Sanchez Return to Fire the Gunners

Now I don’t like Me-rinho but I do have a grudging admiration for him and one cannot deny that he knows his football;. Last week he gave an interview about his expectations for the season stating it would be the hardest league to win ever – his reasons? The huge revenues from the upcoming TV rights which have improved the ability of mid-to-low table PL clubs to sign international quality foreigners, thus making talent differentials between the Top 4 and the rest less apparent. For example, Ayew given a 5m signing on fee by Swansea, Shaqiri choosing Stoke instead of a host of clubs throughout Europe and worst for us today – Cabaye moving from the riches and attractions of PSG to ply his trade at Palace.

Just think – Crystal Palace – a club with a ground capacity of just 26k attracting Cabaye plus a front line of Zaha, Bolassie, Bamford, Wickham and our good friend Chamakh! That alone is a massive wage bill.

When asked if he had tried to sign Cabaye Mr Wenger said “No, we have enough in that area”. I don’t believe him. Cabaye is quality and certainly better than the players we had in midfield a few years ago. He will cause us problems this afternoon.

Unknown

Pulls did wonders at Palace last season and will be looking to push forward this, a Top 10 finish must be his target.

And what about Arsenal? The less said about last Sunday the better and I would like to thank WH Bob for not getting in touch this week πŸ™‚ Β Can we expect better this afternoon?

We have to. This is a very, very good squad and the best we have had for many a year, we all know they could and should beat teams like CP, but ……. sadly, football is not about should’s, is it?

Debuchy looked rusty last week and Bellerin’s pace added to that of The Ox will be important given the pace of CP’s wingers. Β Our pace upfront will test the ageing CP centre backs and as such I hope for Theo to start in place of OG, the pointless crossing into a packed box creates nothing against a team defending in depth which is what we can expect this afternoon.

A fit and raring to go Sanchez is a major boon, I expect him to score our first goal of the season.

We won 2-1 twice last season a similar result would be very welcome today

p.s. There are two ex-Arsenal players in CP’s Best Ever Team. Who are they?

COYRRG

159 Responses to Sanchez Return to Fire the Gunners

1. PV4 says:

Mourinho is an ignorant, disrespectful arse who needs to be put in his place. He could NEVER do what AW has done, simply because wherever he has been he has had unlimited funds or little to no opposition. Somebody needs to shut him up.

2. The Cockie Monster says:

Hasty indeed Biggy !……………………….Pulis is at West Brom and Alain DePardeau is Palace chief !. πŸ˜€

Zaha and Bolassie are Arsenal fans !……..deep undercover behind the Sofa for me……very afraid !.

Got to be Wrighty and ?……………surely not McGoldrick !. hahaha

3. The Cockie Monster says:

MWG !………….Theory !……………….win and no transfers this week…….lose and Benzema signs !.
    Even worse, lose and we will be a massive one point gap behind the Spuds…..even draw and we are still behind them on GD with only 36 games left !.
    First two weeks into the season with no bragging rights or laughter will mean therapy lessons .

Cockie πŸ™‚ Good to see you read the post!

5. Dev-Sta says:

Firstly I agree with PV4 in terms of Maureenho, He’s a bigot that is constantly egged on by the media to be an even bigger one, If he was given the job at a team with no resources hardly he would be exposed for the fraud he actually is. There are managers in the non-league more in touch with reality than this fella, anyway that’s enough about the Portuguese wanker for now.

Today we have to be totally concentrated, add more width to the game and be aggressive, Palace winning last week will have raised their moral but also their expectations, if we fail to take this opportunity I fear the belief will vanish and we will play out a normal season, for us the kind of season a lot of pundits expect us to have…

So Come On You Gooners… lets kick some palace arses today!!

6. wally says:

Looking for a better performance today. A winning performance.

Here’s a piece of trivia that boggles the mind.

First hat trick at Highbury – Henry King 1914

Last hat trick at Highbury – King Henry 2006

It fits into the strange but true category…………..

Cheers, BR.

Ian Wright and Eddie McGoldrick?

Thia will be a very tricky fixture Raddy.

Palace are no pushover and the we are yet to figure out the way past a double decker defense and unfortunately everyone in the league knows that!

10. A belated good morning to you all, and before anyone says anything, yes I do know that technically it’s afternoon but I was brought up to believe that it was morning until the pubs shut at the end of the lunchtime seesion.

Thanks BR for yet another fine pre-match.

