Arsenal Zagreb. Bad Feelings.

I risk my bloody life for Arsenal, and come to think of it, countless other innocent road users as well.

Picture this, and it’s an ugly scene. 1:28 yesterday afternoon, and as I’m driving home I log on to this site and read the word “breather” apparently used by Arsène.

I boiled. The legs became stiff. Car swerved. The Bad Feelings had begun.

Used in any context at all, this word oozes arrogance and complacency. Then, later, I saw the team selection. Okay, it’s at this point in my little story that our paths could diverge. The reason being that you may be a cretin, whereas I am not.

Thing is Arsenal should strive to go as far as they can in the Champions League, whereas a Cretin might think it’s pointless because we’re not going to win it. Utter tosh. Wrong attitude, and never under estimate the opposition.

As for the game, you saw it, so I don’t need to bother with trivial details.

However, as a general point, I do think understanding between players is vital, and none more so than between CB’s and The Keeper. So why rest Cech? Midfield: Coquelin every time, unless that is, you bothered to go out and buy CL Level quality cover. Up top: don’t ask me, ask Mesut and Alexis.

Right, so we are where we are, so let’s just deal with it and no blubbing. CL just got a bit tougher, but we can do it, and we have the very pleasant prospect of beating Chelsea on Saturday.

Written by mickydidit89

132 Responses to Arsenal Zagreb. Bad Feelings.

Cheers, Micky.
    “countless other innocent road users” had me chuckling.

On the positive side, Rambo and Bellerin will be fresh for Saturday. 🙂

2. Thanks micky.

If anyone wants to move their comments from this morning onto this post then be my guest.

BR
    Here’s one for West Ham Bob.
    Who scored a hat trick for West Ham against three different keepers, the last being Peter Beardsley?
    We were talking about it the other night watching the Hammers v Newcastle game.

4. PV4 says:

‘Breather’ – stinks of complacency and lack of ambition.

Answer me this question – how is it that 99% of Arsenal fans watching yesterday are all saying from about minute 12, get Giroud off his attitude is poor. Then he is booked for petulance, and everyone is thinking – get him off now, before he goes to a stupid second yellow. Cue stupid second yellow! So what were AW and SB watching?

So fucked off!

5. stevepalmer1 says:

Nice to read an uplifting Post, I always like it when supporters get behind Manager and players.

I may of been a bit hasty on the last post, it happens when i see certain games. Always bad to comment after a bad result as it does tend to bring ou the worst in me.

This fine post has calmed my nerves, the sun is shining through the window and its a new day, Micky’s comments usually bring a smile to my face, and when he seems happy and upbeat it has made me rethink .

A couple of days rest and a little light training and our athletes will be primed and ready for a weekend clash with Last seasons Champions.

Our team has been rested, and should be in prime position for a battle at the Bridge. We of course are up the table and are a few points behind current leaders City who have had a loss this week so probably have been stunned.

Our Game with Chelsea will be a big turn out, it will be game of the weekend, Chelsea have started badly in fact out of the five starts Chelsea still have no wins in the league while we have had a reasonable start.

I believe we are a couple of games points wise in front of Chelsea so of course with a well rested team we should be winning this game by quite a margin. Maurine has had his back to the wall, he has been struggling and he has been bubbling to the press in incoherent words, so not all is well with him. I remember his analysis of graded eggs and omelettes last time he was Chelsea’s stand in Manager, and then he got sacked obviously his boss does not like eggs.

Micky has lifted my spirits and i am going to relax into the weekend, whats happened in the passed is over and done with and its all about the future, Mickys confident so lets see .

Morning all 🙂

My view of the game hasn’t changed since last night. These are my comments from earlier today ….

The list of mistakes ….

6 changes …. too many. 3 of the back 5 changed

Ospina for Cech …why??? there was no need for this, I’m pretty sure Cech would have at least come and punched the cross for the second goal.

We have a CF who lacks pace and mobility the 2 most essential attributes of a modern striker. This is made worse by the fact that the likes of Ozil and Santi need runners for their passing game.

Underestimating the opposition. This team went unbeaten for the whole of last season. It is a very good ‘team’ … we on the other hand looked like 10 individuals for a large part of the game before the subs were made.

A slow build up style of football that is easy to defend against and makes us vulnerable to the swift counter attack.

Zagreb had the standard game plan against us. Let us have all the possession we want in the middle third and punish us on the break.

Two holding midfielders who lack pace and power …..

Arsene never learns ……

“We were unlucky” …. says it all ….. we need to employ a ‘luck coach’ because we do not train enough to be more lucky when we play ……. it would be funny if it wasn’t so ludicrous

Micky,

Your mood would appear to oscillate between wild euphoria – attack, attack, attack – and deepest melancholia – breather, breather, breather – but that is all part of your charm. 🙂

So, in short, according to your comment, we are all blubbing cretins whereas you are the eternal optimist – except when you are not – or when Arsenal lose

That sound about right?

So, are we, the lumpen proletariat allowed to disagree? 😀

I can only come up with a few options in trying to make some sense of Arsene’s decision to make so many changes.

What we should do is alternate one or two players most games (play our strongest team against top 6 opposition) and only make mass changes for the CC or if we get drawn against a minnow in the early stages of the FA cup.

He would only usually play the second string keeper in CC games – so why in the CL opener? I can only assume that he did not see this as an important game. Certainly it shows that he was prioritising the chav game.

This could lead to an even less palatable conclusion = simply qualifying for the CL is more important than how we perform in it once we have achieved that goal.

9. stevepalmer1 says:

Rasp, a very good morning to you sir.
    Take a pill son, and a deep breadth, you have seen it all in your time, You have seen these same tactical changes many times since Wenger has managed and we still grab at least fourth place.

You know as well as me That Arsenal are not ready to be CL Champions , We are also not in a place where Premier league success is destined for this North London based club.

I estimate we will be ready in another eight years, our mortgage will have been almost paid off and some of the other rich owners would have found other playthings.

Arsenal are just patricipents for the time being FA cups and community shields are our goals, The Asian cup and Emirates cup keep us amused at present so our cabinet is filling gradually.

Of course the top shelf will be empty for a while yet but 18 years in champions league is a trophy in itself top four for those years is also among the top honours.

While Arsenal skimp on bargain buys and see each window pass when we need talent only emphasises that we are still not ready, of course to blame Wenger is not the reason as he is like all Managers give him the money and he will buy.

