Injuries Hurt!

One has to wonder if Arsenal have yet come to grips with these continuing cycles of injury that besets our players.

I suppose that one first needs to analyse the causes of the injuries.

It is obvious that some injuries are out and out thuggery by an opposition player, such as has happened to About Diaby and Rambo, for example.

Others may be a result of a genetic imbalance that makes some players inherit brittle bones, or ligaments that fail more easily than perhaps is normal in professional sport.

Then again, the warm up and warm down process before and after a game or when coming off the bench should be straight forward to apply and in most cases does not cause most players a problem.

The style or nature of some players needs to be taken into account as well, and it seems obvious that a ‘big engined’ non-stop, physically aggressive player is likely to suffer injuries more often than a laid back, skilful player who makes the ball do the work for him.

It seems obvious that there is nothing the club physios can do about the occasional bursts of thuggery that can be bad enough that it can cripple a player’s career, as it has done for Diaby and Eduardo and nearly put paid to Rambo too.

The same is also true of players who have been born with a genetic condition or predisposition to be more easily injured, which can only be medically ameliorated rather than cured.
It might be worth the club considering investigating a player’s family history in that respect before extending contracts, as paying someone to sit on the injured roster for months or even years is not helping the club or its devoted followers, altho that action does have moral and human rights significance, but in any event there is little the club can do about it.

The warm up and muscle conditioning process may need to be tailored to suit individual players, as Theo, for example, seems to be extraordinarily prone to apparently self-inflicted injury, as does the Ox, and Tomas R.

Overall it has to be recognised that football is a physical game and injuries are bound to happen whatever precautions are taken, and to help counter that the club needs the very best facilities to sped up recovery, and, as I write, new facilities are in the process of being built.

Contiguous with that, it is essential that the very best physios are retained to put in place the very best medical knowledge and apply the very best treatment, and again I think the Arsenal’s physios are among the best.

Let’s face it – injuries are buggers and when they occur, and however long the player is out is not simply a question of a mathematical calculation – there are many factors involved including the player’s age, physique, style of play and genetic disposition, so we just need to suck it up when an injury occurs and realise it is in no one’s interest for a talented player to be sitting on his ass getting paid big bucks and that everything that can be done has or is being done and to cut back on the criticism of the club for not handling it.

In my opinion – of course. 😀

Red Arse … RA…. Redders

57 Responses to Injuries Hurt!

Wow I awaken to find a post from RA gracing the pages of AA and they are always a treat to read.

RA it’s obvious to us all that we are among the clubs who suffer the highest injury rates. When I played, back in the day dot, the local pitches were either a muddy quagmire or a very dry, uneven and dangerous surface – many times we had to clean the cow dung up before we could even play. With those types of conditions injuries were a common place occurrence so in order to compete in we had to play through injuries.

Today’s players are protected by the medical teams to ensure that they are fully fit before they return, which in turn means that simple strains or pulls end up keeping players out for weeks at a time instead of days.

Our team are smaller and quicker that most and my belief is that more injuries can occur at high speed as the player is not on guard against a tackle. If any of our bloggers has some knowledge of muscle tears etc; I would like to hear an opinion on whether muscles can be damaged more easily when a player is running at full speed and gets a knock on the muscle?

Thank you for the post RA, as usual you have broached a tricky subject without being in any way accusatory.

2. ‘afternoon all, well Redders and GN5 anyway.

I read recently that the composite pitches that most top level games are played on could be a factor in the increased number of injuries occurring in these games.

Apparently the mixture of natural grass and artificial fibres, while actually improving the playability of the surface, does in fact decrease the amount of give in the picth and so increase the amount of shock the body suffers when running and jumping. This can of course increase the number of injuries suffered.

Incidently, it’s not only Arsenal that suffers injury woes, The England squad was short of around fifteen players who may otherwise have been called up.

It’s not only the Arsenal that have injury issues United are also in a pickle.

Martial adds to a growing injury list at Old Trafford which now comprises of eight players, with Luke Shaw, Paddy McNair, Antonio Valencia, James Wilson, Marouane Fellaini and Michael Carrick all sidelined, while Chris Smalling picked up a knock for England at the weekend but should be fit to face the Hornets.

Latest PL injury list.