I think we may be in for a tough game this afternoon, not tough as in playing against the Orcs, but we may well be up against a very good side.

Alan Pardew is no mug, he’s a very astute manager who has got some very good players. He certainly won’t be parking the bus and he is tacticaly capable of springing a surprise or two, we may have to settle for a draw.

If Bellerin is fit he should replace Debuchy, we need someone to play alongside Coquelin and we need a bit of pace up front.

My prefered starting eleven…

…………………………………………Cech………………………………..

Bellerin…………….Mertesacker……………Koscielny……Monreal….

……………………….Arteta…………………..Coquelin………………….

…………Oxlade-Chamberlain…….Ozil………………Alexis……

…………………………………..Walcott……………………

11. I forgot to mention, I read that the Palace pitch has been re-laid, to what I think they said was, Elite standard. No excuses there then.

Here are today’s line ups.

Subs: Hennessey, Mariappa, Jedinak, Mutch, Lee, Bamford, Murray.

Crystal Palace to face Arsenal: McCarthy; Ward, Dann Delaney, Souare; Zaha, McArthur, Cabaye, Puncheon, Bolasie; Wickham

Subs: Ospina, Debuchy, Gibbs, Gabriel, Arteta, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Arsenal team to play Crystal Palace: Cech, Bellerin, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Coquelin, Cazorla, Ramsey, Ozil, Alexis, Giroud

Read more at http://www.arsenal.com/live#rotWTizHs3Q0ZGpF.99

Answer to post question:

Kenny Sansom & IW8

14. Well it looks like Wenger’s got his team selection wrong again.

Thanks for the PM Raddy.

Wenger’s team – no pace up front except for Sanchez??????

Looks like we’re hoping for a 1 nil to the Arsenal πŸ™‚

16. Rasp, I think the old boy has been watching that ad on the tele for Walking Football.

I predict that the ball will be passed endlessly between Merts and Kos while Ozil and Co. stroll casually upfield and the Palace defence has ample time to form up on parade in front of their goal.

17. Red Arnie says:

Thanks, Raddy. πŸ™‚ Have not had time to read the PM, yet. But will do so. πŸ™‚

Apols, Steve, knot ear yesterday, but what a fine post. πŸ™‚

COYG. πŸ™‚

I am not sure you are following current protocol, Raddy, we are used to going Postless for aeons, or at least days, and now you bang one out in an hour! A Post that is.

And a very good quality one, as usual. πŸ™‚

I have a certain doubt about part of your logic, which has been touched on in the comments above, and that is you have praised the sexist, midget Maureen, however grudgingly, and it cannot be denied he has been successful – but as the beneficiary of huge financial resources at whichever club he has been at.

Who could go wrong with the quality of players such as Hazard in the Chavs team, or Ronaldo at Real etc.

However, now other clubs are getting more funds becoming available to spend on better talent, he is coming over all precious and complaining about the slight levelling up – diddums.

There are very few people/managers I despise, but Maureen the narcissist is right up there and is highly over-rated – look, I could win the Premiership with the current Chelsea team, but hold on – it seems she is upset that Abramovitch has not lashed out more funds on yet more players — yet – and the team doctor is prettier than he is, and respected and lusted after in a way he cannot match. πŸ˜€

What a tart. Respect? I have none for him.

Norfolk,

Are you listening to the pre-match chat and Souness’ comments regarding ‘you know who’?

He must have been listening to me or reading the AA comments. πŸ™‚

Hi Rasper,

Did you get my email? I thought you were in Greece with the Wormer – apparently not! πŸ˜€

Theo and Ox on the bench!

Gone are the days of Attack, Attack, Attack

22. Redders, I think you’ve just hit the nail squarely on the head. The whole Chavs team are just plain ugly. The graceless, charmless Senhor Mourino is the ugliest of the lot.

Dr. Eva Carneiro is quite attractive and the Ugly One looks even uglier beside her. πŸ˜€

Hi NG, you may be right.

One of my main gripes during the slow start to last season was that we were far too slow in getting the ball forward. This is exacerbated by the lack of players who specialise in playing wide. So we can be slow getting the ball forward and then lack width in attack – not a great recipe!

24. Redders, I’m just about to turn the tele on. I never listen to the pundits pre-match drivel.

I hope I’m wrong, but it looks to me that our team selection could be playing right into Pardew’s hands?

26. stevepalmer1 says:

Nice one Big Raddy, PARDUE will be shouting his head off as usual, No love lost between the two managers, If Arsenal are at their best and we are as well they will win Pardue said.

