Benzema is the only striker Arsenal ‘might’ buy

The rumours surrounding Arsene’s admiration for Benzema have been around for several years now. He ticks all the boxes for a striker – big, strong, quick, good finisher and at 27 just reaching his peak, although the sell-on price in 4 years would represent a loss.

Any player who can score 87 goals in 188 games for Real Madrid playing alongside greedyguts me me me Ronaldo must have some quality. Benzema also provides plenty of assists and works hard for the team. He’s no Prima Donna, he doesn’t dive or spend ages lying on the floor pleading to the ref when he’s tackled. He’s a good honest footballer.

I think we all know that Cavani is out of our reach (even if we want him in the first place), Higuain apparently has a ridiculously high buy-out clause, so I reckon if we do sign a big name striker then there is only one candidate out there.

The question of course is whether he is any better than Giroud. My answer would be that he is as much an improvement on Giroud as Petr Cech is on Szczesny, and if we want to go to the next level we will be dealing in smaller incremental improvements. Szczesny is 8 years younger than Cech and may be prepared to bide his time whereas Giroud is a year older than Benzema.

Benzema is more mobile than Giroud, he is quicker and more effective in tight spaces and a better finisher. He tracks back for Real more than Giroud does for Arsenal but maybe wouldn’t be required to do so if playing up top in a 4:5:1 for us.

Is he too much like Giroud? – maybe. What would we do with Giroud if we signed Benzema considering we have Sanchez to score the goals? – good question, I have no answer for that.

Personally I’d like to see Benzema at Arsenal, but I can only see that making sense if we sell Giroud and I think that is unlikely.

Rasp

265 Responses to Benzema is the only striker Arsenal ‘might’ buy

1. wally says:

Benzema in would probably mean giroud or walcott out.

More importantly we need cover for coquelin. Playing 40 or so games would be a big ask of him. Arteta is past it and it’s hard to see who else at the club could reasonably fill that role.

Hard to understand why we weren’t in for schneiderlin.

Oh pleeeeease will one of you 7 who voted “not bovvered” come on and explain

Thanks Rasp 🙂

Yes, I’d like Benzema, because if he’s good enough for the Madrid 1st XI, he’d make a decent squad player for us.

Hi Micky, there are 9 ‘not bovvereds’ now.

I think Benzema would expect to be our number one central striker if he joined, not just a squad player 🙂

Personally I voted no, the reason being that the hike in wages to pay for a player of only marginally better quality than Giroud is in my opinion not worth it, obviously we’d have to sell Giroud as I don’t see him wanting to play second fiddle.

No I’ve said it many times before if we are looking for a new striker I’d rather it went on an Aguero type and that’s where Arsene and his scouts come in, finding someone technically skilful with bags of pace but able to play in the premier league and stand up to the 6ft+ machines that occupy the centre back position at most clubs without wilting away.

Hi GiE, I agree with you about an Aguero type. If I could have any striker at Arsenal it would be Aguero. The problem is there seems to be only one Aguero out there 😦

6. Awe Samson says:

Benzema is a perfect buy for arsenal. i believe arsenal game philosophy fits his game style. he is in the ranks of aguero, tevez, higuain, even ronaldo.

True Exile and Rasp

If we’re looking for a proven massive upgrade, the options are almost nil when you look at availability

I know I position myself firmly in the spend big camp and I have a terrible reputation to uphold, but as there’s no one around, so strictly between us, I still think Theo or Danny could be the solution

Shhhh, secret squirrel

I agree Awe, so it’s Benzema or nothing. I guess this Lanzarote fella from Lyon may be the swingers, but certainly no guarantees there

Wow only another 24.5 hrs and I can watch the 1st Arsenal game of the new season.

Live 6:00am Everton vs Stoke City
    *2015 Premier League Asia Trophy
    Sportsnet World,

Live 8:30am Arsenal vs Singapore
    *2015 Premier League Asia Trophy
    Sportsnet World,

GN5
    And I promised myself a break from blogging to re-charge the batteries
    I’ll take an hour or so’s well earned rest tomorrow
    Perhaps

Rasp, Good question – but only “Arsene knows” the final answer.

In the few (only CL games) times that I’ve watched him play I’ve viewed him as professional plodder and I’ve not been that impressed….very similar to Giroud.

Micky I didn’t realize that you were also a spreadsheet man, I’ve got a stack of data on Arsenal that I would be only too pleased to share with you…………

For those interested in animals we have a beautiful rabbit that uses our garden as it’s grazing ground. Every morning at 6:00 am it sits outside our patio door and waits until I throw it a carrot, it stays around all day and then returns to the patio door at 6:00 pm until I toss it another carrot.

My grandchildren think it’s just the graetest thing having our own “pet” wild rabbit.

GN5
    Don’t you dare send me a spreadsheet
    You just let me know where to send the cheque for my leather bound copy 🙂
    Lucky grandchildren. Fantastic
    Boing, and I’m off again

Hmmm, Danny or Theo could be the solution? Maybe. Out of the two, I think Theo could get us more goals in the immediate future, but Danny contributes more to the team play.

I’m just a bit worried about Danny’s injury history, I do hope he doesn’t fall into the ‘prone’ category in the next few seasons 😕

Benzema 2015

I’m at my desk working so I’ll be on line for a while today.

La Cazette 2014/15

19. Shard says:

I’d be very surprised if we signed Benzema. He’s apparently a favourite of the Real Madrid president, and I’m betting Ronaldo likes him too seeing as Benzema’s happy to play second fiddle to him and be a creator for him.

And that is where I’m also iffy about Benzema. His attitude. He doesn’t always seem very interested (though people say that about Ozil, so that doesn’t mean much). He reportedly also likes a drink or two. Plus, is he ready mentally, to be THE guy. Step out from Ronaldo’s shadow and be the main man? Like Alexis did by leaving Barcelona and Messi.

