I feel a change is in the air

Morning all,

I see many supporters are a little uneasy at the moment, bad results seem to do that. We have all seen bad results in the past and I am pretty dammed sure many in the future as well.

Usually after bad performances the old stick comes out to beat our Manager. You know what, at times, I would like to wield that stick as he gets right up my nose.

Wenger has supposedly, more power at Arsenal than many others have in their clubs, whether that is correct I can only assume. Over the years and especially these last 5 years more and more talk has been about a new broom.

Now I am not against change and if Wenger went today Arsenal would still survive. Would Arsenal improve or would they struggle?  Who knows, we are not clever enough to know.

Arsene Wenger has been a good Manager in my eyes, when I say good I mean consistent and isn’t that what we want for a football team. He has been managing for ever so he knows his way around a training ground, but is he finished? That is the big question we have to ask.

Many will undoubtedly say he has to go at some time and of course they are right, nothing lasts forever and would we want it to. Nobody is irreplaceable, as death has shown us if a guvner or an owner dies, some body will step up.

I feel it is at this time where I have to ask, what do we want from Arsene’s replacement? A fair question I feel. Is it a more modern man, who has fresh idea’s, a man who can handle young men and get the best out of them, a man that can turn the team we have into league Champions and a man who doesn’t need a tanker truck filled with readies following him around?

Many establish that Arsenal are a wealthy club. On the books we are probably in the top ten most wealthiest, so where is the problem? As many have said Wenger is a pensioner and in all rights should be put out to grass.

Supposing we were to replace him with a man as said above, and our form actually went down , perhaps missing Europe for a few years, say we went down a division would that worry you at all, or would you concede that the new man needs time, much the same as Wenger had.

I can see that that is probably the line many would take, he needs time, and I myself would probably say the same. And lets face it a young modern type manager has a lot of time left so no problem.

Now lets say the new man comes in and makes a massive impact, Arsenal soar to the top of the league. He buys a few players and all our problems are solved. Our wins in the league and in Europe and all the cups herald us as the very best. How pleased would we all be? Blimey I am gagging at the bit here.

Yes of course that could happen. Why shouldn’t it? Look how many other clubs have done it, it happens all the time doesn’t it? Of course it doesn’t we all know that, but a nice thought though.

We, of course, will need a change of manager no doubt about that, but what we must realise is that things will change which is what most supporters want, but lets not kid ourselves, it could be a lot better , but is also could be a lot worse,

Our change is just around the corner, get ready for it, as it could be a really long and bumpy ride.

Written by Steve Palmer

142 Responses to I feel a change is in the air

1. myfunkyself says:

Which is why we can only replace him with a suitable alternative. For me we should be in negotiations with Bayern Manager Guardiola, to come to us when he finishes his tenure there. Thus a fitting replacement.

2. Shard says:

Nice one Steve.

Just a couple of points. We have money, in major part, due to the same qualities of Wenger that he has long been criticised for.

When you talk of going down a division, I think falling out of cl qualification is exactly that. It is very difficult and very expensive to come back from. Look at ManU, Spurs and Liverpool. While we knock it, clubs like that would give up almost anything to get back in there.

As for a new manager, I would probably go for 2 or 3 years of someone more experienced to take over from Wenger, so that his legacy doesn’t overpower him. My choices would be Ancelloti, Pellegrini, and Bielsa.

3. stevepalmer1 says:

Thank you Funky, one to ponder over.

Cheers, Steve.
    I like your ‘stream of consciousness’ posts/comments.

Are you saying Wenger is about to leave now or at the end of his contract?
    Are you saying it’ll be difficult for us when he goes or a welcome breath of fresh air?
    Will we get relegated or win the Champions League?
    Who knows?

I’ve no idea what this one is about but I’m sure it’ll promote a lively and interesting ‘debate’.
    Thanks again.

5. stevepalmer1 says:

Thank you Shard, Your comment has made me slightly confused, when you say more experienced, i take it you mean more experienced than Wenger would i be correct.

6. Shard says:

More experienced than a young fresh modern manager (whatever that would mean) 🙂

7. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Chas, As you know Chas, i am a Wenger fan, I am quite happy with him although at times i would take the stick to him 🙂 Many have said we are ready for change, I have to admit, that Wenger has said he is coming to the end, and has suggested that maybe its time for him to sit back.

With that view in mind we have to look at the possibility that there will be change, hence the comment or Post. You guys know enough about The Arsenal, and whats entailed, i would just like to delve into peoples thoughts thats all

8. stevepalmer1 says:

Cheers Shard, sounds sensible.

Thanks, Steve, though I’m still none the wiser. 🙂

If a new chap comes in and doesn’t get results pretty sharpish, I’ll definitely rustle my crisp packet a little louder during quiet moments.

10. stevepalmer1 says:

Chas Supporters like you are not so thick on the ground, You know your football and picked the right club, Yeh you will rustle all right, but your support will still be strong.