We know we have a team that can beat anybody on the day, and today they need to show it

One can never be surprised about the contradictions in football, and not just the rumours on the blogs.

In his interview Pardew said that Cabaye had refused to play a game for Newcastle because he was convinced he was on the verge of a transfer to Arsenal.

Wenger in his interview denied any interest in Cabaye.

Cabaye in his interview said there was little contact with Wenger, and he never thought he was going to Arsenal.

At least one of them is lying, and possibly two or maybe all three for their own reasons.

Innocents like me are easily shocked by this misinformation — not! πŸ™‚

thank you Raddy, great PM. Glad you remembered in time πŸ™‚

come on Arsenal!!!!!

oh yeah, please don’t ask West Ham Bob to write again, it was his fault we lost last week, he jinxed it

FFS. 2 good chances wasted

make it 3 Raddy

Good news, we’re up to 16th in the table as it stands πŸ˜†

Top work OG!!!!

34. I said we should start with good old Ollie, didn’t I ?

Ooooh, now we’re up to 11th in the table. Well done Ollie, GoonerB and Redders are your 2 biggest fans πŸ™‚

we needed that after those early chances went begging

Yeah, who needs pace and width πŸ˜•

Hello All
    Thanks for pre-match BR – I’m sure I’ll enjoy it when I get to reading it at half time πŸ™‚

39. Red Arnie says:

what a strike by a CF who is slow and well past his prime! πŸ™‚ scuffed. πŸ™‚

Hi Rocky, it’s just like the old days ……. we’ve all found something to moan about again – and then be proved wrong πŸ˜†

Oops, we all got excited too soon 😦 we’re back down to 16th in the table

That is terrible bad luck. We have ben well on top and Ward couldn’t do that again if he tried a thousand times

Back down to 16th

44. Kos turned his back and Cech should have done better.

Rasper,

I cannot lie — that was a good goal from Ollie — but I am not really a big fan — I still think we need another CF — but not ……….. πŸ™‚

46. Red Arnie says:

It was in the corner, but before that Kos should have done better. 😦

I agree with you Redders. Ollie a very good second choice striker (first for some games) but not good enough if we want to win the CL

Where has the Ramsey of 2 seasons ago gone?

Can’t blame Cech for that one. The angle behind the shooter showed how it bent away from goal before coming in. It was just a really good strike.

I’m more worried about the space we’re giving them just outside our penalty area.

50. What’s with Cech???????

Afternoon all

Rasp
    The Ramsey of two seasons ago just nearly scored with a lovely little flick.

Bless him πŸ™‚

53. Red Arnie says:

Doom Doom Doom is good fun. Sometimes. But during a game? hmmm. 😦

I’d like to see Ollie sometimes try something different from the first-time flick. There were several instances in this game where the Palace defenders were looking for it and simply cut it off easily.

I think defenders have figured him out a bit.

On chances we should be 3 or 4 up – we just need to be more clinical.

56. For me there are one or two flicks to many. Save them for when we are 4 up and coasting.

Rasp, baby, did you see my 1:20? I am trying to track the Rocker down – or maybe you can send me his latest email address – if he says it is OK.

Puts you both on the spot!! πŸ˜€

I am watching the NZ v SA T20 it is rather good. πŸ™‚

ok by me πŸ˜€

I feel the need to apologise to anyone – well the one strange blogger on AA at the time – for saying that I was really looking forward to the new season with the new ‘super-charged’ Arsenal — but it is the same old- same old disappointing gang.

When I hear Arsene saying that he is looking for any player who can improve the squad ‘we will do it’ and think that Cech is the only one he can come up with – I am gob-smacked.

Like Norfolk, he must think I am a bozo.

phew……….

Told you we shouldn’t bother with crosses from the wingsπŸ‘§

Umm, anyone prepared to join me in raising money for a pair of specs for Rambo? πŸ™‚

Ok Arsene, sub Coquelin before we’re down to 10 men. Bring on the Ox and drop Santi back

Phew — Wenger has to take Le Coq off – he is going to let the ref do it.

So, Arsene is having a sneaky look at AA. πŸ™‚

See …. Arsene listens to me πŸ˜•

We’re back up to 11th ……..

Nope – he is reading my comments, Rasper — pure gold! πŸ™‚

The next thing he must do is bring Theo on – this spread out game is made for him,

Oh well, the equally speedy Arteteteta is just as good — bloody hell.

