Ramsey at 10 and AOC behind him looking at the others in the starting 11.

The other thing is that Stoke are a very different animal now with their front 3 of Bojan, Shaquiri (not sure on spelling) and that bar-steward that did the Boosh. Very mobile with goals in them. Quick CD’s me thinks so possibly Gabriel for Merts I would have considered. Apart from that all is ok and the blades of grass should be fine and dandy Chas.

COYRRG’s.

Weak start for the ref

Phew, budge up
    Not going to be pretty
    Come on you Gunnnnnners

I’m still at work, keep me posted guys …… who’s having the best of it so far?

Is there any evidence of orkism?

Nearly all attacks all in our half, so far, Rasp.

Thanks Redders, are we witnessing role reversal?

15 mins gone and we are clear second best. No fluency and little quality possession

19 minutes gone – and without Mesut we look devoid of ideas – you know, Rasp, across the pitch and backwards passing – and boss-eyed passing at that.

Walcott in his usual scintillating form – busily jogging nowhere – and falling over.

Stoke look to be chasing the title against a mid-table team,

Damn! Giro should have scored from a Campbell thru ball. 😦

26. Good work by Campbell for Girouds shot.

The Gunners seem to be in thrall to our Potteries history.

Role reversal is a kind way of describing it Rasp.

Mind you, when I am being a bit critical the boys put two fingers up and score. Here’s hoping, but shoddy so far, and the Ox is not improving his reputation – and Walcott has lost the ball in a one on one in front of goal.

Think I will stop giving a commentary. 🙂

Very good commentary RA

So want Aaron to drive one in then do a Charlie George

RA. Really enjoying your comments — don’t stop!

Could it be that Stoke are playing well rather than we are playing poorly?

Or that we are playing poorly and Stoke are playing well?

30. Stoke are playing well I think, not amazing but they are playing football. Although I do wince every time they run into one of our players.

Thanks folks, I’m just hopping into my car and heading for the nearest screen 🙂

BTW it’s Kelsey’s birthday today.

Probably up to his neck in cake and ice cream which is a much better plan than watching us struggle.

33. Oh yes, Happy Birthday kelsey 😃

Micky. When Mrs R went swimming today the water temp was minus 2 and the air minus 6!!

Proper Viking.

35. She’s an amazing woman Raddy. How long does she stay in the water for?

In England, we call minus 2 water, ice, and wear sharp metal on the bottoms of our shoes

Oh Peaches, don’t push him. It all gets terribly sordid after the dip. It then involves warm steam, nakedness and spanking. All a bit scandinavian

Ox off has to be step one
    Elneny springs to mind

Took a long time for us to get into the game but we improved and could be in front.

We need Theo to get into better positions and above all for OG to start playing – he has been poor, make that very poor, in this half.

Peaches. Aboout 10 mins.

Micky 😀

Off out to dinner. Don’t tell me the score as I am recording the second half.

Everything will be crossed

Or, Ox off, Aaron deeper and launch an Iwobi

Naked? In -2 water? Dead in 4 mins 😦

Arsenes pre match smile after being asked about Ozil tells mere took a look at the likely Stokeline up and back four and thought…..”foot inflammation” non descript not serious but means I don’t let the Orcs screw up the rest of the season for the possibility of losing some points today.

Not very fluent so far….hope for better second half.

Crikey, nasty thought, maybe Mrs E IS dead, and Erik has snuck out to hide the evidence.

Oh well, back to the game 🙂

I guess most of you already know about my continuing disappointment with Theo, I wish it was otherwise, but he is not the only one struggling today, however, he is so ‘not there’ he must be wearing stealth-fighter camouflage.

Without Ozil and Santi to create chances we really do look ordinary.

We look as if we are lacking in passion, and yet we also look as if we are trying hard — there is a difference – one is a passion to get the job done – the other is trying hard but with an ‘oh, dear – messed it up’. attitude

Would not mind El Nenney to come on and shore up midfield early in the second half and ‘hungry to prove himself’, Iwobi to come on, too — take off Flambo and Theo.

This would be an immense victory if we can pull it off, what with so many top players on the way back

Come on you Gunners

So ref isn’t giving us anything today then?

I’m beginning to think a draw wouldn’t be a terrible result for us.

I have missed the first 10 minutes of the second half – have we got any better.

Uh, oh, Theo has the ballon the wing – can’t beat the defence for pace – tamely passes to a Stoke defender. Tut.

Well, at least Arsene has listened to part of my advice – Theo off, at last – and Iwobi on.

Theo off

Probably just too cold from not doing any running about 😦

53. The Ox had better score after the number of misplaced passes he’s made.

Iwobi’s first three touches were better than most of the teams whole input.

55. wally says:

Chamberlain has been woeful. A complete passenger.
    That said they’ve all, save campbell, been standing around.
    So narrow.

Very easy to see what Arsene said there …. “how’s that a foul for f’s sake”

Just do notbknow who is worse at misplaced passes for Arsenal — is that the same as ‘boss-eyed’?