11. The Gunners have a frustrating habit of inconsistancy. Whether that is the fault of Wenger, or the players or both I’m not sure. When I see them play like they did against Leicester I’m over the moon, then they have an off day against the ‘Bubbles’ and I’m fuming.
    Is it not just all part of supporting a football team? I blown hot and cold over Wenger…. but I don’t think I’ve ever wanted him to go! If consistency is staying in the top four and getting CL football every season then he has done a good job… but now add to that 2 FA cup triumphs on the trot and we could now say things are getting better.
    He will go eventually or move upstairs and a new bloke will come in, whoever that is will have a big task to take over from the Frenchman and fill his shoes. A big change like a manager will have inherent risks and we will have to go with the flow and see what happens.
    If someone pushed me to choose who I would like to take over………. then my choice would be Dennis.

I like the look of Ancelloti. He has the required gravitas to be our next manager. I also like his left eyebrow. 🙂

As for Bielsa, I’ve never heard of him which proves I’m the wrong person to ask as to who our next manager should be. I’ll leave it there for more sensible folks to give their opinions.

13. Shard says:

Chas

Bielsa is currently the manager of Marseille. I first noticed him as manager of Chile in the 2010 world cup, and then followed his career at athletic bilbao. He plays good attacking football, and has a little bit of crazy in him. Which I like 🙂

Ancelloti. More succesful than Mourinho but the media never seem to exalt him the same way. Seems like a decent man too, though he looks like a mafia boss. He even got Chelsea to stop behaving like thugs and cheats during his spell there and got them to play some good football.

14. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning NB, You sound a bit more like me, top 4 Champions league a couple of cups and things dont look to awful. I only hope that should push come to shove we pick a name that i can pronounce, took me Fkkking ages to get Wengers right. 🙂

16. We also have to put our position into perspective by looking at other clubs. Man City were being heralded as run away champions a few weeks ago, then boom, lose at home to the Hammers and get battered 4 -1 in the shadows of N17 and all of a sudden they aren’t looking too good.. The Chavs, last years champions and this season could be relegation fodder.

It happens at some point to practically every team so looking at us, we don’t have it too bad…. and on the up side, we play beautiful football, which I think will be Wengers biggest legacy.

17. RC78 says:

If we are to get a new coach, I really think that Ancelotti would be the best one. He is an absolute great 🙂 Other than him, I do not see many coaches that could take us to the next level. Sadly enough, Mourinho could but we will never take him 🙂 Guardiola and Klopp couild be options but for some reason am not sure despite their credentials…

Let us be honest, we are still at least 3 starting XI players short of being contenders and another 3 squad players to be genuine CL and EPL top 2…

We need a new CB to replace BFG as starter
    We need a new DM to replace LeCoq as starter
    We need a new FW to play up front

We also need to improve on our FBs (replace Debs and Gibbs) and we need another CM as well…

Cech – Bellerin, RECRUIT, Kos, Monreal – Ramsey, RECRUIT, Cazorla – RECRUIT, Walcott, Sanchez

Ospina – RECRUIT, Chambers, Gabriel, RECRUIT – Wilshere, Coquelin, RECRUIT – Ox, Giroud, Wellbeck

Yes yes: I get rid of Debs, BFG, Gibbs, Arteta, Flamini, Rosicky, Ozil and Campbell

Now imagine if we got: Garay, Bender or Biglia, Griezzmann, Coleman, Baines and Sissoko..Our team is looking very strong all of a sudden and all of them are attainable players…

Anyways – just a thought…I think that we need to get rid of some players and need to acquire better quality that add something new to our game – either steel or goals from outside the box

A very entertaining Post, Steve – that’s what we need on the blogs sometimes – entertaining – enough of the doom and gloom – and it was fun to see you pin down my friend, Shard. 😀

Thanks Steve, my concern is more about how we go about choosing a new manager whenever AW leaves the post. We lack people with first hand football knowledge on the Board = those who employ the manager. I’d like to see the Board reinforced with maybe one or two ex players who have experienced the good and the bad in Arsenal’s history.

I think it is dangerous to place too much power in the hands of any one person (or any one player in a team). I’d like to see our next manager make the team his sole concern and with others having input into budgets and transfers etc.

It may indeed be AW himself who has the major say in who takes over in the future because who else is there that is qualified to make such a decision? Would Ivan claim to have the necessary knowledge to appoint a new manager?

20. Shard says:

RA

You like Wrraastling?

Rasper,

The comments yesterday and Steve’s Post have started the creative juices in yours truly, because I think there are a mix of things that need to be addressed.

I can express my opinions as a comment now, but there is a lot to cover and that might be taking the focus off Stevie Boy, or I could stick it on the end of yesterday’s Post and you could delete it and use as you see fit. [Don’t be rude!] 🙂

Your advice would be helpful. 🙂

I certainly do, Shard, the bigger the gator the better – or did you mean you? 😀

Hi Redders, that’s a good plan 🙂 Either stick it on the end of yesterday’s, or even better, email it to arsenalnuts@live.co.uk

24. Shard says:

Rasp

I agree that it would be a good idea to get some football guys on board. Trouble is, very few ex footballers seem to really know the game. Maybe we could get Niall Quinn. He’s ex Arsenal. Though it would be a demotion for him in some ways. I could see Bergkamp, Overmars, and maybe Keown in such roles. But are they interested?

