Gabriel to Continue?

Mclaren must be worried, so worried his New Year was ruined. Why else state before the game that Newcastle are going to play a “physical” game?

What triggers his fears? That a team missing some of it’s most important players is Top of the League through playing attacking, passing football – we don’t need to resort to the Dark Arts to win, though it must be said I wish we had a few lads who can “mix-it”. A properly rounded team needs a Bouldie/Keown/PV4. All our title winning teams have had one hard man all the way back to Peter Storey and Iain Ure.

The Toon Army have lost their way over the past few years; long gone are the days of SuperMac, Keegan and Beardsley and Shearer. Now they are reduced to the relegation zone having a -15 GD and scoring just 19 goals. No wonder The Wally with the Brolly talks about fight.

Unknown

I am looking for a victory today which would give us 9 points out of 12 for the Xmas period and allow us to keep Rasp’s fine header.

Rotation? Will the 4 who missed the win over B’mouth return to the team? Will OG get a rest? Or BFG? I expect so.

If Debuchy doesn’t start today I think we can wave him Goodbye.

A random thought about Sanchez. Do you remember when Lord Dennis used to go missing around Xmas season after season with mystery injuries? I know for a fact that he was at his ski chalet in Austria and not recuperating at Arsenal. Could Sanchez be taking a winter break? Makes sense to me.

We had a brilliant 2015 the highlight of which was an absolutely outstanding performance at Wembley and we start 2016 at the top of the podium, hopefully we will remain there

Let it be so…..

COYRRG

108 Responses to Gabriel to Continue?

What, no comments, has everyone gone off of football?

Interesting idea that you ask the question: “Could Sanchez be on a winter break?” Probably, yes, but I think that it is more likely that he has been sent on an extended break back to Chile rather than taking to a bit of RR in the Austrian alps because, well, the snow is good.

What I am saying is that I expect him back next week bronzed and rested and ready for a bit of a warm up against Sunderland before the big push towards silverware.

2. Gunner Smith says:

He shd play in place the german.Onemore thing.\
    Expect a physical game with crunching tackles like the Saints game.

Bon apres midi BR et LB

I know I’m not as senile as Crystals, but is Sanchez actually, technically properly broken, or are you both right as I suspect. I could swear Arsene mentioned something about Alexis together with words Winter Break

4. dean0002 says:

Hi,

Thanks for this post. I think the answer to who we have that can “mix it” is at the top of the page: despite the slight build, we’ve seen already that Gabriel is no push over! The Ox can also be a bit ‘cynical’ if he sees the need?

You ask “Will OG get a rest? Or BFG? ” I think Gunner Smith has a point about Mesut, but we really don’t have anyone for him to rotate with.

6. Happy New Year Boys and Girls.. 🙂

And Didit, I do not go down the stairs like that doggy, not even when I legless.

A three pointer today… stay top. end!

7. dean0002 says:

… rotating Ozil options?

We’re playing a team with not too many answers today? I think Ramsay could cover with the Ox and Chambers behind him.

Actually Dean, I had considered trying The Ox as a thrird rate No 10, after all he’s turning out to be pretty hopeless anywhere else

Was the party un triomphe NB?

Ok
    Back out for another spell of destroying stuff

11. JM says:

Starting squad just announced:

Cech; Bellein, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal; Flamini, Ramsey; The Ox, Ozil, Walcott; Giroud

Bench:
    Ospina, Gabriel, Gibbs, Chambers, Campbell, Iwobi, Reine-Adelaide

No Debuchy … seems on his way out.

Interesting line up…..FA Cup next Saturday night be different!

Holding Alexisback until a run of tougher fixtures makes perfect sense, a fully fit Alexis returning to the side would do a lot for team morale one suspects, well apart from whoever is left out.

Even three of our injured available would make our bench a lot more worrying to opposition, maybe that’s why McLaren has been talking up physicality, lose a few and we look thin. If we had Santi, Alexis and Welbeck sitting on the bench they may take a slightly more subtle approach.

Never mind about Sanchez today.I want a good performance and at least 3 goals. If only The Ox could get his act together but then maybe he’s getting senile as Micky would say.

The team is fine but watch Flamini, as it was his groin not ankle that was injured.

15. Micky

It was a huge success, the downside was the best looking bird was my ex wife.

