Walcott to continue his scoring Streak

Back on the bike after a nasty fall in Zagreb; we need to win to have a chance of reaching the knockout stages. Even Mr Wenger says so.

Olympiakos shouldn’t be in the competition and it is only due to UEFA’s incompetence (read corruption) that we play them tonight. They were under investigation and the very day after UEFA accepted them into this years CL their MD was arrested for 5 counts of match fixing. Such is the manner in which the football governing bodies work. It is a disgrace. Imagine that happening in in the PL – Platini would have permanently banned an English team from the CL.

But, they are here and we play them in a very important game in our season; lose and the Fat Lady is doing her vocal exercises.

Our record against the Bubbles is strange – we always beat them at home and always lose away. Perhaps it is the food – Moussaka-Gate??

Our team should be strong and I think AW will not make the 6 changes that ruined our chances in Zagreb – though both he and I maintain it was a poor performance as opposed to poor selection

My Guess:

Cech

Bellerin    Gabriel    Kos     Gibbs

Ramsey     Santi  Coq (if fit)    Sanchez

Ozil

Walcott

If Le Coq is unavailable I would like to see Ramsey play further back and OC on the right. It may be a bit too attacking but I expect Olympiakos to παρκάρετε το λεωφορείο.

We have 4 days to recover before our big weekend game so no concerns about exhaustion

I have written about Olympiakos visits to the Emirates three times over the years always predicting a win and so far have always been right. Tonight should be no exception.

I am 79% confident

COYRRG

252 Responses to Walcott to continue his scoring Streak

Cheers, BR.
    Let’s hope they leave the back door open. 🙂

Thanks Raddy – was the first line for Micky? 🙂

There will be plenty of support for the ‘bubbles’ from North London tonight. They are flying in their league at the moment but like you, I expect them to adopt the standard strategy and PTB with a view to hitting us on the break.

We didn’t find the antidote to this approach last season, but then we had OG up front., which I believe is one reason we go for the slow build up. Hopefully we will continue to get the ball forward more quickly and maximise Theo’s abilities even at the cost of losing possession.

3. RC78 says:

I would play a different line-up vs Olympiakos:

Cech – Debs, BFG, Kos, Monreal – Ox, Ramsey, Santi – Campbell, Walcott, Sanchez

I would rest Bellerin, not take a chance on Coq and also rest Ozil.

It is so stupid to already have Flamster and Arteta and Wilshere and Rosicky out…because we could have done with one or two of them starting tonight.

I would play Campbell because he knows the Greeks and also he can create chances for Walcott if he plays a bit more on the right wing and with Ox support, it should work out…

4. Red Arnie says:

Nice one, Raddy. 🙂

Yes, the Greeks are good at parking the bus. And Chas’ picture shows exactly which back door we will try and exploit. 🙂

Whichever team plays, we should be able to do it. Provided the good guys turn up with teh right shoes. All to play for. Let us see! 🙂

5. Red Arnie says:

Good call on Campbell, RC. 🙂

Thanks Raddy and I now feel I am fluent in Greek with your little linguistic lesson thrust into the fine post. Perhaps this will help us all to understand Sir Terrance Mancini a bit better 🙂

On more important matters, is anyone gracing the FFB tonight?

Don’t get this love in for Campbell.he is in the last year of a five year contract and only started playing for us last week after a 4 year loan period. Is he an asset, money wise of course.He had a pretty good WC could have played him last season more but we didn’t or we could have sold him at a premium,this is where AW anoys me.Please nobody respond 🙂

Hi Kelsey, was Campbell out on loan for work permit issues or just because AW wanted to see him develop as he wouldn’t get much football with The Arsenal?

GoonerB
    We should be there as usual. 🙂

10. Red Arnie says:

Kelsey. This space thrives on disagreement. Maybe people do not find that much to disagree with you! After all, you have mastered the best way of balancing the (crystal) ball. Like none else! 🙂

Just seen the Uefa Co Efficient table and Italy are just 4,000 points behind England as it stands,If the Italians gain more points then they will take the PL’s 4th place qualifying as it’s hard enough to qualify in 4th place let alone 3rd.Can we get at least third and still manage to qualfy this season for the knockout of the CL stages.Might be a big ask.

Yes Rasp there were work permit issues when we bought him, but surely not for 4 years on a 5 year contract.

Arnie 🙂

12. Red Arnie says:

We should cruise to 3rd or better this year! No worries. Easy. 🙂

There will be a few debacles along the way. But we know how to deal with that. Easy. 🙂

Kelsey. 🙂

13. That’s a good un BR, my only crib with your line-up is Ramsey. His tendency to move infield leaves Bellerin exposed and as his present form is pretty poor I’d leave him on the bench.

If Le Coq is unfit, Chambers would be a better option alongside Cazorla with The Ox on the right.

I would prefer to stick with Monreal for stability reasons but I guess Wenger will be tempted to tinker.

A comfortable win for the Good Guys.

Chas, I bet you have been pining all season for a bit of GoonerB tactical bollix chat in the FFB? Well pine no more my friend 🙂

Live AFC v Olymp U19 on Arsenal Player now (need membership login)

Can’t wait, GoonerB.
    Bound to be highlight of the season so far, overshadowing Leicester away. 🙂

This is written by Mark Holmes on today’s Teamtalk.com. It talks about the fact that today journalists are now expected to also be analysts, hence the exacerbated hype we are now exposed to as supporters.

………………………………………………………………………………………..

With seven games gone, Mark Holmes rates last season’s top six – Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal, Manchester United, Tottenham and Liverpool.

Readers of a certain age will remember the days when league tables were not even printed in newspapers for the opening few weeks of the season, so meaningless were they judged.

Never has patience among supporters been more thin than now, however, with managers under immediate pressure to deliver positive performances and results, irrespective of how big an overhaul their squad might have gone over the summer. Every club in the Premier League is spending more money than ever before – and every set of supporters are expecting very early signs that it has been spent well.

In the media, meanwhile, analysis has taken over from reportage. It is no longer enough for a journalist to merely report on the events of the day; now he or she must declare five things they have learned from a game, no matter how early on in the season it may be, and regardless of how enlightening – or not – the 90 minutes may have been.

