Is it Cech Mate against The Pole in Goal?

It is with a heavy heart today that I delve into the defensive side of our game. The Goal Keeper.

The blog world is alive with stories of the imminent arrival of Petr Cech for an apparent £14M.

Sz had an absolute stinker against Southampton for sure. Maybe he was hungover from New Year’s celebrations. The game was on January 1st after all.  Who knows. Then, of all times, he chose post match to have a fag in the shower when he was already in the dog house. Got demoted to Cup Keeper, and in came Ospina as No 1.

Thing is Arsene played Szczesny in the final. You can read that as a “thanks and goodbye” or Arsene effectively re-instating him as No1 (it’s not true AW always sticks with the Cup Keeper in the final). Either way you read that choice, a fairly substantial level of forgiveness had to be in the air.

My personal thoughts are that Szczesny still has everything to be a top keeper. He needs to grow up fast. To my mind, there are strong similarities between him and Nic Bendtner in terms of a casual professional attitude, but that is very much my own guesswork. Even top keepers make mistakes, and take away the shocker of the Southampton game, and I think our Pole had a very good season.

Would Cech coming in help, or hinder (he’ll want first team football) our own current keepers, and more importantly, the overall strength of the defence?

written by Micky Didit

80 Responses to Is it Cech Mate against The Pole in Goal?

1. Sav from Australia says:

Nice post. I think Szczesny has all the raw materials and just needs to sort out his focus. I read on another blog that perhaps Cech is to be the mentor for the next few years if he comes and then Szczesny will have his time to develop further. “If’ Cech comes, this is likely the case.

Does that mean we sell Ospina? What does the arrival of Cech mean for the squad dynamics? If there is a downside to new players – and in particular a Chelsea player’s – arrival, its upsetting the esprit de corps of our jolly band. They seem quite united with no sulking Cesc or venomous RVP types – at least from the outside.

2. ButtFlaps says:

Good bye Shcezeny, you are like bounced cheque, now we get real CECH!!!

Sav. I have read that book. Fascinating period of history.

GB. I still blame you 🙂

Eddie. Read about Wellington’s treatment of the Irish

Thanks Micky, a nice little teaser for a spursday 🙂

I don’t think there is much to choose between Szczesny and Ospina.

They have different strengths that if combined in one keeper (Cech?) would give us a world class man at the back.

They are both pretty good shot stoppers. Szczesny’s extra height makes him more able to deal with the high balls (as he showed in the FA Cup final) and Ospina’s calmness and decision making is certainly better than TPIG’s at the moment.

We’ve only just signed Ospina so I think it is unlikely he will go. Maybe we could loan Sz out to another prem club for a season to see how he copes – if not I think the arrival of Cec could see him leaving.

5. ralph says:

Cech will b our no1 goalkeeper wen he makes dat move.

Micky. Writing that post must have hurt. Do you really care what happens in our own half? If everything functions well up front it doesn’t matter who is between the posts!

I would like to see Cech but very much doubt we are in for him unless AW thinks Szczesny is a troublesome influence in the dressing room in which case the Pole will change from a Gooner to a Goner

Ooops, did Micky write the post? I put it up in a hurry 😕

Shhh Rasp. No-one will notice

9. Shard says:

Wow. The poll already has over 100 votes.

I voted for Cech over Szczesny because even though I think Szcz has what it takes to be a top goalkeeper, he simply isn’t giving his best right now. If he can settle down and stop acting like a numpty then maybe he can realise his potential.

If at all possible I would loan him out for a season. But then Cech isn’t really being a mentor. So maybe the plan is to keep all three of them at the club. Let Szcz learn from Cech and maybe play in the League Cup, while Cech and Ospina play the games in the PL, CL and Fa Cup.

Let’s not forget Martinez is a good young keeper too. I read he might be sent on loan to Getafe. Maybe he could do a Courtois, playing in Spain for a few years.

😆 Raddy….

We could have put a second poll up asking whether we’d prefer Cech or Loris?

Thanks for doing that Rasp

Me: part is in the “if he ain’t good enough for Chelsea” camp, part he’d be a good teacher/model for Sz, but the biggest part says waste of money, playing time is what is best for Sz and we already have a goalkeeping coach.