Champions league is a million miles away from north London, and i feel that a team without the right back up will never hold up for a whole season. we lets face it are just taking part, we are not CL or PL ready and may never be.

10. clockendjim says:

What we learnt last night in Zagreb
    1) Giroud is becoming a liability. He should have scored at least one goal before he got himself needlessly sent off. His ball control is embarrassing and many of our intricate passing moves break down with him. Oh how we needed to sign a quality striker
    2) Monreal & Bellerin are our best full-backs. Most of our troubles were caused by Gibbs and Debuchy missing from their defensive positions
    3) Arteta is no longer up to speed to playing this class of football
    4) How much we rely on Coquelin now. His absence was the root cause of our vulnerability. Cazorla was nowhere near as effective without the protection of Coquelin
    5) How much we need Cech. He might have saved at least one of those goals
    6) I hope it is not a sign of him going downhill, but Koscielny was terrible last night, whereas I thought Gabriel was our best (& only good) defender
    7) Oxlade-Chamberlain is continually running into blind alleys and then losing the ball. I still think he is potentially a match-winner, but he has a lot to learn
    8) I was impressed with Campbell when he came on. Perhaps we need to give him more chances
    The only positive I can take from this disaster was that hopefully Wenger will learn from all that went wrong and take the necessary action

Morning Steve,

As you say, I have seen it all before …. hence my frustration. Two years in a row we through away our top position in the group by playing a weakened team and then got knocked out in the next round by Barca.

I don’t need to take a deep breath or any pills 🙂 I want to see a manager who learns from his mistakes and most importantly I’d like to see us move away from the clever possession football to a more dynamic attacking style – that is a team with strong defensive foundation underpinned by a strong spine = the players we needed to recruit over the summer.

Hi clockend, I agree with all those points.

13. fatgingergooner says:

Clockend,

Spot on.

For me, the main issue last night was Giroud and his attitude. He’s basically turning into Chamakh, which is a sobering thought. The buck stops with him for last nights result.

What’s more worrying now is what happens if Theo gets crocked?

14. fatgingergooner says:

Just seen that it was Arteta’s first start since November 2014! Also Ox gave the ball away 17 times last night and Debuchy 19!

15. stevepalmer1 says:

At this moment in time Rasp, the only chance of success is by using what we have and rotating a couple a week and persevering with the strongest side we can put out using those tactics.

Of course injuries do play a major roll in our success, and that is shown up every season, but we should field the strongest side every game and never ever make 5 changes in any game.

I believe we stand more chance keeping the same players working together all getting tired together and getting as far as they can. We have of course players who very seldom get injured, they will also benefit by the rotation system of course this has to blend in with who we play as some games the strongest team must be the team picked.

16. Red Arnie says:

Thank you, Micky. That got me chuckling a few times.

What are the chances that we do not progress from this CL group now? Less than 50% IMO. Patience, my dear Watson.

Redders, “the lumpen proletariat”! 🙂

I continuously amaze myself. can even manage a smiley now!

You have a naturally cheerful disposition Arnie! 🙂

18. Good post Micky man…

Clockend, you say the only positive from last night is that AW will hopefully learn…. but he’s done this before, underestimating an opponent and fielding a League cup team in the CL… so will he really learn?

They were a tin pot team… most of their players earn in a year what most of our players earn in a month. They have gone a whole season without losing but that probably says more about their league than them as a team.

This is a regular pattern with us in the CL… underestimating a team, not putting out our strongest team and losing. I didn’t see why he had to rest Cech, or the Coq, or Bellerin and Monreal.

As far as I’m concerned, Giroud can go… get rid, he’s more interested in what hair gel he buys than doing a job for the Gunners, he’s becoming a liability. The guy is a ponced up pussy…. although the two yellow cards were a bit soft, especially the second. Walcott needs to start every game… he needs game time to get his shooting boots aligned and match awareness.

Rasp,

I earlier mentioned, somewhat sardonically, that I was sure the pairing of Arteta and Cazzor in central midfield/defense would be mentioned in the Post, as no one else had commented on it — and, as is often the way of the blog world, you then later also commented on it, and I am not sure whether that is evidence that you do actually occasionally read my scribings – and then pinch my thoughts – or you do not read my epic musings, and unintentionally and belatedly repeat what I had already said.

But wait – I am about to return the compliment (?) — and say I too had noticed that when we were 2:0 down we were still playing continuous, square side to side passes roughly along the halfway line – as if WE were 2:0 up – as you had already pointed out. 🙂

So, I agree with you, if we were going to lose from that position we should go down with all guns blazing, and we eventually showed that would work, once when Theo scored a Henry-esque beauty, and a couple of other chances ruled out for dubious off-side decisions.

So, we often see things the same way, and therefore I reckon we are square! 😀

Redders, it’s just a case of great minds 😀

Like many, I can only periodically dip into the blog whilst at work and don’t always have time to read back through the comments. I agree the Arteta/Cazorla pairing was risky.

What I don’t get is why some considered Zagreb to be ‘tinpot’. This is a side that is high in confidence after having gone the whole of last season unbeaten. They have obviously learned in that time to be a very good ‘team’. They had no obvious weaknesses and played to a very well constructed plan.

The over confidence by the pundits and many others was similar to the approach to the Wham game – and the outcome was the same.

We did not give Zagreb the respect they deserved and paid the price for it.

21. RC78 says:

@Clockend – good analysis indeed…It also highlights some facts I raised earlier this season when we were assessing our transfer window…

According to me, we had 3 majors gaps to address this season:

– GK, which was addressed and it begs the question on why Cech did not play yesterday?

– CB, which was not addressed. Kos is a great defender but he needs someone who can basically lead the defense because when he is leading it, he gets nervy and poor…Gabriel is a back-up for Kos, not a back-up for BFG. We badly need someone to take BFG’s spot…This was not addressed and we can see that it is costing us points since the beg. of the season

– DM, which was not addressed either and yesterday, Arteta showed he was a bit rusty and could not play DM anymore…He needs to play CM when he plays. That said, I thought that this was the good game to test him and he failed the test…Anyways, the team is dependent on Coquelin…

Another gap that I had raised but that can be addressed next year is concerning our FBs. None of them are world-class and while having good FB is great, having great ones is much better…This needs to be looked at also.
    ——————————-

Some players that disappointed me last night:

– Koscielny; horrible day
    – Cazorla – why he switched off half way through the first half is a mystery
    – Ox – for all the ability to run with the ball and dribble and create, he needs to grow a tactical football brain both offensively and defensively but especially DEFENSIVELY. He has costed us too many goals this season already
    – Giroud – poor showing altogether but the worse is getting a red card.

