Who is going to be Arsene’s Successor?

There is clearly a need and indeed an obligation for a top football club, such as Arsenal, to have begun the intricate process of longer term planning for the managerial succession once Le Roi, Monsieur Wenger, finally calls it a day as he seems to have obliquely indicated in recent times.

The conundrum the Board have is that it may not be as straightforward as it might seem on the face of it.

All public limited companies, which includes Arenal Football Club are subject to the requirements of the Companies Act to avoid foreseeable risks and therefore they need to plan for the inevitable succession and also carry out due diligence would seem to rule out any appointment from left field which would rule out and this raises some problems.

For myself, I have absolutely no doubts that conversations between the Board and Arsene have taken place and he will surely have an input as to who his likely successor might be.

The need to carry on the momentum of the club and its need to remain at the top of the footballing tree, would seem to rule out any appointment from left field which would seem to rule out the appointment of an inexperienced wannabe manager including someone who is currently taking his coaching badges, such as Thierry Henry and the like.

What is needed is an established, successful, well grounded, experienced manager conversant with the needs of a top, top football club, and that would bring its own problems in terms of the timing of Arsene’s retirement, and the then availability of the required quality of mangers, with an eye on the advancing age of those currently managing other top clubs, as that is part of the price that is paid for experience.

I do not have any real idea who would be the fans’ favourite to take over, other than the obvious one of Guardiola, but no doubt you guys will have your own ideas on who should be recruited when King Arsene steps down and who will be crowned the new king of Arsenal.

There is an alternative to the above, which despite my pooh-pahing of a left field appointment could actually happen if all the pieces fall in order.

Arsene’s contract has been extended for another three season, so I have heard, finishing in the summer 2018. Meanwhile, the appointment of Remi Garde as the Aston Villa manager for a similar period has also been announced, and this may not be entirely a coincidence.

If an ‘Arsenal man’ is the preferred option for both the Board and the fans, other than the inexperienced ones, and it may not be, then it is entirely possible that someone who has had experience of running an EPL club by then and has also managed a top French team could be the answer.

Whatever happens, or whoever is appointed, it will be a novel experience for many of us after all these years of the Professor, but everything and everyone has a beginning and end, and I for one will be sorry to see Arsene step down, it will also be an exciting move into an new era at the club.

Vive La France, Vive Arsene, Vive L’Arsenal. 😀

Red Arse … RA …Redders…

55 Responses to Who is going to be Arsene’s Successor?

If anyone wanted to know whether I write this crap off the cuff, and do not proof read it – well you have your answer above, particularly in the opening paragraphs! 😀

My only excuse is more interruptions than I had allowed for — sorry fellas, and fellowettes. 😦

RA. Thank you for stepping up to the post.

I was convinced that PV4 would be our next manager but the Northern Oilers clearly have high hopes for him and are investing into his future.
    Being given the managers job at New York which is owned by the same parent company as MC is a clear indication PV is being groomed as a future MC manager

So …. Remi Garde? Why not but I fear he has taken a poisoned chalice at AV.

Simeone would be very good. Passionate, great tactician and a winner. Barca/RM are surely favourites

TH14? Can’t see it.

Martinez is another obvious candidate. He is doing a fine job at Everton

Left field? Why not Klopp when he gets fed up at a chaotic Liverpool?

RA. Never fear, we all know how well you can write in a foreign language 😀

4. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all, Nice one Redders,
    After all this time with Arsene leading us, i have to say i have tried hard not to think of a new manager. Of course as you have said everything has to change at some time.

Wenger has, in the past, always been keen on records. I often think if he is in no rush to retire, then i feel he would like to go out a longer serving Manager than Ferguson, i could of course be wrong, but i wont think of a new man till the time comes.

Thank you for the post RA, we needed to get back to normality, i had scribbled a few words and submitted them, but this is far superior.

Raddy,

You have whetted my appetite with your suggestions – in the end one of two things will happen – either we will get one of the usual suspects — boring — or we will get an unexpected star in the making – exciting!

Who knows.

Got an appointment – see you later.

Thank you, Steve, maybe put your post on too?

7. A fine post Redders and a good talking point. Thank you.

A season or so ago I was was convinced Wenger had lost the plot and needed to go, but since he has apparently seen the light and recognised that defending is also a part of football (sorry Micky) I’ve been blown back on course and now think he should be around for a while yet.