Also, I’d like to see how over one more season whether Sz has learnt from the dropping and kick up the backside post Southampton.

A mature, more measured Sz could be a very good keeper.

Then add the £14M to the striker budget 🙂

Strewth

91% and 130 votes for Cech

Rasp,
    But the Loris comparison would not take into account budget.
    Think striker, Baby 🙂

Mind you Rasp, I sometimes forget what a defensive minded all-men-back doomer you are 🙂

15. Shard says:

Oh but I do think this transfer won’t happen. There is no way chelsea are going to strengthen us. Their entire transfer policy has been to manipulate the market to gain an advantage over their rivals. Loaning out players to clubs who could take points off their rivals. Buying up and stockpiling players rival clubs are interested in.

Some might point to Mata, but he was sold in January, after they had played a struggling ManU twice, who still had City and Arsenal to play, and for big money. We’re not going to pay huge money for Cech, and we’re among their biggest threats for the PL and I don’t believe Abramovich would agree to strengthen us.

The better a team gets, the smaller the available margins for improvement. At the highest level, a 1% improvement can make all the difference. So if Cech is even just a little better than the other two, he is probably worth having.

I read an article somewhere that said that Lloris had saved the totts 9 points. Add 9 points to our total last season and we’d have won the EPL.

17. Shard says:

Ummmm.. Didn’t we finish 12 points behind the chavs? 😛

My only reservation is the one raised by Red Arse (I’m not calling you ‘X’) in that Cech has never seemed to be quite the same since his head injury.

Good point Shard 🙂

Hi Shard
    Maybe Maureen doesn’t believe Cech would strengthen us, rather it would eat up £xM from our transfer budget and thus effectively weaken us
    He’s no fool

Shard. 9.57. Exactly, same as MC and MU. Buying our best players weakens us – it worked.

Micky. We are up to our eyes in cash.

23. Shard says:

micky

So either this deal isn’t happening, or we’re being sold a lemon.

However, I still think that Cech will be better than crazy szcz and diminutive david. He played quite well when he was called on this season. I remember thinking a few times that we could do with someone who stops shots like that.

As to whether he comes for crosses enough. I don’t know. If someone says he doesn’t I’ll accept it. But keepers are hard to judge and Chelsea’s style of play might have a lot to do with how good or bad he seems in some departments.

If buying Cech is a possibility, I think we should, but I agree with you that it shouldn’t be at the cost of quality addition further up the field.

24. Shard says:

Anyway. Enough of that. My travel plans are now confirmed. I will be arriving in the UK on the 4th of August and leaving on 1st of Sept. I will be travelling to Ireland around the 6th till maybe the 12th of August.

This means the only home game I will be in London for is the 22nd v Liverpool. Evonneeeeeeeee!!

25. ‘morning all.

Nice one Micky, like Big Raddy I thought you never watched what went on in our half. Perhaps a sneaky glance now and then. 😀

It’s got to be Cech. Ospina’s good but we need better, Szczesny’s had enough chances and seems to blow them every time.

A no-brainer Redders?

shard – ooooohhhhh, that’s a tough one. Each time I go to Pool games we win
    Ok, I will try just for you

I never thought I would find myself defending Szczesny, but here I am fighting his corner. I think we should replace Ospina with the best we can afford and keep Szcz warming the bench

Nice Micky

I would like Chesney to succeed. He has come out of our youth team and though that might not be important to some others, for me it is.

Chesneys problem is one of anxiety. He plays the game as though people “May be looking at him”. He has to learn and master these feelings with the realisation that “People are looking at him”

You have to be part of the show and embrace it. Look at Paul Daniels? Do you think he worries people think for sure he must be a 1970s Groper? Of course not.

I think I will write to Chesney. A few sessions on the couch with me and he will be a new man. Confident, assured, and an avid fan of the classic “Saturday Night Fever”

28. Shard says:

Evonne

Transplant
    You light up my days 🙂

Shard
    Beware!
    NB built a uk visit around a Saturday ko and it changed. Pool may be a Saturday now, but could end up being 4am on Monday.
    Although I know nothing about these things

31. X says:

Hi Fellas, and Fellets. 🙂

Had some medical issues this week – bugger and it has taught me Patience really is a nice nurse.