The Ox, Ramsey and Flamini could not hit the proverbial cow’s ass with a banjo when passing the ball.

Bugger.

Have to say that Nacho has played well, as has Cech.

59. Did you see Shawcross punch Giroud in the face when Campbell curled his shot over the bar.

What a poor game – still – before anyone else says it — a point is better than nowt! 🙂

Very true RA. Bloody awful.

Perhaps someone could send a telegraph to Erik along the lines of: “Don’t rush home stop stay for pudding stop and any after dinner Scandinavian games stop”

Still, top of the league and our footballers all coming back soon.

Peaches
    Would love to pen a match report, but my laptop is brkg dwn nd wont wrte wrds nd sht proply

Crikey – the stats said we had the better of the passing accuracy with 89% — not in the game I watched – must be in a different Universe.

I’ll take that point and say goodbye to the Orcsfor another season thanks very much.

I know we would have all liked a win, but that could be the hardest away fixture we have left. I know that sounds ridiculous but the fact isBritannia isn’t a happy hunting ground for many of the top sides, as Chas said the fans seem to be able to influence the ref, which results in a lot being allowed to go, their fans are the worse kind of hard men though because whilst they moan every “soft” foul given against the they appeal for a foul on every 50:50 they lose. Don’t think Pawson had a particularly good game he won’t hand out bookings unless it’s a sliding tackle, but let’s a lot of tugs and ankle taps that stop attacking momentum go punished with no more than a free kick.

Anyway we didn’t lose our discipline or defensive solidity and we didn’t start rolling over on every challenge or stop trying to win the ball.

If Stoke are trying to rebrand themselves it might help not to have a manager who shakes his head when his own player runs thirty yards to jump into a player with I hope of actually winning the ball and the only intention to cause a few more bruises.

As I said at half time I think Arsene thought Ozil and Alexis were better off being fit to win games in the run in rather than face a back four and midfield who’s only answer would have been to kick out at the legs once the ball wasn’t there anymore.

Theo might be aggrieved to be taken off and replaced with Iwobi but mate it’ll be a wake up call he needs. For the short spell after Iwobi came on he made much better decisions with the ball than Theo had been.

Peaches,

My laptop is as bust as Mickey’s – brkg dwn nd wont wrte wrds nd sht proply.

67. Ian RealGunner says:

Theo a passenger again today, although only watched it on the TV. May get a different perspective from someone who was at the game. Did he make loads of really good runs, but with our poor passing this evening, maybe he just didn’t receive the ball??

You are being a bit hard on Erik, Mickey, with your “any after dinner Scandinavian games stop”

But when he gets going there is no stopping him! 🙂

69. Ian RealGunner says:

Iwobi looked composed and tidy once he came on

I had suggested that we should start with Iwobi before the game. He looks solid and comfortable on the ball.

A draw is an OK result, Mathematically it would have been better to win one and lose one of the last 2 games but in terms of moral, it’s better not to be beaten 🙂

71. Anyone else fancy writing a report have a working laptop 😉

IanReal

Re Theo you asked “Did he make loads of really good runs”

Let’s put it this way, when Theo came off, the Walcott brow was dry and perspiration free and that despite rain

Micky’s laptop seems to be working again 🙂

74. That was a Kentucky fried chicken of a game…. we didn’t play poorly, Stoke played well

Now, is that NB, or Crystals in disguise 🙂

Two tricky away fixtures negotiated without defeat and still top by the skin of our teeth.

Someone on twitter just blamed Arsenal’s lack of energy today, on Klopp and his helter skelter tactics on Wednesday. Somehow we ended up with 2 points from two aways and Liverpool 1 from two homes. Shame Liverpool aren’t our closest rivals.

I’m categorically NOT Didit. He is as broken as his typewriter 🙂

78. Nice one Raddy

I am delighted with the point. Stoke are a menace to those who enjoy facial symmetry. Our players done well to keep there nose becoming there ear.

Two draws at Liverpool and Stoke are good and sets us up for some nice home games, and hopefully we will have some big players back..

Things are looking good.

The Ghosts of the Thirties are Stirring.

Chas

In some ways, that’s an interesting point. Bottom line is we’re top.

Think how much a fit Sanchez, Coquelin, Danny and Mesut would make. My only regret about today was we didn’t see Elneny (ok, or a goal)

Cmon, Micky, how many training sessions has he had with us?
    If he’d have come on and made a mistake, he’d be slaughtered.

Having said that, he didn’t have an incredibly high standard set by our playing midfield to surpass. 🙂

Chas
    He might have shooted 🙂

Anyway, I’m quite pleased in hindsight that Ant and me failed to get tickets for that game.
    Twitter comments from atttendees are miserable and most are amazed, yet again, at how truly vile and loathsome the Stoke fans can actually be. Never been a pleasant place to go.
    Good one to miss, I reckon.

p.s. the damn pretendie was freezing

And I am definitely not tricky Mickey – no one is as broken down as him and his typewriter — well maybe Chas is – or Erik – and when the latter surfaces from his post prandial nooky we can check with him. 🙂

Oddly enough I am relatively happy with the point – not that you might think that from my running commentary. 🙂

When trying to convey the action one tends to become ‘engaged’ with the events without any mitigating thought processes engaged – one just wants the sodding 3 points. 🙂

“the damn pretendie was freezing” ha ha ha

I was going to moan about how cold we were this morning until I read Mrs E’s heroic tale. Still, the silver lining is I, and my son, are both still alive, while Mrs E is stiff as a board and Erik is slaving away out there in the forest trying to bury the evidence.

