Arsenal Are The Best Club In The World – Right?

Controversy is the life blood of football, from the shenanigans of the governing bodies FIFA and UEFA who are no strangers to dubious practices, which are nonetheless seen as acceptable by half the world, and as reprehensible by the other half, as well as the all powerful clique of clubs and the cabal of managers noted for their self serving behaviour, often to the detriment of the fans, and then the football tribalism of the same passionate and committed fans warring among themselves.

As passionate, knowledgeable Gooners we would not find it at all strange or contentious to wholeheartedly agree with the question posed in the Post headline because, with certain reservations about the transfer policy of the manager and the Board, or the exorbitant cost of seat tickets, and similar concerns raised by one faction, or the other, we do believe that Arsenal are indeed the best club in the world, and that is why we support them, and many have done so for the whole of their sentient lives, and will continue to do so until the grim reaper taps them on the shoulder.

It does rather beg the question though as to why the supporters of rival clubs will vehemently disagree, if told by Gooners that Arsenal are the best club in the world, and will enthusiastically, if rudely, respond that their own club is the best in the world.

Why is this? Can’t they see they are wrong? 🙂

Perhaps it is the human condition of tribalism that is at play here, and the urge or need to conform to community norms albeit in the differing environs of North London, the Midlands or Oop North to share a ‘belonging’ with those we have grown up with or, in footballing terms, the sense of belonging to the community of fans who support a particular club. Not that this necessarily speaks to the many fans throughout the world who are equally supportive of their chosen club.

It would be futile in a short article to try and look at this issue at every level, so in addressing only what makes fans tick, let’s have a look at some current-ish issues that have cropped up recently.

There has been a big hoo-hah over the very public admonishment and shameful questioning of the Chelsea club doctor’s professional competence which Mourinho lamely tried to disguise as a footballing knowledge requirement on when to run on the field of play to help an injured football player — in other words when Dr Maureen says so. Pissht.

Many fans, including most of us Gooners, thought this was a shabby display of dictatorial and sexist behaviour on the part of the manager even though he had in fact belatedly included a male employee in his tirade.

But that was not the view of the vast majority of the Chav fans, who were supportive of Maureen and gleefully told themselves this was an example of the manager’s winning mentality – even though they did not win that game – or the one against Man Citeh, where two Chelsea players went down simultaneously and the replacement Chelsea doctor had to be helped out by the Citeh medical team running on. Did they respect your medical/football knowledge wishes too, José?

This not a refection on the Chelsea fans who saw nothing wrong with Mourhino’s stance, because it is unquestionably the case that if this scenario had been played out at Old Trafford, instead of Chelsea, the ManUre fans, who for years were well versed in supporting Old Red Nose in some of his wildest rants, would have supported their manager in the same way – and conversely the Chav fans would then have joined the rest of us in pillorying the ridiculous attitude of the Manure manager in this hypothetical instance.

Was it the case that, in these instances, the outcome was the result of the tribal instinct to which, as fans, we are all prone?

Well, it has been said on here, and elsewhere, that the support Maureen got was borne out of misplaced loyalty, and that the Chav fans really did know he was in the wrong, but were more than happy to indulge in a little bit of cant and hypocrisy as part of the ‘defence’ of the Chelsea community and a manager who has been successful for them.

In human beings there is a complex and powerful desire to conform to the group mood or ethos, and those fans supporting their manager are not knowingly intending to lie or pretend. This human condition actually makes our brains rationalise the facts and to change the way they are perceived, which is different to how others see them.

Take the rationalising of penalty incidents, for example. This inevitably results in opposing sets of fans seeing the same incidents in very different and opposing ways too. “He deliberately chopped our player!” “No, he is a diving cheat!” and so on, and on.
The same incident, if reversed, would have the same fans crying out the opposite views, if it were the other team’s player involved.

There is a phenomenon that occurs on all blogs, and it is something that we are all aware of and it relates to the fact that we can quickly become aware of other people’s biases, whether it is towards certain players, or the behaviour of the managers, or the ethos of other teams, or, dare I say it – other bloggers – and yet at the same time we are completely detached or impervious to our own biases, which are obvious to others.

There is a formulaic phrase that is becoming common, and which some see as essential to protect good relations between bloggers with opposing views, after it has become all too obvious that further discussion has descended into being a pointless dialogue of the blind, and that is “we will have to agree to disagree” which is immensely useful when it becomes clear that no purpose is fulfilled by further debate.