Some players that performed decently:
    – Gabriel,
    – and our three subs (Coquelin, Campbell and Walcott)
    —————————-

So how will we do against Chelski this week-end?

We will line up:
    Cech – Bellerin, BFG, Kos, Monreal – Coquelin, Cazorla – Ozil – Ramsey, Walcott, Sanchez

and we will lose big time…I predict an easy Chelsea victory because they never lose against us and because they will want to prove a point. Mourinho rested some players but he will be without Pedro and Willian…That said, I am sure that Rémy and Oscar will cause us enough trouble…I am predicting a 3-1 victory for Chelsea with goals from a defender on a corner, a goal from a midfielder (probably Oscar) and a goal from one of their fw (I would bet on Costa). Our goal will come from Ramsey.

Against Chelski, I would play in a 4-3-2-1:
    Cech – Bellerin, BFG, Kos, Monreal – Ramsey, Coquelin, Ox – Cazorla, Sanchez – Walcott but I am sure that AW will line-up as mentioned above

Hi Norther,

Good points in your 11:26.

I think AW does have to make decisions as to how to marshall his troops when more than one competition is played in quick succession.

Frankly, if Giro had scored in the opening minutes when he was less than a metre out, rather than missing because he does not have a right foot, we would probably have won and AW would be a genius.

Arrogance is an odd word used by so many people, including me, to describe his decision making at times, but I read any number of bloggers on here saying they were 70+% certain we would win, [not me, actually] so apparently agreeing with the boss.

Arrogance? Or confidence? Like so much in life, it depends on whether it is used to denigrate someone else or excuse oneself. 😀

[Not that I was referring to you, of course – just a mind worm about a generality that I felt needed saying!] 😀

23. Rasp

It was I… who said they were a ‘tinpot’ team… and I stand by that. I think they have won their league for the last 10 or so seasons… which as far as I can see, means their league is weak. Our first XI would have slaughtered them… as we showed in the second half when AW really decided to go on the attack and they were sweating and panicking and wasteing time. If AW had taken that stance right from the beginning we wouldn’;t be having this discussion now.

RC,

Well put, altho I do not think our problem last night had much to do with the CBs.

Their second goal was the result of really poor defending, with Gibbs ‘jumping’ about 2″ (5cms) and then ducking — what was that about? Ducking!
    It was a gift wrapped invitation to their very good CF who could not miss. Our CBs did not have a chance with that.

25. RC78 says:

RA – I agree with you. I do not thing think AW was arrogant with his team selection. He clearly made a mistake with Ospina in my opinion but the rest of the team was OK.

I would have actually played Campbell from the start ahead of Sanchez.

At the end of the day, some players did not show up and some are clearly nervy (Ops, Debs, Ox, Giroud)

Anyways – I would be delighted to see a Garay and a Bender join us quickly because we need them badly as we can see from our season’s start…

CYYG

Thanks NB, I wasn’t being sneaky 🙂

I’m in agreement with most of your points, I just think that Zagreb were a decent side with one or two good players – especially the striker who scored the second goal who apparently was a mucker of Alexis.

Zagreb certainly produced a better team performance than us – but you’d expect that when they’ve been winning together for so long …. unlike our ‘loosely fitting’ team on the night!

I predict Zagreb will take points off others in the group at home.

27. RA

But Giroud didn’t score… you get no points for missing in this game 🙂

Rasper,

I have done it again, and this time I did not see your 11:43 so my 11:49 was pretty much repeating some [all?] of your points– and I totally agree with you. 🙂

Sorry, NB, but ‘tinpot’ adjective does smack of condescension and dare I say it arrogance. However, if we had put out our strongest side, as you suggest, I think we would have won.

This will surprise many — [not] — but I am not Theo’s greatest fan nowadays, however, he is streets better than a very dispirited and rather stupid Giro, who never stops whingeing at the refs, and falling over backwards on his ass yelling for a foul.
    He may be right about the fouls, but he has to change his way of falling as going down backwards like a logged tree with his outstretched arms waving instead of branches is rather embarrassing.

29. RC78 says:

RA – I think that the second goal is a combined poor effort from Gibbs and Koscielny…

30. Exactly Rasp… they were a team with one or two good players, against a team who should have fielded 11 great players.

31. RC78 says:

Giroud is embarassing this season…and he has an awful attitude as well…no good…and usually, I defend him but so far, so bad…

32. Redders

I haven’t got a problem being condescending towards other teams… ffs, we support the Arsenal. 😀

The answer lies in the word ‘team’. Teams are not constructed instantly from the best 11 players. They take time to evolve and ideally will not include players who are out of position.

34. Actually Redders, wasn’t AW being ‘condescending’ and ‘arrogant’ by fielding our League Cup team last night?

NB,

You need to be consistent, what is the difference between;

(1) NB @ 11:52 – “If AW had taken that stance right from the beginning we wouldn’;t be having this discussion now.”

(2) RA @ 11:49 – “if Giro had scored in the opening minutes when he was less than a metre out, ….”

Both are conditional constructs — so your point @ 12:00 is somewhat moot. 🙂

36. stevepalmer1 says:

Lets face it we keep on about the lack of a top striker, we Have Giroud and we have Walcott We also have Welbeck and Campbel we have Suarez quality in Sanchez so we have got enough Strikers Akpon was one we could have used Sanogo another we were inundated with strikers.

Now of course none seem to be top quality, but we have a whole squad who are not top quality. We have a man who has been MOTM in nearly every game he has played who is also not top quality in fact we almost lost him.

Our team Play attractive possession football, some times breathtaking football, but our problem is getting the ball in the net. Theo, of course has us all guessing 12 goals in 12 starts is absolutely amazing but still we are unsure.

All of our strikers have had their chances some are loaned out some sit on the plne week in week out and some we persevere with’ Theo at the moment is scoring goals, of course we are happy with that but overall we see a player who still has to prove himself to us . Theo is still classed as a player with potential` not a first pick although he has been with us longer than most of the other players.

By Christ i have knocked this feller for as long as he’s been with us but his goals alone for the games he’s played or should i say the hours he’s played is quite eye opening. Winger Midfielder centre forward call him what ever but he is still playing for us.

We make more chances than most other Premier sides and we do not finish them off bad luck has nothing to do with it woodwork has nothing to do with it and referee’s also have nothing to do with it.