The swingo middle column updated.

RA

My biggest concern is that we simply do not have enough goals in us as a team, so massive hopes resting on the comebackers.

The solution, Chas, is to keep your ‘pretendie’ covered up – and it will help you to both avoid pretendie frost bite and also being arrested as well. 🙂

Whenever I go in the sea and it’s cold I usually stop in for 45 seconds max. 10 minutes must be excriciatingly painful, mustn’t it?
    Wow.

Oo, oo, must make some cheese on toast before The Antiques Roadshow 🙂

Me too, Micky.

But that leads to the question, is the relative lack of goals (ignoring Wednesday’s 3) caused by the forwards not shooting, or the lack of chances created for them by the midfield sorcerers – not that any were available today.

Just read we only have 6 points from our last 6 away games….not terrific I guess.

So quick bit of maths……we have 16 games to go, 9 are home 7 away….win the home draw the away gives us a total of 78 points…..lets hope we find our away form soon then 🙂

Food – a growing boy like me needs food – gotta find food or I will waste away to 18 stone.

Citeh haven’t played the dippers away, but these give some perspective, maybe?

21 Nov 2015 Manchester City v Liverpool 1-4 Premier League

05 Dec 2015 Stoke City v Manchester City 2-0 Premier League

A mediocre performance from a mediocre team playing mediocre opposition at a mediocre ground in a mediocre game with a mediocre scoreline, the thing that amused me above all was Walcott’s face when he realised he was being replaced by Iwobi, not that Theo had a bad game, he didn’t, he was mediocre.

Life without Ozil is very mediocre.

Match report, right there.

97. LB

It was far from a mediocre game… I thought for a 0-0 it didn’t feel like that

Livid
    No Antiques Roadshow because some children are on telly playing bloody billiards. So angry.

We should buy a good goalscorer shouldn’t we really

Ahhh me cheese on toast
    later

Cheese on toast…..isnt that just pizza?

Exile
    That’s opening a massive can of worms 🙂

7:02
    I guess Mount Vesuvius

I still guess Mount Vesuvius 🙂

After some research, I’m going Mount Vesuvius 1944

Incorrect, it was Mount Vesuvius in 1844

Bollocks. It wasn’t invented in 1844

And anyway, those are allied soldiers in a dressing gowns I reckon after zooming in

Anyway, next quiz pic? 🙂

(otherwise known as: keep dragging the site down)

Vesuvius wasn’t invented in 1844?

The other day when I posted a photo of Sean Connery,well, it was because I’d fallen for an internet hoax that he’d popped his clogs.
    What a sucker!

Name the film?

screaming

ha ha meant Shining

jack Nicholson ‘Daddy’s home’

ha ha meant Shining 🙂

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie
    We’re looking for a dog thing

Mmm, Towering Inferno?

Gotta go

Answers
    The Shining
    Psycho
    Alien 🙂
    Bladerunner

Ah, Psycho. Hitch.
    Alien 🙂

cats cannot play football. fact.

oh, I thought it was just one film to be guessed.

Less than 2 weeks to replace Ox and Theo, is it going to happen?

BTW, interesting choice of films for a Monday morning. Did you sleep well chas?

Eddie
    No encouraging signs at all on the transfer front

no, dead silence

I offered Raddy a deal yesterday – we win the league this season and I will swim in the Baltic sea next January. I made it too easy for him – I need to think of a forfeit for when we flop it, which is the more likely scenario…….. No booze or women for a month? Writing a post a day all summer?

124. Shard says:

Except yesterday we didn’t.

Morning all, has anyone got a few ‘feelings’ they want to share as a MR for yesterday’s game?

126. Shard says:

Rasp

I had put up my ‘feelings’ as a comment on another site. If that’s not a problem, and if there’s nothing else, I can put that here to use.

Thank you Shard, would the other site be happy for us to replicate their post on AA do you think – we have to respect honour amongst blog sites etc 🙂

128. Shard says:

Yeah, it’s 7am..I don’t think Tim would have a problem. It’s my comment anyhow 🙂

129. Shard says:

All in all a good point away to a tough stadium, and still top of the league, with the cavalry not to far away with Alexis, Coquelin, Wilshere and Rosicky set to return soon.

(that bit’s new 🙂 )

Sorry about the delay. Had to go do something.

Brilliant thanks Shard…

… New post …..

Chas/Mickey @ 7:02

Silly boys — that was the A-Bomb going Boom baba Boom in 1944.

[Just 100 years after Vesuvius was invented.] 🙂