If his mental issues are not a problem (and Arsene would know) then I would be very happy to have him in the team. He’s similar to Giroud so won’t take away from our existing style of play, but he’s faster, a better dribbler, and a much better finisher.

I also disagree that buying him would mean selling Giroud or Walcott. It might mean Walcott and Welbeck will have to accept being wide forwards, but I don’t think it means they will have to leave.

Benzema, Giroud, Walcott, Welbeck, Alexis, Ox. 6 players for 3 slots. That seems to me to be perfectly acceptable. Especially as Ox could also get some game time in other positions.

This is very funny. It’s a spoof call to Absolute Radio pretending to be Andy Murray and his mum – wait until his mum comes on. Click the middle picture titled ‘Murray and his Mum’

Hi Shard, I think Benzema has one of those ‘not interested’ faces.

I don’t think he lacks effort at all, but I do share your reservations as to whether he could step up to be the main man.

22. complete ponce says:

Benzema would be a good buy, Rasp, cheers.

If reckon that Lavarotti is a more likely purchase, though.

24. X says:

Hello Fellows, 🙂

I know that some of you are budding managers, so when I read the attached I thought some of you might need to be careful.

—— POLICE in Manchester have warned football managers to be vigilant following a daring swindle yesterday.

The swindler, going by the name of ‘Brenda’ and described as short, in his early 40s and almost supernaturally self-confident is thought to have swindled an elderly Chilean in Manchester.

A police spokesman said: “The victim was told he was buying £49m worth of quality goods but on closer inspection it appeared to be a Shaun Wright-Phillips knock-off with no guarantee.

“It’s particularly distressing that this was a vulnerable older gent who just two years ago was cheated out of £25m for a worthless Jovetic.

“There seems to be a rash of these crimes at the moment – down the road at Old Trafford a Dutch pensioner asked us for advice on buying what appears to be German goods five years past its sell-by date.”

The motive for Sunday’s robbery is thought to be malicious as well as financial, with the main suspect previously involved in a Balotelli deal that went badly wrong. The police have warned the public not to approach him as he’s believed to be carrying a Lovren.

Other managers have been advised to mark their players with a UV pen and photograph them wearing the club shirt, to prevent them falling into the hands of Aidy Ward.

Logan said: “Sunday’s victim is trying to make the best of things but all too often such goods are sold off two years later for a massive loss. Usually to Harry Redknapp.”

You have been warned. 🙂

x nice
    Chas Planets, Matterhorn, A Wizard. nice

Couple more days of this and we’ll be playing I-spy

Excellent Matterhorn identification. Tick VG

…something beginning with ‘T’.

Not sure about our diamonds on the away shirt. Bit too bling for my liking.

Listening to Guardian Football Weekly this weeks summer interlude was an interview with Matt Le Tissier, not good to hear he was a Spurs fan as a kid, but at least he realised signing for them when he was21 and terms had been agreed would have been a big mistake.

What I found interesting was his response to the “lack of ambition” flak that he gets. He explained that he had achieved his ambition. He came from Guernsey, zero football heritage and his one ambition was to become a professional footballer, not to be scoring winning goals at Wembley. He achieved that against the odds of his upbringing.

Second fascination was his wages, that he wouldn’t have preferred to play today and earn the untold riches.

Just a very sensible bloke once you get over the bombshell of being aSpurs fan.

Been up all night trying to think of something beginning with ‘T’

Drawn a blank

Exile, must see this away shirt. Sounds horrible

Cech settling in

‘T’ is for Transfer Window.
    Yet another one where we refuse to strengthen; apart from buying a goalie with a broken head.

Don’t know about you, but I found that shirt launch vid kinda creepy

The players must occasionaly ask themselves what the hell they’re doing

They must be hating it, Micky.

In that launch video were the Singaporeans singing “….And MyanMar” instead of “….And Leicester”?

Yes, you’re probably right

Even if it’s the last day of the window, I reckon Arsene will buy one more player. Just add that extra bit of quality each summer

Anyhoo, it’s matchday.
    1.30pm kick off Sky Sports

“And MyanMar”

Gok knows 🙂

Micky

I bet you could find a nefarious use for this……..

You see what I mean. Creepy

ha ha ha

Talking of dolls, haven’t watched this for a while.

Got that one. Bought it for Oscar when he was about 6. Bloody love it. Although it’s a bit like having an Exile Lookey-likey in the house. Again, a bit creepy 🙂

Trousers are too long for GIE.

Wow, what a result
    On Rasp’s Poll, the Ain’t Bovvereds beat the Nos

I went for Not Bothered after seeing your early comment. 🙂

I knew you would 🙂

Chelsea are confident of beating both Arsenal and Liverpool to the signing of Barcelona forward Pedro after meeting a £22m release fee in the 27-year-old’s contract. (Daily Star)

Arsenal have made a £10m bid for Napoli defender Faouzi Ghoulam, with the 24-year-old being lined up to challenge Kieran Gibbs and Nacho Monreal at left-back.

Arsenal have failed in an attempt to sign Barcelona’s forward Lionel Messi, 28. The clubs had agreed a £50m fee but the Gunners could not agree personal terms with the player.

Costa Rica striker Joel Campbell could be leaving Arsenal for good, with former Manchester United boss David Moyes ready to spend £6m to take the 23-year-old to Real Sociedad.

Eddie

Quite like the way you slip the Messi news in casually below a Nacho Monreal back up 🙂

Actually, can you imagine Barca flogging Messi. There’d be a revolt, and they’re pretty revolting at the best of times. The Welsh of Spain in many ways, only you could argue Barcelona is a nicer than Llandrindod Wells

58. Even Benidorm is nicer than Llandridod Wells 🙂

Now that is taking the piss NB

I suggest you clear off, have a drink, and then come back with a better attitude 🙂

60. Micky… take it from someone who was forced to live in Wales for a short while (hiding from someone) in a place called Cwmllynfell. Amongst rugby players, miners and sheep… on the edge of the Black mountains with nothing but rocks and grass, I had to walk around looking like this…

and agree with all the men in the local working mans club that older sheep were easier to shag than younger ones.