What is missing in this part of the game is consistency usually with strikers form play’s a big part, a man on a run has what seems superhuman belief in his abilities but not being first choice does tend to play on your mind.

Of course past and present Injuries hurt football teams, lose a 30 goal a season striker hits hard Henry and Purse showed that but they had confidence Henry when he was finished came back to help us and still scored and that is what confidence builds.

I looked at Theo’s Face when he came on Last night as he was waiting for a set piece to be played he looks as if it meant some thing to him. Now i personally have slated him off in the past but who else have we got, Giroud;s form is off, Danny laid up Campbell is unsure where he should be played Sanchez is covering everybody and whoever else is tied up some where else. We have to use Theo.

Do i think he is the answer No, But should he be given a chance, well who else is there, of course he has to start Girouds form is off he lacks speed his attitude at present is in the wrong place, so it looks like Theo. Prove me wrong Theo and cement your place

37. Rasp

We have shown that we can field a team that has already evolved and not neccessarily the 11 best players…. what Wenger did last night was field a team of players that have yet to evolve together this season…. hence the loss.

NB,

I am delighted that someone is chatting with me – thank you. 🙂

I was trying to point out that Wenger, unlike the fans, was faced with making a critical decision as to how best to select his teams to win both games, given that he was going to face a much stronger team in Chelsea, on Saturday, he did so on that basis, and not because he thought Dynamo was a ‘tinpot’ team.

That is not to say you and others have to agree with him – or me. 🙂

Thanks NB, we continue to agree … why do I feel like you think we don’t? 😆

40. Redders

There is a big difference between the two, but it’s all if’s. The biggest difference would have been AW selecting the side that beat Stoke… Cech, Nacho, Bellerin, Coq, Walcott…. leaving the Big Fucking fairy Frenchman on the bench for a 10 minute moment of glory at the end of the game. The one thing we may be able to agree on, if Giroud had not started, he wouldn’t have got a red and we may have won with 11 on the field. 😀

41. Rasp

I’m just feeling emotional,upset and argumentative… I have a hanky in one hand while I type with the other 😀

Afternoon all. I hope a few of you don’t mind but I will plagiarise a couple of comments to help my comment.

So I wanted rotation, so I will not now bleat about Arsene doing it and getting it wrong. As such Chas’ comment struck a chord with me. Chas said :

In the past didn’t we used to always blame players for shit performances. Now, it always seems to be the manager.

“Most people seemed to be reasonably confident that playing Debuchy and Gibbs wasn’t such a hideous plan before the game.
    Everyone has been clamouring for the Ox to start.
    Ospina for Cech – not a decision you’d expect to lose you the match.
    Arteta for Coquelin seemed to cause the most damage but I doubt many of us would have predicted that before the game.
    The subs were good when they came – perhaps you might say that Wenger should have subbed Giroud once he realised the big Frenchman had his head stuck up his own arse last night, but we’d be in trouble if we always subbed someone when they were booked.

Didn’t most think the team picked was good enough to win?
    Aside from pulling Giroud off 🙂 , what else could Wenger have done once the game started?

Apparently the team didn’t go over to the away fans last night. Too feckin embarrassed, I’d imagine.

p.s. this isn’t meant to be absolving the manager of all responsibility, but just trying to add perspective, as always.”

Of course you have added perspective as always Chas, alongside Kitten pictures and great vids as well 🙂

I actually fully agree with Chas’ comment and as I said I wanted rotation. I thought the team was set up quite well, bar one area. I will not get into Ollie bashing. As far back as the summer of 2014 I said that I would keep Ollie but that I felt he was a back up / impact sub striker for me. He is a very decent striker with limited pace but has useful qualities. Nothing more nothing less for me.

I haven’t changed my mind on Giroud and last night (if you consider it that he was played to rest Walcott for a harder game) he was that back up striker. No problem and Arsene even played the pace to either side of him so I think it was set up right.

I even feel that Ollie is easily a good enough striker for last nights game and I feel he had goals in him in this game had he stayed on the pitch. I felt we just needed not to make any silly mistakes, or to do something silly, and should have played a patient disciplined away from home performance, take a couple of our chances and walk away winners without breaking too much sweat. We did (or Ollie did) something silly and we didn’t play with enough patience or discipline for me.

Having said that I think both Ollies yellows were harsh and he would have seen out 90 minutes with many other refs but that is the lottery of the refs not just in Europe but also the EPL. The EPL refs are a more known quantity to us all but often in Europe you end up with a ref we know nothing about. We as fans are not supposed to really, but the question is should the club know more about the ref and his characteristics, and did Arsene and Bould and the players know what ref they had?

I don’t think they did although I can’t be sure obviously, but it would seem ludicrous to me that a club would invest untold millions in training coaching and recruiting to be the best and win the big prizes but not do their homework on the ref and let the players know what they are dealing with.

Some refs get more indignant and react more to what they consider disrespect. That dismissive gesture of Ollies would likely just be met with blank faced stoicism from say Clattenburg but with a slightly more spikey ref who takes offence more easily you can undermine everything if you do the wrong thing based on not doing your homework properly. No point spending all the millions if you don’t get the simple things right.

I was fairly happy with the set-up barring the Arteta / Santi pairing (yes you redders 🙂 oh and Rasp). Again from a couple of seasons ago I have said I don’t think Arteta has the mobility to play the holding role, good technical player that he is. He was the holding midfield player in all those thumpings we had a couple of seasons ago where those teams seemed to pour through our deep midfiled area.

If we wanted a more solid controlled base at midfield in this game playing him with another more mobile DM is fine and would probably have been the way to go in this game. In short Arteta should not be the midfield minder to another midfield partner but is fine as the other midfielder to a midfield minder.

So having personally requested rotation and it not working out I thought GIE’s comment was interesting and is not something I have thought about before, but I feel has some mileage in it. GIE said :

“Having a bit more of a think about the game and who started the problems start immediately from the back.

As discussed before it’s been noticeable that Monreal tucks round more and Bellerin pushes on, last night we were pivoting the other way with Debuchy tucking in and Gibbs pushing on.

“Overall it goes back to what I think is Arsenes biggest fault, lack of rotation. As LB said earlier Arsene tends to pick what he thinks his best XI is until he finds a new best XI. But when faced with a bit of a pile up of games and knowing he needs to gives some a rest he then sticks a glut of changes in one game and we seem disjointed.”

“I wish he would just rotate the players one or two at a time each game.”