A board restructure will probably take some time. But along with footballers, I’d also like us to have some influential media guys on board. Owners or editors of newspapers and magazines.

25. Shard says:

No thanks RA. The woodpecker warned me against getting too close to you 🙂

Hi Shard, well one name that springs to mind easily as a great addition to the Board would be Bob Wilson. We are not talking about a full time job here – more of a consultant.

27. Shard says:

Especially with your juices flowing

Email is a no-no for me, Rasper. That one we used recently to contact that rogue Rocky was only temporary.

I am not my own master in these things, but rely on other people’s kindness to use their computers, broadband and the like, as my health has turned me into a bit of a nomad blown this way and that. 🙂

That damned Woody Woodpecker should keep his mouth shut! 🙂

30. Shard says:

Rasp

I thought of him, but really, do you think he understands the modern game and the related business? I really like Bob Wilson, but it would be nothing but a ceremonial role for him I think.

31. Shard says:

He shoukd have kept something else shut too RA 🙂

Lliam Brady? Pat Rice?

Yes Shard I do. And he only needs to understand football. I’ve heard BW interviewed many times and he always comes across as knowledgeable and level headed.

34. ‘morning all,

Nice one Steve, it’s always good to gaze into the crystal ball and imagine what might happen in the future.

In the case of the Arsenal manager, however, it’s a bit futile. Wenger won’t leave before his contract expires, he has often stated that he never breaks a contract.

Kroenke has consistently backed his manager through thick and thin, even if things gets a bit thinner I can’t see him rethinking his philosophy. Arsenal are a going concern, drawing in mostly capacity crowds both home and away, attracting good advertising and sponsorship revenues. The club pays a modest salary to the directors and contributes £3 million to the Kroenke empire’s coffers each year for “corporate services”.

Results on the field will not greatly impinge on the current financial position providing we don’t have a complete melt-down.

I believe Kroenke understands what we supporters call “Arsenal’s Class” and appreciates the almost total lack of bad off-field publicity, our manager does not make a habit of slagging off his players nor does he make disparaging and sexist comments about his medical staff. Whilst we do not have a striker with the goal scoring ability of Diego Costa neither do we have the thuggery that goes with it.

All in all a well run, relatively successful soccer club playing attractive football under a manger well respected throughout the footballing world.

If it was your club, I believe you would think long and hard before bowing to the braying of dissatisfied supporters and tabloid hacks and replacing Arsene Wenger.

35. Shard says:

Ok Rasp. I won’t dispute that then. We’re all guessing here, but in principle it would be a good idea to have someone who understands the game on the board.

36. Shard says:

Norfolk

Is this second 3million pound payment confirmed? I only read one report of it, and even that didn’t state it as fact.

Not that it makes much difference. For one, there might be a legitimate service being provided that would roughly cost the same. Secondly, Kroenke is in it to make money and I have no problem with him doing so as long as it doesn’t harm Arsenal. 3m is not really going to do that.

37. Shard, I’m sure one of the many accountants on here can either confirm or deny the truth that we have both read about the paltry sum of £3 or £6 million in total paid over the last two years.

I’m not so sure Kroenke is in it just to make money, I see him more as a collector of sports franchises. He appears happy to sit on his initial investment and smile as the value of his properties steadily increase.

Why rock the boat?

38. NG

I’m sure that Transplant the thieving accountant will come up with confirmation as to who has the £3m and what they are spending it on… and I bet Stans name will crop up in his detailing. 🙂

39. Soixante Neuf, It’s probably a perfectly legitimate payment for legal fees or some such, I can’t see someone as wealthy as Silent Stan bothering to fiddle such a piddling amount.

Norfolk,

Sorry, I can only do this on the fly – ‘phone calls hither and thither interrupting me!! 😀

The £3m management fee, if true, is simply petty cash in the great scheme of things. Even the Tea Lady gets paid more than that. 🙂

What happens is that the published accounts tend to round up income into its various categories and also the expenses.

Income:
    Match Day Income = £100.4m; Broadcasting rights = £124.8m; Commercial, Shirt Sales, Loans = £104.1m —- Total £329.3m

Outgoings:

WagesSalaries = £264.1m; Non Cash – Depcn/Amortisation = £70.4m; Profit on Player Sales = +£28.9m; Property and JV = +£13.8m; Interest = £12.8m; Taxation = £4.7m; Total £309.3m

Profit after Tax = (£329.3m – £309.3) = £20m.

So you can see that ‘things’ can be grouped together, and until the club release a breakdown of the income and expenses detail it is only guessing as to whether an additional £3m was paid to Kroenke’s holding company.

(I have not seen a breakdown – but it might have been released without my knowledge) 🙂

41. How dare they! Releasing figures without your knowledge Redders? Disgraceful!

Thanks for the breakdown, I can still see no reason why Stan would upset the apple cart by sacking Wenger.

42. I know someone who has a lot of football knowledge and would definitely be available if Wenger was to leave…..Arsene Wenger!