So, Arsenal are the best club in the world, right? Umm – Yes —and no — it depends on who is being asked. 😀

Written by RA

91 Responses to Arsenal Are The Best Club In The World – Right?

Poetic Redders as usual. Many thanks.

We are one of the best clubs in the world when all aspects of what constitutes this are looked at. For me we are the best obviously.

The newer and younger football fans place higher emphasis on team success, which is a major part of being the best club, and we are not currently that. We are not far away so that may come still.

More importantly….are we the best bloggers in the world….psrticularly on here? The answer is an obvious yes 🙂 feel free to agree to dissgree though 🙂

2. Red Arnie says:

Nice one, Redders. 🙂 This needs a bit of thought, so off to think now, back laterz. 🙂

Yes, Arsenal are the best club in the world 🙂 ….

…. And I have the best kids in the world 🙂 ….
    …. and this is the best blogsite on the internet 😆

…. No brainer 😀

As regards Maureen’s appalling behaviour towards his medical staff ….

…. Was an admission that his players feign injury (god forbid)? either way, he was seeking to deny his player a basic right to medical assistance and countermanding an instruction by the referee for the medical staff to attend to Hazard.

At the very least Maureen should be told off by the EPL by suggesting that he has the last word over whether the medical staff attend a player.

5. ‘morning all,

That’s quite a post Redders, I’ve been through it once but will need another look before commenting, but that will have to wait as today is Wednesday and that’s swimming day.

Along with Red Arnie I’ll be back laterz. 😀

The procedure is that if a player goes down and it is not immediately obvious that he needs medical attention, the referee speaks to the player and asks if he wants the medics to attend – if the player says yes, then the ref (and the ref only) can decide to call for the medical team – not Maureen

7. Best kids in the world Rasp? Oh no you haven’t! Mine are the best and I’ve also got the best grandchildren. So there! 😀

If we are looking for a DM to support Coquelin, this guy we’ve been linked with today looks like a powerful unit and at 25 just coming to his peak ….

9. IanRealGunner says:

I agree with Rasp here – it is the cynical use of feigning injury, and misusing the medical staff in order to win a match over the well-being of a player. And how can Mourinho tell if a player is genuinely injured or tired as he claimed Hazard was from the touchline!!! I continue to be amazed by the Chavs, and the lack of really analytical questioning of their conduct by the fawning media

NG, you’ve got the best kids and grandkids in Norfolk – I’ll give you that 🙂

Unfortunately, Rasper,although I agree with you that Krychowiak would be a fine ‘back up’ for Le Coq, AW has already said that Arsenal have made no contact with his club and he (Wenger) is not interested in any case.

Is Le Proff telling porky whatnots? 🙂

The behaviour of Maureen, in publicly chastising the delectable Eva and her professional standards, has excited even the Press, normally supine when it comes to his antics have been holding him to be at fault.

The EPL authorities will do nothing, except keep their heads down and wait for the furore to blow over, but in the doctor’s position, I think it is a huge blow to her professional integrity, and she certainly has a strong case for constructive dismissal and punitive compensation for material damage to her reputation.

Has she got the cojones to take Maureen/Chelsea on?

Although I chose not to discuss the controversy surrounding Bladder and FIFA, it is interesting to see the number of people who have written on blogs saying that he did a lot of good by dishing the West in the eye, and awarding the WC to Africa, the Middle East and Russia, and in doing so to glibly ignore the fact it was achieved by corruption, if what we hear is to be believed.

Is it ever right that the end justifies the means? Does that go against accepted moral values and accepted judicial practice?

Bladder was elected for another term despite the scandal, so that shows the split between the countries ruled by FIFA, and it was only the activities of the FBI that caused him to stand down.

Something to hide?

Haha, cheers, RA.
    I understood about half of that. 🙂

Of course we’re the Best Club in the world, maybe not the best team but club certainly. With a set-up, manager, team and fans oozing class from every orifice, it’s a raving certainty. (Well, ignoring the fact that some of the fans are dickheads anyway).

Yep, it is subjective but the rest are deluded. 🙂

Chas, 😀

16. RC78 says:

Sporting level – Barcelona and Bayern Munich are the best
    Heartwise – Arsenal and PSG are the best 🙂

Thanks for the post RA, excellent read!