15 Leicester City 2
    16 Norwich City 2
    17 Sunderland 2
    18 Watford 2
    19 West Bromwich Albion 2
    20 Swansea City 0

5. Mind you, four of the fifteen were Arsenal players, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Welbeck and Wilshire.

Norfolk,

The NFL games are all played on synthetic grass pitches and it seems that there are not as many soft tissue injuries as those experienced by PL teams – most of the NFL injuries are typically due to contact.

7. GN5, I take your point but surely Grid Iron is a lot less dynamic than Soccer, the game is played in very short bursts with the various “teams”, defence, offence and special all rotating in and out of the game. No one is expected to be continuously in action for ninety minutes at a stretch.

That’s true NG but the NFL is played in the winter months and the players muscles stiffen up when they are off of the pitch and depending on the length of an offensive series of play that could be anywhere from a short few moments to a lengthy period.

The PL is also played in some winter months but being on the pitch continuously keeps the muscles stretched and warm.

RA, my apologies I seem to have a way of killing the blog.

Hello, Boys, 😉

Thank you once again GN5 – you are always supportive.

You have been on AA for a long time now and will know that I do not like writing Posts – but Lucky aka the Rasper has become sneaky and asks for something to get the conversation flowing for a while.

I say sneaky – because I think he has worked out that I do not mind writing an extended comment, as it only takes a few minutes – but, of course during this darned inter-lul it is difficult to think of subject that might interest AAers, if only for a minute. 🙂

You are, as usual, on the money, GN5, in that the multi-millionaire players of today will not risk their careers by playing through an injury, as you and many others have done playing for their pub teams or local amateur clubs and turning out wind or shine, carrying an injury or not.

I read recently about a Manure player who astounded Roy Keane and Neville by saying he had a strain, and when they expressed their amazement at him missing a ‘big’ game said he had to think of his family’s future – and put bread on the table.

Utter bollocks, of course, but it shows that there are those who are faint hearts, and are simply well paid mercenaries, and then there are those who care – sometimes there are players who care too much and want to play come what may, and then suffer a set back, which can make things much worse.

On the descant side, most clubs do not want to risk a valuable asset who would be worth millions on the transfer market, and become over-protective of the players in question.

Complex management required.

GN5,

You certainly are not responsible for the blog being quiet, al the moment all the footie blogs experience dips during the international weeks, and to be candid the dreadful events in Paris does make one stop and realise that football is only a game after all .

As a general point, I try to fit in a blog presence, although things are tricky for me at the moment, and a bit like the oil producers I try and increase my input when others are unable or unwilling to comment – not that I blame anyone for that.

The upshot is that I often spend time blogging to myself for extended periods of time.

Not this afternoon tho’ as I have yet another dreaded appointment with a little cuddly nurse with a big scary syringe. 🙂

Back shortly – I hope.

RA, I hadn’t thought about sell on value but it makes a lot of sense for a club to protect it’s assets – football has really become more of a business than a sport. Sign of the times I guess.

It yells out for the need to have larger squads to cover for injuries – but that would just become another advantage for the super rich clubs.

Good luck at your appointment RA I hope she is especially kind to you today. I’ve had more medical appointments in the last 4 years than I had in all of my previous time on this planet – old age certainly gets one down…………..

Hi Redders, thanks for falling into my trap again 😀

Statistically, when viewed across more than one season, Arsenal do suffer a higher number of (or maybe longer lasting – or both?) injuries than most EPL clubs.

There has to be a reason(s). It will be a combination of the factors you list in the post – none of us can know for sure.

I’m just happy that the club have acknowledger the problem and are bringing in measures in an attempt to improve the situation.

Cheers for more sterling work, RA.

Looking at the current Injury League table, maybe the efforts to solve the injury mystery are starting to reap some rewards.

We’re only 4th and would usually be romping away with it. 🙂

Then again, maybe it’s just that poor old Abou leaving that’s helped.

Cheers Redders, a great cranial vivifier, as you may say 🙂

I think you have probably hit the nail on the head that our recent historic injury problems have been due to a multitude of factors. I do think the club have procrastinated in recent years, in being pro-active about improving the issue, when it was apparent that we obviously had an issue. I do think that has hurt us as well so there is likely a reasonable amount of blame to be aimed at the club for taking so long to address it.

Still, spilt milk and all that if we are addressing it seriously now.

I think our physios are likely at the top of their game so I would maybe look more at other factors.