That got me thinking about Arsene. We have an incredibly loyal manager who has stood by us in hard times and single-handedly transformed our club. We have won things in style under him. He is probably the best identifier and coach of young talent. He is probably the best day to day coach full stop. However, there were times though even before the Emirates move, and with a great team at his disposal, that he came 2nd best to Ferguson and for me sometimes when we had the superior team.

Whatever anyone says Ferguson was the master of 2 things. Firstly he rarely got his match-day tactics and team set up wrong relative to who he was facing. Secondly he was the master of knowing how and when to rotate through a season so as to be the best team over 38 games, and so that there was rarely any disjointed performances in his rotating of players. I am not so sure that Arsene stands up to Fergie in this area, and possibly it is an important enough area to determine who are the EPL champions and who are the also rans.

Sorry for the length but it was packed with plagiarised comments from others 🙂

There is one thing that RC said a while back (that I can’t claim as my idea) that he hasn’t said since but I have. He suggested the use of Debuchy as a back up holding midfielder to Coquelin citing his having played this role for Lille.

I tend to favour more mobile (reasonable pace) holding midfielders over pure size. They obviously need to have some spikey physical attributes and not be too small. Coquelin fits this profile for me but so does Debuchy to a degree. We have 3 current squad options at RFB if you include Chambers and a decent on loan one in Jenkinson. Could we have not put Chambers in at RFB and Debuchy alongside Arteta to give us greater solidity and control (through Arteta’s ability) in the midfield?

Attempted shots by Arsenal from inside the box in 2015/16 (all competitions):

Shots: 90
    Goals: 4

Don’t get me wrong Rasp I think we do need a shiny new toy up top to really push on but over the last 2 seasons Giroud has been a reasonable proven goal-getter to a level that he would be fine as a squad striker / impact sub. We really don’t know what Walcott’s potential is but he does seem to be scoring regularly and we do seem to win games that he starts in, and I say starts in as oppose to come in in the 70 somethingth minute to rescue a dire situation.

As such we need to promote Walcott to first choice striker IMO and see where we are with our striking department when the January transfer window comes along.

47. RC78 says:

Rasp – good stat…says it all…We create chances that we cannot put to bed…

GB – Debuchy could play on the right side of the Midfield alongside a DM indeed but then you would have to sacrifice Aaron or Santi…I guess in some games where we rest our starters, you can try Debs – Arteta – Ox…

and I like the idea of bringing Jenkinson back but if we do, let s get rid of someone too…

48. RC78 says:

Rasp – a stat about the nr of times we hit the post and the nr. or times we shot on target and the way we condeded goals? This would be giving us the whole pic…

Hi GoonerB,

If Giroud was the top striker we need, other clubs would be showing an interest in him. If Aguero were to be sold you could expect £50m plus, Giroud would probably not be of interest to any top club and command around £15m

What are the chances of Giroud starting against the chavs? It wouldn’t surprise me.

51. Red Arnie says:

Wenger is very strict in matters of the “head in the arse”. If Giro gets his head out by tomorrow, he starts, because he is our best bet at scoring goals for the moment. That is not saying much.

Otherwise, Theo. I suppose against the Chavs there is no point in giving someone a start just to give him some game time.

Believe me, I like Theo’s runs and I also love Giro’s skills. I just think that, at the moment, Giro is our better bet. Theo is the more likeable individual, but that does not count, does it?

OK, tin hats now! 🙂

Hi Arnie, what stats do you have that indicate that Giroud is our best bet at scoring at the moment compared to Theo’s a goal a game for the last 11 games?

Everyone will have their own opinion on the subject Arnie but as I said yesterday you only have to look at the last 11 games including the F.A cup and community shield, look at which games we have won and who was the starting sriker to get a trend. Also if you look back on the games that we were as a whole (as fans) really pleased with the performance and general play and the ones we weren’t a trend develops as well. This is not pure stats obviously.

Statistically I would look at goals per minutes on the pitch as a striker (not winger) and / or goals per game as a starting striker (not last 15 minute sub). I would imagine this also shows a trend.

Sorry Arnie didn’t mean to dent your tin hat, will reimburse you 🙂

55. Red Arnie says:

shots on target to minutes played

goals scored to minutes played

who starts does not matter IMO. can anyone tell me why that should matter? 🙂

56. Red Arnie says:

winger/striker does not matter. Wenger does not restrict a winger from not shooting, does he?

57. Red Arnie says:

does Alexis wait to be started as a striker to try and score a goal?

58. RC78 says:

In any case – while we are struggling to score goals, we are also (and this is alarming) conceding goals…Offensively, at least we are creating chances but my goodness are we letting in goals for fun…Some goals are purely attributable to individual errors but overall, we are not defending as a block – which is worrying given our schedule and current League and CL position…

Sorry Arnie a bit far fetched for me to say it makes no difference if you are winger or striker in goal rate. I am sure AW doesnt ban the fb’s or cb’s from shooting either. Alexis is having a bit if a drought anyway. Would he be if he was playing as a central striker? Also the prolific goal scoring wingers tend to get a completely free role but more often set up on the opposite flank to come in on their favoured foot. Theo doesnt.

Rasp,

You have, I believe the stats regarding Theo’s goal record.

He has scored 11 goals in the 11 games where he started.

That means you would have to go back nearly two years to the start of his ‘run’, because of injury mainly, but also the stats have to be taken in the context of games where he scored a hat trick at the end of last season against a very poor West Brom.

[I am repeating myself somewhat as both GB and RC trotted out the same stats {altho they correctly quoted them} a while back, and I sneakily asked them for the specifics as opposed to the ‘headline’ eye catcher.] And yep – I received no reply from either scoundrel! 🙂

Misleading stats aside, Giro and Theo are the only two CFs available to us at the moment, and each are very different players with very different skill sets, so we all need to get behind them, as hoping for a top class CF recruit in January is fanciful, in my estimation.

[I have to add this rider to the above – sorry – but neither player are top class CFs – something most pundits agree on – but the most important man in all this is Arsene, and he is determined to give Theo an extended run to prove a point, and let’s hope he is proved right, again.]

Personally, I am hoping he recalls Akpom in January and gives him his chance in the first team, and does not turf him out alongside the other youth forwards deemed surplus to requirements.

Just think what good fist Le Coq has made of the HDM role almost as the bell was tolling for his Arsenal career – is there any reason to think Akpom or Mavididi can’t do the same at CF?

Thanks Micky for taking the trouble.