Arteta on to add a bit of pace

pacemaker more like πŸ˜€

We’re battening down the hatches

I hate it when AW tries to park the bus when we have a slender lead. Gibbs for Sanchez? Why not throw on Theo and pen CP back?

Time to name names — Rambo for all his efforts has had a stinker today!! Sorry!

75. wally says:

That was better, a bit.

Ramsey is too clever by half, or thinks he is. Keep it simple, you’re not Xavi.

Back to the engine room that was so strong at the end with Cazorla and coq.

Better test next week.

3 points which we deserved.

Best player for us – Santi

Best for them. The Keeper

Now we need a draw between city and chavs ( the favourites to win the EPL) and we are only 1 point behind city and 1 in front of the chavs πŸ™‚

….. and the game after that, we will have Benzema up front ……

We played well in a difficult game and deserved the win. With a little good fortune we would have been 4 up within 25 mins, as it was the CP defenders luck held.

I do not agree with the criticism of Ramsey.

A draw at MC would be good, as would anything but a Chav win. Expect Me-rinho to park the bus.

Time to name names β€” Rambo for all his efforts has had a brilliant game today!!

Color me maleable! πŸ™‚

81. A fair result, can’t complain really but I do wish they would cut out some of the tricks.

I think we’re asking too much of Coquelin, he needs somebody a bit more defensively minded along side him.

I think Aguero is going to score soon.

82. IanRealGunner says:

Kos has done exactly the same in the last 2 games. Stopped, put his hands behind his back and stood still (or turned as the ball whistles past him) Are our defensive coaches watching the same games? Terry or Cahill would be straight at the man making themselves big (as much as I hate to say it. But hey, we won, so well done boys, and a great goal by Ollie

83. Redders, would you like your malleable coloured using water colours or crayons?

84. fatgingergooner says:

Kos my motm. Best CB in the country.

85. Red Arnie says:

πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

BFG, Le Coq and Giro top points for me. Giro shades it for the goal. One of teh best I have seen in a while. πŸ™‚

86. Red Arnie says:

If there was one player who could be blamed for the goal, it was Kos. Turning around is not smart. πŸ™‚

Norfolk,

I think it is Cockie who likes his malleable coloured with spray paint – only takes a second.

Your prediction that Aguerro was going to score was spot on. Myself I think the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning – stap me vitals if it don’t!!

A degree in the US and another in the UK as well as a professional qualification in each country and I still cannot match your perspicacity!! πŸ˜€

88. Red Arnie says:

Anyway, cannot complain about a 2-1 victory away from home. Bring on Pool. COYG. πŸ™‚

it was a terrible game. What happened to our fantastic squad? We looked very average

Koz is superb – but he has developed a tendency, as Norfolk has said. to put his arms behind his back and look like a duck — as well as ….. well, ducking! πŸ™‚

The Chavs are lucky that the gorgeous Doctor banished by the sexist Maureen was not on duty today.
    The two injured players would not have been treated without the medical assessment and permission of the dictator for her to come on!

92. Red Arnie says:

Redders on fire. Some nice comments in there today. πŸ™‚

Why thank you, Arnie. πŸ™‚

why are chavs not wearing their away strip?

MC scoring first has made Thisted an entertaining game.

Just need a Chav goal and Hazard sent off

raddy – I am very unselfish and want City to win, 2 more goals for them please

oh lovely jubbbly πŸ™‚ one more please

yeeeeepppeeeeee !!!! Take that Jose!!

99. Red Arnie says:

ha ha ha. well done Evonne. πŸ™‚ cannot complain

arnie – did you see Maurinho’s thinking face? Trying to cook up an excuse πŸ™‚ Come on Abra, fire that ejeet again

2 points ahead of the chavs.
    I’ll take that at this stage of the season. πŸ™‚

102. Red Arnie says:

Evonne. Yes. πŸ™‚ and Chas, yippeee!!!! πŸ™‚ Just hope the silly season closes, and we can get on with supporting the good guys without too much DOOM. πŸ™‚

Life is short, and we are lucky to be Gooners! πŸ™‚

I had to walk the dogs. What did The Special one say after the game? Arsene must be laughing πŸ™‚

104. The Cockie Monster says:

Have a go at this !……..it said we should win next trophy in 2018 on my data !.
    Did a sneaky Spud one and it said they would win their next trophy in……..2011 !!!….and we all know that didn`t happen !. hahaha

105. Red Arnie says:

The Special One predicted HE will win the PL this season by 10 clear points

106. AA experts say “no width, no pace, wrong team selection, wrong subs and even “it was a terrible game”… Thank God for Arsene who knows what he’s talking about!