The team line up looks ok…. looks as if the Boosh is on his way out the door, can’t blame him, he needs regular playing time.

16. Big raddy says:

Good team, best we have available

Thanks BR

I hate it when managers urge their teams to be physical against us, because it often ends with one of our players broken.

Team looks solid. I’m glad we’re starting with the BFG. Gabriel is undoubtedly the future, but right now Merts is our best defender.

I’ve been very concerned about the Ox this season but in the Bournemouth game he showed signs that he might be getting his mojo back.

I always emember barton being a sub for newcastle and within a minute of coming on went straight for nasri’s ankles.

Raddy thanks again for your 4201st post 🙂

RL. Just what I think. Another 90 minutes should help the Ox.

Kelsey. It’s a dirty job but someone has to do it

NB. Great to hear your party went well. I was due to be musical entertainment (??) at a party but was struck down by manflu which I still have

BR
    I reckon he got today’s start because of the Bournemouth game. If he’d been pants in that match we probably would have started with Campbell today.

As for players who can mix it, he may not be a Keown or a Storey, but Flamini is not afraid to leave his boot in as required…

True but Flimsier is hardly menacing. The earlier suggestion of Gabriel is good – the man has both aggressive potential and a Cro-Magnum jaw

Flimsier 😀 Bloody spellcheck

Flimsier was perfect in the context! 🙂

Come on you Gunners

After that,take the Ox off and put on Campbell 😉

Rocky. Did the Smoking Joe satisfy?

Who is the plum co-commentating?

Anyone else fancy sneaking out for an early Bovril?

30. That was a poor first half… letting Newcastle get back into the game. Need better for the next 45 mins

Not often a team gets worse by the minute but we did in that half.

Hopefully Newcastle will tire.

32. i like my new approach to Saturday games, don’t bother trying to find a stream, get on with other stuff and hope for a good result while occasionally checking in, sounds dull as ditchwater all over the PL judging by the Soccer Saturday boys.

Exile
    We are utter rubbish

First 10 minutes all over them but air shots or missed shots instead of that vital early goal and then as is often the case the opposition grows in confidence.Still think we will win though Rambo and The Ox continue to disappoint and Theo needs to make his mark on the game.

BR
    The Smokin’ Joe looked spectacular and tasted not bad (maybe overdid the mezcal).

Someone was taking pics so I’ll try and get a copy…

I feel sorry for Ozil, he spent the last 30 minutes encouraging his team mates to press the Toon players but his urgings fell on deaf ears.

Hopefully a rocket from the manager at half time and a much improved performance to come.

37. You cannot believe the weather here …….. I’m sure we’ll score 😉

Rocky

it shows you how Ozil is by far our best player but does he miss Sanchez ?

Oh God, here we go.
    Another 45 long minutes

Early goal would change that

40. ffs our defence is all over the place… Newcastle should be two up

ffs that’s two clear chances in 2 minutes to the geordies

42. Is today the day when our season falls apart???

43. fatgingergooner says:

Struggling by the sounds of it. Need 3 points today.

The annoying thing is after a poor first half to start the second half the way we have done is unacceptable for a team top of the league.A bit more hunger and desire needed.

Surely this is a game to bring on subs earlier? How about something daring like giving Jeff a go?

We are stupidly inconsistent

A lott of players are playing pretty poorly today and where is the midfield ?

This is a poor performance so far. Could the dreadful weather be affecting the players – the pitch is waterlogged and affects passing on the ground?

Don’t think we have had a shot on target yet

49. Fank feck for that…

It was always going to be just a matter of time 🙂

Phewey

Don’t worry he will take off Ozil and put on Gibbs trying to hold on instead of going for the second, but I hope I am wrong.

53. Poor game…. significant win, games like that win the title

NB
    Bang on
    Very painful to watch, but essential three points

55. fatgingergooner says:

Cracking result. Don’t really care how we played aslong as it improves next week. PL champions usually have a knack of grinding out results and that’s something we have improved on in the last year or so.

Hopefully Watford can do us a favour now and take points off City.

Magnificent victory.

Poor game, poor ref, but nevertheless a nervous three points.Surely to win this league which we can we have to buy ASAP.

I thought no one bar Ozil played really well.
    One can’t blame the weather,it was the same for both sides and undoubtedly newcastle had far more real chances than us.