It has all helped create a situation whereby players are hailed as superstars or written off as flops within a matter of weeks, managers are deemed ‘under pressure’ after more than a couple of games without a win, and clubs are declared title contenders or also-rans by the end of August.

Now seven games into the new season, what conclusions, if any, can be drawn from the performances of last season’s top six?

………………………………………………………………………………………

You can read his conclusions about last seasons top 6 teams on Teamtalk.com

Raddy I’ll be back later to read your pre – match.

Always so sincere Chas 🙂

20. RC78 says:

Campbell – first two years, issue with permit I think…Then it was to help him develop. The guy played in Greece, Spain, France and he had playing time…

He needs to deliver with us now because he has the talent but I am not sure he has the drive or work ethics to be the big thing…That said, I would play him tonight at home…

Debuchy – Ox – Campbell on the right side
    Monreal – Santi – Sanchez on the left side
    Kos – Ramsey – Walcott through the middle

It should be solid enough to add some misery on the Greeks…

Nice Post, Randy. 🙂

Sadly I had to miss the chit chat this morning, but I suppose it would be remiss of me not to say that Arnie seemed to have ants in his pants and was prepared to take on all comers – especially Norfolk – but then who wouldn’t? 🙂

Once again, reading Rasper’s comments I worryingly found myself agreeing with him once again. This cannot continue – becoming an echo for the ‘realist’ is not what I am designed for. Prepare for battle! 🙂

Nice to see Shard and his pithy comments back on site. [I have not developed a lisp when typing ‘pithy’ either!] 😀

RA
    At least if I disagree with something you’ve written, it means I’ve read it!

24. Red Arnie says:

Chas. 🙂

That’s sacrilege. We are supposed to ignore Redders. Are we not?

Only if he’s talking bollix, Arnie.

26. Red Arnie says:

which is quite rare, right! 😛

Coefficient won’t affect until 2017/18 I believe and also here we need to look at the PL teams performance in the Europa League, Spain have a pretty much unassailable lead in Euro coefficient because they take the Europa properly, perhaps when it happens the English FA will look at the issues within fixture congestion for teams entering the CL and Europa League….no doubt Friday night football from next season may be a possibility, but the FA should look at the request to televise Chavs v Arsenal in the week after CL at midday and refuse it and make it Monday night or last game on Sunday.

28. Red Arnie says:

Redders. Just because you seem to concur with Rasp most of the time does not mean you can be a free-rider. Leaving Rasp to peddle all your bollix. 🙂

29. Red Arnie says:

hmmm. GiE. You have high expectations of the FA! 🙂

Thanks Raddy I also feel very confident about us winning today. I really don’t see ant issue with playing our top 11 today as we have 4 days before we line up to beat Man U at the Emirates on Sunday.

To hope that the FA will do anything to change the PL scheduling to accommodate the CL is something of a pipe dream.

Chas is that a picture of Spurs new team bus at 9:55am ?

3-2 to the Arsenal under 19s at 64 mins.

Redders – you need to see a therapist double quick 🙂

I had hoped my bollix was unique – even I don’t agree with most of it 😕

34. Red Arnie says:

Rasp. ha ha ha. “even I don’t agree with most of it”

you know what, most of us can probably agree with that sentiment. 🙂

35. Red Arnie says:

GN5. 🙂

Bollix? Bollix? Me, myself, I? How could anyone be so cruel, unkind and dismissive? 🙂

Cut to the quick and all that stuff!

Arnie,

I obliquely surmised that you must have ants in your pants for your amusing display of brio in sorting out everyone today, however, I must adjust that observation by concluding instead that you must have a buzz in your boxers don’t let Cockie Doodle know. 😀

OK,

As my memory needs a little tweaking nowadays, given the big 4-Oh is receding in the rearview mirror, I need to make a list of those I enjoy teasing.

Let me see; Oh, yes; In no particular order;

Terry Titmouse
    There’s a Cockie in my soup
    Rasp and Rattle
    Micky the Fish
    Barmie Arnie
    GoonerB Darned
    The King of Norfolk
    Chas
    Randy Hippo
    Opaque Crystals
    Stevie Boy Give us a Fish
    Herb Ivore
    Arsey 78
    Well just about everybody

And no teasing, out of respect for meritorious seniority; or femininity

GN fünf
    Evonne Eddie
    Peaches [and Mum]

If I am not totally ignored after that — it must be the fairy dust I sprinkled. 😀

Highly sexist Redders 🙂

Arnie at 3 p.m.

You said to Exile; “GiE. You have high expectations of the FA!”

I think you will find that he has FA expectations of the FA.

I never tease the Exiled big man because he is an accountant!
    Oh, yeah — if you believe that will save him ……. 😀

Thanx Raspy,

I do like a bit of highly sexy sexy. 😀

42. Red Arnie says:

“he has FA expectations of the FA”. 🙂

RA, I have a very thick skin but a very low level of tolerance for anything that is anti Arsenal – but teasing is fine.

44. stevepalmer1 says:

Evening all,
    Nice one Raddy, Always a good start of the day with a Raddy PM, only i have just tuned in, so have not yet read the comments.

You sound quite confident Raddy, a high percentage point makes a change for you, you must be in the know 🙂

Arsenal at home, should be a game in the bag, but and theres always a but. What team will be picked and what team will show up.

Of course i am confident, as i always am, io have thought about this game all day and wondered how Wenger will play it. Why the hell do we always have a must win game following this one, is it just coincidence or what.

If i start to go down that road, i dont know where it will lead so perhaps best just to concentrate on the game at hand, I stand by my decision that i always say field the best team we have available. Sod the resting, A Champions league game would have brought the hairs on the back of my neck upright had i have had a chance, so i can only assume the players who are fit and able, have raised their hands and said yes please Boss.

I would have brown nosed, made him coffee brought him an apple even shine his shitty shoes, playing in the most prestigious competition football has baring world cup, but boy i would have wanted not to be left out.

Whether players still feel the same way , i doubt it but they should, cause once your career is over, only memories.

I am going with a win, dont think there will be many goals but i could be wrong, just hope they are all ours and in their net not ours. ,

Right. I am home, have a bottle of red open and am mentally prepared.

Just got to go through my physical warm up (at least two glasses) and will be ready for kick off.

Raddy
    “Back on the bike”.
    No. Never 🙂
    Thanks for a great PM, I’m interenetted up and rip roaringly ready.