I disagree. We are one of the best clubs in the world, but not the best. Why are you saying that we are the best? Because you are a Gunner or is there any substance to your claim 🙂

Personally I think City are the best in EPL and there are many Spanish, German and Italian, let alone south American clubs that beat us.

Explain yourself please! And the fact the Maurinho is a dickhead does not make us the best club

Hi Eddie,

The Post headline finishes with a “?” so it is a question that is being asked – not a statement.

The point of the Post was to discuss the affect that perspective has on what we see, feel, hear and believe is the ‘real truth’.

Arsenal fans mainly believe that their club is the best, if you ask them – but if you were to ask what they meant by that, I suspect you will get many different answers.

Fans of other clubs will see things differently, of course, and arrive at different conclusions mainly believing their own clubs are the best.

On a comparative basis a club can be ‘good, better or the best’, so there can only be ONE best by definition.
    Arsenal, in my opinion, are the best – so, if I am right the fans of the other 19 clubs are all wrong!! 🙂

That is why at the end I asked AA bloggers whether Arsenal are the best club in the world, and concluded ‘Yes’ – for me – but that it depends on who you ask.

[The Maureen/Doctor analogy was used to demonstrate that truth is determined by perspective. The Chelsea fans think that Maureen was right in what he did and said because he is the leader of their team — Fans of other clubs’ are mostly united in thinking that he was a bullying sexist, or variations on that, just throwing his male ego around.]

Hope that helps, and thank you for asking. 😀

19. When it comes to “Best in the World”, I’m with Eddie. One of the best? Certainly.

There are too many criteria to allow for a simple yes or no.

A well run club that doesn’t wash it’s dirty linen in public? Yes.

A majority shareholder who appears to be as honest as any billionaire could be? Yes.

A minority shareholder with a few skeletons in his closet? Allegedly, yes.

A manager widely reckoned to be one of the best in the World? Yes.

A squad not far off being one of the best in the World? Yes.

A fan base made up of right minded, intelligent, knowledgeable and respectfull people? Yes, well apart from the dickheads of course.

A super stadium? Yes, apart from the atmosphere, or lack of, at times.

All of the above add up to The Arsenal Way, a template for how a professional sports club should be run.

20. One small item of news, the powers that be have decided not to take any action against the pair of officials who made such a cock-up of the offside decision at Anfield on Monday night.

I guess that two sets of officials sanctioned in the same week wouldn’t look good.

Class Redders

We are the best, no doubts. Why?, because I have faith.

A few years back I was just coming out of an establishment mistakenly believed by some to be a brothel, when I spotted a young man in his late teens. The poor lad looked troubled. His expression displaying the look of someone who had just found out that to have sex, you have to pay for it.

I asked him what was wrong and he told me that because he could not find a job and was to thick to achieve academic satisfaction, his parents had thrown him out.

I could tell he was been economical with the truth. My radar was telling me that his desperation had forced him into the seedy world of gay prostitution, where pock faced men who by day masquerading as school governors and chairmen of the local conservative club were taking advantage of him. This inevitably led me to the tragic conclusion that this young man had reached rock bottom, and was flirting with the idea of following Totnumb Hotspurs

I let him know I could help and invited him round for a chat and a couple of cans of extra strength tenents. He got a bit startled when entering my abode to see the hanging Elvis jump suit and large framed portrait of former news reader Richard Honeycomb, but soon relaxed when I got out the lagers.

He then asked what i could do to help him? I said next door is the room were it all happens. Ten minutes in there with me and he would be reborn and though he had a full head of hair, never worry about baldness again.

He got a bit agitated and asked whether I was “bending” and why was my hair the wrong way round?, but I just calmly asked that he follow me, and once at the door, I pushed him in.

Flashing red and whites lights beamed out as the automatic CD player stated belting out “Good old Arsenal”. The push had sent him to his knees, perfectly positioned by the alter of Liam Brady, so I took the opportunity to straddle him and yell “Repent, repent, hear the voice of the King of Highbury”

“Your off your head man” he yelled. As we grappled I pleaded to exorcise the spirit of Ossie Ardillas from him, but he lacked faith and I then knew then he was possessed by the more powerful David Pleat.

Been the younger man he overcame me and hit me with the miniature statute of Arsene Wenger. Arsene now has a chip on the eye, reminds me, I have to go down the Arsenal shop and get a replacement. The blow had knocked me unconscious, and when I woke I observed he had nicked all my lagers and Elvis jump suit. The only consolation was that upon glancing at the mirror, my hair was now the right way round.