It shows how tight the league is this year.

On the evidence of the last few games Campbell has to start before the Ox who generally was extremely wayward especially with his lofted passes and crosses.

Cech definitely proved his worth today,he reads the game so well. Not a game that will live long in the memory except for the points.

Raddy which game were you watching.Magnificent ffs 🙂

kelsey it was irony 🙂

You are right it was a poor performance but who cares, we were superb against MU and got the same number of points.

Ramsey has a ridiculous amount of energy but had an average game.

Koscielny superb as always

1-0 is 1-0 is 3 points, Leicester dropped points at home, over to Man City and Spuds to try and keep up during rest of weekend, neither with particularly easy games. Week and a half until a trip to Anfield and a wounded Liverpool, be good to release Alexis on that one.

We were pretty poor but at least we got the points.

The only players from the starting 11 I would single out for praise are Kozzer, Flamini, Cech and Ozil. All the others struggled to greater or lesser degrees.

Unfortunately the small green shoots of recovery that Oxo showed against Bournemouth turned into week-old sprouts today. There’s no way he should start ahead of Campbell at the moment.

The biggest issue was midfield. I love Ramsey so much, but we just don’t seem to control MF when he plays centrally.

62. Le Coq Monster says:

Play shite and lose is unforgivable……..play shite and win is what champs are made of !.
    Next two league games, Liverpool and Stokalona away, I`d bite your hand off now for 4 points !

63. Rubbish game ……… Fantastic result 😃

I was impressed with Sissoko and if he were a few years younger he would be a fine addition

LCM. So would Wenger and all the rest of Goonerdom

BR and Coq – you Doomers!

It’s got to be 6 points.

67. Le Coq Monster says:

Biggy !….I was bigging up Sissoko the other week, saying he reminded me of a PV4 type player and he`s not too old at 26 !.

68. Le Coq Monster says:

I think he would be an upgrade on Flimsie ! 😀 and loves Arsenal too !

“Arsenal were my favourite club when I was young and my idol was Patrick Vieira,” he said.
    Sissoko wants to play in the Champions League
    “I have always loved this club and I still love them”.

69. I agree with Rocky, our inconsistency is not to be trusted, 6 points it is 😉

70. Le Coq Monster says:

Great that our nearest rivals dropped 2 points !………………..We hate Leicester and we hate Leicester…..we are the Leicester haters !.

71. Not happy about Flamini’s new name, it was treacherous out there today and I reckon the players were protecting their bones as much as possible.

72. Le Coq Monster says:

How does Peaches comment @5:51pm come before my 5:41pm comment ?

I feel really sorry for The Ox right now. He used to be such a smiley footballer, rather like Wrighty, savouring and enjoying every moment.

Today, he looked utterly miserable. Sad.

V City Ramsey/Flamini
    V Southampton Ramsey/Flamini
    V Bournemouth Ramsey/Chambers
    V Toon Ramsey/Flamini

It seems to me out of those 4 games Ramsey showed most discipline against City, none at Southampton, more v Bournemouth and by all accounts not around today.

It could be instructions based (ie Aaron we need you to do a job today, hold here do the simple things and get forward if you can vs Aaron today do what you like it’s only “X”. ) or more likely it is in his own head why do I think that? Because Santi very rarely leaves the centre of the park unless good opportunities arise, and whilst that is the case Santi will be the preferred option until Ramsey realises it.

A good comparison situation would be Gibbs and Monreal. Monreal has made that shirt his own because he recognises when to join in and when not, Gibbs never seemed to be able to anticipate danger or appreciate the teams shape in the same way that Nacho does.

Not sure whether that tells us anything about coaching methods in respective countries or just better footballing know how.

Cockie
    Simple explanation. You’re in Cornwall, Peaches is at the epicentre.
    Things just take a while longer for the Cornish 🙂

76. Le Coq Monster says:

Hahaha ….True Micky !……………..They even have a different word for time down here called….Dreckly !.

I have something for tomorrow if needed. Not much but better than nothing as they say.

So City coming back from 1 down according to reports is the stuff of champions, whereas a spawny 1-0 win at home shows nervousness again according to reports.

I’ll take another 18 nervy 1-0’s thanks.

Let’s be honest Chavs had their fair share of lucky results last season, there was a run of four or five matches where goalkeeping lunacy and fluky finishes got them points to secure the title.