47. Red Arnie says:

Never say never, Micky. 🙂 Otherwise we will send LB your way to offer a rigorous training regime. 🙂

Bangers and Mash for supper. Beat that!

49. Red Arnie says:

Muffin and a stiff double espresso now. Lamb curry, grilled pangas and pasta later. together with single cask single malt. mmmm. 🙂

Never, Arnie

For sport ok, as a means of transport, certain death awaits. I was lucky.
    It’s a battle out there on the highways. Being unarmed is foolish. One man, no armour, and a simple two wheeled device versus one ton of metal. No contest. I’M OUT

Or rather I’m “doing a Sol” and switching to the winning side

52. Red Arnie says:

oh sh*t! were you hit by a giant, Micky? didnt know, sorry. 😦

53. Red Arnie says:

Nudged, or rather squeezed, Arnie, but the intent was evident. 🙂
    Ok, off to feast

55. Red Arnie says:

Team News

Arsenal v Olympiakos (19:45 BST)
    Beebs Posted at 18:46

Petr Cech is left out of the Arsenal side tonight as David Ospina looks to have been given the ‘cup keeper’ role.

Ospina in goal. Wouldn’t have been my choice on his current form.

57. Red Arnie says:

Monreal, Rambo rested. The Ox starts

58. Red Arnie says:

From Arseblog.

Arsenal: Ospina, Bellerin, Koscielny, Gabriel, Gibbs, Coquelin, Cazorla, Oxlade-Chamberlain Alexis, Ozil, Walcott

Subs: Cech, Mertesacker, Debuchy, Ramsey, Monreal, Chambers, Campbell

Olympiacos: 11 blokes

Subs: 7 more

59. Red Arnie says:

Giro suspended, I hope Theo can deliver the goods. This is the test! At least for me.

COYG. 🙂

So Cech rested – daft!! – unless Ospina has been promised (contractually) he can play cup games. And if he has then that is daft!

The problem with Ospina is as fundamental as the problem with Giroud. Ospina is too short to ever be a top keeper in the modern game in the same way Giroud is too slow 😦

61. Red Arnie says:

bollix, Rasp. COYG. 🙂

Arnie, don’t confuse any of my comments with a lack of support for The Arsenal – quite the contrary 🙂

63. Red Arnie says:

Never, Rasp. I know that. But as I have said earlier …. 🙂

Focus now. Let the boys chosen to put the shirt on give their best. 🙂

And on the bright side…..

Ox, Mesut, Santi and Theo 🙂

Ok, are we allowed to play really deep and get some space for the speedsters?

66. Red Arnie says:

Micky. 🙂

67. Red Arnie says:

Got it
    Fill our penalty area with sand. They’re Greek, will think they’ve spotted a beach, and forward they’ll come

You see Rasp “Arsene always Knows”

70. Red Arnie says:

Olympiakos XI: JimEnez, Elabdellaoui, da Costa, Siovas, Masuaku, Domínguez, Cambiasso, Kasami, Sebá, Ideye, Pardo

So plenty of high balls into the box so that our huge forwards can head them in lol

Sorry GN5, I support Arsenal, unfortunately Arsene doesn’t always ‘know’ – cast your mind back to the Zagreb game

Bangers and mash sounds great to me Micky – I hope you also have baked beans and a crusty seedy loaf to go with it ?

Slight calf problem, my arsenal

That’s the one Crystals.
    Just like Alexsis does 🙂

Rasp he knew but the players let him down!!

GN5
    Cigar
    Bangers, mash and beans 🙂
    Superb it was

Rasp/Kelsey – you are just a couple of dooms day merchants!

Tell you what, it’s not hard to get a good banger, but good potatoes harder. Certainly not supermarket

Come on Rasp, what was on your pre match menu?

Oh boy Micky – I used to smoke hand rolled Havana cigars and sip on Macallan during every game – but now I have to save whats left of my lungs and liver.

82. Red Arnie says:

anytime else but not just before a tense game, please. 😛

COYRRG.

Grow your own spuds Micky – it’s so easy and great for the soil.

But we have Coquelin back 🙂

Yes GN5, my sensitive inner bits have retired too 🙂

I’m off downstairs with my son, nice big bottle of red wine from Chile – undecided on dinner yet – maybe cod and chips.

Rasp
    I reckon that’s our strongest attacking XI (goalkeepers don’t count 🙂 )

88. The Cockie Monster says:

Quickest Arsenal team ever ?…………from back to the front …..pace !.

Micky mine are also a tad retarded.

True Cockie
    I love the team. Speed matters

micky didn’t fall off a bike, he was pushed!
    RA – why are you not teasing me, because of my age or sex?

Great PM raddy, shame it is not a bit longer. is that right – we win away and lose at home to Bubbles? Strange

I don’t know any of their players. I thought Dutch traitor was playing for them

92. The Cockie Monster says:

Spuds are for Spursdays !.

Eddie hi

I grow my own spuds, plenty of them. Anya are my best croppers

hi 🙂

did Emanuelle play for Olympiakos?

96. The Cockie Monster says:

Yes Micky ….pace !…..having Arteta, Mertsnailer and Giroud is like playing with a 3 legged Tortoise !.

ha ha and true

It really might be the fastest team ever as you say

With Le Coq in front of the back 4 and Gabriel next to Kozzer we really shouldn’t get caught out on the break, a very pacey side as Micky says 🙂

99. In a phug of painkillers still, so I’m on the sofa. Given my ticket to a very grateful young Gooner, hope he brings us luck.

Twitter doesn’t believe Cech has a slight calf strain and I’m not sure I do either but hey.

Do you think sky won’t let the pundits use their studio?

Eddie,

I would never knowingly tease a person with a tough manly name like yours! Arnie might! 😀

Nice one BR

Come on lads!

Hoping for more from Oxo tonight. He’s been a bit naughty lately in my humble…

Actually I think it’s the fastest and the shortest team ever 😆

Peaches how deep do your roots go? When the dentist drills do your toes ache?

Sorry, but something is not right if you are having so much trouble – painkillers are just masking the problem – but what do I know!!
    Sod all, I suppose.

You have my sympathy.

hi Peaches,Rocky RA

coyg

Come on Boys. 5 mins gone and we yet to have a shot.