I rang the police, asking them to keep a look out for a pissed up Elvis, but they hung up on me.

Arsenal are the best. Its a question of faith.

22. RC78 says:

– Pedro to join Chelsea in the end
    Fab Mat
    Oscar
    Pedro – Costa – Hazard
    ———————————————
    Willian – Rémy – Cuadrado
    Mikel Ramires
    Chalobah
    ———————————————

Terry, 🙂

You are priceless – but I am glad I never went round to your pad! 😀

24. Nicholas says:

If by “best” you could mean “likeable”, then yes, Arsenal are one of the best clubs in the world.

To be one of the biggest, however, will mean we have to dominate the domestic leagues for a decade and win the CL a few times. Much as I love, Arsenal, I believe this form of domination will be very difficult to achieve now that so many clubs have so much money.

Certainly we have a likeable, erudite manager, worthy of the neutrals’ respect; one is well-known for trying to get his teams to play attacking football; a club that does its deals in private and leaks very little; one that lives within its means; one with very, very few dislikeable players (I can only think of Wilshere who might fall into that category for some).

Piers Morgan being a celebrity fan is a bit of a drawback, I concede, but on the other hand, we can count the former Archbishop of Canterbury and the Queen in the Gooner ranks, and I reckon that more than evens out the balance.

RC,

If you don’t stop this strange predilection of typing names on AA I am going to ask Terry to pop over to Paris and sort you out. [il vous gifle] 😀

Well said Nicholas. 🙂

The truth is, you and others have defined what you believe is meant by the word ‘best’, and it clearly means different things to different people, as you were implying.

For me and many others, not least my friend Terry, the belief that Arsenal are the best club in the world is just a feeling that comes from the gut, and does not take account of who is the biggest, the most successful, the wealthiest – none of which applies to Arsenal — but no matter – to us they are the best and trying to rationalise that is impossible and pointless. 😀

RA. In answer to the question – of course we are. There has never been any doubt in my mind.

I am old enough to have seen Spurs win the League (in black and white) and even whilst we suffered in their shadow we remained a class above. Still do.

And what of MU? Lots of trophies but prawn sandwich eaters and Southern fools to a man (and woman)

Chavs? Their nickname says it all.

L’pool? Classless, deluded mugs who live in the past. Do we still talk about the Herbert Chapman side when discussing the relative merits of our club? No, so why do they always hark back to the 80’s?

Barca and RM? Hotbeds of corruption and posturing (though it has to be said they play some great football)

Perhaps Bayern Munich can be considered as the Best Club In The World but their main problem is that they are German.

No …. Arsenal are and have been the BCITW. Would any other club offer to replay a winning cup game? Would any other club refuse the financial input of an Oligarch?

A convincing case Raddy — and hello! 🙂

RC78,

You have gone quiet! 🙂

Perhaps it is because I made a mistake with my French tenses in translation – it should have been ‘il vous giflera’ maybe?

Anyway, carry on with your naming names – I was only joking!! 🙂

Raddy – and ManCity? What have you got against them?

Nicholas – Piers Morgan is a drawback, but Queenie and the Archbishop a bonus?? 🙂 🙂 you made me laugh

Arsenal refused help of an oligarch? Hm, really? I thought they were disappointed when Abra chose Chelsea rather than us.

RA – you still did not explain why you think the AFC is the best in the world, or don’t you think that?

next victim please…

Eddie,

Here is my reply to Nicholas at 3:54.

— “For me, and many others, not least my friend Terry, the belief that Arsenal are the best club in the world is just a feeling that comes from the gut, and does not take account of who is the biggest, the most successful, the wealthiest – none of which applies to Arsenal — but no matter – to us they are the best and trying to rationalise that is impossible and pointless.”

It is, what it is, dear Eddie! 😀

it is what it is, ie bollix 🙂

I would not support another club, I suffer with our every defeat and gloat when we win, but I never consider us the best club in the world, which does not mean I don’t shout it on top of my little voice at the Ems

Eddie. MC are Johnny Come Latelys and will disappear as soon as the Oil runs out

Quite right, Eddie, and so you should! 🙂

There are so many reports on NN insisting the Benzema deal is ‘done’, despite Arsene denying there was any truth in the rumours last week, and yet you must be weary of it all because not even RC78 has bothered to make a comment about it. 🙂

At 28 he is too old for the £45m transfer fee supposedly agreed – and I do not think he is any better than Monsieur Giroud!

