Who’s better ….. Sanchez or Aguero?

Here we are. Top of The League, and I’m terrified.

Here’s a thing though, it’s just dawned on me how much I have in common with South Americans, and I am not only referring to the finest ever manager in top flight English football ie Ossie Ardiles.

Like all purists, the little Argie believed in a five pronged front line, and like me and that GoonerB chap, understood that goals both win games and entertain in equal measure.

Ok, so back to my fear, or Manchester City as I call the little bastard. So far, we have kept them at bay, but the other day I saw Aguero back in action and weaving his way through the centre of a defence to score a terrific individual goal.

Then I thought to myself “Man up Didit, why the fear, for we too have a south American wizard”.

alexis sergio

I’ve done some research.

Sergio: 1.73m.  Aged 27. South American dribbly shooter.

Alexis: 1.69m. Aged 27. South American dribbly shooter.

I would argue that The Arsenal have played their purest football this season with Mesut providing the ammo to a front three of Sanchez, Theo and Aaron. I have also taken on board the wise words of two AA regulars, LB and GB.

LB has implied, rightly in my book, that on occasion Alexis hangs on to the ball a little too long, and tries one too many take-ons. I agree, however, also understand that Alexis has one thing on his mind: get in on goal and shoot. I like this very much.

Then we have the wise words of GB who, again like me, reckons a right footed Theo is more effective from the left, cutting in onto that right howitzer of a shot of his.

You can already see where I’m going with this can’t you. Aguero plays through the middle, so why should I be frightened of him, when we have one of our own.

MickyDidIt89

102 Responses to Who’s better ….. Sanchez or Aguero?

sorry to muscle in on your post micky

Raddy – it is ‘A 21st Century Portrait ‘, you must have seen it! Epic, 90mins of nothing starring ZZ (who didn’t say a word) at the Barnabeau stadium, best film about footy ever!

2. Delford Magaya says:

Sanchez is more matured than Aguero, they are both quality player, but I prefer Sanchez, because of his work rate.

DidIt – what is exactly that makes you almost south American 🙂

Sergio Aguero – goals per game – 0.52
    Alexis Sanches – goals per game – 0.32

Laters.

4. TotalArsenal says:

Good stuff Micky and I can see you have not changed a bit! 🙂

When Wenger allowed RvP to go, Gazidis said it was for tactical/footballing reasons. We all snorted at this, me included, but look how less dependent we are of our main CF nowadays. Giroud is the most complete CF you could wish for and the fact that he is nota top quality finisher ala the running sausage at Man City is an advantage rather than a disadvantage. Scoring goals is now a team responsibility: we have at least three throngs rather than the one sharp javelin to kill defences. And we almost always score. Yet when Aguero is injured or has a bad day they often fail to score (enough to win).

But if Arsene wanted an Aguero type CF, you are spot on that Sanchez would fit the bill very, very well.

Morning TA, good to see you and a very perceptive analysis if I may say so 🙂

Of course Sanchez is the better player – he plays for AFC

& Sanchez has more in his game. He works harder, is a better tackler, a better passer, and he doesn’t sport an idiot’s haircut

7. TotalArsenal says:

Morning Rasp 🙂

Good to see the blog doing so well and I enjoyed reading you recent posts too.

Morning
    I wrote this before Pool game and although not strictly relevant, have developed new feelings for Theo 😀

I’ll expand on that when not on a mobile

Thanks for adding the poll although the wording in the question is terrible 😀

Thanks TA, it’s not easy as I’m sure you know only too well 🙂 but the patronage of good bloggers is reward in itself, and we can all learn something from the views of others.

Apologies Micky, I did it in a hurry, in retrospect it is rather clumsy …. my bad 😦

11. Shard says:

Alexis Sanchez baby..Alexis Sanchez woo ooaahh.

12. Shard says:

Haha.. 5 votes for Adebayor.

I voted can.t/won’t.

Chas I can’t agree with you about the youngsters but anyway I express myself better with the spoken word 😉 I challenge you to a post debating both our opinions though you have to give me a 10 point start as you physically go to games and see things I don’t and of course you are a kitten compared to me.

Sorry that I am not a cat lover having had 7 dogs all at once when we we were in Spain.