Henceforth… Benidorm would have been a better choice.

my comments go missing again 😦

62. Shard says:

Once when I was in the UK, I had access to only the 4 tv channels that are free to air, and I came across a series called Benidorm. With no other options I tried so hard to like it. But it was the biggest piece of tottenham ever. Worse than freaking reality shows. Benidorm might be a beautiful place, but it’s tainted in my mind 🙂

NB 🙂

You must have really really upset someone’s Husband, and to be honest, I am not terribly surprised

ps I think the bloke in the pic looks great

I love north Wales

65. These are the local kids I used to see every Sunday playing rugby on the local slag heap.

66. Eddie.. someone has to 🙂

67. Shard… Benidorm was tainted long ago by the Brit thugs, hooligans and pissheads 🙂

68. Didn’t Gareth Bale buy a place in Benidorm after his move to Real? Just goes to show that the Welsh have style ha ha

69. OK I’m gonna listen to Mickys’ suggestion and go off and have a drink… it is nearly 11am 🙂

Shard the Benidorm TV series is one of those shows for me, characters are ghastly I really shouldn’t watch it but like a scab that shouldn’t be picked I just can’t resist if it happens to come on and end up watching it all.

Nice one Rasp

I like Benzema. The guy looks like hes killed a few Romans in his time. Unlike Giroud, who would make a good house servant to Laurence Olivier.

A big buy striker is what excites. Mcdonald, Nicholas, Hawley, Henry, all made the palate salivate. Though one of them turned out to be a big disappointment, but I still liked Charlie.

Arsene will move only after testing the squads pre season development and fitness. Its the right approach, if players stay fit and develop as expected, we may have all we need.

Shard, Benidorm is crap mate, but there is always some really tacky and cheap women characters on it that make for realistic sexual visualisation.

So I watch it..

73. ‘morning all, good question Rasp, Of course I’d like to see Benzema at Arsenal, along with Cavani, Messi, Lewandoski and any other world class striker you can name. The fact that none of the above will actually sign for The Gunners is beside the point.

Where’s the prematch? Where’s Big Raddy when we need him? 😀

74. What a great day’s sport in store for all sport loving couch potatoes.

11 o’clock The second Test match from Lords.

!.10 Arsenal vs Singapore,

and last but not least Le Tour, can Chris Froome extend his lead with another stunning win like yesterday?

75. 2012 says:

Hi everyone, it’s been a while….

Does Walcott not like to wear his number in Singapore?

Aaron Ramsey and Theo Walcott of Arsenal
    Theo Walcott of Arsenal
    Arsenal Training Session

76. 2012 says:

Rasp, if it is true that Arsenal are refusing to extend Monreal’s contract, Wenger must have an upgrade lined up. I would love to see a better left back playing for Arsenal, because Monreal was very good last season 😉

It’s more likely a “creative” article: At the start of June Monreal said he would love to stay longer at Arsenal, but since this is the middle of July and nothing has been announced, it must mean he’s leaving for Bilbao. 😀

Great pics 2012

A happy fit Theo could be very good news indeed

78. 2012 says:

Sorry I should have mentioned those Walcott photos were taken by Stuart MacFarlane, the Arsenal photographer, not by me 🙂

Any Team News 🙂

How good does that sound!

c/o AFC.com

Team in full: Martinez, Debuchy, Mertesacker, Gabriel, Monreal, Flamini, Coquelin, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wilshere, Iwobi, Akpom.

At your service Micky…………….

TEAM NEWS: Wilshere starts in Singapore

Arsène Wenger has named a side with a mix of youth and experience for his side’s opening game in the Barclays Asia Trophy.

Arsenal take on a Singapore Select XI in the Singapore National Stadium, but there will be no debut for Petr Cech.

Emiliano Martinez starts in goal, with first-team regulars Mathieu Debuchy, Per Mertesacker, Gabriel and Nacho Monreal making up the backline.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Francis Coquelin and Jack Wilshere also start, while Chuba Akpom leads the line.

Subs: Szczesny, Bellerin, Toral, Zelalem, Crowley, Willock, Cech, Gibbs, Chambers, Koscielny, Ozil, Walcott, Arteta, Cazorla, Giroud, Ramsey.

Copyright 2015 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to http://www.arsenal.com as the source 15 Jul 2015

Snap.

Alex Iwobi

Talented winger Alex starred for all three academy teams last season and caught the eye during the under-18s’ run to the Youth Cup semi-finals.

An exciting dribbler with an abundance of pace, the playmaker scored eight goals in 35 appearances during the 2013/14 campaign.

Alex Iwobi Profile
    Born May 03, 1996
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Position: Striker
    Squad Number: 45

The Lagos-born attacker, who is the nephew of former Bolton star Jay-Jay Okocha, can play on either wing and has the ability to unlock defences with his direct style and incisive passes. Alex signed his first professional contract

Read more at http://www.arsenal.com/academy/players/alex-iwobi#9stKiMu5ZPS6chgy.99

Jon Toral

Talented midfielder Jon returned from injury in November and went on to make 15 appearances for the under-21s last term. The Spanish playmaker made 15 appearances for the second string and 20 overall for the academy, scoring five goals.

An expert dribbler who can play on either flank or in the No 10 role, Jon was named in the first-team squad for the trip to New York and also featured in the pre-season friendly against Boreham Wood.

Jon Toral Profile
    Born February 05, 1995
    Reus, Spain
    Position: Midfielder
    Squad Number: 56

Jon committed his long-term future to the club when he penned his first professional contract in February 2012, and will spend the 2014/15 season on loan at Brentford.

Read more at http://www.arsenal.com/academy/players/jon-toral#4JFmAbH3Us5rWHQU.99

85. 15 minutes to the first game of pre season, who’s on the sofa?