Wouldnt it be brilliant if Wenger was to go upstairs and be in control of transfers and spending whilst we got a new man in to deal with the team and tactics!! 🙂

On a serious note, im happy for Arsenal to move forward and get a new manager in if they feel its what we need, but anyone who thinks that getting rid of Wenger and getting someone new in is going to instantly make us a better team are deluded. The new manager will need time and backing from the board AND more importantly the fans.

My worry is that a new man will come in and as soon as results arent going right there will be calls for someone else. If our owns fans are willing to call for the head of the clubs greatest ever manager, then why would they hesitate in doing that to someone who has been at the club for a matter of months? If that happens then we will be in the management merry go round along with all the other clubs in the PL, and that can be a dark place at times.

43. RC78 says:

FGG – no guanrantee that another manager will bring more success…

44. Herb'sArmy says:

Nice one Steve, I’ve seen nothing since the 8-2 that convinces me Arsene should have stayed on. But he does seem to revel in collecting embarrassing heavy defeats without reciprocating against those who serve them up.
    Those who worship Arsene please look away, because I’ve found an article from The Guardian that sums Arsene’s Arsenal up perfectly.

“Over his 18 years of consecutive Champions League football Wenger has presided over 177 games in the competition. That is a big old number. As you might imagine, there has been a wide spectrum of performances and experiences with that. Some outstanding (beating Real Madrid in the Bernabeu with a Thierry Henry special), some routine (a straightforward 2-0 home win over Standard Liege for example), and some hideous (last season’s calamitous 3-1 defeat by Monaco sums up this batch quite well).

The trouble with making the same type of mistakes repetitively – (your favourite pet-hate, Redders?) – over 18 years and 177 games is that it becomes unacceptable that Arsenal seem unable to learn. To change. To adapt. To try to do things differently. With that much experience of Champions League football, and with – on the whole – pretty good players for this level at their disposal, it reveals a very deep-rooted problem to know all about the banana skin in front of you and still go flying. That 177 is an admirable number in a way, reflecting consistency few others match in terms of Champions League qualification, but in another way it is damning. All those games. Same old naivety.

Arsenal’s difficulty in controlling games, this tendency for anxious football that makes them chase and put all their emotion into trying to force a situation before they fall apart has become an unwanted hallmark in Europe. Any opponents who are well organised, committed, and try their luck have a chance of profiting if Wenger’s team slip into this self-destructive mode. This season Dinamo Zagreb and Olympiacos have done it. In their past three home games in the Champions League Arsenal have resorted to this brand of hectic, disorganised football and on each occasion shipped three goals, to Anderlecht, Monaco and Olympiacos. These are not the clubs from the Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Juventus stratosphere but teams Arsenal were comfortable favourites to beat at home.

From a headline perspective, Wenger left himself open to criticism with the Petr Cech/David Ospina situation. His ambiguous explanation over the selection of the second (and weaker) choice, with the semi-disguised hint of an injury worry over Cech, was unhelpful. If Cech had a clear injury concern then picking Ospina was reasonable. If not, it begs the obvious question as to why a manager would not pick his only purchase of the summer in a key position for a must win game.

But beyond that debate, the broader question boils down to why Arsenal play with this strung-out recklessness in the Champions League. Why they find it so hard to be calm. Ian Wright called it “schoolboy” stuff, but surely they should know better how to control games of this nature by now. It is only when the causes are more or less lost, in the knockouts once they have blown the first leg, that they can relax and put in a heroic (but not quite good enough) winning performance.”

Apologies to anyone who has already read the article, but I hadn’t, and found it quite a useful little insight.
    And after typing it all out on one finger, I need a cuppa, so see you all anon.

Here’s a look at the current PL Manager merry go round – who in their right mind would want us to join the round about?

9 – were appointed this year.

It’s becoming a joke. The only thing that’s a guarantee is supporter dissatisfaction will remain as long as the clubs don’t win silverware. The holy grail of football has become a Trophy and nothing but a Trophy will do to satisfy the bleating hordes.

The critics who say it’s not about trophy’s are being completely disingenuous and will never be satisfied – it’s these folks that drive out managers and they will, of course, become the loudest critic’s of the replacement manager – and the beat goes on………………

Club – Manager – Appointed
    Spurs Mauricio Pochettino 27-May-14
    Watford Quique Sanchez Flores 05-Jun-15
    WBA Tony Pulis 01-Jan-15
    WHU Slaven Bilic 09-Jun-15

46. fatgingergooner says:

Herb,

‘…I’ve seen nothing since the 8-2 that convinces me Arsene should have stayed on….’

Do 2 FA Cups mean nothing?

47. Herb'sArmy says:

FGG

Not since it became down-graded and 4th place in the PL became more important.
    Remember the 5th Rnd home tie against Blackburn when the defeat was played down because we were resting players to get knocked out of CL by Bayern Munich?
    So what, we pick and choose when to take it seriously?
    The 2014 FA Cup probably stopped Arsene leaving, but it was only a minor compensation for having surrendered the PL title in January, when he only brought in the injured Kim Kallstrom.