I like Clockendjim’s comment.

62. Red Arnie says:

does not take away my argument, GoonerB. Essentially we are comparing between two goalscorers who are both ineffective at the moment.

But the problem I have is this:

Oh dear, I looked through a crack in my black out curtains and saw knives dripping with the blood of AW and Giroud etc;

How fecking sad it is that as soon as we lose game everything Arsenal becomes crap…………get a grip people it’s only one game, why is it necessary to criticize every single decision just because we lost.

If we had won with that same team you would be praising AW for being a wise manger for making the choice to save some of his squad for Chelsea…………..

I’m closing the crack in the curtain tight – as I don’t like to see the blood of our manager and team spread all over the blog.

64. Red Arnie says:

GN5. 🙂

Come on folks. Let us put this in perspective.

Giro had two shots on target yesterday. Not as prolific as the best striker in the world. Admitted.

One has to be critical of his attitude, but that is different. IMO.

It’s simply idiotic being critical of Ollie, he hit the post and had a superb header saved – could have been 2-0 and he’s the hero??

One game folks – only one game. It’s so, so easy to be wise after the fact – it’s not so easy being in the hot seat 24/7 –

Postmortems are for the dead – and Arsenal are far from dead!!

66. stevepalmer1 says:

Not me Arnie, Before the game i cried out he was wrong, Many can put their stats and Mathematics up and try and explain why some thing has happened.

5 changes is far to many, and its not the first time either. Wenger himself stated that buying more than 3 players in any season upsets the balance. What he actually meant i am not sure of as we are always saying we are 3 players short.

All i know is more than two players have a detrimental effect on the outcome, Last night was avoidable. we may still have lost but we would know we just wasn’t good enough on the night.

I nm far from an expert but i saw dangers that i had seen many times, i voiced my opinion and many said that Chelseas’s game was important. I say B—–ks every game is important. cup games league games friendlys i played many of them and we had wars i can tell you.

Supporters turn up many last night travelled thousands of miles and they see a weakened team, that is bad very bad in my opinion. In my book no game is more important than the one your playing win that and move on, if you have no intentions of fighting for a win with your strongest team dont enter it,

Cheers Micky. I like when you get excited. It excites me

Thank Lord for GN5. Its only one result for Gods sake.

Whats all the Giroud bashing for? His sending off was a joke. As for Arsene, the mans absolutely brilliant. One of, if not the finest football managers in the world.

Heres a statistic. We have played 6 competitive games this season, five in the league and one in Europe. Taking away own goals we have only scored from one position, centre forward. No goals from the right, or the left, or from the guy playing behind the striker, or any were else.

Teams are defending in even greater numbers than before and at the moment its working. With the exception of City, Arsenal, Utd, and Chelsea are struggling to cope with this extra tactical negativity.

We should keep perspective.

Steve, so in this current run of games you would play your strongest 11 in 7 games over a 22 day period?

That is a guaranteed way to say goodbye to your season,

Arsene Wenger has more control over every aspect of the way Arsenal is run than probably any other manager in top flight football. He is not beyond question. The buck has to stop with him.

I am the manager of a business and I am held accountable for the performance of the business.

People’s reaction to the game is not just about the result, it is to do with our failure to reinforce the squad in the summer and the fact that the mistakes we made last night had been repeated several times before.

70. stevepalmer1 says:

Don’t agree GN5, i like many have worked through our lives seven days a week for 8 10 hours my eficiency has never changed. I used to say i needed a day off to my guvner and he said why and i’d say tiredness he laughed and said go to bed earlier.

Jokes aside, 90 minutes play is not a lot in a week i managed it the same as many more and we had full time jobs as well nurse them all you like but you will end up with nancy boys.

Get them grafting let them know what a days work is show them they are paid handsomly for a couple of games a week. Or only pay them when they play, you would never see a tired pl;ayer

Arnie, your stats @ 2:44 are for last season and the salient point is that Theo only played 440 minutes of football – hardly enough to ‘call a run of games’.

Also it shows the opposite of your point in some ways – Theo gets into scoring positions very frequently. Giroud would not have scored his goal last night because he is too slow – in fact the pass would not have been made because the other players know he lacks pace.

72. RC78 says:

For all the fuss about Theo and Ollie’s poor goal scoring record, we also need to say that our friends from midfield Ox, Ramsey and Ozil are not really helping out…Santi only on PKs and to be honest, Sanchez is playing FW so he is expected to score 🙂

Anyways – it would be great to see Ox, Ramsey and especially Ozil more often on the score sheet.

RA – Did I miss one of your comments? Sorry if I did not reply…

Another point – let us not concede goals, esp. on set-pieces…and on counters…I mean if you concede a goal on an excellent set of play or a brilliant shot outside the box, it is OK but if you concede on set pieces, counter-attacks and due to obvious defensive errors, it is really shameful… I would be more keen to see solid defensive performances than an offense festival…but then again, I m just dreaming

73. Red Arnie says:

circular logic, Rasp. Would the stats be different this year. Dont think so.

In fact, as pointed out above, Giro was pants yesterday but had two shots on target. Theo got a goal but how many attempts? Dont know.

Do you think Theo would have managed attempts on target on the two chances that Giro had. They are just different types of players, as you have rightly said previously.

Either you prefer Theo to Giro or you dont. Most fans have made their mind up. I just hope that a fantastic servant to the club is not hounded out by fans. 😦

This has happened in the past.

74. Red Arnie says:

After all, for us as fans, it is a matter of preferance about what kind of goals we love.

You love a pacy run through kind of goal, I happen to prefer the following. I just think it is more skillful and gives me a real pump.

micky – does anybody meet your criteria for a cretin? Surely not 🙂

I didn’t see the game, so have no opinion on what went wrong. But to lose a game like that is definitely wrong in my books. We won’t beat the Chavs, be lucky to get a draw.

76. Red Arnie says:

we will surely win on Saturday, Evonne. I am 30% confident! 🙂

77. stevepalmer1 says:

Arnie me and you need to chat at some time, i need you to explain to me how someone who is paid a hundred and something thousand a week is a fantastic servant to the club. For a start Theo has pres sganged Arsenal into a wage he has not earned and the other Joker who is supposed to be our main striker never strikes how fantastic is that.

78. Red Arnie says:

Steve, ha ha ha. 🙂 fair enough. 🙂

Arnie, the stats are completely different this year – that is my point. Theo is the in-form striker.