Daniel Crowley Profile
    Born: August 03, 1997 Coventry

Position: Midfielder

Squad Number: 62

Previous Club(s) Aston Villa

Technically-gifted playmaker Daniel signed professional terms in August after a stellar first season at the club.

After joining from Aston Villa last summer, Dan produced a number of eye-catching displays for the under-18s and was quickly promoted to the under-21s squad before sustaining an ankle injury in January.

The Coventry-born youngster has an eye for a killer pass and displayed his potential as a goalscoring midfielder, netting three times in the under-18s’ run to the last four of the Youth Cup.

Read more at http://www.arsenal.com/academy/players/daniel-crowley#FgMOZP7ATCxL0y89.99

Christopher Willock Profile

Born: January 31, 1998 London

Position: Striker

Squad Number: 77

Highly-rated prospect Chris gained praise for his exciting displays for the under-18s last term and was rewarded with a stating place in the first team’s friendly against Boreham Wood in July.

The skilful forward made 10 appearances for Carl Laraman’s side and will be aiming to force his way into the under-21s squad this season while making an impact in the Youth Cup.

Read more at http://www.arsenal.com/academy/players/christopher-willock#cruJulL793OuJgTL.99

It’ s great start to the day NB, I’m in my (home) office comfortably seated, computer at hand and 42″ TV tuned in to Arsenal v Singapore 11.

Can it get any better than this so early in July?

89. Hello London, Canada…. your fecking TV is bigger than my living room 🙂

Hey there Northbank, how are you doing these days?

The other day you were threatening to resurrect Gunnersaurus, is the still a possibility?

Heloo chaps and chapesses. Been AWOL recently so have you missed me….Yeh I thought not….

Thanks Rasp. If we are to recruit then, of the likely available candidates, Benzema is probably the best option. I still stand by my feeling that Ollie is not quite good enough for us to win the EPL as 1st choice number 9 (but is fine by me as an option from the bench). I feel Benzema is quite a bit better than Ollie.

It is not just about goal-scoring stats it is about how suitable a certain striker is to how we play (or at least want to play), and about which striker brings the best out of the players around them. I think we need a pace striker who can play in the wide channels almost creating a rotating front 3. I felt that Ozil was far happier looking up and having a defence splitting option of a forward pass when Walcott was up top which I don’t feel you get with Ollie.

If we don’t get a striker, like Micky, I still feel we can win the EPL, but for me it would require one of Walcott, Welbeck or Akpom to have a break-through season. For this to happen AW will need to do a 180 turn and promote one of them to first choice number 9, and give them a run of games in the role as oppose to back up to Ollie.

There is a risk in hoping this will happen as none are regularly proven as top number 9’s yet (where Benzema perhaps brings more guarantee), but IMO they all have more potential than Ollie to be this top number 9. I do feel we have seen the best Ollie can deliver and for me it is not quite enough.

The most likely candidate is Walcott and I hope AW more permanently removes him from the wide position (unless injury needs dictate it) and plays him predominantly as a striker.

Also interested in the option of Jack from the attacking right as I believe he could be very good in this role even if he is eventually destined to play where Santi did last year. Not seeing the game (recording and watching later) so I don’t know if Jack starts and in what position.

Also only recently caught up on other posts so a big thanks to GN5 for his usual high standard blast from the past and to Norfolk for trying to increase the sophistication and intellectual level of the site by making us all mini Wordsworth’s. Great try mate but it aint gonna happen, not while you have the likes of GoonerB, Gooner B and GoonerB floating around the site….(better make a mention of Terrance as well…..

93. Yes GN5

Will be up and running this coming Sunday morning… in the process of typing some bollocks ready for the wekend 🙂

94. How decadent, lunchtime football 😃

Love the new away kit, makes us look mean.

95. Good to see Debooshy back in the team

Iwobi is really impressive.

Good news NB, I’ll be there!

How are we playing?

99. Akpom goal,,,, not bad

100. GIE

I’d say were probably on top…. just a bit rusty

101. I should hope so GN5 🙂

Have you got a more reliable barman, the last one spent all his time on a shagging crusade.

103. The bar will be open come rain or shine… however, shagging is obligatory for the barman but I’ll try to be there to serve your single malt 🙂

Budge up
    Missed 1st 45mins of season 🙄

105. One Nil to the Arsenal….. half time pint

GunnersoreArse back up would be great 69. I very much enjoy taking the piss out of you and also find your perversion disguised as art most invigorating.

I wouldn’t believe 69s bragging GN5. When he was over in London I called him to let him know I had sorted a couple of birds for a meet.

He went all “funny”, asking if he should turn up pissed or to calm nerves further, the usual paralytic? He then started yapping on about how he if she manhandled his toothbrush it was a capital offence and if she wanted a smoke, it would cost her half her phone credits for a quarter ounce.

The last straw was when he asked if her bathroom was non slippery and had a sturdy lock.

Terry, I’ve also heard that he also gets his victim’s to sign a non disclosure agreement, that’s after he has administered the applicable drugs.

108. The Cockie Monster says:

I`ve heard that the Piss Artist can only get it up using the support of an Easel and looking at a post modern impressionist painting of the Eiffel Tower whilst a berry wearing French Resistance Agent strokes and caresses baguette and two onions !………………………..2-0 to the Arse !.

109. ha ha …. Terry offered me his missus cos he said even his viagra tabs didn’t work anymore and a younger fitter 61 year old could probably do a better job than him.!

and talking about ‘applicable’ drugs, where’s the Big Raddish these days?

110. Here’s a picture I found of TMHT’s missus.

111. 3 – 0 to the Arse

112. The Cockie Monster says:

I can confirm that `69er !…….as I was the painter !…….the 6 Red Bulls may have influenced my creative talents !………………3-0 to the Arse !.

hahaha, thats a spitting image 69. Except her feet are a bit bigger.