I had smoked salmon, avocado, shrimps and beansprouts with a nice chilled bottle of Cab Sauv.

Now on the Valpolicella – which has been lucky so far this season

Hiya Micky. 😀

Loving this so far

Well I can’t complain about the pace with which we get the ball forward in this game – scintillating stuff 🙂

Are the state benefits that good in denmark, Raddy

They are a pretty tall team or are we small

Very unlucky with the deflection 😦

Thheeeeeoooooo – that’s my boy 🙂

Theoooo

115. AAAhhhhooooooooooo…ooosspina

I told you last game Ospina has completely lost confidence so why does AW play him.Now we really have a tough job.Don’t believe Cech is injured either.

The genius of wenger – a must win game and he puts ospina in goal. Fecking joke

118. fatgingergooner says:

Özil and Cazorla need to wake up and start controlling this game. As for the goals conceded, what is there to say other than dog shut. Good job we have Sanchez is all I can say.

Gabriel lucky to stay on pitch. Can’t do that in CL games.

A strange half,

We were all over them – and yet ……… ??

120. fatgingergooner says:

I’m not going to correct that. Gunna leave it as dog shut!

No issue with the changes, I have issue with the shocking performances from the players that come in. Is AW supposed to use 1 GK for 50 games a season?

Hi Kelsey,

Rasp made a comment about Ospina’s lack of height – and at 6′ he is not tiny, but he is probably the shortest keeper in the EPL.

— The average height of keepers in the EPL is 6′ 3″.
    — The average height of keepers in La Liga, for example, is 6′ 1″.

It’s a moveable feast, of course. 🙂

The average height of the Arsenal team is 5′ 9″ [depending on who plays]

The average height of the Olympiacos team is 6′ 1″ [again depending on who plays]

Averages don’t tell the whole story of course.

RA

one shot on target.All over them. Ospina has been terrible the last few games as I said last week he has got fabianskitis.That really was an awful goal to concede.

Who have we got to change the game. Not only do we have to score 2 but not concede, it’s a big ask.

I thought we were terrible in that half. Passing between our front men was abysmal apart from Sanchez to Theo for the goal.

It is time for Ozil to show what a great player he is and take some effing responsibility.

As to the defence – the first was just unlucky, the second dreadful keeping, nothing the back 4 can do about either goal.

That is OC’s second OG deflection in two games!

Hi Redders, neither of the goals we conceded were due to height although Ospina cannot be commanding when he is being overshadowed by the opposing forwards

125. fatgingergooner says:

I’d be putting Ramsey on for Ox. His confidence is becoming a real problem for him. He missed an early chance and it just seemed to hit him hard. He needs to sort that out or he’s going to be very inconsistent.

Ospina did blow that 2nd goal — but their keeper let us equalise with a soft shot/deflection.

Raddy apparently we’ve scored 7 own goals in the last 7 games 😦

Rasp. Great stat!

I don’t agree with you FGG. Oxo is doing fine – and to start dropping him for what you perceive as a lack of confidence is just wrong.

Come on – it’s just half time – all is not yet lost.

Ok, first we need to equalise without conceding. With a draw we can still get through although it may be out of our hands

kelsey. 8.08 Don’t be so cheeky 🙂

I agree about the bench, we have no-one who can change the game for us. I keep harping on about Ramsey being essential to the team and once again when he is subbed we are losing

I think Ox is great going forward and that’s it.Bayern 4-0 up already.

Come on boys, you can do this!!!!!p>

Well
    Lots of dark orange chocolate later and clearly we can score two in this half

So let’s get out and score some goals

COYG

135. We’ve got a Dutch Mike Dean here…

136. Ozil off… bring on Rambo

This is good stuff, we need to get the ball in their box at our feet, there must be a penalty in this game for us

Hello Micky

All good – we’re going to win.

139. fatgingergooner says:

Great. Our defence has just gone off!

Damn. No Koscielny for MU

141. fatgingergooner says:

Coq off. Can see us conceding again tonight

Did you see that Kelsey?
    354 passes by Arsenal so far tonight – double the number made by Olympiacos.

And we are still murdering them – just unlucky not to score c’est la vie.

Yessssss

Great ball from Theo, great header by Alexis, come on boys remember monaco

145. fatgingergooner says:

Theo’s a RW for me! Haha

Oh god no, we forgot about Monaco 😦 😦

147. fatgingergooner says:

We are awful in defence. Like watching us 5 years ago.

Shitballs
    Two more then

149. Well….. maybe 4 – 3

Well at least we didn’t score that one for them. Appalling defending

That was off-side. Bugger.

Sanchez is too good for this team. Thursday night here we come.

153. fatgingergooner says:

our attackers must hate our defenders!

Kels – you are reading my mind tonight. I wonder what is the likely destination for sanchez next summer

155. fatgingergooner says:

Need to hope they tire and somebody has to step up.

Not that it is much consolation but the Chavs are losing 2:1 at the mo’.

Levandowski has scored a hat trick for Bayern – who are winning 5 : 0

I think Ozil needs to look at himself after tonight or maybe that’s just him. Even if we win this team really is going backwards compared to the way we finished last season and only United on Sunday.

158. I’ll settle for 3 – 3

That was shit from Ospina, he had 3 Arsenal players he could have passed to

160. fatgingergooner says:

Can’t believe what I’ve seen tonight. Olympiacos are shit, our squad players are worse.

Dynamo were just as bad,oh well roll on the Carling Cup. Goodnight.

162. It’s srill ok… we’ve only got Bayern in the next game ha a ha ha

Well played Olympiakos – a fantastic rearguard performance.

I don’t know what to say about AFC. Puzzling.

I only watched the last half hour, saw Alexis score and called their winner as soon as they broke.

Pretty awful watching and yes I know Ospina chucked one in……everyone was right.

But pretty unimpressed with what happened after we equalised and what I saw of us after they scored the winner.

Mugabe media lockdown for at least 48 hours

165. fatgingergooner says:

fuming.

Most of our players were OK apart from Ozil, and Opsina.

Sanchez was brilliant. We played far better when Ramsey came on

Oh dear
    Very disappointing
    Ummm errrr
    Cat vid?

GIE. I blame you for talking Europa, perhaps the team read the blog and thought it may be fun for a change

Mugabe Lockdown is a fine idea.