The fact remains that he is the opposite type of striker to Giroud. When Giroud plays we pump high balls in his direction, when Theo plays we thread through balls to him as he is always looking to make a run. Theo is the more incisive of the two. He’s not the answer to all our striking woes – we haven’t signed that player yet? (unless Welbeck steps up!)

80. Red Arnie says:

Yes, agreed Rasp. Except that the jury this year for me is still out. Against Stoke, 75 mins, 8 chances, 1 goal.

Sorry, not good enough for me!

30% says is all arnie

RC,

I did ask both you and GoonerB to give an analysis of some stats you supplied,yesterday (?) and I was impressed that neither of you responded, because I already knew the answer, and was just luring you both into a cunning trap, which you did not fall for – or so I thought! 😀

I have to say that I chat on AA and other blogs because I like the company, but it is strictly on the basis of having fun and respecting other bloggers opinions – even if I do not agree with all of them – and teasing you and GB is part of that. 🙂 [Je vous ai taquiné – comprenez-vous?] My French is crap, unfortunately. 🙂

83. RC78 says:

RA – good try with the French and a banter is always welcome on an overall nice forum 🙂

I was just saying that Theo is scoring although he is missing a lot of chances. The more he plays as CF, the better he will get and at the moment, he is our only decent option as Mr. Giroud has decided to be a grumpy underperforming striker…

Arnie, darling, 🙂

Stats are a wonderful tool for comparison purposes, and the table you presented [presumably from a sound source] gives some interesting info.

I have questions tho’.

– Does it imply that the longer a player goes between having a clear cut chance and missing the better he is? Or –
    – Does it imply that his team mates are rubbish at presenting him with chances? Or –
    – Does it mean that the longer it is between missing a clear cut goal scoring chance and missing it, is because a useless lump of a forward who rarely anticipates a goal scoring opportunity and goes a full season without missing one because he never gets into position is the best CF on that table?
    – Is that why Giro is not on the table?

You and I both love statistics, but equally we know that the interpretation of the data results is critical, or GoonerB will get cross and set his camel on you! 😀

85. Red Arnie says:

Redders. 🙂

I am waiting for Chas or GiE to provide the most impartial stats.

We want a comparison in terms of

goals scored per minute played
    shots on target per minute played

others stats are just a distraction to try and get under Rasp and GB’s skin. 🙂

That is true, RC, regarding both Theo and Giro.

I wrote to AW and said that following a conversation on AA it had been decided – by me – 🙂 that Theo should be given a minimum of four games starting as the lead striker to prove that he really can cut the mustard in that role – or that he is a dud.

He replied that he always reads AA and particularly the chat between GB, Norfolk, and yourself and …… completely ignores it, and does what I tell him. He then asked ‘Who eez that crazy fellow – il s’appelle Terry? Is his spelling bad – does he mean Thierry? foolish boy!” 😀

Arnie,

That’s fair enough – or we could say bollix to all that, and go out and buy Messi – Arsene did say that he once almost bought him – and now we have money, all the blogs say so! 😀

I agree with those who say it was just one game and an experiment which didn’t work

The team selected was easily good enough to win but (and I know Rasp disagrees) we had dreadful luck. Posts hit, an unlucky bounce off the Ox for the first goal, a hopeless referee, offside decisions not given etc etc.

True Arteta had a poor game but the man needs game time because the way Coq plays he is sure to get injured at some point, so our Club Captain has to come up to speed.

That said, it still hurts to be beaten by a very average team.

89. One can quote as many stats as one likes and interpret them in numerous ways but they will never win a football match, only players can do that. Players are human beings,although there are a few Neanderthals posing as central defenders and defensive mid-fielders, humans have off days and poor old Ollie is having a run of off days, which erases any doubts about his species.

Did Wenger give him a start in an “easy” game to boost his confidence? Possibly, but if so it miss-fired as spectacularly as did Ollie.

As far as I’m concerned there were just too many changes made made last night. What Wenger’s reason was for making so many we’ll never know.

If we win on Saturday all will be forgiven, if we lose….We’ll who knows.

90. Sorry about the missspells, I’m do this on a piddling little touch screen keyboard which keeps changing the words I’m trying to type.

Is it safe to open the curtains yet?

92. She GN5, the air raids ended a while ago, it’s safe to remove the blackout curtains. 😀

93. Yes not she, bloody silly touchscreen.

Close the curtains GN5 the wormer and his camels are coming 🙂

Redders your 4.25 sums it up perfectly, thank you 🙂

Actually my earlier epic comment explained I am not for the Ollie bashing. I don’t want him to leave and send him much love even though he coqued up last night to a degree, but the post, great saves and a ref with PMT didn’t help. The team set up last night was mostly pretty good and was enough to beat them Croats.

However…. with what we have available I think Walnut ( is that right Redders? 🙂 ) is our in form striker and looks the more likely to score goals and see our attack play more fluently.

I agree with Rasp that he is likely not the answer to all of our striking problems but part of me says I just don’t know how good he can be as he hasn’t had enough of a run of games as the first choice starting striker. Arsene and Ian Wright Wright Wright have both said they feel he can be prolific so hadn’t we better just find out?

Oh and sorry Arnie for disappearing mid debating. I do that you know, nothing personal. Would love to stay and chat all day but duty calls you know, camels to be wormed and all that.

Also sorry to Micky for not publicly thanking him for his great post in his normal witty style. I say publicly as I have already conveyed thanks via our own personal ESP links which i am sure he has received. Got a couple of messages back and I now know which of you all he considers a cretin 🙂 Bit of a long list though Micky 😦

NG/GB,

I like the team as is, why you ask? Well the answer is very simple it’s the Arsenal team and that’s the team and manager that gets my full support.

I don’t buy into any of the theories about AW being reluctant to buy players, I prefer to believe him when he states that none of the players who were available met his requirements.

Only he knows the reasons he chose yesterday’s line up and if it were not for lady luck and an iffy referee all would have been fine.

As is obvious I have no time for idle critics and those who rake up the mud.

I’ve closed the curtains…………

I am shouting through the curtains GN5 🙂

I am glad that we largely agree GN5. Your last comment tallies with most of what I said earlier and also since the TW closed.

100

Wellington Silva seems to be making an impression at Bolton.He has great feet and I really hope he can transfer that skill to the higher level eventually.

I heard this guy yelling GB so I peeked through the curtains – I’ve never had any doubt that we were in general agreement.