Dont tell me the score for gawds sake, ime recording it.

115. The Cockie Monster says:

Hattrick for for Akpom !………..4-0 to the Arse !

hahaha chas, Charles Chubby Atkins looks like that geezer who walks down Wood Green High Road asking people for a box of matches. I think hes done bird for insane arson.

Cornwall, is Wilshere playing well?

121. Good game and a run out for some of our youngsters… well done Chuba.

122. The Cockie Monster says:

Only saw the score on Sky, Stretch, so no idea about Jack !…….off to Gym to turn the ladies off of my toned body !…..if I could only eat some more pies and turn the ladies off with some extra timber !. hahaha

123. The Cockie Monster says:

I shall watch the game on “Player” tomorrow (if it`s on) whilst drinking a detoxing mixed red berry smoothie and wondering ….”If only I was an obese ugly bastard who could pull the birds !”……………..hold on a sec` !…………….I could easily put on the pounds !……. but to get Eddie, I need to be as ugly as an ex-Stoke player !…….back to the drawing board !. hahaha

Come home early to watch the recording. Couldn’t resist.

Yeah, terrible curse been good looking Cornwall. It could be worse mate, we could be like 69 and look better upside down. hahaha

125. Now, let me think, when was the last time we won a game 4 – 0? Oh yeah! The FA Cup Final.

Happy days are here again….:D

126. A trial to see if I can log in.

Enjoyable catch up read of the comments and pics – then there was Norfolk at 10:34!

The Test Match does not start until tomorrow, so if you are sitting there thinking it is a prolonged ‘rain delayed play’ ………… 🙂

On a serious note: I am worried about Rocky – has anyone heard from him lately?

Good point RA. No we haven’t heard from him since the cup final.

Maybe he is writing a Monday special for start of the season!

As for the quotes from Wenger regarding Akpom I did think when he scored a hatrick that Mickys desire for an expensive centre forward may have sunk 🙂

But then again singing Akpoms praises also serves two other purposes, 1) means we get good loan fee money, 2) hopefully convinces any club we are currently bartering with to stop trying to hold out for a ridiculous sum of money.

Hi GIE,

Hope you are right about Rocky, he is such a good guy I hope he is OK. My emails to him are not getting thru.

I think AW has said that Akpers will not be going out on loan next season – I know Arsene speaks with forked tongue sometimes — but I understand that he thinks that coming off the bench from time to time will advance the youngsters career more swiftly than a loan would.

I would understand that view RA, but when I saw the line up I was wondering whether any of our youngsters should go on loan and where would be best for progression.

Undoubtedly Jacks spell at Bolton towards the end of one season pushed him on quick. But I think to an extent it’s easier to blood youngsters in the PL if they are midfielders rather than goalkeepers, defenders or strikers.

They are all key positions, Premier League clubs that borrow our youngsters are likely to be bottom to mid table clubs fighting for their lives, so they could decide on using known talent rather than giving the youngsters the required experience in key positions that could make or break their season. Fair enough I guess but presents an issue to us as our youth will only be taken by teams a league or two down and whilst they will potentially stand out it is not necessarily good preparation for the top flight.

I’m glad Jenks is having another season at Weat Ham but they knew they were getting a good player. We can leave him there for a season to develop again whilst Debuchy takes the right back spot back and young Hector deputises, when Debuchy leaves (he is already 29/30) we will have Hector and Jenks as cover with good experience behind him.

133. Redders, as far as I’m concerned the build up to the test match is just as important as the match itself. So there! 😀

The supposed Wenger quote I put up at 5.44pm was a spoof.
    The mention of Sanogo and the author Anil Fista were the clues. 🙂

Though he did say some encouraging things about the lad on Arse.com

on the role Akpom will play this season…

That’s up to him. How much? I don’t know but I just believe that it’s an encouragement to do well and to work even harder. He’s a young player and it can lift his confidence. The confidence in the dressing room that you sense from the other players is important as well and that can help him. Let’s not forget it’s a friendly. He’s a good talent but he has to work and show that in [the big] games.

on if Akpom will be loaned this season…

No. I sent him out on loan last year because I thought he needed that. This pre-season, during the season I plan to keep him with us.

on if Akpom will get a chance…

Yeah, it’s down to performance and attitude. He has that grade to make between being a big talent and after an efficient talent week in, week out. That’s of course the target.

Looking at this, I reckon Giroud could have had another 8 or 9 assists last season if our finishing had been up to scratch. 🙂

138. complete ponce says:

Gabriel is doing the Ronaldo tippy-toe thing alongside the BFG.
    Chubby and Iwobi are best mates.
    DeBoosh is still not fit enough to squat in the full Flamini.

139. utter tool says:

Good Morning mes amis. 🙂

Norfolkian, your view, @ 10:21, that anticipation of a potentially great game, in this case the Test Match, is every bit as exciting to the true fan as the game itself, is undeniably true.

My concern was that you were sitting in front of a blank screen, a day early, waiting for something to happen as the result of you confusing your Wednesdays with Thursdays made me want to help you. 😀

Anyway, your idyllic life style in Norfolk with plenty of walking, swimming [or is that wimmin?] and copious quaffing of beers such as Kett’s Rebellion or a pint of Wherry is a good alternative and will make you stop thinking of cricket or anything else. 🙂

142. It’s coming to something serious on the blog when the last coment is from Red X at 8:36am and nobodyb has replied. But then again, his coment is about cricket 🙂

143. ‘morning all, and a special “Good Morning” to dear old Redders. I’m so glad that you have finally remembered your correct name, or at least the initials, and it’s no longer necessary to use the easily remembered “X” when signing in. 😀

I do have an idyllic life style, surrounded by excellent pubs selling a range of fine ales. Ghost Ship, Broadside, IPA, Regatta, Directors Bitter, Wherry, Suffolk Porter, Rum Runner, Once Bittern, Sundew, Bure Gold, Norfolk Champion, Nelson’s Revenge, Norfolk Nog, Admiral’s Reserve, Topaz Gold, Jester, Blackshore Stout, American IPA, Southwold Bitter, Tally Ho!, Explorer, I could go on, but the cricket is on and I’m getting thirsty.