Got to chatting to another guy who was twiddling the knobs on his clarinet while waiting, and I asked to have a look. He passed it to me, and in seconds I was reassured to know I was as clueless after his explanation as I was before.

He wasn’t seeing anyone, just waiting for his grandma who is 90 something and a terrific character. She is bored in her large empty house near Henley on the Thames, and is looking for someone to keep her company. She wants someone who is a ‘character’ in his own right, doesn’t mind if he does not have any hair, provided he is kind and funny.

Terry — I thought. Are there any conditions I asked – no came back the answer, not really but she cannot be bothered to change her appearance for anyone, including a fine mustache on her top lip.

Don’t worry, I said, Terry is a gentleman, and anyway likes mustaches. She is also very, very fat. Also not a problem, I said to her as she had returned and was listening, Terry love’s bouncy castles and he will adjust.

OK, she said – tell your boy I see him, [I think she was of Italian origin] and maybe he bring a little present for me – say a new fangled thing-a-jig, like a straight razor, maybe to cut off my goatee beard – maybe to cut his throat, if he messes with me. And I have lots of friends he might like too.

What the hell are you waiting for Terry – you are so well suited for the Gigolo hall of fame – and it will drive the Monster Cockie crazy with jealousy. 🙂

32. X says:

Chesney for me!

33. X says:

Norfolk

How dare you call me a ‘no brainer’. Grr. 🙂

Micky,

That is a classic “no brainer” 90% of the votes to date are for Cech with TPIG getting a measly 6%.

If we did manage to sign Cech it would go a long way towards putting us back into a competitive position in the PL.

Shard it’s more than likely that TV will have the Liverpool game switched to Sunday August 23rd.

On another note this must have been a messy flight!

……………………………………………………………………………….

Shortly after a British Airways flight had reached
    its cruising altitude, the captain announced:
    “Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your captain.
    Welcome to Flight 293, non-stop from London Heathrow to
    New York. “The weather ahead is good, so we
    should have a uneventful flight. So, sit back,
    relax, and……..
    .OH… MY GOD!”

Silence followed…………………..

Some moments later, the captain came back on the
    intercom. “Ladies and Gentlemen, I’m
    sorry if I scared you. While I was talking to you, a
    flight attendant accidentally spilled coffee in my
    lap. You should see the front of my pants!”

From the back of the plane, an Irish
    passenger yelled……. “For the luvva
    Jaysus…..you should see the back of mine!”

Terry 🙂

Thanks Micky, a nice teaser and one I have an opinion on ( for a change 🙂 ). Whatever my opinion is will change though to fall in line with GIE’s opinion. I voted undecided. I maintain we are a maximum of 3 players away from the best team in the EPL but have the keeper as number 3 on the priority list.

If you want to know what I have at number 1 ask Micky because we communicate through ESP and he knows my mind like no other (we did try and get Mancini involved in the ESP thing but had to abandon it immediately, because even the briefest glimpse into his mind landed both Micky and I in a white padded cell for a few weeks).

I would to a degree echo Re-x-arse’s air of slight caution. Cech has undoubtedly been a world class keeper, at one point arguably in the top 3 in the world and the best in the EPL. Is he still that keeper or is he now just a very good keeper but not in the top tier anymore? Who are the world class keepers and is he one of them.

I do get to encounter a lot of people in my line of work, (woodland car parks are wonderful places), and as such have sounded out some chav fans. Here is the information fed to me by one season ticket holder :

His footballing skills as a keeper have never been great, e.g ball control and kicking, but he would make up for that in other ways in the past.

He has slowed down a bit so is not so quick to get down and then get back up again.

Recently it has been noted that he doesn’t like coming out to claim the ball, e.g from a corner, and prefers to stay on his line which at times is a problem because it was the right time to come and claim the ball.

Conclusion of said individual (from about 18 months ago) was that Chav’s needed another new world class keeper as he felt Cech wasn’t this anymore.

So the question to all those who feel he may be the missing piece of the jigsaw, do you feel he is a significant upgrade as he is now or is your assessment based on him from the past? Will he at 33 and with a serious head injury under his belt decline slowly each year from now?