14. frank says:

I like sanchez

15. TotalArsenal says:

Agreed Rasp, it has its challenges hahaha! 🙂

I was wondering whether you have heard from 26May at all recently? Use to love his insights and football tactical challenges…

Thanks TA, no sadly we have not heard from 26May for a while now. He was one of the very best bloggers, very wise and insightful. I sat with him at a game once and was strangely comforted when he lost it and released a string of ‘old English’ at the referee.

He had a very important job and traveled extensively so maybe he’s just too busy.

The dominance of other more immediate social media is taking supporters away from the blogging – progress I suppose 🙂

17. Sulphur says:

There both good on there day and they play different positions ones a winger ones a forward but both are tuff

18. TotalArsenal says:

Hahaha, good to hear he has that side as well, Rasp. I met him once and he was a really nice guy. His match reviews were jewels on a par with Chas and LB’s. Let’s hope he is okay and indeed just too busy to blog.

Agreed re social media. But for us it is quality over quantity! 🙂

Top man TA, let me know next time you’re down for a game, I’d like to buy you a beer … or two 🙂

Thanks for the post Micky. I’ve loved watching Aguero play since he arrived at Man City but you have to love Alexis’ workrate and the fact that he plays for us. I can’t wait to see him back in the team 🙂

As to Adebayor as an alternative – surely he’s not South American 🙂 🙂 🙂

Five pronged attacks only work if you can get the ball to the final third – who’s your favourite player to carry the ball from mid-field?

Peaches …Adebayor was my little joke, nothing to do with Micky 😕

22. Hi TA – are you loving how Berkampesque Ozil is? Have you seen him live, he’s even better than on the telly 🙂

23. No? Really? My bad 😉

24. TotalArsenal says:

Will do, Rasper.

I now live in Scotland so tend to go to the ‘up north’ away games, but need to be in London for work sometimes, so will aim to buy you a few peronis as well. 🙂

TA hi
    Glad to see you haven’t changed either as this little gem proves

Still the same old wishy washy dutchy anything goes then 😀😀

What I meant by LB’s too many take ons was that by moving Alexis into the Aguero role may mean one less before the shooooot

27. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Peaches 🙂

Well done to you too for keeping this blog going so well.

Like you, I love Ozil, our Dennis of this decade. Such awareness and appreciation of space and always thinking two seconds ahead of others, and then there is his technical ability…

On top of that there is his influence on others… Like on Wednesday when Joel produced a few Ozilesque through balls, or at the weekend when Bellerin produced some geometrically brilliant assists.

Let’s hope we can keep him at the home of football.

TA. Lovely to see your gravatar. Love the “running sausage” 😀

29. TotalArsenal says:

Hahaha Micky, you know me too well. 🙂

I think Wenger will try out a Giroud/pivot-less attack more regularly, so you might get your wish after all. But for the remainder of the season he is likely to stick to safe hands.

30. TotalArsenal says:

Hey Raddy,

I enjoy reading your previews and well done for doing them every season. I miss the famous person angle though. 🙂

Are you still spreading yourself between Denmark and Italy?

While we’re on the best subject in football ie the attack

THEO

I think he’s just really pissed off with being shunted out wide again

32. Micky – I have to say that while I agree that Theo could have taken umbrage to being played out wide earlier in his career (ie last season 🙂 ) he must surely see that he can’t do the job that Giroud does anywhere near as well as the FP.

Someone said that Theo will probably be benched when Alexis is back in the squad but I think he should fight for a starters perch by making himself undroppable by scoring when he plays on the wing and not being pissed off.

Peaches
    I do sort of agree and right now I’d certainly pick Joel over him for the right berth once Alexis returns on the left
    I do think theo tried harder in the middle which o know is a bad trait

Also even I think right now Ollie is unstoppable

However I will continue to try and crowbar in a purists front line 😀

That was me peaches, I just see Campbell as more effective defensively and offensively. As you know, I am a Theo fan, but the team comes first.

GiE made a good point earlier about playing with his head up. I’d stick with Theo and try to help him realise his potential, but the closer we get to the end of the season, and hopefull the title, the more important it will be to field our in-form players and currently I’d place Campbell ahead of Theo.