Good night

oh well, that way we can watch the CL on Wednesdays and our team on Thursdays .LB will miss most of the games

feck that, hate wenger for ospina

171. fatgingergooner says:

Got to start asking serious questions about where this squad is going. A few changes and it all falls apart. That’s bullshit.

Seen it all before though. Who cares if we beat United or not at the weekend? We aren’t going to win the league with this group but will probably finish top 4. Lucky us. Another pointless CL season to look forward to. Seriously, where is this team going?

172. Red Arnie says:

before lockdown, just one thing to do. apologise to Rasp. you are proved right. 😦

Sadly, there is a strong feeling of deja vu watching that — season after season we seem to have had more than our fair share of frenetic non-productive games with dreadful defending – against supposedly ‘rubbish’ teams who turn out to be world class – at least at the Emirates. 😦

174. Well , all I will doing on my blog this week is posting photos of naked women…. no fecking football talk.

175. fatgingergooner says:

I suppose if we don’t spend the money to push on then why should I be shocked that our squad isn’t strong enough to compete for a full season. Top 4, last 16 of CL and a cup run is probably our level so I shouldn’t be too annoyed when that proves to be the case every season.

Poor defending tonight. We tried going forward but nobody on the bench to turn it around. Again, says it all about our squad.

Agree about Alexis being too good for us. Looked a different level to the rest of our players tonight.

176. It’s official Ospina own goal. Why Wenger? Why is Ospina playing?

Alexisssssssss

177. Red Arnie says:

we have to win the double bill. home and away. and hope for the best.

In the last half hour I watched there were some truly dreadful decisions being made by the man in possession, Sanchez was the only player in our front line who came close to providing an aerial threat which made it very easy for Olympiakos to defend, let us have it out wide keep as many bodies central as possible. I did actually like the way we tried to break through with runners from deep but really only Sanchez was offering any kind of option to play a wall pass off.

Quick bit of maths says we need to beat Bayern at home and win our last two giving us 9 points. That might not be enough as if Olympiakos or Zagreb win their next two they will also have 9 and have the chance of facing an already qualified Munich to progress, all we can hope is Zagreb and Olympiakos take some points off each other in the next two and we get at least a win. We have made it very hard for ourselves.

179. fatgingergooner says:

We can still qualify. We have to beat Zagreb and Olympiacos and then get a point against Bayern, and hope Zagreb and Olympiacos draw their double headers or win one each.

We need Bayern to hammer the others home and away.

Playing like this though, we haven’t a prayer.

180. Does Ramsey think he’s playing rugby? Forward passes are allowed in football.

181. By the way, I’m watching a recording.

182. Shard says:

Just when we seem to have found some attacking qualities, it seems we’vd forgotten how to defend. Injury to koscielny is just adding injury to insult.

The first goal came off a corner conceded due to confusion between our defenders, and ox trying to jump out of the way rather than defend the shot. The second goal was bad but hard to say it’s not been coming the way ospina has been dropping the ball. Though in this case he dropped it because he was carrying it into goal. Didn’t help.

I still thought we could win and more importantly, I think the team did too. Heads didn’t drop after that triple save and when alexis got that goal we had all the momentum. Then our defense just let them walk through. I was worried that would happen even before they broke. But even then it amazed me how terrible that was.

That broke our spirit, finally. I mean we tried till the end, but I didn’t think the playera believed anymore.

So much for Micky’s all out attack stance.

Seems like we’ll ne heading out of the group stage this year after all. Though this team is bonkers enough to go on to beat Bayern now.

So we beat Bayern, Zagreb beat Olympoakos

O 3

Then it’s crunch time BM beat O, A beat DZ

BM 12
    DZ 9
    A 6
    O 3

BM will need a draw to progress as winners and we need to beat a beaten O

Maybe it’s better like this

A beat BM, DZ draw with O

BM 12
    A 6
    DZ 5
    O 5

Then all we have to do is beat O……easy 😀

184. stevepalmer1 says:

Ah well Raddy was right, Theo did score, he also missed a few but when doesn’t he, when a challenge comes in he shudders. Ozil may pass well, but deep down he has no bottle.

But that wasn’t why we lost, resting players, and then bringing them on seems to defeat the object.

Had we started with our best team we may well have won. The Greeks have watched us play, no doubt about that. Solid bus parking, defeats us every time, why cross the ball when nobody is in the middle, That’s why we pass and pass and pass.. I found tonight slightly boring, all build up and no result. Many will blame Ospina, no reason to, he was going backwards and had he not dropped the ball, would have carried the ball in anyway. I would have given the goal on what i saw on the angles i saw, i had no doubts .

We was pressed by the better side on the night, we had no answer to their defence, as we have every time we meet the same kind of defending. Champions league trophies are seldom won with a team that make many changes. Our fate was set in our first game, we unbalanced the side, and i don’t believe it has been balanced ever since .

These defeats have nothing to do with the transfer window, In my opinion we had the players to win these games, but used them wrongly. We have been stuffed twice by teams we should have beaten, Our next token CL games can now be played by our reserves, as we have no chance, I can see another defeat this Sunday, the players are down beaten and confused, that’s what changes do.

185. fatgingergooner says:

Group finishes

BM 18
    A 6
    O 6
    DZ 6

We go through on better goal difference in games. That Theo goal in DZ could prove very important.

Any points against Bayern at home and we can be confident.

We just have to pray that neither O or DZ win both their head to heads.

Blimey – bit doomy on here.

We shot ourselves in the foot, but this team is capable of beating Bayern twice and it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if we did.

The Greeks’ third was shocking defending – on the part of our midfielders and attackers who seem all to have stayed up the pitch.

I hope we finish 2nd or 4th. Sp*rsday nights are not for us.

187. Oh bollocks!

The game’s just finished on my recording.

188. Apologies to your mum Peaches, if she’s still up.

189. fatgingergooner says:

Steve,

The reason we come across this bus parking is not because teams know how to beat us, it’s because we don’t take our early chances and then concede stupid goals. In Zagreb Giroud should’ve had 2 goals before they got a lucky deflected goal off Ox. With a 1-0 lead it’s easy to defend deep and break.

Tonight Ox missed early when he was clean through. We got level twice but conceded stupid goals again thus letting them take the lead and get back to defending.