Slurp! Slurp! Burp! Barmy Army! Barmy Army!.

144. You beat me to it Soixante Neuf, I was composing a reply even as you were adding your comment.

This time about beer, not football. 😀

145. Feck NG.. you have a good choice of beers in your neck of the woods…. but then I could say the same about France and its wines 🙂

146. I like the idea of a pint of Nelsons Revenge 🙂

147. 69, there’s a beer brewed in Kent called “Tapping the Admiral” it has hints of brandy in it and harks back to the death of Nelson at Trafalgar.

His body was preserved in a barrell of brandy for the journey back to England, but on opening the barrell it was found to be dry. A small hole had been drilled in the bottom of the barrell by the sailors and all the brandy had been drunk. Thus the phrase “Tapping the Admiral” was coined.

148. utter tool says:

150. utter tool says:

NG try Redwell Beers White IPA, it’s 6% but probably the crispest and most refreshing beer I have had thissummer.

Best place to sample it will be Porkstock http://www.porkstock.co.uk

But if that’s not your thing then I believe the White Horse in Neatishead has it on tap with their own White Horse Lager.

micky – do the players get paid for that (@7:36) ?

my Santi 🙂 🙂

£40m for Benzema? Nope, sorry, I would not call that good business

Arsenal have reportedly made a £15.4 million transfer move for Juventus defender Daniele Rugani.

The 20-year-old defender is one of Italy’s brightest prospects but has his path blocked at the Italian champions by the likes of Giorgio Chiellini and Leonardo Bonucci.

at 188cm he is not huge, but very pretty 🙂

He looks like a member of a boy band Eddie

I could have looked like that. If only that time I was having a wee in that bus depot the bus driver had looked were he was reversing.

157. Shard says:

Eddie

If we’re really in for a young defender, such as Rugani, I would have to think that means that Chambers has been designated as primarily a DM. Some people think this would be a good idea, and Wenger has said that’s where he’ll end up, but I thought he looked more and more convincing as a CB, perhaps Per’s eventual successor.

But it’s certainly intriguing. He’s got the size, and I think has the passing skills. Can he get the positioning aspect right? He probably could, and even if he didn’t get his positioning right immediately, playing him at DM is less risky than playing him at CB I suppose.

Basically, I am now wanting every Arsenal transfer rumour to be true. Not because I think we need it. But because I’m bored 🙂

158. Shard says:

I had bought Rugani for Arsenal on FM12.

Didn’t work out all that well. Sold him for a decent profit though. He later became a regular for Blackburn Rovers in the PL 🙂

159. Shard says:

Vidal to Bayern.

Does that mean Javi Martinez is now going to be available? #DMAlert

See, I’m so bored I’m now making up transfer rumours. Pity I’m not on twitter. I could probably get a few hundred followers in a day.

160. ‘morning all,

GiE, I”ll be walking in the Coltishall area this morning and we’ll probably have lunch in The Kings Head. They have a good range of beers and they are well kept.

They do the hottest Chile Con Carne I’ve ever tried to eat, I love curries and have eaten some famously hot ones but couldn’t finish the CCC when I tried it a few weeks ago.

Next time i’m in the Neatihead area I’ll give the White IPA a go, but if it’s 6% I’ll let my wife drive home. 😀

161. What’s going on with WordPress, I have to log in each time I want to comment and it changes my user name.

162. I don’t want Benzema neither, too much like Giroud in his style of play…. we don’t need two of them! overpriced as well…

Arsene has said in Singapore, that he did not know where the Benzema story had come from, but that Arsenal were not involved — he repeated that he was happy with our squad – but if a quality player became available, and the guy could handle a hot Norfolk chilli con carni and a pint of Norfolk Nog, then he would not rule anything out but would not guarantee any signing.

He seems to have covered every loophole! 🙂

164. RC78 says:

We do not need a CF/ST imho…

We need a FW/Winger that can create goals both in terms of goals and assists from the flank – a player like Pedro or Reuss could do…

We have three players that can play CF/ST already: Giroud, Walcott and Wellbeck…If we push it, we can add Sanchez…Let us not forget that we also have Akpom to groom into the team…

So AW – get us Pedro please…At 25 Mln pounds – he represents value for money…

Imagine:

A: Pedro – Giroud – Sanchez
    B: Walcott – Wellbeck – Akpom

or:
    A: Pedro – Walcott – Sanchez
    B: Wellbeck – Giroud – Akpom

Knowing that our friends Ox and Gnabry can also play on the wings…

165. RC78 says:

AW mentioned ominous though today that we will see if Coquelin can sustain his level from last year so I think AW is in the market for a midfielder that can play holding…His eyes are still on Bender as it seems that Vidal will cross us by going to Munich and that Schnederlin went to Utd…

Ramsey – Bender
    Ozil

Ox – Coquelin –
    Santi or Wilshere

166. RC78 says:

Lacazette also said he could be interested in joining us…He can play like Pedro as well

167. Correction, in my 10.04 I credited The Kings Head with the super-hot chile. It is in fact The Rising Sun that does the fiery dish.

The two pubs are literally next door to each other, they even share a car park, but The Rising Sun has a nice riverside terrace where I have just eaten a fine lunch, washed down witha pint of Ghost Ship. Lovely!

Afternoon all.

Interesting thoughts RC78. Although I have advocated a proven striker as being a key ingredient to us winning the EPL I am reasonably calm as to what we have at the moment, on one proviso……

I still don’t see Giroud as a top first choice number 9 at this level and therefore feel he needs to promote one of the others above him in the pecking order and hope they have a breakthrough season. Walcott is the most obvious candidate and I do hope he starts to get the nod as first choice ahead of Ollie.