It is interesting to note that one of the perceived (Chav fans) problem with Cech was a reluctance to come out and claim the ball. It is almost the opposite with Szc who has no lack of confidence with this to the point that his main proble is coming off the line when he shouldn’t.

What if Cech has just dropped below that world class level, he is unlikely to move back into it with a likely trajectory of a downward spiral. If we accept Szc is not currently quite a world class keeper, it could still be that he has moved into the same bracket as Cech now but Szc is on an upward trajectory so has the time to move into the world class bracket that Cech has possibly just left behind for good.

I think it would be dangerous to rid ourself of a young keeper who ticks most of the boxes but not all of them, who could be a custodian for many years, for an older keeper who may not genuinely be a massive improvement, just one we thought was due to past observations.

The one other point I can’t dismiss is that Cech has always played behind a far more solid and organised defence throughout his Chelsea career. Szc has had to play behind what is, lets face it, a shambles at times, albeit now improving. Can we compare the 2 on this basis? For me you would need to have looked at Cech in an Arsenal goal for the first 15 matches of last season and vice versa Szc in the Chelsea goal to really know.

Ospina has done really well for me, and I like the fellow, but I still feel that Szc has the raw materials to be the better (and potentially world class) keeper. I would have no problem with Cech coming in but we will not keep all 3 happy so I think for me it would be Szc I would keep, and then as some of you say he could mentor Szc over the next few seasons, likely with Szc replacing him as permanent number 1 in maybe 2 seasons and Cech becoming 2nd choice. That is maybe the ideal solution.

39. Sav from Australia says:

How is Cech’s record for the Czech Republic? Anybody good with those stats things?

40. Aaron says:

Szcz all day everyday!
    Wenger surely knows better than this amusing poll.
    chavs ain’t selling to us anyway.
    Szcz has all the right tools, already played for us in over 145 games. Saved so many points it is not funny. Played in front of a clown act for a D in the first 15 last year. Anyone would have shipped quite a few.
    Look at FA Cup final, solid D, Coq in front, Szcz caught the balls floated in early and just needed to be even keeled- he did just that. We won easily. Lather rinse repeat.
    He has the potential to be even better than Seaman in the long run, and that is saying a lot!

GB “I do get to encounter a lot of people in my line of work, (woodland car parks are wonderful places),” 😀 😀

Worthy of Terry which is a huge compliment

Aaron, I have noticed that you comment every time we are discussing Szczesny. You are clearly an admirer, fair play to you, but as far as I am concerned he will never be on the same plane as Seaman, let alone on the same level

43. Shard says:

Some interesting reports around the Cech deal which are making me question my earlier belief that it’s not going to happen.

Firstly, reports that Ospina is to be sold to Fenerbahce. Ok that’s just media deciding that 3 Gks don’t fit into 2 slots. But the Mirror is also reporting that one of our GK coaches, Tony Roberts is going to go to Swansea.

Having read the Chelsea GK coach’s comments on Cech wanting to stay in England, Arsenal being a good option, and Spurs not having the same ambitions as Arsenal, my first thought was that he’s angling for a job with us.

Still would be strange for Chelsea to sell Cech to us, but I’m starting to believe in its possibility.

Oh and the guy from ArsenalfanTV said Gazidis basically confirmed Arsenal’s interest in Cech, which of course could be him lying, or could be Gazidis lying too, so doesn’t mean much in itself, but adds to the noise around the deal.

Are Chelsea in trouble with FFP, or at least in need of extra funds because of it. Micky, how would you feel if they took 14m for Cech and added it to their striker fund? 🙂

It’s quite amusing going back over comments

Didit talks to himself
    RA talks to himself
    GN5 talks to himself
    GB talks to himself

How about a new rule. Meet on the hour only, and if that doesn’t work, on the even hours only 🙂

Shard

“Micky, how would you feel if they took 14m for Cech and added it to their striker fund?”

My hope is that for once in his life, Raddy is right ie we’re up to the gills in cash ourselves 🙂

Writing a starter post can be so easy. Over to Newsnow and simply vote on the hottest sounding rumour. I quite like Maureen’s noises about Falcao. Could be another Torres moment

I voted Szczesny for simple reason I think Cech lost his edge after the head injury.