The size of our players? Not so sure.

The style we play? More likely.

The way we train and condition to be able to play that style? More likely still.

The type of training pitches? An interesting and more recent proclamation by some “more in the know” individuals. There may be some mileage in that though.

However my favourite reason, and by the far most likely explanation, is that there are just not enough little cuddly nurses with big scary syringes down at London Colney 🙂

I have just twigged that the industrious Raper has devised a Post header for moi. How delightful – thank you Rasp, I am tickled. 🙂

I am not entirely sure what the ‘real’ injury stats are, but there is a website called http://www.physioroom.com which allegedly has the current injury situation.

From memory, it agrees with the league table position that Chas’s table is showing of 4th place, [no surprise as it is the same source] but showing the number of players injured rather than the points awarded on a weekly basis – same, same I guess – so we have just crept into the European Injury Championship. 🙂

Umm — just spotted a self corrected spelling balls up by windows:

Raper = Rasper [Sorry Rasper it was not me – honest]

Excellent read again RA.

This line stays with me.

“Overall it has to be recognised that football is a physical game and injuries are bound to happen whatever precautions are taken”

There it is, simplicity, why don’t more people see this?

Rasputin …….Rasp………. 🙂

great post RA and the horrible question – why us? I know, I know, other teams have their injury problems but the hell it is always of cataclysmic proportions and why always in November??

ooooh, unless our boys want to spend cozy Christmas at home? Callagher and Gerrard used to pick up mysterious injuries in December 🙂

chas – I tried the trick with scaring the cat with a cucumber. It didn’t work, Lilly just looked at the veg and went out, clever La La 🙂

That cat is damned lucky.

This is why I only tend to shower these days.

27. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all, My Grandsons birthday and just got back from the party and saw a new RA post.

Injury has been a problem for some years now, and has us all wondering why we seem to get a lot each year, Now My children and grand children and X Mrs are now all Vegans, they tell me they take supplement’s as well, All seem fairly healthy, but the three women all have muscular or joint problems none have been sports persons, and if i speak the truth all seem to like their beds.

Every time i meet up with them all, and have to share a meal, of course its all vegetables and fake meat, Now i find no taste in any of it but i eat it and don’t moan. Yes i am one who eats every thing, I have got a bit of rheumatism and i have a little knee damage from 30 years of football, but on the whole not to bad for my age.

When Wenger came and changed players diet and training, it did seem that at first Arsenal seemed to be better, but in all honesty after a few years injuries seemed to hit, and now to the point of being a reason that has not helped us to win too much.

Just lately i have read that Arsene has let players use certain supplements, and there is also talk of performance enhancing products. I have to say that i am not saying drugs here as i have no ides what these stories are claiming, but with my own family and the problems players get ,could that somehow be connected.

For some older Bloggers do you remember The tough of the track in the old comic Victor or the lion where he ate a fish and chip meal out of the paper before each race he had, and he usually won, could that be a new supliment.

Steve
    That’s an interesting comment.
    So you think the players are maybe taking supplements which cause both muscular/joint problems and also increase the fondness for one’s bed. Hmmmmm.

29. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening Chas, What do i know Chas, 🙂 I never knew about performance enhancing products when i played, but if it would have made me pro standard, i could have been tempted 🙂

Morning all, sorry been away a few days been mega busy and falling asleep early and waking up late.

Not good.

Anyway the posts have been interesting and I did try and comment on one a couple of days ago but WP was playing silly buggers.

So injuries…..I was surprised that we didn’t have more players in the top 10 Cockie posted a while back. Which suggests that others are suffering too, we didn’t even win the Injury League last season. But we still seem afflicted.

Why….a million and one reasons probably and no two cases are probably the same. I still think when we lost Gary Lewin and the club doctor to the FA full time our injury list rocketed upwards, but that was also the time the make up of our team seemed to become more youthful as a result of our self imposed spending restrictions. So it’s hard to say for definite.

I found the pitch debate interesting our pitch has turf and artificial grass sewn into it to avoid the surface tearing up, when Wembley was suffering with the new pitch it was shown how because the surface was multi sport their artificial grass was deeper into the turf so had less effect on the integrity of the surface, it was like that because being multi sport it had to be more forgiving than our surfaces. If the ground is hard at the Emirates it would certainly lead to more impact injuries when players land but we put so much water in the pitch it’s hard to see how it would be an issue. Perhaps the issue is that we play and train on the same surfaces, and when we play away from home the players bodies are subjected to unusual forces that they are not conditioned for. Therefore my suggestion is we plough one of the pitches at Colney to train on occasionally

Morning Folks, 🙂

Good to see you GIE, I thought you were about to do a ’26M’ and disappear into the void.