Bloody Apple mobile device

Unstoppable was undroppable

Cheers Micky

Sanchez is much better than Aquero mate. I have studied Aquero closely and he plays with a guilty grin. Why? Because essentially hes a goal hanger and we all know about those. In real life there quiet so some people mistakenly believe there a nice guy, were as the truth is they are snidey individuals who during a nuclear attack will invite you and the Mrs into there shelter only to lock the door once the wife is inside, locking you out.

Whilst Aquero is scoring goals with the Mrs, your outside melting away form radiation poisoning. The only consolation is that after a while you wont give a shit because radiation will have melted your extremities

TA? Top man. I will nip over to Bergkampesue for a chat

Thank you Mr Didit. Interesting question. I am going for our Alexis, although you would have both if allowed.

Going off on a temporary tangent from your post theme, I am interested to hear about your new feelings on Theo Micky and what they are. Mine haven’t changed really, even with his slightly off performance the other night. Theo is one of our (seemingly many) players that is adaptable to many roles.

I am not so sure that this helps these players, as although, they can cover these areas which provides more strength in depth I don’t always think it brings out their best individual performances, if they are playing in a position that doesn’t showcase their skill set.

Weirdly it seems to be mainly the British contingent who get shunted around and play in positions that aren’t necessarily their best ones. The question could be asked of what is the best position for all of Theo, AOC, Ramsey, and Wilshere? Maybe that should be a topic for a post next week.

Each of these players have played in at least 3 different positions and not even as a one offbut fairly regularly. In some cases I can count 4 positions, and in Jack’s case I think 5.

It is good to have a certain level of adaptable cover and Arsene seems to like this multi-functional player but I wonder whether we take it too far and we are stunting certain players development by creating too many Jack of all trades master of none.

I think in the case of the Ox this may be true and as some have mentioned he is trying too hard or forcing his game because he is not played often enough in his best role which would allow him to play and express himself freely.

I feel we are in a slightly dangerous period in regard to these players with many fans feeling they wouldn’t be too bothered if they saw the back of them. I have a feeling that we would see them thrive elsewhere and the belated realisation would be gut wrenching.

Accruing too many similar players, having too many multi-adaptable players, and as a result playing players in a position which is not their best is an Achilles heel of Arsene’s IMO.

Back to Sanchez though Micky. I like him from the left cutting in. Could he be the big answer in the strikers role? The worldy striker we haven’t had since TH14 (and possibly RVP for a brief 12 months)?

Part of me feels he would seek to come too deep at times in search of action and wouldn’t be happy playing higher up. The striker often has to let the others do much of the work and be ready to explode at certain instances. Could Sanchez discipline himself to this and stay higher (for the majority), or will his patience get the better of him and he will come deep too often and imbalance the set up?

We may have to try it a few times to find out but his many similarities to Aguero would suggest it could work.

38. Wow GB how long have you been holding onto all of that 😃

Great comment, could be three posts there 😉

Sorry Micky et al. That comment was typed over 1 hour in 8 visits with lots of distractions and phone calls between. Your 11.06 Micky is what I was thinking and intimating. Your nut shell analysis though is far better than my war and peace one, as I am sure Chas will agree when he wakes up from having dropped off reading my 11.41 comment 🙂

Peaches I intimated a while back that I may not be on so much. I think it was construed as me departing but I didn’t mean it like that. I have had less time on my hands recently and sometimes I feel the footy topic has passed me by once I get on so refrain from saying stuff. When I can hit the right time to say things I will. Got some lovely controversial stuff up my sleeve 🙂

41. Much as I respect your views GB I can’t see Arsene wanting Alexis to play more as a goal hanger it’s just not the Arsenal way and I don’t think Alexis would enjoy playing like that.

GB
    Brilliant comment
    I’m still on mobile so will chat later
    Ps I never asked the question Aguero or Sanchez
    Rasp changed the title to fit a poll
    No problem though

I agree Peaches, kind of what I was saying, the bit about him looking to come deep to find the action.

However…….another comparison could be made that could change the outlook. Should we compare Alexis to Aguero, or is he more of a Suarez in his style, commitment and work rate.

I think the top modern striker now is a mobile one that harasses defenders and does more running than in times past. Suarez is possibly the best out there now and he not only runs a lot to close down defenders but he runs and moves a lot to find space to show for defenders and midfielders.