I also think there is s myth about Maureen’s goalkeeping duo from last season, when called upon Courtois made a couple of errors from crosses, namely when Terry wasn’t in position marshalling the area. Chelsea haven’t conceded goals from set pieces regularly but it is not due to the man in the sticks more the organisation in front of that man.

So don’t expect Cech to come in and have some instant understanding with our back 4, there has it would appear to me developed an understanding between Ospina, Kozzer and BFG. The Cup Final was the only time I have seen a similar understanding between Sz and his centre backs. Maybe he has learned whilst watching Ospina or maybe it was just the cup final plan being drummed in for a week.

I still think Sz has what it takes, I reckon from memory that Joe Hart made more mistakes than Sz last season, Mignolet too, Courtois about even.

I said that any opinion I have would change instantly to fall in line with GIE’s, only to find that GIE’s view was very similar to mine. I am now bigging myself up as a goal-keeping expert, humble individual that I am :).

My next door neighbour always wanted a pet but is petrified of all things on 4 legs unless they are furniture 🙂

Haha GoonerB I responded before reading many comments, having read back through I would tend to agree with you. I don’t actually think Szczesnys problem is over confidence when coming for the ball I think it’s boredom. He feels like he needs to contribute, those of us old enough to remember Seaman would know he very rarely dropped the ball at crosses or punched the ball. Mainly because he never got stuck in crowds of players, and only committed to the ball she could win cleanly.

Here’s my take on keepers/defenders responsibilities to a crossed ball:

High ball into box from deep : call early attack at its highest point, defenders retreat to goal line, invariably the challenge coming from an opposition centre forward will result in a foul as you’ll be able to use arms as height advantage.

High cross from wings 18 yards out or less : call early, attack late claim at its highest point with your arms, defenders clear out of way.

Whipped cross from wings : stay on your line, tell defenders to attack it

Near post corner : stay between near post and middle of goal, expect flick on, but be close enough to get to near post if player goes for goal. Make sure you have defender in front and behind of near post

Corner to middle of area : if it’s high call early attack late, highest point. If it’s low in 6 yard box come deal with it as best you can, if it’s low to outside 6 yard box leave well alone, not many players should beat you with a header from over 8 yards out if they have pressure, if you’ve left your line they have less to do with the header to score.

Far post high : yours if you can get there cleanly but as soon as your backing up you have all kinds of dangers.

For me Szczesny’s problem is coming too early he gets involved in a melee of arms and bodies and can’t make his reach count. At best inexperience and boredom at worst bad judgement. Also the other bugbear of keepers is allowing opposition strikers to crowd you on the line by not telling your defender to eff off.

If a opponent comes and stands on your toes at a corner why allow a defender to stand there too? Then of two centre forwards come and stand on you there’s two defenders now there’s four players in close proximity to you and blocking your route to the ball, tell the defenders to give you room and pick the player up when they come off you. This serves two purposes, refs and linesman can see clearly who has obstructed you, secondly you have less bodies to get through. Watch the Premier League and you will see this happen time and time again, and the worst thing Szczesny (and many others) do in this situation is start jostling for position meaning that you are not concentrating on the ball and have not got the best starting position. Ignore the opponent, and carry on as if he isn’t there, show that he is effecting your concentration and he will do it more and bring friends, ignore him and he will soon buffer off to try and actually do something useful for his team.

I find it a bit strange that so many voted for Cech over Szcz.
    Cech only made 15 appearances in all comps last season. Does anyone remember if he’s a decent GK?

Having said that, he does seem like an Arsenal player.

Poor old Ospina seems to have few fans amongst the twatterati despite his banging stats. 🙂

Szcz versus Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-spiiii-na

With Cech in the mix

57. stevepalmer1 says:

We pay 42 mil for a marquee MF we pay 35 mil for a Marquee forward, and then we look to buy an old man as a keeper. where’s our vision.

All those young keepers out there and we look at one with a couple of seasons left in him, and has been kicked out of another club because he is not good enough to be their No one.

Lets spend big, there are some very good keepers, young with years of service left, put a bid in for one of them, and show the vision for the future.

Motning transfer fans

In the wake of goss. I just youtubed Jackson Martinez

It is a massive NO thank you. Not one speedy dribble, flick, bang goal. He’s awful.