Although Rasp’s post is about Benzema I am still not totally sure even though I do state i think he is top class. I still have a sneaking feeling about Aubemayeng from Dortmund as being the one he really wants.

He is already very good but could be a real player, and I feel there is a potential (TH14) Deja Vu here. Playing mostly from wide left but at 6’2″ with blistering pace and an excellent eye for goal I can see the conversion to striker from wide left player as AW’s master plan.

Interestingly I think he has the most similar attributes to the great TH14 that I have seen in a few years.

Would love to see Chuba get some goes as well. I really like the look of him but don’t feel he is ready for a 1st or even 2nd choice yet. I hope he gets some time up front but also remains patient because I can see him as a top striker for us in the future.

I notice there has been mention of who he reminds people of. No-one else (that I know) has mentioned it yet but for me he resembles a young Kluivert. His running style positioning and the way he surges onto the ball all look very similar. Wouldn’t be bad to have the new kluivert would it?

Damn! Just read GB’s 4:03 comment and if I reply now, he won’t be allowed out to play by his mum until next Monday!! 🙂

Anyway, GB, you have trotted out the same old ‘Walcott’ for CF’ schmoozle, as if that has any credence, and I suppose I just cannot resist responding in the same old-same old way.

Walcott has no background as a CF, he does not have the skill set to hold the ball up, or dribble past defenders, and it cannot be denied that every cross from the wing that Giro would be expected to reach, will sail over Theo’s head because his little legs are …….. well, little.

What Theo does have – altho as Bellerin, our fastest player will tell you, Theo’s pace nowadays is over stated – is some pace, and if he is put in by one of our creative players, he does occasionally connect well and score.

But that is it.

I suppose love is blind – so, GB, do you have a man crush on Theo? 😀

Bellerin signs new long-term contract

Arsenal is pleased to confirm that Hector Bellerin has signed a new long-term contract with the club.

The new deal follows a standout first season in the senior side last term.

The 20-year-old full back featured 28 times for the Gunners in 2014/15, impressing with both his mature defensive work and speedy attacking play. He also showed an eye for goal, netting twice during the campaign.

Bellerin joined Arsenal from Barcelona in summer 2011, and progressed through the club’s academy system before earning promotion to the first team last season.

A Spain youth international, he has represented his country at under-17, under-19 and under-21 level.

Everyone at the club looks forward to Hector’s continued progress with the club.

Evening all, hope you enjoyed The Kings Head NG, I always seem to end up in The Recruiting Seargeant when in that neck of the woods.

So Delph has joined City, must say £8m seems a bit of a bargain, and a bit stupid of Villa to insert such a low fee as his buyout when allegedly Benteke’s is £30m and Delph is surely equally as important. Not sure he will play much for them though and is just about making up the homegrown numbers, do all these mid table homegrown players who join City seriously think they will be treated differently to their predecessors? We wonder why there’s a problem with the national team and simply put its greed, these players care more about the pay check than the football. I know I know it’s a short career make hay while the sun shines and all that jazz but the same goes for not playing.

Looks like Arsene is putting our best foot forward………….

Arsenal team v Everton:
    Cech, Bellerin, Koscielny, Chambers, Gibbs, Ramsey, Cazorla, Wilshere, Ozil, Walcott, Giroud

Arsenal subs v Everton:
    Szczesny, Debuchy, Gabriel, Arteta, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Monreal, Flamini, Coquelin, Akpom, Iwobi

Read more at http://www.arsenal.com/live#uk89Lq9Vw2oWqrhV.99

173. GiE, I like the Recruiting Sergeant but it’s nicer to sit by the river when the weather’s good.

Delph went up in my estimation when he turned down a move to the Oilers, now however, he will rot on their bench while counting his petro-dollars.

One nil to The Arsenal, lovely well taken goal by Walcott.

174. 3 – 1, I’m looking forward to reading a post match report by someone….anyone?

I know this is now the Ghost Blog, and one risks talking interminably to oneself – which I actually quite enjoy – that RA is really interesting – even when talking bollix.

That was a really good game today and Theo scored!! (hope GB did not watch it) 🙂 — and the relaxed and fluent style was absolutely top notch and altho it is early days it presages well for the new season.

Additional news also came out today that Theo is deep in contract talks, so I have to suspect that pesky Gooner B has had a word with Arsene – and I am not sure I will ever be able to forgive him! 🙂

You are someone, oh great Norfolkian – so get to it. 🙂

[You are not a ghost that I am imagining chatting to on AA, are you?] 🙂

177. Is there anybody there?

Knock once for yes, twice for no.

I guess that I didn’t receive the memo that AA had closed it’s doors?

179. Red Arnie says:

apols, knot ear, and missed some fantastic posts and great comedy shows. Also missed the game today. bum! such is life!

HWBA yet? Apart from Cech?

180. Oh dear… what’s happened to the blog? Raddy disappears and it grinds to a halt. Where is everyone?

181. One to keep the ‘cute cats’ people happy

New Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech could not hide his delight after his Gunners debut ended with a trophy. “First game, first win, first trophy. Thank you everyone! It was a great week here in Singapore. Keep on winning,” tweeted Cech after the north London side beat Everton 3-1 to win the Barclays Asia Trophy.

crazy lady starter kit???!!! It is DidIt and Chas who have 11 cats between them

Tomorrow I will be buying my ticket to the first game of the new season 🙂 I cannot wait

WHAT ?? “Arsenal are lining up a shock deal to sign Edin Dzeko from Manchester City” – please Dennis, let it be just some rubbish unfounded gos

185. Wow…. there is someone put there. Morning Eddie

hi nb 🙂

I am sooooo bored I started to read Seve Ballesteros book.