My big criticism of Theo when he played striker is that he didn’t provide enough movement to show for those midfielders and defenders when we had been defending. He would get busy moving and showing when we were in attack but not when we had been defending. He didn’t give the option of a good “out ball” enough.

Suarez does and I think Sanchez would as well, so if we could hold him back from dropping deep too often and use his energy and work-rate in that other way we may have a Suarez staring us in the face.

And then we could move AOC, (who also shows great energy pace and work-rate, and has a thunderbolt right foot), to his best position on the left to replace Sanchez there whereupon he will quickly start scoring and then not stop scoring, regularly providing 20+ goals a season and develop into that worldy we know is in there and quash all nonsense about selling him 🙂

GB
    Last para 12.02
    Hooray exactly my point 😀😀

46. fatgingergooner says:

Aguero is the better finisher, Sanchez is the better everything else.

Agreed FGG….but Aguero is playing as a central striker not as a goal scoring winger. I have difficulty comparing 2 players unless they are playing an identical role. Aguero spends more times in goal scoring positions and will as such have more opportunity to score goals. The more goals scored the more polished and clinical at finishing that player becomes. We wouldn’t know Sanchez true clinical ability unless we move him there for a while.

Am off for a bit now. Catch up later.

49. RC78 says:

Now – if we had Aguero in our front three with Walcott, Aguero, Sanchez – I think that Ozil would just double his tally of assists…

Aguero is the better Center Forward but Alexis is the better winger.

Alexis is maybe more versatile but Aguero is more clinical so all and all, they are just two excellent players and I would be keen to have Aguero in our team…

When Sanchez comes back to the team, AW is going to have difficult choices to make:

A) If we keep Walcott, Giroud, Sanchez,
    – can we play Sanchez on the right and Walcott on the left?
    – or do we keep Sanchez on the left and shift Walcott back to the right?

B) If Sanchez is given the left flank,
    – do we play Campbell on the right ahead of Walcott?
    – If so, does Walcott get to CF or do we keep OG at our CF?

C) When Santi comes back,
    – where does he play?

Anyways…good headaches to have

50. RC78 says:

And valid point about comparing Sanchez and Suarez

I look at Barcelona’s attack and it is indeed going to be hard to stop them. We are in for a thrashing home and away esp. if we defend like we did vs Liverpool

MSN is definitely better than the BBC and better than our front three

51. RC78 says:

At the end of the season, we are going to have some tough choices regarding Oxlade and Campbell and Wellbeck eventually Walcott.

I would even add Santi but Micky will not be happy about it…

Lovely post, excellent comments and great to see TA, Delford Magaya, frank and Sulphur making such good sense. 🙂

GoonerB
    I love your comments, especially the ones that make sense –
    i.e. all of them.

I can’t see Alexis wanting to be restricted to a striker-only role.
    Theo would snap your hand off if offered the same. No more chasing back, just a bit of poncing around like Giroud does. 🙂
    The Ox has to be able to play wherever he’s asked to. He isn’t a one-trick pony and has the skills to play anywhere. Just needs a haircut.

Kolo Toure was a midfielder
    Ashley Cole a winger
    Thierry Henry a winger
    Lauren a winger
    Ray Parlour a gigolo
    Peter Storey a full back
    Frank McClintock a midfielder
    Lee Chapman a goalkeeper

Wenger turned them all into experts in a new position.

53. RC78 says:

Would you recruit any of the of the Belgium CBs at Tottenham to join us?

RC. Alderweireld (sp) looks a fine player. Verts wanted to come but AW didn’t like his attitude (according to the media). but I much prefer our two with Gabriel and Chambers to come through over the coming seasons.

GB. 11.41 Great comment

Pizza Parlour a gigolo 😀

57. RC78 says:

BR – It is just that BFG is a liability 10 games a season and Kos has 5 off games a season and that is just too much…

We need an instant upgrade from BFG…Both Belgian CBs are having fine seasons so I thought we could repeat the Campbell experience with one of them…Verthongen is more of a leader so I would try to snatch him

what was the new position for Ray Parlour? a Kuma sutra style one?

Halfway through the JTW and all we have signed is a cheap Egyptian.

Come on you slackers in the Purchasing Dept. Get out there and spend some proper money.

Apparently he is deeply religious,Raddy. Check it out and you will see what I mean.