9 from 12 in two weeks isn’t perfect but considering how Boxing Day went I’d say the team have ground out two much needed wins in whatever way they could. And that’s all they can do. Hopefully when the cavalry (sick bay) arrives this time it won’t be replacing more injuries as the last lot returning did.

Assuming we want to have a rack at the FA Cup anyone care to pick an eleven for Sunderland….considering Liverpool away four days later?

Ospina, Debuchy, Gabriel, ?, Gibbs

That’s as far as I can get.

Post in drafts ready to go.

Where is everyone?

Oh, just realised, watching the game on telly, you will notice that I am not putting myself through that again.

Great, thanks LB 🙂

Thanks for the pre-match, BR.

Love the idea of Sanchez coming back tanned, revved up and ready to blow the Preimier League apart.

Pretty unappealing fare on offer at the Ems today but I can still make a sumptuous banquet out of the 3 points.
    Great to sit with Harry who kept willing us to victory, as all good fans do.
    Shocking, shocking weather today. Newcastle coped better with the dire conditions. The referee was just appaling, but failed to gift the barcodes a goal – he must be gutted.

82. RC78 says:

Few words for this performance: “Thank God for Cech!”

My goodness – our team looks jaded! Even our more industrious players look tired (Kos, Monreal, Ramsey, Giroud) so it is nice to see them have a break for 10 days – recharge the batteries and hopefully by mid February, we will have Wilshere back..

In any case – Wenger to finalise Elneny this week and keeping an eye on Nolito as well so let s see if we manage to get some players in that add a real plus..also if Debs leave, there is a chance to recall jenkinson

83. RC78 says:

Ox and Gibbs better step up to the plate
    Ramsey better keep disciplined
    Walcott needs to also be more decisive

As of Sissoko – quality player and would be a fine addition as he can play DM, M and AMR

84. fatgingergooner says:

After a terrible November we’ve gone 6 wins and 1 defeat with very little rotation and a lot of fixtures close to each other. I think that’s pretty impressive, espescially from players like Giroud, Campbell and Flamini who have stepped up to the plate in the last month.

Now it’s up to Wenger to bring in some fresh blood and hopefully get a player or 2 back in time for Liverpool away and a tough run of fixtures after that.

Top of the league and still a lot of room for improvement in this squad. What’s not to like!

85. fatgingergooner says:

Oh, and Cech 👏

He must be getting close to that 12-15 point tally he’s supposed to be giving us!

86. Morning Raddy, where is everyone, have we seen all the cat videos?

TOTL feels pretty nice on a Sunday morning 😃

Thinking the same myself Peaches.

Perhaps the team’s performance drugged the early risers

Morning 🙂

89. Cech is pretty amazing, he plucked the ball out of the air from some impossible looking angles. Really clever

I think Chavs are very lucky that there are two awful teams in PL this season (Villa and Sunderland), otherwise they would be battling with a lot of clubs to be clear from relegation fight. But yesterday’s results and Toons improvement means they are not out of the woods yet. Come on Palace!!

Peaches, what is Flamini’s new name?

92. It was a typo/auto correct yesterday LB, Flimsie

93. Good morning doomers 🙂

Flaminis’ new name is Flimsy I think ha ha

Theres a new post up the GunnersoreArse… http://wp.me/p4FeF9-xm

Following on from the question as to who is likely to play next week, Ospina, Debouchy, Gabriel, Gibbs were put forward.

My thought is that Wenger will play very much the opposite to a CoC team and more like a full strength number. I fully expect Ozil and Sanchez to start perhaps subbing either or both if we are sufficiently ahead after 70 minutes.

LB. His name got spell checked to Flimsie 🙂

96. Le Coq Monster says:

January 3rd and we haven`t bought anyone yet !….disgracefull !…..we need some juicy rumours like this !

97. Le Coq Monster says:

98. Le Coq Monster says:

99. Le Coq Monster says:

100. Le Coq Monster says:

Hull has been voted as being one of the top 10 cities in Europe the day there was a shooting outside macDonalds in the town centre.(This morning’s news) 🙂

Come on you Eagles

Come on you toffees

102. Have you ever been the Kels…. it’s a hole!

Just done a world record nine hours sleep, and frankly my darlings, I feel fabulous 🙂

104. New Post everyone ……………………