48. stevepalmer1 says:

Afternoon all, thank you for your input.
    I did read that Wenger did say he would have liked to have managed his country before he retired, i can’t remember when or where i read this but i am sure he said.

I seem to have started a landslide, I mention our managers replacement and within seconds we are onto boardroom staff. Now I personally would not replace Wenger, If he asked to go i would ask him to stay on even if i had to hoodwink him into it.

Many have posted possible names, and some big names too I have to say some could be possibilities, but do any of you Remember the Dutchman that was asked to come in and take care of the reserves, his name escapes me at the moment. I felt that this guy was asked to come, and i naturally felt he seemed like a Wenger replacement. Picked by Wenger and he would also be educated in how the Arsenal work’s Arsen signed a 3 year contract if i am not mistaken and Matey would have been schooled.. IK could be wrong but if we bring a complete stranger in, he will demand to do it all his way, he would demand money and he would want complete control. Even if Wenger went upstairs do you think a new man would get all he demands.

Its my belief we have our future Manager in the fold all ready and when everybody feels his ready Arsene will smoke his Pipe

49. stevepalmer1 says:

Herb, you are one stubborn fffer, i like your tenacity, boy you really dont like him do you.

Herb whether you play Champions league or a friendly its eleven against eleven, unless we get a man sent off for f—k all. Any game is winnable or losable, even the best teams lose and sometimes by a country mile. The reason supporters like me and you watch these games is we dont know the outcome till the whistle blows. If we did we wouldn’t bother watching would we.

You may need to see some one and ask them why you have this anti person persona, you could also ask this therapist why you come onto a blog that is all happy and try your best to f===k it up.
    Now i find you hilarious you can write all day and if i am honest you sound like a well informed supporter, but you do need to see someone mate, do us all a favour and go this weekend.

50. fatgingergooner says:

Herb,

We rested players in the CL this season, so if we win it will that make it less important too?

Hahaha. You’re effin priceless, Steve.

Steve logic does not prevail it will only start yet another circular debate that will go absolutely nowhere.

It has gone way beyond being boring it’s fucking tedious, but unfortunately every response is akin to dangling a carrot which will get chewed up.

53. Herb'sArmy says:

GN5

My logic prevails over your losing mentality so unless you’ve got anything pleasant to say, don’t discuss me like I’m not here.
    A man of your seniority should know better than to continually display naïve ignorance.
    You are rude and arrogant and rate a manager who hasn’t had Arsenal winning anything significant for over 10 years.
    Good for you.
    I don’t rate him anymore, it’s that simple.
    If you really want to know what most supporters think of Arsene go and visit other blogs rather than ram your narrow-minded aggressive belief down other people’s throats. You’ll find that people like you, with unswerving, unquestioning loyalty are becoming a minority.
    You claim to support Arsenal, but gladly sycophantically suck up everything Arsene tells you to believe, like some weird religious cult.
    Yes Arsenal have been a hell of a lot worse before Arsene, but they’ve also been a hell of a lot better.
    Either remember your manners or don’t talk to me or about me.

54. Frankly I’ve stopped reading anything that starts of with the words Herb’sArmy. Life’s too short.

55. Herb'sArmy says:

That’s cool Norfolk, that’s why Arsenal can’t really progress because of supporters who think Arsene is the be-all and end-all of modern Arsenal.
    I only briefly returned because Rasp made an e-mail public, but leopards never change their spots, so I’m gone.
    You can resume your cosy Arsene love-in without fear of seeing me appear.

That is the most out of order comment that has ever been posted on this site – I leave it up the the site administrators to take action and bring some order back to AA. It’s turned it a mouthpiece for one poster.

Until I see some action I will refrain from posting.

57. stevepalmer1 says:

Oh sorry Herb Went for a piss.
    Herb you rattle on about a load of old rubbish if you like other blogs so much, frequent them more often. We have all been there mate thats why most like it here, But you still need to see someone.

58. The Cockie Monster says:

I`ve got a great idea 💡

How about we all agree with Herb and start each comment with…..”You`re spot on Herb ! “…………and then talk about something else of Herb`s choosing !.
    I love it really and would pay decent money to see a tag team fight between Herb`s Army and GN5 partnered with GIE…………..G-Force in G-Strings !. hahaha

59. stevepalmer1 says:

GN5 don’t be bloody stupid, not blog becaus a know all has a word, F==k him, we got on ok before he came and we will continue to survive without him.

steve – no, not everyone on AA is happy, speak for yourself mate 🙂 I am furious, to the point that I am trying to understand rugby rules. The days of my love affair with Wenger are truly over.

The beginning of the end was when I learned he and his wife signed a prenupt allowing them to shag about. Sorry, but that is disgusting from a man over 60 (he was that when he married) and tells me an awful lot about a person. And then it was the Olymipiakos and Ospina. I am cured of Arsene and I truly wish he was replaced by a younger manager.

Great post BTW and I hope he goes. Or give me that stick and I will use it

61. Shard says:

The trouble with logic is that it relies on certain axioms which are true within a certain system. It’s why computers can be so great but so infuriating. They can’t perceive anything not already within their world view.

A point of view can be completely logical, but be complete nonsense.