Ahhh sigh, the trusty laptop keyboard 🙂

Ok, so who is deeply religious? Pizza Parlour, The Egyptian or the Purchasing Dept.?

Talk to me, like lovers do

serious lovers don’t chat shit.

I guess is the religious Egyptian, seriously bad news if true. Never met a decent human being who is religious

Mesut is religious

ok, Mesut is an exception, proves my rule.

You is religious, Eddie.
    Are you saying you’re not a decent human being?
    I’d say you were.

Oooo sorry, didn’t know anyone was there, so went viola 🙂

I am not religious!!! And I am not decent. A Catholic with 3 ex husbands 🙂 🙂 Spiritual is good, religious is bad.

I guess that makes you an angel 🙂

I am joking though, I couldn’t care less about anybody’s religion as long as they can help us to win the league. I’d shake hands with a devil to seal the deal

I’m religious
    A deeply hard core Christian fundamentalist agnostic with all the trimmings bells and smells

In Elneny’s interview on AFC.com he said we’d win the treble, ‘god willing’.
    I like him.

what are the smells?

White Company Darling

micky – exactly! you is religious and bad.
    Did Elneny say ‘Inshallah’? I use it myself, my Pakistani friends tought me that

My wife is like a bloody moth around the wretched things

Still, cheap to please her 🙂

My favourite Catholic memories are at Benediction on a Friday with the sunlight coming through the high church windows lighting up the incense from the thurifer. Closest I got to seeing god.

cheap???? Candles from The White Company are £50 each!!!

Highbury 3:00pm 2003 was the closest I got
    Front row

No idea, Eddie, I was looking at the subtitles.

Eddie Dear
    It’s relative to the size of hole you’re in 🙂

Never heard of the White Company. Ignorant is what I am.

Hang on, I think they’re about 25 quid not 50

Yep, god was at Highbury in 2003, for sure. 🙂

Hope talking about scented candles is okayer than cat vids 🙄

god don’t like cat vids

Back to practice for me

chas – neither did I. My daughter-in-law loves it , so I had to learn quickly. No micky, the large, flat orange grove smelling one is £50. It does smell lovely though

Mrs R thinks scented candles makes houses smell like bordellos, though how she knows what a bordello smells like is a mystery she cannot/will not answer.

If Theo came to me (and I was Arsene Wenger) and said “Gaffer I want to be a centre forward I can’t score goals or look as good out wide” I would point him in the direction of a few vids of Barca where miraculously Suarez and Neymar can play together in a front three with Messi all scoring goals for fun. And then show him the door and suggest if he wants to play shut up and do the job you’re asked when I ask of it.

Back to main thrust of the post yes Sanchez and Aguero have a lot of similarities, tough, stay on feet, good balance, and can shoot to score.

i do think that Aguero is slightly better back to goal than Alexis, and because they have a bit more strength to control middle of park physically they can release Aguero from more advanced positions by forcing their way up the pitch. Whereas we need the platform that Ollie provides to bring midfielders into the game. But that then suits our wide boys running towards goal to receive ball from Ozil in space left by Ollie.

Sorry, everyone.

chas 7.40. Deeply unsettling. A faceless cat.

good comment GiE! I have my own take on Theo – he learnt to be a footballer, he took lessons from TH14 and the traitor, but deep down he wasn’t born with a football at his feet. Or like the Egyptian didn’t go to bed with a ball. He is an artisan, but not an artist like say Mezut

funny cat, all eyes 🙂

this is a great story – a croc bit a woman’s arm off, was eventually found and killed, the arm recovered from his stomach and attached back to the woman’s body. She is doing well!!!!!!

Slider?

94. chas mobile says:

Banned

It has it’s good moments Eddie

None more so than annoying the likes of Crystals 🙂

doesn’t take much to annoy the Hairy One 🙂

I can see Totts, Chavs and City drawing today. Not sure why I am even concerned about Chavs, who set their objective at ending in the top 4, ha ha bloody ha

Too much footie talk for my liking. I am going for a walk to the local lakes, which are frozen over, hoping to see a sliding dog.

98. chas mobile says:

😆

Morning all, fantastic days blogging yesterday 🙂

We don’t have to publish a post today but if anyone has a few lines then all the better 🙂

…. New post ……