As you rightly say, Redders, all sensible organisations must have plans in place to cope with the loss of senior figures and I’m sure that Silent Stan has just such plans tucked away in a locked drawer in his desk.

I do think that the next manager should be from the “Arsenal Family”, although at present I would rule out Thierry Henry as he strikes me as the sort of person who would find it difficult to deal with players with less skills than he had himself. Much like Glenn Hoddle in fact.

PV4, remains a possibility, although he has probably spent more time at the Oilers than he did at Arsenal, certainly he will have done by the time Wenger is ready to go. So is he still part of the Arsenal Family?

If Remi Garde can make a success of his spell at Villa, he will not only have put himself in the frame for the Arsenal job but will have proved himself something of a miracle worker to boot.

For a left field candidate I would suggest Mikel Arteta.

Incidently where does the term “left field” come from? Across the pond somewhere?

8. fred1266 says:

Seeing another manager would be so weird

9. stevepalmer1 says:

Managing a top football team, would certainly require a person with unique skills. An Arsenal man would be no good, in my opinion as he would have limited skills.

Most of the Players who have left ,and either taken managerial positions abroad, have not said very good things about Arsenal at all, and for those who have taken to punditry, also have very little good to say.

English football managers have not done too good from what i have seen, Many changing jobs frequently,and many others looking for a job.

What a club like Arsenal needs, is a Manager who has the ability to keep the side he is managing in the top half of their respective leagues, a man who has not got massive financial backers, that can gift him top players every time the team have a lapse. A man who makes educated decisions by experience.

Who that man would be i have no ideas at all, but with around twenty managers in every league their must be plenty to choose from.

Arsenal men, when they leave Arsenal seem to lose that Arsenal man integrity, many are supposedly experts in who we should recruit and where our failings are, and how we did it in my day approach. Many forget that they were managed by none other than Arsene Wenger, and the ones who wasn’t wouldn’t argue that we have been more successful under him than anybody else.

Kroenke in my mind, is the money behind the club, he has in my mind, put people in place for the club to run smoothly, he turns up when appropriate but i don’t really believe he knows that much about the game. Stan is a good business man no fool but he knows what he is good at and also realises others know more about the actual game.

I do believe that Wenger would have some say, in who takes over, as who would not listen to the man who seems to have run everything at Arsenal for close on twenty years.

Arsene has surprised me over the years, and he still does today, he has chosen players i have hardly heard of , some i haven’t heard of at all, He has paid nothing for some and broken Arsenal records for others.

Arsene will handle the change over, and if he doesn’t die in service he will surprise us again with the next Manager, whoever you think it would be, rest assured it wont be, believe me, he will stun us again.

Hi Norfolk, 🙂

The expression ‘from out of left field’ – or slight variations – means ‘a surprise or unexpected event’, or it does in my part of the world.

I think it has its origins in baseball – but it is quite widely used, as in the above – and in the UK too, maybe? 🙂

I am going to convert you all to Yankee idioms eventually.

I used another expression, some time ago, with its origins in American sport – ride the pine – meaning to be relegated to sitting on the bench (pine) and I have now seen it pop up occasionally on AA.

There is another similar sounding one, ‘riding the rail’ from the days when ‘baddies’ were ‘run out of town on a rail’ which meant being stood astride a plank and carried around town on the shoulders of the good guys getting one’s goolies mashed before being dumped outside the town limits.

Now reserved for Norfolkians who take the piddle out of men of substantial girth who have to wear baggy pants!

11. Ahh! So you intend converting us all into Yankee idiots eh Redders? Does that involve us all changing our name Bush? 😀

The ‘who’ of any such appointment is critical, but when you consider what is involved the ‘when’ is key to a happy conclusion.

Say Arsene retired in the summer of 2018, but Guardiola (most people’s favourite) finishes his current contract in the summer of 2017, he is hardly likely to hang around a year until Wenger hangs up his crown.

So what happens? Does Arsene carry on in post, or take a directorship or does the opportunity to get a top replacement just let slide with the shrug of the Gallic shoulders?

I used Guardiola as an example – but it could apply to any top man who finishes his contract on a different timetable to AW, and possibly finishes the hypothetical contract a year later than Arsene’s.
    Would AW stay another year, would Steve Bould take over in the interim, would Arsenal settle for whoever was available at the time Wenger called it quits?