And Chelski got battered but Moaninho says they were the better team for half the game..priceless

Upwards and onwards with a fantastic squad already.

Sweeper – do you think it was a good game??

Eddie. I did. Really enjoyed the first half and was nervous for much of the second.

Just what I consider a good game as opposed to a complete one-sided thumping like L’pool will get next Monday.

109. I thought it was an excellent of football.

oh well, clearly I am in the minority, as usual πŸ™‚ I thought we looked very average, chaotic at times, nothing like the team that played pre-season. Terribly disappointing for me

111. Eddie, surely you weren’t taken in by the pre-season shenanigans.

They’re designed to fool fans I to buying tickets and shirts.

It’s always different when the season actually starts.

Wenger actually blamed the pre-season for the loss to West Ham.

We will find out a bit more about the squad next week when we play Liverpool.

112. Red Arnie says:

Aguero gets/makes a zillion clear chances. Takes the fifth, and he is the best striker in the world.

One hard-working Frenchman scores a miraculous goal from a cross that is well behind him. And he is only at best worthy to be a reserve player.

If this is not idolatry of the topmost order, fuelled by hype generated by numpty journos, I have probably lost my mind! hmmm.

113. Red Arnie says:

Arnie. Which striker would you rather have?

I still haven’t seen the West Ham game although I remember thinking that the team selection looked good but I did see yesterday’s game and I thought that we played well, plenty to be happy with.
    Palace have a good team, they were never going to be walk overs, and so to battle as we did and come away with all three points tells me that things are the way they are supposed to be at this stage of the season.

You have got to go for Aguero over Giroud every day of the week but I would go for Giroud over Bonnie and lets not forget it seems that only Diaby has a worse injury record than the Argentine.

116. GΓΆΓΆner In Exile says:

Morning all watched the game on record late yesterday as me and my Dad had DiY to do, well some call it DiY I call it Repairing a shit job done by a builder I paid…..anyhoo

Thought we looked good in first 45 could have been a bit more clinical.

In terms of strikers, I don’t think Benzema is much of an upgrade on Ollie, I haven’t looked but I bet their chance conversion is similar, Aguero offers two options in one player, like Suarez and probably Alexis given the chance.

It seemed we had quite a fluid attacking formation yesterday?

Eddie I didn’t answer your question about the EPL being mediocre yesterday, you asked if it was better than Spain where only 2-3 teams can win it, well I doubt many think more than 2-3 can win the EPL, however the mediocrity was more about the quality of team needed to win the relative leagues, Chelsea won last seasons EPL due to the first 4 months, they were terrible after Christmas and have continued that form in to the new season, finally looks like the years and number of games is catching up with Terry and Ivanovic, Maureen’s decision to remove Terry was as much to do with Ivanovic as Terry as he needed a centre back who could plug the gaps Ivanovic couldn’t fill.

117. Red Arnie says:

Motning all.

118. Red Arnie says:

It seems even Giro vids are Room 101 material these days. I posted one vid of yesterday’s goal last night and it is still in moderation. πŸ˜›

119. Red Arnie says:

Raddy. If it were a choice between two 20-goal-a-year strikers, I would prefer the one who has been with the club. Part of our family.

If it is a “guaranteed” 30-goal-a-year striker, I would prefer him over Giro.

Aguero may be better than Giro on his day. But he was rubbish yesterday, took 5 clear chances to score 1 goal. But the numpties sing his praise. All misguided propaganda fuelled by journos, IMO. If we cannot support and protect the good guys, who will? πŸ™‚

120. Red Arnie says:

Morning Arnie,

I don’t think that assessing the worth of any player that it should all come down to simple comparatives.

Giro has attributes that Aguerro does not have, advice versa.

It is not like you to describe anyone who has a different opinion to you, and thinks Aguerro with his crucial goal was worth praising, is a numpty.

I think, and said yesterday, that Giro’s goal was super, but for all his efforts he is not quite the CF I think we need — for example, Henry he is not, but that is not to say he is rubbish — he most certainly is not that — but we aspire to the very best, however unlikely that might be to happen!! πŸ™‚

— ‘advice versa should be —– ‘and vice versa’ Not me – the laptop. πŸ™‚

Incidentally, Arnie, I agree with Exile, as I have previously said I do not rate Benzema as better than Giro. πŸ™‚

So I hope Arsene is listening.