The new football pitch surfaces/construction is an evolved product but frankly I am not sure it can have much effect on injuries, as my Rugby team, Saracens, have moved from sharing the Watford pitch to the Allianz and that was constructed on the latest artificial/grass pitch, and if some of the large fellas with their crunching Rugby tackles seem to get by on it, then it implies any footballer who uses the wonderful pitch at the Emirates is a wimp. 🙂

Do you think Alexis (or any footballer) is worth €200k a week?

Not that believe anything written in the Mirror

é210k a week actually 🙂 who cares Raddy? Those are not real wages, they all but telephone numbers. We don’t have to pay him that, but anybody worth anything could ask for more

Reasons for Arsenal’s injuries……

Pitches’ artificial make-up
    Pitches too flat
    Pitches too bumpy
    Pitches too dry
    Pitches too wet
    Game too fast
    Players overtrained
    Players undertrained
    Players not warmed up
    Players strung too tight
    Genetic disposition for joint/muscle injuries
    Too many supplements
    Not enough supplements
    Players ‘liking their beds’
    Players holding on to the ball too long
    Teams holding on to the ball too long – too much possession
    Players inviting scything challenges by dribbling
    Players ducking out of tackles
    Players making rash challenges
    Players being picked to play when not 100% fit
    Players unexpectedly being asked to stop riding the pine on a cold Tuesday night in Sheffield
    Poor training methods
    Buying a team full of fragile midgets instead of Herculean Invincibles
    Players getting shoved off the pitch after the ball has gone
    Impact injuries in training – overzealous tacking
    Players overplayed in Premier League
    Players asked to play numerous internationals mid-season
    No winter break
    No summer break – when a tournament’s on
    The nature of footbal with its twisting, turning and sudden changes of direction
    Thug footballers from opposition clubs
    Attractive physios
    Comfortable sick bays
    Crap physios since Fred Street left
    Crap physios since Gary Lewin left
    Precious footballers putting their families and careers before the Club
    Not enough protection from referees
    Mike Dean
    Stoke
    Horse placenta
    Accidents
    Boots made like slippers

It really is a minefield of various factors.
    Let’s hope Shad can sort of the real reasons.

* sort out

Morning all

The point has been missed I think that we tend to get more than a fair share of talented but persistently injured players, even RVP was one.IMO that is different from a player who receives an injury either by a bad tackle, bad luck or has possibly a weakness somewhere in his body and for that reason and the way he plays I think there will always be a doubt abot Wilshere.

BR
    Messi wants 600k a week……..reportedly.

Kelsey
    Thank heaven we have you to point out when a point is missed. 🙂

Sorry about my rant yesterday but one of my daughters friends was one who was killed at the rock venue in Paris, not a close friend, but nevertheless a friend.The guy was 29 went out to enjoy himself for the night and these bastards have to somehow be brought down.

No Raddy, I don’t think any footballer is worth even 100K a week

This player was far more injured in his last season with us when he didn’t want to play for The Arsenal anymore.

Kelsey – Hackers Anonymous are on the case. I have VERY high hopes for them! They can sort it out

even RvP ?? 🙂

chas – what about TH?

Yep, him too.
    He was past it, though. Only fit for poncing around in Spain

…and playing a super sub at the Ems 5 years down the line 🙂

46. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all, Chas that is some list, no wonder they earn that wage. 🙂

Steve
    I was hoping you’d like
    Players ‘liking their beds’ 🙂

at 8:58 – that’s the one! Super sub 🙂 are you going to Hawthorns on Sat?

Couldn’t get tickets.
    Or for Aston Villa.
    It’s getting harder and harder.

Liverpool away on a Wednesday flippin night in January for over £50 and a crap view. Probably won’t go down to our level of away credits anyway.
    Might have to go to flippin Stoke away 4 days after. At least we’ll have 20 away points then and have a little more chance for other tickets.

Villa sold out to 20+ – we have 19!

Morning all …. get your thinking caps on …..

…. New post …..