If we go up in games then it’s far easier to control and we can defend more as a unit instead of chasing the game. Attackers and defenders are all to blame after that.

Deeeeeepresssinggggg………………………….

OK, over that…………….

We will probably win in Sunday

191. The Cockie Monster says:

I cant get emotional about a competition that I know we wont win and is basically a cash cow…….does anyone really get excited about these group stage games ?……………now if we lose or draw against Manshafter on Sunday………… then I`ll be upset and fuming………….which going by our recent league form against them is a forgone conclusion !…………Rooney will score as per usual and Martial will prove that he really was available for sale !.
    Wake me up when we scrape into 4th on another last game of season Squeaky Bum Sunday !.

That’s true, Olympiacos didn’t come to park the bus, there was so much space to start with the only thing that was missing was Matt Damon in his new film the Martian.
    We simply didn’t take out chances and when they went ahead they naturally tried to defend their lead.

193. The Cockie Monster says:

All I want is to slap Van Gaal in the face with a frying pan 3 goal advantage win on Sunday to move above them !. The league and FA Cup is all I dream of…….proper traditional stuff……………………..why bother going all the way to Germany for a trip up Wank mountain when you can have decent one behind the Sofa over here !………………the CL is dead to me !.

194. fatgingergooner says:

Rotation will be the main topic tomorrow, but it just highlights bigger problems.

Not enough recruitment, no leaders, no power, nobody who can put their foot in, no height, no defensive responsibility, no consequences to poor performances. The list goes on and has done for a while under Wenger.

So all the permutations will come out as to how we can qualify after only 2 games. I reckon at best we might get 4 or 5 points in total so Thursday it is.

This will have a dramatic effect on some players future ambitions Sanchez and Ozil in particular. Revenue will be down and we will have a fight for a top 4 place not that it really means anything.
    Wenger just has to go for so many reasons,he can’t continue to live on past glory.Sad but it’s a reality. We have a paper thin squad and it’s alarming how many goals we have already conceded in all competitions to teams who on paper we should wipe the floor with.

196. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning All.
    Still seething after last night. I sat in the chair after the game and felt like shit. I kept going over the game in my mind, trying to work out how we have let ourselves down.

Now this is a competition we have been involved with since it started, and we have learned nothing. We may of course not have the team to actually win it, but we should have the experience to get through this stage.

When a top club, as i believe we are, sets our stool out, worrying who our next game is, before actually playing the first, and then save players, then we have no rights being in the comp in the first place.

Arsene Wenger knows more about Managing than any of us will ever know, He i believe does things that i cannot comprehend. He does these things because he feels that is the best way to survive the season, but it takes a cleverer man than me to understand his methods.

How can somebody like me, criticise someone with his vast experience. All i can say is that this time he has left me speechless. We are six games into our premier league season, Yes there have been other comps and internationals, some players played in comps in the close season, there was the Asian cup, the emirates cup the community shield., so a few more games played, than just six in the premier. But where we have our first team, when i say that i mean our very best team, shouldn’t we try and stick with that team as well as we could.

Of course we have injuries, Jack and Danny but like many other clubs we have to adapt, but still play your strongest to stand any chance at all. I hate to criticise the Manager over bad results as he has a job to do, but to worry about the next game before we have played the coming game is a little beyond my comprehension.

The changes he Made in our first CL game surprised me , changes again for Chelsea changes again for Tottenham and again with Leicester, has me baffled, i am sure the players are equally confused as well.

Sundays game, will he worry about the game after that one when he selects his team , i don’t know, i haven’t a clue, and if i speak honestly i am beginning to not care to much.either.

Why we worry about games we haven’t played has me confused, weakened teams means losses , saving a player for another game then using them when the result looks ominous has my head spinning. I thought i knew a bit about football obviously, not enough.

I forgot to say morning to all and Steve.

Some people don’t like to read or comment when we lose or play badly or invariably both but I am not at all surprised as we haven’t been convincing all season bar the Stoke game.
    Ramsey is totally out of form and The Ox isn’t quite ready as yet but on the other hand can play in a more relaxed manner for England.
    Ozil is a great player with vision second to none but I am beginning to have my doubts if he really benefits us as a EPL player.
    Sanchez, what can you say.he is fantastic, energy levels are fantastic and even when not at his best always gives 100% which can’t be said of some players.
    Ospina will be the one who comes under the spot light and as we have all seen he has lost all his confidence and authority he showed before he joined us.Is he another Fabianski who never recovered his form at Arsenal after that dreadful performance away in the CL (sorry forgot who it was)
    Support goes without question but AW is becoming increasingly frustrating to understand his logic yet we all know whtever happens this season his job is safe.
    As I said a few days ago, one more injury and we are really short of options, that was apparent from the bench we had last night especially in attack.
    To concede a minute after equalising is a cardinal sin and neither of these two teams we have met so far in Europe are world beaters.
    It really is a time for concern, that’s the reality.

Sorry to send you to sleep chas 🙂

199. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning Kelsey,
    don’t know what has got int o Wengers head, anybody else would have gone all out for the points in the two weaker games and just hope for a draw in the others, but to unsettle a team of players in this fashion is football suicide.

Arsen apparently got touchy after the game ended, no wonder when you have no answers. I believe he has out smarter himself and has only himself to blame, I have no sympathy this morning

Great to see GoonerB and his pal before the game for some liquid refreshment.
    As with several recent Champions League nights, it was, far and away, the best part of the evening.

p.s. I wasn’t implying you were a doughnut with that last entry in this morning’s random, annoy the shit out of everyone, photo selection.

Arsene was touchy? Damn right he was and should be. We lost at home to an inferior team. We made stupid mistakes throughout the game. We conceded 3 goals at home (when was the last time?). We will probably not make the next stage.

If I am touchy, and I am, then AW will be incandescent

Everyone yesterday (it seemed) was in agreement that rotation or swivelling was in order – in moderation.

The team that played last night seemed like a regular first team with those left out were Giro (suspended), Mert (returning from injury), Monreal (takes turns with Gibbs) and Ramsey, so that the only player who stood down was Cech.

It seems to me that all those players have detractors [see Kelsey re Rambo] and welcomed their replacements.

Others ruled out were Arteta and Flambo through injury.