124. Red Arnie says:

125. Red Arnie says:

Redders. Where is the argument there? You say an upgrade will be good, I say YES, a guaranteed 30-goal-a-year upgrade will be good.

The only difference is that some people would slag Giro even on a good day, like yesterday, which I think is lack of loyalty towards a family member. Small margins. πŸ™‚

And I think even Aguero would tell you he had a bad day in office yesterday. πŸ™‚

126. Red Arnie says:

127. eoin2211 says:

Tony Pulis isn’t the Crystal Palace manager………..

No argument, Arnie, just an observation that I did not see you as intolerant of other people’s opinions.

“Numpties”? Oh, well my mistake.

129. Shard says:

I could only watch the first half of the game yesterday. And none at all of the city chelsea game. Its tougher to watch english football in england than it is in india : )

We should have scored more goals in the first half but all the same I felt uncomfortable with how we looked. I thought the team selection was correct though. We lacked control in midfield agaibst west ham. Looked better this time. But we seem to be lacking some zip. Maybe by next week we`ll get it back.

Also, it appears to me that we`re quite deliberately looking to cross more often. In both games. It might seem useless but our crossing has been poor the last few years so if there`s a clear instruction to work on it I think it might pay dividends later in the season.

On benzema v giroud. I really like giroud and am not a huge fan of benzema but i think he`s a better player. his conversion rates are much better, he`s quicker and a better dribbler. He`s decent at the hold up play and flicks and stuff though probably not as good as ollie. I think he wwould be a suitable upgrade and would fit in well at arsenal. As long as he`s mentally ready for the move out of his comfort zone in madrid and ronaldo`s shadow.

130. ‘morning all, Arnie you criticise Aguero for only scoring one goal from five chances and praise Giroud, rightly, for scoring an exceptional goal. However in the West Ham game Giroud had five good chances and fluffed every one of them.

I suspect that if you compared the two player’s goals to chances ratio Aguero would win hands down.

131. Red Arnie says:

“fuelled by hype generated by numpty journos”. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

However, having said that, I do not particularly like people who slag off the men who put the shirt on, right after having secured 3 points for us. Just a small matter of principle. πŸ™‚

Save your bacon for the day when we lose 0-5 maybe? πŸ˜›

132. Red Arnie says:

Norfolk. I said Giro was better yesterday, but Aguero is better than Giro on his day. What is wrong with that? πŸ˜›

Besides he belongs to our family, so I will support him till the end of time. What is wrong with that? πŸ™‚

133. Red Arnie says:

134. Arnie, since they were playing in two entirely different games against two very different teams and both scored one goal, it is difficult to see how they can be compared, particularly as they are two entirely different types of striker.

I do support all Arsenal players, but reserve the right to criticise any that fall below a certain standard. Just as I would criticise a member of my own family, only that I would do in private.

I agree with NG 11.13.

I am a big fan of OG but Aguero is world class and OG is not. That said there are few better CF’s in the PL than OG.

136. Red Arnie says:

Norfolk. Brilliant comment. πŸ™‚ After a win? hmmm.

I will be happy with a guaranteed 30-goal-a-year striker. Or perhaps even a 20-goal-a-year striker but only if he costs Β£10m or lower.

But then, perhaps, thats just me. πŸ™‚

137. Red Arnie says:

Raddy. “Aguero is world class … there are few better CF’s in the PL than OG”. Fair enough. πŸ™‚

Ollie is our product and, by your own admission, he is one of the best in the PL. Why would I slag him then? I would proud of him. Just as proud as I will be with veggies I have produced in my garden, or the brilliant meal that I have cooked. πŸ™‚

If I produced the best apples in Britain in my garden, would I go shopping in the market for the best apples in the world for over-inflated prices?

Or would I showcase to everyone my own produce? Ah, now, if a benevolent foreign farmer comes along and offers me his best apples in the world as a gift, I will be happy to accept. And also enjoy this once in a while.

That is my principle. πŸ™‚

Arnie,

I think you are shifting your position as the conversation moved on.