Zut Alors. 😀

36. RC78 says:

RA – been in a meeting the whole day…

As for Benzema and Cavani, no chance they will join us…Real will not sell and neither will PSG

I think the only rumour for the ST position that had weight on it was the one linking us with Aubemayang…Another name that has come in the past but may resurface is Alcacer (although if he plays tonight against Monaco, this lead will also go cold)…

Who is better than Giroud and available? You can argue the case for Jackson Martinez, Carlos Tevez and if you push it far, also for Benteke but they joined other teams. No FW/ST clearly better than Giroud (Aguero, Suarez, Lewandowski for example) has been available so shall you spend 45 Mln on Benzema when you have Walcott and Wellbeck in your squad? Shall you spend 50 Mln for Cavani? He might do well but it is too much…If you can get a deal for 30 Mln for Aubemayang or a 20 Mln for Alcacer, why not? But are they much better than Giroud? Not sure…

Good points RC.

I find the whole striker situation incomprehensible – we have let Podolski go; Sanogo of on a year’s loan, Danny Welbeck seems to be another Theo – always injured, we let Afobe go (a while ago), Akpom has gone on a year’s loan — so we have had a large clear out of strikers, and yet we now have to rely on Giro and a nascent CF career for Theo ( I have to say that incase you-know-who is reading 🙂 Oh, and plenty of pointless rumours.

Weird.

Raddy – wishful thinking 🙂 they are a big, massive club, lots of history, many trophies, nice stadium, excellent striking force, likable manager, sheiks safely in the background. Nothing you can fault really.

NG – do you want a medal?

I deny I ever said that, NG. 🙂

Leave it out.
    Man City are likeable compared to Chelsea, I’ll give you that.

The Club that bought Adebayor, Toure, Nasri. Clichy and Sagna, all at inflated prices as a result of money being no obstacle, doesn’t even vaguely compare to us.

Their stadium is leased.
    Their many trophies (before petro-dollars paid for some), are on a par with Totteringham Hotspurts.
    As far their history goes………….
    Third Division Play-off Winners (1): 1998–99
    says it all.

🙂

ok chas, they are rubbish, shit and all

what is that tweet above about?

Rasp/Peaches.

New post sent to your email’s.

RA,

I have no idea who the best team in the world are; my team’s the Arsenal and that’s all I need to know..

Not happy that Malmo are losing despite being the better team.

Eddie. Chas is absolutely right …. Northern Chavs.

Why would RM sell Benzema when they have other CF? Unless they sign Cavani from PSG which is unlikely.

We have Welbeck, OG, Theo and Sanchez who can play central striker – MU have Rooney and ??

Thank you for a superb read RA.

Best team, best club? Same, same but different, of course we are as you already know.

I am glad you brought up the Maurinho embarrassment, we have always derided the man but oh how sweet it is the the red tops are now doing the same to their one time golden boy. When the paper boy delivered the Sun this morning I couldn’t stop laughing at how they were depicting him as despotic Kim Jong-Un. This is a sea change as far as I am concerned and seems to be set to get funnier as the season progresses.

There’s a rumour coming out of Spain that is being taken seriously that we have done the deal for Benzema for £48m but RM don’t want it made official yet as they are negotiating other deals.

I’m not saying its true, but I shall say ITYS if it turns out to be 🙂

48. Shard says:

Arsenal are the best club im the world. In fact we are so good that most people will ever be unable to recognise this. 🙂

In this, I am happy. Arsenal are a big club, but make no claim to being the biggest unlike ManU who have repeated that lie constantly. It was very off putting and it’s one of he reasons the sky propaganda couldn’t get me to be a manu fan. Of course this is subjective, but so what? Doesn’t make it untrue.

I am puzzled by the fact that you said half the people in the world think fifa’s corruption is acceptable. I don’t think this is true. What is tue is that the alyernative would be worse for half the world, and the half thatsay they find it reprehensible wouldn’t feel so if it weren’t in their interest. It’s not just fifa. Olympics in beijing and rio are corruption riddled and shouldn’t be held there. Same with the commonwealth selection process for delhi. And within fifa it’s again africa, russia, brazil and qatar which show corruption. This suddenly disappears when these events take place in london, canada or the US. I refuse to buy that, and while this was not the point of your article, I feel strongly enough about it to express disagreement.