Keep calm guys, we can’t monitor the site 24/7. We have busy lives. Peaches has been ill for a week and is at a funeral today and I am texting this whilst driving 😦

Thanks Steve
    I think the day has had the inevitable outcome culminating in Cockies G Force in G Strings comment 😄
    Wales Fiji on telly

64. Herb'sArmy says:

‘We’?

For your information stevepalmer, I was blogging on here when you were on ‘Highbury House’ before you jumped ship, so you remember your manners too, instead of constantly resorting to foul language.
    And it’s because I do visit various different Arsenal blogs of all moods that I have a more balanced view.
    Why would I need to see someone?
    Is it because I don’t love Arsene the way you all seem to?
    I’ll book in for the full frontal lobotomy right away before I pop over to Le Grove and tell them they’re all wrong, and that Arsene is the only way forward.
    Finally, a ‘know-all’? Why do you feel the need to be so insulting?
    Adult debate? Not here on this site.
    Now please let me go in peace, just as I wish for you and everyone else of the Arsenal faith.

65. stevepalmer1 says:

Sorry to hear your not happy Eddie, I agree a dirty old Frenchman should just concentrate on football, His poor wife will probably carry on doing his washing, I doubt sex will never cross her mind Probably why he signed the paper.

Cant help you with Rugby rules, as i only watch it when there is nothing else on

66. stevepalmer1 says:

You still here Herb. By.

Eddie
    Quality addition to the debate to throw in some personal filth 😀

68. stevepalmer1 says:

Chas, 🙂

I do not understand. We are all Arsenal fans, why have a go at each other? We are a community which has to allow difference of opinion without giving or taking offence

I hate coming in at the end of the day and reading AA’ers bring rude to each other.

As to the manager ….. I would be satisfied if AW left at season’s end IF we could get Klopp.

71. Shard says:

Chas

As RA will tell you, in the old west, rustling was punishable by death.

chas.5.18 Excellent – I think I will make this my mantra

73. The Cockie Monster says:

I hate coming on and finding out that Arsene has a prenupt for shagging other women !………….Bastard !……….I want one !.

Bonus would be if the missus had one which only allowed her to go with other women !. hahaha

ChAs
    Hahahahahaha 😀
    Very good
    Yeah your sort
    Any old crap on the pitch and you just sit there all content 😀

75. stevepalmer1 says:

Point taken in BR, My apologies. GN5’s fault

Hi guys – is everyone still farting smiling? 🙂

Absolutely superb try
    Bravo fiji

Micky, I wasn’t quiet on Saturday watching a load of old ‘stale’ football at the King Power. 🙂

Sensitive times on the site so don’t provoke me 😀

I wonder if I can get some mass co-ordinated crisp bag rustling going on during the match on Sunday.
    Could be very effective. 🙂

Should have had the crisp bag rustling at Leicester surely 🙂 is it possible to rustle a prawn sandwich?

Rustling? Did I hear someone mention rustling — you leave my uncle’s cows alone or he’ll larn yuh to quit rustling’.

Yoh!

Rasper baby, are you around?Sadly not I have been calling and have sz email I think if no response by Monday we will have to consider whether to suit a statement or not

Kind regards Davidwz

84. wally says:

I’m not smart enough to know who but I do know this. Whoever comes needs to instill a winning culture. What we don’t have and haven’t had for too long now is a winning culture. A place where winning is demanded not hoped for.

Someone needs to tell remind Kroenke and Gazidis that the fans demand winning.

And Gazidis and Kroenke need to tell Wenger and the players that they are not playing in the the ‘TRY HARD LEAGUE’. That they are playing and (ostensibly competing) in the GET IT DONE LEAGUE. That if they (manager or players) don’t get it done then they will be replaced with someone who will get it done.

This is not about spending money. It’s about demanding excellence from everyone involved with the team. Far too often we see the kind of performances we’ve seen in both CL matches. I don’t want to hear why we lost, why we didn’t perform well. I’m tired of the excuses.

We need to be raising the bar.

Instead of eating smoked salmon, snails, frogs legs and a good wine kindly show your authority Raddy and moderate 🙂

Now the mysterious RA who posts without an e mail address. I am impressed as my crystal ball takes second place.

Did i tell you I knew Erroll Brown.Lovely humble and very rich man.I went out wth his wife’s sister for 6 months, they are from Mauritaus.

You can rely on me for useless info….always

kelsey. I have been out all day and would certainly have “refereed” has I been here.

I trump your Errol Brown

I know Tony Hadley from Spandau Ballet who is a mad Gooner as is Dermott O’Leary, who sat next to me in the Clock End before he became famous.

87. Hah I can top that Big Raddy, I had breakfast with Nicholas Parsons.

NG. I have had breakfast with Dennis Law – maybe not top star quality like Mr Parsons but a hero nonetheless.

89. stevepalmer1 says:

I played football against Ray Davies and his brother, KInky

90. BR, did your breakfast last for the best part of two hours? Mine did, we shared a table in the restaurant car on the 7.58 train from Norwich to London Liverpool Street. 😀

91. Steve was it the football that was kinky or Ray Davis’s brother?

92. stevepalmer1 says:

It was so long ago NG i didnt think anybody would remember them 🙂

Steve. I thought Ray’s brother was named Dave. They went to school in Muswell Hill and Ray is a season ticket holding Gooner.