All this and much more awaits us in the not too distant future. 🙂

13. Oops, I’ve just noticed it’s idioms not idiots, nothing to do with George Dublya at all. 😀

Umm, your logic shows some wild assumptions NG.

A tongue in cheek reference to the use of American slang in a UK blog is a long way short of AAers being converted to another nationality, don’t you think?

Why do you assume all Americans are idiots? Really?

I could not possibly comment, of course, but some might say that with the alleged reputation of your adopted county why would the name of Bush matter?

Never mind – I have to go, anyway.

RA, It’s always a pleasure to read one of your posts they are always well thought out and articulate.

You have managed what others seem to find impossible to do and that is write about the possibility of an Arsenal successor without one word of criticism towards the great man.

I’m so glad that you are back on blogging as that is a huge positive for me and will bring me out of the shadows.

Where is Chas? AA is not the same without him – he is part of the AA bedrock and simply must return!!!

By the way I have no idea who our next manager might be frankly it’s something that I avoid thinking about. If he has signed until 2018 then he will be 68/69 at the end of his contract so a further 3 years until 2021 is not inconceivable.

‘I’m feeling good but I won’t rush it’

Jack Wilshere says he is working as hard as he can in his rehabilitation but “won’t rush” his return from injury.

The England midfielder has not featured for Arsenal this campaign after he suffered a hairline fracture to his left fibula at the end of pre-season.

It has been a testing time for Wilshere, who had been in fine form for club and country, but the 23-year-old insists he will remain patient as he seeks to get back to full fitness.

I’m not going to rush it – I’ll make sure my body’s right and at the moment I’m feeling good. “It’s going well,” he told Arsenal Player. “I’m working as hard as I can to try to come back. I know what it takes because unfortunately I’ve been injured a few times in my career and I know what it takes to come back. I’m not going to rush it. I’ll make sure my body’s right and at the moment I’m feeling good.

“Mentally this one has been the toughest to take because I had a big injury last year, came back, got myself fit, back in good form, played for England. Then I cut my holiday short for two weeks and came in to try to get myself right for this season.

“I thought, ‘This season I need to be fit for the whole season and go into the Euros with a whole season behind me’. Unfortunately on the last day of pre-season I got injured so it was probably the toughest one for me to take.”

Wilshere has not had to go through rehabilitation alone, and the midfielder revealed how much he has benefitted from the support of team-mates Danny Welbeck and Tomas Rosicky.

“We all know it’s difficult and just being around other people helps,” he said. “At the moment it’s me, Danny and Tomas because we’re the only ones with long-term injuries. Just being around other people, speaking to them and having a bit of banter with them helps as well.

“We’re still early in the season and the busiest part of the season is coming up. I want to be part of this team and I proved last season that I can get back and fight for a place. I know it’s not going to be easy but that’s what I want to do.”

Copyright 2015 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source

Nice neat post Henry.

I like Raddy thought Vierra might be the one and a club like Arsenal plan things meticulously so either AW will extend perhaps just for a year or things are already in place to a degree.

The issue one of all round experience Kelsey, Vieira has, in my opinion, limited to no experience in managing players and zero knowledge of the transfer market, a fantastic player does not equal a manager.

Damnation!

Another – ‘this won’t hurt at all, well maybe for a second only’ – and I suppose that was true-ish, but having to present one’s unsuspecting bum to yet another poor nurse and having another injection is pretty hurtful to one’s dignity, let me tell you. 🙂

Hi GN5,

It is always good to see you on AA, and hopefully if we sound sorry enough for ourselves it will induce you to give us another of your unique Posts!! 🙂

Actually, as ‘George’ alluded to at 2:29, I wrote a short comment of a similar nature, on the question of Arsene’s successor, elsewhere, and the Post was a ten minute re-hash of that when I saw Lucky Rasper’s request this morning, but I was cross that I had not proof-read it before submitting it as one paragraph was sloppily composed to say the least.

But thank you for your well mannered support, it is appreciated. 🙂

As for you, ‘George’, aka Kelsey, who the hell is this Henry you were talking to? Naughty boy. 🙂

I have heard good things about Vieira and the esteem that he is held in oop North, but the Mancs seem to be grooming him for high office, so to speak, by giving him the chance to get the experience and understanding of what is required to manage in their New York off-shoot.

You might know more than me (not difficult) as regards his relationship with Arsene, as rumour on the streets has it that he was pretty cross that he was not offered an opportunity to study under AW at Arsenal when he retired, and he has kept his distance ever since.