There are also those unconvinced about Cech, and Ospina played all last season – but now there is a huge furore that he played and cocked up.

Ahh – but it seems that Wenger fielded a weakened team – that was why we lost. Come on – we are all disappointed but some of the ‘wise’ explanations for us losing are …….. not.

And good morning. 🙂

204. Good morning grumblers 🙂

If our defence were nervous last night against the bubbles who have only scored a total of 3 goals in their last 12 CL away games , I wonder how they will feel with Lewandowski coming at them full throttle.

205. How terrible is wisdom when it is of no profit to the wise…..

206. I think I will start calling Arsene Wenger….. General Haig

After the whisky?

how come nobody is swearing? I am so angry I cannot string a sentence without a couple of fecks in it

What I cannot understand is Gie and FG trying to calculate how on earth we can still progress to the next stage? Do you really want it? I definitely don’t, enough is enough

Plus, on a brighter side – playing in Europe may do us a world of good, we could even win it

209. fatgingergooner says:

Things to ponder after last night.

Bit worried about how many goals we’ve conceded from set plays or straight after set plays this season.

It’s ok playing Theo instead of Giroud, but you have to realise the effect it has at the other end of the field and try to resolve that another way. Bringing in a 6 foot 2 defensive midfielder would’ve helped!!!

As a box to box CM player I’m not sure what Cazorla is giving us at the moment. He’s not the best tackler and he’s not effecting play at the other end either. If we had a RW I would be playing Ramsey in his position, but we don’t! Ox is too inconsistent and disappears from games too easily. That’s ok if you’ve got Theo’s knack of creating and scoring goals, but he doesn’t. The answer to these problems would be Wilshere or Welbeck, but both are injured! Guess we have to wait for Cazorla or Ox to play themselves into form.

Monreal aside, can our FB’s be relied upon to defend? Their first job is defending, but for a while now it seems all Wenger wants them to do is attack. This goes back further than just the FB’s we have now. It’s one of the reasons we are suspect to counters and one of the reasons why we needed a better DM for so long, to help cover.

Speaking of which, why have we not signed a DM in so many years!? How can Wenger overlook that position for so long? Ridiculous.

Is Özil worth it? He’s a brilliant player and amazing at times, but would we be better served building around someone like Sanchez who drives the team forward? Does Özils inclusion in the team hinder us when we don’t have the ball? I’m not sure.

Why are we trying to give games to a sub GK who is likely to leave in the summer anyway? Maybe Szscesny won’t be coming back afterall? Again, not sure what’s going on there.

With Koscielny injured, I’m really worried about the weekend. He seems to have a knack of covering for others mistakes, but I’m not sure Gabriel will have the same understanding.

Morning all,

Does anyone have the stomach to write a few words for a match report / analysis / feelings?

211. fatgingergooner says:

RA,

Agree about the changes. On paper we should be winning in Zagreb and last night with the teams put out. Wenger should be furious with what he’s getting from some of his senior players in these games. Ospina, Giroud, Debuchy, Arteta and even Ox have been pretty poor in matches recently. Most of them are Internationals with plenty of experience and should be doing far better.

Rasper,

I am not sure there is much point in looking at the nitty gritty of last night, but FGG has put up a comment at 8:29 that could be a post and has plenty for people to deliberate over.

Maybe a couple of lines to say who was playing blah blah at the top of it would give the context? 🙂

214. Shard says:

I don’t get why rotation is the issue here. In both cl games we had teams strong enough to win. When Wenger doesn’t rotate he’s accused of running players into the ground and the cause of them getting injured. Now he does rotate and suddenly that’s wrong.

Naah, the rotation wasn’t the problem, even the injuries were not the problem (though they are A problem). The problem yesterday was poor defending. In fact, terrible defending. Even though I tend to blame the players out there for that, the manager also bears responsibility for it. I get that he supports them, but surely even his patience and belief in them must be close to breaking point.

The player I am most annoyed with today is the Ox. Did he do anything positive in the entire game? He’s got all the ability in the world, but doesn’t seem to know how to use it.

Strangely enough, I’m not as annoyed about Ospina’s own goal. An error like that isn’t really about his ability and shouldn’t define him. But he’s got to improve, or else we bring back Martinez to be backup GK.

At least we lost this match fair and square. I can accept that and somehow never makes me angry. Just sad.

After the opening ten/twenty last night Rasp you said something along the lines that it was good to see the team playing with pace and you couldn’t complain, wouldn’t that suggest that at that point the team was pushing in the right direction? “Scintillating stuff”

FGG you I think answer your question about what Santi brings and why Arsene hasn’t looked for a DM, he would prefer one player who did a bit of both, as you say Santi is wasted deep, but without someone to help Coq bring the ball out I and without the big man up top to feed off we have to sacrifice a midfielder deeper.

As ever and as RA intimates the final score colours our perception of the performance of the manager but apart from the obvious Ospina question mark I can’t see many comments prior to kick off saying the team couldn’t win.

Morning GiE, I did say that and I stand by it, it was highly entertaining. We looked potent and sharp although squandered a couple of early chances. I don’t see why we can’t play with pace and also observe the basics of defending – do you?

I also said before the game that it was daft to play Ospina.

Ospina was a problem. The defence looked nervous, he does not have the commanding presence of Cech. He will never dominate his box because he lacks stature.

The irony is that it was widely reported that Cech chose Arsenal because he wanted to stay in London and have CL football. Had he still been with the chavs he would have played yesterday as their second choice, as it is, he was our first choice and we didn’t play him – madness.

217. ‘morning all,

Not much needs saying about last night.

1) Played wrong ‘keeper.

2) First twenty five-minutes good pacy football, good passing, created a couple of good chances but didn’t take them.

3) From then on all down hill, apart from the Theo and Alexis show.

Jurgen Klopp is available.

218. Will be interesting to see if AW plays Oopspina against Bayern….. I think we will see Cech back in goal.

In answer to Exile’s question, like you Rasper, I thought we were playing lovely flowing attacking football for most of the first half and a chunk of the second half.

Infuriatingly, we go to sleep at free kicks and corner kicks, and breakaways. Olympics were not the rubbish some said they were – they played very well – but we could and should have beaten them, but finishing, as usual, is our Achilles heal.