Right. Next 🙂

59. Shard says:

Wow. What a comment from GIE. That’s like a goalkeeping manual.

steve

But we already have a good young keeper with potential in Szczesny. Who is homegrown as well, and this needs to be considered because Greg Dyke seems to want to push the HG squad members up to 12 from 8. This may or may not happen but it’s better to be prepared.

Why would we get in a similar keeper in terms of age, potential and ability? Especially considering that Ospina is also young, and there is also Martinez (also HG) behind them.

So unless there’s another young Manuel Neuer out there, it’s either Cech (or another older keeper) to act as a solid option for two or three years, or stick with what we have.

Terrific comment from GIE.

I never played in goal …. too scared.

Who shall we “do” today?

so have we decided what to do about our goalie situation?

There you go, just as I suggested – sell Ospina

Petr Cech, 33, has reached an agreement to join Arsenal from Chelsea, having been assured he will be the club’s first-choice goalkeeper. (Daily Mirror)

Cech’s arrival at Arsenal will result in Gunners keeper David Ospina, 26, joining Fenerbahce for £4m. (Times – subscription required)

Yes Eddie, AA’s real experts, led by me of course, and backed up with those with the most enormous football brains like Exile and GB speak with one voice….Cech OUT, Szer IN IN IN 🙂

Cech in as first keeper, Szcz warming the bench, Ospina out.
    I am no expert, but that is exactly what I suggested 🙂

Cech in Ospina out would be my ideal but surely no-one believes anything written in the Daily Mirror?

Morning all. Great comment from GIE last night. AS I said I agree with everything he said. It was almost as if he was reading my mind with that comment 🙂

BTW, a post of sorts sent to nuts.

68. Red Arnie says:

nice one, Micky. 🙂 and sorry, knot bin ear! 😦 Busy time in the academic calendar, but more importantly, things have happened. I will say more late tonite or early motning tomoro. 🙂

I cannot see Cech coming. we have two good goalkeepers and Cech is too good for a third choice. In any case, we need to develop Martinez as well.

Unless one of Szcz or Osp are leaving. Will Szcz leave? Perhaps, but his chips are a bit down. Maybe Arsene has had enough of his (and his dad’s) drama.

Will Ospina leave? Cannot see that happen. If Szcz leaves, and we get Cech, it will be as the second GK. Cnnot see us buy a reject from a competitor as first choice. Gone are those days, hopefully. 🙂

69. Red Arnie says:

Top stuff, GoonerB and GiE. 🙂

Arnie, the media is full of reports that Ospina is off to Fernebache and Cech is coming in. Maybe all hype but there is an awful lot of smoke.

71. Red Arnie says:

GoonerB. hmmm. why would he want to leave? And why would Arsenal want him to leave?

Havent had much time to look at the rubbish rumours lately. but what is a silly season without a healthy dose of speculation? 😛 having said that, if there is a lot of smoke, that suggests a smoke screen. Are we landing someone big? 😛

In any case, if Ospina leaves and Cech arrives. I vote for Szcz as first choice and Cech fighing for this first choice place. Until such time as Szcz acts like a tool and Cech proves himself to be unworthy of a Chavs tag. 🙂

Ooops Southampton away on Boxing Day. Can’t see Sz starting that one 🙂

micky – Xmas is ok, traditionally not real boozing time. The New Year is though, he would need a week to sober up

Post sent by GB

Eddie,
    The sun blazes, the surf is perfect and I am waiting like a bloody zombie for one friggin’ phone call. Could do with a GB post to agree with while I wait 🙂

Been out and just got back Micky.It could be that the powers that be have perused the post and thought “we can’t put that rubbish out there 🙂

Still they have put up my tripe before in times of desperate need 🙂

GB
    Sometimes Rasp goes out delivering bunnies, and Raddy may be working. Big is completely out of action for six weeks soon 😦

In your fine post, did you name names for expensive forwards? 🙂

I’ve sorted GoonerB’s post just trying publish it …….. Back in a minute

78. We have a New Post ……………………..

We can do the expensive forward thing on another post Micky, as I do love an expensive forward post. This one is about midfield.