More fool him, if that is true, as no one lasts too long as manager at Citeh – whereas if he was good enough the football world would be his oyster as manager of the Gunners.

Have you heard anything on your personal grapevine? 🙂

Hope you are feeling better, and perhaps you too could give us one of your pre-post, post-post, unseen game summaries that only someone with your crystal balls can do! 😀

I need to go get some coffee to steady the nerves, but before I do can I also add my voice to others requesting/imploring/demanding the early return of the gorgeously scented, male model, aka Chas, as the lack of uplifting and humorous vids, and savvy comments is detracting from the quality of AA.

Any further pusillanimous wibbling as a consequence of Eddie’s wanton matrimonial luring of Erik the Red into her amorous circle will not be tolerated – and anyway, it would be utterly selfish to deny us the opportunity to delight in your boozy, convivial cavortings with Ant while travelling on match days — now that would be unforgivable! 😀

Ra – excellent post! Unfortunately I cannot blog until chas comments, he knows

Chas you have to blog or Eddie will send her dogs after you!!!

They look really vicious.

27. Twinkle says:

And I don’t comment until after Eddie 🙂

Still using my other pseudonym because other computa still doesn’t have a charger.

28. Twinkle says:

What’s all this talk about Mr Wengers replacement….. he’ll go on forever.

Twinkle,

Delighted to see you – makes me want to break out and say,

Twinkle, Twinkle diminutive asteroid,
    How I ponder who you are!
    Up above the blog so high,
    Like a diamante in the sky.

When the prodigal son is gone,
    When he nothing shines upon,
    Then you show your little light,
    Twinkle, twinkle, all the night.

Oh, put it away, Chas! 🙂

I can easily envisage AW signing another contract. It depends upon his health and his faith that he can improve Arsenal.

You know, little twinkle, you will baffle the intriguing woman, with a bloke’s name, by coupling pseudonym with computa, and the dance of love will continue, round and round, and Erik will get wild, and feel the overpowering need to stick his horned helm on and say ‘botheration’! 🙂

Of course, you do not fool me, Monster Raddish, you are holding back to see how things go before unleashing your secret weapon – no, not that – a vid with you singing sweet nothings that will win the day – you hope – but make sure the Mrs does not catch you!! 😀

Keep twinkling – little star.

There we go another moniker for a great blogger = twinkler.

Did you notice Eddie? one threat to unleash your dogs and the blog starts to twinkle again.

Always a good question, and always worthy of a post so thank you RA.

Twinkle 🙂

RA – if you asked me 3 years ago who should replace AW I’d tell you to wash your mouth. I wanted Wenger to manage the club until he dies. I have changed my mind and think Wenger should not extend his contract. There are 3 managers that I wouldn’t mind seeing in N5 – Pochettino, Martinez and Pep. Klopp? maybe. Remi? maybe.They are not ready for the job yet. Maurizio is, let’s poach him from Spurs 🙂

37. RC78 says:

Hi to everyone – just to let you know that all is well for my family and friends in Paris. The attacks were horrific and the main feelings are schock and disbelief coupled with a need to gather. There is no resentment yet towards ethinic minorities but once the schock is absorbed, it will start so let us brace ourselves for some hate retaliation in France…Anyways – thanks for caring and for your support to my hometown. #JesuisParis #JesuislaRepublique #Jiraiaustade #Jiraiauxconcerts #Jiraienterrace

38. RC78 says:

As for AW successor, I am really hoping for a duo of former players…Imagine Vieira-Bergkamp 🙂

39. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha, brilliant stuff, Redders. 🙂

Thats what you call back with a bung! 🙂

My take? Most would think crazy, but as good a guess as any other:

Apologies RA,

I mixed you up with a logger on ACLF who has a very similar writing style to you.

ROI game was average but the fans were awesome

Morning Folks, 🙂

Delighted all is well with you and the family, RC78!! 🙂

Kelsey, darling, no apologies required – he really is good, that other blogger! 😀

I knew I could not fool Crystals Kelsey. 🙂

Hi Arnie,

And you are correct, Stojkovic was mentioned as a likely successor to Arsene many years ago, but I am not sure that is still on – but you could be right – now that would out of left field. 🙂

Morning, Raddy,

Where is the Micky type surfing’ dude? And the iconic Little Tinkle aka Chas is obviously not up yet! 😀

Hiya, Eddie, 🙂

The Post was not about wanting Arsene to be replaced – far from it – it was really just wondering about the planning process that would have to be agreed by the club, and the mechanics of selecting someone who was available at the appropriate time.