In the second half the Jolly Green Giant had a terrific volley saved, Cazzor also had two and somehow their defence managed to keep a succession of shots out. Another day one would have gone in – they were better shots than the deflected one they scored from a corner.

Yes, GIE, things were bad because of the consequences on our prospects in the CL, but some of the skill levels we demonstrated were top stuff – just poor conversion into goals – again.

220. Oh come on Soixante Neuf, Wenger is never wrong, he’s never made a mistake in selection or anything else for that matter. Of course he’ll pick Ospina again, probably on Sunday. “eet would kiil heem if ve didn’t show confeedence in hee’s mental strength”.

Hi RA, the mythical “2 – 3 players short” syndrome surfaced again yesterday.

I still feel we need one or two proper leaders on the pitch. Beyond that it was the ‘spine’ that needed reinforcement. We started the summer well with Cech – but then nothing …….

In a perfect world we would have added a CB, a powerhouse of a midfielder and a clinical striker. Obviously that was never going to happen but there were times last night when you could see those weaknesses in the squad.

Agreed, Rasper.

Morning all. Great to see the Vines bros last night, although that Ant and Chas can’t half go on about tactics and formations and stuff :).

Will just cobble together a few words for you Rasp if you give me 20 mins

Not sulking, much work to catch up on.

MY feelings?

Last season we finished 3rd, won the FAC, drew to Antwerp and lost at home to Monaco.

We have the same Manager and didn’t sign any better footballers.

Personally, I was expecting more of the same this season, and that looks about right.

225. fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

‘I don’t blame the players, it is up to the manager to select the right players, to train and prepare them for the game and then to motivate them to perform in that game.’

Seriously?

So the players are not to blame even 1% for what happened on the pitch that they were playing on for 90+ minutes last night?

I’m not saying it’s all the players fault, I’m not even saying its 50/50, but they have to take some responsibility otherwise they don’t deserve to play for Arsenal.

Reminds me of the expression “you can take a horse to water but you can’t make it drink”.

It doesn’t matter how much coaching AW does if the players make stupid mistakes during the game.

As FGG responsibility has to be shared and perhaps we should be looking at the Defensive Coach (whomever he is)

227. Bryan says:

Don’t think the no signings situation has anything to do with it myself,
    Yes we should of made some but that team should be beating Olympiacos whatever.
    For me the buck stops at Wenger, his teams consistently fail to deliver, its happening over & over again.
    I look at the players we have & think we should really be doing so much better on all fronts.

Love Wenger for what he’s done for the club but it is time for change,
    but enough is enough, we need a new manager at end of season !

Morning FGG, of course the players take some of the blame, but the responsibility to build the best squad; to coach and motivate the players lies solely with the manager.

If the players are not up to the job – then get some better ones …. or could it possibly be that AW relies too much on the players’ intelligence and does not give them clearly defined roles and instructions?

229. Shard says:

Bryan

Consistently fail to deliver what? Unexpected losses happen to all teams and all managers. In the larger picture, Wenger is remarkably consistent in delivering at least the bare minimum. Fair enough if you believe that we’ll do better with another manager and the same players. But to say Wenger doesn’t deliver begs the question what is he supposed to deliver.

230. Bryan says:

Come on Shard, what are you talking about ??? it happens to Arsenal more than any of the other top 4.
    I haven’t seen a team with as much talent as we have, not turn up for games so often.
    Anderlecht (Home & away) Monaco (to name just 2 from last season), this year West Ham, Dinamo Zagreb, Olympiacos

231. Shard says:

Rasp

Possibly, to an extent. But I see that on the basis that Wenger has always been a long term manager. He will not sign a player, and then not allow him to grow as a player, not express himself. Players almost always improve under Wenger and those that don’t are actually shipped out.

This has helped Arsenal and arguably harmed Arsenal based on how you look at it. I believe it is more of the former, and that’s backed up by our punching above our weight in financial terms.

Could another manager, or Wenger with another approach have won more trophies in the stadium years, or had fewer setbacks like this one? I think yes. But would that have helped Arsenal be a better, bigger club over the same period? I don’t think so.

Because of the work Wenger has done, we might no longer need a manager like that. We could afford to sign players and discard them every other year. But I don’t think we’re quite at that point yet. Financially. In fact, that just might be why the club are ‘hoarding’ cash. Because they might need to do a ManU LVG act once Wenger leaves.

232. Shard says:

Bryan

It happens to the other clubs. We can look at it dispassionately or just have a laugh and forget about it, but it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

Also, it is a consequence of trying to play football a certain way and build a side not just for the NOW. Like I said to Rasp, at some point we’ll have to go all out for the NOW. But we’re not there yet, and I don’t believe that’s entirely down to Wenger.

Post sent Rasp.Sorry took a bit longer but I kept getting interrupted by work phone calls.

234. What’s happened to GoonerB’s Post Mortem? That’s a long 20 minutes?

235. fatgingergooner says:

Morning Rasp,

Yeah I think there are definite issues within Wenger’s philosophy. On paper we have a great squad but just always seem to lack one or two players come the end of the season, and I don’t see this being any different.

He does seem to put absolute trust in players who don’t seem capable of repaying the faith. Is that a fault with him or with the individuals who don’t step up? Not sure.

When SAF was at United he used to get new coaches in periodically to freshen things up and get new ideas. Has Wenger done enough of that? It must get stale doing the same things over and over.

I just think there needs to be an overhaul of the defensive side of our game. Whether that be tactics, coaching, players or even manager, something has to change for us to stop making the same mistakes over and over again.

236. Just sorting the post back in a bit

237. Oh… there it is LOL

238. New Post everyone …………………….

239. Bryan says:

We have been building a side for years, Now has to come along eventually, the trouble is players get bored of playing for an unsuccessful team & want to leave after time.
    That was why I thought given that we have a lot of money sitting in the bank & we were in CL we had a great opportunity to get a couple of very good players in & that was added to getting a world class goal keeper on the cheap

If delivering means qualifying for a competition we have absolutely no chance of winning each year, well yes Wenger does that, but what’s the point because even all the money it generates doesn’t get spent.

This year it is looking more & more like England may lose its 4th CL place & that will probably mean we miss out.
    & no CL place means harder to sign world class talent if indeed we do actually decide we want to buy someone.

Klopp & Ancelotti are available so would be good timing for Wenger to stand down, or move up stairs 😉