49. Shard says:

Also I’m on my phone which makes it harder to type. Which i’m sure will please many of you if it prevents me from rambling on and on 🙂

50. Red Arnie says:

Sorry, Redders and all, dont how the day whisked by! 😦

An excellent post, and fantastic chat, around a topic that is very emotive for me. You see, I was not lucky enough to be born into an Arsenal family. Supporting Arsenal was a matter of choice for me. I made this choice because, in my view, Arsenal is the BEST! 🙂

Football is tribal. Much as I love my Arsenal, what I love even more is the fact that there are many other clubs dotting the landscape, each with their own idiosyncracies, history and traditions. Thus, there are others who feel their club is the best. Good luck to them, and I am glad they are there.

This generates the batner and rivalry which keeps my support for the Arsenal going, in addition to the pleasure of a classy club, a classy manager, a classy team, and most importantly the classy fandom.

51. Red Arnie says:

I am glad that Arsenal is different from all other clubs. In some ways, it is even essential for me to hunt and find signs of such difference. For were it not significantly different, why would I support this club rather than any other.

Indeed, I hold the belief that Arsenal is dramatically different from all the others, numpties all. 😛 The class is different, the culture, the traditions, and the way they play and conduct their game.

Long may such differences continue. 🙂

52. Red Arnie says:

Any news of Kelsey?

53. Red Arnie says:

If I dont hear in the next few days, I will give a call.

Just a quickie Maureen is so wrong in his admonishment of his medical staff it’s untrue.

The law states that if the ref signals for physics to enter the field of play then whether they enter the field of play and treat the player or not the player has to leave the field.

This stems from the fact that as someone said earlier without a clear injury the ref is inclined to ask the player if he needs treatment. If he says yes and then makes a miraculous recovery without being treated he has still delayed the game and hence must leave the field.

If Maureen should be reading the riot act to anyone it is the player. He apparently has a problem with the way Costa is being managed too, hmmm who signed the player who limped through the CL final with a pulled hamstring and played the last of that league campaign with the same problem.

Maureen wouldn’t know the meaning of the word class.

We on the other hand are the best club in the world because we are The Arsenal.

Nice post RA.

Redders, I likely will not see any reply till later as I am leaving on a jet plane and don’t know when I’ll be back again, but I was wondering who would be your choice of striker to bring in?

Didn’t I read that PSG have given Zlatan freedom to leave?

This was encouraging about one of our youngsters

GIE. Could it be that McCarthy isn’t used to having players with talent as well as graft?

Enjoyed chas’s pics today – an interesting assortment. A couple of things came to mind –

in the first 6.57 the girl on the left bears a striking resemblance to my first wife, also if she is wearing high heels (as it seems she is) then I would caution her about stepping on grating 🙂

The last pic shows the evils of getting stoned (look at here eyes!!) – you end up eating very dodgy kebabs.

Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham supporters amongst London fan coalition challenging West Ham’s move to the Olympic Stadium

Too right, why should Hammers get the stadium paid for by a taxpayer

Good morning all.

Sorry that we did not see Arnie, Exile, LB and GN5, earlier when I was around, as you always add to any discussion. 🙂

Chas,

I loved those pics – and Raddy’s comments on them — which made me wonder why Wife No.1 became ex-wife No.1. 🙂

RA. She left me 😦

64. Red Arnie says:

Motning all.

Yes, lovely pics, Chas. 🙂

Redders. You are generous. I blame your living oop norf. 🙂

65. Red Arnie says:

Nice article, GiE. 🙂

Terry’s piece yesterday had me rolling on the floor for a good half hour! 🙂

66. Red Arnie says:

Continuing my account of the Edinburgh International Festival and Fringe. One of the best we have seen this year is “The 56” by an independent theatre group from Sheffield oop norf.