No one should be in a hurry for AW to leave us — even the doubters will realise what they have lost when he is gone.

Following my chat with Norfolk, I decided to set up a new organization;

Idioms of the World Unite

Raddy was the first member, ‘Way out, Man” he said — but then as a guitar man he is working in a neo-classical four string, one finger idiom. 🙂

Sign up, all you Idioms out there! 😀

You joining us Norfolkian? 🙂

What, me? Scared everybody off? Surely not! 😀

49. Red Arnie says:

motning all! we have class, we do things differently. we appoint a manager not for one year, but for at least a decade. out of left field is the way to go! 🙂

50. Red Arnie says:

OK, Redders, if not Stojkovic, who then? Unders Bonkers?

Now, that is also a serious possibility. 🙂

………… Twinkle is not chas, he is northbank …………….

We have a New Post …………………..

I have to admit, Arnie, that I do not know who would be a great appointment – but my bet is that there will be a thorough appraisal of any manager who would be interested.

Candidly there is a phenomenon called ‘Wisdom of the Crowd’ where the combined ‘brains’ of a number of people outperforms that of any individual — and there does seem to be a case where a large number of fans of all clubs will agree that Guardiola is the best manager, or Klip Klop is the best manager, and maybe they are right.

My own view is that there is also the question of people agreeing that someone is a great footballer, or manager etc, simply by following like sheep the strongest personalities telling them that ‘X’ or ‘Y’ is the best footballer or manager, or whatever is the case.

So, wisdom of the crowd is fine, being a sheep is not – the problem is knowing which is which. 🙂

I like to think of myself as an independent thinker, which because of the ‘crowd’ phenomena, mentioned above, can be unpopular – but in fact I often come full circle back to a position as in the first paragraph, above, in that I do not always have an answer due to insufficient knowledge or lack of facts, and therefore I am happy to admit to only being able to guess. 😀

Injuries Hurt!

One has to wonder if Arsenal have yet come to grips with these continuing cycles of injury that besets our players.

I suppose that one first needs to analyse the causes of the injuries.

It is obvious that some injuries are out and out thuggery by an opposition player, such as has happened to About Diaby and Rambo, for example.

Others may be a result of a genetic imbalance that makes some players inherit brittle bones, or ligaments that fail more easily than perhaps is normal in professional sport.

Then again, the warm up and warm down process before and after a game or when coming off the bench should be straight forward to apply and in most cases does not cause most players a problem.

The style or nature of some players needs to be taken into account as well, and it seems obvious that a ‘big engined’ non-stop, physically aggressive player is likely to suffer injuries more often than a laid back, skilful player who makes the ball do the work for him.

It seems obvious that there is nothing the club physios can do about the occasional bursts of thuggery that can be bad enough that it can cripple a player’s career, as it has done for Diaby and Eduardo and nearly put paid to Rambo too.

The same is also true of players who have been born with a genetic condition or predisposition to be more easily injured, which can only be medically ameliorated rather than cured.
    It might be worth the club considering investigating a player’s family history in that respect before extending contracts, as paying someone to sit on the injured roster for months or even years is not helping the club or its devoted followers, altho that action does have moral and human rights significance, but in any event there is little the club can do about it.

The warm up and muscle conditioning process may need to be tailored to suit individual players, as Theo, for example, seems to be extraordinarily prone to apparently self-inflicted injury, as does the Ox, and Tomas R.

Overall it has to be recognised that football is a physical game and injuries are bound to happen whatever precautions are taken, and to help counter that the club needs the very best facilities to sped up recovery, and, as I write, new facilities are in the process of being built.

Contiguous with that, it is essential that the very best physios are retained to put in place the very best medical knowledge and apply the very best treatment, and again I think the Arsenal’s physios are among the best.

Let’s face it – injuries are buggers and when they occur, and however long the player is out is not simply a question of a mathematical calculation – there are many factors involved including the player’s age, physique, style of play and genetic disposition, so we just need to suck it up when an injury occurs and realise it is in no one’s interest for a talented player to be sitting on his ass getting paid big bucks and that everything that can be done has or is being done and to cut back on the criticism of the club for not handling it.

In my opinion – of course. 😀