NG. No, it was in a Happy Eater outside Swindon. Miserable place and he was poor company.

94. stevepalmer1 says:

Couldn’t remember his brothers name till you said Raddy, A gooner as well i didn’t know that, every time we played we didn;t like one another but i loved their music

Radish,

I have left a post sized comment on the end of yesterdays Post, for you or Rasp to use and delete for tomorrow if nothing else is available.

No idea who/what or where that earlier comment came from.
    @ 6:32.

96. Prince says:

Give the man a fair go. His wife or ex-wife just took half. HALF!!! I hate it when bitches be taking my money….
    We will be back on track come Sunday when Wenger shovels out the shit and manure.fc out of North London….
    Ps. Can someone shoot Piers Maggot…. he gives me a migraine

I saw Pwtw Murray a few weeks ago, driving his very old merc. He is 89 and I used to sit right behind him in the West Stand but of course I beat you all with GG at my wedding haha.

98. stevepalmer1 says:

I painted Jamie Olivers barn floor and his sisters house and his mum and dads pub, his dad cooked us breakfast is that any good.

Thanks for the thought provoking post Steve. Sorry if I repeat anything anyone has said but I haven’t had the time yet to go through other comments.

Personally, despite being critical of AW at times, I would like to see him see out this contract at least. If things are not really going according to plan then that is probably the time for change.

If, however, we have stepped up a massive level to that top echelon, (as is still very possible despite some fans claiming we will never win the EPL or ECL under AW), then I would still consider an extension beyond this contract.

Would I consider a change at the end of this season? Sadly I probably would if it is really all going very wrong. It would likely have to be if there was serious discontent from our top players, looking to leave because they no longer believed in our ability to mount a challenge for the top prizes. This would actually undo all the building of this side that AW has crafted himself, and If it was the case that a new manager with a serious reputation would keep said players at the club then I would consider this possibility.

So in short I am getting splinters in my arse sitting on the fence, although I am still leaning more into Arsene’s garden 🙂

I have been as disappointed as most in some of our performances and results, and feel there is a lot that the manager and the players could do better in, but I still feel we have a very talented and strong squad.

With this in mind I would just take a look at this disastrous season so far highlighting the following points:

We won the community shield beating, the much heralded, last years EPL champions.

We are 3 points off the top of the league having been largely cheated out of points by the officials in both the Liverpool and Chelsea games. With those extra points we could and probably should be top of the league, and that is without even properly clicking into gear yet….but hang on a second… how often have we heard this situation referred to as a positive in Fergies Utd or Maureens Chavs, that they are right up there before they have even hit anything near top gear.

Correct me if I am mistaken (and I am not sure) but I thought we are still the best team in the EPL in the whole of 2015 to date. In that I mean we have the most points. Maybe I am wrong in this, possibly in relation to Utd or City, but we must at least be within a couple of points of being able to claim this.

We are in the CC having knocked out our bitter rivals away from home.

We haven’t started our defence of the F.A cup that we have won 2 years back to back, and also boast the proud record of having won more than any other team in history. This proud record has Arsene Wenger’s reign a huge amount to thank for it’s attainment.

We have slipped up in the ECL but I am one that still thinks we will progress, likely in the end with no difference in where we end up in the knock out phases.

As and when the time comes for change then I would look to see what the situation is with Guardiola, Klopp and Ancelotti. Until then my jury is out till the end of the season, or at the very least till much later in it.

100. I was attending my late aunt’s 100th birthday celebration at a golf club in a northern London suburb and met Frank MacLintock there.

Bet I can name the Golf Club Norfolk 🙂 Night night all.

102. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,GoonerB, Thank you very much for a very detailed comment, I have to say that there is not a lot to argue with, you explained it well.
    Fans are a fickle bunch of people, Many believe that consistency should be left alone, while others feel that top spot is the goal and should they feel that the answer is a change of Manager or change of staff, of course they should have that freedom to express it.

I realise that our present Manager will eventually move on, be it at the end of the season or at the end of his contract, Yes in my opinion i feel he has been pretty good for us and his record is as good as many, But time waits for no man and when its time, he will have to move on, all Managers do. Your comment GB has been laid out sympathetically. You acknowledge the man’s past but also realise that change in inevitable.

I do get touchy when supporters are adamant that the man is not the right man for the job and vent their frustrations, but of course they are entitled to their opinions.

At this present time, as you have stated we are in reasonable position in the league, we are progressing in the cup, but we are struggling in Europe, We finished high up in the League last season and Won the charity shield and FA cup, so i fail to see why the Manager is getting so much stick now.