GIE said something very similar the other day about supporting the team even if we dropped down a division or two they would still be his Arsenal – my sentiments as well, my team through thick and thin, and good and bad.

We’ve been very fortunate supporters as it’s never been really terrible, and AW has been the icing on the supporters cake.

100. Red Arnie says:

some might claim we have been thoroughly spoilt, GN5. 🙂

Evening all, just read most of the comments and it’s been lively 🙂

My thinking on last night is how the midfield was hampered by Arteta, not necessarily a criticism of him more the bigger picture.

So Coquelin as we know has become our ball winner, but he is not as careful with possession as Arteta was so Santi has been dropped in with him to be the man to start play from deep. Last night we had Arteta and Santi, if we were going to replace Coq with anyone it should probably have been Flamini, as in the new shape where Santi is responsible for ball out from the back Flamini can concentrate on the side of the game he is best at, although I’m not sure he has the legs for it anymore?

However a question has to be asked in terms of whether Arteta as club captain would appreciate being left out for Flamini. Perhaps we should of gone Flamini/Arteta as a straight swap out for Coq/Santi?

Off to hunt for some stats. 😀

102. Red Arnie says:

GiE. I agree. Flamster for Coq is more natural.

We will certainly need cover for Le Coq for a few games at least. Fatigue, likely seeing red, 😛 And I would not like to think of other potential reasons. Just too scary.

I knew it. 5:25 and Raddy has put the loss down to luck and the ref 🙂

Right, Rant Friday. Let’s “get” Arsene for the pathetic transfer window 🙂

104. Red Arnie says:

motning all. nice and quiet in AA land. 🙂 and just to wake everyone up:

105. Red Arnie says:

hello Micky. 🙂 my rant is about too many spoilt kids on AA. 😛

106. Red Arnie says:

BT in place, or still on your jiggle juggle! 😛

My “wa” (japanese shinto meaning a state of balance and harmony) has returned aided and abetted by GN5 & GIE’s helpful comments.

The midweek defeat was just a mote in God’s eye

Ommmmmmmm

Red A
    “Spoilt Brats” ha ha ha. Things is, us “Brats” have all done the hard times and never moaned. Anyway, I like a whinge, and whinge I will. It’s fun, excellent for site balance, and of course, is totally justified 🙂

Thing is, it’s easy to play the “I’m a loyal supporter and very Holy” card. It’s more of a challenge to pick holes in what is for the most part the best Club in the World 🙂

So, back to the transfer window 🙂

What this blog needs is a realist

KELSEEEEEEYY

111. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all,
    Morning Raddy and Arn, I am in sombre mood today, Don’t suppose many will come on while they know i am on, so i thought i would come on early.

We have had a midweek loss, nothing new if your a hardened Arsenal man. But of course that is the past and if we dwelt on all our losses we would end up going to Terry’s shrink.

Our weekend game is almost upon us GN5 will have his curtains open for the first half, whether they will be shut for the second half will soon be known by his neighbours.

Eddie will be out in force, not much will wrankle her, she will not be confident of course but she will wear the cannon on her chest, and a fine sight it will be.

Raddy will start us off with a fine PM, he will be upbeat as he likes to believe that supporters like that. He will give us his line up and i can only assume he will pick the strongest team he can think of, i believe his percentage will be for asthetics, buit whether he really believes the figure , i can;t honestly say.

Arnie of course will show support, Arnie would show support if we were six leagues down, he is an arsenal supporter but i feel a little blinkered.

Terry will come up with a story to lighten the mood, his insight into explaining a situation is second to none whether anything he says appertains to the game is any ones guess but matchday would not be the same without it

Peaches will of course appear, she also will watch what she says, she will of course show support but she will not be sure on this one.

Micky like Terry will have a few comments to lighten the day, he will find a sentance that will try and lift us.

RA of course will use that educated mind, he will come out with a few gems nothing unusual there.

the Gunner boys will come out with their stats and Mathematics they will show us in a good light.

Kelsey that long time supporter will brave a matchday comment, the poor bugger has had it tough for a while but the Gooner in him will majke him say a word of wisdom.

Northbank of course will show up on the day, he will make us smile with little quips., and i will look forward to his side of the story on his blog.

Ant and Duck will probably be at the game, they dont miss many they will let us know the best beers and burgers in that part of London, they will give us an honest opinion after the game with curtains wide open.

Of course i would have missed a few out, sorry you probably are ones who are never on when i am . but i have got a bad memory please forgive me. OK i’m off.

The reality is, that despite it being Rant Day, I will struggle as I’m feeling particularly bright this morning.

I genuinely believe we’ll win at The Bridge, and the autumn swells are here with the surf looking good for tonight

ffs not you as well micky. We will not win at the Bridge, I can promise you that. The whole team is a flash in the pan. On rare occasions they outperform themselves and give us hope. On most occasions they are nothing special. take away Santi and Sanchez and we are pants

We are not spoilt brats, the team are

And while everyone else is getting ready for the lunchtime kickoff I’ll be going to a wedding……I’ll be having words with Mrs Exile for accepting the invitation on behalf of us both without waiting until fixture list announced and also with the inconsiderate Bride and Groom who felt rescheduling was not in the best interests of all the guests…..cheek of it.

115. stevepalmer1 says:

Sorry i’m back, just thought of Rasp, can’t leave him out, no one seems to listen to him, but in my mind he talks sense and i hate to say it usually agree, ok Now i’m gone.

is it rant Frinday? Right!

you think that last TW was bad ha ha blooy ha. Brace yourself for the next summer and an exodus. We have been there before, remember? A couple of players short of solid squad. But we didn’t strengthen the squad, fought with depleted team for the 4th and waved good byes from June till September

GiE – the funniest occasion I attended was my brother’s in law wedding on a Grand national day in Dublin. Even the priest wanted to listen to the commentary

you are not going to pacify anybody by photos of cute dogs, cats and children chas. We know you don’t care if we win or lose because your support is mainly about travelling, taking pics and getting pissed

That’s exactly it, Eddie.
    The rugby starts tonight.
    I might become a rugby fan.
    At least their supporters know how to get pissed.

As for pacifying you…….. 🙂

you are a disgrace! I will buy your season ticket and support the team properly,cold stone sober

…says the person who went to Arse v West Ham and then vowed she wouldn’t be wasting any more of her money going to football for quite some time.
    Supporter – pfffffffffffffft.

Right, it’s been fun taking the piss, but I gotta go.

We have a New Post ……………………….

I am a woman and it is my prerogative to change my mind!