187. Not long now Eddie…. I’m sure the season will give us lots to discuss, I’m really looking forward to it. My hopes are higher than normal 🙂

188. I think the boys are starting to play well together, the injuries seem to be reducing so hopefully we’ll have most players available and Arteta thinks we can win the Prem 🙂

oh nb, those are such weak arguments 😦 on those basis we stand no chance whatsoever

I am off, have 4 crazy dogs this weekend, nightmare woof woof

190. I’ve been busy doing the GunnersoreArse Blog this morning, that’s why I’ve been busy on here since silly o’clock. If there is anybody out there with Eddie then there is something to read here:

191. The Cockie Monster says:

I wonder if Raddy has this LP ?…..collectors Item ?.

tell me which is the biggest woose here?

193. Looks as if Eddie broke the blog at 10:20am lol

194. Red Arnie says:

Just in case someone else missed the game yesterday. Like me. 😛

nb – nobody could guess the sweetest dog 🙂

196. utter tool says:

197. Flamini going to Galatasaray and TPIG possibly leaving for Ajax???

198. Red Arnie says:

Northbank. Reliable source? 😛

199. Yes Arnie… I spoke to the Arsenal Tea lady! 🙂

200. Transplant said yesterday when he was 20 that he looked like David Cassidy….. does that mean these days Transplant looks like this ha ha ha

Would make sense to lighten the load a bit, especially to make room for some other additions

Over 21 squad

Sanogo

Under 21’s who we can add to the squad:
    Bellerin
    Chambers
    Gnabry
    Akpom
    ….plus a myriad of others

But if we hadn’t loaned out Jenkinson and Sanogo we would have been over the limit for 25 players. Bellerin and Chambers will need naming in next couple of seasons, admittedly Rosicky, Flamini and Arteta will probably be leaving by then.

Releasing a GK and one midfielder (probably Flamini) would make sense as we would be down to 22 squad, which means we can add another 1 before start of this season and a 2nd and 3rd if injuries force it.

202. GIE

It makes sense to let Flamini go and I can’t imagine Szczesny wanting to play second fiddle to Petra, so it seems logical that he will put in a transfer request. Unless he wants to be Petras’ understudy which I don’t think he would, not after neing our #1 keeper.

203. utter tool says:

204. utter tool says:

Wasn’t Petra Peter Purves’ dog on Blue Peter?

205. utter tool says:

who would look at the background when you have Giroud up front 🙂
    Is Koz pissing in the pool?

207. Kos is nicely free of ink… makes a change for a footballer

208. Chas… I think that was the dogs name on Blue Peter

hahaha, I look like that on a good day 69. When people first meet me they develop a squint.

watch it Didit

211. Is this beer available in Norfolk…

this is brilliant:

When asked which Arsenal legend he would like to play for the current team, midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain was greeted with roars of laughter when he said Nicklas Bendtner.

those glasses were made to measure

214. The Cockie Monster says:

What is Ozil`s tattoo ?…….I thought Muslims were only allowed Geometric designs, not one`s of animals , plants, earthly things etc` !.

215. The Cockie Monster says:

Someone`s messed about with that Benzema in the pool photo !…….am I the only one who saw the “Deep End” sign ?……..unless he`s about 12 foot tall !. 😀

cockie – it is a lion and something about God

217. And Giroud in that photo is signalling something with his hand…. probably what he likes to do in the shower 🙂

look nb, let’s face it – I don’t think Ollie needs to take showers on his own. There are many volunteers to scrub him

219. Eddie…. all men do it, even hunks like Giroud

Eddie

Well spotted. I’m on a surf tour at the moment, and we came out of the sea to watch the surf final live. It was unreal watching the attack in real time.

Glad to see NB has his site up and running. A home for Gunners who have strayed from the path of righteousness 🙂

nb – too much info, thank you.

micky – surf tour? where?

I am in a queue for my West Ham ticket…..

222. Red Arnie says:

motning all. how many more days of silly season torture left? 😛

223. Arnie

43 days, 6 hours and 30 minutes

224. Red Arnie says:

Micky. The Path Of A Righteous Man… 🙂

225. Eddie… I think Micky meant Smurf tour…

Got the ticket!!! An excellent seat and all 🙂
    20 days and 3 hours, cannot wait

227. Red Arnie says:

🙂 🙂 🙂

I have to watch that film again, one of the best ever made

nb – I am into colours now, stay late at night doing these puzzles. They are hard, but I am getting better and better at them. Soon I will be bored again

230. Peaches/Rasp, possible post e mailed to arsenal nuts.

NG – is it about football? no way….

232. Red Arnie says:

Any guesses? 1930, 1931. 1933, 1934. 1998, 1999. And hopefully 2014, 2015? 🙂

Arnie, my guess would be Charity Shield wins but if that is correct then you need to add the following years …………………………….1938 – 1948 – 1991 – 2002 & 2004

234. Red Arnie says:

GN5. Pretty close, but Charity Shield wins in consecutive years. In anticipation of 2015, of course! 😛

235. utter tool says:

236. utter tool says:

237. utter tool says:

238. utter tool says:

what an idiot 🙂 – Liverpool defender Kolo Toure has revealed he is terrified of animals, including his own dog who he hasn’t touched in seven years.

how foocking sick is this?

African footballers as young as 14 are being trafficked to Asia and forced to sign contracts, the BBC has learnt.

utter – I am not sure about Benzema. Real REALLY want Reus whose price tag is about £40m, so they have to sell. I hope I am wrong though

242. Red Arnie says:

I only care about who is best for our team, is good value for maoney and available. Are we in for a last-minute surprise? Perhaps not. We have a good enough team in any case. COYG. 🙂

243. Red Arnie says:

Forgot to mention: and wants to be part of the project. Oozing “class” will be an added welcome qualification. 🙂 World Cup or Copa winner? cannot complain. 🙂 all other numpties – cannot care less for! 🙂 🙂 🙂

We have a New Post …………………………