In any event you are confusing ‘principle’, which is a fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behaviour, with an opinion that is not always based on fact — otherwise AA could not exist! πŸ˜€

139. Red Arnie says:

Redders. A rolling stone gathers no moss. πŸ™‚

140. If we are to get all gnomic…..’When seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.

141. Peaches/Rasp, post e mailed to arsenalnuts.

I have come to understand that commenting on AA, or any other football blog, is not dissimilar to the consideration of the quantum mechanics of reality.

Now I am suggesting that any normal, law abiding and football mad denizen of AA would know about, or care about, trying to calculate both the position and the velocity of an electron.

But there is a ‘truth’ about any such ‘measurement’ in that these two concepts cannot be determined simultaneously. That is to say that if you were able to determine where a particle was you could to determine its velocity (movement) .

Equally, if you were able to quantify the particle’s movement, you could not tell where it was located.

For reasons that are difficult to understand, the knowledge of one, precluded (stopped) the knowledge of the other.

So to with comments made by any given blogger on here or elsewhere. Just when you are sure you understand where an individual’s point of view is coming from, it is impossible to relate that view to the given football reality of the matter in hand.

Hence, my reaction, or lack of it, to Barmy Arnie’s quoting of an old adage ‘A rolling stone … etc’ is a sentiment which is well understood, but its meaning in relation to a querying of the definition of a principle is simply mind blowing.

Equally, the definition/meaning of ‘principle’ is well understood, but its co-relation to the proverb ‘a rolling stone gathers….’ is totally incomprehensible. Don’t you agree? πŸ™‚

In summary: writing on AA is both an education and a pleasure —- and definitely beyond the ken of most of us!

N.B. The man who taught me all I know about the theory of quantum mechanics is, as you know, the incomparable Rocky so any questions on the subject should be addressed to him, as I do not have clue about what I have just written — altho’ at the time of writing the meaning was crystal clear. πŸ˜€

You will already have spotted the missing negative. πŸ™‚

That is to say that if you were able to determine where a particle was you could NOTto determine its velocity (movement).

Now that is the joy of communicating with intelligentsia on AA — altho- talking about ‘communication’ it seems the repeated requests to pass on my email address to Rocky, or vice versa seems to have defeated the comprehension of the Rasper. πŸ˜€

144. Hmm, “Quantum Mechanics is the branch of physics relating to the very small. It results in what may appear to be some very strange conclusions about the physical world”.

In view of the above Redders, your assertion that blogging on football sites is analogous to the quantum physics of reality leads one to suppose that in reality, your reality is very small. Which may account for some of the strange conclusions that you have come to in relation to football of late.

Since, as you admit, your knowledge of quantum mechanics was obtained second hand from the inestimable Rocky, you are indeed on rocky ground when refering to Red Arnie as Barmy Arnie.

A close look at Mick, Ronny, Keith and Charlie seem to disprove the old adage, as they all look quite mossy to me.

It seems that daily posts have become a thing of the past on AA. There are now only a few of us left who take the time to key in a few words.

I wonder if the author’s list should be updated to show only those who have written something in the last 12 months or so.

It seems that you can count the current author’s on your two hands and still have some fingers left over.

Just stating the obvious…………….

By the way Steve Palmer is not listed – unless he has a pseudonym.

GN5. Good point about the authors.

Early season is always difficult on the site as many are on holiday and others have yet to get passionate.

Others are very busy with work (as am I) and have little time to write.

Things can only get better!

Homer (and crap) refereeing at Anfield.

Thanks Raddy, I was not trying to be controversial and I understand that it’s a difficult time of year – I’m just frustrated at the seeming lack of interest.

The Liverpool goal was obviously offside based on the new interpretation. Coutinho was 2/3 yards offside when he raised his leg and tried to flick in the cross – he missed and the ball went through to Benteke who scored.

The Bournemouth keeper was clearly distracted by Coutinho and the goal should have been disallowed.

It really was a crap decision Raddy.

How to beat the bus

Though perhaps that should be just “morning”!

The L’pool refereeing shows that it does not matter a jot if a defence spends months working on the offside trap if the linesman and referee do not follow the rules.

It will be interesting to see how this develops through the season

154. Oh dear, where is everyone ……………….. there’s a new post from Norfolk, I’m just sorting it, back in a few minutes.

155. There’s a New Post everyone …………………

Hi Peaches,

I have jotted some musings below, that might help conversation as a headline Post if nothing better comes up. πŸ˜€

………………………………………………………………
    Arsenal Are The Best Club In The World – Right?