It is based on this disaster:

67. RC78 says:

GiE – there is no way PSG will part with Zlatan…

PSG has:
    – Cavani and Ibrahimovic as CF/ST and then Augustin (a promising young player but not proven at highest level) so no chance, they will sell him this year but they will let him go on a free if he decides to leave at the end of his contract next year;

– Some goals that will come from Di Maria, Lucas and maybe Lavezzi and Pastore but not more than 30 in the league between all of them so they have to keep Cavani and Ibra

PSG is my home team and I think that it is still short in terms of firepower in the sense that we would need a free scoring Winger as well…Depay and De Bruyne were linked with us but they decided on Man Utd and Man City and Pedro did not want to play in the French league…Depay and Pedro would have been a clear upgrade on Lavezzi but as it stands my home team does not look too shabby. I am just curious how we will fit Di Maria into the team since we are playing 3 in the middle:

The midfield is always: Matuidi – Motta – Verratti

Either Pastore, Cavani or Ibra will hit the bench with Di Maria coming into the squad…Let us see

CF/ST: Ibra, Cavani, Augustin
    FW/W: Di Maria, Lucas, Lavezzi, Ongenda
    AM: Pastore
    M: Matuidi, Verratti, Rabiot
    DM: Motta, Stambouli
    LFB: Maxwell, Kurzawa (? as Digne is off to Roma)
    RFB: Aurier, Van der Wiel
    CB: T.Silva, D. Luiz, Marquinhos, Kimbembe
    GK: Trapp, Sirigu, Douchez (for now)

My starting XI for PSG would be:

Sirigu – Aurier, Marquinhos, T. Silva, Maxwell – Verratti, Motta, Matuidi – Pastore, Cavani, Di Maria

Not many French players in there 😦

68. Red Arnie says:

“Maggie Thatcher: Queen of Soho” was good fun:

Raddy,

Was that before or after you laughed at her falling over when the high heels got trapped in the grating? 🙂

The upside is that you were handsome, funny and caring enough for her to marry you in the first place.

The pair of you were lucky! 🙂

RC,

With the quality of the players PSG have signed they will become the Madrid of the French Ligue Un – and life will become boring for the fans of all the other clubs. 🙂

71. Red Arnie says:

Budapest Festival Orchestra’s production of “The Marriage of Figaro” was just brilliant:

are we really selling Ozil??!!

73. ‘morning all, Arsenal have agreed terms for the transfer of Benzema from Real Madrid. Fact! The source of this startling news? Rodney Marsh on Talk Shite. So it must be true then. ROLF.

74. What makes you think that, Eddie?

75. Red Arnie says:

But the worst of the lot, and the most poorly produced we have ever seen in the Fringe, was the Indian entry “Ticket to Bollywood”. A pity, and a great disgrace.

76. Red Arnie says:

Redders. Life will become boring for their supporters as well! 🙂

77. Red Arnie says:

78. Arsenal have signed that act up for the half-time entertainment at Champions League matches this season.

79. Red Arnie says:

Another view:

80. Red Arnie says:

Norfolk. I hope not. 🙂

81. Who the hell is JanAage Fjortoft? And what does he know about Arsenal’s transfer dealings?

82. Red Arnie says:

He was the one who announced Ozil first. As good as any other numpty, but perhaps a bit more idiosyncratic. 🙂

83. So the Chavs have signed a player who can’t get a start in Barca’s first team.

Barca have let him go despite the fact that they can’t replace him due to the transfer ban that they are currently under.

Pedro, the “star” concerned, chose the Chavs in preference to Manure because his missus preferered to live in London rather than oop norf in Manchester.

Pedro will shortly appear at a press conference were he will reveal that he has always been a Chav fan and the little boy inside him insisted that he had to follow his dream and sign for the team whose DNA he carries.

84. stevepalmer1 says:

Morning all, I can see you had a very good education RA, i had to look up some of those words , but of course you worded them to to seem self explanatory blinding mate.

Of course all Arsenal supporter’s feel that their club is the best, i only wish i could say that, as when my club lift all of the trophies up for grabs i can quite honestly say we are the best.

Of course we are the best club to support, although prices could be cheaper and FA cup tickets should be more for the actual supporters of both clubs but apart from that yes the best club no doubts.

From a very young age, i picked Arsenal to be my club for life, not like many who pick a club when they are winning, i picked my club on club badges. I had a football mag that had all the club badges, i was young and knew bugger all about football clubs but i did like guns, and i liked playing football, my eyes glanced at the Arsenal Cannon and i was hooked , at that time i didn’t even know what Arsenal meant, but my father who was a Tottenham supporter explained to me that an Arsenal is where guns were stored, of course he tried to convince me that the Spurs were the way to go, but when i saw their badge which showed a chicken that put me off for life.

Many would say not the right way to pick a club for life, but in all honesty had i the chance to go back in time Arsenal would still be my choice. Great post mate.

Morning all …..