I have to apologise to Herbs Army, he had a different view to mine and if i speak the truth he had a habit of what i felt upsetting people, Herb has as much right as anybody else to comment, and i apologise to him now, should he come back which i feel he will, and if he reads this, I an sorry Herb, i let my anger out and was personal a no no on blogs such as this, it was not my place to be personal. Wenger’s a touchy subject with me, but that is no excuse,

“Ordinarily, when Arsenal lose, we will identify a pre-existing bias and fly it from a mast as “the reason.” If you are pissed about transfers, transfers will be the reason for every defeat, every goal conceded. If you hate the manager, a new manager is always the answer. If you really lack originality, you might nod sagely and say that it’s down to “tactics” or “mentality” or some other grandiose, nebulous term and you’ll hope against hope that nobody will ask you to expand on it. But that is a waste of imagination. None of us actually know, so let us don tinfoil hats and speculate wildly. Arsenal in Europe is a performance art of the absurd, so let us enter this entente in that spirit.”

Right, who can I engage with on here all day until my blood boils and I can take it no more, but will still go on just in case I can achieve full heart attack status?

“Chill out fellas”

Ooo Chas
    Whoever wrote that sounds like a smooth talking champagne socialist 🙂

Vid vid vid and cats or dogs, not bothered

Sounds like common sense to me.
    Definitely nothing to do with either politics or hypocrisy.

Wow, superb start to the day

Yeahhhh, I know about common sense and all that, but being ok with everything all the time is a bit dull. I love it when people get all hot and bothered. Eddie’s comment yesterday was my favourite by far.

Full heart attack status ,micky (no you don’t really want that ;: )

Aye, Eddie was going to buy my season ticket because I’m such a disappointing supporter. This plan lasted a couple of hours at most. 🙂

Gotta go.

Ahoy Crystals
    Bet the outlook for Sunday looks grim 🙂

“Arsenal in Europe is a performance art of the absurd, so let us enter this entente in that spirit.” (Arseblog)

It makes you think doesn’t it?

Good cat vid this morning, I suppose he should be called Monkey Cat.

Chas – how much?

Morning all, I think that most of our early season dodgier performances are mostly down to tactics. What did you say Chas? That makes me an original? 🙂

Fine vid and further proof that cats are shit.

What shall I do on Sunday afternoon? There is no way I’m watching footy. I’m no Crystals but I predict Black sunday

Raddy – i took my 3 dogs and 1 cat for vaccinations yesterday. Only the cat behaved, dogs were a disgrace trying to eat the vet, screaming before he touched them with a needle. …idiots

That is because your cat is stupid and doesn’t understand that needles are bad.

😆😆😆 maybe

122. Red Arnie says:

sorry, folks, could not bear myself to return to AA after Tuesday. 😦 Not that I have not cast a couple of furtive glances to see what was going on. 😛

I read GB’s fantastic post-match sombre thoughts, well done GB, 🙂 but none of the comments. Apols. But could not bear myself to discuss what was a very disappointing performance. 😦

I read Steve’s thoughts on the managerial future and the stoic philosophical look ahead to a bright(er) future. 🙂 Great work, Steve. I have calmed down a bit now. Thank you. 🙂

Raddy,

Did you get my message re my potential Post, which is languishing at the bottom of yesterday’s Post?

Eddie/Raddy
    Quality cat/dog comments 🙂

How’s the arm Micky?

I did Young RA.

Then ignored it.

Didn’t really 😉

It is in the loading bay

GB
    OK. Stitches out next week I think. They said 12 effing weeks of no pressure though. Oh well.

“Young RA”
    Raddy, I guess when you’re in your 80’s pretty much everyone is young 🙂

After that Micky come and join me for some rehabilitation. Nothing like a bit of camel worming to improve the strength and dexterity in the upper limbs.

I actually told Mrs Didit about you
    Maybe a look at the FFB before the Bayern home leg if youre going
    i’m meant to be. With a German. Achtung

12 weeks of leisure? No cooking or cleaning or gardening, or shopping? I’m off on my bike x

Noooo Eddie, don’t go near the wretched things
    19th century contraptions is what they are
    I blame this modern fad squarely on the shoulders of that Bill Wiggins bloke and our own LB

134. stevepalmer1 says:

Football is such an easy game, kick to one end then the other, sounds simple doesn’t it so why the hell do we care so much.
    Micky has a bad break his been in pain and yet the man still makes you laugh with funny comments,

Terry even after a bad result can come on here and tell us a story that appertains to the match but then takes your mind off it.

Eddie of course picks her times, she says it as it is, then takes the dog out, RA eats dictionaries for breakfast, he must have so much upstairs, he never seems to get flustered,Arnie of course, i call the wicker man as he must have travelled further than his namesake, he gets the hump and gets over it with a long haul. The admin of course keep on an even keel they know when to step in and also when to rap knuckles. for the ones i have not mentioned you will not get off as you all throw a spanner now and again.

AA can be a happy place but matchdays can get to all of us, this Sunday we will be buzzing, by the evening we will either be chatting or burying our heads i go for the chatting

7:54 how much?
    8:03 definitely not watching Sunday’s game.

Well, that plan lasted 9 minutes this time. 🙂

There is a New Post

GoonerB
    That quote from the Tim Stillman article obviously didn’t apply to you as it said something about hoping no-one asks for further details and you having to expand on it. 🙂