Controversy is the life blood of football, from the shenanigans of the governing bodies FIFA and UEFA who are no strangers to dubious practices, which are nonetheless seen as acceptable by half the world, and as reprehensible by the other half, as well as the all powerful clique of clubs and the cabal of managers noted for their self serving behaviour, often to the detriment of the fans, and then the football tribalism of the same passionate and committed fans warring among themselves.

As passionate, knowledgeable Gooners we would not find it at all strange or contentious to wholeheartedly agree with the question posed in the Post headline because, with certain reservations about the transfer policy of the manager and the Board, or the exorbitant cost of seat tickets, and similar concerns raised by one faction, or the other, we do believe that Arsenal are indeed the best club in the world, and that is why we support them, and many have done so for the whole of their sentient lives, and will continue to do so until the grim reaper taps them on the shoulder.

It does rather beg the question though as to why the supporters of rival clubs will vehemently disagree, if told by Gooners that Arsenal are the best club in the world, and will enthusiastically, if rudely, respond that their own club is the best in the world.

Why is this? Can’t they see they are wrong? πŸ™‚

Perhaps it is the human condition of tribalism that is at play here, and the urge or need to conform to community norms albeit in the differing environs of North London, the Midlands or Oop North to share a β€˜belonging’ with those we have grown up with or, in footballing terms, the sense of belonging to the community of fans who support a particular club. Not that this necessarily speaks to the many fans throughout the world who are equally supportive of their chosen club.

It would be futile in a short article to try and look at this issue at every level, so in addressing only what makes fans tick, let’s have a look at some current-ish issues that have cropped up recently.

There has been a big hoo-hah over the very public admonishment and shameful questioning of the Chelsea club doctor’s professional competence which Mourinho lamely tried to disguise as a footballing knowledge requirement on when to run on the field of play to help an injured football player — in other words when Dr Maureen says so. Pissht.

Many fans, including most of us Gooners, thought this was a shabby display of dictatorial and sexist behaviour on the part of the manager even though he had in fact belatedly included a male employee in his tirade.

But that was not the view of the vast majority of the Chav fans, who were supportive of Maureen and gleefully told themselves this was an example of the manager’s winning mentality – even though they did not win that game – or the one against Man Citeh, where two Chelsea players went down simultaneously and the replacement Chelsea doctor had to be helped out by the Citeh medical team running on. Did they respect your medical/football knowledge wishes too, JosΓ©?

This not a refection on the Chelsea fans who saw nothing wrong with Mourhino’s stance, because it is unquestionably the case that if this scenario had been played out at Old Trafford, instead of Chelsea, the ManUre fans, who for years were well versed in supporting Old Red Nose in some of his wildest rants, would have supported their manager in the same way – and conversely the Chav fans would then have joined the rest of us in pillorying the ridiculous attitude of the Manure manager in this hypothetical instance.

Was it the case that, in these instances, the outcome was the result of the tribal instinct to which, as fans, we are all prone?

Well, it has been said on here, and elsewhere, that the support Maureen got was borne out of misplaced loyalty, and that the Chav fans really did know he was in the wrong, but were more than happy to indulge in a little bit of cant and hypocrisy as part of the β€˜defence’ of the Chelsea community and a manager who has been successful for them.

In human beings there is a complex and powerful desire to conform to the group mood or ethos, and those fans supporting their manager are not knowingly intending to lie or pretend. This human condition actually makes our brains rationalise the facts and to change the way they are perceived, which is different to how others see them.

Take the rationalising of penalty incidents, for example. This inevitably results in opposing sets of fans seeing the same incidents in very different and opposing ways too. “He deliberately chopped our player!” “No, he is a diving cheat!” and so on, and on.
    The same incident, if reversed, would have the same fans crying out the opposite views, if it were the other team’s player involved.

There is a phenomenon that occurs on all blogs, and it is something that we are all aware of and it relates to the fact that we can quickly become aware of other people’s biases, whether it is towards certain players, or the behaviour of the managers, or the ethos of other teams, or, dare I say it – other bloggers – and yet at the same time we are completely detached or impervious to our own biases, which are obvious to others.

There is a formulaic phrase that is becoming common, and which some see as essential to protect good relations between bloggers with opposing views, after it has become all too obvious that further discussion has descended into being a pointless dialogue of the blind, and that is β€œwe will have to agree to disagree” which is immensely useful when it becomes clear that no purpose is fulfilled by further debate.

So, Arsenal are the best club in the world, right? Umm – Yes β€”and no β€” it depends on who is being asked. πŸ˜€